Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

aeracura's avatar

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

Sexy, Mysterious, Exotic without being cloying... and yet Fresh, Feminine and Fun....

It makes me feel sexy and yet social, a bit of a paradox really....

It's classy and sophisticated and yet really accessible and youthful...

aeracura's avatar

Burberry for Women by Burberry

On e of my favourites, since first getting a bottle around 4 years ago it is one of the only ones that I always replace... it's an essential now.

Warm, creamy, soft, intimate, peachy, and individual... it's also quite classy and yet sweet and endearing. I get a lot of compliments when I wear it and people always want to know what it is. I've also had a hard time finding it as it's been invariably listed or advertised as different names, subsequently I purchased a bottle of Burberry London, thinking that's what it was only to be disappointed as I don't really like London much...

Koi-Sashuu's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Baldessarini Del Mar Seychelles by Baldessarini

When I first sprayed it on, I thought of it as nothing special.
    After half an hour, it smelled a lot like Playboy New York.

It's a fresh scent.
    I like it, but nothing special.
    I personally want something more 'unique'

mumsy's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

I used to wear the old Cabochard, so I bought a bottle recently just for old times sake and to see what they had done to it. I'm a die hard fan of the old version, but yes, sometimes it could be very uncompromising as an old dame of its type. The tobacco and leather could sometimes get quite harsh and a bit fag/old ashtray. This one is more linear, but I think actually more wearable because it has been lightened up. I'm not normally a fan of any reformulations, but in this case I quite like this one. Even enough to write a review.

It's like a very recognisable cousin and still deserves to be in the same family with some merit to it. The lack of ooomph within hasn't made it a nasty perfume, just a much paler self. I'm wearing it anyway.... and i'm pleased I bought it. It's dry and sultry still.

dpark's avatar

Eau Sans Pareil by Penhaligon's

Eau sans Pareil has been relaunched it the new interpretation of what was a wonderful fragrance is not good at all. The mint and citrus themes that gave the perfume is wonderfully distinctive opening has gone to be replaced with a rather unpleasant, floral sweet note. The perfumer does not seem to have taken as their reference point the old Eau sans Pareil at all which I wore constantly for some years, a great disappointment

mumsy's avatar

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain

I'm really sad about this one. I have many Balmain that I adore and thought this would better the best. I've been waiting and waiting for a bottle for ages. I've finally got it and..... oh dear... I shouldn't have expected so much. It's missed the mark entirely in my humble opinion.
    The opening was much sweeter than I was expecting it to be. It has a citrus/pepper note that seemed very air freshener-esque like one of those little trees hanging in the car. This developed into a greeny galbanum, herbesque note. I say esques because they don't seem quite true to the things they feel like they smell like. Then the whole thing mellows and morphs into an overpowering false powdery amberish note, that to me bears no resemblance at all to ambergris or even amber. I think it smells like a reed diffuser air freshener bought from an incense shop. I feel the whole thing smells totally artificial and I would be surprised if there was anything natural at all in this. I would love to stand corrected.
    It dries down to something pleasant enough if you like gentle ambery powdery things. I just expected too much with that name from that maker.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Sélection Verte by Creed

This is the kind of scent that built Creed's reputation, and judging from what little archaeological evidence of the real Creed perfume history there is, this was one of their first scents, marketed originally as Olivier Creed Eau de Cologne in the early Seventies. Like all of the early Creeds, this was a traditional style fragrance built from very good materials and with a little twist. Here it is a minty-citrus Eau de Cologne that carries on strong over a reticent floral sweet pea note and hardly noticeable ambergris. Simple, beautiful and perfect for a hot day.

Mandolinist's avatar

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

To start, I do not perceive anything manure-esque in this fragrance, as has been described. It is bright, green, and I find it particularly humid. While I would consider this a fragrance best worn in spring, there is something "heated" about it, and could just as easily be suitable on a cool autumn day. This is currently the most masculine smelling scent in my collection, which also includes Fahrenheit. It would be easy to overdo this fragrance as well, and I find that a single spray will accomplish everything you need it to. Killer projection and great longevity, but be advised this is certainly a mature scent. I do however think a younger man (late twenties to thirties) with the right grooming and presentation could pull this off, when applied very sparingly.

As for what the ladies think of it, I heard it endearingly described as "grandfatherly."

At around $35, it's definitely worth a blind buy.

