Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

L by Lolita Lempicka

Well, I like it. I'm not a musk person, nor a heavy vanilla person. But sometimes you just want to smell sweet, thick, spicy, salty, musky and vanillay.

It is possibly too sweet for some, but this one has an adult edge to it's young at heart notes. And it has cinnamon. I love cinnamon. It just so barely veers shy of sticky cinnamon bun, and I appreciate it for that. L is young at heart, with enough maturity to know that all those labels thrown around really don't matter.

BTW, I recently sampled F. Malle Musc Rav. This has a similar vibe to it, although more vanilla. MR was too musky for me, but L hits the mark a little easier. If the Malle is a little too pricey for you, you may want to give this one a shot. Same perfumer also.

Oriental Lounge by Different Company

This is easy to throw in the oriental category, but it indeed does have a lighter feel to it. There is a green edge that runs almost all the way through the life of the fragrance that keeps it from becoming cloying or heavy. I think it is the curry leaf note that I am smelling. It's an herbal, green note that pops in shortly after the familiar bergamot opening.

The amber pretty quickly settles in and stays all the way through. It is a soft amber, but very present. Mid way, a very nice rose note projects just a hint (tiny) bit of powder, but that is about all that shifts and changes in this fragrance.

I enjoyed Oriental Lounge very much, and I do think it offers a new twist to a very tried and true genre. If you want a fresher, lighter take on the big orientals, certainly give this a try. It is well done and smells great.

Champagne de Bois by Sonoma Scent Studio

Well, who could resist a name like that?
    This little sandalwood beauty was a pleasure to wear. I did not get a hugh blast of aldehydes in the opening, but just enough to start off on a light foot. Almost immediately, the sandalwood drifts in, spicy and not too sharp. I can smell cloves, but something is softening up both the clove and sandalwood (jasmine maybe?). I don't really get distinct floral notes, but just a blend of the listed main ingredients. After hours and hours of this beautiful, woody spice mixture (more sandalwood than spice), a hint of amber creeps in to coast through till the end. Overall, maybe a bit linear, but a very nice sandalwood scent throughout.
    I got about 7 - 8 hours and then still going as a very subtle skin scent.

There is an obvious comparison to Bois des Iles, and yes, they do smell similar. Chanel's aldehydes kick up more, it is more floral and the spices are a bit different. I actually think the sandalwood note in Champagne is more pronounced and a bit drier.

Champagne de Bois is a very pleasing sandalwood fragrance that I would highly recommend to lovers of sandalwood fragrances. Unisex also.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

This is a beauty! It opens with a distinct stem/leafy green note, like a tomato garden in the 90 degree heat of summer. There is a slight pineapple note introduced that serves to soften the garden note and sweeten it. This doesn't stand out, but was a surprise and I liked it.

Then the rose - a red rose, not pink or white. I'm not a rose fan, but this was soft and transparent, and gave the impression that the rose was floating on dew. While not aquatic at all, I do sense the "water" of the name. It sweetens slightly after several hours, but possibly this is just the stem note fading.

Lovely, simple composition. This is not daring or pretentious, but makes a statement nonetheless.

Very much a thumbs up for this rose fragrance!

Iris 39 by Le Labo

To me, this is a violet predominant fragrance, with iris being pushed fairly well to the background. For that reason, it started to get on my nerves after a while.
    It opens nice and green, with some spices that make it very interesting. Ginger! This gives it a tang that was pleasant. But the iris never jumped out for me. It felt more soft floral, soft spicy floral. It was very airy and light throughout, until a hit of patch moves in to add some earthy weight. But overall, the violet still hangs on. So it is airy, green but slightly earthy. Never powdery nor rooty iris.
    I just couldn't get along with this iris fragrance. One of the few iris themed fragrances that I disliked.
    It gets a neutral because it is well constructed.

likouala_man's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

Himalaya is a fragrance which has 'moments'. First there is the opening moment, the citrus blast together with some spicy pepper and some accord which just comes off 'creamy'. It is very delicious at this point, heady, intoxicating. Later the warm woods blend in and it is still very beautiful. Then even later there is a moment of sourish, conventional amber which I don't like much, but this too passes and the drydown is soft, close to the skin, and nice. I've owned Himalaya a couple of times over the years. The memory of it stays with me. There is something about it that calls you back.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Tiare by Ormonde Jayne

