Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Bosque by Humiecki & Graef

This is a real nature scent. It starts with good citrus notes. These are followed by a lovely grass/meadow which is distinctive and persistent. The chord has a kind of minty aspect, and also a dusky tone which may be from the saffron. The buffalo grass melds into grassy vetiver. Hay - mint - grass, with a toasted nut edge. At times there are floral notes but these are not overdone. Sometimes there is a bit of a powdery note, but it is not sweet or heavy -- in fact the mint sort of note freshens it. I appreciate this scent for being intriguing and different from so many scents.

18th July, 2011

Darvant's avatar

Chrome Sport by Azzaro

A lighter version of the original with abundance of fruits in the top (notable the "aquatic" grapefruit), an airy heart with the soaring effect of pure oxygen and a lighter grassy-musky aquatic dry down lacking of the consistence of heavy wood and delicate in its flying cloudy oxygenated notes of ambergris and musk. A less metallic of the original version this flanker is a very flying aquatic with a remarkable projection.

18th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 19th July, 2011)

Chloé (new) by Chloé

This is a very pretty and young-oriented floral. It has various soft flower notes, no one stands out for me. It is sweet but not obnoxious or heavy.

18th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2011)

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Reflection Man by Amouage

Reflection man.. One of the few fragrances that made me feel sick! That was at the time I didn`t know how much to apply. The trick here is to go very light on the trigger. One spray extra can ruin this fragrance. One spray under the shirt, one spray on the fingertip and just dab it on your neck, and the result is perfect. It`s a type of fragrance that`s very nice to smell from time to time, but not on a everyday basis. Too much of it can give you a headache. If you like Le Male and Antico Caruso, you will probably like this also. I changed my rating from negativ to positiv, after I "learned" the right way to apply it. Used sparingly, It`s actualy quite sexy and unique. Smells very expensive. The bottle is a work of art.

18th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 23rd October, 2011)

jabadiba's avatar

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

at first I felt it as a very dry fragance, but as time went by the citrus aroma came alive and made me love it. good fixer, I could say, a mature mans fragance.

18th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29th March, 2013)

Lovescully's avatar

Cool Water Freeze Me by Davidoff

I am in complete agreement that the ‘freeze me’ gimmick that tries to sell this flanker is silly. People have been putting 4711 and the like in their fridges and freezers for decades, so this is hardly a new concept. That said, I quite like this take on Davidoff’s hugely popular Cool Water.

It’s definitely citrusy in the opening, but not sweet citrus like the ‘Summer Fizz’ versions from past years; which reminded me so strongly of lemonade and faded after an hour or two. The mid and base notes of ‘freeze me’ don’t stray all that far from the original, but there is enough of a difference that if you need yet another fruity aquatic in your wardrobe, this is a good buy. For a summer version of Cool Water, I get surprisingly good longevity from this. It’s still going strong at least 5 hours after application. Sillage is on a par with the original.

Although it’s listed as discontinued, I didn’t have too much trouble tracking this down and only paying about $30 Aussie for a 125ml bottle. If you already have and love Cool Water, I probably wouldn’t bother with this. However, if like me you have run out of the original and can find this going cheap, why not give it a go.

Gold by Donna Karan

I took a chance on Donna Karan GOLD and am very happy that I did. The reviews I'd seen were really mixed: some caught cucumber, others pencil shavings, still others touted GOLD as a masterpiece. To my nose, the opening of GOLD bears similarities to Lalique FLORA BELLA. No idea why, frankly, given that lily is the star of the GOLD show, while the Lalique composition has a hefty orchid note. But maybe that is after all part of the explanation, since lilies and orchids, in my experience, share a kind of dark, almost dirty quality. Not that GOLD smells dirty. Nor do I catch any cucumber or pencil shavings. And my biggest concern, that the clove would be too much—as one reviewer finds—has no basis in reality. I do not even smell the clove as an individual note, so skillfully is this blended.

How to describe GOLD, in the end? I'd say that it has a kind of genuine nobility to it, thus earning its name. A beautiful, slightly oriental, lily-rich floral composition with great longevity and an addictive quality. Now I really need to take up FLORA BELLA again, as my perceptions of that perfume have changed quite a bit since having acquired a bottle...

