Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

Red Theodora's avatar

Halston by Halston

I along with many women of my generation flocked to buy this fragrance when it first came out on the market. It was lovely.
    Oh, my poor Halston, what have they done to you!

Kukka's avatar

Vanille Cannelle by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I love vanilla and I love cinnamon. Put them together and it smells like a sweet, STRONG cigar! My husband hated it. I'll stick with Vanille Abricot. Yum!

brrrry's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

I have to agree with bokaba on this. A little too floral (mostly the rose) for me. I do like the musk in this and do find it slightly comparable to my ulitimate fav musk frag MKK. I keep getting wafts of it from time to time and it's starting to turn my stomach (second time this has happened with Kiehls Musk). I can see why some like it but I don't think it's for me.

perfaddict's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920

Vetiver Ambrato - my first Bois 1920, and a brilliant introduction to this house.

It may just be my nose, but Vetiver Ambrato smells like a very refined, vetiver-tinged Old Spice (original Shulton edition). Comparison of the Old Spice pyramid here on Basenotes and the Vetiver Ambrato pyramid elsewhere confirmed my hunch: many notes in common.

Vetiver Ambrato, a barbershop scent, is a slightly clovey (carnations?) amber fragrance laced with vetiver. Vetiver is not dominant in this frag but it is there, especially in the sillage of the first hour after application. Vetiver and galbanum temper the predominantly sweet notes of VA, and i guess this, rather than as a signature note, is the primary purpose of the vetiver.

Sillage is modest, but can fill a small room if liberally sprayed (personal guilt admitted). Longevity is surprisingly significant. Easily 8+ hours after application i still smell it wafting of my chest.

I have always loved Old Spice since childhood. Vetiver Ambrato will now be my new and more refined Old Spice.

Great frag.

Weimar27's avatar

Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

This should be called Deep Orange because on my skin
    I get a blast of Juicy Oranges and Mandrian I expected something more deep and intoxicating worthy
    of the Color that made men drop to their feet when a
    Madame comes struting and use her wiles
    for suduction or in the middle ages people feared it was the symbol of the devil and mortal sin but instend it's tame with no silage it fades within 15 or 20 min I would like it to have more spices mixed with incense with pomergrate to fire this up it's not bland but nothing to wright home about.

bobosan336's avatar

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Air freshener meets lemon floor cleanser.

bobosan336's avatar

Essential Sport by Lacoste

Pleasant, fresh, a tad sweet, quite soapy. Strong grapefruit mixed with a bit a citrus and juniper. The ice cold water note is probably the slight winterfresh sensation - but it's in the background and almost undetectable

pimiento's avatar

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

Cheap sure, but really not bad, masculine & peppery but still refreshing and aquatic. Te mint adds a nice touch too

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

To me it starts off with in oily strong smell and then drys down to chocolate-caremal God. What a master piece.

chet31's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Creed

The scent that jumps out at me is new to me, it must be the Russian birch tar, along with lemon in the background. Somewhat low-key scent, really have to layer it on to get projection, and does not last. If this was a scent I liked better, I would worry about the sillage, but I just don't care for it. I can see where an enthusiast might like it, it's definitely different.

barclaydetolly's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Ugh. How is this a man's scent? On me it smells powdery and flowery. I was hoping for something with an almond scent somewhere in it, but the powder and flower smell overwhelmed everything else. Smells like the back of an older woman's closet.

andrewhurst's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

In my opinion the second best Prada men's fragrance in the house (under Amber Intense.. which hasn't been added to bn yet). You get a quick 2 minute burst of orange, then dries down to a clean soap that isn't as overpowering as Amber pour homme (which has to be applied carefully otherwise it tends to dry my mouth out and choke me). I get iris notes throughout the entire life of the fragrance which I love. But absolutely get no incense. I doubt anyone does.

florestano's avatar

Hascish Homme by Veejaga

I bought it in 1982 was very different from what you describe, probably the new bottle (black cap) has been reformulated, but it seems to me the same old caron Yatagan of

Buddy97's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

My first vetiver, purchased on holidays in Spain some years ago, it set the bar very high for those following and I have yet to find anything superior. I have since purchased Guerlain Vetiver and truly enjoy it, but find that is less of a true Vetiver than this, which is Vetiver as it was meant to be, raw and natural.

