Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Aoud Shiny by Montale

It was a slow evening. Nobody at the bar, the dimly room room light on chatter. But the music was pleasant enough, if a little uninspired. Ms Violet Leaf was on treble duty, Ms Rose and Mr Patchouli forming the mid section, and Mr Sandalwood on bass. I asked the bartender where the lead vocalist was. He gestured. My eyes followed. Slumped in the corner with an empty bottle of moonshine in his hand was Mr Oud, drunk as a skunk.

AdamOhio's avatar

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is often times one of my favorites in my ever-growing wardrobe. What is odd however, or maybe good, is that I get a quite different experience on different applications. I keep coming back to it because of its compelling concept of tobacco, rum and coffee. On the days it does not work for me this mix gives me the ashtray thing, with no rum or coffee. But the overall quality and mystery makes it an easy thumbs up for me. I report good longevity and moderate sillage.

CoL's avatar

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

I cannot believe the bad reviews for this! I ADORE it! Really different with a green start with a kick of, well something I can't quite describe. Wonderful stuff!

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

Acqua di Parma´s original colonia is a fresh, light and lovely summer scent.due tu it´s incredible success this company launches one edt after the other with a similar structure.Colonia Essenza is the last one and the most disappointing one!
    It´s still an aromatic citrus scent, quite a crispy fresh opening but then it turns into a warm, sensual, powdery and soapy perfume.I personally dislike this drydown which is so soft floral and -as it has been mentionned- talc-y!It´s not bad but definitely nothing exciting or outstanding.It is the reinterpretation of the the original them of the classic colonia but failed.In comparison to the other scents of the company I prefer colonia assoluta!

Lucy Fishwife's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

There seems to be a new vogue for calling perfumes "unisex" (see Etat Libre d'Orange) - this is a girls' perfume, pure and simple. No guy would wear this unless he was also wearing a dress that matched the bottle (and why not, it's a big world with room for everyone). Unisex is what colognes and CK1 are. This is a sweet, crimson, fruity delight of a perfume, and it's a perfume, not a cologne. God I'm bossy.

Hanz Medina's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

D&G La Roue de la Fortune 10 by Dolce & Gabbana

I might think this is a classic case of reformulation. Maybe i'm wrong but what I got as a gift, the colour of the content is 'Purple' but the one in the picture is 'Blue'. It shouldnt have anyting to do with lighting as these are professional shots. I double checked out f it's really original and it is. I'm not sure what's the 'Blue' Liquid smells like but the purple one that i have is ''Plastic-ish''.

I dont think i have to mention on anything else about the perfume?

20th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2011)

catnip_too's avatar

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

It’s true: There are a lot of oud fragrances out there, but I was still curious about New York Oud. Some oud perfumes have been too harsh and “medicinal” for me, especially in their openings. New York Oud, however, starts very smooth. The rose is present immediately. It is a bright rose, which lends its voice to the smooth tenor of the oud and something vaguely citrusy. I am enchanted at this point… for a few brief moments.

Then, to my disappointment, the rose’s voice begins to strain and fade. Another player comes on stage, bringing a more confused, chemical to my nose overtone to the composition (could be the combination with the orris root, although I am certain it is not entirely the orris root’s responsibility). This second phase lasts for about 25 minutes or so, and it is not my favorite. The ending is again soft, and the honey comes through, without becoming sweet. There is also another, more vibrant note (the vetiver?) in the dry-down, which is reminiscent of the brightness in other Bond 9 fragrances.

Overall, I found New York Oud intriguing and luxurious--in an almost tactile way--and kept coming back to it. It is a unisex fragrance and lasts very well on my skin.

20th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2011)

gs02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Modern. Very modern. Maybe even too much. Absynth, aromachemicals and animalic notes masterfully blended to create an unquestionably modern and minimalistic fragrance.

I've mixed feelings on GS02 as while mantaining an aseptic vibe throughout it also shows some animalic juxtapositions for an overall effect I can just describe as bizarre. Surely not an easy fragrance. Unconventional and unique but it leaves me somehow unsatisfied.

I agree with Sir Slarty. If fragrances were related with music, then GS02 could definitely be minimal electronic or IDM.

20th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2011)

Sweded's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

I love how original and intriguing this smells.
    Nice dry resin sweetness and musty aromas turns this into really masculine and elegant scent. Reminds me of how the small wooden flyfishing clubhouse smelled as a child. An absolute favorite.

20th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2011)

The_Cologneist's avatar

California for Men by Dana

This is basically a less intense, more tolerable version of King which is a cheapy fragrance. Same color juice, and all. King smells like old bar-b-que'd meat, onions, and a hair salon. California has an impressive sunny/orange/beach-like opening, but looses its promise quickly, and turns into a less intense version of King.

This fragrance is discontinued, and extremely rare.

