Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

qwerty82's avatar
    qwerty82

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

A beautifully created fragrance, classy and elegant. More geared towards the 30's plus guys. I bought a 50ml bottle 2 weeks ago and although it's supposed to be an evening scent I just cannot resist wearing it to the office. The spray is easy to control so just the tiniest application for the office is sufficient. My wife loved it from the first evening I wore it. DHI starts off a little strong but the dry down is a soft, masculine and warm scent.
    I usually wear Bvlgari pour homme to the office but it hasn't been used in the last 2 weeks since I bought DHI. I will go back to Bvlgari soon though.
    This my first Dior and I am very impressed. The reputation of Dior as a fragrance house is further enhanced by this creation.

Souk by Essentially Me

Are you going to Scarborough Souk? Yes that's right, the green-herbal elements in this unisex beauty balance the balsamic-spice so as to create an English oriental, the two fragrant worlds coming together nicely in the rose, which is, after all, so quintessential to both. A pleasing alternative to the French orient smarting under the syrupy heel of that charming despot Serge Lutens.

Amber by Essentially Me

In the perfume neighbourhood, Amber is the girl next door who could be so much fun if only she wasn’t so bland, so vanilla, so boooring. And yet she insistently hangs around your house and seems impossible to ignore. Thankfully there are some people who remember it’s about sugar AND spice. Serge Lutens’ Ambre Sultan is my favorite amber because that girl got' herb. Happily, Essentially Me’s Amber is her own spice girl, too. It’s the mint and thyme in particular that raised my eyebrows and spirits. Plus an amber not totally overdosed on Ambroxan and related drugs is always a genuine relief. The end result is an interesting, masculine-tilted, but entirely unisex potion recommended to all who wish to escape the drudgery of mainstream amberdom.

La Joupe by Essentially Me

I’m afraid that under the new UK austerity policy this fragrance will soon be outlawed, as it is simply too buxom and voluptuous a floriental to be tolerated. The neroli-tuberose-jasmine-ylang axis is incredibly sexy, warm and opulent, but the naturals play out their strength here, in that the composition never descends into gaudiness. It’s Liz Taylor before the Seventies. It’s also just the right scent to seduce men, politicians included, so maybe we could reconsider that austerity bit, eh, darlings David & Nick?

White Blooms by Essentially Me

This is innocent and sexy in an intelligent manner Audrey Hepburn would have loved. Such a pleasure, also, to be smelling white blossoms rather than screechy-blaring-in-your-face “WHITE BLOSSOMS.” Like the milky bosom of a Courbet canvas compared to Hollywood’s contemporary silicon balloons, sensuous, yet tasteful.

Classique by Essentially Me

Classique - is it ever. So much so you really need to be somewhat mature, favour a conservative wardrobe and think of the Beatles as new-fangled to wear it. That soapy clove embedding florals will always remind me of the distinguished, friendly elderly ladies that doted about our neighbourhood when I was a child. A pleasing memory, but not one for me to wear.

kierroo's avatar
    kierroo
    Scotland Scotland

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

Typical Base-notes Snobs turning their noses up at another Hugo boss fragrance ?. My friend wears this alot and is his signature smell and he kept raving about this. So when we were going out before leaving his house i sprayed some on.

This really quite nice and i love the orange smell this fragrance produces, im sure a posh frag house just released something like this ummm.

I feel this is a hybrid of a evening and sport frag and i feel you could wear it all year round, i got around 5-6 hours with this fragrance a nice average length.

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Bois des Îles by Chanel

This is one Chanel that is it nearly impossible not to like. A wonderful gingerbready warm classic fragrance, and even some mini aldehydes to keep reminding you that it's Chanel. A treasure in extrait de parfum, especially!

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie

Whoever thought that Bertrand Duchafour's mastery lies within smoky orientals has obviously not tried MAGNOLIA ROMANA from Eau d'Italie. This is a beautifully rendered watery floral (as opposed to a floral aquatic) that is not only pitch-perfect but successfully conveys an Italian feel with its aromatic, herbal-citric nuances. The florals are fleshed out adequately without getting overblown, perfectly counterbalanced by the brighter elements, leaving the indoles lying just beneath the surface to sustain the intrigue.

