Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

JackTwist's avatar

Eau de Cologne by Penhaligon's

I get a strong splash of mandarin, then it quickly fades to a very light citrus, then to nothing. I compared it to both 4711 (1792) and Trumper's Eau de Cologne. Trumper's has a slight edge over 4711, in that it seems to have a bit of rose in there that gives it that extra boost of sophistication and Trumper's lasts longer than either 1792 or Penhaligon's (1927).

One has to ask oneself why pay $130 for a bottle of Penhaligon's when one can get a finer version from Trumper for $90 and double the amount of 4711 for $50.

I can't comprehend why Penhaligon's revived this one. It's "okay" but its competitors have it beat by a mile in terms of longetivity and price.

05 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2011)

JackTwist's avatar

Cornubia by Penhaligon's

The other reviewers on this page have obviously smelled something totally different than what arrived in my sample- directly from Penhaligon's. I got a reedy, tweedy dry blast and then nothing for an hour, finally resolving itself into a warm, vanilla musk, but no florals at all.

Their Artemesia seems to have been copied somewhat for Cornubia. The same reedy, woody initial scent, then warm vanillas and musks.

Nothing outstanding and too much like the earlier scent to be distinguished.

05 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2011)

alfarom's avatar

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

In my opinion this is one of the most disappointing releases by the guys at ELDO. I can't say that this composition is completely unsuccessful but it's definitely way too sweet. Divin'Enfant opens with an interesting accord of coffee and orange blossoms that while it's pretty strident it still has some charme. It could do great on the A*Men / Angel / Lolita Lempicka axis if just it didn't suddendly evolve into a generic woody ambery drydown of very little interest. If you like overwhelming sweetness in your fragrance you could enjoy this, but let me tell you that you can have plenty of better options at half the price

05 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

cello's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

The opening tart lemon is a wonderful, clear and realistic rendition. Penhaligon's excels at these citrus notes, so that was not a surprise. It is joined by a smooth lavender which makes this opening a delight.
    The pine that presents is not a sharp pine and is surrounded by an herbal greenness that give a slight musty sheen. It is very natural smelling, like a walk through a forest - no one note standing out, but a mixture of smells.
    It is a simple fragrance, as I am sure it was always meant to be. Refined and straightforward. This smells very nice and would make a great office scent for the right gentleman.

05 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a gentle kind of aoud so far from some appalling Montale (Aoud Lime, Steam Aoud, Black Aoud and above all the new infernal Dark Aoud) or from the misty Nasomatto or Durbano. The first slightly citrusy and aromatic trait reminds me a sort of smoky and bitter Etro's Heliotriope. In this phase is immediately detectable a wonderful rooty agarwood that is smoky, bit medicinal, incensey and mild of fruits and amber. The last starts to project its effects from the base smoothing the dustiness of the rooty aoud. In a second final phase the fragrance, while preserving its bit smokey-incensed-rooty trait, becomes a smooth and soft ambery-woodsy juice mild of orange and tasty because of the usage of balsams. I detect some nutmeg, cinnamon and bilberries in the final cloud but may be is just an impression. This one is a winner on the market and is very appealing among the ladies. M7 deserves a fair consideration and i do even if i'm more easily attracted by the dreadful or really vintage and fusty (Incense Oud, Pure Oud Kilian, Shams Memo) kinds of aoud fragrances.

05 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2012)

teardrop's avatar

England England

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss by Estée Lauder

l'm surprised & delighted to have found a chypre that it seems l can wear! Galbanum is usually a difficult note for me, but here it is done with a light hand, & along with a nice, dry oakmoss it gives an elegant crispness to the top notes. ln the heart is a very pretty, clean jasmine, which projects & lasts for several hours before softly fading. Very refreshing on a summer's day.
    This fragrance deserves it's place alongside the other two in the Private Collection series, which l also love, & l would seriously consider a bottle of this.
    lf, like me, you find most of the classic chypres too challenging, give this modern version a shot, you might just love it too.

05 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 February, 2012)

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I love the idea of VIW, and enjoy nearly every note in its pyramid. But on me the lime is so overpowering and sharp that it wrestles all the other, more subtle notes into submission. If the lime was about half as strong, I'd probably like it. One other negative: it has below average longevity, though the lime projects well while it lasts.

Update: Damn Creed batch variations. The previous paragraph was based on a 2008 or 2009 bottle. I tried it again, and my new batch came from 2010. It's fantastic! The lime is much more subtle, and I love this scent for weekends and hot days.

Originally a thumbs down, now a thumbs up.

05 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2012)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I didn't like Terre d'Hermes on first application. Within a few hours, I liked it a lot more, though now I'm pretty neutral towards it. Apart from the sweetness, it's vaguely citrusy, but not too much; vaguely peppery, just a little; vaguely dirty/woody, but not offputtingly so. My girlfriend told me I smelled like I had been lying on the leafy ground in an orange and grapefruit tree forest. She meant that in a good way, I think. Remember, too, that this one comes in an EDT and a parfum concentration, and the two smell different. The parfum has a dirtier, earthier smell, with less of the sour orange topnotes (and midnotes) of the EDT. Personally, as time goes on I find myself gravitating towards the EDT.

