Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

kruemel952's avatar

Germany Germany

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Very deep and rich fruit, pepper and vanilla scent. It's the best Lacoste I've smelled so far and it's one of my favorites of all time.
    Excellent projection and longevity on me.
    If it's a bit colder you can wear this anytime. Relatively safe, but different as well! :)

LOVE IT!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

You've got to hand it to the Italians. They not only come up with the perfect set of complimentary notes to showcase the citrus but also fine-tune the combination to a level that is seldom encountered elsewhere in modern perfumery. UOMO is no different with its sparkling citrus-herbal opening, spicy aromatic heart and a smooth mossy drydown. Very Mediterranean. Longevity could always be better but as long as it breathes, it wears as sharply as an Italian suit. Why lament the reformulation of Chanel Pour Monsieur when you can always wear this 1993 classic?

Notes:
    bergamot, petitgrain, laurel, lemon, orange, coriander, lavender, elemi, neroli, sage, juniper, clove, pepper, thyme, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, cedarwood, rosemary.

teardrop's avatar

England England

Brasil Dream by Estée Lauder

The opening is bright & effervescent; not really fruity to my nose, but with just enough neroli to give it an edge. The floral notes quickly take over, & although l can't pick them out individually, the jasmine & gardenia combine to create a creamy, classically tropical accord, along with the coconut milk. At this stage it could possibly be cloying if overapplied, but after continuing in this vein for a couple of hours, it slowly becomes softer & creamier, fading out after 5 hours or so.
    I wouldn't call this a "poor girl's Tuberose Gardenia"; it's fun & flirty, casual & playful, where TG is more serious, beautiful, elegant & refined. I love TG, but save it for holidays & special occasions. Brasil Dream is the one l wear whenever l need that "mood lift" Mimi described.

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Unfortunately, this smells on my skin like a strong female perfume with just a hint of vetiver, which is mainly lost in the clouds. One coworker told me I smelled nice, then asked (hesitantly) if I was wearing women's perfume.

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2011)

rickbr's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Coromandel by Chanel

It`s hard to find exactly what i dislike here, but Coromandel is a composition that doesn`t create me comfort or makes me feel elegant or sexy or pleases me. On skin, there`s something between the patchouli and amber that should be like music but instead it`s like nails on blackboard. The earthy, powdery and complex aura of patchouli gets ruined by a wrong amber and i feel frustrated and peeved everytime i wear it. The rose and vanilla doesn`t help to mask or harmonize the main idea. The rose, specially, creates a plastic impression with the amber that seems to go in and out of focus, just like an annyoing note poking the nose.
    I prefer other variations of this idea - for a luxury, outrageously expensive one, Richwood does the service much better creating a smooth evolution, keeping the structure and avoiding the amber common place. Zino Davidoff is very close to Coromandel, but uses the amber with more wisdom. And you also have the dark, bitter chocolate patchouly version on Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens. It`s a good luxury addition to the les exclusif line and one that it`s adherent with the austere fragrant vision of vintage chanels. But it has a lapse of judgment for me in the choose of the base note. I decided to wear it again after an year to see if i changed my mind on this one, but honestly i don`t miss it and i think that i`ll not miss its smell soon.

EDIT: After 5 hours the amber aspect faded away and i got a base of a skincent vanillic aroma of subtle incense nuances. It`s quite pleasant, but discomfort with the first 5 hours is enough to keep me away of wearing it. Since those impressions will rely of your scensibility to what is used in the fragrance, you may have a very different experience, maybe much more pleasant, than mine.

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 July, 2011)

spice's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Went to the public restroom to wash it off worried I might leave smelling more of it than when I arrived, felt a little bit like a victim of a cruel prank.

A benchmark, only for the very brave.

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2011)

suburbanites's avatar

Cooper Square by Bond No. 9

I've finally had the opportunity to give Cooper Square a thorough opportunity to sample and write a more comprehensive review. After sampling through much of the Bond No. 9 collection and narrowing down through several other choices, I narrowed to New York Oud and Cooper Square.

When I finally got to Cooper Square on skin, I thought to myself "I'm having an 80's flashback, but can't put my finger on it." A few minutes later, I realized the olfactory flashback I'd had: I'm smelling "Calvin" by Calvin Klein, circa 1981. Vividly, this was as close as I'd dare come, only in a Bond in EDP strength. Save for minor differences, the combination of woods, patchouli, musk and vetiver were as vivid as I recalled, slight updates with a few changes in the more inert ingredients. The cognac wasn't as present as I'd detected in the past.

