Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

B.I.G.'s avatar

Moldova Moldova

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

It took a while for me to get used to and appreciate Habit rouge. The EDT is starts off with a dose of lemon dust (not powder). Then the sweet spices emerge, notably cinnamon and vanilla and something else warm (amber, maybe ?). The scent, as far as i can tell doesn't smell old-lady or old-fashioned to me; i like wearing it during cold months when i get tired of the gourmands and woody spicy fragrances; it's almost like a getaway/refuge from the heavy strong silage monsters. can't wait to test it in the spring/summer

B.I.G.'s avatar

Moldova Moldova

Pour Un Homme by Caron

i got a 4.5 ml bottle from the 80s and i was anxious to smell this much-praises fragrance. Upon application, i immediately smelt lavender, much to my expectations and the first thing that came to my mind was Jicky. I waited several more minutes for the drydown to come out and it paid off. I smell gentle and suave vanilla notes rising up and suddenly toned down by lavender. Imho, it's an evening scent, best worn during spring time. It awakes your senses and informs people of the arrival of a heart-breaker.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews, as I find this scent so easy to approach and enjoy (as do others around me). I will say this - I did pick up on the muddled blending of the notes the first few times I wore the fragrance. However, the effect is not nearly as bad as some of the reviewers would suggest.

I think this fragrance begins with a juicy, green/citrus fruit mixed with florals (loving the yuzu note). The transition falls apart a little when the top notes transition to incense, violets, and patchouli in the middle almost abruptly. Luckily, the scent redeems itself when the base begins to project the beautiful iris and tonka bean combo which merges effortlessly with the spice of incense and patchouli. This is so nice and masculine, and it is probably the most masculine floral-heavy fragrance I've ever worn (when compared to Midnight in Paris, Dior Homme, Kenzo Power, etc). If it wasn't so hot, I'd be happy to wear this everyday as my signature. Plus, the longevity and sillage are just perfect. Love it!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Not for me! Your mileage may vary, but I just can't wear this. Unfortunately, bought it blind. Worst frag purchase ever.

On me, this smells like I'm wearing large amounts of Vaseline and NIVEA Creme. A feeling of Talcum or baby powder also seems to be present.

My signature fragrance is Essencia Loewe. Lots of sillage and longevity. Kouros also has plenty of sillage and lasts all day, but is a totally different fragrance and not in a good way.

electric33's avatar

Santa Barbara by Lesley Blodgett Perfume Diaries

Light, nice & reminds me of how fresh orange blossom petals smell when they have just fallen off the branch and a breeze picks up the fragrance.

thatmakesscents's avatar

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

I just received a sample of this yesterday. I've been trying to find a replacement for gucci nobile and saw this mentioned on that thread.

My thoughts are :

Initial blast reminds me of a medicinal blast of eau savage. I thought wow a really potent citrus scent that won't dissipate. After a few minutes I noticed a spicy/citrus scent almost reminiscent of the kumquat smell in moschino homme. That lasted for awhile until it gradually settles into a sweet "common" musky/sweet type odor that is barely noticable..at least on me.

Conclusion:

If it continued the overly potent eau savage type smell I would consider using it for a while. The fact that it goes off into several directions then gradually dissipates into sweet nothingness confused the heck out of me. Personally I think this scent goes in too many conflicting directions without any of them relating well to each other.

It is not a bad scent though and it does have some interesting moments but they fade in my opinion.

jtd's avatar

Calyx by Prescriptives

Calyx (1986) presaged the fruity floral era, and if considered as a fruity floral is among the most beautiful of the genre. But to my mind Calyx occupies a specific place in the evolution of the fruity-floral chypre. If Diorella is a certain distance further down the road from its predecessor Eau Sauvage (similar in distance to Cristalle from its predecessor Chanel pour Monsieur) then Calyx is further still on the same trajectory. It shares the gorgeous dissonance that makes both Diorella and Cristalle so beguiling. It gets there differently, though. Cristalle and especially Diorella find a fruit that’s just a bit too ripe. Fruit that’s at the point of jumping from sweet in taste to boozily aromatic in scent. Just a half step from turned

Diorella smells of both lemon and melon. Calyx, true to its Big 80s origin creates a franken-fruit of bergamot-guava-mango. Grapefruit? It doesn’t need to be over-ripe. It is simply effusive in the way ripe tropical fruit often is. Take the metafruit and add just the right rose, powdery but not too sweet. Then ground it in a bittersweet moss-labdanum chypre base and you have one of the most expansive fruity chypres you’ll ever smell.

