Fragrance Reviews from June 2011

lisadcotter's avatar

Galimar by Galimard

Intoxicating unique and memorable, but not overbearing. Elegant and oriental. Simply beautiful!!!! Galimard is a quality house. In fact on of the most respected "noses" is at Galimard. The quality is on a par with Caron. The fragrances are not available at department stores; this is a good thing! The line is available in the USA at The Village Parfumerie, where you can buy any Galimard fragrance or have a custom fragrance made for you. I adore both Galimar and Shantoung. I have never sampled a line where I like so many fragrances. Call the Village Parfumerie at 317 873-9707 or go to villageparfumerie.com. great service from caring knowledgeable people. Enjoy!

cello's avatar

Cashmere for Women by Cristiano Fissore

This did turn out to smell somewhat like it's name. It is soft, and well done, but I found it a little lacking in excitement.
    It opens with a very soft bergamot and floral, almost a hint of powder to me. The predominant floral was jasmine, although lily of the valley and rose are also listed notes. I could smell the others, but they were muted. I keep saying soft, because that is how it came across to me. A touch of myrrh added a small bit of spice, giving it an almost apricot smell. In fact, I could go so far as to compare this to SL Daim Blond and also Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau in that they have a smooth apricot smell with a hint of spice. Some musk comes in for the drydown to round it off.

I own both of my comparison frags, so this one won't temp me. But it is a fine, soft floral that does hint at a cashmere feel, rather than a suede of the others. Ultimately, this bored me a bit, although I can't complain about the smell.

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

I remember receiving this as a Christmas present from my parents. Knowing how I loved scents, they thought that would be a wonderful addition to my humble collection. Unfortunately, it gave me an instant headache and the scent itself repulsed me. I couldn't get it off my skin fast enough. If I ran across it today I'd probably give it another chance to see if anything's changed.

chet31's avatar

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio

If you are looking for something that smells like cigarette, cigar, or pipe tobacco, in other words, what I would define as a tobacco scent, this is not it. This is what I was looking for, and I was intially dissappointed.

I don't believe I have ever smelled raw or unprocessed tobacco. This perhaps perfectly emulates that, I don't know. However, if I just forget about "tobacco," this is quite interesting. I put "tobacco" in quotation marks because the industry seems to have a standard tobacco scent, and this seem to be it. I have detected this exact scent in other tobacco fragrances. However, this fragrance leads with "tobacco," and does it well.

GrokOlfacio's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

When I wear this fragrance I get lots of positive comments from friends and coworkers. It's unique, good sillage and longevity and has grown on me significantly. The first few months I almost couldn't stand it, but lately it's become one of my favorites.

Kukka's avatar

Charles Jourdan The Parfum by Charles Jourdan

As said before, this is a beautiful Gourmand fragrance. I love it, it smells similar to Ghost "Deep Night" and Burberry "Red". I like that it smells GOOD, not just another sweet fragrance. Very sophisticated and feminine. I have had trouble finding it new, if you find one in your travels I recommend snatching it up for yourself :)

Swanky's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

I came across this in a rare-perfumes shop and on the smelling strip it was powder, powder and a hint of powder. About a week later I saw it again at a different shop for much cheaper and bought it (EDT version), since I like powdery scents.

On skin it was less powdery than the first time on paper, but the powder is still an aspect of this fragrance. The dominant note is one I can only describe as bitter, stale chocolate. This lasts for about the first hour and during this phase I'd have to say I find Habanita unpleasant. Although I hate cigarettes, I actually find it a relief when the cigarette tobacco pushes through the crowd. There is a touch of vanilla in the drydown and the longevity is radioactive. I'm not sure this is either masculine or feminine as I'm not sure if it's truly wearable.

This is the fragrance of Norma Desmond's house in Sunset Boulevard: decadent, dessicated and faded but with a baroque, quirky uniqueness. I respect it even if I don't especially like it.

vinramani09's avatar

Shaikah by Al Rehab

For 6 dollars, this is a total deal! It smells like Tom Ford's Oud, but more complex . The top notes smell like Indian rice pudding , known as Kheer, a warm saffron and milky scent. It then evolves into a freshy amber musk with animalic notes and lasts for 8-9 hours on my skin . I bought some at a Pakistani restaurant. I will be getting more for sure!

