Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Buzzlepuff's avatar
    Buzzlepuff

African Night by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

African Night (Notte Africana) has a light and very soft relaxing scent of cool night breezes and exhalaing floral woods. This fragrances is YlangYlag tinted with grapefruit in the opening and rosewood at the base. The primary scent is Ylang-Ylang and at first this smells like a high quality soliflore Ylang essential oil used in relaxation response for aromatherapy. It is a very relaxing and calming fragrance. There is a cool tropical night air scent that comes from the mix of grapefruit with ylang, layered over rosewood. The rosewood adds an exotic ethnic dry incense wood base that invites comparison to the incense floral, Timbuktu from L' Artisan. I give this a thumbs up, but its simplicity, although pleasant to smell is not much more than a simple but pure high quality Ylang essential oil. Simple this might be, but it does smell good!

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

I like herbs in general. They make excellent partners, not just in cuisines but also in fragrances, typically by enhancing citrus or green notes. I enjoy my spices too. So why-oh-why am I finding it difficult to enjoy SPEZIE?

Perhaps it reminds me a little too much of the kitchen spice rack / herb drawer, full of earthy and fragrant condiments capable of adding magic to the simplest of dishes. Unfortunately with SPEZIE, the cook had left out the main ingredient. And it's a little too late in the evening to be driving back to the store to get some. The herbs and spices thus had nothing to work with. Let's face it. As intriguing as this herbal stew is, there is nothing in there for you to really sink your teeth into. Be prepared to go to bed hungry and unsatisfied.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Do Son by Diptyque

This is a lovely scent: it is floral and very pretty. It isn't my style but I appreciate it.
    I applied a very small amount and found a powerful, attractive floral scent. It is really quite beautiful, a bouquet of heady white flowers. There is also a very pleasant chord of green - wood - earth, and this is compelling in a quiet way. The scent is sweet, but in small amounts it retains a translucent quality -- it isn't heavy or cloying.

Oslo-Fjord's avatar
    Oslo-Fjord
    Norway Norway

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d`Hermes has already become a classic. This fresh, earthy and spicy fragrance is very original and unique. Terre d`hermes is very versatile, and you can wear it for most occasions and seasons. I like both the EDP and EDT version, but the strange thing is that the EDT actual has better sillage and projection than the EDP. The Pure Perfume version stays veeery close to the skin, lacks the fresh top notes, and has a more rich, dense, dirty/spicy base-note. if you want the TDH with best sillage, and the fresh grapefruite/orange top- note, I will recommend the EDT vesion. It`s also a bit cheaper. -In any case; Terre d`hermes is one of Jean-Claude Ellena`s best masterpieces. Highly recommended.

ortho123's avatar
    ortho123

Devin by Aramis

Good, but not great. Green, but sometimes grating and then oddly soothing almost a lotion. The "soothing part" very close to the after shower sense and the "Devin products." But the name of the cologne itself? Not simply "silly" but striving for "pedigree" (to quote, reference some other reviews) and THAT's the part whether trying it out more recently and from recollection that makes this one for me an ultimate neutral.

Not better because I wore it a lot "back in the day" and not simply distinctive because of a barage of aquatics. Can't condemn it but won't be wearing it again. MUCH happier with Aramis!!!

I find this scent to be oddly self-conscious: not bright enough to overcome a kind of intrusive sensibility of "reflection" (leather). No wonder I wore it"back in the day" when things weren't going that well with whatever her name was...not simple enough, not complex enough...not fresh enough...you get the "idea."

Dogman's avatar
    Dogman

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I just purchased a small bottle of this recently out of curiosity and have found I really like it! I'm new to all this but over the past year have tried and purchased quite a few fragrances. I can't break this down in the way so many experienced folks on here can but I will say it reminds me of Creed MI which I own and is absolutely one of my very favorite scents! It also then reminds me of Unforgivable but to me is much better, L&L has less citrus in the opening compared to Unforgivable and is a touch sweeter.
    Longevity is better than either of the others on me and seems to last around 6 hours (for some reason NO scents have fantastic longevity on my skin).
    I know this isn't a great review but suffice it to say I will be wearing L&L frequently this summer for a lower cost alternative to Creed MI.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2011)

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

Reflection Man by Amouage

Though it's not the most beautiful or exotic fragrance by Amouage, it's very versatile and still retains the quality that you'd expect from this house. It does have comparisons to Le Male, but there's so much more to this than a Le Male clone. It's blended so well it's hard to pick out the individual notes and the overall smell is intoxicating. Sillage and longevity are excellent and the quality of ingredients are undeniable. If your looking for a modern fragrance with some sex appeal this is the one. In my opinion this one is actually worth the money because you can wear it on a daily basis. Most Amouages are glorified scent candles.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 July, 2011)

