Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

jjrichard83's avatar

cK be by Calvin Klein

Something great about this... My first time trying it was in 96 when I was just a little kid. Everyone complimented me on it, and still do to this day. Although not too much wear from it the past few years...

lebeauche's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Chrome by Azzaro

Synthetic and suffocating. I did not like.

shamama's avatar

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

A singular and powerfully unique interpretation of Mint.

ravenheir89's avatar

Envy Me by Gucci

LOVE IT!=) Its one of those fragrances that is fresh,soft and so feminine,without being too sweet, fruity nor heavy like most other 'girly/feminine' perfumes are. It makes me feel like a sophisticated and classy young woman whenever I wear it.LOL.it stays for a considerate amount of time and is perfect for everyday casual/office wear.

Packaging is simple yet gorgeous, but I don't think its a smart idea to make a thick glass bottle with skyscraping high stature having such a narrow base. It can easily topple over with the slightest tilt, so ladies u do want to place it somewhere at the back of ur perfume counter for safety.

Overall this is a great perfume, one of the perfumes to top my list and though a tad expensive its pretty worth to buy or at least try. I give it a 9/10. ;)

terry81's avatar

Singapore Singapore

L'Uomo Trussardi by Trussardi

I brought this fragrance in the late 90s and I didnt finish even half the perfume. I was 16yo then and I did not like the manly woody smell that this frag came with thereafter. There was also a sourish note to the scent that turned me off.

Now im wearing Gucci by Gucci Homme and i realised both of them can be categorised under the same family as both has tabacco leave note to it except that Gucci has a hint of sweet base note that I favor more.

cherrycherry6's avatar

Snake Oil by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Snake Oil is a beatifully rich, sweet and musky blend that gets better and better as it ages. It's an addictive scent that has me huffing at my wrists whenever I wear it. It's seductive and commanding - a real 'notice me!' scent. Beautiful.

QWERTYOP's avatar

England England

Bois du Portugal by Creed

So apparently the woods of Portugal smell like the inside of an old guys car...

odysseusm's avatar

Zegna Colonia by Ermenegildo Zegna

I'm very disappointed in this scent. This nowhere near Essenza di Zegna, which is an excellent scent.
    Colonia has a brief floral-spice opening. Very quickly, it settles into a very synthetic-smelling, stale and metallic musk scent. Where is the neroli? Where is the green galbanum? Nowhere to be found. I find it quite unattractive. It is certainly not a classic cologne in style. Bah.

0j76's avatar

England England

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

Not bad, it grows on you. Sophisticated and slightly understated. Could be an up-to-date Xeryus, maybe. Beautiful packaging as well. Re: the automobile fragrance remark of another reviewer - Porsche Design is nothing to do with cars to my knowledge - it's a design house.

Izzy's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I don't understand why men get so pumped up about this fragrance I don't like it & all the girls working in Sephora don't like it either. Men stop fooling yourself this a horrinle fragrance. I'm labeling this fragrance a thumbs up so that all the Dior Homme bandwagon/followers can read this. The lipstick smell is always there & it won't go away. THIS IS NOT GOOD!

scentpacking's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I purchased this last year and used it for about a week . I really didnt like it so i sold it . That was then , however ,and this is now. I revisited it recently on a whim and decided to purchase a bottle and give it a fair crack of the whip. I really like this now and wonder why i didnt like it last time - go figure !. It reminds me of Declaration Essence by Cartier but without the overpowering cumin (body odour) smell. I find this much more wearable as a result . Sillage appears pretty good and as has already been said it can be detected by those around you even after you can no longer smell it .Longevity is also good .I dont get much in the way of earthy overtones with it -on my skin i mainly get dirty orange/grapefruit which is an rather outstanding smell It wont be liked by everyone but that suits me just fine . I dont expect to smell it on everyone i pass in town or at work . Thats the reserve of Acqua Di Gio !!Try before you buy and for more than just a day or so -it might grow on you as it has me .Prefer it to my Creeds at the moment .Thumbs up

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 18th July, 2011)

terry81's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Someone mentioned it smells like Terre d'Hermes? Yes indeed but it has a softer approach.

This is a woody fragrance that has a hint of sweet cocoa to me. The middle and base notes give out a sensual, warm and delicious smell for me. The tabacco note isnt too much to be an old man perfume.

This fragrance stays close to the skin so it aint going strong on people near you.

