Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Jicky by Guerlain

I love Jicky, but I'll buck a few trends among the cognoscenti.

1) I prefer the EDT to the extrait.

2) The first time I smelled it (before I ever heard the Shalimar/Guerlain creme brûlée mythology) I thought Jicky smelled like lavender creme brûlée. Didn't make me like it any less.

So there.

jasonsicilia's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

SMW is my go to summer frag. The notes I get are a fresh citrus opening with a smell of cloths that have been hung outside during fall time. Its very close to imperial without the melon accord. I find it much freshe and softer. Its really a anytime scent formal or informal. My complements are almost everytime i wear it.Really opens well in warmer weather. Its not overpowering and there is nothing worse than an overpowering frag when its hot outside. Highly recommend it.

JackTwist's avatar

Poême by Lancôme

I was intrigued by Juliette Binoche's sponsoring of this scent so purchased a .14 oz sample bottle.

I can hardly smell it, even generously splashed about my neck, arms and wrists. On me, it is extremely faint and when I actually get a whiff, it is a nondescript floral with an unusual, almost cloying basenote.

At least my curiosity has been satisfied. For value there are thousands of perfumes far more worthy at the price.

Le Grand Duc's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Égoïste Cologne Concentrée by Chanel

There are those who will tell you, that the modern Égoïste is both a sillage and longevity monster. That few juices are stronger than that.

But, my dear friends, the modern EdT is like a faint mist of nothing compared to its vintage formulations. And among them, the Cologne Concentrée is the reigning king.
    It's very close in smell to the modern one, just way denser - with sillage to match.

Two big thumbs up!

siovale's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

I absolutely adore this fragrance. In fact, I do believe it is my favourite of all the fragrances I own, have sampled or even just inhaled on my way through any given perfume aisle.

I close my eyes, and I'm transported to the fragrant bazaars of the Middle East: incense, rose, jasmine, cedar woods combined with ambergris to deliver a heady, enveloping caress.

I have sampled hundreds of fragrances, but L'Air du Desert Marocain is, for me, without parallel.

Kiehl's Pour Homme Essence Oil by Kiehl's

Another thumbs up! The juice in this unsuspecting little roll-on vial does not mess around. Kiehl's Pour Homme Oil is one serious manscent. Long lasting, compact, almost ruthless in its pointed presentation of the classic macho fougere accord.

It moves confidently and hits all the right notes: citrus, piney woods, a big ol' balsamic tobacco note, and all manner of potent spices. As others have said, it has strong ties with Aramis Havana, but without that brazen rum opening note. The resemblance is strong in the heart and base.

It is extremely potent and long-lasting, and does not meld into the skin like some other fougeres, such as Azzaro Pour Homme or Rive Gauche. It leaps off the skin and attracts attention to itself as its own entity, rather than as an extension of the wearer.

silentrich's avatar

Chrome by Azzaro

For what it is Chrome does it's job. It's not exciting or complex, but does smell good. It's a step up from Axe or Lynx and a good fragrance to sharpen your teeth on. Overall I'd give it a C+.

silentrich's avatar

Loud for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

It's supposed to be a fusion of music and fragrance. Cool bottle and box, but the juice itself is not LOUD at all. Smells like citrus with a little bit of rose. The tobacco and patchouli are virtually non existent. The best thing Tommy Hilfiger could do would be to make his bottles refillable because what's inside of them can basically be flushed down the toilet.

SirScent's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Excellent!
    A True Classic and Masculine scent on the lines of Aramis Tuscany but lighter.
    Everything about this is classic including the bottle.
    I actually have 2 bottles of this...One marked 80% and another marked 89%.
    Let me say that the 80% volume has greater depth and longevity.
    I use the 89% for casual wear and keep the 80% for more formal times.
    This will always be a favorite of mine.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

To those who find the EDT concentration too floral, I strongly recommend trying the oil version of Kiehl's Original Musk. I once owned the EDT spray and swapped it away because - you guessed it - it was too floral. The musk didn't seem to mesh with the strong, almost soapy flowers in the heart. I saw what the scent was aiming for: that interesting but difficult to execute juxtaposition of clean and dirty accords, a la Kouros. But instead of coming together to make something interesting, the notes seemed to be fighting each other in the EDT.

Fast forward a couple years. I read some reviews of the oil that indicated a less floral musk blend. So I picked up a .25oz vial of the oil, and sure enough, it was everything I hoped the EDT would be when I first bought it: that rich, attractive, interesting and almost savory musk note comes into focus here. It is incredibly attractive and versatile. The florals are still present, but they're definitely subservient to, and almost embedded in, the dominant musk. Like the other oils in this line, it has excellent longevity.

