Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

alfarom's avatar

Cuoio by Odori

I've honestly been quite impressed by this composition. Cuoio gives its very own interpretation of leather cleverly taking the distance from monsters releases a-là Knize Ten / Cuir De Russe / Bandit. It hangs around a clear and almost soapy vibe throughout with citruses, leather and a barely-sweet tobacco with an outstandig result. Now that Helmut Lang's Cuiron has been discontinued I can't hink about a closer substitute. Amazing but be prepared for a challenging price-tag.

02nd May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd June, 2011)

nonnative's avatar

Mimosa Pour Moi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I wore it this monday.It was one of the first hot spring day of the year. I enjoyed the cool, almost icy effect of this mimosa but I thought it would be unbeareable in winter. Just a hot weather scent. Anyway it isn't similar to the real mimosa - that stinks. Only later I realized mimosa pour moi doesn't evolve as many l'artisan creations. I don't know if in this case is a positive or negative fact.

I tried it again in winter. I have to admit I like it better in winter! Still bitter and cold in a nice and stylish way.

02nd May, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st December, 2011)

Dr.Hohum's avatar

Excalibur by Avon

Woody is what I get out of it. Strongly woody.

Dr.Hohum's avatar

Wild Woods for Men by Coty

Reminds me of sweetened pipe tobacco, which I love.

chet31's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

A strong citrusy opening gives way quickly to rose, and more rose. The rose is pleasant, but not overly interesting, and just not for me.

scratchnsniff24's avatar

England England

Addiction Fever by Conquest Personal Care

I know this is a deodorant not aftershave/perfume, however, it's not often you come across such a thing that has a description quite as follows:
    "A fresh energising top note of green Bergamont and green tea enhanced with mandarin peel which is balanced with rich Vetivert and cedar supported by the warmth and comfort of the base of precious skin musk."
    That alone sets it apart from Lynx/Axe and such.

Reminds me of a more pleasant and very very very toned down powdery aftershave a friend of mine bought from a 'pound store' years back. It's not a bad smell, though that was, it doesn't even stick around for you to notice it after the initial spraying's over, shy of sticking your face in your armpit.
    It's powdery, it's floral, it smells like our old Peugeot 405.. It's cheap, and it doesn't scream "I'M A HORMONAL, SEXUALLY FRUSTRATED YOUNG TEEN, WITH RAGING HORMONES AND THE SEXUAL APPETITE OF A DEPRIVED JACK RABBIT".

Bottom line - At the end of the day you don't smell of deodorant, but you don't smell of sweat either. Which surely, is the point of such a product. Albeit probably not one described as it is. I like it, it does what i want it to, it stops me from smelling bad and lets my aftershave do the talking!

chet31's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

A nice light daytime or summer fragrance. By itself, smells nice, if not overly unique. However, when I do comparison tests with other similar department store brands, I usually prefer the D'Issey. A nice fragrance to have around when you want to smell nice, but not be overly noticeable.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Miracle by Lancôme

A cold, prim, older woman that wears the pink and girlish affectations of her youth like an unsettling time capsule on legs. Not bad, but a little scary. Guess by Marciano for Men in a poodle skirt. Professor Umbridge from the Harry Potter series wears this.

thecaptain's avatar

Yardley Original by Yardley

When I was younger I had the opportunity to perform with Duke Ellington. My dad (my hero) was so excited to meet him. I'd never seen him so animated. When I met Duke, he was busy, moving around, had no time to talk to a 10 year old, but I distinctly remember his hair (slicked/pomaded) and a huge bottle of Yardley Black Label on his dressing room table. I remember the smell from that week. My dad bought a bottle and had it for years. I think I used the last of it sometime in 1976.

It needs to be brought back. It's a fragrance that evokes not only an era, but the giants that occupied it.

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

I tried this in a department store a few weeks ago. This scent leaves you wanting more. It is interesting and smells a bit dense/oily and then woody, fig fruit/floral. Not heavy as in the sense of overpowering but the fragrance of I am here. I like it and plan to purchase it soon. This went nice with my body chemistry as some perfumes don't blend right with my natural scent. It's interesting, smart and beautiful; exactly the qualities I want to be.

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

I love this fragrance. It smells sooo good. I sprayed it on my knit sweater wrist area. The next day I wore that same sweater to smell it again. This is an instant smell fantastic, pick-me-up scent. It did well with my body chemistry. I love this perfume!

Chance by Chanel

Great fragrance, plan to buy a bottle. Blended well with my body chemistry.