Green, earthy and herbal, with longlasting soapy vetiver throughout, this always brings a smile to my face and raises my spirits. Sillage is lowish but it has good longevity, albeit a skin level. The epitome of Meditteranean summerness, an absolute masterpiece. I love it to bits; it can be difficult enough to find but I have just received another bottle from my dear wife on her return from the Canaries. Cannot reccomend this highly enough.

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

best of armani men for me, along with white - i met this scent about 2001 and it had to be my main fragrance since then.. absolutely elegant, soft, clean, crisp, and free.. always worked great to my skin, weird thing when i smelled it to others it wasnt the same thing, its a perfume that gets involved with your skin smells i guess and then it performs.... one of my loved fragrancies ever.

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 29th May, 2011)

lionheart's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I only give this a thumbs up because I think I know what they were going for. I ordered a decant after asking you fellow BNers what kinds of scents might suggest "bad" smells, you know, the sexy side of body odor, etc. This was one of the suggestions.

I have a REALLY REALLY strong stomach. I dabbed this on my wrists. IMHO is smells like a mix between a wet dog and the way a really severe wound smells after it's stopped bleeding and is trying to heal. It is revolting. I actually feel like regurgitating.

I think it's quality, but DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS. It could be great for the right person, just not for me.

Actually, I just tried it again and went for a run. After the run, the frag lost some of it's sickening edge and dried down (or heated up) into something more palatable. However, I just can't imagine whom you could be around while wearing this fragrance.

I agree with others that liken this to a work of experimental art. This is a Jackson Pollack among Michelangelos and da Vincis.

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2011)

claytonmarionneaux's avatar

Raw Vanilla by Coty

Very nice scent,its starts off with a strong soapy smell and then dry's down to a sweet (still soapy :) ) vanilla. Very good refreshing smell if i say so myself.

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 03rd June, 2011)

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Iris de Nuit by Heeley

As already written by other reviewers, this is a light scent; even at its very opening when most scents try to strike you with their top notes, IDN is so soft, almost impalpable, that you have to wonder whether you have been fooled to buy a fake & diluted version of a perfume..

True enough, after a while this seems to come back a little with some sort of a powdery/sweet/floral combination that is not exactly what I'd expect from an allegedly iris centered scent. Maybe I see now why they called this Iris de nuit, what you get of it here is really more like the breath of a sleeping iris..

Not a terrible scent, but the fact itself that you (or at least I) have to apply no fewer than 10 sprays to get anything out of it at all makes me think something's not quite right here..

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th June, 2011)

ysatis's avatar

Ukraine Ukraine

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

If you like to feel soberness and joy - that's your parfume!!! happiness, impressions -also! but, enjoy responsibly!!!

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 06th December, 2011)

Buddy97's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

This is good, really good, far superior to scents many times its price. I tried it based on reviews herein, with a large dollop of scepticism, but the positive reviews are fully justified.

To me it's quite an old school type scent, very citric opening, a little sweet, evolving to a musky leathery base. Very well blended, seamlessly moving from top to base, each stage enjoyable.

The old saying "Never judge a book by its cover" never ringing truer, as the exterior belies the quality within. I'm now on my second bottle, having spent less sthan €20 on both. Perhap not the most original, but in terms of VFM, this leads the way and I'll always have a bottle in my wardrobe.

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th September, 2012)

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

still best of kenzo's men eau's: eternal fragrance... signature, splashing, elegant, unique kenzo pour homme is always in my case and works great on winter and on summer, on day and on night.. originally quirky, fresh on its own way and all time modern.. miss the old sculpture bottle tho :P

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 15th March, 2013)

Darvant's avatar

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

A gem, the perfect evolution of an almost perfect fragrance, the original Santos. The Concentree version stresses much more some elements in the way it comes finally out more woody, misty-resinous, ambery and incensey but a touch less sweet and herbal. I don't detect a more stressed neroli accord and perceive as unadulterated the original dosage of spices and green notes that anyway are in here either less prominent at perception. Obscure as a dark forest, aromatic, woodsy, earthy and spicy, in the same vein with juices a la Athunis Sigilli or Mona di Orio Vetyver. Look at my review of the original. Longevity and projection are slightly more powerful than in the original version.

