Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A tenuous thumbs up for this one. Enough has already been said about the notes, etc. I find it a pleasant enough aquatic, but way over-rated and over used. I own a bottle, and once or twice a year during the Summer will use it, but I find that the scent just is not really my cup of tea (like most other aquatics) and I almost always reach for something else. That said, Aqua di Gio still deserves credit for being the catalyst for the trend towards aquatics in general, earning 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.

29 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Calypso Homme by Calypso Christiane Celle

I hear they have renamed this scent Tangerine, and now market it as unisex. That probably is a good idea, as I blind bought it when it was marketed as a male scent called Calypso Homme and found it was much more feminine smelling than I cared to wear. It is a fresh tangerine citrus blend on my skin, with a tropical sweet vibe. It is not an unpleasant scent, but difficult to wear except maybe on a tropical island on vacation. I started out giving the scent a thumbs down, but after further review, I think I will give it a weak neutral at 2 to 2.5 stars out of 5 (especially as it is now marketed for what it really is, IMO).

29 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

suburbanites's avatar
    suburbanites

Elixir by Penhaligon's

Rather than repeat what's already been said in droves about the composition of the fragrance -- it's clearly something about which you have strong feelings -- I'd much rather focus on what this particular fragrance is and is not.

It IS rather nice. They've done a wonderful job on combining the components into a very nice melange that blends well and seamlessly transitions through the various elements. Incense, sandalwood, tonk a, all blend well in a surprising way with the eucalyptus and florals, striking a very god balance with a refined scent that is charming, alluring, and very pleasant to wear.

It IS NOT durable. Being an EDT, it's among the weakest EDT's I've tried. Within 2 hours, it's vanished such that you actually wish that it were a more cloying experience. To quote Harold Melvyn, "The love I lost was a sweet one," and this would be the fragrance that I'd certainly love if it had better longevity. The notes are all there, but they play in too subtle a manner for anyone but the wearer to enjoy, and only then for the shortest of duration.

This is a fragrance my wife had gotten, noting the presence of incense, and recognizing her deep hatred of TFPC Amber Absolute. This was olfactory pleasing for the all too brief time slice it lingers, but it's too fleeting. If only this could have been done in an EDP strength versus a concentration that's barely EDT, they'd have a keeper for me.

colognedude1's avatar
    colognedude1

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

this is a pretty good scent it lasts all day it projects very good the top smells very good. its really strong so only 2 sprays.

ViViD's avatar
    ViViD
    Japan Japan

Corduroy by Zirh

Oh yes, oh yes, this is a wonderful scent. I love the cardamom which is ever so present in this cologne. It goes well with the vanilla in the bass. I will say however, it is very much a unisex scent, but I like that about it. It goes on strong with the citrus and cardamom. but dries into a soft sweet scent that many compare to Bvlgari Black. I really enjoy this, as it smells expensive but costs less than $10. It can be worn as casual as something like Old Spice, or it goes well with the suit and tie in a formal occasion. My only big complaint is that the lasting power is not a good as I would prefer, but while it lasts, it is amazing and for the price, you will love it! I highly encourage you to give this a try.

LiveJazz's avatar
    LiveJazz

Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Yes. Brut.

This is Brut, projected through the prism of the most modern fragrance styles, distilled with the essence of all the best that came from the "ozonic" trend, artistically molded to resemble an idealized high-end tailor's shop, and cut to a trim and stylish silhouette by Douchafour. Awesome.

MysteryBuff40's avatar
    MysteryBuff40

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I had high hopes for L'Eau Serge Lutens because a) I respect the creativity and quality Lutens puts into his scents, and b) I love clean, reserved fragrances, so the idea of a scent that smells "like a clean, white shirt" intrigued me.

Unfortunately what I experienced upon wearing L'Eau Serge Lutens smelled more like plastic and melted cheese. Basically a grilled cheese sandwich wrapped in cellophane. No freshness. No purity.

Sorry, Serge, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I'll continue to enjoy Gris Clair (fresh lavender against the backdrop of a bonfire) and Five O'Clock au Gimgembre (autumn and winter holidays in a bottle).

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

Clean Shower Fresh for Men by Clean

You get what you pay for here, and I think the name says it all.
    A good scent to wear to work.
    Don't overdo it on the trigger; The first couple hours of wear tend to have a massive citrus/soap projection.
    If you like the way Irish Spring soap smells, this may be a safe blind buy.