Hartman Design's avatar

Unbound for Men by Halston

Much more subdued than other inexpensive Halston fragrances such as 1-12 and Z-14, Unbound hugs the skin and shakes off it fleeting and ephemeral top and heart quickly, making it a good choice for office wear. Pleasant woody/amber drydown on the verge of being too boring and short-lived, but refined enough to warrant a neutral ranking.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

So Hooked on Carmella by Benefit

While I would not have chosen this for myself, not ever, I really do enjoy wearing it a lot on those 'no intellectual, difficult fragrances today, thanks' days. Although if you find strong fragrances challenging per se, this could be a difficult perfume for you, because Carmella is a BIG GIRL. Topnotes read as almost meloney to me (I know! Horrors! But somehow not), then we almost totally skip the middle notes, to my nose anyway, and move into a sweeeeet lightly floral vanilla, almost boozy, definitely luscious. I don't really get the sandalwood, some amber does read true.
    The trashier younger cousin of L'Artisan's Vanilia, and a real compliment extractor. And how about that stunning bottle - if you love patterned paper, you should buy it for the bottle alone.

imrupertinent's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

an essence of a midsummer night sex just after it rained stored in a very humble bottle... this fragrance drives me crazy...

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

The vintage formulation. One thing we forget when talking about powerhouses is that a lot of them were, and still are, quite avant-garde. Take the opening of Trussardi Uomo, how utterly brutal, somehow ugly yet admirably strange is this assault of dirt and spices. The olfactory equivalent of Swans tuning up. Unthinkable in today's perfumery (sadly) although even in the pre-aquatic age it must have scared away many a potential customer.

The thing is, Trussardi isn't that outrageously strong after the opening. My theory is that a lot of powerhouses got their fame as sillage monsters because of ultra-strong and weird openings. That doesn’t mean that Trussardi has no projection but I would call it civilized. Its form resembles Yatagan quite a lot.

Trussardi is, no surprise when you consider the origin of the house, about leather. You decided to wear your leather jacket again which you wore when you went clubbing in your younger years, you chain smoked and never bothered to get it cleaned. During the walk in the forest you have sex on a bed of pine needles and then you basically smell of Trussardi Uomo. You will also will smell a bit like the female version of Trussardi, another good thing because that is another brilliant and underrated perfume.

Rough, sullen, pensive Italian glamour in a bottle.

alfarom's avatar

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

A very nice fragrance that opens in the classical Eau De Cologne style with tart citrus and bergamot and immediately takes a much more interesting twist with the appearance of an astringent artemisia note joined by herbs and some coniferous. Nice ambery / musk drydown. Despite longevity it's not among the best around, Les Nuits D'Hadrien is still a remarkable aromatic-citrus-oriental fragrance worth to check out. Good work.

Tabu by Dana

Ah...the unmistakable deep, dark, seductive, " Black Velvety" sexiness of Tabu!!! I love it, but have to be in a "Tabu" mood to wear it...and a drop goes a loooooong way! Apply too much and people will smell you before you enter the doorway. :)

Heaven Sent (original) by Dana

I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned this particular vintage scent may stay lost. Not sure why, but once it comes in to contact with my skin horrifying things happen. Rive Gauche, Emeraude, and Straw Hat (Faberge) have a similar effect on me. The only Faberge frag I ever liked was Babe and now it's nearly impossible to find as well. :(

Candid by Avon

This lovely unique floral frag was one of my favorites for a long time. It was warm and not too sweet. For some reason it reminded me of the way some vintage lipsticks smell, if that makes any sense. It was a more "grown-up" scent than say, Sweet Honesty. Candid also reminds me of Revlon's (vintage) Jontue . Both were very refreshing for inexpensive scents.

MarshallLaw's avatar

212 Men On Ice (2009) by Carolina Herrera

Great summer San Francisco fragrance all year around. I apply this in the morning for an optimal wake up consisting of citrus, grass notes and lemon. The dry down is short but I don't mind. This gives me an excuse to add another fragrance for the afternoon. Love this.

calnadur's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

Cardinal by Heeley

Owing to my Italian roots and youthful years, I think I know pretty well what a Roman Catholic Church smells like and I have to admit Cardinal does a pretty good job at reminding me of that experience..