The oil version of Kiehl's Original Musk is outstanding, and the price is certainly right. $25 for the .25oz vial of oil, and $35 for the .5oz bottle. Both oil options will last as long as or longer than the 1.7oz EDT spray.

riso's avatar

Eau Duelle by Diptyque

The dry down reminds me of Barbara Bui Le Parfum. Soft skin vanilla scent. Nice!

sherapop's avatar

La Perla Blue by La Perla

I acquired a bottle of La Perla BLUE scent unsniffed on the strength of my nose's reception to the original LA PERLA, which I find simply fantastic. My hope was that the house of La Perla would prove to be similar to that of Trussardi: a hidden treasure trove bearing within it many beauties to be unearthed.

What I have found is that BLUE is not nearly so appealing to me as LA PERLA, but it's a bit difficult to say why. One problem is the generally strange quality of BLUE as regards category. It's sort of a chypre, and not really aquatic but somehow watery. BLUE combines notes in an original way which makes it difficult to wrap my nose around. I want to like it, and I've been working my way through the bottle in an effort to gain a deeper understanding of this perfume, but I have to say that it does not really fill me with delight.

Yes, BLUE is wearable, and a perfectly fine choice for summertime, in that it is light and carefree and does not degrade in the heat. However, I don't find myself worrying about how I'll replenish this supply once it has been depleted. I tend to prefer declarative, unequivocal perfumes with clean lines. BLUE is just a touch too blurry and vague. Perhaps what really matters in the end is that I simply do not derive the same sense of refreshment from BLUE as I do from my other summertime scents.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Essence for Men by Scentuous Fragrances

A Le Male clone that is less sweet/cloying. Less synthetic too, but overall not worth the expenditure. Not a bad scent, unless you already have Le Male

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Tcharas by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

After the somewhat surprising cool patchouli opening, the next few minutes reveal a dry yet bracing accord of what smells a lot like a blend of frankincense and rock rose. Salaam mentioned the use of 'flowery essences' but other than the patchouli which does have floral nuances these other 'florals' probably exist in trace amounts.

Similarly for the listed civet and castoreum, they are never given starring roles, employed as they are in the service of the composition by adding depth and texture, barely noticeable except late in the drydown for that lived-in vibe. I found nothing remotely 'barnyard'. If there are indeed any animals in this barn, I'm guessing they comprise of a cat, a dog, some mice and perhaps an owl.

On my skin TCHARAS is nothing more than a soft incense-patchouli fragrance. Nice but certainly nothing groundbreaking. If only the composer had taken a little more risk and push the boundaries of 'wearability' a little further...he'd probably end up with... Hindu Kush!

Wise Owl's avatar

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

This is what i'd call a fruity aquatic. A great scent for the summer with good longevity. An inexpensive scent that is a worthy addition to anyones collection.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Indu Kush / Hindu Kush by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Funny how I could smell the deep green mossy undertones within minutes of application. Beyond the aromatic spices and uplifting incense, HINDU KUSH shows surprising depth, with beguiling balsamic facets that put me in a meditative, even contemplative mood. Luca Turin hit the nail on the head when he described it as 'resinous oakmoss'.

Wise Owl's avatar

Echo by Davidoff

Echo is a sweet and artificial smelling fragrance with an almost metalic note to it. Great for keeping fresh in the summer or just for day to day office wear. I would recommend it purely for the bottle itself which is clean, crisp and modern just like the juice it contains. I can't imagine that Echo is to everyones taste though, so be sure to try before you buy.

SirScent's avatar

Daddy Yankee by Daddy Yankee

Thank Heaven for Basenotes.
    I would have passed Daddy Yankee up as just another Pop star fragrance until I read the reviews and purchased a bottle.

What I don't see mentioned here is an anise-like accord with the initial spray. May just be my nose but I get a nice licorice note that smells wonderful.
    Refreshing fruits and a nice drydown that smells like fresh woods.
    Decent longevity too.
    This is not a cheap smelling frag but a well made scent at a great price.
    I like it very much.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

A nice cucumber note highlights the opening of Wall Street, and a salty note in the heart and base holds my interest for a time, but at its core, this is bland aquatic business as usual. Well-made but very typical. Fans of aquatics and of cucumber notes in particular should check it out. I think of it as a high-end rendition of Polo Blue, with more of an aquatic edge.

