Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

odysseusm's avatar

The One Gentleman by Dolce & Gabbana

Don't get any lavender or fennel. This meteor hits the surface with a vanilla impact. So sweet it is candied. So simple it is boring. Sweetly spicy, gives me a headache. A very uninspired oriental.

lebeauche's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Okay. I had read a few times about the Kouros, here on Basenotes. The minutes spent two days in a perfume seller and sprayed my wrist. I confess that the first 15 minutes is almost unbearable, but after 30 minutes and the rest of your Dry is very nice. He reminds me of a night of love with a beautiful woman. This scent is really nice, six-star for him.

icanh's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I was massively shocked when I first smelled this. That menthol note was just so jarring. In less than an hour though, I was a convert. That creamy chocolate note was just so irresitible. The first day I wore this to work, this officemate of mine immediately came up to me and told me that I smelled just as good as her boyfriend.

This lasts for ages as well. Basically, an incredible fragrance.

opsy's avatar

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

I think this is good.its kinda uplifting. I wore this to work and went to tesco to shop. This lady was behind and said to me 'you smell nice' .. This is the first compliment I have had since i cant remember.Funy thing is its the least expensive in my collection which includes amouage reflection, tom fords, and three creeds.
    Longetivity is Ok prob 6hrs, good silage.

gillsgems's avatar

FM18 (Classic) by Federico Mahora

I adore FM18 by Federico Mahora. It has a Chypre overtone but a very feminine, citrus/floral composition. It reminds me a little of Coco Mademoiselle and lasts very well on my skin. I would say that I can still detect the top and heart notes after 6 hours of wear with no refreshing. It's a fabulous day to evening fragrance!

gillsgems's avatar

FM21 (Classic) by Federico Mahora

A completely feminine Rose floral. It has the mark of an 'Eternal favourite' fragrance - one that you will remember forever. I think instead of number 21 it should be No 5 !

Opium7's avatar

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Obsession is one of the sexiest perfumes ever. Warm, spicy, alluring, sensual, romantic and classic. This is beautiful vanilla scent for cold night. It really keeps you warm.
    Dark vanilla and musk... this gorgeous scent is for femme fatale.

The color of the bottle is gorgeous, also the bottle. Simple design, yet it contain true love potion and gives you boost of self confidence. No man can resist this masterpiece.

Very long lasting and strong, so you need to spray just one time on your skin and from about 30 cm distance ant than it shines in it's full beauty.

I love it!

uxf's avatar

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Nobody else said leather? This is one of the rare scents that actually smells like real leather to me.

flathorn's avatar

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

There's nothing I can add to the reviews of this fragrance. It's a powdered spring sweet violet and mixed floral. It keeps you and the mood at that level, and doesn't seem to go 'deep'. So it has it's place, and works as a loudly quiet innocent seeming floral, powdered and light. A nighttime or sultry fragrance it is not, and doesn't need to be. I don't hate or love it - I can see wearing it in mixed social situations, church, etc. That being said, as with all fragrances with sillage and powder, this is best worn very lightly, as it will easily cross that line of intruding on another's space. It is also slightly sneezy, and that must be kept in mind when using it around crowds. If used with restraint, this exhibits the sweet innocent powderedness of a lingerie drawer. If not used with restraint, the insincere sweetness of an ambitious southern belle running for beauty queen.

Chicagoista's avatar

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

This absolutely marvelous perfume opens with a warm burst of bergamot and orange blossom and instantly evokes images of sun and sea, a truly pictorial frag. As Un Jardin begins developing, the tantalizing green note of fig leaves takes hold and continues throughout development into the drydown. Happily, the frag’s subtle sweetness never dominates, but holds a nice line. The scent continues with a lively quality that is zingy without sharpness, and the white oleander emerges with a winelike, lightly spicy presence. The scent is wonderously layered and cohesive. Eventually the frag becomes more soft and round with a slightly sleepy sensuality, with the fig wood and cedar somewhat more pronounced, but not intense. The sillage is moderate, moving through the air lightly but with a nice strength. Some say the sillage is not very good, but I disagree. I found the scent to have excellent longevity, but as others have mentioned, after several hours it moves much closer to the skin. Hours later, a final surprise: a very soft white musk presence reveals itself. For me, this is a very happy scent, and it was love at first wear. Without a doubt it is a truly great three-season frag, hopefully a year-rounder. I’m interested in seeing how it behaves during Chicago winters. For me, one who is usually drawn to dramatic scents, this is a welcome alternative in my wardrobe. I think it would be quite interesting on a man.

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Cherry Blossom Glittering by Guerlain

I was delighted to buy this cheaply and although the glittering gold flakes and delicate bottle markings and design are truly enchanting, the fragrance itself is...where? Watery, thin wearing and unmemorable.