I haven't tried yet many of the incense fragrances mentioned in other reviews here so perhaps my valuation is that of a newbie but I do appreciate it when a scent delivers on what it promises.

This is a pretty simple sweet incense, one I enjoy wearing from time to time, at least in part because because of the fond memories it evokes..so the positive rating here is, to a good extent, the result of a very personal bias..(but isnt that always the case..??)

Stacy's avatar

Brut Musk by Fabergé

This fragrance has nice citrus top notes that dry down to tobacco-y, spicy woods. My husband walked by one day and smelled SO good to me. It was a nostalgic scent, like a memory of an old movie with a loving grandfather who smelled of fresh pipe tobacco, leather and oranges. I asked him what cologne he was wearing. He said he wasn't wearing any, it was his new deodorant from Brut. I've heard that the cologne version of this can be quite strong, so if you just want a light smell of this fragrance, get the deodorant instead! The scent lasts all day and is very subtle, like it's just the wonderful fragrance of your skin. Yum. ^_^

lotsomelow16's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

wow! well what can i say....it smells like a fudge store...fudge fudge fudge. It just smells like fudge! The cinammon doesnt make it any better either. A Disgustingly sweet scent, it induced a headache with me, and made me feel pretty sick. Longevity is pretty decent i guess, projection must be pretty heavy as many people walked by me saying to eachother 'can you smell that? i smell fudge'

Stacy's avatar

Jovan White Musk by Jovan

I started wearing Jovan White Musk when I was a teenager in the late nineties. My older sister had a friend over who was so exotic looking, she was half Japanese and half Caucasian with chestnut colored hair, pale ivory skin and hazel eyes that were delicately slanted. But her beauty wasn't the only thing I'd noticed! She was wearing this scent that I'd NEVER smelled before. It was almost like what an angel would wear. It wasn't sweet smelling, it had the distinct scent of white mallow blossoms and the perfect mix of musk - just enough that I thought it was just the smell of her skin. I've been wearing this perfume ever since then, and I haven't looked back. I get compliments all the time, people stop me in the grocery store to ask what I'm wearing, but a lot of people already know the scent now that it's been around for a while, so they stop me and let me know how good it smells. Love this. Delicate, warm, not invasive, light, everyday fragrance, day or night. Smells like heaven.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Antaeus by Chanel

woody chypre fragrance.great opening- full flavoured, aromatic, strong and powerful- the drydown won´t disappoint you either- animalic, masculine and all in all a warm, spicy and delicious perfectly composed fragrance.classic and timeless.
    Masterpiece of Jacques Polge- having a look at the garbage that is launched actually by Chanel- all these synthetic,boring aquatic theme garbage it is out of all reason to me why Mr.Polge who did this amazing perfume isn´t anymore able to launch a perfume worthy of Chanel.I mean Allure, Allure Homme Sport, Edition Blanche-what a synthetic, cheap and vulgar trash- why is it not possible to launch a comparable fragrance???!!Does it have to be always mainstream and fulfilling the needs of a market??!! What a poor explanation.......Mr Polge, you have done such great works! Please make something extraordinary and special- a really good Chanel scent 2012!!!!
    By the way- I have the impression that Antaeus has been toned down ......sad....
    And if you like this one, Van Cleef and Arpels pour homme you will love too.

Ralph's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

EDC:

If you put Muscs Koublai Khan through Photoshop - dropping the saturation a fair bit, adding a layer of powdery white at about 30% opacity, pasting in a sharp neroli note at the opening from somewhere - you'd end up with something like Bal à Versailles.

I can see why a lot of people love this, sure: there's a bewitching and reassuring feel to it beyond the opening notes.

