Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Ma Liberté by Jean Patou

MA LIBERTE, the freedom of wild nature. There's nothing like this, has never been, will never be!! "MA LIBERTE" is the free (and most of all UNTAMED) nordic nature. Bottled Wilderness.Mysterious with capital "M" spring-herbals. Cloves and wildroses burst like spring in the topnotes. The heart of a mystical lavander woodsy cinnamon cedar & sandalwoods. This scent is taken out of the most northern Nordic WHITE MOSS WILDERNESS!!!! A sauna in the deepest woods of Finland. The one & only true scent of real freedom! Heated herbs, and burning fresh spring Björk(Birch)-wood with it's spring-buds thrown on the saunas hot stones. The scent of this exact STEAM !!!! This is freedom. Clearest sweetwater fjordes of Norway, the pulsating magical hot springs of Iceland. And the crisp spring-air & Waters, combined earth, the ground-soil of the cleanest nature of Sweden. A saga - more than a fragrance. Ancient and close-to-heart. This is one of my signature scents. Like an older, wise ancestor to Guerlain's "Jicky" edp. "MA LIBERTE'S" bolder & deeper. MYSTIC !!With added dark vetiver and white moss. THE leader through the whole scent, lavender from bright innocent jasmin-rosebuds-lavender top - down to "Ma liberte's" woodsy earthy lavender-base.

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

Smells exactly like self-tanning-cream!! Salt air, sea, the scent of burning sun, +45 celsius, an over-crowded mad beach by the meditarranean sea, in late july. Synthetic plastic Self-tanning-cream and sweat, sunburnt red bodys... AND myrrh !! Perfume made as an piece of art, so strange - made ugly-beautiful.

Mazzolari Lui by Mazzolari

Smells like a dump.

Call it sexy words like "dirty" or "aggressive" (which I guess is intended to analogize to an aggressive homeless person or mugger) but the bottom line is this stuff stinks. If you wear this, expect people to wonder if you're living on the streets. I mean, I've been smelling this for a while now and there is nothing about it that smells good.

Original Vetiver by Creed

This is a fancy veviter.

Like all the creeds I've ever tried, it smells good. If that's all you need to hear then stop reading, because you won't be disappointed by the scent. However, it may be too fancy for someone looking for a classic vetiver. When compared to Guerlain's vetiver, this has more stuff going on. It's more complex and may disappoint someone looking for a simple interpretation of the vetiver.

JeanieE's avatar

Love to the Fullest by Reese Witherspoon

very harsh-smelling opening note...can anyone tell me what that is? Because THAT'S the note I've been looking to identify so that I can say with confidence, "I don't like perfumes with (fill in the blank) in them!" I'm guessing the primrose, cashmere or the sandstone, because I've always been ok with the others.

Grottola's avatar

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

One of my best female friends wears Viva La Juicy. It's very sweet, "pink", and VERY strong. It just screams "youth", in a more obnoxious-but-still-kinda-tolerable-way.

Oproust's avatar

Aventus by Creed

Creed got this one right. Pineapple and apples right out of the gate. These notes dominate the opening with the blackcurrant and bergamot scrambling to reach the top. The dry birch and patchouli bring a pleasant depth to the fruit powered top notes. Very nice transition into the mid notes. The base notes of musk, ambregris and vanilla are prominent, but the dry birch and patchouli never really leave. I detect a faint dose of oak moss in the base. Aventus lasts forever on my skin, with very good sillage. I perceive this to be a dark scent, even with the bright fruity opening. It reminds me of a crisp fall day in the woods, slightly overcast, sun beginning to slip away, Green Irish Tweed nipping at its heels.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Parfum d'Habit by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Leather jacket? Yes

Wool blanket? Sure

Expensive suit? Indeed

Masculine? ABSOLUTELY!

Parfum d'Habit just has that "expensive clothing" vibe that I can't get enough of. It's also the smell of the boss. If you're dressing for that management position, even if you don't have it yet, you absolutely need this fragrance. It's very business assertive.

Unfortunately I feel that you'd have to be happily married, or at least taken, to wear this. I honestly think that PdH could ruin your shot with a woman because it's very intimidating and doesn't contain a hint of friendliness. I'm being very careful with my wording here, because PdH isn't the least bit unpleasant smelling, but it isn't warm or inviting, and it certainly DOES NOT SMILE.