The fruit remains present at drydown and is dominant in both the top and heart notes. In this respect, Calyx is the fruitiest chypre you’re likely to meet. Others have referred to the fruit note as synthetic. I’m sure it is, but no more or less so than Diorella’s melon or Femme’s plum. Calyx’s drydown is similar to Diorella’s in that it is classically mossy and austere with the phantom-lushnesss of the fruit remaining. A little smart decadence to get you through the day.

yoyo's avatar

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Opens with a very fruity scent, then after few minutes mint starts to come out. Then it turns to the washroom cleaner scent similar to PR pour homme. Opening is distinctive enough, but the basenote is off putting. Next please.

yoyo's avatar

Zen for Men by Shiseido

Synthetic fruit juice like thousands other drugstore scents. Pass.

Slayerized's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Knize Ten by Knize

The offensive opening reminds me of being in a car garage smelling petrol, tar and rubber and then suddenly the garage changes into a shop where they sell lots of leather shoes! Really amazing though I can understand its dislike.
    After that it changes again in a very very distinguished, sophisticated, not offensive and manly scent with perfect sillage and longevity.
    The dry down is a perfect original smell of (mainly) leather, amber, a touch of vanilla which makes you feel like a real man. Genuine leather!!
    Classic warm old scent that is still perfectly wearable these days (35+).

BrianFantana's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Curve for men is a good choice for any teenage novice who is looking for something cheap and somewhat pleasing to untrained noses. It will garner you occasional compliments from varying women who like slightly sweet, floral, and woodsy scents.

As for me, I think I'd rather spray myself with lysol and call it a day. The best part of the fragrance in my opinion is the dry down. I can't stand the top of this because I feel as if I just dabbled myself in a synthetic mess... Then it dawns on me that I just did. Overall this fragrance is generic and boring.

There is a lot of love for this cologne mainly because of it's cost and there are women who do like this one. However, in my opinion this cologne is at the bottom of the rung, and associates itself with the likes of Eternity and Cool Water... fragrances that I think are marginally better than Curve.

Longevity: 6/10 Doesn't last long on my skin. 4-6 hours.
    Projection: 7/10 People should be able to smell this...
    Compliments: 7/10 Women do like this one. Due to it's popularity? I think so...
    Smell: 3/10 This does nothing for me. Look elsewhere for a quality fragrance.

Overall: 5.8

scentimus's avatar

Monsieur Musk by Dana

The only musk I will wear - I call it a good cheap thrill.

Most musks to me smell very old lady floral powder bomb. This one has a unique grassy green spice to it. It is almost like an expensive man's bar of soap.

Never loud or shrill it just stays very close to your skin and only detected by those who get very close to you.

I always keep a bottle on hand when I need to take a break from fragrances.

suburbanites's avatar

Aventus by Creed

At first, I was challenged by this Creed until I realized the niche it fills.

First of all, it's not initially an especially deep or robust fragrance, and at first blush it might smell like any other cheap and cheerful designer fragrance one could buy at Sephora for a fraction of the price. Not so fast, though. If you thought that, you've not given the interplay of top notes the opportunity to blend and settle. It gives way cleanly to the heart layer of dry birch, patchouli and Moroccan jasmine. The blackcurrant still lingers just enough to make the mix interesting and fun to smell. The dry down to the base of musk and amber is long enough yet still light enough to be pleasant.

