Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

cello's avatar

Serendipitous by Serendipity 3

Gourmand, soft chocolate with vanilla. It was certainly very pleasant, but ultimately not very exciting. There are gourmands in the same arena that are more exciting.

But if you like vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce, then give it a try.

shamu1's avatar

New West for Him by Aramis

I tried this classic for the first time today. I really like it. I don't really know how to classify New West For Him, because it's very unique.

This smells sort of like an early version of an aquatic fragrance (e.g., Horizon), before the synthetic "marine" note Calone was overused in fragrances, with a lot of sharp wood notes and green oakmoss blended in. It's very spicy, and the oakmoss, sandalwood and patchouli give it a very 80s feel, but without it being heavy. It reminds me somewhat of Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, believe it or not, if you lightened it and added mint and a dab of a marine note. I could swear I detect a little leather in this too, as it's got a slight sweetness to it that leather often brings to a scent. New West also reminds me a lot of Yatagan, only fresher and without the animalic notes.

Many call this an aquatic scent, and that's probably because it does contain Calone. However, I don't like that label because the Calone is subtle and not overdone, and this scent strikes me much more as freshly aromatic and mossy, rather than aquatic. I think of spices and green when I smell New West, not water or the ocean. If this is an aquatic, then it's the best aquatic I've ever smelled, probably because it was released long before the aquatic fragrance fad got out of control.

Chalk up points for yet another excellent fragrance in Aramis' Gentleman's Collection.

MY RATING: 8/10

mk2jettavr6's avatar

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

Just purchased a bottle of this today! This,fragrance in my opinion is Bond No.9's best work to date! I get a strong oud note right off the top, very rich allong with Plum and Saffron. Dry down The oud stays along with a hint of rose (dirty would describe the rose, not as floral as rose 31). towards the end of dry down to the base honey comes into play.

12+ hrs my new Fav. Fragrance!

pimiento's avatar

Iris de Nuit by Heeley

Wow, when I smelled this I though it was a damn good fragrance, and I continued to think that as it wore on. The somewhat masculine iris is reminiscent of Dior pour homme but this is much darker than that, it has a dark, yet playful side, revealing angelica root, anise, and carrot. I highly recommend this, especially to fans of iris, but really to any one looking for a nice complex evening fragrance

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Arpège by Lanvin

Short review: excellent, must smell, trully a classic. Now, IMHO, avoid it if you are a man thinking men can pull this off.

Long review: Among BaseNoters it is widely assumed that scents are genderless and that men can wear blends sold under the tag "femenine" and vice versa. Still, there are recurrent threads on female scents that men can wear, of which many end up in heated debates. As per my experience, it is cristal clear that the right answer is personal: one should wear whatever the wearer feels worth wearing, so this review should be read with this idea in mind. Of course, the ones reading this review are free to disent.

Arpege is a floral aldehyde, so in this sense, the top notes, besides being as the descriptor says, are sort of taken to an extreme due to the presence of the aldehydes - I have to admit that I am using this term as per its analogies with the most famous floral aldehyde around, Chanel N° 5: it is the high loud notes the ones responsible for this common attribute. As I mentioned in a thread about Lanvin's most famous perfume, I don´t have anything against florals, but of these being sold for men, I really like a small amount of them. To my nose, florals widely used in femenine scents are too acute to my nose - I resort to this term because they feel like needles.

There has been many formulations and I am clueless as to the one corresponding to the sample I tried. In this case, I cannot give any account as to its complexity, it is rather linear. Thus, the mid notes don't evolve that much. Still, I can understand that comments about Arpege being suitable for men are based in the blend's base notes for there are some notes lurking around that have some sort of distant animalic character that are very nice. Now, be aware that these are rather subdued, thus men wearing it will end up with the feeling of having been forced through a floral journey taking hours in order to arrive to very shy animalic accords.

In summary, it is a classic, but not in the same fashion as the orientals, leathers and chypres blended in the first half of the XX century, the ones that many, even me, think that can be easily used by men, and thus, find them full bottle worthy. Thus, if interested, do sample it through a full wear before thinking about buying it, for it is the only way to find if you feel comfortable wearing it.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Daddy Yankee by Daddy Yankee

Kinda light and inoffensive, but it has some sexiness on it. To me it smells a little like a RSVP light, very woody but with some spicyness that dominates the whole development with some fruityness in the opening and some sweet amber in the base.
    Not bad for the price.

eyelineronacat's avatar

Orange Star by Tauer

This is one of the most incredible incense-based fragrances I've tried. Not sure how it happened, but I fell in love despite my not being a fan of citrus. Now I know this for sure: it's the bad, synthetic citrus accords that last forever and scar your psyche for life. Not the case here, I'm left wishing the intensity of the citrus present upon opening would come back, so I find myself spraying more. If you put me in a room with a bottle of this tonight, it would probably be drained by morning.