Jacomo for Her by Jacomo

I've given the house of Jacomo a few tries, always in the hopes that it might prove to be as bizarre yet worthy as that of Balmain, which for some inscrutable reason offers bona fide perfumes at bargain bin prices. In fact, with each Jacomo encounter, my hopes have been dashed, and JACOMO FOR HER is no exception to the rule. This mild, muddy floriental with a relatively declarative patchouli note does not commit the sin of sour synthetic sandalwood perfumes, nor is it too sweet. The lily-of-the-valley note, too, is not the horrific one found in Coty's ghastly reformulation of MUGUET DES BOIS.

Instead, the problem I find with JACOMO FOR HER is that it is simply too vague, the same problem I have with PARADOX, which I've tried to like but in the end feel is, again, simply too foggy for my tastes. I prefer crisp clean lines or thick assertive orientals, and with the creations of the house of Jacomo, I always feel that the presentation of even notes that I usually love has been muted somehow. This smells to me how even a fine perfume might seem to someone who is totally zoned out on sedatives. JACOMO FOR HER is certainly wearable enough, but it's not a creation that I'd reach for before, say, dozens—or even hundreds—of other perfumes. I just find it too wishy washy, in the end. Désolée.

Darvant's avatar

Axe Orion by Axe / Lynx

Aromatic woodsy neroli. A balsamic deodorant.

Postumo's avatar

Spain Spain

Incense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio

One of the best true to life Incenses i've ever tried. It's clear you need to love incense to love this, because it is what it is. The name suits perfectly
    Thumbs up for sure!

Night Scented Stock by Penhaligon's

A lovely floral feminine scent. Some good spicy notes in the beginning. Very sweet and pretty, a blend of many floral notes. Quite weighty in character but natural smelling. Not cloying. The dry-down is interesting, some woody and earthy notes there. The vanilla and patchouli are restrained, not foreground. Not my style but I can appreciate it.

Fleurine's avatar

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Beautiful beyond words. A huge mesmerizing tower. PoL Opens with a breeze of currants and berries then a breathtaking rose that is so big is it difficult to perceive, on top bone dry incense/patchouli and oudh Words cannot convey the majesty of this fragrance. Could be worn by anyone except a wallflower. This is my current top pick out of my entire wardrobe.

AnimaSola's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

A good, but very understated, cologne from D&G. It is very discreet and seductive in the dry down.

Bigsly's avatar

Worth pour Homme by Worth

The lavender is strong at first, and perhaps with the rosemary, creates that "hair spray" type quality that some people refer to when reviewing fragrances with top notes like this. It softens up, slowly at first, then quickly after an hour or so. I get quite a bit of moss in this fragrance, and it's quite similar to Azzaro Pour Homme, minus the anise note, once you get to the middle. The base is quite weak, so I have to spray more than usual to get decent longevity. Anyway, this may be best thought of as Azzaro Pour Homme with anise subtracted and leather added, especially after the top notes subside. It's now selling for next to nothing on ebay and some online discounters, so if you are a fan of this type of fragrance it would seem to be a "no-brainer" to grab one now.

green_clay's avatar

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

A stand-out for all the wrong reasons; one of only two perfumes I've tested that have made me want to run screaming from my wrist whilst my stomach flip-flopped with nausea (the other was Secretions Magnifiques). All I get here from start to scrub is burnt rubbery hazelnuts turned up to 11. Like a radioactive Yankee Candle.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

Review of the re-issue in 2010 by Gorilla Perfume, previously B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful:

Breaths come in pairs, except for two times in our lives – the beginning and the end. Happily, Simon Constantine here keeps them coupled and Breath of God is a living, breathing, monument of perfumery, alternating with the unpredictable rhythms of respiration between Inhale's fruity florals and Exhale's smoky woods. Sometimes the transitions are imperceptible; lemon bleeds into cedar, watermelon fuses with vetiver, grapefruit mates with cade oil. Other times fantastic collisions ensue: it can be simultaneously cool as a cucumber and feverishly incensed; watermelon soppy yet charcoal parched. And if this is the Breath of God he must've just brushed his teeth, for the fragrance is mentholated throughout with a mint note that delicately straddles all of these surreal, hybridized sensations.