And another point about this is the artistry. PdH is very unique, and yet not even a little bizarre. The vetiver, leather, and sandalwood are clearly discernible notes at times, and yet at other times the smell is a single unit that is more than the sum of it's parts. I believe that this fragrance has existed since the beginning of time, and yet it took Jean Laporte to show everyone.

Aventus by Creed

This is the most ridiculous cologne I have ever smelt. First of all, does it smell good? I wouldn't go that far. You see, this smells like pinapple musk. Yes, you heard right, pineapple and musk.

Now men's colognes are expected to have that stinky, skunky, musk smell. It's manly. Mazzolari Lui is a perfect example of that.

Some men's colognes and some women's colognes smell good, fruity, fresh, aquatic etc. Creed MI comes to mind.

But what is the point of combining a sweet good smell with musk? That's like defecating in a rose garden. It doesn't make any sense.

Granted, that over time the fruity smell goes away and the musk base note remains, but I'm going to give this a thumbs down for the odd juxtaposition.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is one of the best smelling things I have ever smelled.

Right out of the bottle you will be blown away by how good it smells. The notes are listed above, but they are combined in a way that just makes you go wow. I know it's been copied a bunch of times (Sean John Unforgivable, some other cheaper colognes) but the reason is because Creed did such a good job with this.

The downsides are that it's not necessarily masculine, it's definitely unisex. It's a little bit of a "fancy boy" type of smell, something you could imagine on Leonardo DiCaprio during his Titanic days, but not on an Al Pacino. All this being said, and granted it's been copied, this is one of the greatest colognes ever invented.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Apparition Homme by Ungaro

Somewhat dissapointed with this fragrance, I expected a lot more from Ungaro and Polge. Not a bad fragrance but less than expected.
    It is fresh but doesn't qualify as aquatic either, the opening is very fruity with the tart rhubarb and mandarin but soon the anise takes command with the peppery background to end in a somewhat pleasant vetiver note.
    Again, not a bad fragrance by any means, but not good enough for my thumbs up either, my wife loves it so maybe your spouse/partner will too.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

The best word I can use to describe this cologne is interesting. Add another word, unique. Does it smell good? I'm not good I can say that, but do you want to constantly smell it to experience it? Yes.

It definitely does a good job of capturing what one might imagine the Swiss Alps of smelling like. It's not a pine smell, it's not a mint smell, it's just a very sharp and fresh smell. It almost burns your nose a bit.

This is also a univeral fragrance because you can't pin it down to any demographic, gender or age group. I don't know what to say about this, but you definitely owe it to yourself to at least sample it.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

There are a lot of vetivers out there, and when you love some and hate others it becomes an adventure every time you try a new one.

Grey Vetiver is unique because it has mainstream accessibility and yet isn't a hacky pop scent, and it's probably destined to be a bit of a classic. Many vetivers fall into a sort of "advanced" category, much like Jazz. Guerlain's, Givenchy's, MPG's, Encre Noir, and Malles (to scratch the surface) are all varying degrees of an acquired taste, while I would put Tom's in the company of Creed's, but it's not as mild.

Grey Vetiver hits you right up front with fruit, and a fresh, smokey vetiver. It dries down fresh and clean, with all of the edges rounding out and the smokeyness outright vanishing.

To try and describe it simply, it's like taking Guerlian's Vetiver, taking out the tobacco, and replacing it with light woods and a bit of those lab created "fresh" scents (white musk, calone, iso-e super, etc)...

I think.

Anyway, I really liked it, and others around me really liked it as well. I will own a bottle sooner or later.

Boratio's avatar

Only The Brave by Diesel

Only the Brave....would spend their own money on this pretentious, farcical miasma. It has the ambivalence of a hungover KFC nightshift worker and is equally unenthusiastic to offer any semblance of creativity.
    There are no discernable notes; there is nothing distinctive or attractive about it. All in all, it is a total copout and has the most woeful bottle ever, too. Its banality will be embraced by all who aspire to be like "The Situation".

Kalynne's avatar

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I've been so curious about this scent, I'm a fan of Francis. I was just offered a sample and the same night...OMG! I tried it just before bed. The scent woke me a few times. It was as though a perpetually unwashed person, sprinkled some of my perfume on and got into my bed...disturbing! Once I woke up, put my bedding into the wash, I did notice it was much more mellow and sweet. If I appreciated civet, I would be happy with the scent after 3-5 hours! With that said, it's actually quite interesting. After reading the book Perfume, I wondered what people must have smelled like since people didn't bathe often. I think this scent is a representation of the animal scent we scrub off with the addition of a fragrance. I think this would be a hard scent to wear in public. I think I'll just keep to my Lumiere Noire pour fem.