SexPanther's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is by far my favorite cologne of all 50 bottles in my collection. This is clean, fresh, sexy, and extremely pleasant. I swear people hate so much on great scents on this site because it smells good and other people wear it. If you made a dog shit cologne so they could stand out they would probably thumbs up all day. One nasty scent i bought blind was grey flannel.... i still have nightmares and anyone that wears that garbage gets made fun of daily. Back to point le male is AMAZING!

Swanky's avatar

New West for Him by Aramis

New West was a staple of my wardrobe in the late '80s, but I was always disappointed in its longevity at the time. Eventually I moved on to other things. I recently revisted it and found the longevity better than I had remembered.

The scent, though, still just doesn't quite work for me. I want to like it more than I do, especially since I am a fan of Lauder's men's fragrances on the whole. I find it aromatic and spicy - much closer to Borsalino than, say, Cool Water. New West is a transitional fragrance, moving the guys from the dominating swagger of Kouros, Lauder, Krizia and the like into the aquatic and fresh realm of the '90s that still reigns today. The bottle and the branding mark it as more aquatic than it is. There is some similarity to Horizon, another early semi-aquatic; they both have a Calone slug mixed with an herbal element but they are more potent than the wan offerings of Escape, Pleasures and their wispy brethren. The mint note, to me, predominates. It's more of a menthol-eucalyptus kind of mintiness (such as Safari contains) than the Green Water spearmint that I'd prefer.

For those looking to extricate from the Acqua Di Gio-Curve mafia, New West is one to check out.

ironduke's avatar

South Korea South Korea

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Unbearably synthetic. Public lavatory scent dispensers are often more natural than this.

Aznavour's avatar

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

I guess you either enjoy smelling like baby powder, or you don't. Never thought I ever would, but here we are. Loukhoum is comforting and sexy at the same time, persistent but never overpowering, a cloud of talc above florals, almond, vanilla, and musk.

In short: lovely, more subtle than it seems, tons of fun, pretty bottle, great value. What's not to like?

GalaBrand's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I don’t like florals.
    Florals come in these categories for me: Too complex, too cloying, too sweet, too fruity, just too floral.
    So thank heavens for Fracas! Because it is none of these things. (like the only other floral I really wear or like - Creed’s Love in White)
    Yes it’s a complex floral and as heady as any of the big orientals but it is never too much.
    Some say they aren’t sure of the cleaness of this one but that’s what makes it so attractive for me - It’s like a huge breath-taking slap in the face with a big wet, white, flower and just lovely for it.
    I was first attracted to the fragrance when I was much younger after reading the early Jilly Cooper novels where the naughtiest and sexiest girls with the rumpled clothes and curls wore it while racing around the countryside in a sports car or on horseback after indulging in illicit encounters and healthy outdoor pursuits… and it hasn’t disappointed.
    It’s big and breezy and I for one would be happy to wear it every day, it certainly puts a smile on my face in a way the beautiful, but austere Love in White doesn’t.

Could you wear it with a hangover? Yes probably, it might even help you get over it.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

fresh aromatic citrus scent.nothing exciting, a disappointing variation of the original.
    the opening is a fresh and light citrus and floral bouquet.The dry down is more aromatic (musk).Quite sweet and better suited for a a young woman.
    This is another intersting story.Due to it´s huge success with the original colonia and it´s definitely a good golonia but not more and thanks god it pretends not to be more, they began to launch one edt after the other : assolute, essenza, intensa- what is coming next and do we need all this stuff?
    Colonia assoluta is a sweet,soapy colonia that has promising opening but then it changes totally to an annoying and burdening fragrance and you want to get rid of this intense smell.In the beginning I thought-wow, a light summer breeze - fresh,crispy but the longer you´re surrounded by this scent the more it becomes a burden and it looses it´s lightness- a citrus summer scent as it is intended to be should be light at any time.
    Here the summer breeze turns into a sticky synthetic something.The longer I wear the more i feel uncomfortable.

Swanky's avatar

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

As a fan and user of several Aramis offerings, it pains me somewhat to not post raves about Tuscany.

The opening jumps off the page with a nice citrus blast; this is my favorite part of the fragrance. With the nice spices and hint of leather (see Ho Hang for a similar note) it seems on the right track. After a couple of hours, however, the citrus disappears and the leather is very muted and it becomes an Azzaro doppelganger. Not bad in and of itself, but the box said Tuscany, not Azzaro, which I already have. Five hours in and it barely registers.

carlos-uk's avatar

Patchouli by Molinard

Thought I'd reviewed this but is seems not.

