Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Attar's avatar

Scotland Scotland

What About Adam by Joop!

This is my first review and I wanted to start off writing about one of my all time favorite fragrances. Sadly this one has been discontinued for a long time now and is damn near impossible to find!

Developed by french master perfumer Calice Becker and launched around 1997 back when she worked for a company called Quest International.
    The company soon was bought over by Givaudan who she now works for in New York. Since then she has went on to work with many big brand names such as Christian Dior and Estee Lauder. She has helped create and shape many unique fragrances and her skills and nose are much sought after by people in the perfume industry today.

This was one of her first fragrances that she created and I love how she makes the comparison to her approach in perfume making as a bit like a cook in the kitchen creating recipes for loved ones.

Personally I think "Joop: What about Adam" is a unique fresh and clean masculine fragrance that harmoniously balances fruity and floral tones. This starts off with a very citrus and sparkling mix of grapefruit that has undertones of rich earthy tomato leaves and refreshing minty notes that has a medium sillage on first impressions.

Throughout the day this fragrance looses its zesty punch that it initially delivers and develops into a mixture of dry woody and green herbal middle notes that stay intimatley close to the skin.
    Towards the end of it's life this fragrance still has one more secret to reveal and that is in the form of an ancient old mix of vetiver and labdanum complimented by sweet smelling vanilla and sumptuous tree dwelling oakmoss.

This scent is recommended for office wear perhaps because it's not heavy but instead has a light and airy quality about it, i find that it works just as well on a hot summers day even right through to a cool crisp winter evening. ( another fragrance i find that does this particularly well is "Happy for men" by Clinique with its crisp christmassy orange notes)

For me this "memory fragrance" reminds me of meeting my first love (I was wearing this when we met) and spending the cool spring afternoons alone with her in a garden somewhere. Playful yet innocent and youthful on first encounters then devloping into something more deeper,thoughtful and enduring.
    It encapsulates the more masculine side of the Adam and Eve story and it can clearly be seen in the product name that it was Calice Beckers inspiration for creating this unique mix.

Final thought about this fragrance is that it's unique but not as bold as others out there on the market today that SHOUT "Hey look at me" . This fragrance is more gentle and comforting and does not even come close to any of the Joop fragrances that came before or after it.
    This one is a bit like Joop's unloved child that was out shined and overpowered by others in their fragrance line and has since been disowned by the company.

It's a shame this happens and since then I have been searching for that perfect green scent that reminds me of this but no one i know of has got the composition right yet.

This fragrance is like a personality bottled up and I find that it suits me so well, when i wear it i get compliments from both men and women asking where i got it and what i have on.
    The rarity of this makes it even more unique and just knowing that no one I know has this makes it even more special for me.

Lastly i wanted to add that this fragrance has such a strong personal meaning for me, so much so that i even attempted to recreate it using pure juice extracted from the raw materials listed and i even went out and collected my own oakmoss but to no avail as the mix and balance was all wrong. lol (amateur at best).

Somewhere out there is a girl that adores the female counter part of this as much as i love this one..and if ever we met i would instantly know "All about Eve"

Also i feel sympathy for the guy that wrote the negative review on here about him coming out the shower all crispy fresh after using the full product line only to find out that his wife can't stand it. Sorry to hear that lol ...but my girlfriend loved this on me and coincidentally her favorite perfume is J'adore by Christian Dior also created by Calice Becker!

This woman is an olfactory genius and for this creation her inspiration was Adam and Eve, a timeless but universal story of when boy meets girl.

17th July, 2011

Back to Black by By Kilian

I quite liked it when I first tried Back to Black. Within an hour it turned on me; the smell of sour honey and body odor overwhelmed the tobacco. When my lady friend smelled it on me, she told me to report to the bathroom immediately and wash it off. So far, for me, Tobacco Vanille is the only tobacco scent worth owning.

