Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Eau Lente by Diptyque

The first time I applied Diptyque EAU LENTE I discovered that it is as strong as its golden amber color would suggest—more of a perfume concentration than an edt, it seems to me. Eventually, the composition dries down to a smooth and luscious amber. Unfortunately, to get there one must suffer through a spice-cabinet opening, which is so clove-heavy that it somewhat ruins the journey for me. I tried a second time, applying the edt quite a bit more lightly but still found the opening unpleasant. To my nose, this perfume is simply unbalanced, and it's not worth the wait to get to the fine drydown since there are plenty of amber perfumes around town which are a joy to wear from start to finish. Désolée.

SpiritOfGonzo's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

An incredibly sexy fragrance, by far my favourite thing to smell on a woman. Highly recommended.

Olène by Diptyque

Hmmm...narcissus and wisteria?

According to my nose, white flowers abound iin Diptyque OLENE, to be precise: white flowers of the big, bold, bodacious type, including Tuberose with a capital T. There is also quite a dose of night-blooming jasmine here—and there may be some gardenia as well—but the tuberose note is initially so dominant, in fact, that it's going to determine whether or not you like this composition, it seems to me. If you're a big fan of buttery presentations of tuberose à la CARNAL FLOWER and FRACAS, you will welcome OLENE with flaring nostrils. If, on the other hand, you find such emphatic expressions a bit overwhelming, you'll want to steer clear. I fall into the former category and would love to add a bottle of OLENE to my small collection of haute floral perfumes.

Diplomat's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Refined and elegant, fresh, masculine, a "business suit" fragrance which was also my signature scent for at least ten years from around 1985. I've gone back to it again and again and find it to be almost timeless.
    ...Until I found Esencia by Loewe. The two are very similar, sharing opening notes and an overall signature. But there is a much more complex drydown to Loewe's Esencia which is now my signature EDT and will stay that way for many years to come.
    If you like Esencia then you will like Armani's Eau Pour Homme, and vice versa.

Diplomat's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Individuel by Montblanc

Have it, love it. Very elegant. I got this as a gift from a friend and then had to go out and buy myself a bottle when the first one ran out. I am now on my third.

Made a mistake of leaving the third bottle at a girlfriend's house. When I returned a couple of weeks later to pick it up, it was half empty: She had been dousing her pillows with Mont Blanc Individuel every night to remind herself of me.

I don't find it generic at all. It is easily recognizable, to my nose at least. Sillage is out of this world: Just right out fantastic. They smell you coming, and in a good way. Longetivity appears to be less outstanding. On me it lasts around 4 to 5 hours.

Donald Trump The Fragrance by Donald Trump

Get yourself a jar of Vlasik, put the juice in an atomizer and voila: Donald Trump "The Fragrance".
    It will be cheaper and as bonus you get to eat the pickles!!!!!!
    In few words, don't waste your time in this hideous concoction

findtheriver's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

The Eddie Haskell of fragrances. Only June Cleaver would be fooled by the clean cut barbershop facade that this cologne presents. Those of us in the know see the mischievous bad boy lurking just below the surface. I love this scent!

Hyperdeficit's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A very good Fragrance. It smells like a barbershop. A clean soapy shaving cream smell. age range definitely 20 and up. It smells kind of like azzarro. I wasn't blown away by this one but let me clarify. I was blown away by how good it smells, but there is nothing special about it. Don't let that deter you. I am going to be purchasing this and using it as a "I don't know what to wear today cologne". It won't ever disappoint and is a good everyday cologne, but there is nothing unique or special about it. I love the shaving cream smell.

Sashka Black by Martine Micallef

One of the best perfumes out there, period.
    Unfortunately is has been discontinued, but this gem can still be found in ebay.
    It is strong with a capital S, reminiscent of the powerhouses of the 70's and 80's
    Artemisia, lavender, patchouly bomb, lasts all day long and sillage ain't shy either.
    Of course if you are an aquatic lover you'll despise this fragrance, it will fry your nostrils if you are not careful, and that is what I like best of this bomb.
    Love it, love it, love it

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Diptyque L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU opens with a ferny feeling and then suddenly a rosebush pops up out of nowhere. After a couple of minutes, though, the “fern” note, which I believe is angelica, given its behavior—takes over the composition completely, shrouding the rose in relative obscurity. I've learned through a few niche testings that angelica is really not a note that works well for me. Perhaps I am extra-sensitive to the point of finding even a modest dose excessive. Whatever the case may be, L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU ends up being yet another (quasi-)angelica-focused niche offering that I really cannot see myself wearing much. I own the solid compact of this perfume, which unfortunately offers an even stronger presentation of the fernish angelica (or reasonable facsimile) note and while it does not make me ill, neither is it a perfume that I would reach for before, say, 200+ others.

