Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Lovescully's avatar

Kouros Tattoo Edition by Yves Saint Laurent

Following on from the original Kouros & Kouros Cologne Sport, this is now the 3rd variation I have tried.

It starts out sweeter and more floral than the original, but like the Cologne Sport variation, it doesn't stray too far from the original's composition in drydown.

Although there is no civet listed in the notes above, I swear that I can detect the original civet note in the drydown of this Tattoo version. Maybe just a slight hint of incense is there to distinguish this one from the rest.

Like Cologne Sport, Tattoo is nowhere near as powerful as the original, so it should be easier to wear out in public. This will definitely please fans of the original.

Fleurine's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I smelled Bandit. At Bergdorf's of all places. Can ANYONE pull this one off? Even I couldn't wear this (and I can put on two sprays of Angel and five minutes later get into a crowded elevator). To me, Bandit smells like an old dirty leather rag, that someone sprayed a flower scented oven cleaner on, and then used to clean an old barbecue. It is truly rank. I was trying to hide the smell on my hand from other people on the subway. This fragrance is so out there, I'm giving it a thumbs up, although I couldn't ever bring myself to wear it again.

almasinti's avatar

Shanaan by Martine Micallef

Amazingly smoky and authentic incense smell. The opening is bright and crisp with cedar and citrus, but almost immediately settles into a long lasting, awesome frankincense. Maybe there is a touch of vanilla/labdanum rounding things out...incense just so dominant. Top notch ingredients. Do I want to go around smelling like this? Not so sure. I like it nonetheless.

Canali Men by Canali

Yet another fruity amber pointed directly towards men. Rises above the dreck by focusing on pineapple instead of sour apple and guaiac wood instead of cedar. Has sort of a new clothes smell that you encounter at the entrance of Bachrach. Good but...like being the best player on a bad team.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Unlike anything that came before or after. A unicorn of a fragrance. Cavellier tried to capture the classic tea with lemon aroma and he succeeded with great success. Throws in white pepper and light musk to tie the whole thing together and the sum is greater than its parts. Despite the Pour Homme name, ladies can wear this too! Also, laid the foundation for Bulgari Black. Classic and timeless. Embodies everything good about Bulgari. Wears extremely light so go heavy on the trigger.

Visit by Azzaro

Well constructed but the materials are cheap. Pink peppercorn followed by nutmeg then incense & cedar. There's also a touch of sweetness here that adds to the complexity. Coming from Azzaro, it puts Chrome to shame, but that's not really saying much. Still, Visit is nice thrill for low dollars so it's recommended. Holding the bottle horizontally will yield a Star Trek sign. Did Trekkies ever wear this? Shatner may approve!

Bright Visit by Azzaro

Here's an equation for ya: Chrome + Visit = Bright Visit. That said, this leans more towards Chrome and that's a sad/bad thing. Unnecessary and unappealing. Buy if only to cover up extreme body odour.

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

This review is for the older, vintage version. Like a 1000 sledgehammers pounding on your nostrils. This one is Intense with a capital I. Thick as thieves and not much clarity in sight. Heavy on davana and labdanum and not much else. Had high hopes for this one but in the end, it overtook me and I struggled to find my way back to civilization. Buy only if you like extremely heavy scents that offer no quarter.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

Can we talk about fig? Yes, that sweet fruit that nobody really eats. With Dune PH, the perfumer surrounded a subtle fig with violet leaves and greenness. It's an EdC alright, but the bottle says EdT. Still, it smells great in the summer and is head-and-shoulders above all fig-dominant scents. Hard to find but worth it in the end. Uncharacteristically Dior but what can you do?

hollyc's avatar

K de Krizia by Krizia

Ahhh, 1981 must have been a fabulous year for fragrance! I remember walking through the The Bay on my lunch hour, newly arrived in Calgary with student loans, a car loan, a moving loan and completely unable to buy my beloved K de Krizia or my absolute favorite Must de Cartier, so broke and so in love with these beauties that I had to settle for spraying them on as I passed wistfully by the fragrance counter. Both had lovely, rich, mellow animalic drydowns (in my memory). Now that I can afford them, I can't find K de Krizia and apparently Must has been butchered, but I may still spring for the pure parfum as I've read it's still most representative of the original. If you can find K de Krizia and you love a lovely chypre with a hint of the animal, do try it.