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd August, 2011)

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Extremely classic Eau De Cologne. Perfect, masterfully executed, incredibly natural and familiar....maybe too much. I honestly can't disencourage anybody to try this one but be aware that this is a "no-surprise" citrusy-soapy Eau De Cologne, that's it.

If Eau De Cologne is what you're looking for, go ahead as you won't be
    disappointed.

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th August, 2011)

01 Nomad by Odin New York

Nomad opens horrifyingly sweet with an huge dose of heliotrope / tonka beans and vanilla sugar surrounded by an almost strident citrus note (bergamot) or meybe lemongrass (?). It immediately reminded me of a "just out from the hoven" creamy lemon cake.

Fortunately, the initial sweet blast is very efemeral and the fragrance move to a woody, (sort of) oriental territory. The gourmandic aspect it's still there but it's now less cloying, more integrated and blended with woods. In this phase Nomad is definitely more pleasant but still lacks in something (give a test to the very similar Biehl Parfumkunstwerke EO01 and you'll get what I mean).

Overall, Nomad smells more designer than niche, and it would be fine if just half-priced.

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th August, 2011)

04 Petrana by Odin New York

A violet leaf driven floral frgrance of average quality. A moderate pink pepper note blends quite armonically to heliotrope and floral patterns (mainly iris) turning then into a clean musky drydown. Everything is surrounded by a green vibe throughout. Pleasant, honestly refined, very wearable and totally unisex yet not incredibly interesting. A nice one among nice others.

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th August, 2011)

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Infusion de Fleur d'Oranger by Prada

Truly charming, more "fun" than Infusion d'Iris. This is just a flanker, and it is a great pitty! The best of the flankers of Prada Infusion so far IMHO. I have a whole bottle while this one is leaving the stores!

Two tumbs up from me!

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2011)

Iris by Odori

The good news is that Iris by Odori is a very nice fragrance, the bad news is that rumours want both Odori and Bois 1920 (the two italian outfits run by Enzo Grimaldi) being on the edge of stopping their production and retire from the market. Too many releases and too much competition with bigger houses can lead to a disaster for relatively small brands such as the ones we're talking about.

Said that this is an incredibly refined a kinda discreet Iris based fragrance that's not too far from other crowdpleasers of the genre such as Dior Homme or, let's say Chanel's 28 La Pausa. The main note is enriched by heliotrope and a slightly powdery ambery-vanilla base. During the drydown I notice a soapy vibe that's typical of the brand. A perfect fragrance for nights out. Unisex. Stock up before it's too late.

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2011)

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

Alpona by Caron

I couldn't get past those men's shower gel associations... what really impresses me here is that it is marketed to women, now that they are all supposed to smell like sweet candy.

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2012)

ortho123's avatar

Lomani by Lomani

Sure this is not the most original stuff out there, but the original Lomani? Two thumbs up!!!

10th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 25th November, 2014)

Lieu de Rêves by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio LIEU DE REVES opens beautifully with bright purple violet petals. Shortly thereafter, however, the burnt cedar note from WOOD VIOLET takes over this composition as well, making it much less floral than woody. The offending note is definitely less marked in this perfume, but I still don't find it appealing—somehow it reminds me of body odor or beef stew. This is therefore also a no-go for me. Could be a skin chemistry issue—on ne sait jamais. In the end, it doesn't really matter: this one's not for me. Désolée.

Ambre Noir by Sonoma Scent Studio

True to its name, Sonoma Scent Studio AMBRE NOIR is a dark, thick and viscous, YOUTH DEW-like perfume. One look at the contents of the vial, and it becomes clear that this is a serious elixir. The opening is briefly medicinal but then the composition smooths into a “dusky” (as they put it—and rightly so!) labdanum-rich amber perfume. This is strictly a winter affair, with an oily incense note along with the other hard-hitting oriental components, but I'm wearing it today (April 18, 2011), as we in Boston have no spring, so we're trapped in winter basically until the day that summer dawns (sometime in May, we hope!). So far so good. I'll update as the evening progresses...

...It's a winner: smooth and seductive: I want it!