This was a bad blind buy on my part, a gamble based on the entirely arbitrary fact that Diptyque has chosen to offer only a few of its perfumes in solid form, all of which I decided to acquire as a part of my quest to expand my understanding of that much-neglected medium. Maybe if I wear L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU enough I'll develop a tolerance to this hyper-super-ueber-fernishness. On ne sait jamais. Hope springs eternal, and sundry other hackneyed clichés, not to mention pleonasms and, yes, redundancies!!!!!

Eau Duelle by Diptyque

Diptyque EAU DUELLE is a somewhat sweet floriental. Pretty inoffensive but also not very thrilling. I wore the liquid edt both yesterday and this morning, and I have now applied the solid perfume. Yesterday's wearing was, I have to say, entirely forgettable. I didn't even notice what I was wearing for most of the day. I'm finding the solid perfume quite a bit more appealing. It's less sweet and more incense-y and I find it more oriental and less sugary than the edt.

I've tried (and acquired) a number of houses' solid perfumes, and Diptyque's has a wonderful texture: soft and oily, rather than hard and waxy. The oiliness appears to be contributing to the composition as well, as I really do prefer the solid EAU DUELLE to the liquid. The packaging of the Diptyque solids is gorgeous: a black-enameled stamped vessel with a lot of heft and an appealing closure mechanism. The only problem I foresee is that the lid is flat and only rests on top of the perfume, rather than enclosing it. This makes me wonder whether this would travel well, since the perfume itself is already quite soft. I can imagine, for example, this melting out of the container all over one's bag in hot weather. But that's okay: I'll leave mine at home, where I can admire it in all its beauty and wear it now and then.

I'm giving a neutral rating to EAU DUELLE, all things considered, since I only really like it in the solid form. I was underwhelmed by the liquid version of this oriental composition and would not add a bottle to my collection.

LiveJazz's avatar

Canali Men by Canali

Canali Men was bitter and unpleasant on me. Nobody else has used the word "bitter" to describe it yet, and I'm wondering where all these reports of a fruity, floral leather scent came from. It smelled something like a stale cigar with nutmeg to me. Strange.

whitelace's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

This is one giant of a fragrance, and purple with a capital 'P'. Peppery sweet plum for starters, then it's a wallop of heady florals which include carnation, tuberose and jasmine; amber, sandalwood & vanilla are some base notes. Dark, sweet, spicy, and rich. Because of its enormous sillage and longevity, I'd caution to keep that in mind when choosing to wear this. I was lucky enough to acquire some vintage parfum. It's simply glorious. When the mood strikes, I apply a couple drops and might keep all the enjoyment and appreciation to myself. Poison will broadcast itself for miles.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Finally I finish my 3.4 oz bottle of this concoction and my words while I was tossing the empty bottle to the trash were "Good ridance".
    Synthetic, cloyingly sweet mismatch of clashing notes that activates my vomit center, only a young, unsophisticated nose can enjoy this monstruosity.
    At any rate, if you still like something like Le Male, get Cubano Gold wich is much better and costs just a fraction of the price of the blue male torso ugly bottle juice.
    My most enthusiastic thumbs down

AppleNerd's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

My girlfriend used to wear this until her bottle ran out. It's a calming and relaxing scent thats very uplifting. It smells cheap from the bottle but on her skin it smelled... magical? A steal at this price, just hope it doesn't get much attention because I like this under the radar. An undoubtably great fragrance...

AppleNerd's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

Bought this for my girlfriend to replace her bottle of Fancy with something with a little more quality. The fruits all mesh into the vanilla and the cinnamon is slightly noticeable and the musk is very heavy, being the biggest note, but not overwhelming. A rather... tempting fragrance with a name that fits ;)

elneto's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Back in 2003, in Le Parker Meridian in London, their entire bathing products was L'Orange Verte by Hermes. I've never smelled this fragrance until then. The soap, the shampo, the foaming gel and even small colognes were in the hotel bathroom.

Since then I fell in love with this Hermes fragrance. maybe it's the nostalgia of walking through the streets of London in this fantastic smell. But I had to buy a bottle of this juice.

Unfortunately the normal LOV didn't last more than an hour on me, that is until I bought the Concentrè version. It lasts 6 hours on me, which is not usual on my skin, and the extra mint on this formula is very refreshing, although it might sting a little in your neck.