Scentologist's avatar

Thallium by Jacques Evard

Its a light, pleasant, airy smell will surprising sillage as I can smell it within 30 ft of the mall kiosk. I love the bottle, color of the juice, and spray mechanism. It's scent reflects the juice in that it has a light, fresh smell with vanillic overtones and a fruity underscore thats just everso present. I wanted to get this just to have for novelty sake but would I actually wear it? Possibly but not often enough. It smells very "European" as it were.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Eternity by Calvin Klein

There see to be many negative reviews of this perfume - for me, this fragrance suits my body chemistry beautifully and smells light and spicy on me. I wouldn't use more than 2 sprays, however or it could be too much. Not my favourite or signature but definitely would have a welcome place in my wardrobe anytime!

Nostalgie's avatar

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

A green, long-lasting, seductive, original, complex. harmonious scent. I prefer Scherrer to better known chypre classics. I discovered it in the mid-80's because a very fashionable student from Romania wore it every day. It was a gift from her boyfriend in Paris. At that time you couldn't find it anywhere in the States, so I had to wait months until I was in France to buy it. It may have been more popular in Europe, but in the States it was--and still is--a unique scent. Gorgeous. Green. Glamorous. Bold. And it goes on and on. I apply it lightly, wear it with caution, and generally turn to it only in moments of olfactory nostalgia.

Renato's avatar

Cumbia Colors Men by Benetton

As a fan of licorice/ aniseed scents, I found the strength of the aniseed notes a bit weaker than i would have liked. I had to spray twice as much Cumbia on than I normally would with other scents. But with this double dose, I thought it smelled quite good.
    Renato

photographerdan's avatar

Voyage by Nautica

Great fragerance!

This is like laying down on some freshly washed linen with your window open while waves are crashing nearby, it's FANTASTIC! It somehow exudes an early morning sea mist but it's pure and refreshing.

I'm not sure how diverse this fragrance could be though, daytime warm weather and that's about it? Maybe at night if you're staying outdoors or you're at the beach? This is how most summer fragrances are though unless you pick something woodsy like a sandalwood based fragrance which could probably be worn on sunny days during winter even.

I've never been a huge fan of blue scents but this is great, probably because it may not even be a "blue" scent. I can see this being highly dependent on the chemistry of your own scent, it's definately something that just won't work with some people. Works really well for me. Get a sample and go do some cardio and then see how it smells on you.

Unfortunately longevity just isn't great, i'd say it's about average and nowhere near that of the classier polo scents which will keep on working even after your clothes come off. Lasts about 4-5hrs?

02 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 July, 2011)

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Banana Republic CLASSIC is indeed a classic, rather masculine-smelling cologne. The composition reminds me quite a bit of the Calvin Klein omnisex jug perfumes: somewhat aquatic, somewhat citrusy, vague and indistinct as far as specific notes are concerned. Among the synthetic floral renditions, this one may contain water lily or lotus or something else light and inobtrusive, compatible with these sorts of modern scents, which also sometimes contain tea notes—and this one may as well. CLASSIC is really quite evasive, when all is said and sniffed, a sort of “one-size-fits-all” fragrance. As this fragrance dries down, a vetiver-like note becomes more and more evident, making this seem, again, a classic made-for-men perfume. Overall this sort of modern (largely synthetic) perfume, comprising primarily “abstract” notes, does not appeal to me very much, but for those looking for this sort of thing, I'm sure that CLASSIC would do quite well. Nothing to get excited about, but also nothing to offend.

