Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

Wish by Chopard

This did not smell like Angel as I have heard. To me it was a linear Grape Candy.

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal

Starts as a patchouli balanced with a big white flower
    patchouli goes slightly powdery
    which it becomes a woody patchouli.

Redraider8493's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Dolce & Gabbana the One is a very unique scent. It has a very nice, classy, and possible sensual scent that everyone will love. This one was a HUGE let down. I bought this in Macy's after smelling it on my skin and I instantly fell in love with the scent. After using it for about a month or so I've noticed that the longevity lasts for about 3-4 hours max. The silage is present for about 35-45 minutes then sticks so close to the skin you have to put your nose to it to smell anything. Don't be afraid to over spray a little since this one will disappear before you even realize you had it on. I truly did want to like this scent but was frustrated with the longevity. I tried putting lotion on my skin right after a shower and same thing over and over. I asked my girlfriend 40 minutes after I put it on "What do you think of it?" She said think of what I don't smell anything. Case and Point this scent is very well made and an extraordinary scent for the first hour or so, then you can hardly smell it. I was disappointed with this purchase as I gotten the gift set with a big and small bottle of it thinking it was that amazing. I was dead wrong, I traded the big bottle so fast and now I'm sparingly using the smaller one on nights out for about 2 hour long nights. Extremely over hyped, poor longevity and silage, and just a big waste.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

This is a very pleasant cologne that's perfect for everyday wear; it's been my "default" cologne for several years. It smells fresh and clean, but not in a fruity, ephemeral way. I don't understand why it isn't rated higher. I wouldn't say this is a super sexy cologne to wear on a date, but it does the job of making you smell better than you would without it.

Appalachianitis's avatar

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio has quite a reputation, and I vaguely remembered it from my childhood, so I decided to give it a try this afternoon.

I don't get how this can be described as "sweet." To me, it smells...sharp and edgy. It's not unpleasant, but it's not something that I want to wear, either.

Cabaret by Grès

This has a very ow sillage on me with lots of pachouli... almost smells sweaty...

Scentologist's avatar

Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

While Oolong Infini is unique and smells great also, Trefle Pur is the star in this lineup. The orange and neroli sparkles in this composition. Cardamom adds a floral component and the moss mingles with violet and musk. The overall feel of this is a light green musk with decent longevity and sillage. Its not a powerhouse by any means but if your looking for something that is dazzling to wear and you've not been satisfied by the likes of other fresh fragrances, give this a go. This is pure sunshine and happiness!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Aoud Roses Petals by Montale

Like a budding green rose twined around a sliver of oud, AOUD ROSES PETALS is a refined composition that keeps the oud under wraps. Or perhaps Arabian oud is a little more subdued than its Cambodian counterpart. Scent projection may not be its strong suit but I find the retiring woody rose accord no less intriguing. If you're a guy after a sophisticated low-sillage rose scent which you could enjoy on the quiet, you should probably give this a wearing.

electric33's avatar

Brandy by Brandy

I agree with the descriptions from the positive comments. Brandy is friendly & easy to wear. It makes me happy. I love it.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Smells great! I got some awesome compliments on this one! At first I wasnt sure if I liked it, but after a while it grew on me. I really enjoy it now. It smells very unisex to me, but I like the sweet and powdery scent. It lasts about 5 hours on my skin and is a rather light scent. It does not seem to project a lot, but it seems to stay closer to the skin. Anyhow, it is a good fragrance and if you shop around on the internet a bit, you can get it for pretty cheap. I highly recommend it.

