Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Diplomat's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Black Soul by Ted Lapidus

Very very very nice. Warm and rich, somewhat along the likes of 1 Million but more elegant (and, amazingly, at less than half the cost).
    This is one I will be using more and more. It is mostly for night use but it would also work in an office setting. A sweet and hidden gem which you will be glad to have in your collection. Good stuff.

Diplomat's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Ungaro III by Ungaro

I have to give this a neutral, for the new (and current) Ungaro III which has been reformulated. There are two versions of this. The new one has a black bottle and black cap top. Kudos to Ungaro for a beautiful, classy bottle design. However, with regards to the fragrance itself: It is mild, fresh, nothing special on my skin, and unlike some other reviewers I did not notice exceptional sillage. Longetivity appears average or even less than average. It will work for some and the price is not outrageous at all, but this is not a fragrance which I would buy again if or when the juice in my current 100ml bottle finally gets used up.

adonis's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Big compliment getter. One of my favorite fragrances. It shares some of the same qualities that also makes Bois du Portugal unabashedly masculine, although I prefer Rive Gauche much more. You can't judge this one by the opening - an hour in is when the magic happens. Works well in any weather, although a cool stormy day and RG is an the perfect combination - perfect, I tell you! :) I wouldn't recommend RG to high schoolers, but by your later college years you could pull it off. Just don't expect this one to resemble anything found on your average dept store shelf. Two thumbs way up.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Eau de Charlotte by Annick Goutal

A whimsical fragrance that begins lightly green and fruity with blackcurrant . The signature Annick Goutal aroma is always there . Eau de Charlotte becomes sweeter and more jammy, milky as the scent dries down ,all the while remaining ethereal and soft in character. The cocoa note is very subtle .
    To me there IS a similarity with Folavril with the light tart green and fruit in the begining but Eau de Charlottle carries her own style though as it is sweeter and a little powdery as it progresses.
    One of my favorites from Annick Goutal.

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Had tried this many times when i was in town and friend off mind bought a bottle for himself from duty free 125ml for under £40

Polo black is now what its seems, u would believe due to the colour choice of black that this aftershave would be woody heavy and smell slightly like a biker.

But ever time i spray i can smell strawberry not to same extent as paco black xs but it is there and you can smell the lemon and other fruits overall polo black is a woody fragrance but thankfully the fruit notes gives this a little bit of a identity and different than pretty much any other woody fragrance

i would say this can be worn by any age and i would wear this at night or clubbing i get 6 hours when i spray this on. So buy this if you like it :D

leto's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St Clement's by Heeley

That much money for a simple&plain citrus cologne? No thanks, not even worth sampling.

RobAtSGH's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I love, love, love wearing Habit Rogue. It's a scent that lifts my mood all day long as it wears; evolving quickly away from the bright top notes in the first half hour to a solid spicy, woody, floral core, and then slowly fading to a dusty, amber-rose at the end of the day. It's classic and classy - a fragrance to wear when you want to come across as the mature, stable, confident one in the room.

If I could only have one EdT, Habit Rouge would be my desert island scent.

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

Something in the top notes is vaguely familiar….I know I’ve smelled this stuff before, but where?? Then it hits me after reading the other reviews. It is a strong indolic scent that reminds me of work with it in chemistry lab. It is accompanied by a slight flowery note with hints of lavender that soften over time. At its base, vanilla with hints of leather take over. A bit of musk is in there as well. This is truly a unique scent and one that I’d have to give a thumbs up for just this. Is it wearable? Not quite sure, though I bet there are some occasions it would fit in just fine.

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

This one opens with a very strong ashtray/cigarette smell. Very authentic, but not something for anyone expecting to get a straight tobacco smell. This, however, lasts for a few minutes max before subtly fading into the background of jasmine. Some slight muskier accords later on, but this one pretty much lives up to its name.

Encens & Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange

just too sweet for me with the bubblegum overtaking the incense note. If you concentrate on one or the other you can get each note, but the sweet, scent of dubblebubble just overtakes it all. Really much more of a feminine scent and just doesn’t work at all on me

Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

I thought I’d really enjoy this one when first applied. It has an overpowering citrus and bergamot opening. However within 15 minutes this fades and becomes predominately patchouli and clove, heavy on the clove.

Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange

Begins with a sweet, honey laced mandarin and apricot note. Not heavy on the sweetness, which is good as too sweet and I can’t handle it. A vanilla spiciness then enters that eventually transforms into an incense-laden musk. Overall, a nice fragrance and a good gourmand that I can’t think of anything to compare. For me though, it is something that I would rarely wear.

