Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

I remember this being a strange and confusing beast when I tried it the first few times. It starts out as a pleasantly fruity wood with spices, and without much of the usual alcohol onslaught I'd expect for this price range. Even though one note stings my nose, and the fruit is a bit like strawberry (both of which should be dealbreakers for me), the combination of spices is just how I like it, so I bravely sniff onwards. I'm a bit disappointed when the strawberry turns more to cherry, as so often happens, but the wood and spices still keep my attention. By the base, I don't find as much sharpness or overripeness in the fruit as in most others, so for its price it's worth looking into if you like fruity scents. It also still maintains a bit of the refreshing aspect that so many others lose after the first few minutes...maybe some violet is what's prompting the comparisons to Fahrenheit and GF? Finally I get some vanilla, many hours into the base.

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

I'm not really the patchouli expert, but let me first make the judgement that this is a unisex fragrance, or maybe even masculine. What you get to begin with is no Nicolai Patchouli; it is smoother, softer, sweeter and more floral, with none of the grating sharpness you sometimes find, but unfortunately just a dash of Windex. It gets less floral and more musty as the topnotes pass, with (at least the illusion of) some very heavy tobacco; this leaves it with quite a prominent incense or cigarette aspect, or even a dry post-wildfire scent. After a while, the smoke to me most resembles that from burning chaparral, the ominous smell of approaching disaster for us Californians. I'm impressed that this fragrance goes through such a sharp transition, but as far as the woodsmoke genre goes, I still need to revisit the CdG Incense Series to set the benchmark. It reminds me of Avignon, but that's based on a rather vague memory.

Bright Visit by Azzaro

A light, somewhat fruity, and very soapy aquatic. This is pretty nearly Azzaro Chrome without the heavy metallic notes in the top, though they start to creep in a bit later. I don't have my old bottle of Chrome around or I'd do a side-by-side, but they're close enough that if you waved this in front of my nose and said it was Chrome, I'd believe you. Only well into the mid notes do I start to recognize a hint of the cedar and nutmeg of Visit, though again much lighter (thank god!). It has a little bit of the Lanvin Vetyver chemical presence, but really only a trace. Overall, it's weak once you get past the top notes, and ultimately ends up being an "Eau de Grey Flannel" generic weak aquatic flanker of something else with name recognition. I don't see why this was necessary since they already sell tons of Chrome.

Oliban by Keiko Mecheri

Is this supposed to be just pure Olibanum (frankincense)? At first I'm surprised how floral and yet not super-feminine it is, almost like a spiced Gendarme scent. I really like the combination of spices, but then if this is just a single note, that means I like frankincense, and have liked it all along as part of my "just right" spice / resin mix. The middle is a bit too rootbeery for me after the florals fade, but also has an intriguing orange peel aspect that redeems it. As I smell the basenotes on the fingers I used to open the vial, it seems so familiar. It reminds me more of Santa Fe for Men than anything else (very sweet spiced wood), but most of my spicy wood scents obviously owe a lot of their character to this stuff. By itself, it's quiet and delicate, but I'm still not sure I'd call it feminine because it's too pointed for that. I also don't know what to make of it in terms of treating it like a soliflore or a composition. Fairly nice though.

MNSnowman's avatar

Bobby Jones by Bobby Jones

This review is for the original fragrance (bottle has the green leather band). I find this scent immediately registers with others without being overpowering. It's good all year but especially in the warmer months. I'm on my third bottle and will miss this one from my shelf of trusted fragrances if I cannot score a fourth bottle via EBay.

G.M.K.'s avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

It seems Chanel has outsourced it to Hugo............ cant believe its created by the same man who has created Egoiste.........nuff said. both thumz down

Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès

fresh woody floral musk composition.unisex with a feminine touch....
    green fresh opening : you smell the citrus, grapefruit-quite nice, summer feeling, pleasant and well balanced -it reminds me so much of declaration by cartier.The dry down is woody, a bit harsh, cardammon?,floral and musky.Nicely done but nothing else!
    Great bottle!Unique- but do we expect this summit of a creation from the great Jean-Claude Ellena for the absolutely luxury brand-the icon of luxury goods : Hermes?!
    Hermes this is pure luxury : unique handbags and leather goods,amazing silk ties and scarfs etc.etc.
    And to name some of the really outstanding perfumes of this sophisticated traditional and timeless french! company as Caleche, Eau d´Hermes, Equipage, Bel ami that really match with this luxurious brand Voyage is satisfactory but mediocre- to my mind this is not typical Hermes- probably they want to reach a younger class of buyers by launching all these jardin de.....perfumes and on top selling them as unisex scents but in the long run it will fail.Chanel -on the female side- has demonstrated it´s innovative mind by launching modern scents conserving the tradition and the legacy of Coco Chanel- Jacques Polge has done great works for the female buyers.
    But Hermes starts selling it´s spirit in order to meet the market needs forgetting their brilliant history.... Perfume is always a very sensitive and personal impression but instead of launching one nice but simple and forgettable edt after the other why is this company not able to launch a brilliant scent that makes us dreám of more including the rich and unique history of this singular french firm?!You remember the time when Eau d Hermes was only available in France?
    These were still times when a perfume was something very special, unique and particular....Voyage as so many other perfumes of our time -NOTHING TO GET EXCITED ABOUT!!!

