Fragrance Reviews from June 2011

JT3D's avatar

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

Eau Sauvage with a touch of leather......how can you go wrong! however, it's no longer listed on Dior's website so I wonder if it's been discontinued, so sad if it has :-(

Chasing the Dragon's avatar

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

A pleasant surprise, this little gem. Dark yet polite. Fairly dry, but reminds me a bit of the scent of (dark) chocolate-covered orange sticks. Very happy with this discovery.

Chasing the Dragon's avatar

Aramis Cool Blend by Aramis

Not bad; smells surprisingly similar to the original Aramis. Sort of a lighter, more citrus-infused version. Worth checking out if you are a fan of the original and would like to experience it from a different angle. Between the two, I prefer the original.

JackTwist's avatar

Verde by L'Erbolario

This is a marvelous summer cologne. Masculine, sophisticated, a mere touch of sweetness witih an underlying dryness. Quite unlike anything I've ever tried before and totally refreshing.

Very hard to identify any ingredients - it does not resemble anything I've tried in the past.

I recommend you try one of the less expensive items in the range -soap or men's face cream before you invest in the cologne. L'Erbolario is not always consistent in using the same scent throughout a range, but they are with this one. The face cream decided it for me.

[Beware their Myrtle - the soap scent resembles Magno, but the cologne is vile - one of the strongest cyphres I've ever encountered. Nothing like the soap scent- I returned it.]

shamu1's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Do you like Brut? Do you like patchouli? Do you like masculine fragrances that smell really masculine? Then you're sure to like Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

I applaud any designer that has the balls to release a fragrance like this today. Rive Gauche is a total throwback to the 1970s, when big fat spicy aromatic fougeres were all the rage. If you've never smelled this, imagine what Brut would smell like if you added a lot more patchouli to it, as well as a little bit of clove to give it more teeth. That's basically what Rive Gauche smells like to me.

The drydown is incredible: dusky patchouli with a touch of talc and musk to give it a bit of sweetness and a barbershop edge. This is YSL''s concept of an aromatic fougere updated for the 2000's.

This is an outstanding fragrance. There is nothing even remotely trendy about it. It's all man, and it's all classic. It is one of the greatest aromatic fougeres ever, and should be a staple in every man's fragrance wardrobe.

MY RATING: 9/10

Fiorichiari by L'Erbolario

Joyful fruity-floral with the ethereal touch of rose, the delicacy of lily of the valley and the fresh and dreamy touch of peony that impresses a breeze of summer to the smell (in some aquatics the peony is used). I smell some citrus, an hint of resin and may be the addition of a peach whisper. Not bad.

huiyt's avatar

Revelation by CB I Hate Perfume

Smells like urine on me. A scrubber...

huiyt's avatar

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

All I smell is one note: pink grapefruit, juicy and very natural. Perfect on a really hot, humid summer day!

alfarom's avatar

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

An African friend of mine gifted me of a small votive statue representing a young lady bringing a baby on her back. It celebrates prosperity and it's entirely carved into ebanum. It has the typical woody spicy smell that makes me think about Africa and it's exactly the same smell I get when I smell Idole.

This marvellous composition by Olivia Giacobetti opens with a boozy Rum note that evaporates very quickly leaving Ebanum, Saffron and Cumin enough space to show up. In this extremely woody and spicy phase Idole reminded me of some of the CDG classic fragrances (CDG original and White). Despite they don't share many similiarities I find them to be very close in structure, being great examples of a modern interpretation of the woody-spicy oriental theme.

The Rum note appears again in the middle phase adding a slight boozy effect that is at the same time pleasant and compelling. In the drydonw (not too distant from Eldo's Tom Of Finland) saffron and a clean leather note bring the fragrance into a very comfortable territory made of warmness and refined sophistication. Marketed as a maculine fragrance I believe it could also do miracles on a woman. Highly recommended.

Grottola's avatar

Sand & Sable by Coty

Bah, nasty.

I smell watermelon, aldehydes, and a faint banana-type note. One of a few fragrances I actually rushed to the sink to wash off immediately.

Armani by Giorgio Armani

This was the first perfume I ever bought... I remember the bottle was expensive and, well, I loved the fragrance so much that I barely used it (I know, makes no sense). I still have 1/4 of the bottle in my cabinet. It's precious stuff ! Still smells wonderful............

Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia

I was looking for a long time for a replacement for this perfume, which was unfortunately discontinued... Until I smelled Coco I was in love with Teatro... My second perfume purchase ever.

Perry Ellis for Women (original) by Perry Ellis

I wore this perfume for 10 years non-stop... Until it got discontinued... And I started trying to find my new signature scent, which I haven't really found since. This is by far the best Perry Ellis fragrance in my view.

Orangerie by L'Erbolario

Fragranza writes right, the dry down of this one reminds the taste of an orangy marmelade. Pleasant as many products from l'Erbolario and unexpensive. This is a blend of citrus, woodsy notes, musk and spices (nutmeg and cinnamon). Longevity and sillage are more than good despite the low price.

13 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2011)

Foustie's avatar

Scotland Scotland

1804 by Histoires de Parfums

Pineapple.... I shouldn't like this but I do. "Fruity" immediately makes me think of the profusion of jelly bean flavoured fragrances that are around just now. Maybe it makes you think that too? But put that thought aside. 1804 has a beautiful opening. Flowers and fruit, mainly pineapple and peach. Then the pineapple dominates for some time before a drydown of lovely peachy vanilla with some soft spice, which is very like 1969 from the same range. Too fruity for me to choose to wear it, but great fun to try, and to appreciate. Scrumptious.