OK, so, as the name suggests.....PATCHOULI!!!!! Molinard list the Pyramid as

Neroli, Orange, Geranium
    Patchouli
    Musc, Santal, Vanilla

I would hazard a guess you will be hard pushed to pick most of those notes out however. I believe their real purpose is just to take the edge of the heaviness of the main ingredient to make it palatable. This is heavy, moody stuff but in a proud, wafting sort of way. Rest assured, it does waft! It also makes you appreciate something like Givenchy Gentleman which I've never really liked but having worn the Molinard, I can understand the Givenchy better.

I rather like this though I can't comment about head shops and such. I do my shopping online. After all, why have a Dog and bark yourself?

If you're a Patchouli nut, you can't go wrong with this, it positively reeks of it. I would say though, as a personal preference, it's a very warm fragrance and probably better suited to cold weather. A bit like a good Brandy warms the throat, the Molinard has a warming effect...if that makes any sense.

Spray, be proud and enjoy!

colormechris's avatar

Lola by Marc Jacobs

I don't know...I kinda like this. With a perfume market that is now absolutely glutted with product; so much so that you can't remember what you smelled ten minutes ago because there's ten new scents behind it--Lola kind of stands out. Nowadays, this is an incredible feat. A bold fruity floral, heavy on the aldehydes. That's it. But it's well done. Coco Belle's description of night blooming flowers and kissing in the dark are lovely and right on the money. This Lola is a fun girl. The kind of girl who likes to put on a mini-dress and go to a carnival on her first date. Very summery. But she has an overwhelming persona at times. Just buy her some cotton candy!

LA DOLCE VITA's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Acteur by Azzaro

I HAVE REDISCOVERED THIS GEM, IT´S FANTASTIC, GREAT FRAGRANCE, DIFFERENT FROM THE FRAGRANCE MASSES, GREAT QUALITY AND VERY EXCLUSIVE. IT´S NOT EASY TO FIND.
    I HAVE USED IT IN 90'S BUT NOWADAYS IT'S STILL SPECIAL. TOP NOTES REMIND ME FROG SMELL IN A GOOD WAY. (IT COULD SOUND CRAZY)...

24th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 24th September, 2011)

pepelestinker's avatar

21 Club by 21 Club

I came across this fragrance when I purchased a haul of vintage minis. Out of the 52 vintage fragrances, this was one of the most remarkable. It had all the wonderful elements combined into one scent. It smelled like vintage Boss No. 1 off the top, with honey and florals, but the heart clearly was strewn with solid wood. The lush mossy drydown had a trace of civet mixed in, to make this one of the most potent, sexy fragrances of its time. It is almost a dead ringer for the vintage Guess Men, with its slightly powdery musky dry down. Old school goodness!

24th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd December, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

The green, watery/hesperidic (because of some bergamot and lemon/orange), barely aldehydic, almost edible citrus-lavender opening is the best part of this classic fragrance that ends to develop in a sort of soapy rosey and musky smell with undertones of lemon and rosemary. The citrus-lavender-rose accord with the refreshing rosemary and vervain is stiff and classic in execution and i find it too severe for the current taste. Anyway the part that i prefer is the opening blast till when the green-edible notes of vervain and rosemary are clearly perceivable. The rose is clean and sharp at the beginning with its vintage temperament enhanced by sicilian citrus and herbs but ends soon to morph in to a soapy (laundry/detergent, exotic/barbershop) and woodsy ambery-floral accord with a cool breeze of musk, lemon and jasmine. Longevity and projection are in the average on my skin.

24th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th July, 2014)

colormechris's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I've often heard the term "mess" applied to Quorum and I can't say I disagree. But it's one hot mess though. I bought this back in the 90's based solely on a whiff and I wore it quite a bit. But it never clicked for me. I liked it enough. I favored it in the colder months. Eventually Quorum and I had to break up. It just wasn't working out. He was just a sad reminder of my first love, Paco. It was better we went our separate ways.

The 90's weren't the best period for me, so when I saw Quorum recently at my local discount store I wasn't too jazzed to revisit him. I sprayed him on and there he was. Unchanged, but perhaps a bit more mature and pulled together. Or maybe that was me. When I left the store, it was hot and a bit muggy. I smelled my arm. Suddenly Quorum was the Latin lover he was meant to be. The heat brought out a sexiness in him I'd never noticed before. He had a cool edge that was a perfect foil for the heat. Who knew Quorum was a summer scent? He offers the cool shade of a pine forest on a hot hike through the mountains. I think Qourum and I might try and rekindle our old relationship with a little summer fling.