Did I dislike it? somewhat. The promise of sharp cognac and other ingredients didn't quit deliver the goods in a way that stood apart from that Calvin moment. Moreover, the ending after several hours dries less into a subtle musk and more into a very sharp and green vetiver that seems more forced than a natural combination. The result is a very expensive impression of a Big-80's stalwart.

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2011)

Trauerkraut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

Fresh start: orange, short and nothing new...and then this thousand in a dozen, cedar dominated, überboring drydown! Only for uncurable Boss addicts!

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

One of the few compositions in the Lutens range that doesn't make me fall to the ground for the excessive sweetness. Don't get me wrong, Daim Blond is definitely a SWEET fragrance but it's incredibly balanced to never become cloying or too rich. A very wearable fruity (apricot) and canvas (read soft leather) composition with woody hints on a musky base. Not too far from Armani's Cuir Amethiste but way much better executed. In the same vein I still prefer Cuir Ottoman but if you're a fan of Lutens you won't be disappointed.

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

tdwctdwc's avatar

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

The way i would describe this scent : Sliced oranges covered lightly with chocolate, along with an open bag of coffee following you around ( not too close , not too far, just soothing and comforting ).

And the dry down on this is simply mouth watering .

Gourmands lovers, you do NOT wanna pass on this !

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

This is possibly the most popular creation in the Montale's range and, honestly, it deserves its status. One of the best masculine rose/oud combos around.

Black Aoud is basically all about rose and oud but it's far from being simplicistic or even bone-dry. Two of the most luxurious elements orchestrated to create an incredibly rich, complex, dark and compelling composition that while resulting extremely elegant, it's everything but mannered or affected. Wild, incisive and assertive just like a Lucio Fontana's painting: several cuts on canvas.

On skin, Black Aoud opens with a "scratchy" mix of extremely medicinal oud and a luxurious rose note that is one of the most interesting thing happened in contemporary perfumery and stays linear for almost 10 hrs (yes). It then starts to evolve introducing patchouli and hints of animalic leather while a resinous / musky base remarks its presence. With its incredible power, it projects for yards and lasts more than 24 hours. One spray on your neck and, believe me, you're done for the whole day. In this context Black Aoud it's not simply a purchase, it's more like an investment as a 100ml bottle is gonna last for your whole life. A head turner...Go ahead.

One more thing: to properly appreciate Black Aoud you have to say YES or NO, BLACK or WHITE as it leaves no room for "MAYBE" or "GREY"...

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2012)

odysseusm's avatar

Skarb by Humiecki & Graef

Update:
    Notes from H&G site: lovage, absinth, Roman chamomile, barley extract, frankincense, myrrh, musk
    I fail to see what the fuss is here. This is a a green, hay-like scent. It is dusky, dry, cool, with notes of chamomile and mint. There is a bit of toasted grain from the barley. I don't find anything weird or unpleasant here. My only reservation is that I find no incense here, neither frankincense nor myrrh. But a decent scent. Perhaps not outstanding but worth checking out for green fans.
    --- First review below:
    I see that this scent has generated some quite negative reviews. I like it, and I’ll explain why. First, I like green scents and for me this definitely has lots of green notes. Second, I have a quirky affection for medicinal scents, and this one (by design) has notes of a medicinal sort. Third, despite some traces of sweetness I don’t really find this to be a sweet scent – it is not heavy or ‘thick’. And fourth, the dry-down seems really attractive and satisfying to me.
    Some of the controversy may be due to the ingredients. These are distinctive and may not be everybody’s cup of tea. But in my opinion the scent presents the notes faithfully and well. If some people don’t like the scent then it may simply be that these particular notes don’t suit the person. The same could be said of vanilla to my taste – I can’t stand the stuff.
    The barley extract and chamomile probably are responsible for the somewhat sweet, hay-mint note. The absinthe (wormwood) contributes a bitter, powerfully pungent and herbaceous note which is medicinal. The myrtle has its typical spicy-peppery green note. Researching lovage, I see that it is like a combination of celery leaf, angelica and oakmoss. Those notes are exactly what I find here. The myrrh is very soft and contributes a somewhat soapy aspect.
    Some have complained that the scent is linear – that it is all up-front and does not develop. I don’t find that to be the case. I see a subtle development, from a rather substantial dusky-green scent to one of a gentle, mossy sort. I would say this is a scent for green lovers primarily. Others may find it a bit unusual – I like it a lot.