First sniff, and this smells like an ice cube sounds when it cracks upon meeting water. Tiare is poised between the crisp verdancy of Cristalle and the armpit muskiness of Edmond Roudnitska's Diorella, while its floral core is akin to Dominique Ropion's Carnal Flower for its no-expense-spared attitude to materials (note the oiliness of Pilkington's scents on your skin). However I'd recommend Tiare as more generous than either its Chanel or Dior forebears, straddling influences of the citrus (mandarin, lime), floral (freesia, water lillies, ylang-ylang), green (vetiver), and chypre (moss), and all headed for the usual Ormonde woody diminuendo.

Luminous, quenching, and entirely unfussy despite its classical heritage.

I am King by Sean John

This opens with an indistinguishable fruit smell, but hard pressed, I would say orange and pineapple. The pineapple was the only saving grace here, as I really like pineapple notes. There was an attempt at a synthetic lime note, but not well executed.

It never really shifted from here, but did attempt to introduce a hint of vetiver to close things out. The closing out was approximately 1.5 hours after the beginning. Poof, gone.

Gents, pass on this one and keep sniffing other options. Your money would be much better spent.

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

I was introduced to Tatiana in the 70's by several members of my family as birthday presents. This do to the fact that my name ( not my nom de plume, Theodora) is a diminutive of Tatiana. I do not suggest buying someone a perfume just because it shares their name. But actually, I did like the original. It was a fresh white floral with cool green notes. Now it's like a Lily-of-the-Valley soliflore - a cheap, acidic soliflore. Tatiana always had a lot of sillage and still does. Unfortunately, that's no longer a good thing!

Once Upon a Time pour Homme by Kenzo

Woody, and mysterious - for being a Kenzo fragrence - Changes character alot. Starts out with a spicy character, then goes more into wood, and the end note is soft and sweet. It's an evening fragrence for sure. Heavier than the other Kenzos i've tried.

Nocturnes by Caron

Oh, Nocturnes! One of the nicer BIG eighties scents. Floral with spice is always a good thing in my book. I haven't given this a smell in years, but I hope it's doing well.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Classy and elegant fragrence. I would noramlly not fall for this kind of scent - normally i like more woody, and heavy scents - but I was looking for something for work, and this perfume does make me feel self asure, since it's not too avant garde, and not to personal. Just like said in an earlier review: It's a scent that I will take on for work on imporant meetings, where I don't want to be too personal, but still give an elegant impression.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Booring, flat and doesn't speak to me...

Flora Danica by Royal Copenhagen

I loved Flora Danica when it first came out. It was a lovely floral, fresh and vibrant. It lives now only in my memory, but I may find a vintage sample to sniff - for old times sake!

Kenzo Power Cologne by Kenzo

Quite different from the Kenzo Power EdP. A sweet and "round" fragrance. I have to try it again...

mnaonbn's avatar

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The overall effect is a hospital or dental office smell. This is the cold/metallic/disinfectant facet of iris along with overtones of woods, smoke, soap, spices, leather, and flowers. [3 out of 5 stars]

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 May, 2011)

Kiliwia's avatar

Pearl by Apothia

After wearing Pearl by Apothia a few times, the word that comes to mind is SMOOTH. From start to finish it's a nicely balanced and full-bodied scent. Quite long lasting, but never overbearing in any regard. It opens with a slight citrus note and then becomes all about orris and amber, with a hint of musk. It dries down to a lovely, warm skin scent. It's subtle and elegant, perfect for any occasion.

The notes are shiso leaf, plum blossom, peony, orris and warm golden amber.

Pearl was made in 2009 to celebrate 30 years of Ron Robinson at Fred Segal in Los Angeles. The perfumer is Stephen Nilsen of Givaudan. It's available in edp, in either 15 ml or 50 ml.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2011)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

cK one by Calvin Klein

I agree with the "smelled it a million times" constatation, but non the less - so appealing, attractive, fresh, youthful, cheerful and free. No mistake in owning it, no matter the fact it is overworn just like AdG.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2011)

blueyezz's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Intense citrus and greener than green top notes, then a violet floral heart. I was waiting for the leather basenote....and waiting. Nothing. What a shame.

