Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

patsavouta's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

classic all the way... warm but not burnt, hot but not cheap, fresh but not soapy, sweet but not chocolatey, fahrenheit is another fragrance that gets involved with your skin and makes the trick..actually present anywhere, anytime!

patsavouta's avatar

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

fresh and sweet, pretty signature scent, nice one.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I wrote a review that I think got lost to the aether. No matter. The general idea is this...

1. Deep, dark cacao bar in the upper 80 percent range (that's a super dark chocolate bar to you non-chocolate lovers).

2. Subtle patchouli

3. Multiple ladies gave me unsolicited compliments on test day.

4. Very unisex

And I fifth point that I forgot to add is that I will be putting it on my to-buy list.

mk2jettavr6's avatar

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Fragrance Is very linear, not a dirty rose at all very femine...only get 4 hours max on longevity, very dissapointed after buying this on a blind buy.... average fragrance overall nice but not impressed unfornately.

Aaron01's avatar

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Baie de Genièvre Feuilles de Canneliers

Top: Bergamot, cinnamon leaves
    Mid: Clove, juniper berry
    Base: Vetiver, ambergris

I think of this as an upper class Italian barbershop type scent. It opens with a great blast of juniper combined with lemon and of course, cinnamon; the citrus note is present throughout. The eventual drydown is upon a rich, wet vetiver and some soapy note that gives it its barbershop quality. A lot of people think it to be a cold weather scent. As someone who lives where it's basically 65*F all year round, I think it works quite well when it's warm, even hot, out.

This is truely one of my favorite Creeds and is shamefully underrated, especially among its rather pedestrian bretheren.

melliferam's avatar

Honoré's Trip by Honoré de Prés

I think other reveiwers were having a seriously grumpy day when they wrote about this lovely fragrance. The delightful Les Senteurs describe this as "A riotous celebration of love and the sheer joy of living" and i would concur.
    This is a lovely, juicey, uplifting fragrance, marred only by its serious lack of staying power. Luckily i obtained a bottle at a very good price on ebay so dont feel cheated by paying a lot for something so ephemeral.
    I have it in a little handbag spray decant, and use it as aromatherapy at work. When I feel stressed or a little wan I spritz this on, and for the few minutes it lasts it brightens my mood and freshens the room. Used this way its a lovely, lovely, entirely organic burst of sunshine.

Mario-K's avatar

Poland Poland

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

One of ma favourite scent. Not too loud, but very sensual... I love every drop of L'Homme on my skin. The best middle and base notes I ever smell. Longevity much better on warmer days. Perfect for every ocassion. I had to buy two 90ml bottles. Love it!

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I've mixed feeling on Iris Bleu Gris! While I'm totally fascinated by its opening I get somehow disappointed in the drydown.

Iris Blue Gris opens with a blast of hyper-realistic and earthy iris root joined by bitter and "wet" green notes. Outstanding, magistral and even challenging for it's extreme bitterness. It turns then to a more conventional, yet absolutely compelling middle phase where iris plays its main part. What disappoints me is the bitter green aspect of the opening that in this phase has morphed to a soapy "cleanness" softening the initial austerity. Gentle, suave and well refined (too much for my taste), but after the promising opening it leaves me somewhat unsatisfied.

Overall this is a very good fragrance highly recommended to anyone who loves iris root but also to the ones of you who simply want to releate with a master composition.

I give it a "thumbs up" on an objective basis.

George Sand by Les Parfums Historiques

If you're familiar with the character of George Sand you'll probably realize that this composition by JF Laporte is a real homage to an unconventional lady, responsible of memorable novels as well as being one of the first women to fight for women's rights. Uncompromising yet classic, resolute yet romantic and absolutely unforgettable. And that's exactly how this perfume smells.

A dark opening with a threatening patchouli note joined by rose and contrasted by a strident - yet barely perceptible - bitter citrus. Scary, mysterious but absolutely compelling and somehow familiar. It quickly turns to a very classic sandalwood / patchouli / musk drydown of rare perfection. An incredibly solid composition that's classic in the structure but masterfully orchestrated to perfectly pay homage to one of the most controverisal writer/personality of the '800.

JeanieE's avatar

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Truly DIFFERENT. And at this point in developing my wardrobe, that is what I am looking for. I was not in search of this fragrance, but rather given it in the very generous stack of samples from Robin and Mona, AWESOME SAs at Barneys Las Vegas!

