Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

odysseusm's avatar

Gardenia by Penhaligon's

This is a very pretty, feminine floral. The opening is clean and clear, with soft blossoms balanced by a somewhat brisk, green-soapy quality. Gradually the notes deepen and become even softer and rounder -- that crisp edge goes away. The scent still is not too sweet. There are hints of spice. The base develops more power under the intensifying influence of benzoin. There is light musk, but also a kind of aquatic-beachy note.
    There are many flowers here, blended very well. It is difficult for me, a non-specialist in floral notes, to pick them out. The overall effect is lovely, Not at all my style but I can appreciate it.

illyria's avatar

Perfect by River Island

To my nose, this is a dupe of Kenzo Flower, with perhaps a tad less foot-powder. I like it better than Flower, anyway, and I think that's why.

illyria's avatar

Scent by River Island

A Giorgio 'lite', almost a dupe. Not bad, but why bother?

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Fraîche Badiane by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Atelier Cologne may have invented "high powered Eau de Cologne" as a branding concept, but MPG has long been creating "extended version" Eau de Colognes such as the neroli-based Eau pour le jeune homme or the beauty at hand. Fraiche Badiane is an aromatic citrus in the style of Detaille's vintage scent Aeroplane or Goutal's Eau du Sud, but it gives these trads a twist by adding the star anise note to the citrus-basil combination. It's top notch quality, very natural-smelling, refreshing but sufficiently substantial, interesting if not shockingly innovative and a sheer pleasure to wear. MPG has lacked buzz recently, they certainly would deserve some for scents like this.

crecy1346's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I have tried this after reading many positive reviews.I found it to be a bit of a "curate's egg" initially nice but after a while I found it,well not unpleasent,but not particularly nice either.After wearing it for approximately 3 hours I asked two ladyfriends what they thought and neither of them liked it.May be different on someone else!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Spigo Fiorentino – Lavanda Azzurra by I Profumi di Firenze

A transparent but no less bracing lavender scent done in the eau de cologne style. What sets LAVANDA AZZURRA apart from other lavender-centric fragrances is the adroit use of citrus and aromatic herbs to partner the soapy lavender accord and give it an Italian flair. There is hardly any sweetness in the base either, the perfumer having eschewed the more ubiquitous vanilla in favor of (at least what I perceived to be) frankincense, vetiver and blond woods.

A hidden gem unearthed. Unfortunately its short lifespan means it is likely to remain hidden.

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Diorella by Christian Dior

I have never been a great fan of these kind of classical chypre perfumes, but I also feel very confidant that I have the ability to appreciate a masterfully made fragrance when I meet one.

Diorella is delightfully decadent, yester yeary perfume with astonishingly heavy feel of class, confidence and mystery. It's very complex and haunting. Somehow it clearly makes me think about the time of season when autumn has just punched the last breath out of summer : Rottening fruits, waxy overripe flowers, damp earth, wet woods covered with brownish moss and other stuff of that kind.

I just recently bought me a bottle of this (blind) - A well restored wavy glass bottle with light blue cap. I presume it's some sort of vintage, and although I don't know the exact time of this version, I know it certainly isn't the latest one.

I don't like to wear this outside myself, but I do enjoy to spray it on my hands from time to time indoors and let my mind wonder in special ways. Generally speaking it is easily unisex though, just don't be too frightened about those piercing aldehydes at the top, they dry down soon enough.

On a side note, I once asked if my girlfriend liked it enough to wear it...Her response with grimacing look on her face : "God, no. It smells awful and awfully cheap."

PigeonMurderer's avatar

Finland Finland

Aqua Fitness by Biotherm

Absolutely terrific, fresh, aromatic citrus floral fragrance with delicious white musk undertones.

The main note in AF is, without a shadow of a doubt, honeysuckle. Together with waxy and mouthwateringly juicy citrus fruits and with hints of mint and woods and that musk it creates sort of, positively a chemical vibe. It smells like the best laundry detergent you've ever smelled. A laundry detergent that doesn't exist although it should.

Name and the blue bottle suggests a common aqua-calone-ocean-sport-young-twit fragrance, but it's not. It's wonderfully made unique, vital juice that works like a soothing antidepressant, in which the clinical and pharmacy like presentation fitts like a fist in the eye.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Tabacco by I Profumi di Firenze

My recent exploration into Italian fragrances brought me to this somewhat obscure Florentine outfit called I Profumi di Firenze whose fragrances are reportedly 'inspired' by 16th century formulas commissioned by (drum rolls...) Caterina de Medici! As my time machine is still under repair, there is no way I could verify those claims in time for this mini review.