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

Rien starts off with a splurge of aldehydes laced with leather. Some incense/florals begin to make there way in, though not too heavy. The leather is animalistic and on drydown it becomes very woody. Almost cedar-like. I would think just looking at the notes that I’d love this fragrance, but I’ve worn it several times and it just doesn’t do it for me.

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is in my opinion the best that this house has to offer. A citrus and aldehyde opening that smoothes into a leathery/musk base. Not an over powering leather ala Knize 10 by any means. Just a wonderful and smooth accord. An overall easy fragrance to wear anywhere and it is just balanced oh so well.

pansylady's avatar

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I sampled this fragrance on a sunny February morning in Stockholm, as I was just beginning to recover from a case of winter bronchitis that had me home-bound and unable to smell anything for a few weeks-

Wow, I felt as if I had been given an injection of some kind of feel-good mega-vitamin! The sheer exuberance of this orange blossom powerhouse was definitely what the doctor ordered!

As the cumin notes began to make their presence known, though, I got a bit of a locker-room vibe- incredibly animalic, almost embarassingly so- I was glad that I wasn't in a roomful of strangers or on a crowded Metro...

Having recently tried other orange blossom fragrances by Prada and L'Artisan, Fleurs d'Oranger definitely stood head and shoulders above the other two for power and originality- but this fragrance seems built for seduction rather than for everyday use-

pansylady's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

I love citrus notes, and so expected to love this one, but it definitely gave me the impression of a shaving cream scent...

jayjupes's avatar

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

This may be my favorite "green" fragrance. This may be my favorite fragrance I've ever smelled. I will have to try it against Anne Klein II to be sure, but this stuff is so lovely and clean but not shrill or piercing. The kind of scent that makes things happen.

Can't pick apart the notes but I do get aldehydes and the oakmoss is not so "grubby" as what I'm accustomed to.

Genius. I wish there were more scents in its class, or, if there are, I hope to smell and own all of them.

pikachu2460's avatar

Musk Gazelle by Madini

This is not musky or animalic at all.
    This is more like the scent you associate to the typical 'Arabic' perfume. Spicy, floral, woody.

Very good scent nonetheless, but should not be called musk.

drseid's avatar

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

A BIG thumbs up on this one from me. The top notes are OK, but uninspiring. My first reaction was "why all the hype on this one?" Then came the mid and base notes... Very nice cedar/flinty scent that lasts and lasts. Every time I wear RMW, I like it a bit more, and such a great value too at discounted prices online... Definitely five stars value-wise, 4 stars out of five outright.

25 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Bellagio for Men by Fragluxe

Nice simple and pleasing alternative to L'eau d'Issey pour Homme. The fruity/peppery top notes are really nice on this one, and while the aquatic dry-down is nothing special, it is very accessible and pleasant. I can't stand L'eau d'Issey, but I like this one and would choose it easily between the two at any price (but even more-so as it is 1/4 or less the cost). A very good 3.5 stars out of 5 rating for the scent outright, but top marks for its stellar value.

25 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

heperd's avatar

Kanøn by Kanon

Just goes to show you that you cannot rely on % of positive reviews to get a safe blind buy. I got this one and Norwegian Wood at Ross for $6.99 each and they are both terrible. They are dirt cheap for a reason. They smell extremely cheap and should not cost more that a dollar at the Dollar Tree. The original smells like imitation Old Spice cut w rubbing alcohol and Norwegian Wood smells like an imitation of one of the Dana scents from the early 90s-Gravity or Navy or something but worse. I dont care how cheap they were im returning them. Wont wash off either. The wooden top is nice, but i should have known not to spay them when the name is on a wrap around paper sticker that was crooked.

FISS80's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

I really enjoy this scent!! I am not a summer fragrance kind of guy because I really enjoy smelling dynamic and changing scents and it seems most of the scents that fit this category are made for fall/winter wear. Another reason is that almost ALL summer scents disappear from my skin with an hour niche and designer alike. I decided to peruse the blogs on basenotes and find a few summer scents to wear because I have no choice but to wear a summer scent(pensacola,fl 100 percent humidity everyday lol!!). I came across reviews of this scent as well as Bleu de Chanel. Originally I felt that Chanel was the fragrance that I would choose after spraying both on my wrists because I felt that 212 was not projecting as much as I had hoped. I was happily mistaken!! While I was in line to pay, I smelled this wonderful green scent and lo and behold it was 212!! I had never heard of this scent before joining basenotes and I have never smelled anyone wearing it. I promptly left my place in line to go get a bottle and I am so glad I did. It seems as if as the day goes on the silliage actually intensifies. It has only been a day but I am very happy that I made this purchase. A definite smell before you buy though.