Pretty spicy on top: I don't usually appreciate cloves but it is totally working here. Trying to discern exactly what is the rare Cassie flower in here...but it is different, and right now I like that. "like a haute couture gown" reads the sample card. Fitting for Vegas.

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

A Travers Le Miroir by Thierry Mugler

Through the looking-glass...... I find it quite fitting a name for this one. Have always found it very intoxicating, in the sense of: 1. The feeling of a beautiful young woman with all the beautiful things you'd imagine her having.... 2. From time to time when wearing this, having to just simply and only, enjoy the fragrance, and relaxing my body parts so that the scent takes over and all the things it springs to mind (Drugs is one thing this reminds me of.....erm).
    Got a bit sad when my mother told me it smelled like strawberries......and yeah the similarities are striking if you actually think about it. But some strange strawberries then. Guess it's easy to draw such associations to perfume.

Anyway this is very feminine as I said, but pretty unique (and don't worry 'bout what I said about strawberries really...unless you're worried about the strangeness), and yes has some kind of woodiness...and sharpness (tuberose-ish like jtd explained it very well). So it's extremely unisex, or should I say on the traditional male/female-what-to-wear-scale this can fit anywhere, unlike a lot of niche unisex floral fragrances I've come accross.

It doesn't last long though, but it does really help to re-apply after 15-20 minutes.........and be liberal with the spraying, & wear in the summer heat. Projection/sillage is pretty good.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Oud Cuir D'Arabie by Montale

A dirty barnyard-like accord establishes the opening, and is soon accompanied by a pungently smoky note that recalls charred timbre. I can't say I enjoy this aspect - the combination smells like someone's been using animal dung for fuel. Isn't that what they used to do in ancient times?

Thankfully for me, this craggy phase settles down quickly, leaving a rather pleasantly evocative saddle leather scent that is unfortunately short-lived. On my skin, OUD CUIR D'ARABIE dries down to a lightly floral musk, with animalic nuances along the development that are mildly reminiscent of Serge Lutens' Muscs Koublai Khan.

Like a raunchy dirty dance that ends with a chaste peck to the cheek, it leaves me somewhat dissatisfied but eager for the next encounter.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

This is a light, woody aquatic with an unfortunate twist. For whatever reason, BMTC launches a delayed assault on both my sinuses AND my bronchial tubes. I often wonder if people reviewing scents analyze them enough, complete with at least one full wearing, to discover these issues. The problem doesn't arise until at least an hour in, if not more.

This is an unacceptable side effect that could render even the most perfect smelling fragrance a useless bottle of liquid. It is also further proof that EVERYONE should run at least one full and complete test on a fragrance before buying it, no matter what the reviews say, and no matter how "money" that tester card smelled.

cello's avatar

Ginger Ciao 2.27 by Yosh

Ginger Ciao comes out of the vial very creamy, in texture and smell. It is thick and tropical smelling, with a coconut vibe that sets the state of mind. But this is not just coconut smelling, it is surrounded with a dark vibe - fresh, yet with an edge. Ginger is used to sharpen this creamy note, but it stays mellow due due to some rich florals that are added. A lovely spicy lily is the culprit (one of my favorite floral notes). Basil emerges to continue the herbal slant, but the coconut floral notes are forefront. It settles into your skin and seems to become your natural smell as it drifts towards it finale.

If I were vacation on a hot, sultry night, watching the sun fall off the edge of the earth over the ocean, and I was in the mood for a little casual fun, I probably would not reach for one of my beloved Chanels. But I might reach for something like this. It has a casual, yet rich feel to it. Soft and pretty, but fun loving, and sexy due to the rich florals and edgy odd notes.

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

A sibling of Aramis Havana and Remy LaTour Cigar. I don't get pipe tobaco, maybe a hint of unsmoked cigar tobacco, heavily flavored, but I can't really say it smells like a cigar. Of the 3, this has the least amount of staying power, but I'll give it a thumbs up as an inexpensive alternative to Aramis Havana.

Havana by Aramis

This is a tobacco fragrance, but I would call it "the usual scent that the industry calls tobacco." This is not unpleasant, but to me, it does not smell like pipe, cigar, or cigarette tobacco. The lavender and bay rum are more obvious. I would wear this as something different, but not sure I would purchase.

cformosa4's avatar

Jimmy Choo by Jimmy Choo

Overly sweet. It contains notes of apple and a very intense pear. I really like the pear, but this stuff is smothered with caramel/toffee and chocolate. It takes what would normally be a really nice, fresh and bright top and just weighs it down with heavy, sticky sweetness. There is also some light floral notes which are being masked by the sweetness as well...