sweetrain19's avatar

Exceptional Because You Are by Exceptional

Generic, pretty. It smells cheap, but it is not as horribly sweet as it could be, making it bearable, but not memorable.

digger51's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

My first smell was "I do not think I will like this", but I let it dry down and after about 30 minutes it settled into a very pleasant scent. It is not sweet, so if you want sweet chocolate then you need to look somewhere else. It is a dry cocoa.

Anyway, I give it a thumbs up and it goes into the rotation.

Two days later I am craving this scent again. Craving to wear it again is one mark or a great scent. This scent takes it rightful place in my top 5. It is soothing and conforting to wear.

21st May, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2011)

Dame Piglet's avatar

Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

I actually really like this scent. It's not expensive, but that's fine with me. The scent is starts off fruity floral (not surprising) but then it mellows warmly. People have to stand within a foot of me to smell it, so it's fine for work. I could see how it wouldn't work for everyone, but it's easy to sample scents at BBW, so why not?

21st May, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2011)

komak123's avatar

Poland Poland

Kenzo Power Cologne by Kenzo

Very refreshing, very soapy. To me the Geranium/Verbena combo is dominating throughout the whole life of the fragrance. The Tolu balm is difficult to enjoy as it only comes out in the drydown - when the fragrance is very close to the skin. Overall quality summer scent for those guys who are not afraid of flowers (for bargain bin price!).

21st May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Naj-Oleari (new) by Naj-Oleari

The initial green muguet whiff is almost gummy in perception and it "sounds" like a deep plastic weird inhalation. In a couple of minutes the rose starts to rise up understating the plastic vibe and enhancing a touch of vintage somewhat potpourri (vaguely stale) sophistication while flanked by an ethereal presence of white freesia. A note of jasmine flanks the muguet prolonging the variegated floral depth. The latter is retained till the end when a woodsy-musky classically chypre base is settled with its touch of vanillic smootness. Romantic and somewhat retro floral bouquet with a mossy and probably slightly animalic dry down. Not bad.

21st May, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2014)

ga97's avatar

Nuance by Coty

floral-woody aldehyde with floral and citrus top notes on sweet floral heart notes on a base of warm woody powdery notes.

Flora's avatar

Tamarind Paprika by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

I really, really love this - it's just about the tangiest fruity perfume I have ever smelled and the paprika part gives it a "slow burn" pungency that really sets it apart. Tamarind is a fruit I wish I could obtain where I live, but alas I live too far north and so when I get a craving I have to get a bottled drink or a confection. It's not for everyone I guess but I find it addictive. Having it in a perfume is such a treat. It's not a novelty either, it's a deliciously wearable, warm and inviting composition with a festive air. Thumbs way up!

lgarruda's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Acteur by Azzaro

It is an amazing fragrance from Azzaro. At first, it starts with a strong citric note formed by bergamot and cardamom but it doesn't last for more than five minutes. Then, the rose arises, and develops itself into an amazing bouquet that after more or less 20 minutes is complemented by a subtil leather and musk, forming a formidable floral orchestra of scents. Silage is excellent, as its longevity. If you like rose (not properly woodrose, but tea rose) and classy fragrances then you must have Acteur. It's beautifully blended and is close to be considered a floral masterpiece.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

woody aromatic fresh edt.
    the opening is at first sniff a bit medical harsh but quickly turns into a light version of encre noir with a bit of la nuit by YSL and terre d´hermes wishing it would become the brilliant and ingenious further development of eau sauvage (diorella) but far from it - it remains a cheap effort....eau sauvage, dirella,cristalle, Y, etc. will always remain unique and unreachable icons.
    Colonia intensa makes such an effort to be good but at the end it´s a huge disappointing scent, not bad but not what it intendend to be.It´s an intense somehow fresh scent with a harsh spicy note- in the beginning you like it but you wait for more and expect - and in the end it´s thicky, nerving and exhausting.
    The whole trick of an inmortal perfume is a spectacular opening and a dry down that keeps the promises of the great opening and colonia ssoluta fails.It lacks of personality and singularity- it stands in the line of allure by chanel, terre d´hermes,tom ford for men etc.- all scents that aren´t bad but replaceable and exchangeable!alfarom has given a perfect description.And colonia assoluta remains despite such an effort uncharismatic and dull