Royall Muske by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Very nice musk scent, good for working in close quarters with people as it will not over power. It smells very classic, like something from the 19th century. I like it a lot. The lasting power is something like 5 hours max on me, which is ok. It feels good to use on my face like an aftershave, but the one i got came with a sprayer that screws on the top so I can use it as a spray. The bottle is nice as well, very beautiful. I really like this.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris

An aromatic mix of wild florals and herbs gives this beautiful leather fragrance a civility and wearability that is rare with leather. The fragrance smells like a fine pair of scented leather gloves that were so popular during the Victorian era. The interplay of florals (iris, rose, narcissus), green aromatics (clary sage, rosemary, thyme, vetiver) and dry leather gives this fragrance almost an abstract identity that is hard to sort out. The balance differing notes is so precise that you can almost pick which aspect you are going to smell the most. For me it is all about leather. A beautiful fragrance.

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

I like the bottle a lot, its good to have in the collection. But I think the website I got it from must have sent me a really bad/old bottle of it. It came in a plastic box with mold growing all over it...and smelled awful. So i took out the bottle from the moldy box and sprayed it on. It is strong at first but settles into a nice tobacco scent. I only truly "like" this scent after about 4 hours after application. It starts off just being to strong, overpowering, and the top notes just don't fit my style. I dont wear it often, but whatever...the bottle rocks!

monsieur_sparkle's avatar

United Colors of Benetton Man by Benetton

Saw a bottle of this juice while waiting in line to check out at Marshalls. Cost was 10 bucks. Box was already open. I said, "what the hell."

United Colors of Benetton Man starts out with a very sweet, minty candy scent. Unfortunately, within seconds this harsh, monstrously loud synthetic woody note rises out of the candied depths like Swamp Thing from the primordial muck. The minty candy gets weaker and weaker and the "woods," which actually smell more like a really strong, really noxious rubbing alcohol, get stronger and stronger until finally you can take it no longer and scrub off this atrocity of a scent.

You can find a lot of good scents at really good prices at Marshalls. Quorum and Azzaro Man immediately come to mind. Unfortunately, United Colors of Benetton Man does fall into that category.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

This doesn't smell all that complex to me: creamy amber, slightly spicy vanilla, and a hint of coconut in the background. Over time, I've grown to like it more and more. And more women have told me I smell great wearing this cologne than any other I wear (New Haarlem, Live Jazz, and GIT are tied for second). Sillage is about average, but longevity is below par.

27 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 November, 2011)

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Damn Creed and its batch variations. The formulations of Millesime Imperial predating 2009 were fantastic, and this was my favorite scent in the world. Melony perfection. Thumb way up for those batches, as high as it will go.

Then came 2009. The 2009 and 2010 batches, to me, had a distinctly acrid, salty scent (reminiscent of the air at the beach with the wind blowing), and virtually none of the melony ambergris which made this scent beautiful and unique. These batches get a marginal thumbs down.

2011 batches are in between; they are closer to the 2008 melon, with less salt, especially as it dries down. So, I'm back to giving MI a big thumbs up.

But at this price point, Creed really needs to get its production side in order.

27 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2012)

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Smoky. Dark. Forbidding. I wear this when I want to take no prisoners at work. Did I mention smoky? This smells like a man would have smelled in the 1950s, and I don't think that's a bad thing (occasionally). As you would expect, sillage and longevity are excellent -- I can still smell this on my shirt at the bottom of the laundry hamper after a day or two.

Update: the more I wear VC&A, the more I like it. I think this is very nearly my favorite cologne, definitely in the top four (along with GIT, MI, and Egoiste). Please try it -- you're going to smell very unique among all the aquatics out there.

27 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 March, 2012)

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I didn't enjoy Green Irish Tweed the first few times I wore it, but each time I did so I liked it a bit more. After my third wearing (and several compliments from coworkers), I decided that it really is a great man's scent. One unique aspect: on my skin, good batches of Green Irish Tweed smells very strongly of violets after about an hour. I never would have thought violet would be a manly smell, but I was wrong. I can't say this is the greatest fragrance ever, but I probably love it equal to or more than almost any other scent, and think it's well worth the price (sometimes I like MI better, sometimes GIT). Sillage and logevity are better than most any other Creed I've tried.