This scent is very immature; in the way that a kid would would choose a candy apple over a regular one.

Sooo if you haven't caught on.. its definitely not a well balanced scent... weighs way to heavily on sweetness. But, I have to give it a neutral, because it smells very natural and a single spray may actually be pleasant on a girl. There is no doubt in my mind that this stuff will be popular in high schools across the globe...
    I can see this stuff getting over sprayed by the youngsters though... watch out!

29 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2011)

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Not so much to say about this marvellous creation beside that Ambre Precieux it's huge! If you like your amber to be straight ahead and slightly spiced you've found your holy grail. Embracing, sweet but perfectly balanced, warm and comfortable, highly intoxicating and addicting. Simply one of the best amber around. A masterpiece.

29 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2011)

jamwires's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The Holy Grail.

If I had to pick one fragrance, and wear it for the rest of my life, it would be GIT. It's masculine, very wearable, and the most versatile scent I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. Summer, winter, day, night, blue jeans, formal - all your bases are covered here.

I was hesitant to buy GIT at first, because, I thought it would smell generic (with the Cool Water comparisons and all), but that's really not the case. I don't live it a world where I constantly smell men wearing either GIT or Cool Water. I'm used to smelling 1 Million on guys my age.

GIT is a jack of all trades, and a good one.

29 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

I submit in this space my review for the new Bond n. 9 Signature whose for the moment we haven't a special space for reviewing and while waiting for it, sorry.
    Decidedly feminine and sultry. This one is the smell of a woman that while sweating exudes all the scents, the balsams, the creams, the secretions and the cosmetics of its sensual, voluptuous and clean body. Unfortunately the initial evolution is a bit off-putting for my nose cause the opening is too much fruity and kind of synthetic with its resinous sort of gummy feel of chewing gum. The strong dosage of aoud tends to project in a while a dissonant, balsamic aroma as deep and acute to come out with somewhat salty nuances. The note of tonka is not smoky but caramellous and gummy and the outcome is like a sort of rosey honey vibe with a sultry kind of pungent floral fruitiness close to a neroli accord. Going ahead the gummy effect disappears and a nice woodsy rose starts to step up with a sort of decidedly basamic pungent whiff of floral and orangy white musk. Erotic, a bit chemical but sophisticated end chic at once. Longevity and projection are strong and powerful.

29 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2014)

Cigar by Rémy Latour

A slightly fruitier version of Aramis Havana or Cuba Red. I don't get "cigar" at all from this, perhaps something along the lines of an unsmoked Swisher Sweet with less tobacco, less cherry, more lavender. I can't give it a positive rating with a name like "Cigar," I would call the name inaccurate.

hagertygal's avatar

Safari by Ralph Lauren

I am sad I can't really find this anymore. I always liked it. To me, it smelled like DIAL soap! I know that may sound weird, but it was a very clean and airy kind of smell.

Fleurine's avatar

In Love Again by Yves Saint Laurent

I first smelled this on one of my classmates when we were students during a pediatrics rotation at a large hospital, and I will never forget it. She was coming in from the cold one winter morning, and I got a whiff of this perfectly sweet lovely fresh fruity/floral fragrance trailing from her heavy wool coat. I stopped her immediately and asked her for the name, and she told me, "It's in Love Again." So I looked it up directly and bought a bottle.
    This is a warm citrusy rich floral with lovely sillage and longevity. I would call In Love Again a sister to Kelly Caleche, and Rose Ikebana...and a cousin to Jean Claude Ellena's other fruity florals. In Love Again is sadly discontinued (again) but hopefully someday it will be relaunched (again). If you are a Jean Claude Ellena fan (like me), pick one up if you get a chance.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

A nice woody oriental with a bit of fruit and some booze, almost like our friend Zino skipped his sour topnotes and then got drunk. It has a little of the cherry aura that I get from Dunhill (2003) and a few others. Unfortunately it's weak, and my vial is tiny so I don't feel like going for broke with it. Still, I can tell that the wood is the licorecey, aged, thickly varnished sort that you get from things like Tommy Bahama; it's just not as unpleasantly resinous to me as TB. The basenotes on my fingers are a lot more vanilla-focused, which is nice, leading to a closer kinship with Zino. What's strange, though, is I could have sworn I was blown away by this stuff when I tried it before, that it was exactly how I like my spiced woods to be done, but I may just be confusing it with Nemo. I could do without the cherry and licorice, but since they recede a bit in the base, I'll begrudgingly give this a thumbs up.

