Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

flathorn's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

So this is the one that started Attack of the Killer Perfumes.
    I can't wear this because of the aldehydes. It comes across on me as harsh with airy hairspray florals, and develops surprisingly little. I suppose if my skin and nose liked aldehydes I might see the loveliness of this classic, but I do not. This strikes me as the start of that slow slide toward what we all now recognise as the dreaded department store perfume smell. Now I know which one to blame.

30th July, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2013)

knit at nite's avatar

Eau Fraîche by Léonard

This scent is actually from 1974. Please see listing for Leonard Eau Fraiche

George B.'s avatar

Latitude Longitude by Nautica

I know that this scent is a “Love or Hate” cologne, and truth be told, I didn’t like this one at first. It was not like any of the other Nauticas on the market. BUT, now that I am a little older, I’m sorry that I cannot find it anymore! It reminds me of something that is trying to be sophisticated, but not too refined. Cool and classy, but not elite. The drydown is a nice mix of woods and spice…it really reminds me of a crisp Autumn day. Although this isn’t that clean, fresh “beachy” smell that Nautica is known for, this gets a 5 Star rating from me. Longevity is excellent. I just wished that they still made this one! If you ever find it at a reasonable price, pick it up...you won't be disappointed. If you don’t like it, sell it to me!

“It’s not the years in a life, it’s the life in the years!”

J.D's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

The compliments pour in on this one. Go figure....price has nothing to do with it, the scent just works for me.

Late-Hit's avatar

Bijan for Men by Bijan

If the dates shown on the Bijan page are correct, this is actually the oldest of all the Bijan fragrances. In my opinion, it is also the best. Along with vintage English Leather, Bijan for Men is one of my all-time go-to favorites. I always have a bottle handy.

Now... Is it a powerhouse? I don't think so. It is an ample scent, and appropriately concentrated. In other words, you only need two or three squirts. However, I have also found that if more is applied, the scent just gets "bigger". It does not morph into something harsh, unpleasant or offensive.

In terms of scent, I get rosemary, nutmeg and patchouli above all else, with the usual male aromatic fougere bits and pieces lurking in the background. The notes shown in the pyramid on this page are probably among the truest I have ever seen. Overall, the effect is dry, fairly simple, very linear, and nearly unique. The bottle is interesting, too.

A good scent for an older guy, or somone younger who wants to project maturity.

carlos-uk's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

The terribly sad thing about this fragrance for me is that it is seldom worn correctly. So, what is the correct way to wear it?

ONE SPRAY!!

You do not need more than that, I promise you. Just have one spray and it will work magic for you.

Sadly, every time I smell this, the person wearing it is usually a considerable distance away from me as they approach.....and as they pass. It is badly misused by the majority. When it's applied as above, it really is very good.

I do like it but not when it's worn with such ferocity as many seem to do.

earwicker7's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

This stuff is like gold. I'm literally sniffing myself all day long. I got a set of 15 niche/luxury samplers, and this was, hands down, the best of the bunch. I was expecting that Clive Christian #1 or Creed Windsor would be the ones that knocked me over (I didn't like either of them... too girly), but this was the one. I'd only been wearing it for a few days when a co-worker walked up to me and said, "You really smell nice! What is it?" The fact that she'd never heard of it made me happy; that's what I wanted when I ordered the niche samples... something that would be distinctly mine.

pimiento's avatar

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Even if I don't agree with other reviews I normally understand their gripes but the negatives for this one I really don't get. I tried this on today and find it to be one of my favorites both from the Tom Ford line and out of all oud scented fragrances.

Aiona's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Well, anyway, Kouros definitely opens with a very sharp poo scent. It smells like civet. And I was all prepared to say, "Nope. I am scrubbing now!" But, curiosity killed the civet. So I kept on, and 30 minutes later, it doesn't smell like poop anymore. No, it now smells like bathroom lemony stuff, plus some really abhorrent oily stuff -- similar to what I remember I disliked about Macassar. But, I am so kiasu, I just had to keep wearing it, and strangely, after about an hour, it calms down into something both weirdly stanky oily and weirdly aquatic. A little powdery even. (Perhaps that's amber?) Sillage is good (if you like this sort of thing). The only other scent I know that changes this way is CDG 2 Red: Sequoia -- dirty sweaty laundry, turned into clean laundry after several hours.