True, it could be awkward finding oneself wearing Breath of God in a queue at the post office, or stuck in an elevator. This stuff spurns the trivial and anonymous with its unrestrained imagination – but this is likewise the wellspring of its strange genius.

SirSlarty's avatar

Molinard Homme I by Molinard

Starts of really nice with a green woodsy feel and a light oakmoss and light vetiver base. However, it is very boring and fleeting. Not amazing or even nice enough to wear.

FumeHood's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Duro by Nasomatto

Gotta disagree with Mr. Turin on this one. Perhaps I'm not as offended by synthetics, but I really dig the dark wood here - the unending resins that are generally at the basenotes of most complex masculine woods but, here, hit hard from the very top.

Yes it is too strong, and perhaps too expensive (though the mere single spray, over which I will not dare trespass, will in the future compensate for what I just paid for it). If you like the base of Memoir Man, the attack of Epic Man, or perhaps Montale's new Dark Aoud (and there is quite a bit of that particular pungent wood to be had here), this is worth trying.

I have a good feeling I might attempt some blends with this, as it is very linear and might benefit from a few other notes, perhaps some sweetness. Maybe this could add the missing Oud to L'Artisan's Al Oudh. I applied it three hours ago to my arm and can still see the oil on my skin - looks and feels more like attar than eau de parfum (and certainly packs the punch of an oil).

Synthetic? Novice? Sloppily Blended? Perhaps. But the scent succeeds in making me "duro."

Acqua Mirabile Odorosa di Firenze by I Profumi di Firenze

Whimsical name aside, this is a transparent watery floral that is lightly soapy, with notes of honeysuckle, muguet and just a hint of iris. Someone in MUA cracked me up by comparing it to the scent of drying laundry. Either she needs to get out of the house more often or I should be asking her for the brand name of her detergent.

Khan's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Bought this for the wife based on all the reviews and so thought it was going to be something amazing. But I couldn't wrong enough,Mitsouko smelt awful!! It smelt like an elderly women's wardrobe. Very strong and very flowery....its so strong it would knock out any bee in your area!!

Covet Pure Bloom Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

I wish that I could say that my enthusiasm for COVET extended to COVET PURE BLOOM, but, alas, I cannot. I still love the bottle, but this combination of essentially all of the notes omitted from COVET--with purple fruits and "abstract florals" dominating the show--is neither intriguing nor complex. Synthetic, yes indeed, and not in an appealing avant-garde way. This is the sort of perfume that gives "abstract florals" a very bad name.

I tried a sample of COVET PURE BLOOM last winter and was not at all appalled by it, so I decided to acquire a bottle, hoping to discover that this composition was "challenging" like its predecessor. Instead, I find that PURE BLOOM is difficult to wear but not challenging at all. It may be that this is a strictly cold weather composition, so I'll try again once the temperature has plummeted.

If I decide in the end that COVET PURE BLOOM is not for me even in the depths of winter--when forbidding purple liquids are far less volatile--I'll keep my bottle nonetheless so that I have a pair of water faucet handles: one purple, the other peridot. They look beautiful lined up next to one another. COVET is hot; COVET PURE BLOOM is cold.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

The King is dead, long live the King.

This stuff is AQUATASTIC. Have I used that word before? Well, I may have, but in this case I am implying that Wall Street is the best damn aquatic that I've ever smellled, exceeding even Millesime Imperial, which I had previously considered to be the best.

There isn't much more to say here, except that I will own a bottle soon, I just need to figure out if I want a delivery of a fragrance in this disgustingly hot summer, OR, am I going to venture into Manhattan or Stamford to hit up a Saks. Or I could wait a bit.

Protip - Spray this on your clothes because your skin may absorb certain elements of the scent leaving behind an unacceptable odor.

Edited because I misspelled "King" in the opening line. Can you believe that?

