Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Chalice's avatar
    Chalice

Dune by Christian Dior

I'm a bit perplexed by a lot of the descriptions of this fragrance. I don't find it "bleak" and the only thing that reminds me of salt, sand or sea breeze is the ad campaign. For me, Dune starts with a bright blast of aldehydes, then it quickly cycles through some light florals (the wallflower and peony in the description perhaps?), and finally it dries down to a dry amber. The amber is very pleasant, warm and sexy, and seems very easy to wear. I wouldn't necessarily classify Dune as a Summer scent, but if you enjoy orientals, I think this is one you could wear during the hotter months.

thatsmr2usir's avatar
    thatsmr2usir

No. 22 by Chanel

( VINTAGE )

First let me start off my saying this is my favorite Chanel! No 22 is the envy of all ancient Chanel's! This classy beauty is by far one of thee most interesting & highly appealing fragrances I have come across! It opens up with a tremendous burst of Aldehydes in which No 5 can not compare. It then slowly progresses into a soft white rose fragrance which is later dominated by the best part of this fragrance which is the base! Incense, Vanilla & Vetiver form a highly delectable delicious aroma that is soothing to both men & women. No. 22 becomes a skin scent which is the only thing I do not like about it. I wish it could project for miles, however it is meant for close quarters & it preforms very nicely. Dare I say this is far superior than No 5 is a understatement. The vintage formula is best, altho the Les Exclusives line is not bad, I noticed they did tone down the incense in the newer version, however a remarkable structure to a underestimated fragrance IMO! Long live NO 22!

Antaeus by Chanel

I just can't get my head around Antaeus. It's not that I have a thing against big '80s powerhouses -- I love Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme -- but this one just smells weird to me. Frankly, it has a very offputting, vaguely fecal vibe that I can't get past. Definitely an out-of-the ordinary scent; I can see why many people love it, but please, don't blind buy Antaeus!

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi

Dry dusty dessicated florals over musky woods, with carnation and rose taking turns to sing the lead. It feels familiar yet different somehow, rather like Molinard's Habanita with no leather and less powder. While I prefer my florals on the fresh dewy side, the assertive tone that GAROFANO conveys seems tailored for those times when you feel like throwing your weight around. Go on, wear this to work and boss your co-workers around for the day.

bebang's avatar
    bebang

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar has taken me on a very strange journey which I hated at first because its scent was so alien to me that I did not know what to make of it. It reminded me of an antique powder puff left behind by some silver screen diva.

I persisted with the ODP because, despite my initial reaction, I had also detected something totally irresistible and unique, which set it aside from every other perfume I have worn.

Shalimar was created at a time where scents where elitist, assertive and owned by few; it is so removed from the 21st century that wearing is like immersing your self in to a time between the wars where everything seemed possible.

Like all masterpieces, you will not get it straight away and you will have persevere and open your mind to it. But once you do Shalimar becomes a magnificent addiction.

protectedsugar's avatar
    protectedsugar
    Turkey Turkey

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

One of te most underrated scents in the market. A fresh powerhouse of thr 80's. Super staying power.

Perfumer: Thierry Wasser

Top: Mediterranean spices, citrus and mandarines, lavender, basil thyme, bergamot, gardenia

Heart: Sandalwood, fir, cedar, patchouli, nutmeg, carnations

Base: Musk, ambergris, tobacco, fern, leather

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

I didn't get any of the lavender supposedly in this one. It smells okay at the beginning with a little more spice, but like others I found the dry down too powdery and heavy handed with vanilla. To me this smells like a vanilla candle from Yankee candle company after 40-60 minutes. Not inherently unpleasant but not something I want to get a whiff of all day long.

calnadur's avatar
    calnadur
    Switzerland Switzerland

Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire

For a start, I'm not sure I would define this as unisex, I'd say it is much more feminine..

But that isnt the point..the problem is the quality of the scent itself..

Smells like the iris here just melts down into a rather generic, weak and boring floral..

[yawn..]

Essential Sport by Lacoste

I really like this. It's a simple scent that you can wear from the office to the gym. Seems to stick around almost 24 hours. Nice opening with a little bit of juniper and heavy citrus. Dries down to more citrus and a basic fresh, clean scent.

If I were to find a scent that is exactly like this, except natural instead of synthetic and a little less citrusy/more woodsy, then that would be the perfect summer scent.

Gramercy Park by Bond No. 9

Nice and complex. I love the green opening and the way it matures with a little bit of what to me came out as a slightly lavender type of floral scent. Doesn't smell synthetic at all and dries down to even more interesting notes of maybe a little musk and what I would call aquatic tones.

