Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

bkfist's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Vile, retched, cloying. Had this years ago, sampled in the store, thought it was wonderful. Bought a bottle, wore it 5 times, each time the scent got more and more cloying.

Just revisited the scent 2 weeks ago while in a store, it's just as thick and nauseating as I remember it from years ago.

I would seriously rather be doused in Secretions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange than to have a single spray of this on my skin... Heck, If I had to work with someone who wore this stuff, I'd be splashing SM on my upper lip in a futile attempt to mask the A-Men the other person was wearing.

Darvant's avatar

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The name of the scent is eloquent, this one is an untamed rooty vetiver blended with herbs, roots, woods, dark fruits and a bit of final powder (frankincense) just in order to rise, soar and separate the molecules of the  earthy botanic elements than ready to fly as a dusty wind of wet earth. Surly fragrance. The beginning reminds me a bit that one of another untamed vetiver, the Etro's one that is a bit more aromatic, green and mild fragrance. This kind of starting, may be too daring, is almost off-putting because is harshly herbal and decidedly medicinal due to the rising influence of some bitter-mild fruits (may be obscure berries). The initial turbolence starts slowly to lower its strength while a woody kind of mildness and the dry dust of frankincense start rising. The final dust, lost the fruity-medicinal temperament, projects in the air a slightly resinous, woodsy and mild-bitter whiff.

Fleurine's avatar

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is my story. I walked into Barney's on Madison Avenue, I told the SA I was looking for a nice vanilla, she handed me this first. I smelled it. I bought it, and I left.
    I've never smelled anything remotely similar. If you like vanilla/saffron perfection, you have come to the right place. Get this one.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Ciel Man by Amouage

While the other Amouages that I've smelled have all delivered a shock-and-awe blitzkrieg on the olfactory senses, Ciel is a gentle kitten invasion, and yet is still overwhelmingly unique.

I share many of the opinions found in these reviews, and often find myself envisioning blue skies, beaches, clouds, and flowery breezes. Rose and lavender do occasionally become SLIGHTLY focused, as does the Frankenstein, but overall the superb blending has made Ciel its own entity. There are also moments when Ciel feels soapy, but not like any other fragrance. It's more like really expensive soap you might use at a beach side resort in the Caribbean.

mickers's avatar

Vetiver Dance by Tauer

Vetiver dance is amazing! Unlike any other vetiver I have tried but still keeping itself grounded with the vetiver note. It moves with herbs and spices at the top with a touch of sweetness and as the hours go on you realize the sweetness is an ambrien accord like that in ambre narguile. Not as in your face and remaining soothing and comforting with soft vetiver dancing with the sweetness!

MysteryBuff40's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Washing your hands and face with Irish Spring soap will produce approximately the same result as spraying on Calvin Klein's Eternity.

Eternity also shares many similarities with Mugler Cologne. They could be brothers.

Overall, I couldn't get past my association of this scent with the soap or cleaning products used in public restrooms, perhaps at a mid- to upscale restaurant.

It's a fresh, clean scent, but in an industrial kind of way. Something you might expect poured out of a 50 gallon drum.

Swanky's avatar

Fire & Ice for Men by Revlon

Fire & Ice subverts some of my olfactory idiosyncrasies. It is quite sweet, yet not at all cloying. It's not a vanilla cake batter sweetness but a powdered candy one. Cherry is what I come up with. Cherry and light florals. How the heck is this not a disaster? Actually, it's pretty nice.

The bottle is unpromising with it's gimcrack opaque plastic cap and dull clear glass container yet it doesn't smell like a cheap, about-to-fall-apart mess. One would expect lousy longevity from something so mild and sweet, yet it lasts all day and at near full strength to boot. The price is very reasonable.

What I like most, however, is the unique character. I can't think of another men's fragrance (or even one from the ladies' aisle) that smells like this. It's totally inoffensive and can be worn any time of the year. In my opinion, this would be a great starter fragrance for a young man in high school: no one else would have it yet it's not old school. The sweet quality would probably appeal to the young 'uns as well.

Vitamin B Complex's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

I first found out about The Dreamer through Youtube reviewers and it got a very good reaction on there, so I bought a 100ml bottle based off that.

I was aware of the dreaded opening before I smelled it so when I received my bottle in the mail and sprayed it, I was expecting a blast of synthetics and chemicals. It didn't smell like that at all. It was strong but enjoyable. Very floral to my nose but not feminine. After around 20 minutes it calms down and starts to form into a beautiful, relaxing scent. It is aptly named, it makes you want to close your eyes and fall asleep. This fragrance gets better the longer it is on your skin, the smell just becomes more beautiful, it eventually develops into a tobacco smell. It is a yummy smell, that's the best word I can use to describe it, girls love this fragrance. It is also not widely used.

