Fragrance Reviews from May 2011

Ungaro II by Ungaro

If you're going to smell this composition for the first time you have to be aware that to properly appreciate it, it's an essential condition that you like animalic notes, and expecially civet. In fact, Ungaro II opens with boatloads of civet, lavander and citrus. The overall effect is at the same time seriously challenging and of rare charm. The juxtaposition of animalic notes and citruses freshness is quite unique and gives to this composition a special character that is pretty hard to find in today's perfumes. Fresh and mysterious. During the drydown lavender and civet are joined by a considerable dose of sweet vanilla turning Ungaro II to a sort of dirty animalic version of Caron Pour Un Homme. Amazing and destabilizing yet very sensual.

10th May, 2011

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

04 Petrana by Odin New York

Petrana - an interesting unisex. Women should give this one a try too for it's very wearable .
    This is to sum up - an elegant iris fragrance. Sweetish and powdery to start. Sheer and subtle. Candied Violets is what I thought when I applied this.However , the iris shines after the top notes and lasts till dry down.
    If Dior Homme appeals ,then this should too.

10th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 May, 2011)

elmatador75's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

Initially, I had a problem giving this a thumps up. However, the quality ingredients and longevity--combined with the fact that it smells nice--convinced me to give it a positive review. Bleu is the little brother of Green Irish Tweed, Cool Waters and Bond No. 9's "Chez Bond," as they are all similar fragrances. Bleu is the more subtle, powdery sibling of the four. It's by far more discreet and yes, it is not very original. It was a blind buy for me and it disappointed initially. However, I gave it a second and then a third try, and it won me over. To begin, my girlfriend likes it. My favorite frag is Guerlain's Vetiver, which she doesn't like, so occasionally I purchase more "accesible" scents. Bleu lasts all day and night. It is also multilayered as it changes pleasantly as you wear it. The Chanel quality becomes evident on the dry down. It is an office/day fragrance that will please all but the most discriminating basenoters. After all, we cannot always wear the more pronounced, opulent, attention-seeking fragrances that rank so highly (and rightfully so) among the elite on this wonderful website. Some times it is okay to conform. Just a little.

10th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 19 May, 2011)

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

On my skin, this fragrance does not seem to evolve much. From start to finish (and that's quite an amazingly long time - it lasts easily the whole day on your skin, not to talk about what it does on your clothes...) I get pepper, pepper and then again pepper. Thankfullly, of the sort that I like, more thick than sharp.

A very good scent I suggest one should wear once in a while, perhaps to break the routine of other more conventional, sweeter smelling fragrances.

Thumbs definitely up.

10th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2011)

Oproust's avatar

Canoé by Dana

I recently added Canoe to my wardrobe in honor of its iconic status as a reference aromatic fougere per Michael Edwards. I find the top notes to be a bit unsettling, alcohol, lemon and I'm not sure what else. Hairspray comes to mind. Fortunately, this fades fairly quickly. I get a definite Brut vibe with this one. The mid notes pass me by entirely. The tonka and vanilla base notes emerge and dominate early in the progression with a noticeable heliotrope note. No oakmoss to my nose. I rate this a neutral for its pleasant, persistent dry down and its long history of making guys smell pretty good. The new formulation, which is now (according to the box) "Made in China with Fragrance Oil Made in the USA", is the only version I've tried. I've smelled it on others years ago but never gave it much thought. I'd love to get my hands on the "Made in France" version.

10th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2011)

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

Another top notch in this genre. Quite simple yet incredibly satisfying. The usual sharp and rooty vetiver is joined by a iodine, sort of salty, note. Probably not among the most complex in this genre but still pretty darn good in its minimalistic interation of the accord.

10th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2012)

shamu1's avatar

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

It's time to do revision of my prior review, because I now realize that the way I perceive this scent depends on how I apply it. THIS MUST BE SPRAYED ON LIGHTLY! Any more than three spritzes, and I'm running to grab my barf bag. This is a truly sickening fragrance when it's oversprayed.

However, with just a spray on the back of my neck, one on my chest, and one on my wrists, Desire For Man is a well balanced, warm and rich floral oriental scent. I don't smell any rose, patchouli or other aromatics in this, but the neroli and orange blossom (two notes I almost always hate) here are crisp and bright, and they cut through the red sweetness. There are also some very subtle wood notes in here that serve simply to prevent this from smelling like a red lollipop.

I don't agree that this is only suited to younger guys. This will suit a man of any age, provided it's applied carefully.