I'd rate Magnolia Romana right up there with the best from MDCI and Kurkdjian. I'd wear it in a heartbeat even if it does veer towards the classical dandy side of unisex.

Notes from Luckyscent:
    purple basil, lemon leaves, neroli, nutmeg, cypress, magnolia, Bulgarian rose, tuberose, lotus, ozone, aquatic notes, cedar, hay extract, white musk

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

Organza by Givenchy

l tried this only recently, & bought a bottle just a couple of weeks later, because it is just the kind of ambery floral that l like. lt holds a position in my wardrobe right next to YSL's Cinema, in the way that it feels both classy & comforting, & fits those evenings that are neither too warm for an amber, nor too cold for a floral.
    l get honeysuckle in the opening, a note l love, followed by jasmine, & something creamy, nutty & woody, perhaps the nutmeg. The amber becomes detectable after about 15 minutes, & after 90 minutes there's a soft, warm vanilla. lt projects well for 2 hours or so, after which it settles closer to the skin, but the lasting power is good.
    There are moments when this reminds me of both Allure, (my BF loves Allure, & pronounced this one "quite nice", which is a major compliment from him!) & a softer Alien (at the point where the amber joins with the jasmine).
    Overall a very attractive fragrance, in a beautiful, Greek goddess-like bottle!

teardrop's avatar
    teardrop
    England England

Eden by Cacharel

lt's difficult for me to pick out notes in this unusual fragrance; it simply smells green, leafy & floral to my nose, with perhaps an aquatic hint of waterlily or reeds. lt's quite linear for most of it's duration on me, which is an outstanding 8-9 hours, & then deep in the base l get a subtle sandalwood, which l like, but isn't enough to make me love it. One spray gave off immense sillage.
    This is not my kind of fragrance; it feels too cold & green for me, & l've no idea when l'd wear it. l'm very impressed with the sillage & longevity, though, so if this sounds like your cup of tea, l recommend you give it a try.

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

No, there's nothing ground breaking here. And yet this strikes a chord in me. Every summer season I find myself nostaligically longing for the times I've spent in my tropical homeland, Hawaii, and this, this SATISFIES me. I love it. Normally intolerant to anything un-french or un-chypre, sometimes this girl just needs something sweet, tropical, and incense-y in the dog-heat of summer and this is the one I turn to. Sophistication be damned in 89% humidity - I need something that transports me to tropical paradise. Monyette Paris oil is something I will revisit every summer. The perfect compliment to your beachy un-done hair, rumpled linen garb, and sun-bronzed skin.

Tabacca by Costamor

My first thought: oh num. Second thought: Lolita Lempicka. Sadly, I never was able to move off the second thought. On my skin this smelled exactly like LL, perhaps a higher quality version. Yummy, but rather a tired theme. Exhausted really. Guess I never realized that what i liked in LL was tobacco. . .

Pass.

Elixir by Penhaligon's

Oh goodness. Gag. This was one of the few that I had to scrub nearly immediately after applying. A semi-competent, if generic, oriental lurking below a bile-conjuring sour soy-milk note. Revolting. Thank god for samples. I see other people find this agreeable so there must be something that just does not play nice with my chemistry.

SlimWhiteAnimal's avatar
    SlimWhiteAnimal

Jicky by Guerlain

Starts out with a disgusting civet note which is quickly tamed but still manages to provide a warm, dirty counterpoint to an otherwise fresh scrubbed fragrance of lavender, citrus, and soapy leather.

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Nautica Classic by Nautica

The first whiff of bitter citrus, dry fruits, spices and grass is a fist on your stomach, a firce lemony and grassy blast too much harsh, durable and alcoholic to be tollerated by many. In a second phase a sort of woodsy and deeply floral softness tames the bitterness in a sort of ambery-musky slightly pungent smell with an hint of aromatic feel and acidity that reminds the breeze of the sea. The heavy usage of aldehydes imprints an airy temperament to the juice. Unfortunately it smells too synthetic and the faint wake lasts just for a while.