My skin chemistry seems to eliminate leather notes, leaving the supporting, less interesting accords behind. This only seems to happen if the leather is in the drydown. I'm allowed brief moments of leathery pleasure in Chanel's CdR and Dzing! as the leather makes a welcome appearance from the get go. But they to they disappear on me in the drydown, leaving either a rather dull floral or simply nothing.

EDIT: OK, I'm revising my review from neutral to a thumbs up. I've got over the fact that I struggle to find the leather. This stuff is greeeeeeeen on me in a rather sharp and bitter way. Its also a sillage monster, so I go easy on that trigger.

What perplexes me is the seemingly numerous formulations of this stuff. I can only get the EdP here in London which smells good. Am I right in thinking there is more than one formulation of the EdP? Are the EdT and pure parfum very different?

Anyway, the EdP I've tried is excellent.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 August, 2011)

Woodhue by Fragrances of France

I was absolutely gaga over this scent in High School. So much so that I would douse myself with it and became a social outcast for a brief period. It was a lesson well learned, that economy is good with some things - especially strong perfumes! I so loved the woodiness of the fragrance. I think it led to my love affair with chypres. I haven't smelled this scent in years and quite frankly only resently found out it's still in production. Maybe I should give it another try!

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 August, 2011)

Gold by Donna Karan

Gold EDT comes on strong and in your face with a beautiful, spicy lily. It does indeed have a greenish watery note (the previously mentioned cucumber note) that does not take away from the intensity of this fragrance. Instead, it combines to add the illusion of "dew" on the flower. This is thick, creamy and intense for the first hour or so.
    Then it takes an about face. The amber rises up, and the scent calms down to a skin scent. It's a beautiful one, with the spiciness of the lily combining with the warmth of the amber. But I've rarely seen the switch turned so quickly from loud to quiet.
    In both phases, this fragrance sings it's fresh yet intense beautiful song all the way til the end - which for me, is about 4-5 hours later. Again, a skin scent for the last 3-4 hours.
    Lovely, and I would imagine the EDP would be also. The EDP could possibly be worth investigating just for the bottle alone! That's a perfume bottle!

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st September, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Knize Sec by Knize

Launched in 1985 Sec has a drastically dry citrus/frankincense/sage opening enriched in the drydown by amber, shy flowery accords, a remarkable coriander note and hints of leather. Sort of a dried to the bone Knize Ten. Not very much to add as this composition is quite simple and linear yet incredibly satisfying. Maybe not one of the most distinctive perfumes around but If you're into straight-forward, austere frankincense fragrances you'll probably dig this. I do.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 December, 2011)

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I think all the talk about peanut butter had me a little nervous, and this sample kept getting shoved to the bottom of the pile.

Ahhhhhhhh, how wrong I was! This is my version of a comfort scent. Well blended (another JC Ellena), using minimal notes that stand out, but creating a sum that it better than it's parts.
    The opening is fennel for sure, with the iris note rising (pun intended) into the smell of a country kitchen during baking. Flour is easily imagined, but this is a doughy iris note that is very prominent. It warms into the most natural and comforting smell - the kind that only can come out of a bakery or kitchen. Soft sandalwood then creeps in. The combination, and the whole experience, is just cozy and warm - not gourmand, but just a comfort-of-home type smell.

Lovely. Almost more of a smell or experience rather than a perfume, but I wasn't bothered by that at all. This one has a similar feel to another Ellena scent, L'Eau d'Hiver, but I like the Farine much better.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 September, 2012)

cocogirl's avatar

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

From the moment this touched my skin, it smelled exactly like an air freshener found in a rest area restroom. Not being sarcastic or snotty. That is what sprang immediately to mind and it did not fade. Sweet, fruity - not always a bad thing in my book. But this just did not work on me

Eventually, with the dry down came a nice warm vanilla. However, I could still detect that floral scent that does not agree with me.