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Im going to give this a thumbs up due to the criminally low price this can be found at it. Not the best fragrance I own, but its a decent oriental(ish) smell with average longevity. It does smell good on the skin and is a fantastic daytime fragrance fro someone who just wants something cheaper to use often and smell good/clean/fresh (much like the other two fragrances in the zirh line) As some reviewers have said it was nearly there but the blend and quality of ingredients have let it down slightly. Still, at the rock bottom give-away prices this can be found at its definitely a good buy.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Winter fragrances don't get much better than this. Its boozy, spicy, rich and warm - The smell of christmas in a bottle. If worn out on a cooler night this WILL get you compliments so don't be alarmed to find some of the less shy (or maybe very drunk) women inadvertently bury their nose in your neck for a closer smell. It hits the balance between masculine with an air of rich sweetness perfectly.

This can be a very potent smell so I spray sparingly, unfortunately the longevity is a bit of an issue with this one so I would recommend letting it dry and reapplying lightly before leaving.

For me this one is strictly for the colder months and more for night wear. Its maybe a bit too rich for an office/work environment.

sherapop's avatar

Deci Delà by Nina Ricci

I'm not surprised that DECI DELA was discontinued, because it is a very confusing composition. The opening offers a waft of chemical-smelling solvent which would no doubt turn off lots of people. However, patience pays off in this case, as the drydown of this fruity chypre is delightful. Similar in some ways to other perfumes in this cateogry, including YVRESSE and Rochas FEMME, DECI DELA has a distinctive raspberry note which brings it closest of all, according to my nose, to Bond no 9 BRYANT PARK. The primary difference between the Nina Ricci and the Bond is that the latter is significantly sweeter than the former, with raspberry becoming a focal note (along with rhubarb, which is not present in DECI DELA at all), although it is still ensconced in a gorgeous modern chypre.

I have the eau de toilette and the eau de toilette concentree of DECI DELA, and I really enjoy both and find that the longevity and sillage are quite good even in the edt. Whenever I wear this perfume, I find myself remarking at some point during the drydown how lovely I smell. (-: But I do aver that the opening could be a real turn off. I would recommend BRYANT PARK to those who like the general idea and aesthetic of DECI DELA but wish to skip the solventy opening.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is an amazing fragrance, one of my all time favorites. The bizarre mix of cooling eucalyptus and a creamy caramel/vanilla smells both seem to merge perfectly with each other to create a creamy yet cooling hybrid of notes that, as others have said, is a very sensual/sexual smell but definitely a love or hate one, but its a must for an collector due to its individuality.

Despite the cooling effect and feel it has, I would definitely wear this in the cooler time of the year though in reality it can be worn at anytime if you crave something different to stand out from the issey/212 crowd

I would wear this (in moderation) on a date or to a bar if I didn't want to play it too 'safe'

27th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 06th August, 2011)

Janotte11's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

I did not like this cologne when I sprayed it the first time. I got a strong, sharp smell that was nose-piercing. I sprayed this on one hand and Silver Scent Intense on the other.With the passage of time, I started appreciating this as a true masterpiece. I like the way the notes change. This is truly an elegant cologne that distinguishes itself from all the "moderns". I like it.

27th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2011)

Oproust's avatar

Lomani by Lomani

Lomani Pour Homme = one part Drakkar Noir, one part Bowling Green and one part Tuscany. I enjoy each of these fragrances and was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled upon a bottle of Lomani in a discount store. I've read the comparisons to Drakkar Noir. I agree; very similar openings. Lomani's citrus opening is sharp, but I find it less obtrusive than its rather rambunctious cousin. The lavender top note emerges from the citrus notes, but it never becomes a "lavender" scent. The juniper is pleasantly prominent in the mid notes. I smell flashes of Baie de Genievre, one of Creed's better offerings. The drydown is "dry". The patchouli and oak moss are the most distinctive base notes. The vetiver is not dominant which is a plus, since I dislike strong vetiver scents. I really enjoy Lomani Pour Homme and wear it often. If you are a fan of shape shifting fougeres this one is worth a try. Inexpensive, but quality ingredients. There is enough going on here to hold my interest and elicit an enthusiastic thumbs up.

27th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th August, 2011)

electric33's avatar

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

27th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29th September, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

L'Homme Sage by Divine

L'Homme Sage opens like a firework. A tiny and barely perceptible (mandarine) shot towards the dark sky that explodes with a magnificent and stunning effect (saffron). Wow! At this point the firework usually starts to fade out but with L'Homme Sage it's like witnessing to the "gran finale" as smoky frankincense, cardamom and woods immediately start to shine surrounded by a consistent dose of sweet amber and achieving an incredible lasting power.