Sniffer28's avatar

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

The tom of finland fragrance Gave me a Headache after a while of wearing it i used the tester first glad i did so i would not end up wasting my $$$$$ i still think the best ever fragrance that got released was (Emporio Armani for him) i could where that everyday

Nancy Lancaster's avatar

Cuir / Cuir de Russie by Piver

This is a great fragrance - I think it is really geared towards men, but it could work on a woman too. I am currently wearing the new version "Cuir". It went on as leather/honey, and stayed with me all day. I wore it on wrists and neck. It stays very close to the skin and I never felt I would have to "explain" myself with this one. It's very classic, non-controversial...there is almost nothing to dislike about this and it's extremely wearable. That might be it's slight downfall for me! It's so self-assured, plays well with others it's not terribly interesting unless you want to gaze into it's eyes. It's subtle, manly but not "butch". A man in a suit who is a banker, not a broker. There are some other layers there - carnation - that add depth but nothing really stands out to me that much; almost predictable, not boring though, just enough to interest. This is a good work fragrance. I do wonder how it compares to the original. Very safe choice I would say.

Central Park by Bond No. 9

I first reviewed CENTRAL PARK based on a purse spray about a year ago at "The Other" major fragrance website. After owning a bottle for some time, I think that it's time to reaffirm our vows.

Wow, I love this stuff, especially on hot days such as we have in Boston right now: 92F. As I walked to the library this afternoon, I was enveloped in a big cloud of bitter greens and linden blossom. There is something slightly edgy and almost too loud about this basil-rich, lightly floralized (lily-of-the-valley) composition, but it manages to stay just short of going too far. CENTRAL PARK is neither masculine nor feminine to my nose. It is also not a typical green offering--I'd call this creation sui generis.

In the interest of truth in reviewing, I should add that I only wear this perfume in the heat. In fact, one day last winter when I took a whiff of it, I found it not at all appealing. But for the summertime, it's a winner in my perfume book!

Vintage Rose by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio VINTAGE ROSE was not at all what I was expecting: something along the lines of Jean-Charles Brosseau L'OMBRE ROSE with a light dusting of, well, dust atop the rose petals. Instead, VINTAGE ROSE has a very strong burnt wood scent, what I have been describing in my SSS reviews as “beefy burnt cedar”. Not a particularly harmonious mix, IMNSO. The dark, charred wood quality dominates the rose and doesn't complement it very well even while the rose is still stronger, in the opening. I greatly prefer ROSE MUSC to VINTAGE ROSE though I'm generally more of a vintage than a musky gal. It's just that ROSE MUSC is not very musky, and VINTAGE ROSE does not mesh with my concept of VINTAGE at all. Désolée.

I should add, however, that wearing VINTAGE ROSE reminded me of a topic of great interest to me: modular perfuming, which seems to be all the rage at niche houses these days. It's simple, really. Put together a vocabulary of high-quality but simple notes, and then mix and match them in every possible permutation to produce your library of scents. That's really the only way that houses such as Keiko Mecheri, Bond no. 9, Boadicea the Victorious et al. can come up with literally dozens of perfumes in only a short period of time. This a new world, the world of twittered perfumes, not the days of lore when a perfumer could easily spend years on a single creation. Those were the days... back when perfume was perfume and nearly everything being put out today would have qualified at best as cologne or body spray. Most niche houses do not produce complex, multilayered perfumes that unfurl over time in fascinating ways, à la ARPEGE or MITSOUKO. Instead, everything is flat, as though perfumers were all taking SSRIs and just don't give a damn anymore. And perhaps they are, and perhaps they don't.

Velvet Rose by Sonoma Scent Studio

Every greenish rose perfume evokes immediately recollections of Perfumer's Workshop TEA ROSE, and Sonoma Scent Studio VELVET ROSE is no exception to the rule. TEA ROSE is probably sharper and greener than VELVET ROSE, but the two are close neighbors on the grand olfactory map, much closer to one another than any of the other SSS rose perfumes are to each other or to TEA ROSE.

Don't get me wrong: I like green rose perfumes, I really do, but I do kind of feel that if you've smelled one (good one) you've smelled them all. I only need one, and I already own TEA ROSE. But if anyone out there thinks that TEA ROSE is too low-brow because they practically give it away for free, by all means, buy yourself a niche green rose perfume! As for me, I'll spend my niche bucks on something less readily available and hopefully unique!

Femme Jolie by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio FEMME JOLIE is certainly a pleasant surprise. From the description on the manufacturer's card (plum, peach, “soft florals”...), I was expecting a nondescript fruity floral. Instead, I am treated to a smooth and scrumptiously cardamom-laced oriental in the same general neighborhood as some of my favorite perfumes: Kenzo L'ELEPHANT, and Bond no 9 LEXINGTON AVENUE and CHINATOWN. A real winner, this scrumptious smooth, seductive and addictive composition is indeed! This composition is a bit woodier than the Bond no 9 analogues and a bit less hard-hitting than the Kenzo, so happily I can add it to my collection in good conscience and without redundancy... On my wish list!

