Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Time Uomo by Krizia

A 'white' , 'clean' fragrance but with a bitter floral-woody twist and somehow loud. Like with DSquared He Wood, the combination of woods and violet makes for me the overall impression of driftwood. Then there's something piney and herbal-fresh. This doesn't explain why the fragrance is 'white' but it is, and I wear it often in summer.

Encens & Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange

I think probably because of the highly influential directions of Comme Des Garcons for most of us frankincense in a fragrance should always be something glorious and a tad serious, enhanced with woods and some other complex stuff. Between niche fragrance lovers frankincense is often considered elitist: hence by all meas worth the mockery.

And here it is. Frankincense without woods. Bubblegum instead. A realistic blast of bubblegum before it settles into simple and beautiful incense supported only by light fruity-ambery base. It manages to be dry and juicy at the same time yet these two characteristics are somehow separated, simplicity being the key idea.

This is also one of the few ELdO fragrances that doesn't utilize their powdery kinda signature mix to fill the gaps. On the contrary, there is a lot of air left, making this fragrance a successful example of 'does what it says'. No need to be too weird or shocking: simply intentionally putting a cult niche note in a profane context does the job just fine. In fact, this is extremely wearable. I like it a lot.

Izzy's avatar

Adidas Deep Energy by Adidas

Clinique Happy for men but way cheaper in price! The scent lasts about 3-4 hours after that you won't get more out of this. This is a after shower scent!

Tashi666's avatar

Midnight Rain by La Prairie

Love this scent, was an airport grab, but am so pleased with it. I find it quite a unique scent, feminine but not cloying. Haven't seen this brand anywhere else though, would love to try the others.

Play by Comme des Garçons

An unexpected offering from CDG.
    Too mainstream to be considered niche; too off-center to truly be a mainstream scent.
    Very pleasant citrus that lasts from top notes, all the way to the dry base.
    Highly mesmerizing and addictive, as the saffron combines with citrus to create something highly unique.
    Projection and longevity are mediocre.

Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons

This is better than neutral; not because it is original for CDG (it is NOT),
    but because it is a bridge between the dusky/smoky incense series, and the gorgeous and freshly alien-vibe of CDG 3.
    Heavier and woodier than CDG 3; would actually make a decent substitute, since CDG 3 is quite difficult to come across these days.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

I don't know about the similarity to a catholic church, since I've never been in one.
    One of CDG's best in my opinion; high quality, realistic, and ultra-rich.
    Beautiful murkiness, and a great way to set a mood.
    I am amazed at just how wearable this is (gothic garb is not requisite).

andy13186's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This is my 1st review, but ive tested atleast 30+ different fragrance samples within the last few months.

Im smelling it right now

Its very subtle, actually its the most subtle of any fragrance ive ever smelled. When you take a big whiff after applying and letting it soak for a min or so, it smells very faint like mabe soapy wood.. with a bit of gin and vodka in there. But like I said, its extremely subtle, almost undetectible after a while. Would not bother wearing and wouldnt expect anyone to be able to smell this on me after like 5 minutes. Only not a negative because it doesnt smell bad, just wayy too subtle and seriously undetectible. I only give negatives to fragrances that actually are annoying or smell bad. I would not buy this fragrance.

andy13186's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

This is my favorite or 2nd favorite fragrance out of every fragrance ive tried. I also tried bvlgari aqua, but i found it to be a bit too musky and didnt last nearly as long or smell nearly as good after time as bvlgari aqua marine.

This is an excellent cologne.

I just put some on right now and i will try to describe it.

Its kind of hard to describe, very aquatic, maybe slight lemony seaweed very 'cool oceanic breeze' smelling. slightly floral. very pleasant. Ive found this to be by far the longest lasting cologne for me, after 8 hours it still smells amazing, on skin or clothes both. After you get a bit hot /sweat slightly , even after 8 hours it smells great and powerfully fresh. VERY GOOD.. probably my all time favorite so far.

Wolfgang Joop! by Joop!