The other reason that Aventus finally appealed was that I really needed a nice summer-wear fragrance for those sticky and humid New York days that wend their way into sultry evenings. Aventus manages to be refreshing, clean and interesting without being overly cloying. Longevity is terrific, sillage is about right, and it doesn't become a stifling fog that merely sits around you. Simply put, this is the perfect summer Creed, bar none. It also has more appeal to a younger clientele than would a more heritage Creed. It's a nice balance between refreshment and longevity without stickiness, and that's really what makes it work. I'm not going to say "buy unseen/untried" but I'd encourage anyone to simply try, let it dry-down, then give it another smell perhaps an hour in and see if the differences between this and a Sephora-type scent du jour don't become more apparent.

This is a Creed I'd no longer hesitate to recommend -- I'm truly convinced after being a skeptic.

suburbanites's avatar

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

I just had the opportunity to try this, and at first, it's a truly interesting scent. Off-Scenter's description of the fragrance notes and ordering are quite accurate. This dries into the heart and base within the first half hour where it stays for roughly the next couple of hours -- the musk and cypress are a nice mixture, and compared to the TFPC Italian Cyrpress, it definitely feels more authentic.

That's where the love for this wanes. If only it just stayed at the heart note and the juxtaposition of musk and cyrpress, I would have been content with the fragrance. Given the next couple of hours on my skin, it all turns pear-shaped for me: the cyrpress fades into what I can only describe as something resembling either "Ammonia" or "Floor polish". While I wouldn't quite term it "Pine-Sol", I'm hard-pressed for anther accurate comparison that conveys the essence of what this becomes. It feels more like a cleaning agent during its last gasps before it disappears entirely (and thankfully).

Longevity is less-than desired: Sillage is somewhat good. But deep at the base, I definitely feel as if I've tipped over industrial cleaning solvent. Your mileage may vary, so I won't entirely chalk this off, but whether this works for you will depend completely on your skin chemistry. Alas, it didn't mingle well with mine.

BrianFantana's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Polo by Ralph Lauren literally defines an era. When I'm wearing this I have a habit to think that I should be sharing a Gran Habano Corojo with Caddyshack's Ted Knight at Bushwood Country Club's VIP lounge. It is a manly man's fragrance. I do not recommend this for teenagers or people just starting out in fragrances. However, I feel that most will grow to love this one. It starts off with a strong pine and leather scent, that sombers down into a beautiful oakmoss and leather dry down. In my opinion this is the best out of the Polo house. Does it date you back to the late 70s and early 80s? Sure. Do women go absolutely crazy over this one? Not really. Will it make you feel like a man? Most definitely.

Longevity: 9 I get 8+ hours.
    Projection: 9 Watch your sprays on this one. People will smell you.
    Compliments: 5 You don't wear this for compliments. You wear it to be a man.
    Smell: 9 If people are still loving this some 33 years later, then it speaks for itself.

Overall: 8

Tam Dao by Diptyque

I held off testing my array of Diptyque samples for quite some time, and I'm afraid that I started with the wrong one: TAM DAO. To my nose, this is an incense scent, pure and simple. The good news is that it lacks the asbestos quality which I've encountered in a the incense offerings of a couple of houses, notably Comme des Garçons. The bad news is that I just don't find this one very interesting. TAM DAO is a dark woody incense composition which holds potential but lacks the base notes that make for great orientals. I'm not detecting any benzoin, resins, musk, or much of anything else here. Just a solution of powdered incense. If that's what you're looking for, then you might like this a lot, though I should say that the longevity is not great (predictably enough).

My own preference is for incense ensconced in a significantly more perfume-y base. Incense alone is not enough to hold my interest. Désolée.

Ofrésia by Diptyque

Diptyque OFRESIA reminds me quite a bit of Leonard LEONARA, probably because of the significant benzoin note, which is a focal point rather than serving more as an anchor or a base. This floriental composition has feminine appeal without being overly flowery, but I think that I prefer the LEONARA. The florals in this composition are not that distinct, but I might be smelling some freesia. OFRESIA also has a light touch of wood and possibly incense as garnishes. I'm quite curious to see how this appears in a side-by-side comparison with LEONARA, so let's go ahead and try that right now, since I happen to have a bottle ready at hand...

Okay, I'm back and prepared to affirm that, in fact, I prefer LEONARA to OFRESIA. It's smoother, richer, and more scrumptious. Above all, LEONARA showcases benzoin much more so than OFRESIA, which seems by contrast rather dry. OFRESIA is nice, but LEONARA is better, for what it is. Of course, those who prefer flowers to resins will likely prefer OFRESIA... And that's just fine with me!