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

this is the only tobacco smelling frag.its very good,sophisicated for evenings and events.the best.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

this is brilliant! it does smell like wet concrete! very different than anything out there,awesome bottle as well.i have a/s, deo stick,the full monty.

MysteryBuff40's avatar
    MysteryBuff40

Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume

Such a great concept, but such a strange fragrance.

This seems nothing like the other reviews I've read. I don't get airy, breezy, ocean, East Coast, leather suitcase. It starts out smelling a little like suntan lotion, moves into a long plastic phase, and then turns faintly plastic with basil on a slice of pizza.

I tried this on the same day (different arm) as L'Eau Serge Lutens and I must say they are not miles apart, though the Lutens is stronger with far more sillage and longevity.

Too bad. I was hoping CB I Hate Perfume's water fragrances would be more natural, but from my first experience this smells synthetic.

Musc for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

this is exactly the same as original,but with the [violet?] in the beginning.chrome bottle is cooler,but not as good as o.g.![GANGTER ORIGINAL!]

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

i love this creamed lemon smell! this DOES NOT SMELL LIKE O.G. ALLURE! this is lemons & thick cream! lasts long and is superb. have the a/s but not deo stick,as chanel insists on putting alchohol in its deo sticks,and burning my pits til i feel like dying! STOP IT,CHANEL!

Allure Homme by Chanel

this is good,you all know why. but nowhere near as hot as edition blanche or platinum egoiste!

Unforgivable by Sean John

i don't have/tried creed m.i.,but if this smells just like it,it ain't that great.don't get me wrong, its a nice mans cologne but nothing spectacular about it.have the a/s balm and deo stick,both are very nice and work well.

LittleFish's avatar
    LittleFish

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

I remember the patchouli, vetiver and leather smell, the heady intoxicating "yes I own a stable of horses and I have a roomful of gold bullion" feeling, that smelling Gentleman, evoked (for me anyway). I agree with what MJW77 said "masculine gentle-manliness". In the 70's and 80's Ii vividly remember walking up to men wearing this and practically shouting "what is that fragrance that you are wearing?" I am not kidding when I say that I wanted to marry any man, even if he was an old man, who wore this (all 7 of them that I ever met, haha).
    It just goes to show that how someone smells can make you love them :) Especially if you have a heightened olfactory sensitivity, as most of us on this forum probably do.

Unforgivable Eau Fraiche by Sean John

you'd expect something amazing with all the ingredients in it,but basically o.g. but lighter and "fresher!" 125ml for a decent price on ebay makes it worth the time.good for after shower in spring/summer!

Unforgivable Multi Platinum by Sean John

another of the very few now[and that was years ago] i bought on ebay.same as o.g. but definitely "classier" and citrus/sparklier? very nice if you can find it.cool frosted glass as well.

Usher for Men by Usher

if you bought this because of celebrity,you're a clown.i bought for its awesome smell and awesome flat black bottle! this smells of smooth velvet wood.it smells.....black.have a/s ,deo sticks,all work well.you can get box sets at great prices,well worth it.

VIP by Usher

this is for men,not women! anyways, super cool bottle and cap,if it weren't for that ugly gold seventies style "V" on it! the frag is different,nothing like o.g. usher and has a dull[smooth?],bubblegum flavoured playdough vibe to it! i like it! and you can get sets on ebay for cheap,its worth it.

MUFRAP's avatar
    MUFRAP

Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire

Directly I sniffed this one I knew it was a fragrance I'd smelled before! Behind all the incense and conifer/pine which is just something a little extra, really.

SERGE LUTENS AMBER SULTAN

I'm amazed nobody has picked up on this as of yet!

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Mandarine by Il Profumo

At the beginning you are enveloped by a bitter very sour citrusy blast of orange, mandarine and green notes while going on the juice becomes kind of smooth and plastic as the smell of  a fruity jelly or cream. You can perceive the sort of talky-milky touch of the eliotrope while the scent becomes lighter and more velvety. This one is a pleasant and joyful summer fragrance with a certain level of distinction and appealing.

