Fragrance Reviews from July 2011

Acqua Viva by Profumum

An incredibly realistc, natural and sparkling lemon note with woody undertones (cedarwood). Simple yet really well executed and refined, long lasting, kinda energizing. Not my cup of tea but surely among the best lemon based fragrances around.

07 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Grain De Plaisir is pretty bizarre indeed. It's all about lemon and celery with herbal and woody undertones. Very aromatic, somehow compelling but maybe a bit too odd. This is the kind of fragrance that smells good (well, sort of) but I would never feel comfortable to wear. Let me put it simple, would you wear your celery salad in pinzimonio?

07 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2011)

cosmopolit's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Tobacco & Tulle by Soivohle (Liz Zorn)

I came across T&T while searching tobacco fragrances (though I am not sure why). My search let me to the artisanal fragrance houses of AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo and Liz Zorn, both of whom seem to deal especially well with tobacco absolute.

That said, I would not consider T&T to be a tobacco fragrance per se (if that is what you are looking for, check out Tabac or Chilum from AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo or Meerschaum from Liz Zorn).

T&T is an animalic fragrance, heavy on cumin (and hyrax urine tincture) that also integrates tobacco and tuberose in a wonderful manner. It is like the sweat of the gods.

I should also say that I have found my Liz Zorn samples to be a mixed bag, some (Vanillaville, Oud Lacquer) quite medicinal and not interesting. But T&T is inspired.

07 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 August, 2011)

cosmopolit's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Eau du Fier by Annick Goutal

Eau du Fier is an uncompromising scent for those who love smoky birch tar in a dry, non-animalic setting.

I have been thinking about why I love this scent, in the context of Off Scenter's review below. What is remarkable to me is the top and mid-note lineup of this fragrance: bitter orange, mint, osmanthus, clove, tea. All of these are easily discernable in the development of the scent.

What Eau du Fier is not: sweet (vanilla, tonka, amber) and animalic. The result is often perceived as synthetic (rubbery, etc) by those who do not love the coolness of the blend. But for those who are looking for birch tar in an absolutely unique context, this scent satisfies.

In many ways, this can be seen as the bass version of something like Lutens Daim Blond, which also combines apricot (osmanthus) and suede leather (in fact, I have tried layering the two, which extends each scent by an octave in each direction).

Along with Sables, one of the best Goutal fragrances.

07 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2011)

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Eau De Cologne anyone? A long lasting Eau De Cologne which smells fine but sells at a ridicolous and definitely otrageous price. Nothing new, go for the original or for other billions of cheaper interpretation of the same theme.

07 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Eau d'Orange Verte is indeed a natural smelling citrus cologne, with the strengths and weaknesses of its genre. It is pleasant and truly genderless. Longevity is not impressive. On a warm day I get about 5 hours of close to the vest aroma. Surprisingly, this version is better in the longevity sweepstakes then its Concentree counterpart.

Darvant's avatar

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

I fully agree with the Foetidus's description, the first part of the development is decidedly alcoholic, sharp and watery because of the astringent accord between citrusy lavender, freesia, geranium and grapefruit. The spices are moderately dosed, some herbs uphold a certain level of sharpness and the role of the ambergris is to set a silky alley to play as a couscion towards the softer mossy base. The fragrance is a fresh and traditional green fougere with a touch of ozone and air. The connection between freesia, lavender, some aldehydes and ozonic elements is the link with the "marine" universe. Notorious and respectable this stout scent was a precursor for many following  mass-market airy fashionable fragrances, the scent of the fresh-marine-easy life of the past roaring years.

scratchnsniff24's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Burberry London, as with all my purchases was a blind buy. I guess I just like the excitement of not knowing what I'm going to get. Then, that initial first sniff, that warrants a scent a worthy place on my shelf or thrown in the drawer for "dire emergencies".

This one, this one was a winner for sure, right from the get-go! I've never been as initially happy with any aftershave. And I don't buy aftershaves based on what notes I like, I don't break the scent down noticing the aroma and texture and other such stuff. I am, in short not a connoisseur. I just sniff it, and if it smells good I stick with it.
    But this I'm sure, would please just about anyone. Right from the average joe's all through to the real aficionados.