Cameo by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio CAMEO rolls roses and violets into an initially playful composition which finally winds up as a light, slightly floralized amber perfume. Early on, the violet is most pronounced, but within minutes the rose takes over. Since I love violet and like rose, I was naturally hoping that violet would hold up a bit longer, but the good news is that the rose is never overwhelming, and it may be that the violet is exerting a tempering effect even while it is no longer discernible as an individual note to my nose. There's nothing even close to rosebush-in-a-blender going on here: no green rose trimmings whatsoever. “Smooth skin musks” and “dry woods” are reputedly a part of CAMEO as well, and that's probably why the amber in the drydown, while dominant, is still rather subtle. This gentle amber-rose could be worn all year round, it seems to me. I like it. I do.

Dame Piglet's avatar

Flower by Cynthia Rowley

Lovely and sadly, discontinued. As others have described, lily with a soft, musky dry down. Great longevity and terrific sillage. I really love this one.

Jour Ensoleillé by Sonoma Scent Studio

Jasmine and oakmoss—or reasonable facsimiles—loom large in Sonoma Scent Studio JOUR ENSOLEILLE. To my nose this is more appropriate for an overcast, threatening-to-rain day than as a celebration of bright sunlight. In fact, JOUR ENSOLEILLE seems just perfect for today in Boston, with a lot of wind, and numerous gray cumulus clouds threatening to spill their contents any moment now. The wind is so loud that it seems menacing, beckoning me to remain inside my warm apt. with my even warmer divine white furry feline friend, Diogenes incarnate aka Howard Hughes kitty aka Nanook of the North aka Houdini aka Orson Welles avatar aka Emperor Oliver, who, I recently learned is coincidentally the same age as Hugh Hefner. Let's just hope that HH kitty does not dump me for a younger, more nubile, could-be-his-great-granddaughter member of his very large fan club—all females in existence, to be precise. But I digress...

JOUR ENSOLEILLE has enough oakmoss to be a turn-off to those who have not acquired a taste for the somewhat dirty, dusty, even “old lady” quality of the perfumes in which it figures big. I, however, happen to like that note a lot. Is this presentation worthy of a full bottle? Probably not. This one reminds of several other middling oakmoss-rich perfumes and does not stand out from the crowd. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The alleged neroli and tuberose included in this composition are beyond my threshold capacity to detect. Désolée.

Egyptian Musk by Sonoma Scent Studio

As advertised, Sonoma Scent Studio EGYPTIAN MUSK is a musk composition. Really very simple. Not entirely clean, but not entirely dirty. To be perfectly frank (quoi d'autre?), it reminds me a lot of drugstore musk such as Jovan. It's okay, but I'm not a musk fanatic, and I already have some straight-up musk perfumes for those rare occasions upon which musk hankerings arise in me—basically never, as evidenced by the volume of those bottles... EGYPTIAN MUSK is just fine for muskophiles, I am quite sure, but nothing special. Just musk.

Rose Musc by Sonoma Scent Studio

Truth in advertising rules the day at Sonoma Scent Studio, whose ROSE MUSC is a rich rose perfume with an ambery feeling (that would be the labdanum...or does this really contain ambergris?!). The musk serves primarily to sustain the composition and is not all that noticeable—at least not compared to SSS EGYPTIAN MUSK, which is basically all musk all the time.

I like this rose perfume very much: a true rose with big sillage and great longevity but without being overwhelming at all. Definitely smoother than Tea Rose and some of the other green roses I've tried. ROSE MUSC is really about rose petals, yellow ones, I'd say. Nice. Smells great on my cat, too, on whose head I brushed a wrist and after which he was a richly labdanum-rose-scented divine feline for many, many hours...

Fleurine's avatar

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought this on an impulse when I heard that it was being discontinued, and then of course, started to appreciate it. It's a wonderful yummy citrusy vanilla with a warm bourbon vanilla dry down. Wearable, and gourmandy without being too sweet. Perfumey enough to make you feel like a lady, but not so much that you feel like you are a lady from another generation.

jjrichard83's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

One of the best openings I've ever had the pleasure of sniffing.

If it lasted longer on my skin, it could have been in my top 10. However... It last very little time... I would use it just before heading to bed with that special someone... Thats it.

SirSlarty's avatar

L'Essence de Cerutti by Cerruti

A spicy, tangy top starts things off. As usual that stuff fades quick however the spice still takes hold into the heart notes which is mixed with leather and woods and is rounded off at the bottom with a musky base. It's light, yet has a deep feel to it, almost sensual. I really like it.

SirSlarty's avatar

Molinard Homme II by Molinard

Sweet yet very weak. A musky kind of sweet/ Almost doesn't even register even in the heat. I'd go with Body Kouros or something else even.