04 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 01st November, 2012)

anotherlemontree's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I understand the commotion this scent has caused: it stands totally apart from any fragrance I've ever smelled, for better and for worse.

I get the semen accord when I sniff this straight from my wrist, on a background of faint unsweetened florals and an excellent salty note that zings my nose (I do love a good salt note). I happen to quite like that. In fact the "accord of jizz" is something I detect (or hallucinate? who knows) in a handful of other scents including FlowerbyKenzo, Le Male, and is related to an aspect of musk which also reminds me of freshly laundered bedsheets.

Rising up from here is a seaweed/bilge note that I find fascinating and nauseating by turn - I suspect it's the combination of this note and a strong milky-metallic accord that gives the "blood" accord that so many detect. Like one of those optical illusions where you see two different pictures alternately, Secretions Magnifiques can smell like saliva and blood or a watery floral impressionistic scene...

At a distance, the fragrance that emanates is much less repellant and actually quite wonderful - an ethereal mist of seawater and faint flowers. And mercifully, this is the effect that dominates the drydown.

Still not a normal scent, still seriously weird, but really quite delightful. Like a pointillist painting, stepping back makes the picture cohesive, whilst examination up close uncovers the strange components that make up the whole.

I agree with others that this is an experimental piece, but I must add that I think it IS wearable. The interest of this scent is worth the brief up-close spells of milk/metal/bilge-induced nausea. The bravery of ELdO makes me smile, as does wearing this strange scent-artwork.

Darvant's avatar

Axe Dark Temptation / Lynx Dark Temptation by Axe / Lynx

A dark and spicy chocolatey patchouli with some dry fruits and herbs in composition. I perceive a touch of vetiver in the dry down. Not bad to be a body deodorant, the chemical feel is tollerable, the complexity is minimal while a touch of freshness is able to survive.

Outrageous! by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The name of this is Outrageous? Why? Possibly because of the price. It smelled like a nice generic citrus (like lemon) cologne, with some other nice spice notes, but I just kept waiting for the Oitrageous to kick in...maybe that comes when you get to the cash register. You can skip this, unless you love the bottle or something.

Bolt of Lightning by JAR

The SA at Bergdorf's was so generous with his time and attention (I spent over an hour there), and the fragrance wears like a crown of tuberose. There are worse things you could do with $875, but, obviously, there are many better things. If you buy this, buy this because you love it, and wear it for yourself, not to impress anyone. A memorable tuberose. I am haunted by this one a bit...in a good way.

awesomeness's avatar

Iceberg (original) by Iceberg

Opens sour on me. The florals are far too shy, and it dries down to a typical musk about 2 hours out. There are far better things available on the market, even at this price.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

L'Heure Bleue is a treasure from Paris during La Belle Epoque that pre-dates penicillin.
    It's simple magic it will lure you back to a different time, at once less complex but somehow more sophisticated, where you can relax and dream. It is, however, Perfume with a capital P, and has a take no prisoners sort of feel. I found it familiar somehow, even on the first smelling.
    If you are open to it's magic, you may like it. Maybe even love it.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

This is a perfect "first cologne" for any young man -- it's light, fresh, and has a vaguely apple accord to it. I wore it when I was younger, and though my tastes have changed, I still occasionally spray it on when I'm out on the weekends. It's probably too simple to be any basenoter's favorite, but you could do much, much worse.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Whoever said this is "citrus plus the gas station" got it spot on. I just don't like it at all. I can't imagine why this is so popular; perhaps it's the D&G name.

unklemoses's avatar

Gillette Cool Wave by Gillette Series

I got this one recently, and I love it doubtlessly. It really smells kind of 80's and I love this aspect to it too, because it makes me feel I own classy stuff that can stand the test of time.For a cost of less then 10$ I got an aftershave cologne and a deo-spray, and I have to admit that the deo-spray smells in slightly different way - it's milder and more airy, less mossy and leathery. I would compare the difference between cologne and deo-spray to the difference between cigarette smoke breathed in strictly from the cigarette (which I hate) and that kind of smell of fairly air-diluted smoke coming to your room from the outside, which I find really delightful.
    Overtones go away pretty quickly - in two hours it seems to be hardly detected from the distance of half a meter, but the drydown stays for ages on my skin..By the way, deo-spray is more durable. I wish I could have a shower gel to get a full hygeine regime, but it's not available anywhere around so far.. Anyway, it's trully masculine and mature scent, which I indulge in with great pleasure. thumbs up totally.