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

This is not really my style, but it smells nice enough. The great part is that we've discovered that it keeps gnats away.

Coconut Lime Verbena by Bath and Body Works

When this scent first came out, I was not impressed. I tried it again recently and I really liked it. Knock out citrus (almost bitter, but in a good way) in the beginning, then dries down to a terrific and smooth summer scent. It lasts for quite awhile and doesn't knock the neighbors over when I walk down the hall.

robyogi's avatar

Story by Paul Smith

The opening is nice and promising - citrus and vetiver, reminding me a bit of Mugler Cologne. The mid and base lose me a bit, as it moves into clean, contemporary "musk" territory (Iso-E maybe?) with some vetiver hanging around. All in all, it's okay, but doesn't really wow me or compose a unique enough narrative to make a statement.

Brown Sugar and Fig by Bath and Body Works

Not a "cookie cutter" fragrance. It's not like so many of the fruity florals that are so popular right now. It's a cozy cold weather scent. Starts off sweet and peppery, ends warm and fuzzy. I don't layer this one because I fear layering may make it become too strong.

MNSnowman's avatar

Jack Black Signature Silver Mark by Jack Black

Good all-round scent for work, social events, etc. Smells clean without being soapy. The wood notes really speak to me and my wife.

robyogi's avatar

Aventus by Creed

As one of those folks belonging to a rare breed of human that neither genuflects at the mention of the name "Creed" nor spits in the direction of Creed headquarters, I am always a little apprehensive to review any Creed. More so with newer fragrances, which obviously don't have the mystique of classic, discontinued scents. That said, I'm not wowed by this. Honestly. I don't get the hype. It smells to me like a decent designer fragrance, and if this were offered at 1/4 the price, I would give it a thumbs-up. Unfortunately, it's very expensive. And the packaging is as tacky as can be. The pineapple up-front is nice, and very good, as far as pineapple goes. The middle and base are Himalaya-like, and so not all that original. Like all Creeds, it lasts forever on me. But never does it wow me, which at these prices, I expect.

Paper Moon's avatar

British Sterling by Dana

I really like both British Sterling and English Leather. They may be cheap, but lets face it, smell startlingly similar to several much pricier Creeds. And have about the same longevity it seems! Very pleasant scents and good for both sexes, in my opinion. Not mind blowing, but just very nice.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

aromatic fougere.relaunched after a reorchestration and reinterpretation of the original scent and available!
    this is a very luxurious and lush scent, powerful rich and aromatic.Very complex, interesting but to my mind too overrunning and breathtaking.You don´t see the forrest for the trees.There are so many different ingredients (incredible),the opening is already a firework of flavouruing ingredients but on top the drydown is an intoxicating thunder storm of contents;although the perfumer is offering a unique rework of a fern-like scent this fougere royale is nonetheless simply said too much- I personally miss the the undertones, the refine and subtle moments and calm moments- this remains a powerful and vigorous symphony played by a huge orchestra that does not keep on my toes.It´s a restless scent, long lasting powerhouse bouquet of aromatic ingredients.What I appreciate is the risk of offering a really intersting scent in a world of boring light aquatic metrosexual perfumes but if you ask for my personal fougere choice I´d rather recommend azarro por homme, estee lauder for men , tuscany etc.-these are better balanced and more pleasant.

odioustoilet's avatar

Antarctica Antarctica

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

Manicboy...........you got it! The reviewer a few reviews below me has a good comparison.

I really loved walking around at work today with this mature, masculine, professional and attention getting scent!

I loved it from top to bottom and from beginning to end!

Felhound's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

very interesting scent! i get a nice mix of sweet and citrus notes in this. it's pretty much linear throughout, and longevity is very good. i get around 10 hours? though the scent cloud doesn't project very well. oh also, it may seem really synthetic to some. and i have to agree, after a while it does piss me off. great for once-in-a-while usage, but i wouldn't wear this everyday!

Felhound's avatar

Agua de Loewe by Loewe

somehow this was recommended by the sephora staff over issey miyake, versace EF and bond coney island. but anyways, i think the longevity definitely beats versace EF (my current summer scent) but smell-wise, i think this is a bit too citrusy. it kinda hurts my nose when i smelled it on the paper. and it's pretty linear too, just that the heavy citrus top note dies down enough to make the scent pleasant. comparative to the other 3, this is definitely the worst. but it's NOT bad.

Moustache by Rochas

Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, YSL Pour Homme, Rochas Moustache. A "this is how we do it" version of the classic chypre enriched with a pine note, animalic hints (civet) on a slightly sweet base. Great.

cello's avatar

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

Orris Noir was one that I tried a while back, and really didn't care for, as I imagine I had a preconceived notion it would be an iris forward fragrance. It is not, but after returning to this, I more fully appreciate what it accomplishes.