W by Banana Republic

It's a good thing that an upside-down W is an M, because Banana Republic W is a fullfledged unisex scent. This is a refreshing floral citrus with a demeanor somewhere between Bond no 9 EAU DE NEW YORK and NEW YORK FLING. It's quite nice, I must say, although W is on the light side. I'm actually a bit baffled as to why this perfume is being marketed to women, as it is every bit as appropriate for men. In fact, it lies exactly at the midpoint between feminine and masculine fragrances, with a complete ambiguity that makes it perfect for both. Not too flowery, and not too cologne-y, W offers a perfect balance that wears very well in hot weather.

Shaal Nur by Etro

Etro SHAAL NUR opens with citrus but soon becomes a strong and dark incense perfume with big sillage and excellent longevity. This thick and warm oriental composition is best suited for cold weather, worn under sweaters, and could be worn by both women and men, although I find it more masculine than feminine and would be surprised if it were not being consumed primarily by men.

I do not find SHAAL NUR very subtle or complex and layered, but the strength of these sorts of perfumes lies in their sheer insistence, given the quality of the notes. This woody oriental reminds me somehow of a log cabin in a dense forest of evergreen trees high up in the Rocky mountains.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons Incense Series 3 KYOTO is burnt wood incense perfume with a slightly less burnt drydown in which tea appears also to be present. The composition does not have an oily or resinous texture at all, unlike most of the oudh perfumes I've tried. KYOTO seems to me sometimes of incense ashes liquified but also, in turns, crushed sticks of unburned incense. That's about it for the development trajectory, though, as this is a fairly simple affair. I do not detect any floral notes at all, just incense in one form or another—there can be no denying that, as advertised, incense is the focus of this creation!

Despite the lack of a significant oily base, KYOTO has good staying power and fairly big sillage. I would not call this perfume either masculine or feminine but rather omnisex--or perhaps even asexual. Definitely a better choice for the fall and winter months. I'm not sure how this would work in the heat.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

Something about Comme des Garçons Incense Series 3 ZAGORSK does not sit well on my skin—or in my lungs. There can be no denying that this is an incense perfume, but it hits me quite a bit differently than KYOTO. ZAGORSK, too, is not very oily or resinous, but the wood of the incense seems more bitter than burnt and slightly rubbery as well. Like KYOTO, ZAGORSK is also devoid of detectable floral notes, but this composition seems quite a bit more masculine to me. The sillage is rather big for a masculine scent, but this will be perhaps welcome to those who like the peculiar quality of the composition, although I'm wondering how many people would really want to be around other people who smell like this. I do not mean to suggest that ZAGORSK is repellent, but on the other hand I myself do not find it very appealing at all, and my distinct impression is that, if over-applied, this fragrance might have a mildly suffocating effect—something like breathing at high altitude where oxygen is in short supply or inhabiting an old building with traces of asbestos in the attic. Désolée.

Lapis Lazuli by Galimard

Galimard LAPIS LAZULI is a fairly typical “old lady” floral aldehyde, with all that that implies. Basically, if you know that you cannot do aldehydes, you'll want to stay away. If you like aldehydes but only in a crystalline, pristine, limpid form, you'll also want to stay away. If you like your aldehydes slightly dusty and dirty—à la JOY or FIRST—then you might really take to LAPIS LAZULI, which also appears to contain a dash of civet or reasonable facsimile.

As a floral aldehyde lover, I'm inclined to like such a composition, but I don't think that LAPIS LAZULI can really compete with my favorites of this genre, CALECHE and WHITE LINEN extrait. I'm sure that many young perfumistas would find this composition far too old ladyish, but it definitely represents an important moment in the history of perfume, whether one happens to appreciate it or not, and it is entirely within the realm of possibility that the floral aldehyde moment will recycle after a time—perhaps after people have had enough of oudh and fig and office-ready fruity-floral frags and skin scents and personal hygiene aids masquerading as perfumes. On ne sait jamais...

The name of this perfume strikes me as a non sequitur...