First on my sampling list was TABACCO. Its opening is mildly herbal and soapy, unfolding rapidly on my skin to reveal a floral heart with muguet paving the way for the fragrant nicotiana aka tobacco flower. At this juncture I could not help but picture the anguish on the faces of tobacco-loving male fans. Sorry guys, this is NOT your dream pipe tobacco scent but more of a floral tobacco blend, with some Mysore sandalwood shoring up the base. Sillage is modest, extending further with soaring temperatures while lasting power is not too shabby.

What I enjoy most about this fragrance is the breezy and organic feel of the composition. Nothing feels 'forced'. The ingredients seem to be of good quality. While the tobacco flower could afford to linger a bit longer but on the balance, the smooth slightly smoky sandalwood drydown probably more than makes up for the nicotiana's premature(?) departure.

sherapop's avatar

New York Fling by Bond No. 9

There is a glaring omission from the notes above for Bond no 9 NEW YORK FLING: ginger. In fact, to my nose, this is a light gingery citrus with only very faint florality. I have no idea why this is categorized as a fragrance for women, as it is as unisex as they come: right down the line between masculine and feminine, very ambiguous, all in all.

I reviewed NEW YORK FLING at The Other site about a year ago, based on a sample vial, and now having acquired a bottle and worn the fragrance on several occasions, I feel even more confident in my claim that this is not a floral fragrance. I wore NEW YORK FLING to my dentist appointment today, where I was scheduled to have a filling replaced and was quaking in fear that it might be one of those "simple filling turns into a $3K root canal + crown"-type scenarios of which I've heard so much, but fortunately nothing of the sort transpired. What did happen was that my dentist went crazy over NEW YORK FLING. Here were her words: "You smell so good: is that perfume?" My response: "yes." To which she replied, "You smell like you just took a shower."

I rest my case. QED.

spice's avatar

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

Ripe. Charming. Gives me obscene thoughts about secretaries.

13th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th July, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Acqua di Selva is a quintessential old guard fragrance. "Dated" doesn't apply: it is not at all modern yet I don't find it anachronistic either. Timeless may be a better term.

It opens with a blast of lemon oil (see YSL Pour Homme) which shouts above the crowd like Mario Savio at a '60s rally. Shortly thereafter the moss blankets the proceedings like Bay Area fog. I can't verify that AdS is faithful to the original 1949 aroma, but this mossiness seems period-correct. I can imagine Porfirio Rubirosa or David Niven sporting this. The moss and the herbs give it a very green and very Italian character.

This is still available Stateside and at a bargain to boot. Recommended to any man looking for a nostalgic dose of midcentury perfumery.

13th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2011)

barclaydetolly's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This really has grown on me. I used to think it smelled like urine, but now I like its vanilla and cinnamon quite a bit. Warning: the women I know are polarized by this one, nearly down the middle; half love it, half hate it.

13th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th May, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

Kenzoair by Kenzo

I tested this woody-aromatic for the first time inside a Sain Petersburg's parfumery a frosty sunny winter morning and i remember to have deeply inhaled, while smelling my wrist barely outdoor, a sort of tangy, balsamic, mentholated smell of vetiver blended with anise (angelica). I agree who with writes that this vetiver accord is energizing and prickly (even because of the usage of pepper). This minimalistic fragrance grounds its foudationon over a synthetic accord of citrus-vetiver-anise-ambergris-spices (close as smell to the Juliette Has a Gun Not a Perfume's Cetalox) which comes out as a sort of incensey aromatic smell of herbs, roots, humid woods and liquorice. Very airy and woodsy as the smell of wet wood in a wet forest. Sant Petersburg, with its golden domes, was majestic that day while i was observing the glaring iridescence of the ice's gleam and the sparkling drops falling from the wet branches.

13th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th October, 2014)

SirScent's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

A Most Wonderful Clean Fragrance with Decent Longevity.
    In some similarities, a lighter,fresher version of Ocean Rain by Mario Valentino.
    Thumbs up for this wonderful creation!

nikitary's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This smell literally induces vomiting. I have never smelt anything so vile!!!