Swanky's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I will make the heretical claim that the newer, semi-clear bottle version actually works better for me. I purchased M7 several years ago in its original incarnation. While I loved it on the scent strip, on my skin it lay inert. Multiple sprays, different times of the day: nothing made it come alive. Sadly, I parted with it. Recently I revisited it when I came across a bottle in a specialty store. This time it worked. Smoke notes are among my favorites and this one has a mild rendition, although it fades by the midsection, lamentably for me.

The newer one is less dense and dramatic. If the original works for you, you're lucky as I'm sure it's at least a bit richer. The newer one, though, is no slouch and is worth seeking for those without preconceived notions.

AmateurFragMan's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

You put the lime in the coconut and spray it all on... (for all you Kermit the Frog fans out there)

The lime comes out swinging like Barry Bonds when you spray this sucker on, but the majority of this frag's heart is dominated by the coconut (even though it's supposedly a top note). Please note my point of view comes from having only sprayed from a sample atomizer. I don't know if it's different coming straight from the bottle.

Bottomline: if you're looking for a summer fragrance, you should look no further than this. I see other people talking about longevity issues, and on my second use it didn't seem to last as long as the first time. It lasted on me around 6 or 7 hours the first time and around 4 or 5 hours the second time. It still did its job. Of course, expecting a fragrance to last 12 hours is extremely unreasonably on my part. For any fragrance to last on me for more than 5 or 6 hours is an accomplishment and a half.

I should mention that Virgin Island Water is the first Creed fragrance I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. In fact, it's the first niche fragrance altogether that I've ever tried. I would rather have tried Green Irish Tweed first just because it sounds more like my style of fragrance (and because I'm a huge Cool Water fan), but VIW is a very impressive juice. Is it worth the money? If you can afford it, like it more than other summer frags, and want it? Of course. All fragrances are luxury items anyway, whether they cost $30 or $300.

Bigsly's avatar

Joseph Abboud by Joseph Abboud

There's a woody/vetiver and amber "backbone" to this fragrance, along with the moderately sharp citrus (the orange is obvious), pepper, and herbs. I don't get much in the way of any other spice note here. Also, it's a bit musky, but not a heavy musk. Mostly, the overall impression I get is a basket of leaves from citrus trees. It's reasonably natural smelling, with decent projection/"sillage" and longevity. If you want something more floral and animalic, go for M. de Morabito. If you want more diversity and dynamism, go for Coriolan (which has a clearer spice not in the base as well as a dry leathery quality). Not sure where the "root beer" impression comes from, because I don't get that at all. This is rather linear, so if you don't like the idea you will not like this fragrance. There is no "waiting for it to get better" with this one. Over time, it seems to just get more mellow. There's nothing "wrong" with it, but if you have a similar fragrance (Greenergy is another one), then you might not be happy if you blind buy it and find that it's not really going to improve your rotation much.

nezdelacoreé's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Daisy didn't seem original or especially appealing to me. It really does deserve to join the ranks of drug-store fragrances aimed at the under-21 market, if it hasn't already done so. (Here in Korea, it's still sold alongside Bulgari and Lanvin products as a more upmarket scent.) It does go a bit play-doh in the drydown, which was nauseating. Fortunately, it has a very short life on the skin, and almost no projection, so I suppose those wishing to be Daisy-fresh can wear it without fear of causing sensitive souls such as myself to leave the room, clutching our stomachs, in search of the nearest ladies' room.

Grottola's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

I was able to get a decant of vintage Joy parfum (extrait).

My god, this is the most beautiful floral I've ever smelled. It really is a joy to wear.

It's like running through a field of every fragrant flower in the world on a dewy spring morning.

If you haven't tried this yet, please do. This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled, and really fits the bill as to what a "fragrance" is - an enveloping, timeless experience. Jean Patou really is one of the best houses of all time.

JackTwist's avatar

Armani Privé Éclat de Jasmine by Giorgio Armani

This is an unremarkable light scent, jasmine not distinguishable - it could be any light floral. Slightly sweet, poor sillage. At $35 a bottle it would be perfectly acceptable, but at $95, it is a rip off.

If you are seeking jasmine, purchase the best - Serge Lutens A La Nuit.

JackTwist's avatar

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Superb rendition of pure jasmine - for both men and women. On men it will mix with body oils to "masculinize" it - is that a word? - in about an hour. Long lasting - an evening's worth easily.

