Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

jujy54's avatar

Nueva Maja by Myrurgia

Carnationy, white floral with a little spice, perfect for a summer night.

08 May, 2011

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I managed to score a vintage 30ml bottle of Eau Sauvage with the same box as pictured above the Basenotes description.

Nothing too exciting or unique - just a quality, classic buttery-smooth citrus with a touch of herbs to give it a "natural" feel. Eau Sauvage is a fragrance for genuine men with genuine personalities that can see through all the bullsh*t. The kind of guy you can count on.

What's nice about the vintage Eau Sauvage, besides the noticable oakmoss in the base, is the fact that it lasts all day. The vintage version is a little mustier and dirtier than the current version, but I love it just the same; Edmond Roudnitska took the classic Eau and gave it a jawline with stubble. Hell, even John Lennon wore Eau Sauvage.

Really, any formulation of Eau Sauvage is good, but I think it's the vintage that has that little extra "something".

08 May, 2011

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

Womanity works very well on my skin, and I wear it quite a lot, as it is different from my other scents. I never could wear Angel, and I always found Alien a little bit too sticky, but Womanity is actually wearable! Got the bodylotion as well, and it is very nice, too! I find the saltines in the begining really fun! Good quality all the way!

Working well both winter and summer! I hope this one will become a classic! Thumbs up from me!

08 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 September, 2011)

AmateurFragMan's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

All I ever read on Basenotes is how much of a rip off of GIT this is. As a long-time fan of Cool Water who's never smelled GIT before, I'll just have to take people's word for it. Whatever it is, it suits me fine. It's a strong, fresh blast of green spring/summertime fun. It may not be natural, but then again neither is cotton candy. It's still fun and enjoyable. And long-lasting, much more so than your average designer frag.

shamu1's avatar

Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Just like its younger brother One Man Show, Bogart is the antithesis of everything that is trendy and niche in the fragrance industry. Bogart is definitely not "cool" or "da bomb", and I doubt its style has ever been.

The second you sniff Bogart, you can tell that it was never meant for guys trying to be hip. This is a very leathery aromatic fougere, with sharp, herbal green top notes that smell like a classic French cologne right out of the Sixties. A musty smelling leather note appears in the heart, and it becomes very strong in the drydown, at which point Bogart becomes heavy and very aromatic. It's an amazingly long lasting scent, and it projects well for a long time.

You'll never find anything smelling like this at Macy's or at LuckyScent, but if you're into hardcore old-school masculine colognes, there is no way you will dislike Bogart. This is for men who are serious about their colognes, and who want to smell like men.

MY RATING: 8/10

manicboy's avatar

Encre Noire by Lalique

Lalique sure took a gamble on this one. Their men's fragrances never really caught on and seemed to favor the bottle art over the juice inside. Shockingly, the bottle for EN is a minimalist and nondescript box of dark glass. Interestingly, the juice inside is a dark and smoky take on vetiver. The sharp and bitter tones of vetiver have been whittled down and the smoky/woody tones amplified. In 2006, this was a triumph when most vetivers were either clean or nutty or both. My only complaint is EN burns bright for 2 hours and then is gone in a a puff of smoke. Is it really on Eau de Cologne?

That said, the importance of EN can not be discounted and ushered vetiver into the modern age. It may be the finest vetiver frag on the market. Surely, EN is the final nail in Guerlain's "chemical-mess" Vetiver coffin.

Jaïpur pour Homme Fraîcheur by Boucheron

I purchased this at a discount retailer out of sheer curiosity. I was not disappointed and was pleasantly surprised. This version is not as powdery as the original Jaipur and it has a wood/cedar base. It lasts all day when I wear it at work, and lasts well into the next day. It smells expensive and non-synthetic. Floral, a bit of spice and a strong wood base. The middle and top notes distinguish this fragrance from the many woodsy offerings out there. And I enjoy the fact that there is a low chance anyone else will be wearing it when I do. This is a great office and formal scent for the 30+ crowd. I can't see kids wearing this at the nightclubs. Thanks, Boucheron.