I did not think it was possible for a fragrance to smell this disgusting! I would rather smell the vapour on a landfill, and I am not joking or exaggerating one damn bit!

The projection and longevity are great! I put it on my wrist at the start of lunch, when I went to a nearby department store. Walking back to the office, I could not keep my writs far enough from my face, every little breeze of air put this disgusting smell in to my nose.

I washed it off with soap before I sat down to eat, but could still not get away from this horrible smell! It ruined my lunch. Even typing this, I have my keyboard as far away from me as possible and about to go try and wash this of for the second time!

I cannot smell it for long enough to be able to describe it, but I am not lying when I say “I want to be sick”.

I cannot give this crap a score of 0/10, because that would mean that I’d have to rate the smell of fresh feces at around 7-8/10

.Genie.'s avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

L'Agent by Agent Provocateur

Another fantastic fragrance from Agent Provocateur- full of seductive personality and considerable depth. At first, its very niche smelling, you know straight away that this is not a watery thin mainstream offering and its not a fragrance for frou-frou, fruity-floral devotees. Its going to take an assertive woman who likes to cross over to the dark side once in a while, to wear this.
    Woodsy, spicy, resinous and bold, a certain dusty cinnamon-like spice immediately reminds me of Lutens' Rousse. The familiar dry chypre aspect of the original AP is definitely present, but this time, the brittle-dry rose and patchouli are anchored with charred woods and dark, earthy incense. I love the darkness of this fragrance, its foreboding and very ancient feeling. The staying power is incredible, the incense leaves an earthen, smokey trail along your skin for hours. Its like old magick in a bottle.

AnimaSola's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

This juice is a stunningly refined and utterly elegant citrus and mint melange. The "mojito" aspect is there in a subtle and luxurious mode. If you are fond of green and citron blends then this jewel of a fragrance is for you. It is in the superlative style of Eau Sauvage, Eau de Caron and Nina Ricci scents. There is nothing linear or trendy about GH; it is classic Guerlain quality and sophistication throughout. I do not understand the negative reviews of this gorgeous perfume. A Heavenly Creation!

14th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 15th July, 2011)

Niccolo's avatar

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

I really like this fragrance! I don't seem to have longevity problem that many people on here seem to have, although I do find that it tapers off quite rapidly after 2.5 hours to a point where it's still there, just at a closer proximity (say from 2 metres when fresh, to 1 later on) . After 19 hours it can sometimes still faintly smelt it on my wrists.
    This fragrance isn't a real head-turner, it has a limited proximity (can't be smelt from a long way away) and the smell isn't "spicy" (can't really think of a better word at the moment). It's smooth and pleasant, I also find that I can pick out alot of the individual notes. While it's not all that captivating, I like the smell, I get compliments about it and I'm comfortable wearing it, what more can one ask for?

14th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th July, 2011)

le mouchoir de monsieur's avatar

France France

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

OK: I'm finally going to do this. Yes, basenoteurs, I'm a renegade. You all knew that, didn't you? My finger has been itching for months now and I am finally breaking down and spilling on OC: I don't like it. Now, this is huge coming from me, the quintessential and ultimate lavender maniac. Anybody interested in starting a lavender boxing match? I'm your man: I know them all by heart--at least the ones that matter. Here's how it pans out: Effectively, OC screams holy grail for about three seconds when first applied: It's dry, tart and minty with a hint of the very english geranium floating about in it--but then...oh, but then.... it falls flat on it's aristocratic sunburnt nose. Knocks the tea tray clean off the table. Any lavender lover will tell you that lavender does not translate well to incense, and this is precisely what OC harkens--to wit--lavender incense. What truly does set it apart is its longevity and the sincerity with which it is presented. Clearly, this is very fine. Obviously, this is expensive. This is nothing like any other lavender soliflore out there. Serge Lutens "Gris Clair" comes to mind, but that's about as far as it goes. Here's my reasoning. A lavender fancier does not want a gong show of epic proportion in sillage and effect. A lavender fancier does not wish to deodorize a room upon entering it. This would lead one to infer that OC is a kind of nuclear age lavender created for the younger set with damaged noses. It's purple! It's loud! It's glamorous! It's remarkable! It turns heads! This gets sickening after awhile, and it simply won't stop being spectacular. It tries so very painfully hard to be The Best Lavender In The World, and ends up simply being the most potent. If you want indelible lavender that won't go away and explodes in every direction, in everyone's face, screaming relentlessly away at the top of it's lungs that it's rich, privileged and better than you, you got it. If you are a true lavender fancier, you will toss this in the bin: It doesn't even do for scenting linens. The absolute antithesis of what a lavender soliflore should be. A more fitting and clever name for it would be "Eau de Rah," but I'm afraid that would be too subtle: True to itself, it must spell out its status in ultra-violet and screeching white....OXFORD....and....and CAMVRIDGE!!!!!...."By appointment to lovers of the obvious."