27 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th July, 2012)

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Originally, I gave this a neutral because it smelled to me like pretty uncomplicated, unadulterated lemon. Over time, I've grown to like it more, and I think it has at least average sillage and longevity. I now prefer it as my lemon go-to cologne, which admittedly isn't often. For a nice Summer's day, it's a great scent.

27 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 January, 2013)

Darvant's avatar

Steam Aoud by Montale

As well as already elsewhere stressed this is an heavy aoud fragrance where several further notes as rose and sandalwood hardly manage to interact with the main resinous woody note. The powerful presence of aoud as combined with obscure indonesian herbs and further elements with a scarce presence of sweetness unfolds a sort of steamy aroma that lingers around in loneliness for hours with its shadowy edge till when an hint of rare mildness starts rising from roses/sandalwood brew. The herbs (hoggar Mota) procure a certain level of dryness although the final addition of amber exudes a touch of soapy mellifluence. I don't catch in the air the asserted dose of dissonance possibly procured by caraway. Steam Aoud leans over the masculine side in my opinion. Longevity and sillage are in line with the Montale's standards.

27 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2014)

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Tendre Poison by Christian Dior

It is sad that this has been discontinued.. A let down for all Poison fans. However the name of this fragrance is misleading. There is NOTHING really Tender about this Poison.. It comes out very strong almost harsh with it's bright boast of floral bouquet. It is like walking in the amazon seeing the rainfall in the distance, as you stumble upon a green tree you grab a branch but do not notice that hidden on the branch is a green mamba! ( snake ) It strikes @ you the moment you grab the branch. This is exactly how Tender is. Lovely, yet deceiving. It stays floral throughout it's life with wet green pastures lingering along. A see a mature woman wearing this beauty in the spring/summer days. Classy this is, & it last all day on me @ least 10+ hours & it projects very nicely. If you can find this, I say nab it before it becomes extinct! The vintage version is preferred if you can get it.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

Covet to my surprise is a very nice fragrance. It's not a WOW perfume but a nice one. It is very green but at the same time the dark chocolate in this gives this green beauty some dryness. It does sparkle & I would have to give that credit to the honeysuckle?! But @ any rate, it is nice for every day wear, to an office or just a day in the park, young women & old can enjoy this & men. This last between 6-8 hours on my skin & it projects ok. For the price of this set you can not go wrong. I see no reason how you can offend someone with this particular scent.

If green valley's, honeysuckle, & dark chocolate are your thing, then you DO NOT want to miss out on this. It does it's job well for what it is. Also it is very affordable. Nice!

patsavouta's avatar

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

for my skin it's the ultimate elegant / fresh / signature light fragrance for summer.. im so sad its so rare to find nowadays, probably beacuse treasures always are hard to find.. used this since it started production but i miss it now..

HDS1963's avatar

Homme Exceptionnel by Montblanc

I have yet to meet a woman yet who doesn't love this fragrance.

It is also one I have gone through fastest in the last year or so since I bought it - which out of a fragrance collection of around 200 bottles isn't bad going.

I'm not going to do the boring note by note breakdown of it, save to say this, it just WORKS.

I love it and will be buying a second bottle very soon.

Recommended.

RHM's avatar

Diva by Ungaro

With the IFRA restrictions on oakmoss, jasmine absolute, musks and many others, chypres, in particular, seem to be a dying breed. DIVA (edp) is a cultural gem and a very good example of the genre.

Notes are: mandarin, aldehydes, coriander, rosewood, tuberose, cardamom, rose, jasmine, narcissus, carnation, ylang ylang, patchouli, sandalwood, oakmoss, honey, vetiver, civet, musk and labdanum.

So called "modern chypres" , I'm looking at you 31 Rue Chambon, just can't compare.

