Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

colormechris's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

You know, I really want to LOOOOVE this one but I don't. I like it. I like it a lot. But there's something off about it. It needs to be fresher, brisker, crisper, a little juicier. I think it wants to be. I think it needs more lemon. It gets too musky by the end. It tries to do the same thing as YSL pour homme but just can't pull it off. I'm always disappointed by it I guess is what I'm trying to say. Maybe I should stop trying to make it work in the summer and only use it on the coldest winter nights. That could be interesting.
    I should add that, of course, the YSL came a couple of centuries after the 4711. And the more I think about, the more I realize how similar they are. However, the YSL took the template and improved it. Turned it into a masterpiece. I've never seen any of the other scents from this line anywhere in my travels. Just the original...which you can get in like a gallon bottle. A really inexpensive gallon at that...so if you like 4711 you can really bathe in it if you want! I just don't want to.

03 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2011)

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

SDpH is a great DD (dirty / dark) fragrance but to me it sounds like a good remix version of Kouros. Am I missing something?

That being said, it still smells terrific.

03 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 January, 2012)

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Smelling Lui made me think about how much we can be silly when we try obstinately to cathegorize perfumes. Niche, Designers, Mass Market, Up-Market etc. etc.. IMO, sometimes (sometimes), we should simply stop making many differencies and divide perfumes into good ones and bad ones. No matter who released or created them. Lui is surely a good one. A very good one.

The bitter-sweet character of this awesome composition left me stunned, amazed and completely fascinated. A perfect blend of aromatic patchouli, vanilla, lemon and neroli joined by a subtle floral accord and laying on a solid cedarwood base. A bold composition perfectly crafted and balanced to never cross the border of vulgarity. Great lasting power. Lui stands at the top of my "favourites" from this house.

When I smell something like "Rochas Lui" I understand why I love fragrance.

03 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2012)

Oproust's avatar

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

In general, I am not a fan of lavender fragrances. However, with Gris Clair I throw my previous aversions aside. The lavender/smoky/amber core of this fragrance is stunning. The amber and smoky accord tame the lavender enough to make this a pleasure to wear. It far surpasses Caron pour un Homme which my nose rejects immediately and my brain does likewise. When I first wore Gris Clair, I wasn't overwhelmed, in fact, I wasn't all that impressed. I set it aside for three years, even tried to sell the bottle. I'm sure glad I didn't. This is a masculine, elegant, sophisticated fragrance. My nose has changed over time and after years of sniffing, I can now appreciate fragrances I quickly gave up on in the past. You've got to give this one a try (or two). Gris Clair is quickly moving up my list of favorites. I suspect it will stay there awhile.

Redbeard's avatar

S.T. Dupont Homme by S.T. Dupont

This opens with light but acrid herbal grasses, and it takes a while for the alcohol to dissipate. It starts to get a bit greener and sharper with maybe a little patchouli, and doesn't have the slightest amount of sweetness at all. While it doesn't actually smell like cigarette smoke, it accomplishes the same effect with dirty florals and tobacco leaves. For practical purposes, it's way too likely to come across as sweaty; the musty herbal barrage is unrelenting, and fetid wood develops later on to join it. I honestly wonder if my sample vial had gone bad.

Redbeard's avatar

Dunhill by Dunhill

Geir Lite (featuring Splenda)? Initially a light cherry soap with just a bit of that same fizzy sparkle. A little anise and cinnamon gives a slight pep, but the underlying wood is a lot sweeter than most of its competitors. The cherry component also gets more and more pronounced as it proceeds. Soon there's really nothing else left except perhaps for some talcum powder, and the sparkle is gone. Even the spices quietly acquiesce to the cherry, in spite of it not being overly strong. If you don't dislike cherry as much as I do, you probably won't find it objectionable, but potentially very dull.

apayne182's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Definitely not a bad fragrance. I get an apple vibe which feels more like a bubblegum. Not much else to say, nice. Good everyday summer scent that I will wear. Yeah, projection and longevity are ho-hum but i usually put one spray on my shirt. Nice smell, bubblegum/fruit vibe, with a little sweetness in the dry-down with slight pick up of the spice. Because I do enjoy it, it gets a thumbs up

Lovescully's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

This is way more than just an intense version of the original Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Although it retains a hint of the ‘barbershop’ characteristic that the original is famous for, to my nose this is much darker and less fresh.