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th July, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

Madison Square Park by Bond No. 9

I like so much Madison Square Park cause in its body coexist either virile and sensually feminine traits. Androgynous. It's undeniable that for the main part of the development the stressed floral patterns push the button over the feminine side (the wake anyway keeps constantly its feminine sophisticated temperament) but the gorgeous dry down is rooty and visceral/animal in a way that (as soon as the opening floral burst diminishes in intensity) its acid woodsy temperament could be associated with the aroma of sweaty warm skin of man with its proper level of acidity. As well as the floral whiff is still on the edge the fragrance evolution still reminds anyway the sweet undertone of the women's milder sweat while, fading in intensity the floral power, a sort of more properly virile vibe starts emerging. This is, together with New York Oud, one of the most interesting fragrance of a brand which I don't particularly crave for. This fragrance performs the luxurious aroma eliciting by a bunch of floral patterns as rose, tulip and hyacinth as rooted on a bed of grass, vetiver and musky resin of teakwood which, blended together, develop a sort of ambery dense organic vaguely acid type of scent. The key element is anyway the huckleberry which provides acidity, darkness and a sort of human sweat odour that unfolds a sensual and captivating final subtleness. A thumbs up.

28th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th July, 2014)

Gilgamesh2003's avatar

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

A plasticky futuristic version of Kouros, KCS is a good but inessential scent. This prunes away the notes that take Kouros from interesting to amazing.

Kouros is to Kouros Cologne Sport as Azzaro PH is to Onyx .

If you want a summer version of Kouros, try Kouros. If you like Kouros but find it too threatening you might like Cologne Sport.

Bigtruck260's avatar

English Leather by Dana

I have been using EL on and off for 20 years...and I guess that's good favor since I have a bottle under my sink at the moment. VERY strong lemon/leather when you first splash it on. Wife HATES when I put it on after an evening shower (the best time). After about 15 minutes, EL becomes an old and welcome friend. Very masculine, and not "old" like some colognes...I'll probably always have it around.

shamu1's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

It's no coincidence that none of the reviews on Red For Men can adequately describe what it smells like. There are allegedly over 600 ingredients in this, making it just about impossible to point out individual notes. I don't find any of the traditional fragrance categories apply here - fougere, oriental, chypre, leather, floral, etc..

What I can say is that the two most prominent notes I smell are leather and moss, and everything else is just all spice, herbs and wood notes, many of which are obviously synthetic. Two fragrances which are very similar to it are Preferred Stock and Trussardi Uomo. It's an 80s styled heavy power scent, with concrete-like transparency.

I like Red For Men, but it's lacking something. I guess I'd say it doesn't have the charisma of a powerhouse like Quorum or Lapidus Pour Homme - sure it's loud, unrefined and crude, but it feels like it's a strong scent simply for the sake of being a strong scent, and that's it. I think it's the heavily synthetic smell and the sheer volume of notes that blur Red's identity and make it a fragrance with an identity crisis. It lacks the darkness of most 80s powerhouse scents, plus it was released at a time when that style of fragrance was beginning to be out of style. It's trying to be part of the Fendi Uomo and Kouros gang, but it came too late to the party, and it shows in the way it smells.

All in all, however, Red For Men is a good fragrance that every power fan should check out.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

for me its the best perfume from paul smith for man. reminds a lot of glorious farehneit by dior, but still stands original and alternative, personal favourite.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

definitely a signature perfume, and probably the inspiration for later joop! pink juice.. quite present, pretty original, spicy and warm as hot!! liked it in a way

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

classic all the way... warm but not burnt, hot but not cheap, fresh but not soapy, sweet but not chocolatey, fahrenheit is another fragrance that gets involved with your skin and makes the trick..actually present anywhere, anytime!

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

fresh and sweet, pretty signature scent, nice one.