ps: I only wish the bottle was the same it was back in 90's :)

Ungaro I by Ungaro

The Baron de Charlus once told me: "It has been some years since last I sampled Ungaro I, but I am left with an indelible impression of mature, almost rotting fruits, a whiff of delicate potpourri, damp castle dungeons, and an elderly Duke's undergarments - ancient body odour too long confined by the warmth of a velvet chair. I believe that my friend Naed Nitram has declared the much less famed Vendetta to be the perfume that Ungaro I could have been, should have been, and I concur. Indeed, I believe that I actually gave my bottle of Ungaro I away to my valet, thinking to myself: unusual, faintly poetic and slightly obnoxious as you are, when shall I ever wear you again? (In spite of this, how I admire the masterly review of this scent by the admirable Scentemental)."

Ungaro II by Ungaro

The Baron de Charlus once told me: "My undisputed favourite from the House of Ungaro, Ungaro II never fails to conjure a painting by Watteau: an aristocratic whirl of dancers in a lush and leafy glade, more than a little decadent and effete. Having obviously learned some of its dance steps from Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur, the secret with Ungaro II, if one is not to be overwhelmed by civet, is to apply it very lightly, very slightly. Then it can be a thing of glory: sweet lavender and lemon melting into a warm and golden glow. But apply too much and it becomes oversweet and sickly. Less medieval and strange than Ungaro I, Ungaro II is also far superior to the rather ordinary fruits of Ungaro III."

Bel Ami by Hermès

Much loved by The-odor (where is that great early Basenotes reviewer now, from whom I learned so much?), less loved by a reviewer from another site, who likened it to the guts of a squashed squirrel, baking in the roadside sun, I can see why Bel Ami divides opinion. Mellow juice of golden-brown, but with a definite undercurrent, speaking of deeper, dirtier things - it's certainly unique.
    If you can forget those ugly rumours, it's smooth and distinguished, to be sure.

Vétiver Dry by Carven

The Baron de Charlus once told me: "Curiously enough, it was on a motoring tour of the Appalachian Mountains that i first encountered Carven Vetiver Dry, the rarely seen cousin of Carven Vetiver, at one or two removes.
    Pausing for refreshment at a rundown store, apparently on the road to nowhere in particular, the owner, an elderly hillbilly with scarcely any teeth and faintly inbred attributes, made me the following proposition:
    'Wellhyar'syersquirrelncolanahkinsellyersumpuntorelieveyersweatnstink. FellerleftacrateofthishyarVetiverDrymebbetwennyyargonebutnaryabodyroundhyarabouts'lltouchun. Figgermebbeyoubeinadoodyboyandfurrinwouldpreciatehermore. It'llhahdyersweatnstinknmebbepleasureyerdemoiselle. Yuhkinhevherferfowahdollar. Yuhkinsniffherfirstifyerinclined.'
    'My dear sir,' I responded, inhaling deeply of the Carven Vetiver Dry, 'while I grant you that this scent does indeed improve on the aroma of squirrel and cola, I nevertheless feel that, compared to its far more distinguished cousin, Carven Vetiver, it is somewhat lacking. In spite of being called Vetiver Dry, it strikes me as altogether more bland, conventional and mellow than its illustrious cousin. Whilst the kinship is quite evident, what Carven Vetiver Dry lacks is the way that the acrid quality of Carven Vetiver matures to such a splendid note of pure distinction on the skin. Compared to that, Vetiver Dry, rather like your good self, seems slightly toothless and a trifle inbred, lacking that acrid, luxurious vigour. Nevertheless, I grant you that, compared to most of the perfumes that are being forced up our nostrils nowadays, Carven Vetiver Dry is a fine scent. I grant it my qualified approval.'
    'Figgeredyuh'dlikeun. Thet'llbefowahdollar.'"