Grasse à Toi by Galimard

Galimard GRASSE A TOI is a relatively rich fruity floral fragrance with a decidedly reddish bent. Not only is the liquid itself colored red—for ready identification?—the fruits featured also appear to be raspberry-like. Happily, there is no gooey bottom-of-the-jam-jar effect in this composition, although the fruit facet is definitely dominant. This creation smells quite a bit more natural than most of the mainstream red berry scents around, so I'd definitely recommend it to those who appreciate this genre. With neither plastic nor Nutrasweet notes, this perfume is also not marred by the highly synthetic BHT chemical soup smell so common in celebrity fruity floral-frags today.

Pleasantly sweet and simple, with just enough resinousness to give it a slightly perfumey feeling, GRASSE A TOI is a quality fruity-floral fragrance with a decided emphasis on the fruit. Left to my own devices, I'd be hard pressed, in fact, to identify the floral notes present here, but they do temper the sweetness so as to render the overall composition wearable even by me, someone who does not generally don fruity florals. This one is definitely better than some of the red jam offerings from the house of Givenchy.

1747 by Galimard

Named for the year in which this house was established, Galimard 1747 really does seem about as old as Creed, established in 1760. This composition smells like a classic men's cologne for men who wish to wear colognes that smell how they believe classic colognes are supposed to smell. Rather loud, this typical woody-citrus offering pretty much broadcasts that the wearer has applied cologne and so might be good for picking up chicks who are looking for guys rich enough to wear colognes that smell like the ones that they think guys with yachts are supposed to wear.

1747 is a fine example of why no matter how many unisex perfumes are launched, I'll continue to believe that some fragrances are really meant for women, and others—such as this one—for men. I would never wear this. Ever. Would I recoil in horror in the presence of a man who wore such a cologne? No, but I wouldn't necessarily run after him either. No matter how socially correct these sorts of scents may be, I just don't find them very appealing aesthetically. I really have no desire to smell anyone who smells this way. Maybe 1747 is simply too hackneyed for me to be able to appreciate, or maybe I just don't like the way that it smells.

Pour Toi by The Pink Room

The Pink Room POUR TOI is a low-key somewhat aromatic, slightly green but not terribly exciting composition. I'd have guessed that hyacinth and ginger—or reasonable facsimiles—were present, but there's not a huge amount of florality or spice or wood or resin or really much of anything else that commands attention. There is a touch of sweetness here, but it seems pretty nondescript: not at all fruity or sugary or honeyed or vanilla. Not really sure what it is, but I'm afraid that it reminds me a bit of an air freshener that I've smelled in public places. It also reminds me in tiny wafts now and then of one of the toothpastes at the dentist I used to go to when I was growing up.

Although POUR TOI probably sounds pretty boring from such a description, sometimes just what one is after is a less obtrusive presentation of light notes subtly blended. I cannot say that this particular blend will carve a permanent place in my olfactory memory bank, but if I had a bottle I'd wear it when I might have worn Ralph Lauren TURQUOISE, back before I used mine up. I liked TURQUOISE, and I'd consider buying it again, probably before POUR TOI since TURQUOISE does not contain the unidentifiable sweetness found in POUR TOI.

Brit by Burberry

Burberry BRIT is a pleasant if unexceptional linear floriental perfume which I'd rank as a distant cousin to Chanel ALLURE. The same sort of finely woven texture of notes appears here, although the precise notes themselves are not the same. This sort fragrance appeals to me—and Dior DUNE is another example—as a sort of comfort scent without the dessert aspect present in perfumes such as Chopard CASMIR.

Sandalwoodiness, vanilla, “abstract” florality and a sort of nondescript creaminess combine to create a soothing sort of scent in BRIT. I was honestly expecting sour sandalwood and synthetic aftertaste but have been pleasantly surprised. My previous experiences with Burberry have not been all that positive, although I do own a bottle of RED, which has this same linear tightly woven texture but, again, with different notes. I don't find BRIT or RED to be very subtle or complex, but they are nice enough to wear.