And, y'know, how some people say Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather smells like cocaine? And I'm like, "Eh?" because I cannot relate. Well, some people say Kouros smells like a certain body part, and I'm not even gonna go there, because only certain people know that kind of information, and how can I possibly admit to knowing that? Katie Puckrik's description of "a sudsed-up inner thigh" comes close, but even she is being modest.

It really is not as horrible as I thought it would be. I didn't scrub. Escada Sentiment made me scrub, but Kouros was not an instant killer for me. I agree with some of the positive reviewers here that it's not a scent for everyone. It can have strong associations. Definitely try before buying. However, if one is looking for a scent that is completely unlike anything being sold at Abercrombie and Fitch or Bath & Body Works, Kouros may work for one. I am thinking it's thought of as "old" despite its name being "youth" because it is of a class of perfumes that is not generally made anymore.

Longevity is good. 'Only need a very little bit to last a very long while.

TeeTee's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Nymphéa by Il Profumo

This is a nice soft scent for jasmine lovers and can also serve as an introductory white floral scent. The jasmine overpowers all the other notes from the first spritz. They become a wee bit more present in the dry down but the jasmine remains front and center all the way. I do smell something like patchouli in the dry down. It is not a listed note so perhaps it is a result of an interaction of some of the other notes. This is not aquatic to me which might be why I am giving it a neutral lol! To me it is a nice soft floral. I do not detect any aquatic or marine facets whatsoever.

If you only enjoy white florals from a distance because you find them too much up close, you will likely enjoy this one because it has been stripped of the monstrous sillage and wears closer to the skin than most jasmine scents. It is also softer and airier which makes it less offensive than the richer, sharper and denser jasmines on the market. It has average to low sillage as noted above and the longevity is about 12+ hours on me. If I was ever in need of a lovely soft inoffensive jasmine scent, this will fit the bill :).

findtheriver's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I was going to blind buy this, I'm so glad I didn't. I was surprised how much I disliked this after reading so many positive reviews. Mostly I get a sharp syrupy grape candy smell which I couldn't wait to wash off. Many reviewers seem to have nostalgic memories attached to this fragrance but not me..I didn't even sample it until recently. No my cup of tea at all.

Schuyller's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

Scored a flacon on Friday that was 75% off at a local fragrance store here and it was only $50! Yay me! Wonderful fragrance! Too bad it's been discontinued. Close to the skin. Strong lemon notes on the opening then comes the leather and birch. Finishes with ambergris and powder to me. Longevity is only a couple of hours but a fabulous couple of hours!

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Mazzolari Mazzolari by Mazzolari

I was very keen on this a few yeras ago after sampling, but now that I have a bottle I find it unwearable. I think my growing interest in natural perfumery has made me highly sensitive to certain synthetic amplifications, and while I still enjoy Mazzolari Lui in minimal dosage (of course), this one is just too much for me. The green blast is not merely extreme, it also clogs my nostrils (as no natural oil ever has) and, worse, the combination of herbaceous and slightly minty notes actually adds up smelling like (fruity-green apple) shampoo on me, mixed with a cheap loud 70s fougère. And once it's there it just keeps screaming in my face, sort of like the horrific television monster in Aphex Twin's legendary "Come to Daddy" video (http://www.bbc.co.uk/collective/dnaimages/gallery/directordvd/2.jpg). All this from one careful spray onto my chest. Any redeeming features are drowned out in view of this nose-crippling horrorshow. Objectively I might give this a mediocre after some closer analysis, but personally I can't stand it for another minute. Pure green hell.

Late-Hit's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I've tried it many times, both vintage and new. They are different, of course, but the net effect is always the same... a 'dark' variation of the basic cologne concept, ala 4711.

Now, I like lemony colognes, but aren't there a million of 'em out there? And cheaper, too?

Well, maybe that's true, and maybe it's partly because Eau Sauvage was the first to elevate the wonder of lemon in a masculine fragrance before so many other followed along. There's been a lot of 'eau' under the bridge since 1966.

Eau Sauvage is good, but no longer great.

barclaydetolly's avatar

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

Liasons Dangereuses is all about flowery fruit. I realize there are some women's perfumes that can be worn by men (Shalimar comes to mind), but this isn't one; it's not unisex in the slightest, and borders on being cloying during its entire run. If you're an adventuresome guy, give it a try.