Downside is it only lasts 2 hours if you're lucky and it's some of the most expensive fragrance you can buy. It's a delicious scent but for that much expense I want something that is more masculine and doesn't have to be lugged around with me to respray before lunch time.

profumi's avatar
    profumi

Lasting by Revlon

This is really quite lovely, an interesting floral with great longevity, inexpensive and worth a try.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

A Scent by Issey Miyake

This starts as a very pretty, floral-green scent. The jasmine and hyacinth are rendered accurately, and they are framed by green herbal notes from the verbena and the galbanum. If the scent was a bit edgier (rather than soft) and a bit less floral I'd be quite interested. The dry-down is less attractive, basically a synthetic moss/musk combo which seems quite uninspired.

barclaydetolly

Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York by Bond No. 9

A vanilla and patchouli yawner. I wouldn't say it smells bad, but it's boring in every way. Very disappointing to attach Andy Warhol's name to this utterly forgettable fragrance.

Sugar by Fresh

That I am a fan of the house of Fresh is decisively demonstrated by the very fact that I bought a bottle of their SUGAR edp. True, it's a small bottle, and yes it was relatively inexpensive, but nonetheless significant since I'm the last person to gravitate toward sugar sprays masquerading as perfume. I've certainly slammed my share of frosting fragrances and chemical cotton candies in a bottle, but I have to say that Fresh came through again with SUGAR, which, while initially a bit frosting-like, still ends up sparkling in a very nice way thanks to the auspicious addition of delightfully fresh citrus, which is featured in most of the creations of this house. SUGAR smells swell, and I can heartily recommend it to all those in search of scents that smell good enough to eat and are devoid of the sickening synthetics that ruin fragrances such as PINK SUGAR for me.

09 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2011)

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This is a beautiful, original, unique scent. On me, it smells vaguely of lipstick and Play Doh lingering in a field of Iris, at least at the start; over time, the lipsticky vibe fades, and it really smells great. I just wish it stayed around longer -- three or four hours is all I seem to get.

09 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2011)

spice's avatar
    spice

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Love it! Brings back memories of hospital antiseptic, but good ones.

09 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 August, 2011)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Amarige by Givenchy

As already underlined Amarige is a pillar, a notorious, joyful and graceful woodsy fruity-floral based on the prominent tuberose and gardenia, with a milky synthetical kind of fluidity, the fruity undertones of orange and peach, the delicious hint of black currant and a warm and boise' dry down made of milky oil, smoky amber, sandalwood and vanillic artificial musk. The fragrance is sophisticated, versatile and with an almost gourmand fatty consistence. I agree with Off-scenter about the comparison with the following (many years later) Carnal Flower Malle by the same nose, Dominique Ropion. While Amarige, with its synthetic musk,  the usage of lactone and the tasty implementation of dry fruits is an example of olfactory plasticity on the borderlines of the gourmands territories, Carnal Flower is natural, crisp and vivid in its notable individuality of elements and in its carnal aromatic crudity of those. Amarige is finally a onedimensional, well rounded, sweet, chemical fluid though delicious and sophisticated while Carnal Flower is mutable, natural and almost edible in its variegated wake. In order to close the round i have to underline that Carnal Flower is mainly based on the powerful presence of tropical tuberose (blended with eucalyptus, coconut and sandalwood) while Amarige is a blend of well balanced flowers and fruits in which the other milky woody-green elements play the role played by coconut, sandalwood and eucalyptus in Carnal Flower). Amarige is anyway a good composition, one of the most appreciated by the women all over the world for its uniqueness and easiness.

09 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2011)

Buysblind's avatar
    Buysblind

Allure Homme by Chanel

My original review of Allure Pour Homme was pretty harsh. I had made the review after a particularly bad experience wearing Allure so I've come back to edit my review and to try to be a little more objective in my assessment.

It still gets a thumbs down. Despite the complex list of notes and vivid, detailed descriptions others have given it, I don't get much more out of Allure than a milky, citrus fragrance that borders on the sickeningly sweet. Pepper, leather, coconut, peach--I don't get any of that. While I enjoy the initial blast out of the bottle, at least for me, Allure never really settles or develops much on my skin. It only becomes sweeter and actually becomes louder over time (for the first 4 to 6 hours at least). I find it can be extremely cloying and it's one of those fragrances that makes me self-conscious with the feeling that I may be imposing myself on others with my scent.

Still, I do not agree with the negative comments that regard Allure as a 'generic' or 'ordinary' fragrance--it is not. I haven't come across anything that smells quite like it yet. However, as a more subdued, complex and dynamic alternative to Allure, I would recommend Costume National 21. I find 21 shares some similar qualities with it, but overall is more interesting while lacking Allure's potentially cloying nature.

09 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2012)

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

I don't find this repulsive or offensive. I simply don't think this is a particularly interesting scent.
    It is sweet and spicy. I can't pick out the apple, or the frankincense, nor any wood to speak of.
    It is smooth. If lightly applied I guess it is tolerable (if you like sweet scents) but it certainly has nothing particular going for it.
    Seems a bit cheap and loud in the final analysis.

SlimWhiteAnimal's avatar
    SlimWhiteAnimal

Lola by Marc Jacobs

A very unpleasant blend of neon fruit, harsh grapefruit, and shrill woods cemented together with vanilla. Would be middling fruity floral if everything wasn't so synthetic and aggressive.

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

FEMININE!