Belle en Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

Consider this: Belle de Rykiel is the contemporary Jicky. It has lavender and vanilla, yes, but so do many other perfumes that seem nothing at all like Guerlain’s Jicky. Jicky backs up its lavender/vanilla food elements with civet and a hint of coumarin, taking it a half step out of the realm of dessert. (I’ve never seen Jicky as a fougère. It feels like an oriental to me.) Belle adds a somewhat disparate combo of heliotrope, amber, incense and anise to side-step the gourmand trap and keep the lavendar/vanilla accord the focus from top to bottom. Although is it crisp where Jicky grows warm, Belle does wind up with a sweetness that makes its drydown come closer to gourmand than Jicky, though not by a lot.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2011)

spice's avatar
    spice

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Human, not animalic male musk. Could pass for body chemistry.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 August, 2011)

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche has grown on me. I’ve always liked it, smelling it a bit late in the game in the early 1990s on a friend who had to my mind a perfect balance of chic and practicality. She had a discerning, unpretentious knack for picking from high and low cultures what suited her best. She wore Rive Gauche and it fit her perfectly.

Recently I wrote that I preferred Paco Rabanne’s Calandre to RG. Call me sometimey, but today I prefer RG. Their similarities allow their differences to come into view clearly. Calandre is an aldehydic rose floral that winds up with a vaguely bitter green chypre drydown that I wouldn’t have expected at the outset. It’s a beautiful trajectory over time. RG’s aldehydes last longer and move the rose into the sweet viscous shadow of a tonka/galbanum gumminess that feels like a thick incensy resin. Despite Calandre’s reference to metal (chrome grill), RG has more of a metallic feel. It’s cool with a bit of that flinty smell shared by metal and stone. There is a constant question among the perfume set. What is a good rose for men? Here’s your answer.

Bandit by Robert Piguet

It’s often said that Bandit is a love it or hate it fragrance, with the implication that greatness is divisive. Well I’m smack in the middle of the road with this icon. Bandit makes me wonder, even though I’m an enormous fan of both leathers and green chypres, if there’s something particular to its construction that neutralizes the defining elements of the two genres on which it's based. There are other leather chypres that appeal to me: No 19 EDP, Aramis, Heely’s Cuir Pleine Fleur, Rabanne’s La Nuit, possibly even Cuir de Lancome and Scherrer de Scherrer (questionable that they’re both leather chypres or, respectively a floral leather and a green chypre.)

After the first sweeping minutes of Bandit, the chypre and the leather seem to cancel each other out and Bandit isn’t as vehement as either a strong green chypre or a nice, rough leather. The basenotes are dry but calm and feel more woody than anything else. Not particularly bitter, not smoky.

Bandit doesn’t entirely satisfy either my chypre or leather urges. I reach for other green chypres, leathers, and even more satisfying leather chypres like Azurée far more often.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

One of the few perfumes that is 80’s in style, size and exuberance but can still be worn today without irony. It’s a cartoon-like rose with candied violet. A bit shrieky up top, but fortunately by the heartnotes the rose grows citric and astringent, lending a sweet/tart quality to the accord. Paris has a crystalline quality similar to Guerlain’s Nahema, but is far less dense and juicy than Nahema. Paris gains a woody, musky quality in drydown, but remains true to the artifice and exaggeration of its era and is proudly an 80’s Huge Floral.

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Un Bois Vanille Notes

Black vanilla absolute, licorice, sandalwood, coconut milk, beeswax, caramelized benzoin, bitter almond, Gaiac wood, tonka bean

A delicate, smoky vanilla, with a woody base note, sophisticated and enchanting. If you like vanilla, this is one for the collection. Feminine, but a guy can easily wear this. Four words I see over and over again, referring to this fragrance are "grown up Pink Sugar", and that is absolutely true. It is a grown up vanilla, with a few other whispery smoky notes. Magical.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st January, 2012)

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Cefiro by Floris

I am a HUGE Floris fan in general, but not a fan of Cefiro at all. It is a very fresh clean scent to be sure, but it goes nowhere. It starts off with a very generic light orange/lemon and kind of stays that way throughout. Inoffensive to be sure, but no character at all... Maybe this would work better on a lady but I have a hard time wearing it myself. Those looking for a good spring/summer orange/lemon scent by Floris should try the vastly superior JF instead. The mundane smelling Cefiro gets a generous 2 stars out of 5.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

This fragrance in its complexity is surely classy and elegant with a sufficient level of boldness and charisma. It's not an extraordinary juice ( strange being a Kurkdjian's creation) and this is a concern because, as well as the ambery velvety dry down is set after the initial spicy-orangy blast by now faded, the scent becomes a bit ordinary in its final shadowy and almost balmy semi-oriental trail. I appreciate the initial accord of neroli, cinnamon, nuttmeg and saffron that is really captivating. In the central phase the fragrance becomes woody due to cedarwood and a bit herbal, retaining in part the influence of spices and a certain level of sharpness. In this phase there is a sort of aromatic/woody vibe around, reminding me vaguely Bogart Pour Homme. In the final part of the evolution the fragrance starts to soften and shadow in order to become ambery in a warm and balmy way. In this phase the juice is a bit onedimensional, sweet and with an almost vanillic final spicy/ orangy patchouli (i suppose some balsams flank the note of amber in the dry down). Silver shadow is a more than decent fragrance for work and dates suitable for mature men, longevity and projection are in the the average.