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque

Diptyque EAU DE LIERRE is a crunchy floral green with true unisex appeal. Among the dominant notes appear to be both hyacinth and lily of the valley. There's a significant amount of brownish grassiness here—as in the grass is becoming dry without quite being dead yet. EAU DE LIERRE is definitely greenish, but there's not much overlap here with übergreens such as MA GRIFFE or FUTUR. The overall effect is clean but in a back-to-nature not a fresh-from-the-shower way. I like it.

Although some floral greens (read Gucci ENVY) grate on my nerves as their all-too-synthetic renditions of lily of the valley expand to the point of near suffocation, here the notes all seem very natural and do not grow like the blob over time. EAU DE LIERRE is a gentler, calmer floral green. Perfect for warm weather!

23 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2011)

Opus I by Amouage

This is way too much. Opulence and richness are very dengerous territories in perfumeyr as they can easily cross the border of excess and vulgarity. Opus I may not result vulgar but it's surely excessive. Way too sweet, way too strong, totally unbalanced. An overwhelming white floral potpourri/tuberose combo that's absolutely devastating. I can't smell anything else, sorry.

23 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

Fabulous liquid musk to make a perfume lover feel in paradise...

This review is of the perfume oil...x

23 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 August, 2011)

Opus II by Amouage

I can't exactly say that Opus II is disappointing but at the same time it's neither completely satisfying. I've grown fonder and fonder of this stuff, yet I'm still quite on the fance when it comes to commit to a full bottle. The fragrance strikes as a cardamom driven composition built around a woody-incense base and characterized by a fougere-y facet. It opens with a blast of citruses and lavander immediately joined by cardamom slowly taking over during the middle phase. The typical Amouage frankincense note is quite remarkable throughout but it plays its main role during the drydown where Opus II turns into a discreet and well refined spicy-woody skin scent.

Overall Opus II is a superbly crafted composition that will appeal to fans of modern fougeres (aka "nugere") such as Invasion Barbare or 1725. Don't get me wrong, these fragrances don't share many objective similarities with the Amouage but, somewhat, they play in the same ballpark. Easy to wear yet luxurious, restrained yet with personality, versatile yet not dull. A perfect everyday's fragrance for anyone into understated elegance and for those who prefer "refined details" to straight in the face ostentation. Maybe not as distinctive or unique as one would expect at these price tags but still pretty enjoyable.

23 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 September, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

Not a fan. Many compare this to one of my favorite scents, Terre d'Hermes, but I really don't see much of the comparison... On my skin, this is all about licorice, nutmeg and cedar after the initial grapefruit top note. The cedar being the main similarity between the two scents to me. The grapefruit top note here is nice, but it lasts for just a few seconds and is gone, leaving just the licorice behind; transitioning to the nutmeg and cedar notes. I regret my blind buy of this one and have gave away my bottle with no regrets. Memoire d'Homme gets a below average rating of 2 stars out of 5 and an "avoid" recommendation.

23 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 20th September, 2012)

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Edit 2013:

I completely fell for this stuff. No, it's not the most original fragrance around but it wears incredibly good. A classic masculine which is extremely well blended. If you need something solid, with no particular twist, versatile but at the same time classy, go for it. Somewhere bewteen Aramis and vintage Equipage. Good stuff.

Original Review:

Feuilles De Tabac is one of those fragrances that while they definitely smell good they're also not particularly outstanding or even inspiring/evocative to do a review.

A nice citrus/spicy opening evolving into a green tobacco leafs middlephase that's pretty enjoyable and well executed yet not particularly fascinating. Hints of coniferous and a sweet ambery/tonka beans base is all I get in the drydown. Overall Feuilles De Tabac could be much better if just a little more daring but considering its conventional evolution it ends up being just nice. Good but not full bottle worthy.

23 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 April, 2013)

steven214's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Extremely versatile and I will be spraying this for the rest of my life period.

Aftershave lotion is also great..