Whoops: I just saw that it's been discontinued! Sigh...

Champagne de Bois by Sonoma Scent Studio

Another example of not-so-harmonious modular perfume-building, Sonoma Scent Studio CHAMPAGNE DE BOIS combines the SSS wood and amber notes with a dash of aldehydes to produce a perfume which, predictably enough, smells initially a lot like aldehydes mixed with amber and wood. My own preference is for a limpid, bright and shiny aldehyde presentation. Here what we have is a rather dark oriental perfume with an essentially amber drydown and a short-lived aldehyde opening. Doesn't really compute for me. Even the wood notes end up dissipating in the wind leaving behind only a monolithic layer of amber. Which is fine, of course, for what it is, but what this composition is not is anything evocative of champagne. Désolée.

Sienna Musk by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio SIENNA MUSK is another variation on this house's burnt cedar perfumes. This one is far more woody than musky and smells to me a bit like a campfire. Although I find SIENNA MUSK somewhat more appealing than some of the other SSS woody perfumes, that's actually pretty faint praise...

Fireside Intense by Sonoma Scent Studio

Another beefy cedar scent, Sonoma Scent Studio FIRESIDE INTENSE also features a dark leather note which helps to temper the smoky wood to some extent. The oakmoss is difficult for me to detect because of the darkness of the wood and leather notes, but perhaps it smooths out the composition somewhat, since I do like this perfume more than some of the SSS beefy cedars. Still, I do feel that I could live without a full bottle, since I don't really like this cedar note, which is clearly an acquired taste I have yet to acquire! Désolée.

Winter Woods by Sonoma Scent Studio

Sonoma Scent Studio WINTER WOODS, my last sample from this house, ended up being a pleasant surprise. This is a very smooth and delectable amber oriental perfume, where I was expecting another burnt cedar variant, of which this house has many. Although there is a fair amount of wood here, the amber really dominates, with a rich and golden, viscous texture. I may even like this more than ANNE PLISKA, and that's saying a lot. WINTER WOODS is less spicy than some amber compositions, and quite a bit more ambery than others (L'ENCRE NOIRE, AMBRE GRIS, et al.). A perfect perfume for cold weather, WINTER WOODS is also wearing quite well on a mild summer day. This may be my favorite from Sonoma—I somehow saved the best for last... On my wish list!

Gilded Lily by Ineke

As advertised, Ineke GILDED LILY is a gorgeously gilded lily perfume. The overall effect is that of a fine floral chypre, so part of the “gilding” appears to consist in oak moss—or reasonable facsimile—which imparts a truly splendid texture to this haute lily perfume. Sometimes I find lily too dirty or heavy-handed, but this compelling composition is a big-time wrist-sniffer. GILDED LILY is beautiful from start to finish and would appeal to anyone who appreciates vintage chypre perfumes, provided that they like lily, which is definitely the dominant floral. With relatively big sillage and superb lasting power, GILDED LILY is a bona fide eau de parfum, not a watered-down cologne stretched thin and mislabeled to maximize profits. I can honestly state that I cherished every drop of my 1.5 ml sample vial, and I would love, love, love to have a bottle of this! On my wish list! Bravo, Ineke!

UrbanMan's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

This stuff is nuclear-powered. Thats not a bad thing. My big warning is, if you use too much of it - as in one small squirt too much of it - you'll be that guy that everyone is looking at, thinking, is he wearing the 1/2 the bottle?!

If you buy some, first time, try one modest squirt on your chest. See how that goes over the course of the day. If necessary, escalate slowly.

Its great for the cold of winter. US Thanksgiving until St Patrick's day. Perhaps its the violet-moss notes, providing a needed whiff of spring.

The lemon and orange elements are largely obliterated. Its all about the violet, moss and wood with this one.

Its hard to imagine under 30s liking this. But if everything that was once old at some point becomes new again, its possible. Remotely possible.

spice's avatar

Rose Poivrée by The Different Company

A strong red rose tamed by pepper, releasing an even wilder side.

12 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Fragrance by John Varvatos

This is a not a bad scent, but I feel it suffers from being too sweet. There is a little bit of citrus at the opening, and it quickly becomes spicy and fairly sweet. The scent smells nice, with hints of wood and leather. It is very smooth in style. The dry-down gets sweeter and sweeter, and vanilla-like notes emerge. Quickly I lose interest.
    In my opinion, Tommy Bahama for Men is a far more satisfying spicy-wood warm style of scent. It is drier and doesn't get tiresome.