I am impressed and surprised; this one is very overlooked and underrated.
    Far more mature than anything else Joop has released to date.
    In my opinion the BEST Joop!
    It starts out with a big blast of what I think is strawberry; this lasts for maybe 30 minutes strong, followed by a gradual tapering off into the heart and base notes, which are linear and indistiguishable from one another (assuming a "heart note" actually exists).
    From here, it is warm, rounded wood and spices.
    Lush and masculine.
    It reminds me of Mont Blanc Presence, except better, insomuch as it is richly rounded, as opposed to the jarring and chaotic clashing of Presence.
    Definitely recommended.

Joop! Splash by Joop!

This is not unpleasant, per se.
    Also- it's a welcome and long overdue departure from the expected sweet/woody/resinous formula that Joop has been known for all these decades.
    On the other hand, it is no less sweet and candy-like than all the other Joop offerings we have become familiar with.
    This time, the ultra-cloying sweetness is centered around melon and saltwater.
    Bottom line: Sure this offering IS different than all of its older siblings.............Just not different ENOUGH to make it necessary to own in 2011.

Butterfly Flower by Bath and Body Works

I have the Fragrant Water splash, the bath bubbles, and the lotion, not the edt, but together they manage to convey the tropical floral lushness of this scent, which has a very detectable banana note, in addition to the mimosa, syringa, and orchid. For BBW this seems pretty good to me. It has a big fat billowy floral quality which would appeal to those who like FIDJI or FRACAS. Not that it matters, since it has already been discontinued. Too bad, but I understand, since something this declarative would probably not appeal to the BBW crowd, most of whom are probably looking for inoffensive fruity frags. Further evidence would be the discontinuation of both VELVET TUBEROSE and ENCHANTED ORCHID--also rather big floral frags, and really nice in the body cream.

Anyway, I'll enjoy my BUTTERFLY FLOWER (and VELVET TUBEROSE and ENCHANTED ORCHID...) bath and body products--while they last!

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Compared to genuine monoi, CSP ALOHA TIARE seems pretty tame. To my nose, it lacks the intoxicating quality of many tropical compositions with a monoi bent. At the same time, I find ALOHA TIARE to have very big sillage, which makes me somewhat self-conscious about wearing it anywhere but on vacation.

All in all, this CSP creation (like many others from this house...) is a bit underwhelming to me. I feel that the notes are not really niche quality, so I'd much rather wear a really well-made, voluptuous floral fragrance such as FIDJI. ALOHA TIARE is okay, but not great. Definitely wearable, but not a tiare that I'd recommend before others... I have the original formula, but would be interested to try the new one. Perhaps the lime adds new zing.

Artisan by John Varvatos

Orange, floral, fresh, synthetic. Scent is weak and you have to get really close to smell it. Guess it's ok for the summer.

Vintage by John Varvatos

very spicy, reminds me of some spice used in some Chinese dishes. Also the smell of tobacco is very noticeable. Not a very special scent.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

VERY feminine scent. smells like a girl's makeup bag.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Green, floral. Upon application I got a blast of marijuana smell. Then it dies down to a slightly sweet, green and floral scent. Not offensive at all. Perfect for daily wear as long as you apply at home.

ELIshock's avatar

Azerbaijan Azerbaijan

Visit by Azzaro

I will categorize this scent into 2 parts as Highs and Lows (from my own scent preferences)
    Highes:
    It lasts quite long. I was wearing it from early morning and even in late night I could feel its odor. For a short period of use I kind a liked it. Odor is strong and extremely masculine.
    Lows:
    After some period odor made me annoyed. I just got used to it too fast. But the worst part is from all notes you can mainly feel pink pepper and cedar. Both of them are so heavy that you may think that you've taken pink pepper & cedar shower.
    So my overall review for this perfume is neutral. It cannot get more than 6 out of 10. Basically its strong, masculine average perfume which wont cost you too much in order to just give a try.

unklemoses's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

well.. when I smell it, it seems like I smell a cup of lemon tea. and it could have been ok - coz it's fresh and will probably never make you headache - despite the figure of almost 100 on the prix.. why on earth?

jpo's avatar

Sables by Annick Goutal

On my skin, Sables starts with the top notes of salty, sun drenched sand, and a little sweet syrup. Upon the top notes dissipating, and dry down setting in, it becomes completely dominated by maple syrup, creme brulee and caramel.