The name "Burberry" I must say did put me off until I read some reviews which put my mind at ease. I was expecting some, lager soaked, cigarette strewn council house with some Lynx thrown in to cover up, kinda smell. "London" put me off also, I'm a countryside boy. Not big into these hustling bustling cities.
    Thankfully my assumption couldn't have been more wrong!
    It's a comforting, warm, cosy type smell. In a word "Cuddly". Especially fit for the colder months when you and a lady friend are getting settled down in front of the fire, with a cup of hot chocolate, while it rains outside.
    This in my book is what aftershave's are all about. Yea, you smell good. But it's one of those that can quite easily create and capture a moment/period in your life.
    Something you can revisit years later and it'll take you straight back. After all, the sense of smell is the sense most closely linked to memory.
    Top 5 without doubt!

scratchnsniff24's avatar

Paul Smith Sunshine Edition for Men by Paul Smith

I really liked this one!
    Bought it early last year just as spring was rolling around. Used it pretty much every day until it was gone, I enjoyed it that much. Right through spring and into/through summer. Just couldn't get enough of that grapefruit!
    During that time I got a better paying job so I went wild buying aftershaves and I never got round to buying another bottle of this. Now there's the 2011 version and I'm intrigued as to how that smells in comparison. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they kept the juice the same as it's always going to be a winner. Please please please don't have cocked it up Mr Smith!

silentrich's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Has the opening of Millesime Imperiale and the dry down of Chez Bond. It's definately not a replacement for MI, but if you enjoy that you'll like this. If you like Chez Bond you'll love this as it's the better fragrance. It has a tart grape like dry down which melds together with the opening much better than the weird combination that is Chez Bond. Love and Luck is a very pleasant fragrance that can be worn everyday. Bottle worthy.

Pure Grace by Philosophy

Philosophy PURE GRACE is a serious shower-in-a-bottle in the bottle scent whose sole purpose appears to be to make the wearer smell as though s/he recently showered. No surprise really, since it's printed right there on the label: “nothing smells better than soap and water clean”. As I recently bathed, it all seems a bit redundant to me. The philosophy here is one of inoffensivity: don't rock the boat and by all means avoid drawing the attention of the perfume police to you! Very much in line with the output of the house of Clean, PURE GRACE smells like a middling hotel soap with a sliver of vetiver thrown in for good measure and reminds me in its personal-hygiene-obsessed intention of breath mints or scented deodorant (both of which I shun). I prefer to start with a clean body and then layer on top a bona fide perfume. That said, since I have it, I might wear this fragrance now and then, when I know that I'm going to be in a congested public setting, such as today, when I'll be at the library surrounded by people some of whom really could use a good lathering... Perhaps my just-showered-smell will inspire them to raise the (soap) bar and finally suds up! On ne sait jamais...

Update: okay, after about an hour, I could not even smell PURE GRACE anymore. This is definitely much more of an unperfume than a perfume. There are better choices for public-friendly fragrances, it seems to me. TRACY and CERRUTI 1881 are good examples of very clean-smelling scents with a bit of perfumic integrity and depth.“Nothing smells better than soap and water clean”? Au contraire. For example, perfume.

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

Philosophy AMAZING GRACE is doubly misnamed. Another shower-in-a-bottle frag, this one is so nondescript that the most I can say is that it's a very slightly soapy, very light generic floral composition. Could be peony; could be lily-of-the-valley. In the end, this is the classic “abstract floral” (aka “chemical soup”) about which some self-proclaimed authorities (cough cough) have raved. After two cases, I'm starting to understand the underlying philosophy of the Philosophy brand: it's all about being bland. Bland is not ugly nor is it a source of strife. On the other hand, it's neither beautiful nor inspiring. It's really the epitome of “meh,” a bit like white noise: you just tune it out after a bit of time.

These GRACE fragrances call to mind an article I recently read by a woman who took SSRIs for five years and reported that during that time she watched her life from afar, and, while she cared, she did not care so much. She noticed that her memory was worse, but she attributed it to her advancing age (all of 40...). Same story for her somewhat doughy, slightly flabby body. And she just didn't care. So naturally she did not care that she did not care. This is how I feel about the Philosophy line: I just don't care for these compositions at all, though I have nothing in particular against them. They are entirely forgettable “unperfumes” to me. They're not even distinct enough to be anti-perfume, because in order to be anti- something, you have to have something to say.