I won't attempt to fully describe what I can smell as I am not great in the art of differentiating blooms but I cannot for the life of me smell cherry blossom or anything else of note, even with my savage nose. Watery with a slightly sour (?peppery) drydown that doesn't sit well on me - despite the beauty of the bottle, I'll be selling this on. Not for me, unfortunately.

Ralph's avatar

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

It's a bit daft saying of a fragrance 'Well, it'd be good if the top notes carried on for longer,' because by definition, they're fleeting. With Fat Electrician though I really do want to say this because the top notes - a dazzlingly bright, sharp, vetiver blast - are glorious. But then they disappear and there's not really a whole lot left after they've gone - well, besides a gentle vanilla and a shadow of the opening vetiver hovering pale in the background. Shame.

Lovescully's avatar

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Escape, Obsession Night, Eternity & Contradiction are the only CK fragrances that I can wear. Of these, this is probably my second favourite after Obsession Night.

Wearing this is like drinking a tropical fruit cocktail mixed with soda water, while sitting at the edge of a rainforest, overlooking the ocean! It really does capture all the elements of a tropical escape. It reminds me of being on holiday in Cairns, in the tropical far North of Queensland, Australia.

What makes this a stand out fragrance for me is that the fresh & fruity top notes hang around pretty much for the whole life of the scent; except right at the end. It stays incredibly fresh for such a long time, which makes it perfect for outdoor summer weather.

Sillage: 4 out of 5
    Longevity: 4 out of 5
    Value for $: 4 out of 5
    Overall: 4 out of 5

Although I find Escape to be a very easy to wear fragrance, you need to be careful not to over-apply as the grapefruit, mango & melon combination is quite strong & can be a little over the top. If you don’t like the smell of fresh tropical fruit, then I’d give this one a wide berth. Otherwise, go ahead and indulge yourself!

MinorThreat's avatar

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

A blind buy as is most of my purchases and I have to say it smells almost identical to USHER VIP with VIP being a bit more metallic initially. And it is no wonder since the Harry Fremont is the perfumer behind both scents. Go figure! Nothing special and actually disappointed as it does smell identical to VIP, at least to my nose.

22 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

He Wood by Dsquared2

He Wood shares quite a few similarities with both Fahrenheit (current formulation) and Cuir Pleine Fleur. Basically the violet leaf note that's pretty similar to the one in the above mentioned fragrances, but while Fahrenheit pushes on the accellerator with its characteristic uniqueness and Cuir Pleine Fleur introduces floral patterns and a bitter leather note achievning an extreme elegance and depth, He Wood turns into a vetiver and synthetic woods middle phase/drydown that's pretty pleasant yet not particularly interesting.

Overall the scent smells good and it's well executed but there are better options out there. Not bad.

Rating: 6.5/10

22 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Calypso by Robert Piguet

Calypso (2010 formulation)

Calypso fulfil the basic principle of perfumery for which a fragrance should, first of all, smell good. While this statement may sound obvious, we witnessed too many examples of perfumes smellng like crap (really too many to mention).

A strong bitter geranium and unripe mandarin opening turning into a middle phase where rose makes its appearance with a remarkable presence together with iris. The general lush vibe is enriched by musc and hints of suede that perfectly blend together all the previous elements into a classic floral chypre. Elegant, rich and formal. Maybe not so distinctive and unique and surely not the most successful among the Piguet offering but it still smells damn good.

22 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

Slayerized's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Relax by Davidoff

No shop here in The Netherlands sells this amazing fragrance anymore now. As a lover of 70's and 80's (powerhouse) fragrances I bought one 75 ml bottle blind after reading all reviews I could find about it.
    My research was not in vain cause, as expected, I really love this discontinued fragrance. I do not know how old the bottle is but the scent is still amazing with huge sillage and longevity. Compared to its lovely brother Zino, I get at least 4 hours more longevity!
    As it's only available in one (online)store here and for the rest only to be bought in Germany (Douglas), as far as I could see on the net, I bought myself one back-up bottle. The back-up bottle smells exactly the same as the other so, if stored properly it lasts for years imo.
    What to say and to add about the scent and smell of relax?
    First of all I do not see any similarities with Zino at all. Zino is more macho, darker, has that animalic vibe because of rose mixed with patchouli, has way less sillage and longevity compared to Relax, after the first hour, and has a vanilla dry down as well but different; more vanilla-sugary. Both are to me sexy smells and, imo, Relax is also to be worn at the office (light application) while Zino is more an evening scent.
    To explain the smell of Relax: Imagine a more creamy-smooth Brut Faberge because of the anise and benzoin but with also a real masculine vibe because of the leather, with Relax even being stronger than Brut despite the smoothness. Relax is a smooth powerhouse imo.
    The mix of notes in Relax are really magnificantlly done! For me the perfect original!, strong, though not overpowering nor offensive scent that can be worn almost anytime!
    I agree on the remark that if Davidoff would've spent some really serious advertising work on this one, instead of all attention on mainly "Cool Water" they would have had a bestseller, imo. Maybe I am glad they didn't as I know almost noone here has this scent! A missed opportunity for Davidoff though! Longevity is 10+ hrs and sillage above average.
    5 Thumbs up! Rated: 10/10

