Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

Dominic Grenouille's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

I find others think this creation to be a bit mislabeled as meant for the feminine gender. I agree that it veers towards what most would think a more masculine scent. The layers, one after an another, are stoic & of an earthy strength. But I would think this bravery to be similar to that of Jeanne d'Arc, if hinting at all of feminity.The Anima Animus of more wisely crafted scents from a maison that is known for making the seperation of sexes in scents to be a deep yet polite one. Being new to this Basenotes realm, this creation was the first of fresh & unknown treasures for me to find in the delightful format of sharing thoughts. I cannot remember whose review I read that led me to seek out this scent, but my gratitude is immense - somewhat like the scent itself.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Champion by Davidoff

A fellow Base Noter noted that this was not as bad as everybody stated so I decided to give it a try. It is true, it is a nice blend, albeit lacking originality: it is a bergamot prominent top note fragrance, this meaning that it is in the same fashion as a kind of blend that became very poular since the 1990's, of which many are still widely available in the market - XS, Himalaya, Allure, Eternity, Brooks Brothers for Men, Safari, O de Lancome for men as well as new ones, like Mont Blanc Legacy, to which we must add the myriad of inexpensive scents released after these ones, like the local Alliance by Carlos Benaim. Of course there are differences between Champion and the rest of the ones in the group, thanks to the availability of modern-day aromachemicals contributing to better projection, longevity and complexity. But, unless you are into details, the overall feeling is that is on the same vein as those we've been smelling for a decade or more.

This leaves me wonder about marketing decision making and perception: in this case, one ends up thinking that what is being offered is a marketing concept rather than a content. Not a bad thing per se, I regard this might be a hit among athletes. As for those looking for information on the product, they might as well look after other less expensive options, for there are plenty of them.

rain///man's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Rain or shine, hot or cold, young or old. This is one scent that fits it all. Simply a marvellous fragrance that can be worn by absolutely anyone at anytime. Fresh, complex, Masculine and invigorating. Classic but never a hint of being dated, and will never be, just as relevant in these times as it was in the 70's.

shamu1's avatar

Cleopatra by Tocca

Unfortunately, Cleopatra is one of those scents that smells great on a smelling strip or when you sniff the atomizer nozzle, but dies a quick death on skin. On paper, it smells like a dreamy, silky rose and patchouli scent, an accord I love. However, on skin, it smells dull and uninspired. The silkiness is gone, and the notes smell almost like they're repelling one another. The various notes smell like they are poorly blended, and Cleaopatra ends up smelling like another boring heady floral thrown together with some patchouli by some amateur hack. It reminds me of a lot of the fragrances made by Fresh.

Not a terrible scent by any means, but not an inspired one either.

MY RATING: 5/10

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

No. 89 by Floris

very very traditional woody aromatic scent.
    very english, very conservative, old school, and a bit dated- nevertheless this is a classic fragrance for an older man.
    It stands in a line with fragrances of a time where a man smelled a bit of a barbershop : soapy-sandalwood, lavender,musk , citrus etc were allowed as ingredients .If you like the older scents by Creed, Penhaligon´s,etc. you will appreciate this understated, discreet and unspectacular well done fragrance too.
    I personally dislike this kind of empty and uninteresting fragrances- they are in a way unique but I miss the vital spark, the glimmer that infects me- this fragrances does not captivate my senses.By way of apology it has to be said that this fragrance does not claim to be captivating , innovative etc.- it´s a classic scent of another time but definitely outstanding in comparison to all the mud which is produced nowadays e.g. the non ending aquatic theme and cheap copies of cool water etc.

shamu1's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Grey Flannel smells so crisp and green, I'm always surprised that so many people despise this scent. It must be the violet leaf, which can smell bitter and ascerbic to many people, and the tremendous sillage this fragrance projects.