MY RATING: 7.5/10

10th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2012)

odiferous1's avatar

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This stuff is like a walk through a dirty alley in the middle of the night. OMG..I hated it but am certain to apply it again because I have to know if what I THOUGHT I smelled is what I actually smelled. I hadn't yet showered, it was hot....basically I just have to know.

This is in your face, raw, dirty and ready for a fight. Definitely not for me ( at least I don't think ) but I can see where there would be a very small minority of the perfume population that would appreciate it.

thehanna's avatar

Ginger by Gorilla Perfume

If you like white musks and powdery soapy scents, you may like this, but try it before you buy to see if the ginger smells as synthetic on your skin as it did on mine. If you are looking for a bright clean single note scent, this is not it.

On me, it has a sweet perfumey /synthetic gingery-ness to start then immediately fades to a very cloying scented powder smell. A pleasant, slightly soapy-fizziness kicks in somewhere. After about 10 minutes this smells exactly like those big round containers of perfumed talcum body powder with a giant powder puff that my grandmother used to get from Avon and keep next to the bathtub. Not what I was expecting.

Kalynne's avatar

Field Notes from Paris by Ineke

This is a bone dry tobacco scent. The coriander gives an herbal note. To me, this is rather masculine. I expected some sweetness as it evolved...my skin turns most scents sweeter, but not this one. It's very interesting and I appreciate the scent, but I have an aversion to tobacco scents. I think the tobacco is from tonka. I think this is a nice scent for men/women who enjoy tobacco scents that aren't too strong and a nice affordable price.

coco the seraph's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

This is really well done and absolutely has Jean-Claude Ellena written all over it with his marvellous clarity and legibility.
    From the beautiful opening of bitter orange playing against the gentler bergamot to the heart dominated by cardamom, this is lovely stuff and can easily last twenty hours.
    There may be cumin in there, but, if so, it doesn't have the warm heart of cumin; the cooler cardamom definitely dominates.
    All in all, wonderfully balanced, complex, but never cluttered.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

wonderful aromatic fougere. perfectly balanced, outstandig classic perfume for a man.
    better chioice for a grown up, a virile and handsome guy.this scent is very present, rich in content, powerful and longlasting.same league as paco rabann pour homme but better!
    this is a really great individual, personal and special scent and on top very masculine- time changes but azzarro is one perfume of the golden age of perfume making- remarkable-recognizable- unique.This kind of perfume isn´t produced anymore, what we get nowadays is mostly a load of crap!All this metrosexual feminine cheap bullshit of the guccischischi companies is such a shame.....
    one of the really masculine perfumes for the desert island!

redrose's avatar

Rose by Caron

A truly beautiful scent, which I love - I have the extrait, which does last well on my skin. The EdP doesn't have great longevity for me, but it's just as lovely while it lasts. The perfect scent when I want to feel romantic and ethereal! The drydown is similar to Or et Noir, as others have noted, but the Rose extrait prolongs the rose top and middle notes so that is what I mainly get. Subtle hints of mint and geranium stop it from being just a soliflore, and the perfume blends well with my usual rose soap and body lotion. I will always want to have this fragrance in my collection.

Syaf's avatar

Eau de NoHo by Bond No. 9

I like the smell even though im a guy.

It smelled like tea...a green greeny tea...not a warm one...a fresh one sort of like the leaves and fresh air opening..synthetic though so just apply lightly will do.. on cloth its extravaganza lasting..

until one day...

my mom bought a cheap laundry detergent that smelsl pretty much like it!...it was a major turn off...darn it!!! i mean jeez...how come the laundry people could come with the scent cheaply?!?! and it made for clothing!!

nezdelacoreé's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

My husband received a bottle of this as a gift from one of his students' families, and not being much for fragrance, he let it sit on the shelf in our bedroom until I figured out a use for it. Air-drying our laundry on the rooftop of our apartment, I would generously spray Blu all over the damp clothes on the drying rack to mask the smell of the urban air pollution in Seoul, where the laundry happened to be drying. Imagine my satisfaction when I read Tania Sanchez's review in PERFUMES: THE GUIDE, and realized that I had in fact divined the proper use for Blu: "Somebody has attempted to dress up a laundry-soap musk with gestures of sweet citrus and spice." Clean clothes, 1: Masculine perfumery, 0. Score!

JackTwist's avatar

Cradle of Light by CB I Hate Perfume

A very unusual vetiver - dark and earthy, blended with the bright sweetness of birch. The opening is of a dark, sultry jasmine, which is gone within ten minutes, leaving the original idea of matching birch and vetiver - an unusual and welcome scent combo.