13 June, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 March, 2012)

Saintpaulia's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

What is this Sycamore note we keep hearing about? I know sycamore trees. Some of my best tree friends have been sycamores. A garden on the Nile does not smell of sycamores! because why? because there ARE NO sycamores on the Nile.

EugeniaLOL's avatar

Sentiment for Men by Escada

My newbie nose smells generic but pleasant lime on top for about ten, maybe fifteen minutes -- then a very nice synthetic sandalwood that I suspect is mostly Iso-E-Super . . . which makes it something I quite like. Not much else. Good for layering, as it plays nice with others, being simple.

melodyjayne's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

Most beautiful fragrance. reminds me a little of Ysatis?
    Energetic opening bursting with peachy adelhydes,
    quickly softens to a gentle flowery heart of ylang ylang and roses.
    This fragrance continues to develop into a delicious sandalwood with the merest hint of civet which helps to deepen and keep the heart of this alive. Teamed with the base is just to die for!
    Love my sample, will be buying a bottle asap

pyttlc's avatar

China China

Rouge by Christian Lacroix

i like the bottle design.For the scent, i feel it very orange, very green and quite sharp. Not my taste. White pepper... i'd rather prefer pink pepper.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Timberline by Dana

I hate the cheap opening, strong alcohol with hints of citric/herbal notes and then dies down to almost nothing, suddenly a overly sweet vanilla/musk takes over and would not let go. Where is the wood???, Timberline is a missnomer since there is no wood in here.
    After a while I got a headache nauseated by the cloying sweetness of this concoction.
    No wander it got discontinued.

melliferam's avatar

Black Tuberose by Black Gardenia - Michele Bergman

Surprisingly light and cool on first application which i had not expected in such an expensive perfume oil. It quickly warms and expands on the skin, but not before i had dabbed on more thinking otherwise i would hardly notice it. So be warned dont overdo it without giving the oil a few minutes to develop on your skin. Once awakened this is a fresh fruity floral, rather lovely and not the heady fragrance i was expecting.
    I would definitely give it the thumbs up and will certainly enjoy all of my sample. However at $120 at 1/2 oz I probably wont spring for the whole bottle.

easycesco's avatar

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

This ELDO's fragance is brilliant and original. Mandarine, Immortelle and candied ginger. It smell of summer, but i like it in winter also. Wonderful!

Bergamot by L'Erbolario

On the same vein of Bergamot Tea by L'Occitane, Bergamot Ava lux that i prefer for sure and some far more complex Hermes or Annick Goutal, this is an unexpensive citrus fragrance based on sour fruity notes, green and woodsy elements. I smell some pine needles and may be an hint of vetiver. It fades soon. I prefer others from l'Erbolario.

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

Very sharp and pungent vetiver opening. Unlike most vetivers though that accentuate this with citrus notes, I like what ELDO does by complimenting this with vanilla and myrrh accords. After drydown it remains pretty linear vetiver accords with hints of myrrh tickling the nose. A very nice new take on vetiver.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Wow. Vile and repulsive is all I can say about this one. One sweet, bloody, metallic concoction that literally made me gag upon smelling it. It is literally nauseating on me and I wanted to wash it off after the first 15 minutes. Let it settle for hours, but still was vile to me and basically because a oversweet, powdery mess that I could detect the blood and metallic components throughout.

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

Ginger and pumpkin top accords that is complimented by citrus notes. Sounds sweet, but it not overpowering as I hate over the top sweetness. Settles down to some floral and a little woody drydown that the pumpkin notes still wafer up occasionally. This definitely leans more on the feminine side of the unisex line, but it is something that I didn’t mind wearing and quite enjoyed. I did find that it is quite strong stuff and projects well in addition.

Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow by Etat Libre d'Orange

A sharp blast of sweetness accompanied by aldehydes greets you on this one. Becomes a heavy floral as it progresses. Very feminine, but overall not that interesting and just too heavy on the florals. A little powdery as well, which for me, when combined with florals is just too much.

lovetoread's avatar

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

A lovely, lovely fragrance that someone here on Basenotes suggested after I revealed that I'm a complete novice with all this! I stated that I like things musky, and this scent is gorgeous. I still have a nose that doesn't know one note from another, largely, so I can't explain the nuances, but the subtlety of the musk is wonderful. I put this on this morning and had a beautiful, but soft whiff for 4 or 5 hours, and now the scent is lighter, more close to the skin, but still wonderful. Our weather here in Nation's Capital is often quite hot and humid during summer, and I'm glad to find this scent is substantial but not heavy or overpowering. There's something alluring but comfortable about it -- very, very nice. Thanks to all who are suggesting fragrances for me to try.

roman_nik's avatar

Fougères Marines by Montale

Nothing to add really other than what has been said. It's a safe scent. Nothing special imo. I keep trying the sample and if simply fails to impress me in any way. It also reminds me of Polo Sport way too much. Not a good thing as when I was growing up the whole school (1997-1998) smelled like Polo Sport.

alfarom's avatar

Hot Leather by Mark Buxton

I'm still convinced that Mark Buxton delivers much better fragrances when he is committed by other brands than when he creates them for his own, and in this context "Hot Leather" makes no exception.

A floral leather (?) composition that instead of recallilng luxury shows an overall decadence that's quite far from being compelling. Mr. Buxton describe his composition as "an evening at the Moulin Rouge!", and that's perfect if you're obsessed with hookers dancing the can-can.