08 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2013)

scratchnsniff24's avatar
    scratchnsniff24
    England England

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

This is, quite possibly, the only scent I've purchased/been given, where I've simply had to give away.
    I got it for Christmas a few years back, and tried several times over a couple of years, and simply couldn't get away with it.

Initially it smelt ok, but quickly developed a warm, dry, cloying feel to it, that try as I might to brave through, I just couldn't. I think it's the spicy booze that's the culprit here. Like sloshing on weeks old Christmas punch.
    And the dry down, on my skin, was repulsive. At least to my nose. Other's told me I smelt lovely and I got compliments galore, but I simply couldn't take having the fetid stench around me all day.

It's almost certainly the reaction it had with my skin. I was out with a lady friend, one freezing cold night, and she had it on, but on her it smelt pretty damn good! Sadly my experiences in the past jaded my opinion of it even on her lovely self. Had I not had a prior experience, it may well have been a different matter!

And for that reason (because I'm not totally convinced).. I'm wussing out and giving it a Neutral rating. I hated it (on me)! But everyone else seemed to like it. Aaand it smells fairly decent on others too.

mitoken's avatar
    mitoken

(Untitled) by Martin Margiela

This is a very soft green-floral scent. Refined in a sophisticated way, but it has a very smoky essence. It's as if Kate Middleton was a secret chain smoker.

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma

I want to say that Mirto reminds me of a far lighter version of Rive Gauche, but I don't currently have any RG with which to compare it. I can say with more certainty that Mirto is citrus, floral, and wood, and it really is a wonderfully refreshing summer fragrance. There's an aquatic quality to it without it being cliche, and maybe even some cologniness too. However, despite the wonderfulness this is a VERY weak fragrance, in both sillage and longevity. I dumped the majority of my 5 ml sample on myself, and within an hour or two there wasn't much scent to be smelled.

This is why I not only like to smell a fragrance, but give it a good, all-day wearing.

sherapop's avatar
    sherapop

Eden No. 03 by Tokyo Milk

Tokyo Milk EDEN (#03) is the sweetest iris perfume I've encountered. Sweet and innocent. Tender and smooth. Although this is a fruity floral, with cassis providing the fruitiness, it is not overly sweet and does not become thick and jammy even in the drydown. EDEN seems like a fruity-floral fragrance for discerning grown-ups: neither sugary nor synthetic. Linear and relatively simple but very pleasant. Although it's not profound, EDEN has an appealing casual vibe and reminds me somewhat of the Crazylibellule Crazy Sticks line—except that this one's in liquid form.

My only complaint is that the longevity is not great and the solution also seems a bit weak, as I am able to spray a lot on and then find myself re-applying it repeatedly to refresh the scent. My 1oz bottle will be gone in no time! A propos: although the sticker price on these little bottles seems quite reasonable, it's actually a bit misleading, since I usually go for the 100ml bottles, which are often available at online emporia for considerably less than 3.4 times the price of a Tokyo Milk. Of course, the availability of small volumes at a modest price also makes it possible to blind buy these natural niche perfumes to satisfy my lust for gambling...

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

TENTATIVE THUMBS UP DUE TO LONGEVITY ISSUES

As of right now I'm pretty sure I'll eventually buy this, although I'll probably want another sample. This is an odd fragrance and I sprayed little bits of my small decant to sample it before finally killing it in an all day wearing.

Arancia di Capri starts out smelling like orange soda, which is pretty pleasant although damn peculiar in a fragrance. After the opening the sillage smells like an orange shampoo. Of course, if you press your nose to the fragrance it still resembles orange soda, but it real life nobody has nose to skin when smelling a fragrance. I only noticed the real goodness hours later. Every time I walked into a room I would wonder who was wearing the yummy fragrance, and I always needed to remind myself that it was me. It's just unusually good. Unfortunately, it's also got serious problems with longevity. It isn't horrendous, but it's enough to give me pause when considering a purchase.