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I can't say much about this orange earthy woody scent that has not already been said by hundreds of others... I love, love, LOVE Terre d'Hermes! Extremely well-made, long-lasting and superb smelling scent. This one is highly recommended to all. It really *is* that good. Believe the hype and add it to your collection tout suite. Just for reference, the edt appears to have better sillage than the pure perfume, but the pure perfume is a bit more refined. Either one is an excellent choice and I wear them both (edt during the Spring and Summer, and the pp during the Fall and Winter). 4.5+ stars out of 5.

03 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 December, 2012)

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Eau de Santal by Floris

Eau de Santal is a creamy sweet woody blend with peppercorn and sandalwood notes. I find this one not having too many notes outright stand out, instead just mixing perfectly with one another. Sillage is pretty good in my experience, as is longevity. Very nice overall scent and the aftershave splash version is an excellent complement to the cologne. Just as an aside, this smells nearly identical to the Extreme version, so if you liked one, you almost certainly will like the other... they both have tremendous longevity on my skin. One of my favorites from the house of Floris, Eau de Santal earns an excellent 4 stars out of 5.

03 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 January, 2013)

E Claiborne's avatar
    E Claiborne

Intrusion by Oscar de la Renta

I came across Intrusion in a discount clothing/accessories store in 2004. I tried the tester, liked it very much and then found a 3 oz. bottle I felt sure was underpriced at $10.99 USD. It is airy and appealing to me, and I wear it every day spring through summer and always get compliments. Unfortunately it is a little thin, lasting only about 4 hours, and all I can find are 1 oz. refills.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Maxims pour Homme by Maxims

A slightly floral, slightly powdery, somewhat sweet blend (with a hint of spice) that dances around a pile of wood. That's mostly what I get (leaving aside top notes, which I try to avoid). I'm not getting any appreciable leather, patchouli, or oakmoss. Those who seek the kind of sandalwood note you get in a lot of "men's" fragrances from the 1970s and 80s might like this one, but I'm not a huge fan of it. If I didn't have others like it, I'd go ahead and try to grab a bottle cheaply. However, since I do, I will just keep my mini bottle of this one and be content. Longevity is very good and projection/"sillage" is just right. I'll rate it positive because I think it will satisfy those who seek this kind of fragrance.

I'm wondering if there was more than one formulation, because unlike some of the other reviews, I don't understand how this can be compared to Grey Flannel or Havana (there's not even a hint of tobacco). Nor is there an animalic element, leathery or otherwise. Vintage Woodhue Cologne for Men has a similar woody drydown, but I like its first couple hours better. I found a list of notes for it over at fragrantica.com, which is not identical to the one above: "...bergamot, lavender, lemon, clary sage and carnation. The heart features jasmine, rose, cedar, sandalwood, clove, and amber, while the base consists of oak moss, patchouli, cedar, vanilla, musk and leather."

StylinLA's avatar
    StylinLA

Extract of West Indian Limes by Geo F Trumper

A magnificent burst of lime for sure. But enjoy the opening cause there is no close. Or a middle.
    Maybe an hour of lime paradise. Then...

I'll go neutral out of respect for great opening.

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

It's fruity fresh with a lovely violet accord running through it's composition. As a affordable fragrance this one hits all the right notes and I am glad I managed to get myself a small bottle. A simple delight.

Rose Barbare by Guerlain

What bothers me about some fragrances on this Guerlain line is the lack of link with either the note proposed or the artistical idea they supposed to evoke. Cruel Gardenia, for instance, it`s beautiful, but has very little of the complex and difficult to work with aroma of Gardenias. Angelique Noire is just ok, a flowery vanillic thing that could work if love addict but find it unwearable. Rose Barbare, on the other side, doesn`t seem distant from the Rose idea and it`s not a better worked version of a mainstream fragrance idea. But, as an artistical rose fragrance, it fails to evoke me love. I like it, it`s a good quality rose soliflore with just a hint of aldehydes, a good control of the bitter side of rose and a slight liqueur honeyed aura. But it stops here, doesn`t explore any other rose sides and doesn`t take advantage of the talented Francis Kurkdijian to extract much more of the rose than just a pretty slightly dark face. Idylle Duet does almost everything that this one does, but intenser and more complex. In a section where you have tons of rose fragrances, Rose Barbare doesn`t stand out and doesn`t seems up to the price charged on it.