Where the original strongly reminds me of ‘old school’ shaving crème, this intense version has added a certain heavier mysterious spiciness that takes it off in another direction. I suppose I would say that where the original is perfect for day or nighttime use, this version should be reserved for night only.

If I'm totally honest with myself, I actually think I prefer the original Rive Gauche composition over this 'intense' version. The original always had a fresh uplifting quality that I don’t really detect here. However, there’s no denying that this is a high quality fragrance.

This one gets both thumbs up from me, but don’t just buy it blind (like I did) if you are simply looking for a stronger version of the original. This is a unique and totally original winner from Yves Saint Laurent!

Lovescully's avatar

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy is truly a stunning creation!

Regrettably, I’ve never had the opportunity here in Australia to sample the original formulation of Monsieur de Givenchy, so I’m unable to compare between the two. However, if this modern interpretation is anything to go by, then the original must surely have been one of the greatest ever male perfumes.

Comparisons could easily be made with Dior’s Eau Sauvage and YSL’s Pour Homme, but as the original Monsieur de Givenchy was created at least 5 years before Eau Sauvage and over a decade before YSL’s Pour Homme, I’d say that Givenchy was clearly leading the way in gentlemen’s scents in 1959. Chanel’s Pour Monsieur from 1955 is similar in construction, but where that has a herb/spice middle, Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy sticks to subtle florals.

Although this is heavily leaning towards citric, even serial citrus haters could find something to love here. The florals do their job really well. They subdue and refine the citrus just enough to take away that ‘sharp’ edge found in other citrus based scents like Dior’s Eau Sauvage. It finishes off with a very gentle woody base that matches perfectly with the top and middle notes.

It’s a very distinguished fragrance without being sharp. Overall this comes across as classic and elegant. Les Parfums Mythiques - Monsieur de Givenchy is a true gentlemen’s fragrance.

jtd's avatar

Vie de Chateau by Nicolaï

(Vie de Chateau Intense.)

Vie de Chateau tucks neatly into the citrus chypre genre, with connections to Diorella, Eau Sauvage (compare the very first sniff of each side by side!), Moustache and its own sibling Weekend a Deauville. It has that fresh sophistication that citrus chypres tend to have.

VdC’s smart twist, though, is that it has a strong note of hay that ties it directly to the fougère and indirectly to leather chypres. The hay note is a bit nut-like at first, but eventually pulls VdC toward a dry dark, base that is the perfect conclusion to the crisp yet disenchanted spirit of the best citrus chypres.

yoyo's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

ripoff of chrome, which smells terrible already

man114's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I never minded Grey Flannel, so I went and bought a bottle yesterday as I've not had it in a while and am ever so reluctant to use stashes of bottles of things I have dating to the 80s or earlier. So why am I going to give it a neutral? Read on.

Upon initial application its everything it was. Smells exactly the same as it did in my old bottle dating to the 1980s. I was actually quite excited about this. I was expecting some threadbare replicant of the original like Polo has become. Thankfully they didn't take this route. Still beautifully floral and full of its oakmoss character like Halston Z-14 was before they shot that one down. But everything comes with an expense. Longevity is still quite good but what they have done is cheapen the ingredients. If indeed the drydown is sandalwood as the pyramid claims it certainly doesn't smell much like it but instead some sort of rather generic something I'd call it generic woody note. You can't go say it has always been this way. Double blind it with the original and when you're to the drydown the original smells decidedly more expensive. Now I'm not going to complain too much this is $15 or less for a 4oz bottle on sale and still smells way more expensive than that. Plus the magic of this one, for me is in the opening not the drydown. Still it would be nice to have the complete package, and if perhaps I submit enough neutral reviews of once great products someone will see they can't continue to cheapen the fragrances to the point where they are unrecognizeable shadows of themselves. Don't get me wrong Grey Flannel smells fine, for now, and I still like it, but cheapening just a bit in the drydown is the first step towards something no one wants to wear. Thankfully its still chock full of oakmoss, a note I'm very sensitive to, because if they removed that I'd be unable to wear it like the current versions of Polo and Halston.