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Chocolat Amère by Il Profumo

Tasty and captivating fragrance that transmits me a sense of nobiliar gourmandism rather than obscurity or appalling darkness. The bitterness is an added valour. It starts with a blast of bitter dry fruits, cacao and spices and fades in a sort of resinous woody dry down tasty of creams, chocolate  and a bit dusty of resins. Apart from chocolate, the sandalwood is the most prominent note while unfortunately the incense is too faint to be able to impress decadence and mystery. A good piece of work made of high quality materials but not so complex to be a giant. It lacks of decadent flowers, right dosage of citrus, a touch of dirtiness, notable patchouli and changeability of the wake.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Pour Homme starts with a big citrus blast backed with bergamot or lavender. For a brief period the lemon does remind of Pledge but this quickly dissolves and it becomes a straightforward, if potent, classic eau de cologne. What elevates this above 4711 with which it shares a citrus/lavender structure is greater radiance in time and space: the sillage is noticeable but not overwhelming and the longevity for a citrus-centered offering is outstanding.

This is a key bottle in my wardrobe and one that I turn to often.

Lovescully's avatar
    Lovescully

Musc for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Very beautiful floral musk. It resembles Prada Amber Pour Homme somewhat in that it also has a clean laundry type of smell.

Far more wearable than NR's For Him EDT. This one does not have that 'dirty' musk quality. I still love NR's For Him, but when I'm not in the mood for 'funky' this is just the ticket.

It's very long lasting as would be expected from an EDP, but its sillage is not overbearing. It stays quite close to the skin.

Cerel9's avatar
    Cerel9

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Let me start by saying, THIS DOES NOT SMELL LIKE GASOLINE! I have no idea why people keep saying this smells like that awful nose burning stuff.

Here's what they mean. As anyone with a performance car knows, they give off a certain smell when you really push them, when you seriously revv them. Now, most drivers wouldn't even know how to push a car that hard, but those who do know what I'm saying. Now I'm not talking about a burning oil smell, or other smells caused by a poorly maintained car. I'm talking what a new well maintained car smells like if you push it.

So imagine that, you're driving your new Porsche or V8 Mercedes down a highway, racing. You're pushing it hard and you get that smell. Right then, you drive along a long multiple football field length patch of grass, and it's being cut by a dozen professional ride on mowers. Those big ones. The smell of that fresh cut grass permeates your car, and now you know what Fahrenheit smells like.

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Fath Pour l'Homme by Jacques Fath

Suave, not overpowering, but a definite presence. Goes to a skin scent after about four or five hours. The oriental character of this seems not to reference vanilla very much. The drydown is more amber and musk, retaining a hint of the spice notes as well. Perfect for wearing in public, at work, casual social occasions, and so forth. It's urbane, sophisticated, and not in the least modern or trendy. Unassuming, but definitely not self-effacing.

Larimar's avatar
    Larimar
    Austria Austria

Shem-el-Nessim by Grossmith

I'll make it short... I find this disappointing. It is strongly hinting at L'Heure Bleue, but does not in the least manage to create a similar magic. I am not convinced by the iris note here either leaving a stale undertone on my skin. Get L'Heure Bleue instead!

anders's avatar
    anders
    Norway Norway

Bright Visit by Azzaro

Too sweet, too synthetic, a major disappointment after the great meeting with Visit.

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Eau Duelle by Diptyque

Awesome! I truly love Eau Duelle, and its simplicity. The notes I get in this are vanilla, woods, incense, vetiver, vanilla, and woods. Oh ya, and vanilla!

What I love most is that it is quite simple, but still, there is nothing like it. There are a couple other niche fragrances it reminds me of (Vanille Absolument/Havanne Vanille comes to mind), a couple from the L'Artisan house.

I basically get a creamy vanilla, with some spice from the incense, lots of woods, and a drop of vetiver crammed into the dry down. The vanilla lasts from beginning to end; and although unisex, it comes off a little more manly than the other unisex vanilla frags to me. Longevity is great (10+ hours) and projection is just as good throughout. If you're looking for a less sweet, (although this is still sweet, but not synthetic sweet) vanilla, and are sick of these syrupy overly sweet vanillas, then spend a little more and give this one a try. Or sample it first!

I am thoroughly impressed with the house of Diptyque. High quality, and reasonably priced for niche fragrances. Not as synthetic smelling as most, simple fragrances, yet all seem to be unique in their own way.

snuffty's avatar
    snuffty

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Have to agree with Jack Hunter on this scent. Revisited it several times to test again and walked away convinced it is one of the worst frags I have ever smelled.Pungent and gut wrenching,took several washes to get the smell off.I suppose there is one positive and that is its strong.

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Hermèssence Paprika Brasil by Hermès

I am a huge fan of JCE, but did like this one. Sour and dry on me. Just not for me. But I would stop short of giving a thumbs down.