Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Rose D'été by Les Parfums de Rosine

Les Parfums de Rosine ROSE D'ETE is a scrumptious BVLGARI POUR FEMME-like sweet rose-cum-mimosa composition to my nose. In fact, at several points during my wearing of this sample today I find myself thinking about the Bvlgari composition. Come to think of it, I really should do a side-by-side...

Okay I'm back. BVLGARI POUR FEMME is better, selon mon nez, than ROSE D'ETE. It's richer and resiny and, above all, it boasts violet! But I did enjoy wearing ROSE D'ETE, which is a smooth and friendly sweet rose perfume. I find the mimosa much more pronounced than the apple, but I do think that the sweetness of the apple together with the mimosa was what elicited memories of the violet-sweetened BVLGARI POUR FEMME. I'll continue my travels to through the world of Rosine. Looking forward to many more new and lovely rose encounters!

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

caramel vanilla,boozy concoction.not bad at all.bought as a cheap alternative to pure malt [very cheap alt!] caps are tin and cheap,magnets are kinda gay.have the a/s balm deo sticks can be used with pure malt. you'll get sick of this quickly,but it can be had for cheap and is worth having to be mated with similar colognes.

Une Folie de Roses by Les Parfums de Rosine

Les parfums de Rosine UNE FOLIE DE ROSE has a slightly dark and dirty, oakmossy edge. The rose petals seems somehow black around the edges in this perfume, imparting a distinctly gothic feeling to the composition as a whole. I would describe the overall effect as somewhere between a floralized light leather and a rose chypre.

Although to my nose this is a fairly linear presentation, it might open up differently under various weather conditions, and I suspect that it would heat up quite nicely on the skin in the depths of winter. I'll save the rest of my generous sample for now and try again once the temperature has dropped this fall...

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

When your mission statement and goal in life has become to combine rose with every conceivable permutation of all other possible perfume notes, you're going to have to face up to the world of citrus. UN ZEST DE ROSE does just that, with a big dose of yummy candied citrus rind powerful enough to make you forget that you're still romping about one of the many rooms in Rosine's resplendent rose mansion.

I have to confess that when I saw the name, I was a tad bit skeptical: rose citrus? Even the house of Fresh holds back on the citrus in its CANNABIS ROSE, and they have a penchant for citrus that certainly rivals and may even surpass Rosine's obsession with rose. Happily, my skepticism was all for naught in this particular case: UN ZEST DE ROSE is really beautiful, when all is said and sniffed.

Although the citrus rind (primarily orange, to my nose) strikes me as somewhat candied, the bitterness tempers the sweetness, making this a very pleasant citrus-rose scent in which the rose plays, in the end, only a supporting role. This composition is straightforward and linear, but the components are natural and nice enough to land this unexpected creation on my wishlist. I would recommend UN ZEST DE ROSE to anyone who appreciates a good citrus fragrance, whether or not they usually do rose...

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

LA ROSE DE ROSINE strikes me as a classic floral aldehyde of the “old lady” kind—which by the way is a term of endearment, not derogation, in my perfume book. Rose is unsurprisingly the centerpiece of this beautiful composition, created by a house built amazingly upon some person's rose note OCD. And that's a beautiful thing, too, by the way.

The house of Rosine offers a wide variety of finely calibrated yet distinctive rose perfumes, basically covering the entire olfactory map while also focusing on rose. LA ROSE DE ROSINE is closest, according to my nose, to something along the lines of Jean-Charles Brosseau L'OMBRE ROSE, with its vintage vibe. There may even be a touch of good old evernia prunastri here. Anyway, I like this one a lot, and can heartily recommend it to rose-loving aficionados of old-fashioned floral aldehydes on the chypre side.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

good lord. i mean,GOOD GOD!!!! I AM NOT EXAGGERATING, when i say this cologne will last throughout the house and on your clothes/skin for 2-3 weeks! this is a higher quality cuba gold,cigar,cubano gold sweet tobacco/red cedar blend.smells mostly like cubano gold,only more intense.you get your moneys worth believe me.this does not "evolve" or change or whatever.it stays the same,after showering for 1-2weeks! its brilliant and bottle will last you years!

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

i haven't really worn this for awhile,but white flowers describes this well,and nuthin wrong with that! gives you a clean,just showered vibe.i like it alot. this is for the la cologne version.

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

nightcutter summed it up well. lots of flowers.super cool bottle.this one makes the 1-2 week lasting power of le male seem like a joke.i smell this on my skin for 2 weeks,and on clothes for 3.a bottle should last for 30 years! i really like this one,but cannot use it because it will cancel out any other scent for at least a month!

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

now we're talkin! this is great,ultra cool bottle/cap. the frag is light orange/citrusy/woody.perfect for summer,good sillage.have the a/s, deo stick.the nuit flanker was pointless,pales in comparison to this well thought out frag.