Projection and longevity on this are tough for me to call. When I first wore it I got 10 hours on my skin, although now I feel it doesn't give me as long. Maybe it does and my nose is just used to it?

The bottle is also very nice and looks good on my desk with my other fragrances.

Overall I would say this is a definite buy, it is cheap but could easily be priced at 50 pounds a bottle and would still sell. One of my favourite fragrances. Versatile, good (sometimes) projection, nice bottle, cheap, could be a signature scent, it does everything you want. 10/10.

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

One of the best designer-scents on the market. Sweet tobacco over dark plum and dried fruits. Classical, elegant, and very refined. Aahh..-It`s marvellous!

SpiritOfGonzo's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Disgusting on skin and on paper, I can't get past the sickly sweet bakery notes. Confounds me that people continue to buy it.

jcastano's avatar

Unforgivable Multi Platinum by Sean John

Multi-Platinum is essentially a middle ground between Millesime Imperial and the original Sean John Unforgivable. It has that same Unforgivable DNA but with a more fresher quality. The green birch leaf and florals are tuned down and the grapefruit and other citrus notes are amped up. Imagine the saltiness and bright, fresh watermelon/citrus vibe from MI and mix that with the rum, amber, and spiciness of the original Unforgivable, and there you have it. There really isn't much else going on aside from what I've already stated. Surprisingly, it also lasts a lot longer and has better sillage than the original. I also find this really similar to Love and Luck by Ed Hardy, just with an added booziness. If you can find this fairly priced, get it! Otherwise, for the price that people are selling this bad boy for, you can probably get MI, which is a obviously better but not by much. It's perfect for summer, warmer weather, and can be used by anyone and any age in casual attire or formal. There's great versatility with this one and I received a lot of positive attention! It's too bad I had to sell my bottle but I look forward to finding this again someday! My final rating B+

penelopeanne's avatar

Spain Spain

Scent by Theo Fennell

I was put off by the negative reviews but decided to 'buy and try'. WOW! This is a fabulous scent. Certainly not one for the girlies who rely on the latest designer 'in ' smells but an exotic classical scent for a woman! Initially a warm floral hit then mellowing into a sumptuous sexy aroma. Expensive and elegant. Timeless. I usually like Lanvin's Arpege or Chanel's 5. Bal a Versailles and Creeds Bulgarie. This is for me an equal. Keep on making it Theo, but, hopefully not too many others will catch on leaving us that love it exclusive!!!

mitoken's avatar

Notre Flore Cedre / Cedar by L'Occitane

If you rate a scent by how others respond....this one always gets very positive comments! The cedar sings true, but soft spoken. It LASTS and lasts, but not in a over powering way.

hollyc's avatar

L'Air de Nina Ricci by Nina Ricci

Very surprised by this. Now I have only tried it from a scent strip from a magazine, but find it irresistable. The florals are soft and creamy, and smell natural. I get no chemical in this demure beauty at all. It has lovely sillage, I smell it constantly but I don't think it would be in anyone else's face unless overapplied. The drydown keeps the floral bouquet soft and sexy and segues into what I perceive as musk, but I see from the notes above, it is Palisander and Patchouli. For those who dislike patchouli, I personally didn't smell it at all. I usually dislike delicate florals/musk as I often detect an unpleasant chemical twang, but not with this. A delightful discovery and I think I will add it to my bulging collection. I can't see this not appealing to every age group, but it might be more of a favorite for the younger crowd. Very nice indeed.

Darvant's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is a notorious fragrance that is a cologne in execution with its natural smell, its watery temperament, the abundant usage of citrus, its touch of vintage but timeless quality and exoticism. This cologne exudes the smell of a large forest of citrus very green and deep whose you inhale the fruity-green smell while drinking a tropical cocktail, watching from the high level of a farm house the work of agrarians engaged in picking up oranges, mandarins and lemons. It's like to rub your hands with leaves of citrus (orange basically) and inhaling deeply
    the odour. There is a clear mentholated-icy element that impresses a certain dosage of energy to the initial citrus-exotic fruity accord. The minty and citrusy freshness goes blending with the tropical taste of papaya ( harder to perceive mango) issueing a marvellous invigorating juice. Some green elements enhance the botanic temperament of this complex potion till the final touch of woodsy oakmoss and the fundamental bold hint of dry patchouli. I agree who with writes that the faint longevity is proper of a cologne and due to its role (there is a Concentre' version that smells as an eau de toilette). This is a fragrance of great quality and genius that is perfect for any occasion, projecting the image of a charismatic, lively and globe-trotter character.

chet31's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Tar and industrial notes, a cousin of Bvlgari Black, but I prefer the latter. A better name for this might be L'Aire du Desert Oilfield. I respect the attempt, and it's definitely something different, but I don't want to smell like this.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

One of the ingredients used In PAESTUM ROSE is reported to be 'davana', a naturally derived substance prized for its tendency to react with the wearer's skin and alter fragrance nuances. Perhaps there is some truth to this claim for on my skin the fragrance develops a little differently - doughy at first, with a musky undertone that surprisingly borders on the animalic, before settling down to a soft woodsy rose and finally fading to a refined skin musk.