Poppy by Coach

I think this smells great, especially for the spring and summer!!! Plan to buy a bottle!

dark phoenix 123's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Patou For Ever by Jean Patou

I think the relatively unimpressive packaging (partcularly the light blue box for the edt version) has done grave unjustice to this rather magnificent scent which has really grown on me. It is easy to dismiss it at first sniff as yet another floral perfume. But i like the slight saltiness which smells extremely sensual to me... :)

colormechris's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

For a while there it seemed like every man in America had a bottle of Grey Flannel. Maybe it was that little bag it came in that made it seem so special, like Crown Royal. And when you think about it, Grey Flannel smells very much like a high end whiskey or scotch. 150 proof yet. But if it Grey Flannel is anything, it's sobering. It's almost like a throwback to the Victorian era and its smelling salts and tonics...there is something very medicinal and harsh about Grey Flannel. It was often advertised with images of sharply cut, bespoke suits and this was very appropriate I think. I think GF should only be worn if wearing one of those very British suits or in wintertime under layers of wool and leather. I find it really only lends itself to these two extremes. It is one of the least versatile fragrances I've ever smelled. But what it does do--and I suppose that is to give the wearer a certain gravitas--it does perfectly. But please, never under any circumstances in summer! And go with a light hand. Grey Flannel takes on a life of its own once out of the bottle.

alfarom's avatar

Bay Rum by Geo F Trumper

Well, is this made out of clove? You can sewar it! The opening left me perplexed for a few seconds as it smelled unpleasantly familiar but couldn't exactly detect what it was about. Then a big clove started to materialize in front of me. Huge, brown and running towards me at 200mph speed. Scary...Clove is all I get, sorry! I quite like clove, but this interpreation is definitely crude and very (very) linear. I had no guts to try it on my skin.

tishtasha's avatar

I Want Candy No. 04 by Tokyo Milk

I am lucky enough to own this due to having a friend staying in America, I heard good things about one of the Tokyo Milk range perfumes and was attracted to this particular one's packaging and the fact it had sweet violet undertones.

Packaging: The bottle is not a particularly exciting shape, with its small body and squared corners but the attention to detail on the design is what makes it attractive. On one side of the bottle is a contemporary typographic label, listing the number of the perfume, it's name and the main basenotes, its very to the point yet it has a very spohisticated air about it. Turn the bottle round and the back of the label depicts an illustration of a salt water taffy sweet in a vintage 50's style (Each edition of the perfume has it's own illustration all of which can be described as rather charming) An aluminium top that slides off with a satisfying 'pop' rounds it all off.

Scent: At first spray, the citrus and apple notes pack in a strong punch, this soon wears off to reveal the violet, rose and peach undertones, a smell which lingers on the skin for at least 12 hours. A smell which feels best worn during the daytime and has more than a definite air of springtime about it. It is noticeable by others but not too pungent or overpowering. It is flirtatious yet subtle with fun notes sprinkled in.

Cons: Just the one, the first apple notes can be overpowering but this soon fades to a delicious scent.

Conclusion: A unique petite perfume with a long lasting effect, good enough to eat.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

I needed a light fresh and unoffensive scent for an occasion and on a whim decided to give this one a try. I wore it for a week and grew to love it. It is uplifting, uncomplicated but remains elegant and fun, sometimes that is exactly what you want.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Musc Maori 04 by Parfumerie Generale

Opening with a Christopher Brosius-like conjuring trick, Musc Maori smells for its first 15 minutes like a box of dark chocolates, accompanied by a hint of its plastic tray and occasional foil wrapping. Thereafter it relies on a combination of tonka, vanilla, and the remnants of that cocoa note.

On the spectrum of chocolate themed fragrances – ranging from the deplorable 100% Love to the delectable Borneo 1834 – Musc Maori sits a little behind the halfway point, on the queasy end of the scale. This is the skilful execution of a silly concept, for Musc Maori is both too simple and too sweet.

shamu1's avatar

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

Great big fat leather scent that carries on the tradition of 80s powerhouse style macho frags. I've never smelled the original version of this scent, so my review is for the current formulation.

This is a pure black leather scent - any other notes in this merely enhance the strong leathery aura of it. It starts off smelling like petroleum fuel and crushed green plant stems, letting you know that you have a serious leather and moss powerbomb on your hands. The harshness of the opening fades to a smooth but powerful warm leather and moss scent. Very 80's and very hairy chested.

Trussardi cranks out major sillage, but it's not a heady, obnoxious smell. It's warm and smooth, and projects far. This is one powerhouse I like to spray on liberally. It loses its impact if you apply it carefully, and this is a fragrance meant to make an impact, just like its soul brothers Lapidus Pour Homme and Kouros.

If you like your scents leathery, strong and super masculine, you can't go wrong with Trussardi Uomo.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

Grottola's avatar

Azure Lime by Tom Ford

Oh, c'mon guys! Azure Lime is not THAT bad!

On my skin, Azure Lime is a wonderful, pleasant lime that holds out for 2+ hours. It's not too tart, and not too sweet - just well-rounded. While it does go into an "aquatic" phase, there isn't any calone abuse at all. It's nice and fresh with some driftwood to compliment the whole "beach" theme. Overall, I get 7 to 8 hours out of Azure Lime, which isn't bad at all.