It's my favorite citrus fragrance. Viva Hermes

Harajuku Lovers Wicked Style - Baby by Gwen Stefani

My favorite of all the Harajuku lovers line that I have tried. I love the whole sweet creamy blend. I imagine I smell a praline note in it, but it is not listed above. It has a nice skin-like quality to it, when it dries down and I never feel ostentatious wearing it. It's gourmand for sure, but I don't feel like I am wearing candy (Pink Sugar) or kool-aid (Couture Couture, Harajuku lovers wicked style Love). It is not powdery like the original Baby, it is more creamy. My second favorite harajuku lovers is the original Love, it is pleasant and aquatic.

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

Love this scent. It is perfect to layer on other Bvlgari fragrances, my favorite being Blv EDP II. I have the edt and it does not last a very long time which is the only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars. It's great to spray on after another scent is fading, to give it a boost. Also perfect on its own if you want a quiet, close to the skin scent.

turron's avatar

Gucci by Gucci Sport Pour Homme by Gucci

Firstly, ignore everything you've read here on basenotes if your a young, active person just looking for a summer scent. Basenoters will review this fragrance negatively a) because it's not ¨niche¨b) because it's Gucci, and c) because it says ¨sport¨ on the bottle alone.

This is a juicy, heady, woody aromatic that borders on aquatic. I've smelled pretty much everything and this really stands out to me. Really excellent use of juniper and fig, above all.

This is the scent I would wear on a hot Corsican day at the beach. In fact, next time I go, this will definitely be my scent.

As for longevity, I live in hot weather and this lasts and lasts. The first time I wore it was when I sprayed it under my shirt at the duty free in an airport and after several hours at the airport, and then a 4 hour flight, I could still feel it waft up from my chest.

If you're an eccentric old man who only likes niche scents, this isn't for you. If you're young, especially in college, this is a great everyday and going out scent with good longevity and projection (and I pretty much do not say that about any scent...because the vast majority don't last). Also, this is a compliment getter, for sure.

Pure DKNY by Donna Karan

I like the idea, I like that the container is recycled, though I have no doubt that it contains pthalates and many completely non-natural chemicals. I even like the scent itself. but to me it does smell very floral. I smell the vanilla, but it seems almost drowned by a honey-suckle or gardenia scent.

turron's avatar

Solo Loewe Eau de Cologne Intense by Loewe

An equally long-lasting, less cloying, better version of Azzaro Chrome with an incense-y drydown.

davant123's avatar

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

Ummm.... has anyone stopped at the Lancome counter recently?? They reissued this with a new bottle and it says right on the tester that the bottle is new but the juice is the same..... NOT! it is not nearly as green and now where near as strong.... even the SA said it is not the same...??? TYPICAL!!!

24th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd August, 2011)

jtd's avatar

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

Love in Paris is a tidy, smart floral, accessible yet creatively distinctive. The flower note is broad, a sort of idealized rich, dry white/pink flower. But if the flower is the noun, fruit and herb are the adjectives. The fruit Love gives you is more the flavorful scratchiness of fruit skin—peach? plum?---than the meat of the fruit. It keeps Love from veering anywhere near syrup. The sweetness comes from the anise, not the fruit. Fruity sweetness is a lingua franca of commercial feminine perfumery, but here sweetness and fruit flavor are separate elements combined to mimic a more vernacular sweetness. Clever, actually. It’s a sly sweetness that would appeal to many noses.

In most designer releases, sweetness is two-dimensional. More volume-up, volume-down than nuance. Do you prefer 8 lumps or 12? Love gives us a compact but more three-dimensional sweetness that is a perfect backdrop for the florals. Anise also lends that chilly feel that makes the flowers feel just pulled from the florist’s fridge.

I’m a fan of this perfumer, Aurélien Guichard. Love proves that he is able to work in designer, niche and traditional house (ie. Guerlain) with equal fluency. Love, Bond’s Chinatown, Guerlain’s Anisia Bella show some riffs on similar compositional themes without repetition or monotony. No mean trick in contemporary perfumery.

24th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2011)

Tabularasa's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Reflection Man by Amouage

I´m working my way through the Amouage lineup, and they´ve all rather impressed me thus far. The exception being this, obviously.

Not sure what I expected, judging from the notes listed, this is something I might like. Unfortunately, all that I get is a huge blast of floral, followed by cotton candy and corn mixed with death. Carnival at the mortuary perhaps?