My advice, remember what it was, buy it now as it is while you can. Its still very very similar to how it used to be, but it is only a matter of time before they go to work on this one again and it becomes something not even close to its original formula.

Jody's avatar

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I absolutely adore this fragrance. I think at first I was just in love with SL because it's a pretty cool line. BUT, I am starting to really appreciate the incredible "nose". 5 o'clock is my very fave at the moment. I am dragging my feet on getting a full bottle because...well, I actually don't know why.

I used up the last of my sample and, because I can not ever pick out notes in a fragrance unless they are uber obvious ( vanilla, frankincense ) I still cannot tell what is in there unless I read the actual description.

My previous favorite was Feminite Du Bois, but after finishing up that sample it really does seem a LOT different from the original version which I gave away like the worlds biggest idiot, about 18 years ago!!!! ( GIANT L on the forehead!!!!)

Does anyone know of any other "natural " niche fragrances that are oddly scented ( no vanilla's and no florals please )...thanks all. 8-)

msleslie's avatar

Wood Violet by Sonoma Scent Studio

Wood Violet was sent to me in a Violet Sampler. All of the rest were sweet and sweeter, and that lovely sweetness was just what my novice nose desired. So I put this one aside and used all the others.

I have just found and sampled this one again, now that I am very weary of all the sweet and sweeter violets, and find it very beguiling. Dry, woodsy, sophisticated, and yummy. Now weren't they clever to include this in my Violet Sampler? It is just what my jaded nose needed!

Pour le Jeune Homme by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I've to admit that MPeG is rapidly becoming one of my favourite brand. Said that I think Pour Le Jeune Homme is one of their most conventional and less original composition. Absolutely well crafted, with top quality ingredients but maybe a bit too generic. Orange spicy with a slight eau de cologne vibe. Nice but not outstanding. Moderate lasting power.

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

It's not something one should wear everyday as it is quite powerful but it's definitely not ordinary. Unisex certainly. It took me a while to grasp what it reminded me of. I think it's coconut macaroons straight out of the oven. A little goes a long way so it's a great investment if you can get your hands on a small bottle.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

My spring pick me up! When feeling down or tired, I spray some on and I'm back in the garden in May. Cannot fault it.

Eau Fraîche by Christian Dior

Like Eau Sauvage so suits me prefectly fine. I always loved my Dad wearing Eau Sauvage. I think it's a nostalgic thing for me. I really love it.

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

For me it's easier to wear than Jardins de Bagatelle but don't get me wrong, I love both. Utterly French stuff: strong and yet delicate.

fragranceman88's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

I tested this today...It was very nice but it smells exactly (to my nose) like some thing ive already smelled.

MsMaryO's avatar

Air de Cabochard by Grès

A light leather chypre with a beautiful floral heart and slightly soapy dry down. Perfect for those times that a heavy leather is too much, like in the heat of summer when, if someone gets a good whiff of full-on Cabochard, they might ask, "Where's the horse and saddle I keep smelling?". Air de Cabochard is mild-mannered and sophisticated, and the soapiness in the dry down is clean and refreshing. I'm going to be wearing this all summer and my friends will ask, "Where's the classy lady who just shampooed her horse?"

man114's avatar

Catalyst for Men by Halston

Odd. The Clove overpowers most of the top notes when you first apply it citrus lasts for 30 seconds then its cloves and sage. This strikes me as having a strange discord amongst the notes up front. Then it turns into musky woody cloves with a dash of nutmeg that reminds me of some sort of cheap bay rum aftershave but much more concentrated, doesn't let up and is on the sweeter side, like spiced cookies. Only reason I give it a neutral as opposed to a thumbs down as it is at least an attempt at something somewhat different, just not in a good way.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Royals Heroes 1805 by Washington Tremlett

What a disaster. The fruity and anisic aspects combined with the honeyed sweetness add up to smelling like a public toilet superficially deodorized with urinal tabs. Amazing this synthetic mess would come from the people who brought us the sublime Black Tie.

Vanille by Molinard

To properly appreciate this composition by Molinard you don't have to simply like vanilla, you should instead absolutely love it. If you're aware of this fact , what you'll get from Vanille is a perfect straight-forward almost mono-note fragrance of absolute perfection. Personally, I've to pass on.