One of the best lime scents in my opinion; of course, the only downfall is the obnoxious price.

nukah11's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Eau Duelle by Diptyque

I definitely get the duality in Eau Duelle. However, I expected the scent to be balancing dark/intense vs. bright/open. Instead, Eau Duelle turns out two be two different types of gourmand on me. There's the vanillic cookie-dough on the one hand, not too sweet, but soft and very comforting. On the other hand there's a more savoury character, which I initially found hard to identify. First I though: roasted nuts. And then it hit me: it smells like roux! Roux is the french butter-and-flour base of many classic sauces. You melt butter, add flour, mix this and bake it a bit before you add a liquid. The stage where you 'bake' the roux-mixture is what I was reminded of.

IMO a classic top-to-bottom construction is hard to discern in Eau Duelle, but the play between the two sides makes this fragrance far from linear. The beautiful thing is, it's not like a hesitation. It's not as if the perfume cannot decide what it wants to be. It's not schizophrenic. Instead, it's a very confident display of two different personalities.

iodine's avatar

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

There’s a time of the year when I feel the need to smell this fragrance: when jasmin shrubs are starting to bloom, lindens are full of promising blossoms, the air is fizzy with scents and pollens, La Chasse aux papillons is the perfect scent, in my imagination, so I reach for my sample and dab a drop.
    The opening is gorgeous, a flare of flowers - orange blossoms, jasmin, tuberose- offering their most daytime and sunny facets, glowing white and fresh and rich (an expert perfume blogger explains that this is another effect of indoles). Linden blossoms give a pleasantly soft and plastic support to the floral bouquet . As time passes, the fragrance sets mostly on tuberose on my skin, but the pleasure is disturbed by the reinforcement of the waxy and soapy notes of linden blossoms which, in the drydown make the fragrance veer towards a “laundry” feel, half used clothes, half soap… A petulant note emerges, as if the insouciant and free creature that tried to catch butterflies among white flowers has turned into someone complaining about being locked in the laundryroom!
    Globally, I like it, as my recurrent use suggests, but there’s something a bit sad and despairing in the drydown- which lasts quite a while on my skin, contrary to others reviewers, so I wouldn’t give it more than neutral.

subhuman85's avatar

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Mercurial, shimmering, Gareth Pugh-esque (ie. on the razor's edge of wearability) composition from that mistress of the weird and wonderful, Annick Menardo. Explodes off the skin with a mix of lapsang souchong tea (read: campfire), cedar, patchouli (it's there, look harder), gasoline, and a bone-dry vanilla that somehow blends perfectly with the smoky salvo. Much like Menardo's Black for Bulgari, 24 is a bipolar shape-shifter, seeming sweet and sultry one minute, coarse and carcinogenic the next. Unlike the easygoing Black, though, 24 can be fickle: The drydown occasionally calls to mind a glass of flat, watered-down root beer into which someone's extinguished a cigarette. But when it works, Patchouli 24 is nothing short of relevatory, a delicously dark confection with a rich presence and phenomenal staying power. Not for all tastes, but a masterwork regardless.

Ralph's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

That this sits beside Jicky and Mitsouko is astonishing. I don't know if this has suffered from a reformulation or if tastes themselves have reformulated what's acceptable for the 'modern' palate - but, either way, this is just too much. Too much sweet marzipan and aniseed; too much lurid, migraine-making, *blue* somehow; too much Parma Violet; too much like a plug-in room 'frangrancer'.

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Balahé by Léonard

Tonights great discovery! Amouage copied 80% of "Balahe" when making "The Library Collection Opus III" !! "Opus III" is an almost exact (but sweeter/more" rounded") copy of "Balahe" edt (by LEONARD), which is discontinued. But "Balahe" can still be found for a good price on the internet !! AND best of all = you can get "Balahe" for a *MUCH* better price. And the black Balahe-bottle, with a silk red string is such a beautiful piece of art itself!! Oh, good I saved me some money by already owning this scent in Balahe! :)

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Opus III by Amouage

sarıpatates's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

To add to the confusion, I'll say that barbier des isles smells like a more cheerful yatagan to me. I don't think it's sweet at all. It's airy, dry and invigorating. I find no oud here, and my impression of this is very similar to Ody's.

It's a good scent, and I approve. Get while you can, I think it's discontinued.

03rd May, 2011 (Last Edited: 23rd May, 2011)

jbthorpe's avatar

Winter Star by Michael Storer

Great fragrance that is a bit spicy, somewhat minty, creamy, "caramelly", and extremely sexy with its musks and civittone note. It is somewhat linear but is a smooth, sensual fragrance that lasts quite a long time. It is definitely unisex and WILL draw compliments from complete strangers. I'll state it again, this is a very sexy fragrance. Best for romantic wear, but can easily be worn in the office if applied lightly. My favorite scent and my new signature fragrance. Michael is an absolute genius!!!!!

03rd May, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th May, 2011)

silentrich's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

I'm probably in the minority, but to me this is a very overrated fragrance. There's a subtle coffee note, but the overall smell through the drydown is that of maple syrup. I've worn this several times and every response was "smells like maple syrup." Also I don't find this any less synthetic than Rochas Man which was the biggest surprise and I find Rochas Man much more versatile and wearable. Very disappointed because I really did want to like this.

03rd May, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2011)