23 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2014)

Darvant's avatar

Ferrari (Red) by Ferrari

Conventional even if somewhat distinguished and well appointed citrusy-herbal juice with some aquatic-metallic trail at the beginning, several green-aromatic element, a floral spicy heart (mainly orris and nuttmeg) and a woody-musky virile. The aroma shows its soul since the beginning becoming along the time just barely soapy and warmer (even because of the implemented vanilla that softens the musk) but remaining substantially the same (bitter-herbal, lemony and woody). There is a low progression among the phases and I share the "monolithic" definition with Odysseusm. The final outcome is a soapy lemonade with a delicate floral wake and a sort of bitter (herbs-tobacco veined) undertone. Go out cool and casual in a warm sunny morning in Rio de janeiro.

23 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 October, 2014)

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Not bad, but certainly not great either. Did not like it much for the first hour or so. Liked it more after 6 hours. Pleasant, but nothing like the uber-elegant Esencia by Loewe which is how fresh green has evolved to perfection.

Pino Fifty by Silvestre

I felt a slight tinge of urine emitting from the citrus when I first wore Pino Fifty. Almost stopped me wearing it. Sillage is not good, nor is longevity.

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

Diptyque JARDIN CLOS is aptly named, for this is a floral greenhouse perfume, with lots of flowers complete with stems and leaves all exuding oxygen faster than you can breathe! I've sampled a few other greenhouse perfumes in my travels through the world of perfume, and this one is considerably milder than some of the others—including one by Calypso St. Barth—which are a bit overwhelming. JARDIN CLOS, in contrast, is very well-behaved. Floral, yes. Green, yes. But both in a pleasing way.

JARDIN CLOS is more green and less brown than EAU DE LIERRE, and for some reason presents an orchid-like facet to my nose. As I wore JARDIN CLOS earlier today I was even reminded of Lalique FLORA BELLA, but in a side-by-side comparison tonight, I must say that they are very different compositions. Both are very floral, but the Diptyque is very green as well, while the Lalique, when lightly applied, has more of a tropical vibe and is not at all green. FLORA BELLA packs a powerful punch and must be sparingly applied in order to enjoy its layered beauty. (Overapplied, it becomes something of an orchid nightmare.) Forced to choose between the two, I'd have to take FLORA BELLA, but JARDIN CLOS is a fine floral green with a slightly soapy edge in the drydown which I can commend to anyone who likes the greener perfumes of that genre.

In terms of greenness, this composition is still quite a bit milder than MA GRIFFE (Carven), FUTUR (Robert Piguet) and CARILLON POUR UN ANGE (Tauer). Not sure that I know any men would wear JARDIN CLOS, despite the house's claim that this is unisex.

Fred360's avatar

Sea and Sky No. 20 by Tokyo Milk

A pleasant scent that smells fresh in a marine way without being artificial. I may get a bottle at my a local store.

Oyédo by Diptyque

Diptyque OYEDO is a fresh citrus scent featuring petit grain or agrumes, it seems to me. This composition bears resemblance to some of the offerings of the house of Fresh. An inviting, natural-smelling citrus cologne with a touch of vetiver and perfect for warm weather. I must be anosmic to whatever is inspiring all of the shout-outs of "odd!" "strange!" and "weird!" To my nose, there is nothing revolutionary or earthshattering here at all, just a typical niche citrus creation made with high-quality components.

Many niche offerings strike me as similar to ice cream, offering variations on familiar, comfortable themes but using high-quality ingredients. No one is inventing anything radically new in the ice cream world at this point in time. The idea or, if you will, Platonic Form of ice cream is well-established, and we often find ourselves drawn to the classics. Although gourmet “innovators” may try to convince us that we want to eat basil or chickpea gelato, and those savory flavors may work well served as a small part of a larger presentation, the truth is that sometimes we just want a big bowl of good old-fashioned vanilla or chocolate ice cream well made. It's not a demerit to anyone's mind—and least of all their tastebuds or tummy—that the best ice creams around are all copies of flavors that have been around for a very long time.

The same story holds, mutatis mutandis, for citrus colognes such as OYEDO, IMNSHO. This one works just fine--for what it is.