There is some depth of wood and salty air underneath, which I really like and would like to have more of. But, overall on my skin the gourmand dominates with maple syrup and caramel. Although I find it very pure and elegant and well executed, it is just not my style. Perhaps I could see having this for an occasional bit of fun, I don't see myself wearing this regularly.

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

You never have to smell this with your nose close to your wrist and then judge by this. Give it some space, some distance to pass by. It's the artsy cousin of Heritage and Zino and the wise uncle of Obsession. It's the grandfather of Tar and Garage with a spicy romantic heart. You can find him in his basement at night painting still pictures of flowers, using motor oil and burnt rubber for his art. He smells of darkness and cinnamon and he's aware of his weirdness. His nature is not actually of an animal: more like your surreal image of a dream fantastic creature. 20 years later, still not the coolest guy. Yet unlike Zino and Heritage, this one still deserves a talk now and then.

sarıpatates's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Another 80's masculine with lots of ingredients. This is probably as dense as you can make a fragrance with "fresh" in mind, and I bet that was the case here. The opening makes your nose sizzle after it hits your face smack in the middle with a bar of aromatic and aldehydic soap.

It becomes considerably lighter and refined afterwards, with smoky, piney, herbal and floral notes hovering over the base which is somehow able to show its face beneath all the layers. It feels somewhat chilled as well.

I find the drydown dark and comfy, and not that high in volume.

All in all, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, is complex and pleasing in all stages and environments (maybe except in cold weather) to my nose. Great fragrance.

Aqua Allegoria Tiaré-Mimosa by Guerlain

I feel a bit like the madman in the marketplace with his lantern, but it seems time that someone said it:

Guerlain is not Guerlain anymore.

Sound like a contradiction? I'm afraid it is not, and naysayers need only sniff some of these recent Aqua Allegorica launches to be persuaded of the lamentable truth, Tiare-Mimosa being a not-so-inviting case in point. Once upon a time, the Aqua Allegoria line featured simple yet compelling niche-quality compositions focusing upon one or two beautiful central notes. All of the AAs which I acquired around Y2K fit this description, and even a few released in the early twenty-first century. What has happened since then is that all sight has been lost of what this line was supposed to be. Aqua Allegoria fragrances are now inexpensive and smell frankly cheap. They are light and blurry, inoffensive, if you will, but they are not, to my nose, bona fide Guerlain.

Tiare-Mimosa is certainly wearable enough, but there is hardly anything tiare about it, and the mimosa seems like some sort of synthetic abstract floral rendition--one which I recently detected also in Benetton GIALLO. I rest my case. QED.

For those looking for good mimosa perfumes, they do exist. Try Demeter Vintage naturals Mimosa or Bond no 9 Fashion Avenue, for starters.

Mariano's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Envy for Men by Gucci

I was very curious about this fragrance because of the reviews of especialist sites and decided to get some samples before it vanishs from the sale's websites since it was discontinued. On my skin opens very spicy that reminds me the smell of shaving cream (like Prada Amber) and then increasingly appears the incense without losing the opening chord, the scent is very rich in notes, however, is very linear in me. The projection, longetivity and sillage are excellent, i guess by far surpasses his brother Gucci pour homme, a masterpiece that didn't conquered me because it gave me a "retro" feeling. Now I won't understand why the producer ceases to produce such a nice fragrance like Gucci Envy and produces so dull ones like Gucci by Gucci, Gucci by Gucci Sport and Gucci Guilty.

Izzy's avatar

Bellagio for Men by Fragluxe

Awesome scent! & for the price even better! 8-10 hours superb because you can easily get the fragrance for about $20 or less!

Mr-J's avatar

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

Just got around to trying this sample today. I do like it, and the ladies at the office said they liked it.

My impression - smells quite similar to Calvin Klein Escape for Women.