Floral (look at that list) rich, complex and long lasting, DIVA is the Italian made superstar of the 80's and a pleasure to revisit today.

knit at nite's avatar

Eau Légère Boucheron by Boucheron

It always amazes me how the combination and proportion of individual notes influences the resulting scent. The notes ilisted in Boucheron Eau Legère are certainly among my favorite but, in toto, the resulting effect here is muddy. Although the scent does have some likeable orange and amber sensibility, to my nose it smells like there's been a light layer of petroleum jelly applied over it.
    BEL does have a certain elegant charm of older-school perfumery, and feels quality, despite a petrochemical accord, but it doesn't appeal enough to add to my shelf.

Weimar27's avatar

Imari by Avon

Imari is it Ambiguous or Androgymous? everyone has there own interpretation of what the mind preceives of what a scent should be, She is neither Girlish nor Womanly, Imari avoids the sweet naivete of candy notes and airy florals She is a deep and worldy Woman who takes no nonsense nor sugar-coateed Sentiment from no one.

The Scent of Imari opens with the note of Aldehydes dry and musty like dust on old leatherbound book forgotten from age then dries with Irises gives off A metallic smell like freshly carved ivory Piano Keys newly played while the thinly covered dust float slavishly in tune to the music under the beams from a Venetian blinds in the Early Morning light,

Imari dries Warm and Spicy due to the presence of Incense descreert enough not to overpower yet definde to make it's presence known, The incense note is also a thinly Disguised metaphore of Dimly lit
    street filled with rustic stores of exotic antiques and old Opium Dens
    and a Pagoda that silently hides between the house of vices incense burns quietly thoughout the night with the scent of sandalwood add to the nocturnal side of Imari.

The Note of Musk starts the Finishing of Imari very prominate it seemed to drown out the other notes ie
    Vanilla amber and ceder But the Sandalwood holds it's own and adds a fiery woodish twist to Imari The Musk IMHO is my favotite note It has a Mannish quality and make the scent a bit Androgymous almost masculine if you left out the Tuberose A Man can wear can wear this, So what is the question Is it Ambigious or Androgymous My Answer whould Be mostly Androgymous it's Blurs the line of Feminine and Masculine,

My Final verdict This is not a scent for young Girls it's a scent for a confident Independent woman who knows what she wants out of life and aware of her Sexuality and know how to use it.

AmateurFragMan's avatar

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

Got a 15ml mini at Walmart for 6 bucks... so right away it wins a "money saver" award. But is it worth the money you could've spent on a better frag? Maybe, maybe not. I bought it as an add-on to another fragrance I was buying just because I wanted to try it out so I can't really answer that from experience.

It's very generic smelling, so you know its not going to blow your nose hairs back. It reminds me a bit of T by Tommy Hilfiger, except it's got a "darker" feel to it whereas T has more of a "lighter" feel. It's sporty, a little spicy, and sweet. I like the dry down alot, even though it stays close to the skin. Actually, this stays pretty close to my skin in all phases, but I wasn't really expecting much anyway for 6 bucks. And unfortunately, it gave me very limited longevity, which I can't excuse even given the cheap price. Other frags of comparable cost last longer than this did for me...

Overall, it's just ok. Nowhere near a thumbs up, but not poor enough to deserve a thumbs down. It's a decent knock-around juice, good for an after shower spritz or running errands just to smell nice, but I won't have much use for it otherwise.

Red Theodora's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Well, no, it was actually here on earth. It was a long time ago, though. A very young Theodora was travelling through Europe for the summer and while in Germany she - or rather I - was introduced to 4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser.
    It was and still is a very refreshing tonic. Perfect for summer travel.
    Plus, whenever I smell it I'm transported to that lovely summer so long ago.

Red Theodora's avatar

K de Krizia by Krizia

My Auntie Marie made a perfumista out of me at an early age. Marie worked the fragrance counter at a large Chicago department store. When she came to visit she would bring a suitcase loaded down with bottles of perfume for my mother and myself. I so looked forward to her coming to stay.
    On one very memorable visit she brought me a bottle of K de Krizia. I had never smelled anything like it before. I didn't know anything of perfume classifications and of course didn't have any idea I had just fallen in love with a chypre. But that started me on a life long obsession.
    Thank you, Auntie Marie!