frankincense's avatar

Amarige by Givenchy

I haven't had a luscious evening perfume in quite a while and had been sticking to my citrusy and/or green favorites. Then I had an evening event coming up so I bought a dress and EDT Amarige---blind! Amazingly, it is perfect for me; a woman over 40 with 1950's curves and curls. I love it so much I could swim in it. It is exactly who I want to be on an evening out: sophisticated, sensual, deep and knowing. Very French, in the end. I completely agree with Weimar27's interpretation.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

It took three master perfumeurs to create 1 Million. Not just one, but three. And the result? An annoying and overly sweet bubblegum. Fine, but they should have named it 1 Cent

Red Theodora's avatar

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

I like to go back from time to time and revisit the perfumes of my youth. I haven't smelled Ombre Rose for years, so I tried some to see what it's like currently. Now, there are scents I call "top note" perfumes. These are fragrances that have a top note so clear it immediately grabs you. Then there are "dry down" scents, the top notes may not do much for you but the dry down can be wonderful. Ombre Rose is a "dry down" perfume. When I first spray it on I find the top very unimpressive, but as it dries down the rose peaks out and the honey. The last stage with the vanilla and sandalwood is my favorite.
    This is not a brazen, standout rose perfume. It's a soft, gentle, caressing scent. I like it that way.

Iguanababe221's avatar

Saks Boca by Bond No. 9

If you like Andy Warhol Lexington Ave, this is like that but super lovely. It is just such a euphoric scent and I really wish to get my hands on a bottle of this before it goes away. I am referring to the BOCA II because I know there are actually 2 Boca scents. I haven't smelled Boca I but Boca II is just an outstanding scent and I highly recommend it.

Boratio's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Not sure how it took me so long to finally get a whiff of this, but suffice to say that this is underwhleming, giving the ubiquity and popularity of this fragrance.
    Yes, it's pleasant, light and fresh, but at the same time it is bland, unadventurous and I find, linear.
    I think this is kindof like the 'hot top40'...inoffensive and catchy, but there really is nothing compelling about it's pedigree or quality.
    A better option IMO is chrome legend, which is more fruity and salty, and has better staying power.
    I simply can't give this more than a 'meh'.

renzo's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Burberry Sport Ice for Men by Burberry

Bought it last week, as I m for the moment totaly in the Burberry mood :-) Very fresh, kind of Perry Ellis Red, but better IMO...

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Think fruit, earth, water & minerals. It's hard to put this scent into a category as it is so unique. It can have many sides to it. In really hot weather, there are elements of grapefruit and pepper that stand out; whereas in wet or cooler weather, it gives a fresh water-like scent reminiscent of the 'first rainfall'. My girl loves it beyond belief and I have no hesitation in branding this my 'signature scent'. For me, it's No 1.

I've always had a bottle or two of the EdT since Summer 2006, when I first picked this up. I remember that first whiff right to this day. It was pure heaven! Since then, I have also got hold of the EdP, which as others have said is more earth/woody and less citrus.

My rule now is EdP in the colder months (autumn / winter) and EdT in warmer weather (spring / summer).

voidvader's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche is beautiful. Don´t believe in those recurrent quotes telling about barbershop... It´s the patchouli with good amounts, but with a smooky dark tone, maybe from vetiver. I only igree with the descriptions that compares it´s smell with some sunscreen. Rive gauche is manly, is dark, is smoky and have a big brother called M7. Rive Gauche has great longevity and thats good... few people use it: that´s very very good. Concluding, by now, only these two YSL scents strikes me... the others, i don´t care.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Only The Brave by Diesel

I have to agree with MassMenace review below. Scent itself is very projective, quite excellent longevity. Nothing stunning, nothing new, nothing ˝brave˝ about it. If you ask me, if ˝only the brave˝ was anything similar to original Fahrenheit by Dior then the name would be justified. This is a sweet, spicy scent for the masses, but I have to admit that I find it highly appealing and would have no problem owning this. I'll rate it thumb up only because I find the scent very nice and it's possible that mayhaps I might even own it in the future.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