17th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd July, 2011)

jimmysmellworld's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

Ignore the initial loud/synthetic opening; this dries down to a beautiful fresh, clean linen/hint of tobacco scent. A fantastic and individual fragrance and one of my best 'blind buys' at a reasonable price. The only reason that this is not as popular as the likes of l'eau d'issey and ADG is that when testing in store, some people would be put off by the initial opening which is a blessing in disguise for fans of this fragrance. It works fabulously when applied lightly to clothing too for a nightclub environment etc

can be worn on any occasion (give it 1/2 hour to dry down first)

will work in any climate weather (spring if i had to choose)

The most complimented of my small yet growing collection (seriously messes with a girls hormones, if your in this to get compliments from women, look no further)

17th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th July, 2011)

jimmysmellworld's avatar

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

A light floral which dries down to a slightly creamy/buttery vibe. I also get a hint of something metallic somewhere in there that makes me picture aluminum shavings mixed with flower petals. I initially got the impression of something very feminine but after several wears it hit me as masculine, just light and inoffensive. The name 'power' is not very fitting. The bottle is beautiful. longevity is ok for this type of fragrance

I would wear this during the day as its an ideal work/office scent

Perfect summer fragrance would not be fitting for the winter

I have received FAR more compliments that I expected from this fragrance in work. A definite 'nice and clean' smell.

17th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 26th July, 2011)

spice's avatar

La Chasse Aux Papillons Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Psychedelic butterfly white flower nectar.

17th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29th July, 2011)

Sables by Annick Goutal

In perfumery Immortal is a dangerous element as it easily becomes overwhelming with its monolitic presence and with its "love or hate" smell. Only a very few perfumes listing this plant in the pyramid note list can be considered as completely successful (i.e. Histoires De Parfums 1740 or Eldo's Like This). Sables is surely among these.

If you ever happened to sniff a real plant of Immortal you probably realized how characteristic and unmistakeable its smell is, and Sables opening gives a tremendously realistic interpretation of the plant. An INTENSE and rich mixture of burnt sugar and fenugreek that's aromatic and almost pungent, bold with a "WTF" effect.
    The perfumeur decided to push this effect to the limit creating an almost brutal and mono-note fragrance with the only addiction of an ambery note. Masculine and very distinctive yet not so easy to be appreciated. Wether you'll like this composition or not it really depends on how you like Immortal as basically is all we're talking about. Personally I'm addicted.

Note: be carefull, this stuff is insanely powerful.

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chene is Luten's hidden gem. While it haven't reached the poularity of other masterpieces of the house such us Muscs Koublai Kahn, Ambre Sultan or Iris Silver Mist, it would surely deserve an higher status as one of the most wearable and balanced fragrances among the Sheldrake's compositions for the Palais Royal.

Chene opens moderately sweet (considering is from Lutens), slightly honeyed (beeswax) and oakwood driven. A boozy vibe is immediately detectable but it's perfectly blended to never be overwhelming. Cedarwood and oakmoss take over in the middle phase and in the drydown adding a sharp edge that's quite unusual among the Lutens yet the fragrance mantains an incredible balance and wearability. With its dark, deep, green and mossy allure, Chene perfectly conjures the image of a forest in the fall and became one of my favourite composition from this house. Highly recommended.

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

Anyone into gourmandic fragrances should try Aomassai as it's one of the most complex, original and compelling compositions in the genre. Caramel, nuts and vanilla represented in their roasted/smoky side. Burnt sugar, hints of incense and "sweet" liquorice join the party in the drydown. Dark, deep and very distinctive.

While I'm usually not into gourmandic fragrances I believe Aomassai brings this genre to a brand new level that's far from being cloying, overly sweet or simply "appetizing", introducing some darkness and mistery to a cathegory that too often is an end in itself.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

SMW is a very unique scent. At first, I didn't like its inky metallic vibe; but after a while, the blackberry tea scent won me over. I'm on the fence about whether it's bottle-worthy, but it's a nice scent that is distinct from the other Creed Millesimes.