This is an extreme violet leaf scent - its potency will nearly knock you on the floor. I love the violet leaf in this because it is so complex - sometimes it smells green, sometimes peppery, sometimes woody, and sometimes almost metallic. Grey Flannel smells more like a chypre to me than a fougere because there's a lot of oakmoss in this, and this is a rather bitter and crisp scent.

I ahve yet to smell another fragrance that smells like Grey Flannel, it's so unique. It is just so classic and timeless, and it's suitable for any occasion. However, I prefer to wear this in a business setting, wearing a suit and tie. Grey Flannel is also very austere, and it projects an attitude that you mean business when you wear it. In the right setting, it can be an intimidating fragrance.

My wife introduced me to Grey Flannel back in the early 90s when I first got interested in fragrances. It's always been a favorite of hers, and she loves it when I wear it. I'm glad she introduced me to it, because I love it too.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

jdnba's avatar

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Fragrance by John Varvatos

Tried it the other day and was very impressed...on me it turned into wood and cinnamon/spice....IMO, could easily pass for something by tauer! I will be getting a bottle soon.

renzo's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Jacomo de Jacomo Deep Blue by Jacomo

This is a GREAT new scent from Jacomo. It looks like it's just going to be another blue water scent...but it's not. While it is fresh, it's also woody, warm and long lasting. I't's also not expensive. If you like fresh, warm, woody, and spicy...give this a try!

Bought it today and completely agree with Joshaugustt ! A wonderfull mix of warm, fresh, woody and spicy...

Jacomo makes good perfumes !

shauna's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

i don't get any of the notes listed, just a cloyingly sweet, artificial mass of fluff

Grottola's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Hypnotic Poison is delicious. Yes, it's totally unisex, and to me it smells like amaretto/cream soda, giving off a "Dr. Pepper" vibe. This is a good thing, because Dr. Pepper is my favorite soda, and any fragrance that smells like Dr. Pepper is fine by me :)

As sweet as Hypnotic Poison is, I find it totally tolerable and completely pleasant, but it's quite easy to apply too much; even in the EdT form. So, just go easy on the sprayer. The combination of soda-like heliotrope and subtle moss is a match made in heaven. Even if you're not a gourmand fan, you should try this one. It projects like a beast and lasts all day for me, and I love the bottle too - straight out of a Disney movie.

Highly recommended if you've got a sweet tooth. Annick Menardo is a genius perfumer.

jtd's avatar

Dazzling Silver by Estée Lauder

I think Dazzling Silver is successful for the same reason that No 5 is. They both play with the notion of a flower or a bouquet of flowers using floral references, then add something else entirely. For No 5, these references are famously from actual botanicals, ie. Chanel’s own rose & jasmine harvests. For DS, I image the floral references are more chemically derived. To this floral understructure, they both then add heavy doses of aromachemicals that are recognizable more for their specific nose-tones or qualities rather than for their floral reference. No 5’s famous aldehydes, DS’s helional. In both cases, floral is the start, not the goal.

25 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 May, 2011)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Bergamot, and neroli in the opening with decent projection. Not exactly what I was expecting from Versace's flagship fragrance, but then again, I can see this appealing to the newer generation of fragrance lovers. While personally, I feel The Dreamer should be their flagship fragrance.. I don't think Versace pH is horrible though.

It's actually a bit different from most aquatics on the market. Where as, you'll find a lot of the melon notes, fruits, and the aquatic feel. VpH goes more the citrus/floral route, yet still manages to be an aquatic. If ya don't like neroli, then ya won't like this one. The tangy bergamot/lemon may start this fragrance off, but it isn't long before the bitter/powdery neroli note comes out and dominates the opening. Neroli is a flower on an orange tree that blossoms, its smell is distinguished and anybody who knows a bit a about fragrance notes, should be able to pick this note out in virtually any fragrance. It's bitter, powdery, semi-sweet with a little spice. The problem I have noticed with many neroli notes in non-niche fragrances, is they can come off smelling very chemical if ya sniff too much. This is no different in VpH's case.