This scent was surely designed for seduction. I'm pretty positive about it. It is very elegant, smooth, woody, spicy, masculine, serious, slightly powdery. Sillage and longevity are great, one should be careful when applying. This scent is a whole year rounder, although I presume it would develop best during cold weather, summer evenings - not bad, but only one spritz. I can see some connections with Terre d'Hermes, but also it has a certain similar vibe with Givenchy Very Irresistible For Men. Ferragamo is a house rarely mentioned, it remains so but without apparent reason as their scents are in general of good quality and highly appealing.

headspace's avatar

Sweden Sweden

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

Margiela executes branding sharply – no doubt about that. They have managed to package this fragrance in a decent box and bottle that harmonizes excellent with the Margiela brand. A nice collector’s item for anyone interested in the Maison Martin Margiela brand, or just branding and trademarks in general.

The fragrance itself is rather indifferent though: a touch of galbanum with some slightly annoying sweetness in the base.

Jardin de Kerylos 16 by Parfumerie Generale

The first thing that I immediatley noticed while smelling Jardins de Kerylos is the outstanding quality of this composition. Guillame's interpretation of the fig anhances its leafy green aspect to the point of becaming almost bitter. This "dangerous direction" is cleverly balanced by a subtle floral accord (most detectable in the drydown) that makes this composotion reaching an incrediblly sophisticated and refined perfection.

Jardins de Kerylos is far from beeing a semplicistic fragrance and together with Heeley's Figuer, Diptyque's Philosykos and L'Artisan's Premier Figuer settles among the best fig interpretations around. Good.

Jack Hunter's avatar

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

Very spicy and exotic in a way that reminds me of the Orient. It gets sweeter on the drydown and the sillage reins itself in after many hours. A good evening fragrance though you have to be easy on the trigger as it's quite potent.

robyogi's avatar

Gaiac 10 by Le Labo

Gaiac and musk - lots of musk. I don't have longevity issues at all. In fact, over a day later I can smell this at the spot of application on the skin or clothes. My guess is that many folks are anosmic to one or more of the musks in the base, leading to perceived longevity issues for some. My understanding is that these musks are the most likely chemicals to go undetected by many. [FWIW, for me, they always stand out, usually a bit too much, so it's possible that I'm a little hyper-sensitive to the smell of these. That might explain why I avoid scented laundry detergents and tend to think everyone in the US smells like cheap detergent.]

Anyway, what's it smell like? Bright wood and clean musk. The musk softens the wood element, and in my opinion, somewhat drowns it out. One thing this reminds me of, a bit anyway, is Gucci Rush for Men. It's not "the same," but there are some shared notes and elements, and I think, the overall feel or effect is similar. Also, Kyoto from CdG. Again, it's not 100% the same, but it's in the same ballpark. Kyoto might be a little more complex than this. I'd probably take either of those over this. All-in-all, Gaiac 10 features lots of bright, twangy wood, lots of synthetic, clean musky elements, and something of a generic "incense" - though not frankincense - vibe. It's not bad, but for the money I expected more.

LushLife's avatar

Frank No. 3 by Frank Los Angeles

I agree with Foetidus - the opening had promise, but as soon as you get a bit into it the 'aqua di gio' takes over. In fact that's exactly what this scent reminds me of. If you're looking for that you may be satisfied, but I certainly wasn't.

too bad! I also liked No.1 and 2

Spoombung's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This a lovely, subtle fragrance which (as everyone says) smells of vanilla, hay, sawdust and books. I just cannot understand people who describe it as 'fecal' as to my nose, it's anything but. It's a very wearable, tame, friendly, inoffensive thing.

It does bear a resemblance to L'air de Rein but with out the musty base and the potency; this is my only concern as I can't help thinking the perfume could have been ramped up a bit in the perfumer's lab - it's very weak and practically non-existent on the skin after an hour or so - hence the neutral rating.