Overall, after the sparkling opening, L'Homme Sage has a warm character, It's comfortable, deep, velvety and kinda meditative. A bold (but not loud) composition that has a solid structure and some weight and remarks its presence with a very distinctive allure.

L'Homme Sage is here to prove that in modern perfumery is still possible to produce a concoction of ingredients that deserves to be called a FRAGRANCE! Very Good!

27th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 09th March, 2012)

Shalimar by Guerlain

We all have our classics that are nothing like we remember from back in the day. ('I used to wear [insert classic] until they RUINED it!) I tend to get more wistful than angry over this (Odalisque.) But just as I've sat to write about Shalimar I've found another reaction, which is to notice and then not particularly to care. I'm on a plane right now and passing through duty-free earlier spotted Chanel Antaeus, my first fragrance, my only signature fragrance, the one I wore exclusively in my junior and senior years of high school (81-82) and then intermittently for years. My first thought on sniffing it was 'this is quite literally nothing like what I used to wear.' My next thought was, 'Oh, look! They've got No 19 EDP!' and I went and spritzed.

The upside of digital perfume communities is the sharing of experiences. I have learned so much reading Basenotes reviews and threads---had more laughs, more ah ha! moments than I can count. The downside, though, is that a perfume hobby seems to engender a nostalgia/anger about how things used to be. There's that sense that contemporary perfumery has taken something intrinsic away from us. Our response is often a fetish for distinction and provenance, and of course the ensuing butt-sniffing and pack hierarchy. You know: 'I'm sure you THINK you love your current Mitsouko EDT, but you'll never truly know her until you've smelled my 1967 extrait.' I'm as guilty as the next person.

But Shalimar unexpectedly elicits in me an attitude I've tried to foster. Things do change. But I just love perfume and find immense joy in it. Call me common, call me simple, but I currently wear the most recent Shalimar EDT and love it. It just makes me tail-waggingly happy to smell it. Citrus, growl, smoke, scratchy amber & vanilla, opopanax, a sly incense. I'm sure it's not the parfum from 1925, but then again I'm not a 20s flapper. How wonderful that that era had its Shalimar. But they didn't have our Bois de Violette, my Insense, my Secretions Magnifiques. This is no pollyanna desperate optimism, no deflection of resentment. We live in a spectacular era of perfume.

My 2010 Shalimar tells me to screw the iconography and embrace the perfume. It also makes me imagine the fun of watching the apoplexy of the current generation of young perfumistas going as shrill as we have over the resctrictions on our beloved oakmoss. Imagine the heel-clacking and outrage among the Angel set when ethylmaltol, identified as the causative agent in the future medical diagnosis of Acquired Intolerance Syndrome, is outlawed.

27th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2012)

New York by Nicolaï

New York, along with Shalimar, Guerlains's Vetiver, Cuir de Lancome, Knize Ten and Diorella are my most frequently worn perfumes. Makes me feel a bit stodgy when I look at it, but classical perfumery appeals to me. I do think I have a fairly catholic sense of classicism, though. I find the best of Etat Libre classically formal in construction. Lutens reinvents classical, and most of the Piguet line absolutely venerates the classical. New York has never done me wrong. When I crave it, it satisfies. When I'm uncertain what I want to wear and put on New York, it's like an olfactory moment of kensho.

New York's secret weapon, besides its utterly flawless evolution is its powder. Powder is often mentioned in the context of the old-lady perfumes, tedious dandy fragrances, uninspired aldehydic fragrances. But New York's powder is gunpowder. It is a bitter, powdery dustiness made even darker by orange/bergamot resinousness.

Chypre? Oriental? Powdery Wood? I'd probably give you a different answer on any given day. Like the best perfumes, New York has a deliberate ambiguity that makes it seem less elusive than actually alive.

Update: Seeing Luca Turin’s note in the “Little Book” I tried the most recent iteration. Light orange cologne. Heartbreaking.

27th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th May, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Very synthetic, generic and disappointing. I really have nothing much more to say about it, except it smells like just about every other safe aquatic scent out today with the addition of a cucumber note to the same old, same old mix. It won't offend anyone, but it is unlikely to impress either... certainly not me. I don't mind Polo Blue, but I wish I wouldn't have bought it. I recommend sticking to the original green bottle Polo which is a much, much better scent. 2.5 stars out of 5.

27th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02nd January, 2013)