Happy for Men by Clinique

This is largely an orange aquatic, Acqua di Gio meets Varvatos Artisan (?). I like it to some extent, and before I even spray, sniffing inside the cap is tantalizing; initially the scent is better than the sum of its parts. The top is a fizzy and metallic citrus, like someone took the plodding base of Azzaro Chrome and reinvigorated it. Apple also plays a role here, which later will lead to problems for me. Like Acqua di Gio, the middle holds a surprising amount of jasmine or similar florals, which add complexity to the aquatic portion even as the tiresome apple begins to ruin the fruit portion. During the mid-notes, unfortunately, the citrus, fizz, florals and aqua all start to recede, overshadowed by the synthetic fruitiness you'd find any low-end sweetened "fresh" scent. By the time the base arrives, it no longer accomplishes either the aquatic or the orange objective as well as other fragrances; it has become less than the sum of its parts. The apple has stubbornly remained almost as artificial and dull as in Greenergy, Adidas Moves, Chrome, or Eternity, with the usual fake leather note as accompaniment. Too bad.

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

A lavender-edged, flowery, spiced wood in the vein of Bois du Portugal. Intially the acrid lavender is stronger than almost any orientals I've tried besides Maharadjah, and this sits on top of ambery incensey wood. The wood is a bit strident, though, reminding me of honey or agave nectar with their insistent, high-pitched sweetness. While I appreciate how the lavender cuts this by a fair amount, it's still too sweet for me. I don't know what other florals are in here, but they're not the jasmine-type that are so clear in BdP; they almost leave an overripe fruit aura. Along with the remaining lavender, they comprise a well-played clean/dirty parity, but the combination burns my nose a bit and feels like ti should be resinous and heady enough to give me a headache. In the end, as much as I like some aspects of this, it starts to grate on me after a few hours. Not exactly my thing, but it's still high quality and carefully composed, so I understand why so many people love it.

Iguanababe221's avatar

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

So freaking sexy, sultry, and HOT! I love it...Not just for MEN!

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I must confess: I don't get it! While I love most of the Bertrand Duchafour's creations I still don't understand Timbuktu. I find it to be nondescript, way too abstract. I think about it as a smell instead of a finished perfume. It's way too complex (maybe?), and although I've been trying it several times and posticipate my final review for several months I still don't like it.

Timbuktu opens smoky and bitter with incense and berries and I've to admit it's very interesting in this phase. Then it starts to evolve into a complex spicy / fruity / vetiver / resins phase where things get real messy and way bizarre (in a bad way). It's like if Mr Duchafour wanted to gather together all the aspects that made his previously releases great with a cacophonic result.

Timbuktu definitely has the Duchafour's hallmark, it's immediately noticeable, but IMO it's way too far from his better compositions such as Avignon, Kyoto, Jubilation XXV, Sartorial, Calamus, Sequoia...

crystal_disco's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I bought this blind from the internet based on the fact that I wear A*Men and also because of the reviews I read on here! one particular review (its was actually a negative review) compelled me to buy it because the review alone was hilarious! The review was about how it smells like a Stepford wive's burnt rhubarb crumble that is due to be shown at a country fete to win the heart of the general... I laughed for a long time!
    Back to the fragrance itself. I can understand the references to the burnt rhubarb crumble-It's the first note you get, but It doesn't detract from the Vetiver accents - I'm a sucker for Vetiver. It is not in any way as nice as A*Men, because it is completely different, and I get more compliments with A*men than this, but it's a lot cheaper than A*men, so I wear it almost every day, and it is just similar enough to fulfill my cravings for the A scent, so i save my more expensive colognes for special occasions.

crystal_disco's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

I like the bottle. I am a fan of novelty bottles.

I asked for this from my girlfriend because I had smelt it in a Department Store. I gave her a list of fragrances I wanted and told her to pick me the one she liked the most (I was erring her towards BANG anyway)and she got me this. I love the pepperiness of the first burst, I have Black Pepper on EVERYTHING so it was jolly nice. I love how it mellowed into something quite enveloping and slightly sweet, and again with the vetiver-( you cannot go wrong with a bit o' vetiver) Is just remarkable. I would consider this to be quite a commercial scent, and although I am only 24, I think its is a scent for all ages, I wouldn't think twice of buying this for my dad on his 61st Birthday in July...