12 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo

Interesting smooth musky aquatic with a touch of delicate rose in composition and the final bed of a musk mild of guaiac wood. The typical flavour that colours the general smoothness is decidedly conditioned by the link of neroli and star anise with the salty touch of hedione, all spiced by an hint of pepper. This fragrance is not a metallic alcoholic kind of mineral watery aquatic but is silky, soft, a bit musky and remarkably woody with the tangible influence of sandalwood and guaiac wood. The floral note of rose enhances perfectly the soaring general delicacy. In this phase the scent becomes almost velvety of woodsy softness but without losing the light salty touch of its mediterranean nature and the intense but sour sweetness of orange and citrus. This scent deserves attention, is able to lord over many aquatics out there and demonstrates the right way to run this olfactory way with craftsmanship and without issuing mediocre kinds of smelling waters. Powerful sillage.

12 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 December, 2011)

Grottola's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Definitely still one of the best masculine fragrances of the past ten years. I find the pure parfum to be more satisfying, but I definitely have enjoyed the Eau de Toilette as well. Terre d'Hermès is a well-made, enjoyable vetiver/Iso E Super fragrance with the signature Hermès "house" note of oranges. It lasts a good while, projects well, and at times gives off the aroma of warm bodies after sex, and maybe even good weed. If you haven't tried it already, then do so. If you wanna buy a bottle, I recommend getting the pure parfum so you can enjoy it in the best way possible.

12 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2012)

Eliza's avatar

Fig Wood / Bois de Figue by Ava Luxe

It reminds me of wood. Just wood. It's ok. I like the little boxes the 5 mls come in. It was a blind buy for me which I hardly ever fall for. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. You have any perfumes like that?

now it's Oct 2012... I didn't know I already put up a short review in this! This is a cooler weather scent and doesn't work well in warm weather. It's October now and it works. Doesn't take much to dab on (I whisk it all over my face, hair, back of neck... arms. Lasts 2 hours then you need to reapply which is ok, since this 5ml last a long time. It's very nutty , sweet and fig like. I like to go online and re read the ingredients because I don't pick up on al lot of them, yet glad to know they are in there.

Why can't that lady produce samples? You got to blind buy everything. I got this one when I ordered Madeline and I do like Madeline except for the milky notes. The price is right; so right that I can try another blind buy . Definitely a fall weather scent.

12 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Desire Blue by Dunhill

While I find myself wearing this a lot less than I used to as my tastes have changed over the years, I still really like Desire Blue quite a bit. It is just about the only aquatic scent I can tolerate. It is sweet, but never cloyingly so and strong enough, but inoffensive allowing for all-around use. I get tremendous longevity with this one and strongly prefer it for its versatility over the original Desire (that can be quite overpowering and way too sweet, IMO). Great overall value here at the low price this one can be had at. As for the scent, I rate it a very good 3.5 stars out of 5.

12 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

Appalachianitis's avatar

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

If Chanel No. 5 is your little black dress, Lovely is your favorite pair of jeans.

Late-Hit's avatar

Twill Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

I tried it twice, several days apart. Eh... it's just a basic rose fragrance. Not notably animalic, and not particularly "masculine" either.

I used to have a bottle of Perry Ellis Portfolio for Women that I used as an air freshener in my bathroom. That's what Twill Rose reminds me of.

I can't imagine many men buying Twill Rose, or many women envying it. Unless they can't find Portfolio for Women.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a wildly unique, fresh, mature summer scent. I wore this today and the whole time I kept thinking two things. The first was that I smelled weird, but this thought was immediately followed with, "BUT DAMN DELICIOUS!" The most obvious and dominant component of this scent is the citrus, but it's the citrus's companions that have made this truly noteworthy. I'm not sure what else is going on here, but I think it's mint, cumin, and cedar. I really cant tell what the deal is, but it really works, and the effect is very unique. And this genre of "summery fresh" REALLY needs this type of brilliant originality, as just about everything out there seems to be interchangeable, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but it is what it is.

"So is there a downside?" you may find yourself wondering. Well, it's that classic issue of longevity. Sometimes, the very thing that makes a fragrance smell so good is also the reason it doesn't last. I wouldn't expect more than four hours out of this on a good day.

Fleurine's avatar

Coco by Chanel

This might be my favorite Chanel. An intense warm floral, for some reason it reminds me a bit Hermes' 24, Faubourg, Guerlain's Shalimar, and also a bit of others Chanel fragrances like Bois Des Isles and No. 5. This vanilla and sweet base notes are just glorious!

Pure love.

I just grew into this fragrance after not understanding it in my childhood. This scent to me now is so welcoming and perfect. I can picture myself enjoying it for many years to come.