Falling In Love by Philosophy

Throwing caution to the wind, I decided to take up yet another Philosophy unperfume this afternoon: FALLING IN LOVE, which fortunately is a vast improvement on INNER GRACE, which however can hardly be viewed as a compliment, given that I actually had to resort to a scrub to get that chemical soup off my skin. FALLING IN LOVE strikes me as somewhat cynical, an expression of the age-old wisdom that “not all that glitters is gold,” one corollary of which is that not every crush attains the status of true love. FALLING IN LOVE opens as a sweet, jammy, laundry scent. Yes, difficult to believe but no less for that true, “sweet laundry” is in fact a twenty-first century fragrance category, and FALLING IN LOVE is a member of that class—at least in its opening, until it dries down like the residue at the bottom of an almost empty jar of berry jam: thick and unspreadable dark fruits. Very shallow, this fragrance may have surface appeal but quickly becomes boring, like a person who seemed loveable until he opened his mouth. Or even worse, left a piece of his screed lying about, revealing to all the barrenness of his soul. He might be okay for a one-night stand, but falling for him is not FALLING IN LOVE. A more appropriate name for this forgettable composition might be PASSING FAD or, better yet, OMG WHAT WAS I THINKING WHEN I BEDDED DOWN WITH A GUY WITH 3 STDS?

Unconditional Love by Philosophy

For those in search of sweet laundry scents—you must be out there somewhere, else houses would cease producing and marketers promoting them—Philosophy UNCONDITIONAL LOVE is a much better choice than FALLING IN LOVE, as it opens and remains a sweet laundry scent. I find this composition much more likeable, although I do think that its name is a bit of an exaggeration. My own concept of unconditional love probably was decisively molded by my father—a civil engineer—who was famous in our family when I was growing up for spouting a variety of aphorisms such as “You could be replaced by a machine.” Many of these pronouncements appear to have been meant facetiously, but one of them bears directly on the topic at hand: “I may not always like you, but I'll always love you.” This is a clear expression of unconditional love: no matter what you do, I will still love you. Very similar, it seems to me, to the relation which must obtain between the persons I see out walking their dogs on frosty quasi-Antarctic nights in the darkest depths of winter in Boston. There they are, dutifully bending down to scoop up the poop of their beloved pooch without complaining or any indication that such a task is beneath them—though of course it is, down on the ground at the level of their feet! Yes, they could be at home snuggled under down comforters, but, no, these pet owners are out picking up steaming turds off glacial sidewalks. It's really a sight to behold and a clear sign to me that the only possible relation that could obtain between the owners and their dogs is unconditional love. But I digress.

Although I do like a good citrus scent now and then, I'm not much for the fruity-floral genre, including the subcategory of berry perfumes, but UNCONDITIONAL LOVE is a perfectly wearable one and definitely more likeable and sturdy than FALLING IN LOVE, which perhaps appropriately somewhat falls apart. I would say that UNCONDITIONAL LOVE compares favorably to the Trish McEvoy blackberry fragrances and also Victoria's Secret VELVET AMBER BLACKBERRY. Yes, there are now a number of decent berry perfumes available, so there's no need to settle for anything but the best, for what they are. Different wearers will appreciate different features of these various fruity scents, but in the end I think that it's fair to say that berry lovers have cause to rejoice.

Fleurine's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a review of the oil perfume. Let me just preface this by saying musc oil perfume is one of my favorite things in the universe, and my daily scent is Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Her Oil. In my humble opinion, this is the way to wear musc, but I digress.
    Musc ravager is a quietly aromatic delicious gourmandy scent that does not overwhelm the wearer. A bit smoldering, a bit snuggly, with pleasing and yummy base notes that I find comforting and warm. It is sexy, especially in that the oil wears so close to the skin. Now some people do not feel comfortable with this one, so smell it before buying...but don't be afraid. It's is very special and lovely.

Reflection Woman by Amouage

Francis Roucel

I know this is not the guy’s real name but please bear with me, you’ll see my point. Reflection Woman from Amouage is simply lovely. Really excellent stuff there, it hits you immediately with freesia, and an excellent freesia to boot. If you like the flower, like I do, there is no way you won’t like this scent. Well done Monsieur Maurice Roucel. And it is not just freesia, the scent of a whole bunch of fresh spring flowers will surround you. Again, all I can say is: bravo!

And now to the Francis part. There is a scene in the movie Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince where Professor Slughorn tells a story about Francis, a goldfish. When Lily Potter dies, Francis, the goldfish: puff, vanishes too. Just like that. And so did the perfume from my wrist. And after about two hours, mind you. Puff, gone. Now, this I find not to be OK. Especially for something that costs 190 EUR for 50 ml. Puff, money gone and then puff, perfume gone. Between those two puffs, it is magnificent.