FISS80's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This has to be the most rich, well crafted fragrance I have ever smelled in my life. If I only had one fragrance that I could wear for the rest of my life I think I would choose this one. The silliage on this frag is unbelievable and this was just a 5ml sample!! I will be ordering this this week. A MUST HAVE in any fragrance lovers collection whether you like florals or not.

Infowarrior's avatar

Frank No. 2 by Frank Los Angeles

Astounding Fragrance! Michael Kors meets Chanel Allure Homme, as technojin stated, but the lasting power blows away Michael Kors. I had issues with Michael Kors because of it's staying power and now I have found a better version that lasts 24 hours...seriously. Did I mention the compliments! Every time I wear it.

Oproust's avatar

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

This first time I tried Lalique Pour Homme (EDP), my initial thought was "This reminds me of the iris in Dior Homme." While I don't detect the lipstick accord that some folks identify in Dior, iris is a major player in Lalique's mid notes. After the citrus and lavender notes fade (fairly quickly), we are left with a powdery iris that lasts on my skin for about 1 1/2 hours. This is where Lalique almost loses me. Too much powder, but then the iris begins to fade a bit as the patchouli and vanilla emerge, providing a nice balance to the overall character of the fragrance. My nose completely misses the jasmine and lily-of-the valley. The amber accord in the dry down is restrained (more so than in New York, for example.) Lalique PH dries down into a smooth and dignified fragrance with a discernible sandalwood note filling out its development. Lalique PH is a fine office fragrance (after the first hour of application) and also works well for formal occassions. I recommend it as an alternative to PdN New York and Dior Homme.

Shifty Bat's avatar

Viking by Royal Copenhagen

Viking is interesting, but not in a makes-me-want-to-wear-it kind of way. Spicy-fresh, with an herbal anisic opening reminiscent of the later Perry Man, viking's fatal flaw was lack of focus. I once mentioned Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme is like everything I enjoy smelling crammed into a juicer, and this guy apparently tried the same approach but brought the wrong 'everything.' The real problem occurs about a half-hour in, when the fresh, airy herbs wilt in the face of a monstrously ugly musky pineapple smell that remains on the skin for a good day afterward.

thatmakesscents's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I just got this today and here are my thoughts:

Nice. I can see how people would relate this to A & Fitch ( I live two blocks from the store) but it is a little more complex than AF. While AF smells similar it doesn't have the density that this does nor does it smell as rich. Probably because chanel uses a higher grade of ingredients. One poster mentioned this before.

It also has a few in things in it which AF doesn't have so lets *forget about AF.

A retail website I visited described it as a woodsy floral musk fragrance which I think is spot on. I like it because musk has great staying power on me and has worked with my body chemistry forever! There is also a nice mix of vetiver and woodsy notes to satisfy my recent liking for green scents. The result is a sweet sexy (italian/latin) type fragrance with just enough bite (woods) in it to keep it mature smelling.

An elegant fragrance. I look forward to overusing it.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Rare Diamonds by Avon

On me this smells a lot like Tom Ford's Black Orchid Voile De Fleur -but lighter at least through the top/mid notes.I bought this semi-blind based on the basenote silliage trail a customer wafted around my workplace. She was smelling so like zingy sparkly patchoulithat I had to try this myself .

Shifty Bat's avatar

Bijan for Men by Bijan

This smells like I grew an herb garden and set up a spice rack inside a dried-out tree. It's awesome in the literal sense. Spicy, sweet, musky, powdery, smoky, earthy, and a damn fine masculine chypre even after reformulation. Talk about bang for the buck too - Because one should only ever wear a drop or two at a time I'd say two bottles of Bijan could last an eternity. And the juice radiates off the skin like Gaia just exploded.

manicboy's avatar

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

So, this is what happens when a flanker outshines its parent. The opening is tweeked with mint and grapefruit to grand effect. Opening notes stick around much longer than in big daddy CW and the drydown pumps up the musk and moss more which is CW's main fault. No grapey and cheap drydown here. Just a nice and pleasant interpretation of CW that outshines the original by mile.