It ain't me though, nope, it sure ain't me.

monsieur_sparkle's avatar

Bang by Marc Jacobs

Cool, I liked the spicy peppery opening. It's good for about 20 minutes, then it all fades away to bald Iso-E Super. Nothing wrong with that particular aromachemical, but it is extremely cheap and disappointing when that is all that is left of the fragrance after less than half an hour. So damn lazy and weak.

laydbaak's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

It does have a very sweet opening but as most people warn newbies like myself to not over spray this cologne. I spray just once on the chest up by my throat area and that is all that is needed. Once you get over the shock, after a while it settles down and begins to send out a great aroma. After the dry down you are set for the day.....and night. No need to reapply. It can lay low but still be heard, but if you began to heat up, it will come running to be ready for whatever you have a mind for. The main thing to remember with this cologne is to NEVER over spray and you will grow to love it as I do. This was a blind buy for me, my first buy and I depended solely on the input from this site to make my first purchase. You guys and girls (women) have not let me down. Great piece of work.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

First off, and to harness for a moment the devitalising effect of categorisation, Antoine Lie's Sécrétions Magnifiques is just a brazenly synthetic ozonic floral.

But you'll need to cling tightly to that reassurance, for over the breezy iris and mingled with the rampant Calone lurks a salty-metallic accord of villainously repellent character – an ill-advised medley of blood, semen, and coconut milk. The smell is ugly and mercilessly insistent and, at the risk of being obscure or fanciful, is freakishly close to the smell of penguins. I'm thinking back to Boulder Beach, South Africa and its colony of African penguins, or more recently to those cute and flightless birds of bray residing at the Tierpark here in Berlin. The overall effect is watercolour thin and yet briny, cloying and fetid all at once.

Luca Turin thinks the fragrance will prove seminal ('Mark my words: perfume will never be the same', NZZ Folio Duftnote August 2007). I'd suggest it's merely menstrual. If I had the choice between a bout of gonorrhea and a week of wearing Sécrétions Magnifiques, I'm really not sure which I'd choose. It does, however, make for good dinner party entertainment.

TwoWordReviews's avatar

Lemon No. 1999 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

Lemon. Zest.

About as straightforward as a scent can get. It exudes that wonderful lemon zest scent previously known only in the kitchen or the grove. Fresh and citrusy and clean as can be. A simple scent, but remarkably nice.

MarshallLaw's avatar

Homage Attar by Amouage

When I received my SMALL 0.4 oz cube I was shocked by the size. More so I was shocked by the strength of the top notes. I applied way too much. However, over the course of the evening the Attar was bliss. This was art well received by my nose and the euphoria was nothing I ever experienced before. For those who knock it...give it another chance. This is worth every star Luca Turin blessed. May I mention 2 DROPS IS PLENTY.

01st June, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th June, 2011)

J Francis's avatar

Dunhill Custom by Dunhill

This fairly uninspiring fragrance works well as an everyday scent for men. I've seen people call fragrances 'office scents', and i would say this falls into that category. It's also the type of fragrance I could see men buying and wearing that were under the illusion it's expensive looking glass bottle denotes sophistication that the scent unfortunately lacks. It reminded me a little of YSL L'Homme, but not as fresh in the opening note. Custom works well as a clean scent to apply before dressing, but is in no way a statement fragrance that will draw attention. Keep it under your shirt.

01st June, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th December, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

Complex modern fragrance, as usual for Varvatos, this is the one (tested) of the brand which I prefer. The combination of aromatic woodsy notes of mountain, patchouli, sharp floral patterns, smoke and suede comes out, few hours later the first spray, as a smooth dark blend of pipe tobacco and velvety mellifluence with nuances of obscure flowers and a vintage undertone provided by the link of lavender, tobacco/patchouli, aromatic resins and santolina. The camphoraceous vibe of the latter is combined with the lovely juniper berries, fennels, oakmoss, lavender, obscure spices and mastering fir resin in order to exhale a cool vintage-leathery aromatic whiff that is combined with the modern suede, jasmine, quince paste, bitter alcoholic elements, a touch of balsams and creamy smoke. The fragrance keeps a certain level of dryness and is pleasant, softly leathery, vaguely fruity and dark. The note of patchouli is the masculine scale of elements and the link among those. Several woody patterns provide structure and woodsy mildness to the base. The wake is an alternation of soapy, resinous/leathery and dry-floral chic whiffs. Dark modernism is focused on the combination of rhubarb, jasmine, quince paste, aromatic absinth-fennels, smoky suede and balsams. Yes, an alternative for a romantic spring time night out.

01st June, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th July, 2014)