Stars on my smell-o-meter: three out of five

manicboy's avatar

Halston 1-12 by Halston

Want to smell galbanum? 1-12 is a foundation built to galbanum. Somewhat overshadowed by Z-14 but just as good. Dirty green, kind of like the garden writ large. There's some citrus and oak moss in here but galbanum is the star of the show. Cheap as dishwater so get it while you can. No better scent for dirty, earthy green without a trace of patchouli in sight.

Ubar Woman by Amouage

this is about the new Ubar:

The City of the Lost

No history lesson here, anyone in need of remembering the story of the ancient city of Ubar can find it on Wikipedia, here. Amouage has a perfume wearing the name of this ancient city, in honour of the city, of Oman and of frankincense. I have read a few reviews of Ubar from Amouage before starting to write my own and now I sit here a bit worried. Almost all reviews were positive, very positive. And here I come, a nobody in the perfume world and I have the nerve not to like it. Do not misunderstand me, I can smell the quality in it, but it reminded me of my childhood and the heavy perfumes of my grandmother. I hated it then, it seems I did not get over it. For me it is like Shalimar, another masterpiece I hope only to see in perfume shops and never at home. Sorry folks, I do not like it. Oh, and a comment, if I may: Ubar, the city was wealthy, very wealthy because of the frankincense. I find it insulting not to put the stuff in the perfume.

Stars on my smell-o-meter: two out of five

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Le Maroc Pour Lui

I’ve never been to Morocco. Never smelled the air in the desert. Nor will I ever go. That is because I will probably be disappointed. I will expect the air to smell like Andy Tauer’s perfume. And I find it hard to be possible. I like most of the stuff Andy is making and the L'air du Désert Marocain only comes second to Lonestar Memories as far as I’m concerned. I like to think about myself as a complicated, smart and powerful man. As you see I do not lack self-confidence either. But when I am wearing L'air du Désert Marocain it gets even better. I am not going to analyze the scents and notes and stuff, I will just tell you how it makes me feel. I am a Catholic. Those of you who have at least visited a Catholic church during a mass will know what I am talking about. There is the smell of incense in the air, a sense of quiet power floating around that makes everyone behave themselves and keep quiet. No one really tells one to shut up in there, but still, one does. And one gets the feeling of being part of that power, even if not all sins have been confessed, even if there is not just goodness inside them, even if one forgot the second line of the Hail Mary.

Stars on my smell-o-meter: five out of five

Persolaise's avatar

02 Owari by Odin New York

You know the onomatopoeic 'sound effect' captions used in comic books? Well, Owari opens with a KA-POW, BANG, SHAZZAM! The top notes leap off the skin in a burst of yellow, green, pink and orange. There's fizzing grapefruit, zesty lime, tart apple and cheeky mandarin, shimmering before you like a near-palpable vision of fruity enticement that dares you not to start licking your lips. It's a cologne-like opening unlike any I've smelt for months, so optimistic, so life-embracing, so downright happy, it could probably put a smile on the face of every super villain from Doctor Doom to The Joker. Okay, he already has a pretty broad smile on his face, but you know what I mean.

It isn't surprising that after such a firework-laden first act, things calm down considerably. The citrus effervescence - which, by its nature, isn't capable of retaining its strength for very long - makes way for toned down woods and a clean, musky base, but it doesn't disappear entirely, lending its crispness all the way to the dying pangs of the drydown. In this season of warmer weather, several mainstream houses are pushing the familiar parade of 'light' flankers (think: Jean-Paul Gaultier, Calvin Klein and Issey Miyake) but they all pale in comparison to Owari. It's cheerful, carefree and bright... and as if that weren't enough, it's actually made by a company named after Thor's dad! Like I said: KA-POW!!!

Mapletop's avatar

Havana by Aramis

I got this cologne because I heard that it was a good tobacco scent. This wasn't the tobacco that I expected. I have saw conflicting pyramids on Havana. Ones with tobacco and ones with vetiver. I think the notes on fragrantica describe this scent as to what I smell, opposed to the above pyramid. I get fresh vetiver with rich, deep spice. Not what I expected but I have to give it a thumbs up.

pyttlc's avatar

China China

Flowing for Women by Puma

This one is reminds me of Inspiration from Lacoste. Very nice and easy to get alone with.
    The staying power is also good. Maybe even better than Lacoste.Woody Floral, suitable for OL daily wear.

pyttlc's avatar

China China

Aromadisiac for Her by Avon

i got a bottle of this for a real buy. i guess this scent is not very welcoming for pinky young girls. But it's a really nice one. Impressive staying power at least 8 hours for sure.
    i agree with Sophi's view that this is dark and mellow thinking about chocolate and amber.It's better for night. Sort of like Celine's Fever. i notice both have Jasmine and Amber which i enjoy. Oh, there's also something thick in the scent. Just for woman age over 30 i guess.