THEHAITIANMAN's avatar

Haiti Haiti

Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma

THIS IS A GREAT SMELL I LOVE IT.....SHORT BUT IT WORK FOR ME SPECIALLY AT NIGHT WHEN IT'S A LITTLE COLD...

JackTwist's avatar

Eaux De Vetiver De La Reunion by L'Erbolario

This is quite a harsh cyphre cologne with no detectable Vetiver to my nose. It was so vile, so repellent (I loathe cyphres, can you guess), that I returned the bottle. I usually sample this line by trying the inexpensive soaps, but none was available for this vetiver, thus requiring me to purchase a bottle. Never again.

By the way it is the identical scent to their Myrtle Cologne, which I also bought and returned because I depended on their Mytle soap scent being identical to their cologne scent - not so. The Mytle soap has a lovely "fern" scent, reminiscent of the Magno line - the cologne has nothing to do with it - a rip off in misprepresentation.

Perhaps they just create one scent and give it different names and packagings. Very disappointing.

robyogi's avatar

Chemical Bonding by Ineke

This one is a little deceptive at first. The initial notes present an incredible citrus melange: at times, I smell orange; at times, lemon; at times, grapefruit. This is quickly joined by a tea note. But then, just as you think you've got another typical modern citrus fragrance on your hands (or arms, or torso) it's like Ineke said "let there be peony." And there was. And it was good. If you like peony, you'll love this stage. As the scent wears on, the musky, powdery, clean base shows up and merges with the peony for a while until the peony runs its course and you're left with the powdery, clean, musk and woods. It's very nice, it's clean and fresh in a non-generic way, and it's unisex, but probably on the feminine end of the unisex spectrum. Lasting power is very good on me, as with all Inekes I've tried.

Berg's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Icy opening - invigorating spirit
    Warm finishing - luxury impression

Surprisingly, BLV is a good harmony. When you think at the beginning : wow its cool and fresh.. but hey this is boring if this goes on forever.. nah its just like the other light and linear smelling fragrances = you're wrong

At the opening, you'll got the fresh, cool out of the shower feeling IN a masculine way

A moment later, it turned into a luxurious, confident warm aura around the user. Combination notes of Tobacco, gingko, wood, and the musk are incredible. Its warm and mind-relaxing

And of course, I'm getting a lot of compliment and happy faces wherever I go wearing BLV Pour Homme. I love it =)

odysseusm's avatar

Monsieur Eau du Matin by Jean Paul Gaultier

I endorse this for the following reasons. It is a pleasant, natural-smelling green scent. It is not expensive. It has accompanying skin care products for effortless layering.
    Admittedly, it is low-key. "Discreet" is how the advertising describes it. It sits very close to the skin and doesn't last long.
    It is a bit like Mugler Cologne but greener, leafier and lacks the vetiver note.
    Notes: bergamot, petitgrain, cedar, gaiac wood.

robyogi's avatar

Field Notes from Paris by Ineke

Well, first off, this is definitely unisex, probably even leaning to the masculine side. Ineke says on her website that she does not ascribe to the notion of gender designations for perfumes - wear what you like is her motto. So, I'm not sure where the gender designation given above came from.

On to the fragrance...with the list of notes given you might expect this to be a little heavy, something that would be a fall/winter scent. But, as with all the Ineke perfumes I've tried there's a sort of light-but-substantial quality to Field Notes. Unlike Derring-Do, I have a tough time picking apart notes in Field Notes. It comes across as one big scent signature. Bergamot and coriander are sense-able in the topnotes. Patchouli, a dry but not bitter patchouli is present throughout, somewhat similar to the patchouli in Lutens' Borneo. The tobacco, vanilla, and beeswax seem to work together to add a natural sweetness, not too sweet, definitely not sugary or syrupy. Again, light-but-substantial sums up the sweetness, and again, I'm struggling to find the individual notes and am guessing at which ones provide the subtle sweetness. The fragrance ends in a typical fading-away dry down where it gets maybe a bit more ambery...a dusty amber, not a heavy, syrupy amber.

This is a very nice, modern, well-constructed oriental for men who find most oriental perfumes too sweet or too overbearing.