24th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 19th August, 2011)

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Chloé (new) by Chloé

Okay, so I just went over to my local drug store today and sprayed a little bit of this (Chloe by Chloe 2008 version) on my wrist just to see if I like it. I was recently looking for some really good rose and cedar fragrances so I decided to try this one to see if maybe it could possibly become my new signature scent. :)
    Unfortunately, it turns out that this is a fragrance I can't wear at all. :(
    The minute I sprayed it on my wrist I smelled something that reminded me of celery and sea salt. (Or maybe seaweed and sea salt, lol??) It reminds me of the ocean or the beach but not in a good way. It's the kind of smell I immediately want to wash off of me. When the fragrance developed I could actually smell the roses, but mixed with the other notes even that kind of came across as nauseating on me. I know that sounds harsh, but I'm just being really honest here. This fragrance is definitely not for me. (Either that, or this bottle was "off", but i strongly suspect this is a perfume that just doesn't work on me.) There are other rose fragrances that I love BTW (Like Red Door by Elizabeth Arden or Coco by Chanel for example) so it's not like I hate rose perfume either. I just don't care for this one. LOL!

edit: I just realized what it is about this fragrance that I dislike so much. On me, the only notes I can really smell a lot are the base notes (amber and cedar.) There are other rose and cedar fragrances that I love and that were done really well (see: Feminite du Bois)but it's because they are balanced well with other notes. In this one, I am mainly just smelling the green woody notes and they unfortunately come across as harsh on me.

24th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29th August, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

I guess any good perfumisto/perfumista, sooner or later, has arrived to the point to wonder what makes of a fragrance a good fragrance. Uniqueness? Raw Materials? Execution? My personal answer is that, while all this elements can make the difference, at the same time they may not necessarely coexist and New York is a good example of my statement.

This fragrance isn't among the most unique or distinctive around, it doesn't count rare or precious raw materials in the note list, but it's definitely well executed. Don't expect something groundbraking or outstanding as you will be disappointed. All the Luca Turin's talking about New York has created great expectations among perfume lovers, expectations that too often have been unattended. Just try to approach this composition with an open mind, as if it were just one among others and not Turin's favourite and you'll discover a great fragrance.

The first comparison that came to my mind when I first smelled New York is the one with an old armchair your family bought in the 70's. It was handmade, not particularly beautiful but extremely comfortable and solidly crafted that rapidly became your family's favourite. During the years it survived to several relocations, to new eye-catching designer fournitures, to technology and it's still there in your living room. Worn-out, somehow out of date but still your favourite. New York is all of this. It's not original, it's not the most catchy fragrance around and it's definitely old-fashioned but it's still tremendously reliable and honest. These aspects are its points of strenght.

I won't go through note explanation as you can find billions of descriptions anywere but let me report one thing a good friend of mine used to quote:

"Don't try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out". Henri Matisse.

Thanks Saripatates.

24th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th February, 2012)

drseid's avatar

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This one is not my cup of tea, I guess. It just smells like bathroom cleaner on my skin... Not hideous cleaner to be sure, but why do I want to smell like *that*? Superb staying power and is relatively potent for this kind of scent, so for those who do enjoy it my recommendation is go easy on the trigger. 2 stars out of 5.

24th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd January, 2013)

flathorn's avatar

Clean Ultimate by Clean

One of the best of the Clean line on my skin. Most of the rest threw off weird synthetic, or cheap household chemical smells. This one smelled subtle, clean, and non-synthetic. It becomes a skin scent fairly quickly, so it has little sillage, which is well and good, sort of in the concept of the line. It's not especially long lasting, or I quit smelling it at a certain point. This one is a nice surprise from this line.
    Edit: I bought a bottle and had fallen out of love a quarter of the way through. I'm still looking for a 'clean' fragrance I can love.

24th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2015)

Chicagoista's avatar

Champaca Absolute by Tom Ford

Scent begins with a pop to the nose—warm cognac spiked with bergamot. Not altogether pleasant. Scent then calms down a bit and one can smell the dyer’s greenweed (at least that’s what I think I’m smelling, as it is listed as one of the top notes), a pingy floral. Blessedly, the frag coalesces after about five minutes, and begins moving in an unsurprising line. The champaca dominates, and one can smell the vanilla in the distance. I could not identify the violet or the jasmine notes, but I will say the fragrance packs a sweet wallop which almost did me in. Because of this, I cannot imagine Champaca Absolute at all on a man. I became happier with the frag as it continued the drydown. It became very warm, with the amber, marron glace, and sandalwood forming a nice accord. Still, there is something off-putting to me in this frag that is hard to identify: the scent begins high-pitched, and that quality never completely goes away. In fact, after several hours it still nags on, and for that reason I give it a thumbs-down. Good sillage and longevity, though, for what it’s worth.

25th July, 2011