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

An ancient rose, filtered through grey gauze. Sober enough, and abstract, but pervaded by a stuffy Victorian sweetness. A gathering of diplomats on the lawn of an old chateau. An elderly aristocrat reading metaphysics in his paneled library. A hint of realms beyond. A smell of the grave almost. Distinguished and immaculate, but is it my imagination tells me that a bottle of this scent, presented to me in the 1980s by a certain Monsieur Suleiman, had much more depth and authority, but lacked that deathbed touch of sickly rose?

JackTwist's avatar

Ginger Pear by Illuminum

The Emperor's New Cologne - not only is there no ginger, no pear, there's "nothing." This is a scentless cologne - one could get the same effect by splashing vodka about one's neck and arms.

My favorite combination of natural scents and flavors had me looking forward to this immensely. The sample is directly from Illuminum, so has not been tampered with.

I asked friends also if they could detect anything at all and everyone came up with "zero."

Something must have gone amiss with the manufacture of this item - better to name it "Pure Air" as that is all my nose or those of my friends can detect.

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Boss Bottled is quite often mentioned in the forum as being an extremely sexy fragrance for men and adored by many women.

Of course I was very eager to try it. Boss Bottled is an extremely pleasant and likable fragrance. Even the sales assistant was quick to agree and state that this fragrance was by far her favourite men's cologne.

I won't go so far as to say it's my favourite, however I do like it, very much.

Although it is primarily spicy, citrusy and a little sweet, Boss Bottled smells very refreshing and clean to my nose. The scent is masculine, however I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a woman wearing this fragrance.

Although the notes listed as part of the composition look promisingly unique, I can't say that it's very different from anything else. Overall, Boss Bottled is a pleasantly wearable fragrance with only a subtle hint of sexiness.

The lasting strength is quite good, the sillage being rather intimate and inoffensive. Personally I enjoy this fragrance from afar and up close. The spicy-woodsy quality is truly enchanting in a sense and the muskiness of the drydown makes this fragrance quite natural smelling. In my opinion, this fragrance should be an essential part of any man's fragrance wardrobe. It's a great go-to scent.

Tocade by Rochas

The first time I smelt Tocade was from the bottle, and let me tell you it was not a pleasant experience. My first impression was that it smelt strong and medicinal, not at all sweet or feminine. A friend of mine sent me a decant of Tocade a few months ago and it took me this long to be game enough to try it on the skin.

How glad I am that I gave this fragrance a chance. On the skin, Tocade becomes a warm and powdery vanilla, soft and delicate.

I find similarities between this fragrance, Hypnotic Poison by Dior and L'eau par Kenzo eau Indigo, which I love.

Tocade's baby-powdery softness is surprisingly light and clean on the skin. The loud, outrageous bottle design and the dark, richness of the liquid seemed to suggest otherwise. The word pretty actually comes to mind as I smell this wonderous fragrance.

It's difficult to pinpoint any particular notes in Tocade, they all seem to blend together quite well. Obviously the vanilla is the most dominant note, however I guess there are subtle hints of the white florals and patchouli every now and then.

The drydown is lovely; musky woods and creamy vanilla. The sillage is actually very intimate so this is not a fragrance sure to offend anyone. On that point however, I do wish that the scent was that little bit stronger. I wanted to share the scent with the people around me.

Bellissima by Blumarine

I've noticed that many reviews liken Bellissima to other scents on the market. On my skin this fragrance does not smell like Ralph Lauren's Romance, D&G The One or L'eau The One. Instead it smells like an exact copy of Moschino's Funny!

From the sharp, citrusy opening of orange, to the rich peony heart and the musky base, the similarities to Funny! are either intentional or a pure coincidence. With that being said, I'd classify Bellissima as a fruity floral.

The scent is very refreshing and Summery, however I do wish that there were more floral notes here, I want to smell the passion flower note badly.

I don't get much in the way of sweetness here, so perhaps that is a fault of my skin chemistry rather than the scent itself.

I just haven't come to terms with how similar Funny! and Bellissima are. I can only wish that I still had a drop left of Funny! so I could compare the two on either wrist.

I applied Bellissima to a piece of paper where I could clearly smell a sweetened, candy-like raspberry note which does remind me of The One in some instances. However I can not detect this note on my own skin.

Unfortunately I'm disappointed by Bellissima, since I had expected something a little different and more floral. However as a substitute for Moschino's Funny! I'm not all that disappointed.