Colony by Jean Patou

I find it to be fairly close to vintage Mitsouko in feel - a bit musty and a soapiness that seemed to be typical for the Ma Collection of Jean Patou. I'm not terribly crazy about this one, but I find it easier to enjoy than vintage Mitsouko. Review for the EdT!

Adieu Sagesse (original) by Jean Patou

This smells a lot like sun lotion on warm skin, very soapy, indeed! I smell a lot of clove and probably carnation. If you miss a summery feel in the midst of miserable winter weather, give this a try! Nothing outstanding in my opinion! This review is for the EdT!

stefftaylor's avatar

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I grew up in the middle east, so oud is a very familiar scent to me. However, the "authentic" versions smell extremely dirty to me. Tom Ford's however, is a clean and wood, a bit sharp and mellow at the same time, and lasts many hours. I was once wearing it and a French friend told me I smelled like her "grandfather's cigar box....sans cigars". Most people would be offended - I was overjoyed. It's a non-perfumey comfort fragrance.

However, nothing tops Amber Absolute from that line....

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Jaguar (new) by Jaguar

Like all Jaguar perfumes, this is not exception, a solidly built perfume that has been done before. Nothing new, nothing that would stand out in a crowd. Slightly citric, orangy opening with some spicyness thrown in to a heart that is pleasant but not with a clearly dominant note, to end in a woody musky base, Not the best aJguar, not the worst Jaguar either. I like it and I enjoy it, but is a "office" fragrance, a fragrance you use when you do not want to be noticed.
    It is a perfume that will offend nobody, but I would not write home about it either.
    Good quality for a fair price, thumbs up!!!!

mrbinitie's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I really like it. People just keep asking what I'm wearing when I wear this. Another great Hermes fragrance in the tradition of Belami and Rocabar

Wise Owl's avatar

Crave by Calvin Klein

Very sweet and synthetic smelling, but fresh all the same. Aimed at a younger market and it is the kind of scent that will appeal to men in their teens and early twenties. Especially with the modern looking plastic bottle that will no doubt intrigue a gadget obsessed generation. Not my favourite CK scent, but a decent one all the same that can be picked up fairly cheaply.

Cerel9's avatar

Royal Water by Creed

The biggest problem with this Creed is that it is too generic smelling and some might say not worth the Creed price tag. With Creeds you expect something weird and unique e.g. SMW but this smells like oranges, mixed with sugar, maybe a little passion fruit in there and some Hawaiian punch too.

Darvant's avatar

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

A green-floral powdery light oriental, with the dominant floral notes of  hiacynth and rose and a woody-myrrh talky dry down. The final sweetness is tamed by musk and oakmoss and some animal note with its almost tart-salty undertone. The beginning is a bit citrus, green-aromatic and sour with a sparkling grapefruit waving around before the floral heart starts expressing its sophistication. The final sweetness is a sort of powdery-nutty sweet smell of sandalwood not cloying or too dense and with a floral-talky wake. I don't detect vanilla while is clear the link among amber-patchouli and wood. The patchouli enhances the distinctiveness of the juice.

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 August, 2011)

Oproust's avatar

Devin by Aramis

Devin opens with a strong blast of galbanum, which pushes the citrus top notes to the side. VERY green opening. If you don't enjoy green fragrances, this one won't change your mind. The jasmine note emerges very quickly and dominates the mid notes, creating a green floral accord that reminds me of a pleasant stroll through the historic district in Charleston, South Carolina on a spring morning. As the mid notes continue to develop, carnation and pine are noticeable and I detect a hint of cinnamon. The drydown smells like "green leather" to my nose, with a touch of patchouli and oak moss. Devin has moderate longevity on my skin, 5 - 6 hours. Devin is not a sillage monster, yet I do receive compliments when I wear it. Devin is my kind of fragrance: green, complex, evocative. Similar to a $100 bill.

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2011)

Nieci6719's avatar

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

I purchased this fragrance about a year ago to have a rotation perfume. I have now purchased Noir and my second bottle of this fragrance. It is now my signature scent. Every time I wear it I get compliments. The drydown is delightful and works with my chemistry very well. I used to think that Estee Lauder was for old people as my mother used to wear Youth Dew, but I am now a fan getting ready to purchase my third bottle.