Imminently wearable, if a little laid-back. The opening might be a little funky to me but at least it adds some character, had it all but persisted longer into the development. Unfortunately Paestum Rose, with its Sunday grocery list of notes, suffers from 'overblending' and fails to break free of the comfort zone. No wonder it usually gets overlooked.

Notes:

davana, cinnamon, pepper, coriander, black currant buds, Turkish rose, peony, incense, osmanthus, elemi, tea, papyrus, benzoin, myrrh, opoponax, vetiver, patchouli, cedar, wenge wood, amber and white musk.

cello's avatar

24, Faubourg Eau Délicate by Hermès

This Hermes carries their signature austere, yet classy smell all the way through. It is a beauty of a light orange blossom scent - airy enough for summer heat and classic enough to pull off a more formal event. It is short lasting and soft, but that is exactly what it was designed for.

A wonderful spring or summer scent if you like orange blossom fragrances. A little sharp white floral, but rounded out well for everyday use.

Orfamay's avatar

The Penitent Magdalen by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Truthfully, I only ordered this for the name! And then regretted the splurge--until it arrived. Lily that's decidedly not funereal, which is hard to do, and soft woods with a touch of sweetness. It quickly develops a powdery quality. I wish it lasted a tad longer; but that's my sole complaint, and that's my complaint with all my favourite fragrances.

chet31's avatar

Incense Extrême by Tauer

I did not like this at first. However, the more I tried it the more I liked it. Also, the more it dries down, the more the pure incense note comes through, and the more I like it. However, early on, there is a "green" note that interferes with the incense note, that I don't care for. This may have been why my initial reaction was negative. Wear this a few times, and let it dry down, before making a judgment.

Orfamay's avatar

Katharina by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

I've been looking for an apricot fragrance and this is certainly apricot, but sharply so. It's actually too fruity for me, strange to say when I was looking specifically for the apricot note, but it does soften into something glowy and golden, which happens very quickly. I'm surprised BPAL perfume oils don't have much longevity. At first dab it's very room oil diffuser. I like the dry down very much, but it hovers between skin scent and imperceptible.

01st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 03rd July, 2011)

Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I am happy finally to have had the opportunity to try Isaac Miyake LE FEU D'ISSEY, and now I know why it was discontinued. The problem is that during the first few, crucial—at the counter and deciding whether to buy—moments, this composition smells not at all unlike mildewy, rotting wet wood. After several minutes it becomes clear that this is a deep and dark absinthe/wormwood creation, with a lot of appeal for those who appreciate woody oriental perfumes with a masculine bent. But the opening is such a turn-off during those “decision-making” minutes that I definitely understand why many potential buyers would have been dissuaded from giving this worthy creation its full due—or a second sniff.

Once the fragrance has fully developed, it is a big, beautiful, dark woody perfume with a somewhat overwhelming sillage, given how out of the ordinary the scent itself is. I would compare the overall effect to that of freshly cut mahogany chips soaked in absinthe and then set out under the hot sun to dry (so that the alcohol all evaporates away). The longevity is impressive. The sheer eccentricity of this composition probably explains its discontinuation as well, since it really smells nothing like the standard categories of feminine perfumes. I would not be at all surprised if some women who purchased FEU D'ISSEY scent unsniffed—or received it as a gift—ended up passing it on to their husband. That's how masculine this so-called feminine composition is. Without having read the entry in The Guide, I am surmising that this one got rave reviews, since LT (a man) happens to favor perfumes with a masculine edge—imagine that!

Benetroessere Relent by Etro

After opening with a marked albeit short-lived citrus demeanor, Etro RELENT becomes essentially a floral woody musk fragrance. Through the middle stage, there is a touch of a tarrish note which seems similar to the one found in the drydown of LOLITA LEMPICKA, but for the most part the musk dominates. Eventually, in the drydown, RELENT manifests a slightly ambery quality, but it is quite subtle, so I wouldn't call this an amber or oriental perfume by any stretch of the imagination.

The florals in this composition are rather, as they say, “abstract,” meaning not easy to discern much less identify. Everything is so finely blended together by the end that RELENT becomes virtually a skin scent. I would recommend this composition to people who really love musk, since that's the star of the show. There are some brief appearances of other detectable components, but they are all rather short-lived. The musk, in contrast, abides on and on, becoming lightly tinged with amber in the drydown...

