Fragrance Reviews from June 2011

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Chypré Fruité by Montale

I was prepared for an assault of the fruity kind but was taken aback by this rather subdued yet sophisticated interpretation of the classic chypre. The start may seem a little fusty with a powdery veil over a dusty fruit peel accord but as it warms up on the skin, the powder fades and the chypre accord takes over. CHYPRE FRUITE may not have the same depth of character as Guerlain's legendary Mitsouko, but the quality of composition is something I can appreciate even if the scent itself speaks to me of an acquired taste.

alfarom's avatar

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

Chevrefeuille, In my opinion, is one of the best composition in the Creed's range. Green, floral, refined, unique and absolutely unisex. It opens with a captivating blast of honeysuckle leaves mixed with green notes and immediately enriched by a slight floral accord that stays quite linear for a couple of hours. Liqorice plays hide and seek throughout the fragrance evolution providing a delicate and aromatic extra touch.

While this composition takes the distance from other classics from the same house (i.e. Aventus, SMW, GIT) at the same time it won't disappoint the Creed's purists as the whole perfume structure is built on the usual ambergis base. Even if this time, it feeels like ambergis is kind of lurking in the back as if were a signature printed with the invisible ink. Recommended.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

Wow. It's been a while since I last smelled a patchouli scent as robust. There is a dark green almost herbal quality to it that makes 'PATCHOULI LEAVES' such an appropriate name. I find it rather chypre-like to be honest, with a simmering warmth that is just shy of sweetness. One marketing spiel even has it described as 'patchouli leaves macerated over two years in an oak trunk.' For once, I don't find all that hard to believe - the oak wood is indeed prominent. It does however veer towards the masculine side of things though chypre-wearing ladies should not find it too difficult to wear. Projection and tenacity is Montale-certified, giving this superlative fragrance an emphatic 'two thumbs up'.

silversurfer's avatar

Dunhill d by Dunhill

duh... nhill I don't get this one. Not bad, but very generic. I smell the rosewood and mandarain orange, & a hint of cypress in top notes, but can't pick out the jasmine. Fades so quickly, I can't quite make out the heart or base notes, even after multiple applications, with my nose next to my skin. Given to me probably 12 years ago; wouldn't have bought it for myself.

alfarom's avatar

Fumidus by Profumum

The notes list is promising the scent is definitely disappointing. Ok, there are three ways to approach this review for me:

1) Great perfume if you like to burn wet vetiver roots in the fireplace (translated: A LOT OF SMOKE) while drinking some Scotch and in the meantime you don't realize your place is going on fire.

2) great perfume if you want to smell like you've just been rescued from you mountain hut that has gone on fire.

3) great perfume if you like to set fire to the trashcan where you have wasted an old vetiver fragrance gone bad.

To me it simply smells horrible, unpleasant and definitely unbalanced on the smoky side. Sorry, I've to pass on this one.

Pasha by Cartier

The gentle opening was rather interesting but the drydown reminds me too much of Chanel Allure pour Homme, one I really dont like..

It often happens in life that we have to pay for someone else's faults..so do fragrances sometimes..

Roadster by Cartier

I didn't think I could like a mint centered scent like Roadster but have to admit it's actually not that bad. Its freshness is tempered, earthy, soft and dry at the same time.

Not sure I'd use a full bottle, but the composition, especially in its heart and base notes, is interesting and intriguing enough to give it at least a good try.

PS. Longevity could be improved though..

No. 18 by Chanel

Chanel N°18 smells like the color yellow!
    It's like summer in a bottle.
    One of the most original and unique of
    the Exclusifs.
    N°18 is a strange fragrance, and I fully
    advise y'all, to sample before buying, as
    this will not please all - far from it!

N°18 is not the strongest of juices, and
    it has a reputation of having poor longe-
    vity. Since it's as faint as it is, I simply
    spray more times, and that way, I easily
    get 6+ hours of decent longevity with
    good sillage, too. It doesn't deserve its
    rep.

As with most, if not all, of the frags in
    this line, this one can be worn by a man,
    as it is quite unisex - leaning towards the
    feminine side, though.

Two thumbs up!

Bois des Îles by Chanel

Les Exclusifs.

Bois des Îles does indeed smell like Égoïste,
    or more correctly, the other way around.