Mercifully, it is short lived on my skin like many other fragrances. Whew. For a change, I am relieved.

Totally eating my words - 12/1/12 - I re-tried a sample of Cinema. I don't know if there has been a change in my chemistry or my nose. However, after trying it a few more times from the sample, I have purchased a large bottle and am wearing it even as I type. Aldehydes and floral at the beginning with the underlying musk faintly evident. As it dries, I am getting floral and sweetness with a nice warm base. It has lasted throughout the work day and has become a warm skin scent by night. So, naturally reapplied before bed! The fact that it has lasted so long makes me believe my chemistry has done some small shift as it disappeared within 30 minutes last time. So, thumbs enthusiastically up!

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 December, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

Pillar of classicism and one of the most refined, luxuriant, elusive and sophisticated fragrances of all time. Smooth, at opening luxuriously hesperidic, barely tobacco veined and talky this is the fragrance that inspired the creation of the earthy decadent Habit Rouge, yet the "Shalimar au masculin". The extreme sophistication of the juice is enhanced by its floral heart "populated" by the most sumptuous flowers as jasmine, rose and iris in order to enrich the balsams of the base after a first citrusy voluptuous traditional blast. Rose and iris are prominent and the first of two is linked to talky elements in order to provide a touch of ethereal delicacy while the further floral patterns are more pungent and angular in order to "complicate" the shadowy wake on the side of a detectable note of classic patchouli . The citrus are almost aggressive at the beginning as well as those are strong in Habit Rouge and the link with the bunch of flowers and patchouli produces an extremely elegant, classic, aristocratic and bold impact. The opoponax presence in the middle helps to understate soon the initial harsh impact of citrus in order to prepare a gradual transition towards the resinous final smootness. Some time later the angular citrus and floral elements start infact to drown in a sink of resins and balsams as vanilla, Perù balsams and gray amber that remain all dry and powdery being just at the beginning of the development barely resinous. A touch of flavoured mildness is introduced by tonka in the way that the base exudes nuances of aromatic tobacco. The dry down is anyway warm, enveloping and luxurious with its talky "smokey" mildness, ambery sandalwood and a sort of leathery suede. Shalimar is still nowadays a great choice for the lovers of sumptuous effluviums managing to teleport them in a world of mystic exoticism, sultanates, harems and esotericism.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Because of the common notes of citrus, lavender, patchouli, cacao, precious woods, boise-aromatic ingredients, flowers, nuts and seeds, in my opinion also cedar and further, is undeniable the resemblance of this one with Guerlain L'Instant, another warm-fresh woody floral that plays the game of contrasts. Both feature the link between woodsy aromatic elements-cacao-fresh lavender-flowers and both exude a sort of chocolatey/anisic balmy-nutty undertone with musky boise after smells that are a particular trait of the perfumed whiffs. In my opinion DH (which shares many similarities with the notorious Pour un Homme Caron) lacks anyway that severe and somewhat aristocratic-indolent aura unfolding by the Guerlain's one that is more astringent, woodsy and sharp with its anise-licorice boise undertone. In the dry down the differences start emerging and while DH becomes decidedly warm, ambery, kind of suede and almost gourmand with its stressed chocolatey after smell and despite a touch of vetiver, l'Instant retains its woodsy-musky-nutty-balmy feel while exhaling its edible-sweet nuances with a more stressed patchouli and cedar-lavender connection and with the presence of a more aromatic fluidity in the composition (the tea-lavender effect). Anyway, after a strong citrus-lavender and bergamot mastered beginning this scent becomes powdery, averagely soapy and with a prominent (barely laundry/earthy/leathery) iris note emerging from the talky, chocolatey, slightly buttery (lipstick) dust. Dior Homme is a more than decent kind of aroma but is decidedly several steps behind certain types of veritable masterpieces.

15 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 July, 2014)

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

Nightflight by Joop!

Quite an entertaining fresh fougere in the style of Cool Water - it also happens to be much better than Cool Water, at least the current formulation.

This is synthetic but soft and well-blended. The cumin note gives the fragrance an intriguing saltiness, and only smells like cumin if you really concentrate.