17th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2012)

Halston 1-12 by Halston

This was my "go-to" scent when I was in High School and during my first years of College. I recently bought a bottle, and found that the harshness and synthetic chemical notes are much more likely to offend me now than they used to. Who knows; maybe it's been reformulated. I don't remember it being so cheap when I was younger, so maybe some of the ingredients have changed. In any event, it's extreme inexpensiveness (less than many mini sample bottles of other brands) means that it's a decent blind buy, but I no longer have affection for this once great scent.

17th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 25th February, 2012)

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Well, it's the end of civilization as we know it: Ed Hardy's name is attached to a decent product. This is a cross between Millesime Imperial and Bleu de Chanel -- imagine if MI had a bit more mint in it, and were made with synthetic ingredients. Pretty decent stuff, and the price is great. Does it have the depth of MI or Bleu, or smell as good? Nope. But its much cheaper, and you could do much worse.

17th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 23rd July, 2012)

Darvant's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

This flanker is for sure more wearable than the original version which i prefer because is bolder, brasher and more complex than this. Basically Pure Malt is a softer version of A*Men that almost lacks of the original A*men's metal accord of mint and lavender while features a whisky initial peaty note standing out till the end but becoming softer and softer along the trip. A notable feature is indeed a sort of "smokey-tobacco" and a bit tarry undertone because of the usage of a peaty malt initial note. I smell an identical use of caramel and less developed notes of chocolate and patchouli with a touch of smoked malt lingering around till the end. While at the beginning the whisky note jumps out more dry and wearable than the original A*Men's explotion of metal-watery caramel, along the evolution the smell settles down in to a sort of almost identical, may be a touch smoother, chocolate-coffee-caramel-patchouli-vanilla dry down may be a touch less syrupy and with a less developed gourmand temperament and patchouli in order of not overcoming at all the initial aroma of malt. Along the trip i smell some dry fruits as berries and a subdued usage of woodsy notes (musk for instance). A tamed A* Men that lacks of the roaring icy-metallic-gourmand patchouli beat of the original one.

17th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 03rd July, 2014)

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

Quite sweet but has a bright quality which is attractive. Airy, a bit fruity like the gritty skin of pears. Also get the peaches which some have mentioned, in particular the fuzzy skin of peaches. Fruit skin seems to be the key here. Metallic and a bit nutty at times (almonds). Not at all my style. Not floral as far as I can tell. Seems too sunny and innocent to be a truly dangerous liaison.

Love by By Kilian

Soooooooo sweet and cutsey. Like a caramel candy left in the sun, all oozy and smooshy. I get a headache smelling it and even thinking about it. Wretched stuff.

Izzy's avatar

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

This reminds me of Marc Jacobs Bang at the begining but the smell of this fragrance is more tame. Just perfect!

pimiento's avatar

English Leather by Dana

I don't normally go out of my way just to talk about how bad a fragrance is but wow... I saw this for sale at $6 and thought 'what a find!' so i dabbed it on my wrist and it was by far the most off-ptting cologne I've ever smelled. I thought royal copenhagen was a bit urine-like but compared, this is pure urine mixed with baby powder and I, along with the rest of the people with me who I made smell it, smelled nothing more

Red Theodora's avatar

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Cashmere Mist is a nice, inoffensive scent. To me it's a powdery amber with floral florishes. Not an outstanding fragrance, but pleasant.

wardamoose's avatar

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

Love it. Cool, citrus blast at the beginning and keeps a nice light beach scent throughout. I really love this fragrance, it is a great summer scent. Highly recommend it. Also, I don't know how people think this is a synthetic scent, it's citrus obviously natural. Maybe these people have never picked fresh citrus, but this scent is great.

GalaBrand's avatar

Wet Garden by Demeter Fragrance Library

You know when you bring home a big bunch of flowers and set about cutting them up, picking off leaves and arranging them into big vases of water? That smell? Well that is exactly what Wet Garden smells like to me. Real plants and blooms in water. Its actually quite lovely with a very realistic fresh earthy note, but this is more than a Demeter ‘novelty’ fragrance, it feels like a genuine scent! And it certainly has more longevity than the rest of the line.
    Despite being full and rounded it is rather linear but here is a tip – layer this with white or green florals and it’ll turn those icy, creamy or herbal blooms into something rather more luscious, dirty and well, wet… in fact pop this little gem over the top of Fracas and you have a rather good (cut price) version of Carnal Flower.