Bigsly's avatar

Night Spice by Shulton

Is Shulton's Night Spice very similar to Bogner Deep Forest? This is what some claim. I tried Night Spice, after getting a decent deal on a large bottle, though I've never tried Deep Forest. There was strong lavender at first (though not irritating), but that didn't last long. The drydown was a typical Old Spice kind of thing, sweet, dry, and creamy patchouli/sandalwood. It's a little powdery, perhaps a touch of spice, etc. What impressed me most is how nicely blended it is. There is no harsh anise or anything like that. I didn't detect a major moss note, if there is any oakmoss at all. There may be a mild animalic note. There is no major clean/soapy quality to it, as one finds with "men's" fragrances from the 1980s that contain a lot of lavender.

Projection/"sillage" seems moderate to good. Longevity is excellent. From my experience, I'd say this is closest to Alexander Julian's Colours for Men, though that one has stronger projection, better note separation, and seems to have a stronger animalic quality. On the other hand, Night Spice might be better for when you don't want to be "challenged" too much by your fragrance, and the far drydown features a slightly cool quality and the heavy patchouli/sandalwood accord has diminished considerably, giving it a much more "modern" quality. At that point, it's like a thin vanillic cream with a touch of spice and anise or mint, though I think the slight animalic quality ("dirty jasmine"?) is still present.

Mapletop's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy opens with a great ginger note. I think I could have enjoyed this if the drydown wasn't so heavy and cloying. It soon drys down to a heavy ambery wood. Theres a suble cloying sweetness to this that I think makes this frag too heavy for me. I hate to say this but I detect a faint BO note. In the line of work that I do I work with alot of elderly people, and this reminds me of those un-washed hands that has been to every crack and crevice on that persons body. I couldn't stand to wear this frag because of the latter. The smell association was too far etched into my memory.

teardrop's avatar

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

See my blog post "Too Special for Words" for my thoughts on this beautiful perfume. l had too much to say about it to fit into a review! Suffice it to say here that if you love gardenia, this is absolutely a must-try!

tjayuk's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I disagree with comments this is a mature fragrance im 28 and absolutely love the smell. Its very different to the usual aquatics or sports that are worn by people of my age and I like to be different :)

I love the citrus orange opening that fades to the woody earthy smell to me it has a peppery note that lingers too. It seems to last a good few hours and I get quite a few comments. I think the comments are mainly because i suppose for my age women don't expect to smell something like this it intrigues them

I have only just found this fragrance but I expect it to be in my collection all the time now

tjayuk's avatar

Quiksilver by Quiksilver

I picked up a 50ml bottle for just £6 ($9) at a local fragrance shop for that price it really is an excellent daytime fragrance.

Its fresh, very green and I can imagine smelling this on the beach somewhere in the sun. Ive had good comments and people have mistaken it for Diesel. It surprisingly projects for around 2-3 hours and lasts up to 5 or so on my skin!

Excellent cheap buy for the summer

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Jean Claude Ellena shows off his artistry with this first in the garden series of exotic green mysteries - Un Jardin en Mediterranee. Is this a safe trip through exotic garden or an unpredictable adventure down a road less traveled? Nothing in the fragrance is common or ordinary, which lends an authentic air about it. There is a natural green randomness about the scent that I like. The opening is an invitation to a nice day with orange blossoms wafting through the soft bitterness of green fig leaves and woods. This is a very natural, green fig plant with leaves and dry sweet woods. Almost a tartness to the fig that is intriguing. The central character of this exotic scent is sweet dry but green fig wood which stays throughout the development. The smell is exotic, very mediterranean, very green with an innocent wisp of sweet delicate floral blossoms at the finish. The wisp of mystery florals at the base is white oleander, one the most poisonous plants on earth, every bit of the plant is deadly except for the slightly sweet, exotic and innocent fragrance of its white flowers. The fragrance works best in moderate warm climate and seems out of place during winter, and is completely at home in sultry heat.

fragranceman88's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Oud 27 by Le Labo

Wow! Where to star with this one. It is very sour up top and i dont like the animalic note in this. It is a very unique scent. I dont dislike it but i wouldn't buy a bottle of this. Its quite offensive.