As it fades into the floral heart notes, the neroli compliments it, but it also becomes spicy out of no where. It reminds me of Adidas Moves heart notes more than anything. But where Moves is incomplete and lacks base notes for the most part, VpH has a nice light cedar, oud wood, and tonka base. The neroli is there until the end.

Longevity is pretty good (6-8 hours), but projection isn't the greatest on my skin. It reminds me of Adidas Moves until it dries down more, where it reminds me of Allure Homme Sport. I give it a neutral rating, because it's simply quite hard to find an citrus/aquatic that impresses me. This isn't bad for the average Joe, but I have some personal complaints about it.

25 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 May, 2011)

silversurfer's avatar

Burberry Sport for Men by Burberry

OK, I'll bite the bullet, and be the first to give my newby take on BS ( no, BSM would be a better abbreviation & not to be confused with BSIM or BSuM ;-) ).
    As described on tester bottle: "A woody citrus fragrance"
    Top notes: grapefruit, fozen ginger, wheatgrass accord
    Heart notes: sea breeze accord, red ginger, juniper berries
    Dry notes: cedarwood, dry amber, musk

Florida summertime test:
    On initial spray, I got a sense of freshness, with some citrus, grapefruit like scent, pleasing cardamom (much as if I crushed a seed or two in my teeth), along with some grassy-like notes. Ginger was more like ginger ale to me (Canada Dry, not Schwepps), rather than fresh ginger or ginger root.

A little later, I thought I got a whiff of salt spray, with perhaps a hint of the juniper berries, at least, something a little sweet; I seem to have lost the ginger, though.

BSM faded quickly on my skin, like it just ran out of steam, to the point I could scarcely detect any distinct base notes- just a clean, vague something-ness. Over all, it was pleasant, but nothing distinctive stood out, no "wow" factor here. This fragrance can take its place among all the other generic citrus "sport" bottles, eventually to be cleared off the shelves to make way for the new contenders.

25 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 June, 2011)

MonkeyBars's avatar

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

A very simple, direct, fresh, green scent, soft but dry. Opens with fresh green notes with a slight herbal edge, then settles into the heart which is dominated by the plant-ichor intensity of violet leaf, a dab of neroli, and not much else. Drydown fades this green accord gradually with the slightest glow of musk to warm it. Sillage is almost nonexistant and persistance is not too great either. But this smells very fresh and pleasant. Definitely not complex or bitter enough for me to wear regularly. EdGB has none of the synthetic fanfare of some traditional colognes, and I like that.

25 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2012)

The_Cologneist's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Pretty much a dark deep rose and patchouli mix. Exceptionally well done. The rose note is wet and dewy, similar to Rose 31's. The patchouli is dirty and bold.. but also clean. I hate patchouli based fragrances, and honestly, I would consider VdR to have more patchouli than rose. Needless to say, the combination is luscious, and the fragrance is beautiful.

25 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 January, 2013)

Darvant's avatar

Sergio Soldano for Men (White) by Sergio Soldano

A fresh and clear musky-rose fragrance with undertones of soapy balsams, suede and patchouli. In the same vein with Solo Soprani and CK One. The introducing citrus-lavender combo turns the aroma out in a classic hesperidic/musky, lemony/orangy, sharply floral and aromatic way while some woods (cedarwood in particular) imprint structure and solidity. The woods and the sharp green/ floral elements are perfectly counteracted by the soothing balmy notes (in a perfect general balance). The insertion of spices flavours the final creamy effect impressing virility and a touch of exoticism. Some green notes and the muskyness provide an important dose of boise. Sparkling, balanced, carismatic, finally soapier and optimistic fruity/floral woodsy fragrance. More than decently appointed. Longevity and sillage are in the average.