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

CORSO COMO 10 occupies the same olfactory neighborhood as FEU D'ISSEY, but is said to be for men not women (QED). The story here is strong spicy woodiness. The source of the spice is incense/oud and the dominant wood is sandalwood. The overall feeling is very warm and powerful, as this eau de parfum has real heft with fairly big sillage. CC 10 is a good example of a wrist sniffer that is not at all sweet. The composition really has an addictive quality such that I find my nose naturally drawn to me wrists despite the cloud of sillage. This is a substantive woody oriental that I'd love to add to my collection for cold weather wear. Indisputably unisex, CC 10 would work for anyone who likes FEU D'ISSEY, and also some who do not, since the troubling wet-woody opening is nowhere to be found here. No, not at all.

Gocce di Napoleon by Morris

GOCCE DI NAPOLEON does not, as its name might suggest, smell like pure, uncut testosterone but is instead a unique floriental perfume with initially dominant notes of hyacinth and rhubarb—or reasonable facsimiles! There is definitely a strong hyacinth scent and a rhubarbish green yet ever so tangy and crunchy quality in the opening of this composition—whatever may really account for these scents, I like them a lot. GdiN becomes more oriental and dark in the drydown, with diminished florality and the emergence of what appears to be pepper and possibly a touch of leather along with some sort of dark wood.

What I do not find here at all is anything at all very sweet: and no vanilla, in particular. Although the opening seems somewhat feminine to me, the drydown becomes far more masculine, as though Napoleon arrived home after one of his military adventures to usurp Josephine of her domestic authority. The servants suddenly turn all of their attention to the little emperor, ignoring the fair lady of the house. I like both the Josephine and the Napoleon phases of GOCCI DI NAPOLEON and would happily wear this perfume, if I had a bottle.

Sergio Tacchini Donna by Sergio Tacchini

To my nose, Sergio Tacchini DONNA is a pleasant dried-floral composition with a typically Italian feeling similar to what I've encountered from the house of Lancetti. I've noticed that the solvents used in certain Italian perfumes have a specific quality that makes these perfumes seem rather similar to one another whatever the particular floral notes may be. In this composition I believe that some greener elements such as hyacinth are present, in addition to a bouquet of other low-key, dried flowers. DONNA is the first perfume that I've sniffed from the house of Sergio Tacchini, and I like it enough to want to explore their other offerings further, although I cannot say that DONNA really blows me away.

bebang's avatar

Samsara by Guerlain

When I travel I go east because I find the cultures older, more sophisticated, controversial and compelling. Samsara evokes those deep summer nights filled with the sound of crickets, incense burning in little shrines, earth like a warm skin, ripe mangoes and sandalwood smoke.

Samsara is walking through a Balinese paddy field, the old streets of Kochy in Kerala, around the tea plantations in the hills of Sri Lanka.

Jean Paul Guerlain knew what he was doing, creating a scent that takes you back to the last days of those journeys and the memories they leave on your skin.

PS - Samsara was my first Guerlain, but after dipping in to Jicky, Mitsouko and Shalimar I have to admit that it pales a little in comparison... perhaps it's an indication of our world becoming more predictable and a little safer. A beautiful place to be at times, nevertheless.

01st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2011)

nukah11's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Vanilla Vanille by Body Shop

When looking for a very simple vanilla juice for layering purpose, I thought I'd give this one a try, expecting the Body Shop's perfumes to be simple and straight up. Unfortunately this wasn't. It was some kind of vanilla alright, but not a warm and comfortable one like the real pods, instead I got something that smelled extremely like vanilla yoghurt. Very sour.

Some hours after trying to scrub it off it actually become somewhat softer and deeper, but the memory of the first half of the wearing still makes this a thumbs down.

jesvox123's avatar

Agua Verde by Salvador Dali

The Bottle is nice it appears as if it has green juice but thats just the color of the bottle, the scent is nice i dont smell citrus very much, its very fresh, flowery and powdery and you can smell the alcohol content, overall i like salvador dali and thats why i bought it, longevity isnt great it works on me about 3 hours. good for summer.i like it, will buy again

suburbanites's avatar

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

After seeing the comparisons between Ralph Lauren Purple Label and Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street, I stopped and did a sample on paper. At first blush, it's 'similar' but by no means an exact replica. The top and base note likenesses were where the similarities ended. Which brings me to the more intriguing aspects of the Bond No.9 frag. First, the scent changed back and forth through all the notes, not simply a dry-down and transformation from top to base. The heat of the warm summer day on skin brought out a completely different personality; the coolness of an indoor location transformed it yet again. I found it pleasant and interesting throughout the continual transition. If I had to pick a fragrance that gave me cause to pause, this would be the one. Then there's the sillage, which I found to be far better than the Purple Label, which is logical since the RL is an EDT and the Bond an EDP, along with a hefty price differential. People would know some hours later that you were wearing the Bond, whereas the RL vanishes within minutes. Longevity is fantastic. My choice is very clear in that as much as I like Purple Label, Bleecker Street has more to offer as a woody oriental.