05 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2012)

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Well, this is certainly an interesting scent. To my nose it smells like a salad in a Chinese restaurant -- probably all the cucumber and kale. I just can't imagine an occasion where I'd want to wear this.

cello's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

After the false start, this one turns into a pepper laden vanilla fragrance that is warm, pleasant and very wearable. At times, I almost smelled a caramel note mixed into the pepper and vanilla, but that was only faint and occasional. It's a creamy vanilla close that stays fairly masculine, but certainly wearable by anyone.
    Overall, this one was nice but I almost expected more from Chanel. It is certainly a good fragrance, but lacks the depth or pop I would like.

Fleurine's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is one of the few unisex scents that I wear. A soothing bitter orange, cooled with mint, nicely done. Wonderful for a hot July night in New York City, or anywhere, for that matter.

scentimus's avatar

LouLou by Cacharel

This of this as the floral female version of Joop! Homme very very loud and strong with florals spice and heap load of sweet vanilla and helotrope.

I just can see any one wearing this as a everyday scent.

jcastano's avatar

Reaction T-Shirt by Kenneth Cole

Top Notes: Pear, Watermelon, Red Apple, Passion-fruit
    Middle Notes: Gin, Lavender, Juniper
    Base Notes: Cotton Flower, Musk, Sandalwood, Virginia Cedar

Reaction T-Shirt is actually a very unique and interesting fragrance. It doesn't remind me of anything that I've smelled but does give off the clean vibe from Gendarme for Men. Picture that clean, fresh linen smell from Gendarme. Now add all the fruity notes and gin, and that's what it smells like. In the top I get a puree of all the fruits blended, then I get a bit of the lavender and a heap of gin in the middle with the fruits still sweetening the mix, and in the base, I get a light musk and cotton flower with the gin/lavender/fruit puree dominantly lingering over. It's the scent of your favorite white cotton T-Shirt after it comes out of the dryer, assuming that you also used fruit-scented dryer sheets. You know when you're going out with friends but it's a casual hang out so you wear just any casual cologne? Y'all possibly go shoot pool or have a few drinks at a casual bar, maybe hang out and just have a few beers at each other's house while watching a game, then after the evening is over, you come home and crash out in your clothes. You wake up at noon and have nothing special planned so you stay in that same clothes and for the remainder of that day you keep smelling the light, leftover remnants of your cologne, from the previous night, on your t-shirt. You've just smelled Reaction T-Shirt! I really enjoy this one but sillage isn't so good but then again, that would sort of defeat the purpose of what this fragrance is about. I've only received a handful of compliments while wearing this but they were positive. Longevity is around 4-6 hours and it's a casual scent, nothing too special, good for anyone in their teens to someone in their 30's. It's meant for the warmer months but also works in cooler weather. My overall rating B-

miss mills's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Poison by Christian Dior

I love Christian Dior fragrances and used to own this one but it gets a thumbs down because it's plain old noxious. I tried so hard to like this, love the purple bottle, it should be a goth's wet, dark dream but while it is evil, that's not in a good way. Makes me think of frizzy haired women in heavily shoulder padded suits and frosted eyeshadow. There is nothing dark or sultry about this, not to me, anyway! Leave that to it's seductive sister (the Hypnotic one) or try on Mitsouko for size if you're after mystery.

Letitbenose's avatar

France France

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Robyogi is spot-on! I tried this after the reading many positive reviews. But come on, this is all about lemon, lemon, lemon! The dry down to a woody/creamy stuff is not bad, quite sexy. But please Chanel, the lemon volume is to loud in the top and middle notes. This is not well balanced at all. And it lasts about one hour on me. It may be my body chemistry. The fact is I don't want to smell like a lemon cream pie! Even if I like lemon cream pies...
    For you who like this kind of scent, go ahead: longevity is good, but projection rather moderate...
    But sorry Chanel, for me, the thumb goes down :(

nikitary's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

It's a great, classic, strong scent... Considering buying this, but one thing that puts me of is that it reminds me so much of how my uncle smelled when I was 8!

tdwctdwc's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Everytime i wear this, i feel like i'm swimming in a grotto-type hidden organic pool with dark blue fresh water, located on a remote meditterranean island that no one has yet discovered :)

Spectacular !

Jack Hunter's avatar

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

A semii gourmand fragrance with cocoa, vanille and iris mixed together to bring a enchanting seductive fragrance. The lipstick accord is drowned out by other notes and does not slap you in the face like the original version. A great fragrance.

Izzy's avatar

Corvette Red by Corvette

Fresh & cool, awesome longevity & projection! Versatility at it's best. Nothing ground breaking but for the price you can't go wrong. There are better fragrances out there but for the collector/aficionado this would be an enjoyment in anyone's collection. This is part of the CoolWater genre. Cool & crisp!

scentimus's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Sorry I don't see the Barber shop connection here at least any I have visited in my time.