Angelique Noire by Guerlain

This one reminds me a lot of Dior Addict. Angelique Noir doesn`t have your usual powdery, smoky, creamy vanilla signature of the house, but more of the milky, sugared one that you find in Addict matched with a powerful amber and an intense white flowery accord. Here the Angelique note gives a less intense floral aroma, that seems closer to a sweeter orchid sometimes. The floral part also has a powdery nuance, that gets lost here on the oriental vanilla main theme. There is a salty, peppery touch that is more or less evident during the evolution on skin. It`s one of my least favorites from this line, a luxury scent in a kind of faceless way.

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

Bois d`Armenie has a misterious aura of incense, benjoin and spices and it`s my favorite of the line. You would expect it to be an intense incensed fragrance, but it projects like an aura of a scent that seems to come from your skin, not like a fragrance you are wearing. The Benjoin has a soft smoky aroma of subtle vanillic nuances, and it`s beautifully joined by pepper aromas and a dry powder aroma, a kind of signature in this Guerlain`s line. Gradually you start to detect dry woods, and sometimes i catch a note that seems to me like a discreet leathery one. It ends out in that dry, woody, slightly musky aroma. If i would pick just one from this line, it`d be it. It`s a scent that still amazes after two years wearing it ocasionally

Iris Ganache by Guerlain

The sweetest and most intense of the line, Iris Ganache is one where the main note and the theme is clear from the beginning until the end. The Iris here has an aroma that makes me think of cake dough, exactly like the one on Comme des Garcons Sticky Cake. It`s an Iris dipped in creamy chocolate and in a sweet violet-heliotropin accord. The combination of notes makes you think sometimes in an intenser Apres L`Ondee and sometimes in a less agressive Insolence. Beautiful scent, but quite hard to wear if you don`t enjoy sweet fragrances. Leaves an intensive trail, so be careful when applying it...

Cuir Beluga by Guerlain

Like Cruel Gardenia, Cuir Beluga seems to use the main note just as an excuse for a luxury smooth fragrance. This line seem to have a powdery secondary theme on most of the fragrances, and on Cuir Beluga this is showed by a vanillic sweet flower aroma that only shows a hint of leather sometimes; it`s not your classic, dry leather, it`s more of a suede accord that stays on the background of the sweet flowers and powdery ambered vanilla. Cuir Beluga, in some aspects, seems to be a homage to Shalimar, and it`s a pleasant scent to be worn on a winter day.

Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain

The fragrance name simply doesn`t reflect it at all. Cruel gardenia is not a dark or difficult gardenia fragrance; instead, it`s a sunny powdery floral bouquet where the ligth aspect of gardenia flowers is hidden inside of it. You get at first the impression of citrus flowers, then a non indolic powdery white flower bouquet, and this sings on the skin for quite a long time. When i was not expecting gardenia anymore, i could detect it emerging from the powdery bouquet, a slightly sweet and fruity gardenia, similar to the one in Chinatown (altough Chinatown and Cruel Gardenia doesn`t have so much in common). The scent fades to a soft musky vanillic drydown and stays there the rest of the day. It doesn`t seem so linked with the idea of the line, but it`s a pretty lasting powdery scent with a touch of gardenia, and maybe this is the only cruelty of the fragrance, not using more gardenia.

Idylle Duet by Guerlain

Idylle Duet it`s an intenser rose version of the original idylle idea of a modern musky chypre bouquet. It makes me think of Rose Barbare, but better worked, with the base that is lacking on Rose Barbare. Duet has a rose bouquet which is halway modern interpretations and vintage versions, haveing a slightly link to the complex abstract and warm rose of Nahéma. The Rose here has the liqueur aspect intensified by the camphor aspect of patchouli, which creates a sweet woody base that lets rose sing forever on the skin. It`s smooth, complex, intense and longlasting, and i wished it was a permanent fragrance, not only a liimited edition.

Ralph's avatar
    Ralph

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I yearn for frags that you just put on in the morning and they smell good all day long. Not many of 'em actually do this but Ambre Sultan - oh yes! - delivers in spades. It's beautiful too: a superb, deep & delicious moody herbal-amber wonder.