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

Review for the reformulated version. A nice opening with aromatic herbs and lavander. I also get some cinnamon in this phase. After a while it turns to a soapy middle phase that's quite conventional and not particularly interesting, yet pleasant. In the drydown I get oakmoss, patchouli and vetiver. Nice and quite classic but maybe it lacks in personality.

Note: The reformulated version of Monsieur Rochas comes in a generic and unremarkable bottle with a shocking pink liquid inside. Ugly.

1697 by Frapin

1697 is super-boozy. It opens with an incredibly realistic blast of Rum that overwhelmes anything else. In a bunch of minutes it settles down leaving space to candied dry fruits, spices, vanilla, tonka bean, woods and resins with a gentle floral accord laying in the back. There's a lot going on in this phase as 1967 is quite a complex fragrance indeed, maybe too much. Everything is happening at once giving me a sensation of chaos. Don't get me wrong, this is an interesting fragrance and surely remarkable but to me it's kind of unsatisfying and messy.

Try it!

elronzo's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Light use is the name of the game here .. so many people these days are sprinkle-stinks*
    The first burst is somewhat overpowering and a bit of a cacophony but within seconds on hitting skin settles down to the tops and middles (note NOT just the tops). I like 1 Million because it doesnt have that off-putting initial basenote you get with the likes of even great scents like green irish tweed; the creator has opted for a different approach which apparently gives a long lasting binding to the fragrance - frankly I dont know what's holding this together Amber maybe? In any event this is award winning methodology.
    My wife enjoys the initial floral notes and the grapefruity bite when I put it on. I myself love the longevity and get a whiff every now and again when I'm out and about during the day.

Sprinkle-stinks are people that I guess have never been shown how to wear scent. Generally because a scent appeals to them personally, they SPRINKLE it on rather than dab on strategic places. With sprays they will spray clothes, skin and keep spraying. Its not uncommon for young men to regularly use a whole aerosol tube of Sure or whatever in a day! My heart goes out to the poster who has to sit next to a sprinkle-stink on the bus. Usually its the only seat left coz the guy (or girl) is stinking of cheap scent and no one in their right mind wants to sit there!

deepblue's avatar

Passion by Annick Goutal

One balmy summer day in around the mid/late 80s, I was heading through Knightsbridge - intent on browsing around Harrods. Suddenly, I became aware of a bit of a commotion going on and suddenyl a stunning and slender tall blonde lady rushing along the pavement - with a handful of photographers in hot pursuit.

It was, of course, the beautiful Princess of Wales - Diana. My two abiding memories were the flashing blue fury in her eyes at once again being hounded by the press and, as she passed, a faint trace of the most beautiful fragrance I had ever smelled anywhere. Belive me, photographs have neve done her justice. Her beauty in the flesh was almost surreal.

Sometime later I read that one of her favourite scents was Passion by Annick Goutal and, curiousity and the memory of her beautiful fragrance, drew me so that the next time I was in Harrods, I tried it for myself. Oh Wow! This was the ONE! As soon as the sample on my wrist started to dry down, I was back in that street gaping in wonder at one of the most famous women in British history.

I still wear Passion very often and it almost seems to sum up everything I remember about Diana - it is graceful, feminine and warm. If ever a fragrance could so perfectly 'match' the wearer then it is this one.

I'm finding it harder to get hold of in the UK and in the Annick Goutal boutique in Knightbridge, they tell me that they no lnoger do the bath and body lines as there is no longer a demand for them. Thankfully, I can still get the EDT and EDP. I'm praying that the fragrance continues forever because in my opinion it is matchless. Reading the other reviews on here, everyone has summed it up perfectly. It is one of the best 'secret' scents - worn only by very few women - and as stunning as our lovely Princess of Wales was herself.

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

The Party in Manhattan by The Party

The Party in Manhattan left me rather disappointed, yes it left me after what was slightly more than 2 hours. I think I read someone claiming it was reformulated already? Anyway, the start is glorious (really!), it wowed me. In the end there was a strange accord going through the heart - is it the mandarine and bourbon carnation (WTH is that?)? In a nutshell, yes it reminded me of Mitsouko, but the peach in Mitsy is much more interesting to me. I once sampled Rochas Femme and Jubilation 25... I think it could be closest to these. No monster sillage, no longevity, no rich feel of an extrait... and the price tag if I can get Mitsouko extrait at the same price?