I have nothing bad to say about the frag
    itself, but, it has really poor longevity.

wyldaeval's avatar

Jasmal by Creed

Heavenly, gently intoxicating scent. Feels like I'm back in Cali on a warm summer evening inhaling the wonderful night-blooming jasmine that surrounded my balcony. Unfortunately, the scent from the flowers lasted longer.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Let me quote Tott's review 6 places below mine:

'Today's Cuir de Russie is like a fine leather saddle
    soaked with sweat, rather than a luxurious leather
    jacket or car interior.'

Perfectly stated!

Two thumbs up!

lovetoread's avatar

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

I fell in love with this scent when my sister purchased the Karma cream for me. It smells fresh and lovely, has some staying power. Yummy!

barclaydetolly's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I like Creed a lot. I enjoy reading about Creed's history; I think a majority of the Creed scents I've tried smell interesting, distinctive, and pleasant; and I even think Creed's prices are fair, if high. Millesime Imperial is, to me, one of the great fragrances of all time. But please believe me on this point: on some people, including myself, Bois du Portugal smells disgusting. I cannot stress this point enough. I only wore it once, and recoiled in horror because it was so gross. My girlfriend at the time smelled it and told me, flat out, "If you ever wear that again, I'm breaking up with you." I think Bois du Portugal smells like the clothes in an old man's dirty closet that has not been aired out in years.

06 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2011)

Santos by Cartier

There is a difference between old-fashioned and out-dated, and to me Santos definitely falls in the latter category..

Seriously..this smells like it belongs in a different geological era entirely..

Inexplicable to me how this may be worn today

06 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 June, 2011)

barclaydetolly's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is a great scent; you may not love it, but I can't imagine anyone hating it. When I first tried Concentre d'Orange Verte, I thought, "Okay, it's bitter orange. big deal." After a few wearings, I started smelling more to it -- maybe an undercurrent of bitter lemon or some other related citrus fruits. Mind you, I'm not a fan of most citrus scents (I don't like Eau d'Hadrien and its ilk), but this is much, much more complex. Bottom line, it smells refreshing and pleasant, and is perfect for daily use. The only drawback is that it disappears relatively quickly (on me, in about three hours).

06 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 November, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Back to Black by By Kilian

It smells like wax and honey, and is kind of a vintage one because of the decadent vibe elicited by the bergamot-chamomile chord. The juice is leathery-animalic (reminding me barely the classic Arrogance Pour Homme in the dry down) but not brewing. This is almost a semi-gourmand fragrance, it's a sort of syrupy honeyed blend of faint patchouli, barely whispered honey (wax?), vanilla and tobacco with an hint of closing vetiver and ethereal camomil. The last two ingredients, thanks God, link this cream to the olfactory universe being this one otherwise too mellow and tasty you to forbear of drinking it. The mellowness is not a sort of addle one, this must be stressed, nothing pungent or dissonant in the composition and the final decadent suede is linear and silky. This fragrance is in substance a slightly aromatized sort of honeyed cream with some nuances of liquor and i see the association with some Lutens creations as Fumerie Turque ( but as said without that level of smoke) and Arabie ( but not so fruited). Dramatically good but lacking of that level of boldness, complexity, particularity and craftmenship to be a favourite of mine. The longevity is not at level of the high price.

06 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 September, 2012)

wyldaeval's avatar

Avatar by Coty

I first smelled this on a coworker and asked what it was. Later, I noticed I'd try to "get a whiff" of him every time he passed by...so I had to get my hubby a bottle. For an inexpensive cologne I think it's wonderfully clean and sexy.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Initial notes are like many other fragrances, including YSL Rive Gauche. The citrus notes are there, but fade fast. The fragrance comes into it's own on dry down, smoky middle notes give way to saw dust and incense, in the ballpark of Tauer LDDM, but more subtle. Nice.

lovetoread's avatar

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

Am very new to all this and purchased this from a catalog (a blind buy, perhaps unwise as I'm beginning to learn) believing it was the original. Evidently not. In any case, a tad offensive when first applied but better throughout the day. I haven't learned to distinguish one note from another yet so can't comment more extensively. I won't purchase like this again! I suppose we "live and learn" in this new fascination/obsession.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

As others have stated, department store cologne meets dad's aftershave. Very comfortable, very familiar, almost too familiar? Not overly exciting, but a thumbs up because it's pleasant enough.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