It opens with a blast of peppered bergamot. As the pepper fades, and the fragrance shifts into it's middle, a distinct rose note is used as a bridge. The rose is soft and pink and powdery, and announces the iris that appears shortly thereafter. The rose also introduces the other florals that dominate the mid notes - jasmine is what I smell most distinctly as this point.

The base is resinous, with myrrh and gaiac over the remaining orris.

The Noir of the name was possibly the other thing that confused me initially, as I don't find this very dark. It is a smooth floral over very quiet iris with an oriental slant. Quite nice!

shamu1's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

This is, quite simply, the best vanilla-based fragrance I have ever smelled, and probably ever will smell. This is a rich, dark, smouldering, mysterious vanilla oriental, that has a bewitching, almost liturgical feel to it. Not at all cloying or candy-sweet, Double Vanille shows the perfume world how a vanilla oriental should be done. It has incredible depth and complexity, and is simply a jaw-dropping work of art. It's also one of the best orientals I have ever smelled.

MY RATING: 10/10

alexbiteme13's avatar

Greece Greece

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Syrupy, sweet, spicy, smoky,with a bit of wood in the backgound and very very intense. I get why some people love this fragrance but I don't want to smell like this for more than 5 minutes. Impressive but definitely not for me.

cello's avatar

Rose by Czech & Speake

This opens up with a very green, tart leafy note. A small, pink rose bud of a note slowly drifts in. The green note stays throughout the scent, with the slow drydown a greenish, woody soft and subtle close. The green opening is very tart, but the green of the drydown is dusted with a patch note, retaining the herbal qualities and adding to the woody effect.
    This is a soft, straightforward pink rose fragrance. I enjoyed this, but possibly not for the price that this goes for.

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Patchouli Intense / Patchouli Homme by Nicolaï

This has been relabeled as Patchouli intense, as many women were taking to it. From what I understand it is the same formulation (it was always intense :-) In fact I ordered Patchouli Intense directly from PdN, but the bottle says Patchouli Homme.

I like it. Yes it's a brash Patchouli (I can't speak for those who don't find the patchouli here - it's dead center), but I don't find it dark or foreboding in character as some have described.

The the salty/peppery spiciness of it does make it a WINTER PATCHOULI for me (with Histoires de Parfum's Noir Patchouli, ironically named being my happier, sunnier, summer floral patchouli, and SL's Borneo 1834 being the a Gold Standard for a year-around earthy dose of Patch. Love this one.)

But I'm laughing at some of these references to car crashes and gettting punched in the nose. OK, so it IS the type of fragrance that I would put on and led it ride before leaving the house (ala Montale), because the opening can be a bit tight. But when it starts to unwind I get nothing but compliments in this elegant and richly composed scent.

Thumbs Up if you want a refreshing, more radical take on Patchouli.

Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent

Nothing much to say about Kouros Fraicheur as basically this composition does what the label says. Don't get me wrong, this is not a Kouros "sporty" edition neither an "aquatic" version. It's instead a slightly smoothered Kouros (yet mantaining all of its hallmarks) enriched with pineapple in the opening and with a gentler drydown. Simply amazing!

blood-orange's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey Florale by Issey Miyake

The first thing you'll notice when you try L'eau d'Issey Florale is that it's very strong. Issey Miyake tends to make a lot of fresh scents, and although these types of fragrances don't appeal to me personally, I find them relatively well-constructed.

This fragrance is perhaps more flowery and feminine than most Issey Miyake releases. I often have issues with their watery synthetic-ness. You can tell it's a Issey Miyake creation, however I find it much softer and more wearable in many ways.

The rose, peony and mandarin orange are of course the main focus in this fragrance's composition, however the opening and heart notes are rather watery, or I guess you could say, aquatic. This is definitely a Summer scent due to its clean and refreshing nature.

At times I find the scent to be a little sharp and far too bold for such warm weather, however I must add that it does settle well on the skin. The composition leaves me slightly uninspired, but somehow the simplicity tends to work.

I'm not crazy over the concept nor am I too happy to be presented with yet another L'eau d'Issey flanker, it seems like they've released far too many in the last year or so. I think L'eau d'Issey Florale is wearable but personally, it leaves me cold. I much preferred the L'eau d'Issey Noir Absolu for a floral fix.

ChoppedGarlic's avatar

Greece Greece

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

Typical "by-the-book" manly man fougere that is heavy on the lavender. Quite disappointed to not see any twists or innovations on a very familiar theme. That doesn't mean that it's not good, it's that...it doesn't really raise the bar as was my expectation. Certainly not worth the absurd price. I personally find Bois du Portugal and even the much cheaper Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo to be better in that vein. Giving it a neutral rating instead of a thumbs up mainly because of its price.