Manlyman 007's avatar

I am King by Sean John

I actually expected to see some positive reviews for this one. As hard as Sean John tries to stand apart from other celebrity fragrances, they fall in to that category for me. I absolutely love the opening to I am King! That sparkling grapefruit is intoxicating on my skin. If I had to smell like the first 10 minutes of I am King for the rest of my life... I'd be happy. This fragrance isn't good for much other than the gym or something like that. Longevity is terrible. It's gone in an hour. I give it a neutral rating strictly based on the 007 badass opening.

Quercus by Penhaligon's

sweet citrus scent od simple structure.powdery soapy drydown after a citrus-floral? opening.feminine touch.Nothing to dream about or to expect more.This scent is boring, indifferent and trivial.
    If you look for a good fresh summer scent then try Eau sauvage, Diorella,Cristalle!,Original Monsieur de Balmain ( if you love lemons...), Pour homme by YSL or even Pour monsieur by Chanel.Eau de Givenchy, Eau Fraiche by Dior, Eau de Chanel ,Eau de Lancome and Eau der Guerlain are interesting options too and much more interesting

silentrich's avatar

Méharées by L'Erbolario

The opening and heart reminds me of a less spicy L'Air du desert marocain. The drydown is very similar to Musc Ravangeur. This fragrance reminds me of walking into a bakery and having the sweet and rich smells of freshly baked pastries. Sillage and longevity are both moderarate with 6 to 8 hours respectfully. I would recommend this to anyone that likes either of the previously mentioned fragrances and doesn't care for the clove in Musc Ravangeur.

pimiento's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Wooow, I smelled this and thought "Oh, it's Millesime Imperiale, but cheaper." then I sprayed it on and it still smelled perfectly fine but it lacked the depth that makes MI my favorite fresh scent.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I really enjoy the combination of notes here. They are dark, yet synthetic smelling, which actually makes this quite wearable. Dark fragrances that smell too natural (particularly niche ones) I find almost unwearable, but without doubt, a joy to sniff. I couldn't find a sample of this anywhere, then found it on fragrancevials.com I believe, and the price was right.

Attitude falls along the lines of Double Black, and even Ferrari Black. It opens up with a very short lived citrus and berry blast, that quickly mutates into a fresh modern leather. You can start to smell a little bit of the coffee notes, but if ya wait about 10 minutes, they then take over this fragrance. Although, a synthetic take on coffee beans.. the note intertwines with the leather note to make one accord. The leather/coffee combination which is already kind of dark, eventually mixes with a fantastic patchouli note, and pretty much dries down this way.

A big time shame in the projection and longevity departments. Another designer fragrance with star quality, but lacking in these 2 areas. Try spraying this on your clothing, and you'll expect better results; but if you're like me, ya don't like fragrances on your clothing so much.

Edit: longevity is actually quite good. 8-10 + hours.. projection still fails though.

Yatagan by Caron

there is nothing more to add! All has been said!
    a real man´s scent- handsome, virile, singular and powerful.oriental woody-full flavoured, very aromatic scent.a timeless classic from a time when really unique perfumes where still launched- this scent stands in a line with azzaro pour homme( similar), habit rouge, troisieme homme by caron, pour un homme by caron, eau sauvage by dior, grey flannel and habit rouge- alltime classics ! Hall of Fame of Perfume!
    Yatagan : great and simple bottle, charismatic butch scent-that´s how it should be!!!!
    This fragrance is comparable to Devin by Aramis but better.
    And the first choice for a desert island!

22 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2011)

ShcShc11's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

Love it. Definitely one of the better Gourmand Colognes. Thumbs up!!!

22 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 June, 2011)

silentrich's avatar

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Very fresh watermelon opening that with a touch of amber, cinnamon, pepper, and musk. The watermelon transitions into the heart and still hangs on in the drydown which is the note that's most prominent in this fragrance. Silliage is moderate and longevity on my skin is 6 to 8 hours. I wouldn't classify it as a summer fragrance, more of a spring/fall, but can be worn any time for almost any occasion.

22 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2011)

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

1270 is great! It opens with a consistent cnadied orange note on a boozy / leather accord of rare charme. It's like seating in front of the fireplace on an old leather couch drinking cognac and eating Panettone at christmas. Smooth woods make their appreances in the drydown together with spices, dry fruits and vanilla for a comfortable, reassuring, relaxing and absolutely fascinating affect. A master release. Highly recommended.

22 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2011)