PeteH's avatar

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Smells like Quorum. Whether or not you think that is a good thing, I can't say, but you will recognize the same soapy astringency.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Vintage formulation of Fahrenheit:

Green notes, (bitter) leather, oil stains and violet leaves. Not bad, but not my style.

Current version of Fahrenheit:

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! Attack of the violet leaves! They're overpowering our leather/petrol forces! FLEE, FLEE!!

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Lemon done wrong.

The lemon in Allure Homme Sport Cologne is too sour and invasive; its prominence clashes with everything else. Loud, annoying, and just when it finally starts to calm down, it's gone.

Want a lemon soliflore? Try Monsieur Balmain or YSL Pour Homme.

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Parfum D'Habit's extremely compelling opening has a quite distinctive "lived-in" leather note joined by pronounced earthy undertones and laying on a masterfully refined musk /sandalwood base. The coniferous (Pine?) presence adds a mysterious extra touch of extreme charme. A well balanced and highly recommended "kinda rough" fragrance.

To be completely honest I found the drydown to be slightly more conventional if compared to the outstanding opening but this may be due to the fact that I'm smelling the reformulated version. I've heard the vintage was way more unpolite and unconventional and I'll do everything is possible to put my hands on it. That being said, this is still one of those compositions you encounter every once in a blue moon...

Extremely solid, masterfully crafted and miles ahead from today's anonymous scents. Because of its unapologetic character, this is probably not a fragrance for everybody. Me? A personal favorite, just like my old leather jacket I used to wear to go to punk/hardcore gigs.

09 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 March, 2012)

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

This is no aquatic. But, I do agree that it bears a strong resemblance to Aqua de Gio, which I dislike. Confusing? No, and here are the reasons why. Aqua de Gio is what happens when you get a quality fragrance like Essenza and then strip it down and add cheap ingredients while tampering with the settings of what was a fine-tuned piece. Where Gio goes awry with high-pitched, cloying notes, Essenza grows into a complex citrus-wood fragrance. The middle notes is where this frag excels. The herbal notes balance out the lemony top notes and the wood base notes. It has at least four layers whereby the fragrance changes as you wear it. Is it original? Not really. But, it is a quality scent for work and summer. It has quality ingredients and will only get you compliments at work. If you want a super original, come-and-look-at-me fragrance, get M7 or Angel. But if you want to be taken seriously at your place of work, get Essenza.
    *****Update: This is in my top five now (out of well over 50 bottles of fragrances). This has to be memorialized as a classic. It is a masculine, elegant fragrance fit for an Italian Count or Baron. And a great value. I wake up and can still enjoy this fragrance from the previous day. Bravo.

09 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2012)

voidvader's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Well... Rochas Lui is a good scent and sadly it was discontinued. It has great longivity e good sillage, and that´s important for me. For me a unisex pherfume. I don´t get heavy cedar notes... What is very dominant here is the spice and florals... Its comfortable, and i imagine using it for a walk, as a well-being state of my soul... just that...

09 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 May, 2012)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Anise and florals. Licorice and powder. I love this! Rive Gauche harkens back to the days YSL was superior. Sadly, the designer house now panders to conventional trends. I bought Rive Gauche online after reading Basenote reviews. I'm glad I did. This is the fragrance for confident, successful people. I appreciate how it smells nothing like what you will find at a typical department store in Los Angeles. Barbershop? Yes. Sophisticated? Yes. Slightly powdery and floral with a subtle wood base, and crisp middle notes that pop in and out throughout the day. The top notes remind me of licorice. Is this the anise ingredient? Initially, it may appear overwhelming. But, do yourself a favor and allow it to settle in. It gets better after two to three hours. My only complaints are the cheap canister the fragrance is housed in and its longevity. It loses punch after four hours. But, no problem. I simply spray more when I get home. Thanks, YSL. Rive Gauche is in my regular rotation for work or evenings. Wearing this fragrance distinguishes you from the average shopping mall consumer.

09 May, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2012)