This is worth trying for all lovers of vetiver.

silverbullet's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

The only notes I get are rose,cinnamon,amber, and Patchouli. On my dry skin it seems to be quite linear from mid to base. Excellent longevity and sillage. I would have given it a thumbs up but the overly sweetness and cloying makes it a neutral rating.

SirScent's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

Although similar to other scents out there, I think this is a nice choice for an everyday frag.
    To my nose, this is quite natural smelling compared to Eternity or Escape which seem to have a more synthetic character.
    Light, masculine and fresh smelling. This is one scent where I do find the mint and it is appealing.
    Nice!

odysseusm's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

Looking at my review of Carre d'As, I see some similarities: smooth, misty-cool. Perhaps that is a house style.
    I find this to be a so-so sort of scent. Nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but nothing that really grabs me. My chief reservation is that it is nowhere as green-herbal-earthy as I had been led to expect, based on some reviews. I find this to be a restrained, classy sort of scent. It has vaguely green notes and also a sort of metallic-minty freshness. At times the amber and patchouli bring a tiny bit of sweetness but this is not a heavy oriental in any way. At one point, the patchouli has a slight smoky tang which is intriguing. The drydown is a tiny bit sweet and somewhat powdery, due to the amber. I'm sure many like this with good reason -- it just isn't quite to my taste.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

Givenchy Play is a backstreet fragrance. What I mean by that is it hides in the shadows of so many other fragrances of it's kind like many other's have said. I am glad I only got a sample of this. It opens up synthetic with citrus, woods & some coffee.

While this does not sound bad, it is due to the lack of quality that is produced in this fragrance. It should appeal to those teenagers whom are young @ heart, but I can not recommend this fragrance to anyone over the age of 20! Givenchy perfumes are usually a hit or miss with me as they will either last a nice while or will fade away rather swiftly. This is the case with Play. I get a max 3 hours then it fades to nothing. Projects? Not much if @ all. Intense would be a much better option than this. However the bottle is unique.

ross_evans's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Smells to my currently uncultured nose like soap powder mixed with talcum powder.
    Not a bad smell, but it did give me a headache after about half an hour.
    Still it shows good longevity on my skin.

anotherlemontree's avatar

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

Rien opens with the bitterest leather note I have ever smelled (not unlike the insect repellent leather in the opening of Knize Ten) and vanilla cast in a startling green, medicinal striplight. I adore the union of these unfamiliar aspects of old familiar materials, even though it is initially shocking to my nose. There's enough black pepper here to make me sneeze too. Gorgeous, and as sniffable as a weird old leather jacket filled with the scent of mothballs and its owner's perfume.

After a few minutes a dark, dry incense seeps into the background. Pot-pourri rose plays on top, and the civet adds its animalic notes to the score (I find this civet quite well-behaved, not at all repulsive, and certainly less outrageous than the loud, unsettling notes in the opening).

I find the drydown disappointingly boring by comparison to the start: woody floral (the floral notes are gorgeous - iris and jasmine in sheer pink chiffon) with incense and pepper staying strong and a creamier vanilla coming in late and sitting in the back. Nice, but nothing remarkable.

Worth wearing for the wonderful, bitter beginning. And if you enjoy burying your nose in other people's leather jackets. I see this being my "don't mess with me" fragrance - you wouldn't want to get on its ugly side :)

Mysticman's avatar

Tenaz by Daniel de Fasson

I bought a bottle of Tenaz at clearance prices some time ago (less than $10 for 50 ml) at Perfumania, and found it a unique and very pleasant chypre. Lately I've seen it advertised for jaw-dropping prices ($150 to $300 a bottle), and I'm sorry, but it just ain't THAT good (hardly anything is, in my opinion).

According to one website, it has topnotes of bergamot, lavender, jasmine and magnolia, mid-notes of pepper, cedar and sandalwood, with base notes of tobacco and musk. The floral elements are understated, and I also notice a warm, smooth amber (benzoin, perhaps?) in the drydown. It reminds me a little of Giorgio Red for men, but smoother and more subtle, and not quite as long-lasting. Since Red has been reissued at more reasonable prices, I can't imagine why anyone would buy Tenaz at several times the cost.

My neutral rating reflects the inflated pricing. Tenaz is a well-blended fragrance that would easily rate a thumbs-up at reasonable prices, but at $150 a pop and up, it's only average.