I am one of those who rave about this fragrance. Nothing at the local department store smells anything like it - incense, sawdust, vanilla, cedar - all are hot buttons for me. Got a sample and placed an order a few days later. Top 5 for me.

shamu1's avatar

Cabaret Homme by Grès

I love this! I agree that it starts off smelling a lot like Drakkar Noir, but after a few minutes it evolves into something different. It's certainly an aromatic fougere, that's for sure, but it's spicier, woodier and not as dark as Drakkar Noir. Cabaret PH smells very much like Tribute by Mary Kay, only much better blended and a lot less synthetic smelling. Or maybe Drakkar Noir with much less leather and more sandalwood?

I am amazed that this is a 2004 release, because I'd swear this was from the Eighties. It smells like there's moss and a little leather in this, but they are not listed as ingredients; the sandalwood and patchouli give this a very old-school Eighties style. If wearing stuff like Sung Homme, Drakkar Noir or Giorgio For Men is your thing, you'll feel right at home wearing this.

This is a substantial and very masculine scent, almost reaching powerhouse strength. It projects well and lasts all day, yet it isn't heavy and it won't take your head off.

Cabaret Pour Homme may not be anything unique, but it smells awesome and has the added bonus of costing very little. Fans of 80's styled masculine colognes are sure to like this. I sure do.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

scentimus's avatar

Elements Aqua by Hugo Boss

Maybe it is me but this smell just like the original 360 Perry Ellis for men. I think 360 was even launched before Elements Aqua.....so much for originality here.

odessa's avatar

Perversion by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

tobacco, rum, leather and woods. smells fab, but quite synthetic. sometimes i get a whiff of sherry rather than rum. when i wear it, people often ask if i'm wearing coconut oil. i can't smell coconut in perversion, but it's obviously there.

my fave bpal scent.

Pasionaria's avatar

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Am I the only woman wearing this? I really enjoy it, it is perfect for spring, with rosemary and sage and all things fresh and clean it uplifts me and makes me feel comfortable

mumsy's avatar

Civet by Houbigant

This review is for the oil, and it is one of the most mysterious and fascinating scents of all time. The smell envelopes you like the catty part of Jasmine sambac, oh so gently, but then the shy animal emerges and takes hold of you and won't let you go. It is flowers, fur and nuzzled warmth, all rolled into one. A comfortable smell like no other. This one is animal and sexy and gentle all at the same time. They don't make them like this any more.

I used to wear the Ambergris in this series long ago. That has the same fascination in a different way.

mumsy's avatar

Moss Breches by Tom Ford

I haven't smelled Tom Ford perfumes before and I had high hopes indeed. I obviously shouldn't have started with this one... The sticky, mossy, honey opening makes me feel like I am actually experiencing genuine perfume nausea. The spice is dominating everything that should be nice on my skin at the start. After the stickiness subsides, the fruitier notes emerge and I can see the old spice similarity. It does improve marginally towards the end. My overall feeling is of a mismatched jumble of clashing notes. It is possibly one of the few perfumes that has actually turned my stomach and I have to wash it off. It gets a prize for that. I can't take any more of it.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Vetiver 46 by Le Labo

Vetiver 46, by Mark Buxton, is an undisguised recycling of his earlier Comme des Garçons 2 Man (2004). Nevertheless, it smells good. It re-works the same incense theme as in the CdG scent, but here – perversely – with less vetiver and an unexpected, more tenacious, cosy oriental drydown. Think: extinguished candles and vanilla ice cream.

kewart's avatar

Douceur de Vanille by Les Néréides

I find this scent to be both comforting and alluring.
    It makes the wearer seem approachable.

magali's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia by Guerlain

Finally got my hands on this one!!! A whole 125ml bottle of it! For years I had longed to get it as I remembered the smell from a small sampling I had got ages ago.
    Now some people might say that there is an element of cat pee in it but that's part of the deal. Beside our house in the South of France, a neighbour had a hedge with white waxy flowers which turned into sticky seeds (choisya I believe) and that's exactly the smell you get. To me it's one of the stronger AAs, to be handled with care but it's definitely worth it. I believe Orange blossom is back in fashion but this one is a turbo blast of Eau de fleur d'oranger with almost a "frangipane" finish (the almond paste you get in Galette des Rois cake). Sweet indeed but in a sharp way.