Si tu savais… by Galimard

From the name, I was expecting something a bit more hard-hitting, but Galimard SI TU SAVAIS is a gentle fruity-floral fragrance with a citrusy opening which quickly gives way to a rhubarb-like heart. Just a touch of greenness, slightly watery, and sweetly tart, I cannot think of any other note off-hand which could create such an effect, although from those listed apple and hyacinth appear to be implicated. In any case, since fruits are always constructed in perfumery (as far as I know) I think that my phenomenological perception of rhubarb is just as valid as the claim by the perfumer to have constructed an apple-hyacinth amalgam.

SI TU SAVAIS offers a fresh and only barely floral effect—I cannot make out actually which flowers, if any, are supposed to be represented here. In spirit, SI TU SAVAIS reminds me a bit of the creations of a certain Swiss house (Bergduft) which has launched a few all-natural light floral perfumes. SI TU SAVAIS is a tender and friendly fragrance evocative of the open air at the foot of the Alps. "The hills are alive with the sound of music," and that sort of thing...

Journal Intime by Galimard

Galimard JOURNAL INTIME is yet another office-ready inoffensive fruity-floral frag. There are so many of these around today that it seems time to acknowledge their well-defined kind by at last christening them with their well-deserved acronym: ORIFFF. This particular instantiation of the type is very light, vaguely floral and vaguely fruity. Very vague, all in all. Neither unpleasant, nor at all compelling. JOURNAL INTIME could be used to define the word 'meh' by ostension.

Canaïca by Galimard

Galimard CANAICA happily matches the perfume that I wore to bed last night: Bond no. 9 NUITS DE NOHO. Sweet floriental patchouli. Yum. Is CANAICA as good as NUITS? It's close. I'd have to wear it several times before I could decide. For now, on the basis of my 2ml sample spray vial, let's just say that I'm enjoying the experience. CANAICA is less potent than NUITS, which must be applied judiciously, as pure perfume, in order to be enjoyed, since it's very easy to over do. But the general feeling is the same. Luxury and and warmth. Patchouli and vanilla. Flowers swirling about in the midst of all of this orientalia. I like it!

Pêle-Mêle by Galimard

Galimard PELE-MELE falls into the subcategory of the class of ORIFFF (office-ready inoffensive fruity-floral frags) known as Generic "Peony" Frag (GPF). The floral construction here is supposed to be lily-of-the-valley, but I'd urge the perfumer to go take a deep whiff of DIORISSIMO. All quasi-peony frags smell more or less the same to me, the distinction between them being only whether or not they incorporate the rendition that makes me sick. In the worst cases, I find myself in a position not at all unlike Alex from "A Clockwork Orange" as he tries desperately to fling himself out the window upon being subjected to Beethoven's Ninth. Happily, PELE-MELE does not induce such a reaction in me, and so this composition is wearable, albeit deeply redundant.

Light, clean florality, with a touch of soapiness is the story here. Another ORIFFF with more florality than fruitiness, but still in the same group and perfect for people who just want to smell pleasant, no more and no less. As is often the case with these sorts of constructed-floral frags, this one expands as it develops to the point of having a relatively big sillage.

A Contre-Jour by Galimard

Galimard A CONTRE-JOUR is a classic (as odd as that may sound) shampoo-conditioner frag. Squeaky clean with a somewhat less clean, floral drydown, A CONTRE-JOUR numbers among the ranks of the zillion of other compositions in this class, the vast majority of which are used to scent hair products. With startling frequency, these creations are being poured into perfume bottles and sold at huge mark-ups by nearly every perfume house. It's rather amazing, actually, that people are willing to pay perfume prices—even niche prices!—to spray on their bodies scents that already waft off their hair whenever they emerge from the shower or bath.

That said, for some reason Galimard, a house which remarkably pre-dates the French revolution, does not charge niche prices for its wares, so this might be a good place to acquire your coveted shampoo-conditioner frags!