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

this is one of the best. has a different take on the woody frag.lasts forever, 8hrs,ultra original flask.you will stand out from the rest wearing this perfect juice. have the a/s,deo e.t.c. all work in harmony with this fragrance.very much worth having in a mens collection.

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

i'll never understand...A* men? this is a givenchy very irresistible clone,only with dirt.mint and chocolate and musk[hence the dirt]. its super cheap and even more awesome! if you like very irresistible,but not the price,get this! this is just more "darker".get the set on ebay,balm,shower gel+100ml .one of the best kept secrets in the frag world.on second thought,forget i said anthing!

Baldessarini Strictly Private by Baldessarini

i agree with" creme-brulee".ultra cool black & gold bottle,but i've smelled this style all over before.not a knockout for sure,but decent enough for that caramel vibe.if you never try this,it won't effect your life.not really worth looking into.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

this is one i thought sucked at first.boring same blue aquatic,but after awhile of using,its one of the best blues ,i think.gets more distinct and pleasant with use.i used mine up,but have not re-upped.there are so many other del mars to sample!

eov8b's avatar
    eov8b

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

a creamier encre noire with a pepper note. it smells, for a lack of better words, more expensive

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

reminds me of balsm wood.i think its the yuzu that attracts me [vera wang].i like this,but can become bored with it easily.still very good frag,and worth having.get a/s,deo stick, it will add to longevity.

Cubano Gold by Victory International

cubano gold was one of my first.the o.g. to jpg, as i found out later.yes,if you like the le male vibe, GET CUBANO GOLD! exactly the same vibe.i think cubano has the edge though.they have that red cedar made wood chest smell,that doubles as a smoking cigar.another best kept frag secret!

Aiona's avatar
    Aiona

Princess by Vera Wang

I put off trying this one because of its name. But it's really not bad. I sampled it from a manufacturer's carded atomizer. It's fruity to me. Kinda aquatic, melony. Pleasant. It's not something that would cause me nightmares. I like it. I don't really smell any chocolate, but maybe that's because after I sprayed it, I just kinda forgot about it being there, unless I happened to wave my hand in front of my face. Pleasant. But not something that would cause me to chase someone down the mall to ask them what their scent is. Maybe in another 30 years, people will look on this scent as a "classic" and vintage bottles will be hunted for ungodly amounts of money. But somehow I just don't think so.

soirdelune's avatar
    soirdelune

Irisia by Creed

Am (inexplicably?) down on Creeds, and this is remarkable for being one of just a few of theirs that I like and would wear. It's a pleasant, leathery iris on me, not dissimilar to Lauder's Azuree. "Nice."

pimiento's avatar
    pimiento

Chrome by Azzaro

I wouldn't recommend this if you want to be original but ya, it's good. Sharp, fresh, & metallic with good projection and decent sillage. It's really a nice complement getter for hot days if you don't want to spend a lot of money. All that being said, you could do much better and compared to some others, this one can seem very unimaginative.

Geldachron's avatar
    Geldachron
    Netherlands Netherlands

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

I got a fragrance samples of this today. I don't see how this could be unisex. It's way to musky for a feminine fragrance. It feels like I would need to be a little older to wear this (I'm 22) but I think I'll buy it anyway.

Roseberry by Les Parfums de Rosine

The aesthetic of Les Parfums de Rosine is beginning to take shape before my eyes as today I have donned ROSEBERRY. Another very fine rose composition this is indeed! I was expecting ROSEBERRY to be a fruity-floral but find instead that it has an ever-so-slightly soapy side, along with some of the same powdery quality that I found in ROSE D'ETE. Which do I like better of the two offerings from this house that I've now tried? Hard to say: they're both quite nice rose creations. So far I'm likin' what I'm sniffin' chez Rosine!

I should observe here that, based on the wide disparities in reviewers' reactions to the perfumes of this house, I am beginning to suspect that they may have batch issues... Or perhaps there are quality-control issues with the sample vials?

Balmy Days & Sundays by Ineke

The opening of Ineke BALMY DAYS & SUNDAYS reminds me of the opening of Moschino CHEAP & CHIC. From there, however, the composition turns into a somewhat synthetic-smelling green, green, green perfume. My cat hated this one, so it fell immediately from contention. I guess that I do in fact agree with him that it seems a bit too chemically to qualify as a green that I'd reach for. Green and synthetic are natural enemies, n'est-ce pas?

In the interest of fair reviewing, I should make clear that I number among those who eschew all Irish Spring green colognes (chez Creed et al.). If you like them, then you might like this one as well.

Janotte11's avatar
    Janotte11

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

I believe it was in 2002 that I first wore this cologne.I liked it then because it smelled so different and unusual. Recently (2011) I smelled it on someone. I knew immediately that it was SF (Salvatore F..) and decided that I would buy this and give it another try. My sense of smell must have matured over the years, for although SF smells SIMILAR to the one I used years ago I no longer enjoy it. To me, the one I used years ago was sweeter.