Edit: Got a third (vintage) 75ml bottle of Relax with script font instead of block and different bottle shape which smells about exactly the same (which is NOT the case with the Zino or Cool Water bottles) as the two other more modern bottles of Relax I own with Davidoff written in block font on bottle and package. All three are 75 ml's and the fragrance is still not to get anymore here online. I think I bought the last two genuine bottles 2 years ago! It has become my signature fragrance an I still have to smell a fragrance that is just a little close to this highly original gem. Still one of a kind! Rated: still 10/10

22 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2012)

flathorn's avatar

Vanilla Coconut by Susanne Lang

Surprise! Like the previous reviewers said, neither vanilla nor coconut. I would never have tried this one, as the name promised an experience I wasn't willing to endure. But it came as a sample, and it turns out to work very well. It's not a thin cheap vanilla or coconut beach fragrance, but a rich cocktail of sensual tropicalness. I've been looking for a coconutty fragrance for an Hawaiian vacation. This one qualifies for that position but it's much more! It's beyond vacation/beach/tropical - it's a sensual stand-alone frag in its own right. Delectable.

22 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2013)

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I definitely need to try this one on again as so far my experience of this is more akin to Angel of Death than something heavenly. I remember sniffing it in Liberty's in London one winter in the 90s - and absolutely loving it. Then everyone started wearing it. In high quantities, in crowded tubes in summer and smoke filled clubs with poor ventilation at nightime and I hated it.

A friend wears this as her signature scent so it is tolerable (prob cos she's an angel herself) but I still can't help but feel choked whenever I try it on again in a shop and try to recapture that first sniff.

Smells like death by candy floss in an overheated elevator to me and I would never inflict this on other people in the dog days of summer - unless I didn't like them. Chokingly sweet, overbearing, totally unsexy and impossible to wear lightly IMO. Yuck!

22 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 March, 2013)

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Folavril by Annick Goutal

Folavril - the tart yet plush green of tomato leaf , the hint of lush mango and an ethereal jasmine note . Soft, sweet ( like Eau de Charlotte but not so jammy ,dense and sticky ) Citrus comes out later . It is a melody . So , I found the Goutal I can wear every day . Passion has changed and it is very heavy . Eau de Charlotte is gorgeous but my first pick is this.
    It IS a beauty . Yes there is soapiness and I love my soap . Quite tenacious for an eau de toilette and for a Goutal.

drseid's avatar

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

One of the worst scents I have had the "pleasure" to own. I was given this as a gift from a vendor. Bottom line is I wish they would not have bothered. WAY too much powder and cheap smelling lavender. I still have the bottle, but will never wear the stuff. Yuck!

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Masterpiece. Pleasure.
    Nothing like the quality of Chanel.
    Allure Edition Blanche and Allure Sport are the best of Allure line.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Wonderful fragrance . Simplicity. Clean sensation. Satisfaction. Pleasure. Masculinity. The best Lacoste.

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

Interesting fragrance. Wait a few seconds to notice the nice aromatic changes during the drydown. The heart like is like Ted by Teb Lapidus. Where's the original Calvin by Calvin Klein?

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

One of the best in the aquatic category. Very citric and with great longevity like the Azzaro Chrome Sport.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Superb. One of the most elegant fragrance.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

High Quality. Very Elegante, like his brother Pour Monsieur.

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very good fragrance, but Chanel Pour Monsieur and Armani Pour Homme are better.

photographerdan's avatar

Realities for Men by Realities Cosmetics

I'm amazed at how people mention how this smells similar to d&g and how much they love that fragrance yet they give realities a mediocre review! If that isn't a textbook defintion brand of bias then I don't know what is!

This is a GREAT scent, similar to D&G but i'd say it's a "lite" version - it's cheaper, it's more versatile, it's very agreeable to most people that smell it around you. It's a great overall scent and the fact that it comes close to being one of your favorite scents is an excellent thing!

Very decent price. This is another one of those areas where if you see it at tjmaxx,ross,marshalls etc. . . then it's a no brainer to just buy it. You won't be dissapointed.

photographerdan's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Great scent!

Ideal for fall or winter but to be honest this fragrance may actually smell good on certain people no matter what the climate! My professor was wearing this in 90deg heat and it somehow worked!

Definately in my top 3 of scents. Perfect for cooler weather. Highly recommended if you're tired of the typical leather scents or gourmands that tend to dominate the senses once the cold weather hits.