25 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 November, 2013)

Darvant's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

A less shadowy/boise and more deliberately "salty-marine" new Bvlgari Aqua that smells like a less intensely woodsy, paradoxically less metallic and more sweet-salty kind of fragrance. Missing the dark/green depth descending by woodsy-coniferous elements, polished by several further woody patterns and grey amber this one exudes finally a lighter, fresher, more ozonic-marine kind of salty aroma. In my opinion this flanker is by far less intriguing than the great grey predecessor which retains that sort of mountainy-piney cool touch that on the side of amber and woods turns this out as a more obscure and woodsy kind of deeper fragrance. The lighter version stresses the fruits on the top (the grapefruit is prominent with neroli and a sort of mellon smell) and the seaweeds while pulls apart a bunch of woods and the ambergris depth. No comparison with the original.

25 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 July, 2014)

LushLife's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

After spraying this on my wrist and giving it a few hours, I headed to Home Depot to do some shopping. I caught a whiff of some sort of floor cleaner, but realized I was in the carpet department.

Ah yes, it was Grey Vetiver. An overly citrus, thin, and underwhelming. I agree that the vetiver notes are smoothly blended, and the 'dirtiness' of the vetiver is missing from the frag. I also am able to get the image of 'grey' when I smell it. But it smells like something I'd clean my floor with. Not a fan

Evening Edged in Gold by Ineke

This is a soft, subtle floral fragrance. The osmanthus is there from the start to set the stage, and I have no idea what "angels trumpet" smells like per the notes. But I do get a soft osmanthus based floral which gains some unmph from a very prominent cinnamon note. I love cinnamon! and it was very smooth and well integrated. As the drydown approaches this fragrance gets richer, and almost ends up with a soft incense smell. Midnight candy, leather and woods are the final base notes listed - but I just smell a soft incense floral. I would have liked a more forceful ending, but there is a faint suede, gold smell that brings this to a close.
    Overall, soft floral with spices, with the whole affair getting a nice, rich ending - but still fairly faint to me. I do think it matches it's name, as it does have a gold tinge to it, and was certainly interesting throughout.

Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone

It opens with a very pleasant splash of fresh citrus (I would have said orange - but of course it must be nectarine) then a soft white non-desscript floral presented, with the citrus still playing along. But then....nothing much changed. It just kind of stayed there without warming up much. I never really smelled honey. In fact, over time the smell started to bother me a bit.
    I can see this being easy to wear and pleasant, but there was no excitement factor for me.

nineXseven's avatar

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Without question of the greatest perfumes ever made, Eau d'Hermes stands as one Roudnitska's ultimate masterpieces. One of the earlier Roudnitska's, within EdH lays bits of every perfume he would ever make as if it were the grenade that would explode into the works of his career. All of the themes he would later explore are presented in EdH - sharp citrus, subtle florals, animalics (civet, castoreum, etc.), and the combination of citrus with florals and animalics. Pick any Roudnitska from Eau Fraiche de Dior all the way through Parfum de Therese and you can find a bit of it in Eau d'Hermes.

Of course a perfume is not just a history lesson. Eau d'Hermes wears both comfortably and with the utmost comfort and class. Note this is NOT a perfume for newbies - advanced perfumistas only. The unattuned will likely not be able to recognize how much is happening on so many levels. If you are a newbie I can only encourage you to stick with EdH no matter what you think of it on first sniff. Don't let the cumin fool you - this note is soon lost in the mix and it wears like a broader spice blended with citrus. Eau d'Hermes is meant to be *worn* not sniffed on your wrist, and it will not smell right if you're just smelling a couple sprays on your hand.

From what I've heard the most recent reformulation, recognizable by the clear cap that replaced the copper cap, is not very good. Stick with any pre-clear cap formula and you'll be all set. For the person reading this who is already an Eau d'Hermes fan keep an eye out for one of the 120ml crystal flacons that have been available by custom order from Hermes boutiques.

Elixir by Penhaligon's

The opening, and heart, remind me of a specific scent memory. On a visit to California, I was fortunate enough to enjoy a convertible drive from Sonoma to the coast on a beautiful, sunny spring day. We traveled along a two lane back road, and found ourselves driving between two rows of eucalyptus trees lining the road. It was a wonderful smell that I remember to this day.