19th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2011)

AnimaSola's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

This was the fragrance that I pretended to love because it seemed so sophisticated prominently displayed in department stores. I haven't taken a whiff of this stuff in years nor do I desire to do so. I became bored with this cologne very fast. This is a fragrance that belongs in the past and it has no redeeming qualities or relevance to me now. Brash, bright, plebeian, overrated and oh-so 1970.

19th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 27th August, 2011)

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

L by Lolita Lempicka

I love this perfume. I feel so funny happy girly girl in it. My boyfriend said I smell good enough to eat; like a truffle.

It makes me want to wear a cotton candy bra, like I could be in the video for Katy Perry's "California Girls". The good thing is that it isn't sickeningly sweet, but more of a nostalgic sweet. It reminds me of when my grandma made homemade sweets for me to eat on Christmas morning.

I love love love it. It also has a bit of a beachy feel to it and since I grew up near the beach, it doubles the nostalgia for me. This is definitely one of my go-to scents for a date when I wear my girly girl cashmere sweaters with a flouncy skirt and sexy shoes. It's sweet but grown up sexy at the same time.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

Sometimes less really is more, and Annick Goutal EAU D'HADRIEN perhaps exists precisely in order to demonstrate this verity. Unfortunately, tempus fugit, and so does EAU D'HADRIEN, faster than the father of an unwanted child, I'm afraid.

Of course, all good things must come to an end, but EAU D'HADRIEN edt is extraordinarily evanescent on my skin. Looks as though I'll just have to try the edp, because this lemony-cypress wonderfulness has really won me over. We are in high EAU D'HADRIEN season here in Boston, and I'm reaching for this bottle all the time. Really this has turned out to be one of my favorite citrus compositions. EAU D'HADRIEN is to lemon and cypress as Hermes CONCENTRE D'ORANGE VERTE is, well, to green oranges!

I should add that my first encounter with this fragrance was less than felicitous, as I, too, encountered the dreaded Lemon Pledge effect reported by so many disappointed naysayers. I have since been persuaded to believe that Annick Goutal sample vials are undependable. This fragrance was launched in 1981. How long was my sample vial sitting in a warehouse? That is the question, and thanks to my natural predilection for skepticism, I went ahead and bought a bottle of this splendid citrus scent, on the strength of the rave reviews that it has received far and wide. I am delighted to be able to report that they were right! I stand corrected, and now will think twice before rendering a final judgment on any perfume based on a sample vial of unknown origin, handled in unknown conditions, and stored God knows where, for who knows how long?

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

Starts as aromatic, a bit sweet and somewhat synthetic/budget smelling.
    Some of the sweetness burns off quickly and we have a functional, mildly spicy-aromatic scent. Has a vague, sort of generic appeal but nothing particularly noteworthy here. A somewhat odd, (or out of context) freshly-baked bread note.
    Nothing wretched here so I give it a neutral.

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

Yeah, a bit more "intense" than the regular Play. Is it any better? No.
    This is a bit more woody, and the wood (at times) gives a slightly vanilla note, like old oak casks for wine. A fuller, rounder version of Play. No less sweet, and I like it less due to the quasi vanilla aspect.
    Kind of reminds me of warm apple pie on a wooden plank.

Izzy's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Smells like peanut butter!

Costa Mediterranea by I Profumi di Firenze

Two words: LOW KEY.

I don't know if it's meant to evoke the experience of sailing along the coast of Sicily but be prepared to douse yourself in this lightly aromatic citrus with rather briny overtones. It works better on fabric however, to take you all the way from Marsala to Agrigento. Otherwise you'd probably need to make a port of call stop at Sciacca.

Notes:
    Sicilian Lemon, Lemon Blossom, Calabrian Bergamot, Vetiver, Sicilian Orange

Bergamotto Calabro by I Profumi di Firenze

It is said nobody does citrus scents better than the Italians, that high quality bergamot hails from Calabria. Having worn this sunny citrus recently, I realize the truth may not be far at all. Anyone looking for that elusive citrus holy grail should really give this wonderfully uplifting fragrance a sniff.