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2011)

AnimaSola's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme Fraîcheur by Boucheron

This is reminiscent of the original, which is not good to me, with refined citrus and a ton of floral intensity thrown in. It is overdone, but not as sharp or penetrating as the original. I can see how this extroverted scent would appeal to some.

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2011)

carlos-uk's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This sure is an oddball that seems to have increasing popularity with the 50+ age range. My school friend used to where this when I was about 15 and I kind of hated it/kind of liked it. I've revisited it over the years but recently come to a greater appreciation of it.

Like Le Male by JPG, this requires 1 Spray only! Any more and you may as well be wearing a sign that says "I want a fight right now!".

I can't add anything to the many comments already made other than to reinforce my above comment that, here in the UK at least, this seems to be growing in popularity with the older generation and strangely, it kind of works.

Personally, I like it and wear it in moderation (as indicated above). It's always there for sure but in just the right way. It doesn't dominate or over exert itself, but it's there (if only 1 spray is used).

For some reason, this is what I imagine somebody stupidly rich, successful and famous to wear. Maybe it's the loud, extravagance of it?

The official pyramid:

Top Notes: Mandarin, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange Blossom.

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley, Heliotrope, Cinnamon.

Base Notes: Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Sandalwood.

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 September, 2011)

Normandie by Jean Patou

I think VintageVogue has got a point here with 'between Vol de Nuit and Arpege'. It is to my perception more chypré style than Vol de Nuit already is. However, I found the opening very reminiscent of the original Tabac Blond and a very Caron-esque vibe overall (opoponax among other notes). The drydown loses me slightly with a very soapy quality, which is so predominant in many Ma Collection fragrances. Sillage is above average right into the heart. This is a nice and enjoyable EdT, but not the most unique Patou classic.

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 November, 2011)

Cocktail by Jean Patou

When I first reviewed Cocktail I felt I had discovered an absolute winner among the Ma Collection fragrances of Jean Patou! I hugely enjoy this light-hearted citrus-fruity (honeysuckle I learn from the reviewer below) opening and its chypré notes joining in the heart. It's fizzy like a self-made Gin Fizz at a summer party, refreshing and enjoyable! Try Roja Dove's Diaghilev, which has a related vibe and feel, although slightly 'heavier' towards the drydown. However, the drydown here with the sweet and rich florals mixed with the civet creates an accord not as offensive as what Mona di Orio comes up with (Nuit Noire) but, still, I can't enjoy this. This review is for the EdT!

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 November, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Alamut by Lorenzo Villoresi

Lush, sophisticated and very feminine powdery-floral with a musky and vanillic soul, a considerable note of rosewood and an animalic-lethery undertone that tames, on the side of the musk, the sweetness of the final talky-creamy atmosphere. The final issue expresses a very floral-orangy wake taking off from a bed of woodsy amber, sandalwood and benzoin-labdanum. The note of patchouli impresses boldness and autority to a juice heavy on rosewood, osmanthus and ylang-ylang. The scent, initially a bit alcoholic, sweet and raw, turns soon in a silky-talky fluid that is a perfect shelter for the suave notes of jasmine and rose. The first hispid-metallic blast is a sort of green-floral bouquet surely glamour but classic and a bit retro with the dreamy delicacy of rose and white flowers and because of the combination of citrus, rose and patchouli. The fruity touch of orange blossom enhances the natural sweetness of this botanic opening. In a few time a sort of ambery boise viscosity starts to envelop the fruity-floral elements and to lead them towards the animalic-powdery base. The final part combines the animalism of musk, leather and sinthetic human notes with the creaminess of vanilla, benzoin and labdanum. Alamut is a great white-powdery, autoritative, feminine concoction from the great italian nose Lorenzo Villoresi. The juice is complex and expresses a long process of evolution, you need time to smell the subtle and elaborate   bliss of the final outcome. I find Alamut well balanced and fitted of the right level of natural and resinous sweetness, finally moderated in the dust by the opaque mildness of musk and leather. The wake is a white, bit milky dust of flowers and woodsy elements and is classic, bold and a bit potpourri. A respectful classy scent.

31st July, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th February, 2013)