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

My story began well 3 years ago in 2008 when it first came out i was 16 years old. Every now again through the mists and sprays in a department store you find a mainstream fragrance that hits the spot and you have to buy at the soonest opportunity. This has happened twice to me, the first was Hugo boss bottled and the 2nd was 1 million !.

3 years on everyone wears this and its the most popular fragrance in the uk, but before the fragrance snobs turned there nose up at this due to the fact the masses or peasants as they view them began wearing this. I wore it during the first few months it was out and everywhere i went i was getting complements. I remember during the a bonfire night a girl went " someone smells amazing !!!!" I began to blush while girls came closer to smells, so yeh 1 million is a girl magnet one of the best i've wore.

But as months passed i discovered that a few of my mates had bought this fragrance and they were wearing this, even their dads were using it went i bumped into them at the pub and during shooting. My brother has also wanted this for his b-day in 2011, so its seems the populance of 1 million will not fade at any time soon.

Very few fragrances when applied can be called like dropping a nuke but 1 million is one of them it might not be on the same level as Joop! Homme but its not far behind. Overall i get 8-10 hours with 1 million so it is extremely strong.

The smells its self when first applied you get the grapefruit and orange note when some hate but i quite like, when it drys down i can smell the rose and the fragrance gets more spicy

But not to sound blunt the reason its so popular is because its so good but that has also been a double-edged sword every ned and man clubbing is wearing it, so u will not feel unique wearing this but you will smell good and thats is half the battle.

21st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2011)

Aqua Allegoria Cherry Blossom by Guerlain

Think you're getting a bargain when you find a so-called Guerlain perfume for $30? Think again. Aqua Allegoria CHERRY BLOSSOM is nothing if not a cruel joke on the sorts of people who congregate about the Emperor in his new clothes. I recognize that the revelation of this cruelty may itself sound cruel, but sometimes the truth hurts: those single-digit dollar bottles of radically reformulated SHALIMAR that began flooding low-brow drugstores some time ago were a sign of impending doom. I wondered, with the launch of CHAMPS ELYSEES, what was happening chez Guerlain, but I still managed to keep the faith, for some time. Yes, I continued to acquire bottles scent unsniffed on the strength of the illustrious Guerlain family name alone. Sadly, the Guerlains all seem to have passed away. My beloved MITSOUKO appears nowhere to be found (I've tried now two replacements, the reformulated edt and edp, both of which are pale shadows of their namesake.) If you are looking for Guerlain-quality perfumes, as used to be available back in the twentieth century, I encourage you to explore the house of Parfums Nicolai.

As for Aqua Allegoria CHERRY BLOSSOM, this synthetic, weak, yucky pseudo-perfume is unbefitting even of a mass-market house, and that, it appears, is what Guerlain has become. I realize that in these trying economic times they're trying to straddle all market niches simultaneously--not unlike the fashion designers who have both haute couture and Target or H&M or JC Penney lines--but I'm afraid that the result in this case has been muddled, even disastrous. How, in particular, I ask sincerely, could any self-respecting perfumer have launched such a scent as Aqua Allegoria CHERRY BLOSSOM?

Is there an allegory here? I'd call it "The Fall".

21st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2011)

informer_at's avatar

Austria Austria

7 de Loewe by Loewe

The negative reviews are like "first shoot, then ask". After drydown phase, 7 separates you from the pale-grey crowd. Says "I´m here" in an unusual, misterious, masculine and sexy way. Very long lasting too.

21st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

digger51's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

With all of the praise this scent gets around here I had to see what up. I got a sample and as always put a spray on my forearm the minute I got it. A few minutes later it was on my neck and chest. I am not big on citrus scents, but this one is very nice.

It starts off with a "bright" lemon that lasts a few minutes and then it starts to mellow down. I do not have a good enough nose to tell you what the middle is , but it is nice. The real payoff with "New York" is the base. It retains the lemon, but it is a mellow lemon that mixes very nicely to create a creamy lemon, wood, musk base that is very much worth the price of this juice.

You need to sample this one even if you ultimately do not get it just so you can experience it once or twice.

22 July, 2011