I smell flowers and bread. Actually I'm pretty sure it's a single flower, because it's a fairly clear and defined note. The "information" section of the page doesn't mention the flowers, but from the other reviews I've come to understand that it's lilac. The information does mention wheat though, which would explain the bread smell. Although I don't really detect the smell of cucumbers and orange leaves, now that I see that they're supposed to be in their it does feel right. Single flower notes are usually kind of flat, but this here En Passant has personality, like Arnold from Green Acres. That's one charming pig.

Regardless of my enjoyment of this fragrance, it's very feminine for a unisex. I had a co worker tell me that it was nice, but she wouldn't have chosen it for me, and that it was a bit feminine. Normally I try not to let others' opinions sway my own, but I felt that it wasn't for me as well. Great fragrance though.

Allure Homme by Chanel

I own nearly 70 different frags, and I have no clue how I avoided this one for so long... Maybe because it was hidden by all the attention Allure Homme Sport was getting... This one is surprisingly amazing. I over sprayed it the first day I got it (4 sprays- way too much for this one...) & I got 3 compliments from the first 3 girls I saw that day (all at different times).

To me, it's a more sophisticated version of 1 Million. It may very well become my signature scent.

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

I blind bought this one... Tried it on the first time, and it smelled like crap. Tar was all I smelled... Second time, same thing.

It wasn't until the 4th or 5th time I started really appreciating this scent. Then I watched a video on Youtube of a reviewer (Cubby) saying how it smells like doughnuts... Maybe it was the suggestion of that alone that made me change my opinion.

I would have put this as "neutral" but it seems to be growing on me every time I give it the chance (once every few weeks) <- which is high considering my rotation list.

Def don't blind buy. But you may need 3-4 samples to make your decision too...

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

It is an amazing scent, however it last less than 3 hours on my skin.

Maybe the solution is to carry a small spray vial around... Much better Chanel's out there than this.

Voile de Violette by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio VOILE DE VIOLETTE is a rich and earthy violet perfume which makes me feel as though I were walking through a slightly damp forest on spongy ground surrounded by tall trees. The path on which I step is strewn with the usual green leaves and pine needles, along with beautiful purple violet petals which don't really belong here and so must have been left by some nocturnal elves. VOILE DE VIOLETTE has a forest facet that I have not encountered before in a violet-focused composition. The sweetness is offset by the slightly dirty, dark greenish, woody quality. I am impressed by the longevity and the sillage is big enough to notice without overpowering. I'd love to have a bottle of this!

Wood Violet by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio WOOD VIOLET is much more about wood than about violet. The burnt cedar note really dominates the composition, overshadowing whatever floral components might be present. The violet, in particular, is virtually drowned out, aside from the violet leaves which are slightly detectable. WOOD VIOLET is a woody oriental but not a particularly subtle one. I think that it might be too loud for most males, and it smells too much like a wood shop for me. There is also a beefy facet to the burnt cedar note in this composition which reminds me of a lumberjack or a cross-country trucker such as I often saw driving down the main drag, Division Street, in St. Cloud, Minnesota, where I had the displeasure to live for about a year. Désolée.

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio TABAC AUREA is primarily a pipe tobacco perfume, with a touch of leather and wood thrown into the mix. I find this composition fairly masculine and would rather smell it on a bearer of a Y chromosome than on myself. I have no objection, in principle, to smelling like a pipe tobacco store complete with mahogany and cherry wood shelving and leather armchairs, but I don't really have any desire to smell like one, either.

TABAC AUREA is certainly a nice blend, similar in some ways to Tom Ford TOBACCO VANILLE, but quite a bit less sweet. There is apparently tonka in TABAC AUREA, but it is very low key, as are the patchouli and the amber to my nose. The SSS beefy burnt cedar note is present here, but fortunately it's not a focus!

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Krizia Uomo is definitely of the '80s and definitely Italian. I get mostly a spicy pine right from the jump - think Pino Silvestre crossed with Acqua Di Selva and we're in the conversation. It's relatively linear, changing mainly in volume although the longevity is substantial. I can't think of a lot of other fragrances quite like it and there is certainly nothing out now that is similar. Although an older scent, Uomo is still available through outlets such as Ebay.

Like a partygoer, Krizia starts the evening rambunctiously; by the end of the night he's a lot more laid back and tranquil.

Weimar27's avatar
    Weimar27

Into the Blue by Escada

The Opening of Into the Blue starts off
    with a scent of freshly cut grass that dominates 15 minutes of applying, Watermelon note starts steeping
    though but the synthitic overtones fails to deliver the picture of a fruity paradise but still bring an air of interest, Lotus know for it's delicate elegance and with it's powery watery nuance quietly drifts placidly
    The drydown is a confusing hodpodge of musk and peony, the note from the Peony
    with it's sweet and powdery smell pleasent but shy and unobtrussive Amber and Musk notes IMHO don't blend well with the grass and watermelon bring a sour
    tinge to In the Blue,

The real showshoper has to be the botle
    Conjours the feeling of diving into the seas of different shades of Azure of Bali where the Ocean
    meets the Flawless Turqoiuse sky Suspended in time the sense of oneness and tranquillity overcomes the senses in a Zen Paradise.