Could you wear it with a hangover? Most certainly, nothing like burying your nose deep in a freshly cut flower to awaken the senses.

No. 5 by Chanel

This is an absolute classic. If I had a love of my life this would be it. I have been picking this out of my mothers dresser since I was 5. 15 years later, it is still my signature fragrance. So warm, so luscious, so sophisticated - a real masterpiece.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

This is the Chanel - along with eau tendre - for people that are not able to appreciate Chanel. I owned this fragrance when I was 15. I am personally tired of the new advertising campaign and all these teenage girls raving about it and saying that it is better than the Chanel classics. Mademoiselle is a younger, cheaper and hookerish version of Coco. It is a flanker that does not even COMPARE. I guarantee anyone that owns or likes CM does not like No. 5 nor Coco. I don't think Coco herself would have created something like this.

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I am not really one for intense florals but this is INCREDIBLE. It has turned me over to true, lush floral scents. It is refreshing, feminine and beautiful. I feel like a true Grace Kelly when I wear this. Masterpiece - new or vintage.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Gaïac by Martine Micallef

Martine Micallef's Gaiac enthralls like a bonfire, fuelled by caramelized leaves and milky gaiac, with a clove-tinged nighttime breeze gnawing at the edges (this clove note is daunting at first, but eventually mellows out). The scent is more sweet than woody, though not syrupy, and is closer to Christopher Brosius' Burning Leaves than to Annick Ménardo's Gaiac 10 (Le Labo), while also bearing comparison with the smoky, jasmine-anointed vanilla of Gorilla Perfumes' Vanillary. All in all, Gaiac is an uncomplicated delight and strikes an admirable balance between log cabin rusticity and dinner party chic.

jabadiba's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

simple, elgant but dificult at the beguining. recently applied is abit confusing, but as soon as it settles, WOW!!!! specially the orange blossom. it is my very top favorite.

jabadiba's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

it is very elegant, classy and a perfect unisex aroma. it is old fashion and modern. I belive you can find this fragance amog the atendees of a polo match or a horse competition. let me be clear, it dosen't smells like horse! ok? one of my top 5.

nosov's avatar

The Natural by Gap

I picked it up at TJMaxx for $7.99. It's a decent, natural smelling sharp citrus fragrance. It lasts quite a long time for this type of edt (4+ hrs).
    To me it smells a lot like the much more expensive Jo Malone's "Lime Basil & Mandarin Cologne".

Chloé Eau de Parfum Intense by Chloé

In comparison with the new EdT version of Chloe, this is not as sweet or floral. I'd say therefore that it is not "intense", actually it is more sheer and low-key than the EdT. There are some wood tones, and the rose note has a modest profile. There is also a hint of peppery spice. I get a metallic/ peach-skin note at the end, perhaps a synthetic note.

Darvant's avatar

Lavender by Floris

Fresh, airy, delicate and a bit clean laundry type. The smell of my grandfather with his white clothes and the walking stick. Aromatic and boise'. A bit grassy and salty at the beginning. Minimalistic. Sadly discontinued.

whitelace's avatar

In Control Curious by Britney Spears

Straight to the creme brulee and middle notes, I couldn't detect the loquat fruit at all. That being said, I found the scent soft, rich and creamy. I love it. I'm giving it a neutral though because the spray mechanism is ineffective and awkward to use. I have to open the bottle & dab. The bottle is a pretty dresser decoration.

Bigsly's avatar

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

I drink "red tea," but I don't really want to wear it. I also don't like fig notes, so this isn't something that appeals to me. After no more than about two hours, it is very weak. If you are a tea fragrance fan, you might want to try this, as it is natural smelling. I don't find it complex enough, though it is rich, for a while at least.