SexPanther's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

This is canali plain and simple. I dont know which came first and dont care. I have canali so ill stick with that.

bokaba's avatar

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio

Tabaco Aurea is one of the few modern creations that really has me excited. I feel Tabac Aurea is a good balance between varying presentations of tobacco seen in many different fragrances. It's not as musty or uptight as Vintage Tabarome, not a leafy green as La Via del Profumo, and not as boozy-spicy as Cuba. The opening is beautiful though slightly sweet cherry-plum tobacco accord that is natural and close to the skin. All of the heavy aspects here work well together (I usually don't favor heavy components like labdanum, vanilla, leather,etc). Despite its extrait concentration, the sillage is restrained and wears close to the skin for many hours. A pure joy. Every time I open the gift box that contains my sample, I smell the most beautiful pipe tobacco accord settled into the paper of the box.

Azel1488's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Horrible the worst fragrance I've owned bought it blind smelled like cat urine i couldn't give it away...................

knit at nite's avatar

Histoire d'Amour by Aubusson

I just recently bought Histoire D'Amour by Aubusson but Hillaire nailed the character of this very nicely priced juice as "unisex dry woodiness" in her review. Men, don't let the uber-fancy bottle get in the way of trying it.
    I'm glad to have this little addition to my chypre wardrobe.

smells like's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I blind-bought this fragrance based on its overall popularity and seemingly favorable online reviews. A good place to start would be to say this is certainly not going to please everyone.

As several other reviews have stated, this concoction ought to be classified as a chemical warfare agent. The scent is definitely memorable. Coworkers will remember your sillage choking them to death from across the room. Even when used incredibly sparingly, this sickly sweet fragrance smacks everyone around you in the face with a chlorinated vanilla candle wax with what I think is cardamom.

As the legend has it, women seem to like it. But there are also more tolerable scents that they like and notice as well. I don't think I could wear this all day without enduring fits of nausea. I kind of hope this fragrance's popularity fades like an out-of-style piece of clothing.

To end on a positive note: You might have some success using the tiniest amount of the fragrance combined with another of your choosing. You will have to mix and match to get something worthwhile.

smells like's avatar

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

I've come to love this fragrance as an alternative to the popular summer hot weather scents. The Kenzo brand isn't familiar to everyone, so this might be a hidden gem, a sleeper hit, or whatever cliche you prefer.

The initial scent was nothing special, but the dry-down is intoxicating and watery. I almost feel like I am smelling pond water. I know that probably sounds disgusting, but I am fascinated by it. Floral notes make up the garden around the stagnant pond, including lotus and a unique lemon peel essence that is nothing like the ubiquitous cheap lemon cleaner smell.

The longevity is average and sillage is moderately weak. People will have to go in for a full embrace to get the full scent of you. I actually prefer these qualities in a frag used in hot weather and casual situations.

WildThingy's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

L'Anonyme ou OP-1475-A by A Lab on Fire

The referring perfume L’Anonyme starts with a soft but interesting musky citrus/aldehyde-accord, very much like an easy, low end laundry detergent would do. Within a short while, maybe about 5 minutes the geranium chimes in. The scent feels even more faint, transparent due to that, despite this strong, quite familiar, yet singular flourish note. The clean musky, aldehydic accord has all gone then. An hour later the woody base takes over. It matches the geranium perfectly and for a while the two impressions switch back and forth. The rare whiffs of remaining geranium provide a pleasant reminder to soap (geraniol as a component of artificial rose). The base reminds me of L’Artisans Timbuktu. Tangy, woody, a bit sweet – my association is licorice, but not the well known black sap, but the raw wood itself. In the very end after about 5 hours a whiff of bone dry clean musk comes along. During its development the fragrance remains clearly perceptable to me, the wearer. But it nevers seems to be loud, just right. Sillage and or projection have not been tested. Results vary anyway, so try it by Your own.

Unisex, all buttons hit, perfectly executed. Less sweet than Timbuktu. Unique otherwise by the favorable addition of that lovely geranium. Another comparison could be Bond #9 – New York Oud. Too much rose, to loud, yet bland.

For me L’Anonyme is a worthwhile scent to have. It is cheap to own. Alas, besides the good quality I’m not fond of this style of a woody drydown. Timbuktu tended towards unpleasant for me. This one is by far more bearable. I'll use it occasionally, or better let use.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

Luxury trash. No oud, but plenty of cheap synthetics. Thus a fitting signature fragrance for this house.

Dominic Grenouille's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

I find others think this creation to be a bit mislabeled as meant for the feminine gender. I agree that it veers towards what most would think a more masculine scent. The layers, one after an another, are stoic & of an earthy strength. But I would think this bravery to be similar to that of Jeanne d'Arc, if hinting at all of feminity.The Anima Animus of more wisely crafted scents from a maison that is known for making the seperation of sexes in scents to be a deep yet polite one. Being new to this Basenotes realm, this creation was the first of fresh & unknown treasures for me to find in the delightful format of sharing thoughts. I cannot remember whose review I read that led me to seek out this scent, but my gratitude is immense - somewhat like the scent itself.