Fath Pour l'Homme by Jacques Fath

this is a nice,old school sort of gentlemens cologne.to me it doesn't change much, and i don't think its too offensive on the street. fresh sprayed in an office might get you punched,though. the price is right and very cool bottle and cap.worth having in your collection.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

i have two of these! smells like booze,like everyone says! its really awesome! but it does not last long on myself. worth having if you can find.i just saw he has come out with pure havane,and i want it! haven't had the pleasure of pure coffee,but if its like malt i bet its stunning.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

one of my first colognes,125ml,got as a set online. very masculine and long lasting.the secret is the "beads". smells dignified and exspensive.high end oils used. the deo stick smells true to the cologne.

After My Own Heart by Ineke

The aesthetic of AFTER MY OWN HEART approximates something like a cross between FERRE edp and Bond no 9 EAU DE NOHO. I'm not sure why since neither iris nor violets are listed among the notes, but there you have it, my honest, untutored reaction to this gorgeous perfume. AFTER MY OWN HEART features, instead, lilac, and may actually represent the strict antithesis of both the Caron violet perfume, AIMEZ MOI, and Guerlain INSOLENCE (that is, no added dextrose or plastic notes).

The Ineke is also more complex and perfumey than, say, the purple floral offerings of Christian Celle, Borsari or Jean-Charles Brosseau; or the Prada iris trio. This composition is also less masculine than purple perfumes such as Yves Rocher IRIS NOIR or Acqua di Parma IRIS NOBILE. If the truth be told, I love nearly all purple-floral perfumes (the notable exceptions are post-nuclear-holocaust-perfume-Hall-of-Famer Guerlain INSOLENCE. and Caron AIMEZ MOI, which induces in me a diabetic coma in the opening minutes...) Each of these distinct compositions has its own special purple properties, and after testing AFTER MY OWN HEART, I have found another must-have for my growing collection of fine purple floral creations.

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

Ineke DERRING DO is another of this house's masculine-leaning unisex fragrances. This one, too, is probably too masculine for me, but the quality of the ingredients is indisputable, and I would heartily recommend it to guys looking for a fresh citrus woody summertime scent. I find that all of the INEKE "unisex" compositions really lie on the masculine side of the M/F divide, and DERRING DO is no exception to the rule, but I do appreciate its fineness--for what it is.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

this is a MANS smell! absolutley beautiful! i can actually smell leather and tobacco,though i'd prefer MORE! perfect for a leather jacket. have the a/s,deo stick is true to the cologne.well made and blended.super suave bottle and cap also.

Field Notes from Paris by Ineke

Ineke FIELD NOTES FROM PARIS is a rather masculine composition, with a lot of bergamot and coriander and a decidedly cologne-y feeling especially in the opening before becoming more woody in the drydown. This is a nicer one to my nose than some masculine colognes (including some of the others from this house), as it is natural smelling and appears to have some depth hiding within.

Looking at the notes indicated on the house's card, I must confess that I don't detect many of them at all—at least not consciously. There is nothing very sweet (vanilla) or oriental/chypric (patchouli) or leathery or tobacco-y about this composition to my nose. Those are all notes that I love, so I'd like to be able to say that they are present here, but I really cannot tease them out as individual components. I will say that this is a rare case of a decidedly masculine perfume that I might consider wearing now and then, if I somehow happened upon a bottle lying about my house. I do think that I might enjoy smelling FIELD NOTES FROM PARIS on somebody else. Excellent longevity and pretty big sillage.

Hmmm... I see that this has been designated for women? Now that's a surprise.

Chemical Bonding by Ineke

Note to perfumers: please do not name your creations in ways that immediately evoke visions of an organic chemistry laboratory! Ineke CHEMICAL BONDING would be an example to avoid. In fact, the composition is much better than the name would seem to suggest to those of us who have tested way too many of the sickeningly synthetic fragrances on the market today. To be perfectly frank (quoi d'autre?), I actually do not understand and am indeed mystified by the weird “molecule” trend in avant-garde perfumery, with single synthetic notes being poured into bottles and sold as perfume at niche prices. Hello? Does this make any sense whatsoever? Why not just go to a chemical supply shop and buy yourself a bottle of the “special molecule” for a tiny fraction of the cost? But I digress...

CHEMICAL BONDING is another masculine-leaning composition by this house—along the lines of FIELD NOTES FROM PARIS, and I find it about as appealing. I wouldn't mind smelling it on someone else, but it's not something that I would go out of my way to acquire. Nor is it something that I'd go out of my way to wear, if I happened to have a bottle. To me, CHEMICAL BONDING seems like a generic men's citrus cologne which falls just this side of the natural/synthetic divide. Vetiver, citrus, light florality...you know the drill.