The one I now have just seems harsh and abrasive. SF is truly unique, but it needs a refine and classy touch. As one reviewer said, he layers SF with another EDT. I believe that this is the best approach. If, however, you can wear this without layering, then go ahead.

what do I now do with my 100ml SF? help!!!!!!!!

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

It remains a mystery why I ever acquired a bottle of SJP LOVELY, not being a fan of SJP, and not a fan of celebrity scents in general, but it happened somehow, so about once every six months I take out my undeniably lovely bottle of LOVELY and try to figure out why I don't really like what's inside.

I watched a grand total of one episode of "Sex and the City," which featured the looking-for-love-in-all-the-wrong-places SJP coterie grappling with one of their cases of crabs. Seriously. Was it the luck of the draw, or were all episodes of this series about venereal disease? I did not stay tuned to find out.

Last night, however, I decided to give Carrie Bradshaw another chance and watched the movie "Sex and the City," which over the course of a long, somewhat tedious two and a half hours relays the trials and tribulations of the same group of gals as they approach menopause but without having changed much of anything about their outlook. Shoes and bags and dudes remain the focus of their lives.

LOVELY edp is a floral woody musk perfume with a slightly skanky and dominant musk note which generally reminds me of the sole episode of "Sex and the City" I watched long ago. It's just not my kind of thing: too sweaty and slightly dirty and somehow suggestive in a not-so-appealing way, like a guy who leers at every woman who walks by, making eye contact as though there were some deeper meaning behind the gesture beyond the fact that he's looking for casual sex.

Not for me.

apayne182's avatar
    apayne182

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I was really expecting the top notes to 'wow' me but in all honesty, they did not. I was completely 'wowed' by the top of green irish tweed but that is not the case here. I get a mix of sea salt and melons up top, but not watermelon that everyone says. It becomes a bit more sweet in the end and the salt mellows out a bit, but overall linear. Longevity and projecting kinda suck so i have to spray it on my shirt. I'm fine with spraying on my shirt if the smell amazed but it just doesn't. Yes, i think it is unique, but i will run through my 30 ml decant and that will probably be the end. Nice to experience, has a good smell, longevity and projection are bad, and i do not wear it much. The fact that it did not amaze me like i thought it would (along with other factors) leads to a neutral review

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

I have a friend who wears this and its aroma is heavenly. I smell the most elegant and refined pastry shop imaginable. I have a yen for dessert when I get a whiff of this. Deliciously feminine!

knit at nite's avatar
    knit at nite

Léonard Eau Fraîche by Léonard

I love almost all citrus aromatics but in 1974, when this was launched, I probably would not have appreciated the oakmoss in the base of this baby. Too bad because now, in 2011, I'm worrying that the new version has probably been reformulated due to the decrease in the allowable amounts of oakmoss. Oh well- my bottle was sold as vintage and I'm certain it is because it's the now out of favor splash style. Sniffing the inside cap, Eau Fraiche has a typical scent of a bowl of mixed citrus, a little past their prime, complete with a slight nose wrinkling upon reaction to the sourness. On skin, however, the top notes are light and fizzy. I was also surprised to have the momentary impression of the smooth and tasty cocktail called "Pimms Cup" made with aromatically flavored gin and lemony soda. Other top notes listed are " orange, plum, lavender, mandarin orange, bergamot and sicilian lemon" Moving into the heart attributed notes are "artemisia, coriander, jasmine and cloves"; with base notes of " singapore patchouli, tahitian vetiver and oakmoss". I don't know what differentiates singapore patchouli from others, but the overall scent is totally unisex- refreshing but not insipid, nicely balanced and long lasting on my skin. Not a sillage monster, definately a light and easy scent. Comparisons? Eau De Patou is as bright, but spicier; Monsiour Balman much more lemon centric; Les Nuits D'Hadrien is darker and more resinous. Citrus Aromatic is a huge scent group but would be lessened without this version.

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

Mimosa Pour Moi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

For some reason, I was underwhelmed and unappreciative of this fragrance the first several times I sampled it. After I developed allergies to aldehydes and certain synthetics, I resampled it, and magically... it works now.
    Its non-finicky, soft and reliable, naturalistic floral air is appreciated. Its pleasant personae endears itself with its lack of gaseous, modernistic stylings. I believe it corrects an imbalance in my perfume karma.

30th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 April, 2012)

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Masterpiece by LV. Pepper, spice and everything nice. Smells very unique, but in a very comforting and invigorating way. I find it difficult to find occasions to wear Piper Nigrum, but when I do, it is always a special event. Great stuff and easily worthy of a 4.5 out 5 star rating!

30th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2012)

Trauerkraut's avatar
    Trauerkraut
    Netherlands Netherlands

L'Essence de Must de Cartier by Cartier

This is a beautifully refined non-macho scent, marvelously smelling close to the skin, to keep it as a delicious surprise for those who have the privilege to enter its presence.
    If you find it, buy two bottles...it's great!

30th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2012)