This is the sort of cologne one would expect a gorgeous Northern Italian model to wear - Botticelli face and form - soft, gentle, yet quietly masculine and refined.l

This is at the same time both the king and queen of jasmine scents.

Kaern's avatar

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

It was being promoted as unisex in House, so not sure of the subsequent categorisation. Really sharp galbanum to open up, about the greenest opening I've experienced -- not my cup of tea though. I waited for a while and all I got in the drydown was a faint hint of orange blossom and some woods. The sales team had some fronds that you could smell, supposedly a realistic rendition of the base notes, but it wasn't what I got off my skin-- I wish it had been as it was very nice. Very green, very dry, but too harsh for me. I'm not really 'neutral' about it, but it isn't a bad scent.

Kaern's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I'm going slightly against the grain here. Admittedly, Carnal Flower is a fine rendition of the tuberose flower and I wore all of the sample I received. However, Dominique Ropion hasn't called it 'Carnal' for nothing. There is a hint of 'decadence' here, which equates to a slightly overblown or overripe note, probably within the musks, which harks back to some of the famous 'classics'. It's a small caveat but worth mentioning. I'll stick to 'Beyond Love' for my floral fix.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Acqua Santa / Holy Water by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

A delightful EDC-styled fragrance which cleverly balances the tartness of citrus oils and the aridity of frankincense resins with a subtle watery floral element. Beautiful as a sunset and equally shortlived, this is probably the only fragrance I would buy in huge flacons. Spray at will and rejoice!

anotherlemontree's avatar

Hot Couture by Givenchy

I find there's something fun about this fragrance as long as it's worn in a) microscopic doses and b) large open spaces only.

I get melting plastic and raspberry-scented hairspray / soda (maybe the hairspray is the nose-tingling black pepper? who knows... I can't bear to apply enough to definitely tell).

I've worn this for a night out before - the sort when I know everyone will be drunk within minutes. It's a fragrance that I find mixes well with sweat and booze and little else. If it wasn't so blatantly, fluorescently trashy I would give it a thumbs down, but I think it has a sense of humour to match its tiny ra-ra skirt.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

This one is quite good, serious and a masculine fragrance. There is a bit of Zino here, and a bit of Armani Attitude, but with something that separates it from the two mentioned. The thing that separates is the citruses and the lavender. I'm in fact a bit surprised that this scent recieved so many negative revivews as this is a rather distinguishing scent with quite a cahrachter. It is a whole year scent, but it could be ragarded as tad bit heavy on hot and sultry days. Longevity and projection are quite good.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

I've just applied a couple of drops of the EDT Insolence for the first time and am overwhelmingly smelling violets and vanilla. It's strong, I don't think this is one I'll be wearing often but in the right mood, for the right occasion will be perfect. Very feminine, with a touch of fun but wouldl never be my signature scent.
    This is the only perfume I have that my son has commented on - he's 2 and keeps demanding to smell my wrist and repeats, "that's nice!" - so it's a winner with him at least!

Swanky's avatar

Bogart by Jacques Bogart

The lemon aspect is like an Alfred Hitchcock cameo: noticeable but very brief. The spice and leather are what Bogart is based upon and they are well done here. Firmly masculine, I could see the most famous Bogart wearing this in Casablanca, had it been around then. Very slightly smoky and very aromatic, it's like a less sloppy Halston Z-14 (or perhaps the Halston is a meretricious Bogart PH, and I mean that in a good way!). At the end of its run, however, I find that Bogart Pour Homme loses a little bit of horsepower; the tread on the tires wears a bit thinner than at the start of the day. The opening couple of hours, however, are fantastic and highly recommended.

Bigsly's avatar

Lacoste Eau de Sport by Lacoste

A very nice blend, with just enough note separation. What you get here that you don't get with recent designer fragrances is a natural-smelling, rich, complex, and earthy, yet soft and rounded scent. It has a fresh aspect, with a touch of grassiness, as well as a distinct floral quality. The base is subtle yet excellent, with no one note overwhelming the others. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that it has the kind of muskiness that those used to only recent fragrances might not like.

I have the newer bottle, and the notes I found for it (at fragrantica.com) seem right:

"Top notes are lavender, mandarin orange, mint, basil, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are coriander, carnation, fir, clary sage, jasmine, rose and geranium; base notes are leather, sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar."

Also, it's strong and long-lasting so you can use just one spray.