14th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd August, 2011)

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

It was supposedly the Tom of Finland Foundation that commissioned this fragrance; yet it's more likely to have been put out by the Family Planning Association smelling, as it does, like a big ol' condom. It has heaving aldehydic pecs topped with sassy lemon nipples, and street fighter arms of vanilla and tonka; it tapers down to a 14 year old boy's waist of saffron – slight yet striking. Longevity is faultless, but the drydown comes too quickly and is a mess, ousting the far more interesting rubber accord and Depeche Mode-type stuff, and Tom of Finland lingers on as an insufferably sweet and nondescript mishap. What a bummer.

fsatsil's avatar

Burt's Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Cologne by Burt's Bees

I like this one its all natural,inexpensive, and smells good. Its a very fresh mix of citrus and woods and its perfect for casual use in the spring/summer.

Darvant's avatar

Iris by L'Erbolario

Very similar to Teint de Neige by Villoresi but sweeter and lacking that balanced, dry-powdery, barely sweet temperament of the Villoresi's one with its dreadful sophistication of rose and heliotrope. In this from l'Erbolario the floral note is less royal,  more creamy-sugary and the wake is not as changing and indented as in the other one. The note of tobacco is blended in order to tame the sweetness and to impress a more shadowy and smoky touch to the powder but hardly manages to do that because overcome by the sweetness of sugar and vanilla. The note of musk is too faint in front of the sugary vanilla. Longevity and sillage are in the average.

RobAtSGH's avatar

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella

SMN's Acqua di Cuba is the one fragrance that, so far, has got the best of me. Overpowering, acrid, metallic, stomach-turning - even sprayed from a distance as to only lightly mist the skin. It's a smell that pushes all the wrong olfactory buttons for me, and literally makes me nauseous. This is a shame because I'm no stranger to (smoking) tobaccos, can appreciate a fine cigar, and enjoy the smell of English pipe tobacco redolent with Latakia. A tobacconist smells heavenly to me - a full humidor, exquisite.

I can't imagine smelling like this all day. It would put me off my feed. Maybe SMN can market it as a dieting aid.

scentpacking's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

this jucie is extremely comforting. feminine ? perhaps . can a guy pull this off? i think so . well i do anyhow !!!.it smells really nice and sweet .very gourmand .dont dismiss it cos its a gaultier- its not as popular as his other offerings . havent smelled it on anyone else . thats gotta be a reason to buy it . a thumbs up certainly

scentpacking's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

Too old man for my liking. smells ok .but sold the bottle within a week.its spicy but too old fashioned imo . not my cup of earl gray

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher

Smells like thousands other aquatic fragrances. Reminds me of azzaro chrome which I hate.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

opens very citrusy, like the classic eau de cologne. It definitely has jasmine in it which reminds me of eau sauvage.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Indescribably ordinary. It smells like the scent of hundreds other guys. If you want to stand out don't buy this. However it doesn't smell bad and you probably won't offend anyone.

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

Like someone was trying to make a spicy soap. Not the usual 'oriantal spicy' though, no clove or cinnamon or nutmeg. It immediately reminds me of 'clean' like a bedroom with linen blankets, semi-opened blinds, flowers on the window and some potpourri in the wardrobe. There's a church nearby and a garden with herbs. Not the big city by all means. Quiet happiness, lazy summer afternoons with a book.
    The thing spoiling the deal for me is that in the drydown it becomes a carbon copy of Montana Parfum d'Homme with its freshly cut tobacco, oakmoss and herbs (being a rustic doppelganger of Aramis Havana). ANd it spoils the deal mostly because I remember how excited I was when I bought Parfum d'Homme and then how I was completely unable to wear it. If you don't think that Montana and Aramis are dated smells then this won't spoil it for you.

15th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 16th July, 2011)