This could pass for a women's fragrance it is very sweet and mega floral. I very much link this men's fragrance to Victor & Rolf's Flowerbomb and even that has some spicy patchouli to cut it sweetness which Le Male lacks.

The whole concept is very kitsch - this scent blatantly has more homo erotic overtones in both it add and packaging...yet we squawks about Joop in the 'pink'

I give props to both AMen and Joop for they are sweat scents like Le Male but counter part that sweetness with either spice or patchouli.

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

Very synthetic version of Cool Water if that's possible. This isn't even close to the quality of GIT. The opening isn't as pleasant as Cool Water and the drydown is a tart grape candy like accord. Sillage and Longevity were average at best and don't improve upon either in these areas. To be quite blunt, this smells like a $30 fragrance and not a dime more. This fragrance has no character and falls flat on it's face. F!

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

A heavy synthetic incense with the same tart grape candy drydown in Chez Bond. Everything else about this fragrance is just plain odd to the nose. There really isn't much more to say. Giving it a D instead of and F for having a cool bottle.

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

A unisex fragrance that is distinctly feminine. Don't even look at this one because it'll wink back with eyelashes full of mascara. As a feminine scent alone it smells below average so it doesn't get any points there. Pityful fragrance. F!

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

It's a better than Chez Bond which I gave an F. Would be a decent summer fragrance, but nothing special. On scent alone I would give it a C. Silliage and Longevity it would get a C. Price it gets an F. Uniqueness it gets a B. Would I buy a bottle of it? Absolutely not! I feel generous give this one a C.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Une Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This one is a confident and unsentimental rose with a riveting plot. First, it has a lemon zing freshness complemented by an ever-so-slightly harsh note like nail polish remover; if people mention 'thorn', the acetone would be it. Next is the sensation of chewiness that Une Rose affords – it really is like certain wines in this regard and feels viscous and fleshy when taken into the mouth via the nose. There is a dark honey sweetness to it, but also a minty fresh sheen just tinging the edges, that must be the geranium. It has chamomile charm too, which dovetails with the earlier honey and lemon touches. But best, and most prominent of all, is the truffle accord alluded to by Fléchier himself and that moves through Une Rose in a pungent arc from beginning to end: it's garlicky, vegetal, earthy, and petrol-like all at once, thereby obliterating through sheer pizazz any threat of dandyism or mere prettiness. Fantastic.

angelofthenorth's avatar

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Cinema begins like Hot Couture and Elle Intense, with strong and disturbing top notes of a graphite pencil shavings harshness. IMHO both of the others are better of their kind. After a while Cinema tails away into to a light sweet note. It's a disappointment if put in contention with original modern perfumes such as Womanity and Lolita Lempicka but maybe one for women who want a step up from bland fruity florals such as Dior Addict 2 and Miracle without getting into power statements. As a beginner I can only say sadly Cinema does nothing to attract me to the world of perfumes and to YSL as a brand.

ga97's avatar

Touch Of Class by Fabergé

Green, citrus, aldehyde scent like guerlains charmade or first by Arpel

sherapop's avatar

1881 pour Femme by Cerruti

Cerruti 1881 pour femme (edt) has an addictive quality, and the more I wear it, the more I like it. Clean and fresh without being aquatic (thank goodness...), this composition is lightly floral and woody with a touch of soapiness. Honestly, I just think that this stuff smells swell. Is it profound? No. Will it inspire the wearer to aspire to new creative heights? Probably not. Is it an eminently wearable all-occasion fragrance? Yes. Also holds up very well in the heat and is perfect for summertime: as it wafts off the body it smells even better than it does close to the skin.

In the interest of truth in reviewing, I should confess here that I am a certified violet-'ho', which may help to explain my enthusiasm for this creation. I also love ambrette, though I cannot claim to be able to tease it out here as an individual note. In its violet-woodiness, 1881 seems to me in some ways similar to Creed LOVE IN BLACK. My only complaint is that the longevity of 1881 is rather poor. In an attempt to address this problem, I acquired a bottle of Cerruti 1881 collection edp, thinking that it was a stronger version of 1881, but it is a completely different composition--also nice, but not the same.

06 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2011)

Kchild's avatar

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé by Hermès

This is a fragile, ethereal, watercolor of a scent. I can smell the orange flower very much at first spray, then a bit of rose. Before long I am wearing a very romantic artists rendering of the iris flower~not the roots. It's as if a large cluster of iris petals have caught the wind and are swirling about me. Very feminine to my nose as well. This is quickly becoming a summer favorite. Sillage is modest ~about a 5/10~but the longevity is surprising~about 8 hours. I am more convinced I will need another bottle each time I wear it. Lovely.

06 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 July, 2011)

spice's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

The best women's perfume ever made.

06 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 July, 2011)