Elixir brings that smell alive. It opens with an airy, rough bark smell of eucalyptus! It is the smell of the peeling bark, and not like any other fragrance that I have smelled. There is a small shift towards the heart by introducing the cinnamon aroma of the bark spice. This is not ground cinnamon, and certainly not the sweet candy smell. It is rough, barky, woody cinnamon. This is a beautiful transition that keeps the faint woody trend alive, but adds the spiciness that keeps this novel. The theme is continued throughout the heart as a rosewood note is introduced.

Now, this is the only fault I see in the composition. The rosewood stands out too much, and there is not another note to play off of. It is pleasant, but I think could have been used to better effect by being used as a basis for lifting another note. In any event, it didn't really detract from the scent, but was just possibly a lost opportunity to raise the bar even higher.

The base adds the faintest of vanilla to this rosewood note, but does not transition after this point.

This is a soft, somewhat faint, fragrance. It never overwhelms, as many "orientals" can do. Some will find it too faint, but if you allow the fragrance to envelope you with it's breezy, airy mood, you will find a novel tale of oriental opulence tamed, and with unique notes. Let it take you where you will, or let it remind you of a great drive to the coast. Either way, it is worth a sniff!

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Sweet Pea by Bath and Body Works

Yes - Sweet Pea is very sweet .And as it is most likely designed for the 14-20 year old girl demographic ,it seems to succeed at it's mission.The lotion is nice -very sweet and long lasting scent (someone abandoned a partial bottle at work -so I tried some) .I have since bought a travel size set .I consider this scent (and brand ) to be in the cheap and cheerful/ fun buy scents.

adonis's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

Darker, dirtier, deeper than the original during the first hour. Not any longer lasting, however. I love RG so much that it's hard to criticize the intense version. It doesn't really merit a purchase if you already own a can of the fantastic and manly smelling barber shop masterpiece that is YSL Rive Gauche.

cao's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

it is strong but not overwhelming 80's scent.

i can not enjoy azzaro pour homme, versace l'homme, kouros (maybe not yet),
    but ho hang club works for me

erichtonius's avatar

France France

Acqua di Lavanda Ambrata / Amber Lavender by Santa Maria Novella

"Lavanda Ambrata", is a great lavender with a sweet amber base note which makes it more pleasant to wear during the day than "Imperial Lavender", a dry lavender water which is better for a non-fragrance day or to perfume an handkerchief. I particularly enjoy "Lavanda ambrata" on the countryside where a more sophisticated fragrance would be inappropriate. It could remind you "Pour un Homme" by Caron.

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Masaki SUu by Masakï Matsushïma

SUu is not an oriental flora (as it's said to be)l. SUu is a transparent "Soft Floral". SUu smells like the most beautiful authentic waterlily's (lotus) in the topnotes, really amazing. But it to my BIG sorrow this beauty turns on my skin in the base (I suspect the star anise in combo with cedar). This is one of the absolute most precious delicate scents I've tried - and that it still manages to have GREAT amazing sillage is rare. Like Japan captured in a bottle. A rare scent, for the one who doesn't want to "smell like everyone else".

Top notes are chinese grapefruit, tropical fruit and pear.
    Middle notes are star anise and lotus.
    Base notes are musk and cedar.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

ON me, what is termed as a classic ,makes me smell just like the local tom cat has used me as a scent marking post, on application, it smells turgid, rancid, and noiseatingly sweaty, its good job we all have differing body chemistry isnt it, i shall not waste another penny on this particular offering,

Kouros Energizing Tonique by Yves Saint Laurent

i got this from debbos, on a special offer and boy is it nice, its the total opposite of the original kouros , its fresh light airy, easy to wear and not at all cloying, last a good 6- 8 hrs on me, and stays close to the skin for longer,

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

what a fine fragrance, sweet and woody with a light medicinal quality and great aromatic projection, maybe a bit too strong for hot weather use, but its my signature cold weather night out fragrance i would recommend it to any one