Galvatron77's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Amazing ! One of my top 5. Never smelled something like this before , brings to my mind the fresh air after a summer rain, and the orange note … wow … sometimes I wish to drink it… hahahah.
    Got a lot of compliments wearing this, especially from women.
    TdH is Sublime !

11th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2011)

Bokchoy's avatar

Aventus by Creed

Aventus = Fun, energetic, confident and ambitious. It is a fragrance that is loud but not offensive. No other fragrance that I've tried has gotten as many compliments as Aventus. The number of random compliments from strangers is unreal. This doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best smelling fragrance. The nature of Aventus is that it's very noticeable and people can't help but to comment on it. With that being said, it is a great fragrance if you're looking to get noticed.

Longevity and Sillage are superb which is uncharacteristic for Creed fragrances.
    Versatility is lacking since there are times where you'll want a subtle fragrance, and Aventus doesn't do subtle. Some recommend this for office use, but not for me.
    Uniqueness is the reason I will be picking up a bottle, despite it's expensive cost. There is no other fragrance like it (yet) and few fruity fragrances that perform quite like it.

Overall, Aventus is great. It has become an instant favorite of mine. It is my go-to fragrance for any social outing with the opportunity to meet new people. Aventus definitely makes your presence felt but without being too overpowering.

Suitable for warm or cool weather, day or night.
    I personally don't think it is best suited for office/classroom.
    Most suitable for young adults (20's-30's)

I give Aventus my highest recommendations.
    5 out of 5

11th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 May, 2011)

Oproust's avatar

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

This is my favorite lavender-vanilla fragrance, by far. For me, this easily surpasses Caron pour un Homme which is too minty for my taste and Jicky which is, well,..too Jicky. A Taste of Heaven is deceptively simple and silky smooth. Foetidus describes the progression of A Taste of Heaven perfectly. The lavender, bergamot, floral and vanilla notes blend very well and the transition from the top notes to the mid notes is flawless. There is nothing forced. The lavender recedes a bit during the drydown. It is there, but tonka and vanilla rule the base, with a slight tinge of burnt sugar. I also detect light patchouli and oak moss in the dry down. This is one of those "I can't separate my nose from my wrist" fragrances. It smells equally fabulous on a man or a woman.

11th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2011)

Kenzoair by Kenzo

An underrated gem.

It happened by accident that I layered two fragrances. I was testing Encre Noir to write my final review and instead of spraying it on an unscented smelling strip, I sprayed it on a piece of paper on which I previously tested Etro's Anice.
    What a suprise to smell the anisic aspect of vetiver amphasized by the real anise note. Especially in the drydown when the two perfumes blended perfectly together.

Well, I found Kenzo Air Intense / Kenzo Air to have a very similar vibe to the above scenario and despites probably not being as praised as Encre Noir, it still has a great charme. Peppery, anisic, funny. Chemical? Yes, most definitely, but very well blended. Does great in warm weather.

If you're wondering about the differencies between the "intense" version and the original, well, I haven't found a substantial one. The "intense" is exactly like the original version but a little bit stronger, that's it.

Rating: 7.5/10

11th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2012)

Kenzoair Intense by Kenzo

An underrated gem.

Rating: 7.5/10

11th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 March, 2012)

jbthorpe's avatar

Kadota by Michael Storer

I enjoy sweeter fig fragrances and this is definitely a sweet one. I think the fig/date/"jammy notes" (as described by Michael) are fantastic and delisciously sweet. There is a faint hint of green hiding amongst the fruity notes that is very pleasant and not overpowering. This scent has great projection and sillage and seems to really last forever. It is fairly linear on my skin which is fine with me since it smells great from opening to finish. Once again, another stroke of genius from Michael.

11th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st February, 2013)

jbthorpe's avatar

Monk by Michael Storer

EDP formulation:
    I did not like this one when I first sampled it. A few months later I decided to give it another try and low and behold I actually really enjoy it now. I do get quite a bit of the citrus in the opening, but not a "bright, cheery" citrus but more of a "dark, foreboding" citrus (if such a thing exists). As the fragrance developes I start to notice the cocoa and incense coming to the forefront and on my skin these two notes remain dominant for the duration of the ride. I absolutely love the cocoa note that Michael uses in Monk. It is not the nasty synthetic chocolate note that has been popular in men's designer fragrances lately. It is a smooth, creamy cocoa powder smell that is very natural and works very well in this fragrance to temper the other notes. Try this one before you buy as it may note suit everyone out there, but I find it to be a wonderful scent.

11th May, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st February, 2013)