I find sillage and longevity modest, which is surprising for a Joop! fragrance. An endearing, attractive, well-composed fresh scent that's impossible to dislike.

Mr Stubs's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I first picked up this fragrance back when I was 16 on the advice of some female friends. I had zero experience with fragrances at that point so it was really the good parts of this fragrance that stood out to me. I will always have fond memories with this fragrance becuase this was the first one I ever purchased and was my signature scent untill I was 19.

There seems to be a lot of hate for this fragance, most probably because it is a very love/hate scent. I do encourage everyone to try this at least once as IMHO this fragrance is all about setting and is not very versatile. This is not something I would advise using for day wear period. I have used this at work on the odd occasion for shits-and-giggles but if you are in your 30's PLEASE do not wear this during the day as IMHO you will give of the impression of being one of those guys who forgot to grow up. Clubbing and intimate evenings is were this fragrance really unleashes the beast. Women LOVE this fragrance. I don't understand it myself but I have never met a lady who did not like this scent. That is why I believe this fragrance is so successful, because of its seductive qualities.

Upon first spray this usually overpowers my nose. It is very synthetic and very sweet and the sweetness maintains itself for the whole duration of the fragrance. As it dries down this fragrance becomes somewhat spicey while still retaining its sweetness. For me it is the drydown where the magic happens, where the in your face syntheticly sweet scent becames a sexy, magnetic aroma. When bringing girls home from the clubs this is the smell they love. The Sillage of this stuff is LEGENDARY; this will not come off unless you have a shower or two, it will stay on your clothes forever untill you put them through the wash. You do not have to worry about this scent disappearing on you. Projection is pretty crazy too so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not spray any more than 2 sprays at the most as people will start chocking to death when you approach them. This stuff is potent!

As much as I enjoy this fragrance I barely ever reach for it anymore because of its lack of versatility. This fragrance was also ruined for me for a long time because once my old flatmate realised how much women love this he used around 6 sprays of this on himself every saturday night. I do still believe that this is a classic fragrance, if only because of how different is it and how long it sticks around. Love or hate, everyone should try this atleast once, just try to do it in the right setting.

Scent: 7/10
    Sillage: 11/10 (Like superglue)
    Projection: 11/10 (like dropping a nuke)
    Overall: 8/10

Mike's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

I remember smelling this upon its initial release several years ago, and finding it far too sweet and cloying. However, after revisiting it several times since then, it grew on me, so much so that I recently acquired a bottle to add to my collection. The opening is a spicy melange of cinnamon, coriander, and juniper berry, which is quite loud and attention-getting. This segues into a central section dominated by sandalwood (typically used as a base note), lavender, orange tree leaves, rosemary, and ginger. The base is a soft amalgam of vanilla and tonka bean. For those that do not like heavy scents, I can understand them being put off by the top notes, but be aware that these do fade quickly. The heart of the fragrance I find to be very soothing and calming, definitely sweet but not overbearing, given that other notes temper the sweetness. There is a lot of masculinity to this fragrance to be sure, but it can easily be classified as unisex as well. Overall, it may not be one of Creed's most memorable or enduring creations, but it is still a quality fragrance. It is slightly on the sweeter side of the spectrum as I have already iterated, so beware if this is not to your liking.

Mike's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

Ok, so this is a really soapy fragrance! Everyone who has sampled it knows this, so I will not address the issue here. Simply put, Original Vetiver is an unflinchingly green fragrance... extremely green! It does not attempt to disguise this (even the bottle color gives it away!)...it lays out its greenness, and simply says it is what it is. The opening is a citrus blend of bergamot and mandarin with ginger added for some spice. The heart is composed of authentic Haitian vetiver leaves (as opposed to vetiver root), Florentine iris, and sandalwood. The base is the traditional Millesime base of musk and ambergris. In short, this is an incredibly light, fresh, and vivaciously effervescent fragrance, which is the perfect summer scent for those who prefer green fragrances over more aquatic-based scents such as Millesime Imperial. Original Vetiver is very much in the vein of Green Irish Tweed, but with more citrus influence and the green quality of the titular vetiver, whereas GIT relies more heavily on its floral elements.