Fragrance Reviews from August 2011

man114's avatar

King by Parfums de Coeur

Up front it smells vaguely like sweet Drakkar. Perhaps Caesar's Man is a better interpretation as this is sweeter smelling than Drakkar as is Caesar's. Opening is almost identical but weaker to Caesar's. After a period of time (not a long one, I've met my friend an hour or two after he put this stuff on) it smells like an incense stick. An oriental gone wrong or cheap, but not a good comparison there are good smelling cheap orientals. I couldn't place it for a while but finally hit the nail on the head. It smells like an incense stick plain old $1 incense from a dollar store. This is not a long period of time, an hour or two maybe you're not getting much of that sweeater Drakkar/Caesar's opening for your money (granted it isn't much money). This incense stick presence lasts for hours and hours, and projects madly if its hot out, or stays almost unnoticed if its cool. My friend wears this from time to time and we always make fun of its tagline calling it "Conquesto El Stinko". It smells OK if you smell it yourself or out of the bottle, but on someone else you're constantly thinking what awful cologne. Ever so often you'll catch a whiff and thing "that is just awful colgone you're wearing). It is that bad. He did however get complimented on it at a store from a clerk, and my wife doesn't dislike it, so perhaps the ladies like it more? It isn't worth the torture you endure suffering through it. I wore it today and am on maybe hour 12, at which according to the box it should be going strong. Smells the same at this point as if I wore their cheapo BOD Man 24K spray, a skin scent that is only dry and woody by that point, almost overly dry, I'd not consider it attractive at this point, but bland, tossed into the myriad of cheap woody drydowns of cheap sub $10 colognes.

The progression goes something like this, sweet Drakkar/Caesar's Man, Incense, dry woody. There are better, more refined smelling fragrances that have plenty of incense if you like it even on the cheap end, if you wanted something sweeter with some incense, get Elizabeth Taylor's Passions for Men it is only a bit more and is much more tolerable and has a much more pleasant impresson. This stuff earned our take on its tag line, "Conquisto El Stinko", for good reason.

man114's avatar

Jovan Satisfaction for Him by Jovan

Generic but pleasant.

Chasing the Dragon's avatar

Tonka Impériale by Guerlain

Nice fragrance, but on my skin it turns to full-on marzipan. Way too sweet for me!

Swanky's avatar

Cigar Aficionado by Cigar Aficionado

Aficionado (the word "Cigar" doesn't appear on the box nor on the bottle) is definitely a throwback to the 70s and 80s heyday of pungent and aromatic masculine fragrances. It has some of the tobacco/leather character of Bogart and Z-14 with a smoky note similar to Jacomo de Jacomo. The bottle is old school as well.

For the price this is a good under-the-radar selection for the guy who'd like to smell a bit unique for a budget price.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

With Après La Mousson, Elléna takes the Un Jardin series from the limp and inoffensive to the categorically lousy. A failure to exploit the jazzier possibilities here – cardamom, ginger, coriander, lime, pepper – and Ellena’s boasting of an especially loud cantaloupe note, means Après La Mousson is vapid and unpleasantly watery-sweet. This feels like it should be branded with the name of a female pop artist and consigned to the bargain bin.

Ozjon701's avatar

Balle de Match / L'Eau De Sport by Nicolaï

This is indeed a true sports scent. I'm thinking parkland cricket or lawn tennis club when I smell Balle de Match. Now I own and enjoy several mainstream 'sport' scents but few bring to my mind sunshine, closely cut grass and athletic pursuits quite like this. Given a fresh scent with a touch of leather and I might think sports-car, a touch of civet and perhaps I might get 'athletic support', but this PdN makes me want to get my tennis balls out and have a hit. Sadly some ‘sport’ scents have all the appeal of diluted water, more apt descriptors might be ‘diet light’, or ‘casual stroll’. Nothing I've smelt so far says Sport quite like Balle de Match.

gary z's avatar

Hai Karate by Leeming

all of the rancid and nuclear waste comments are dead wrong. This frag is actually pretty soft on the drydown. I actually am in the process of looking for a smell alike.

jenson's avatar

India India

Dunhill Custom by Dunhill

elegant fragrance. nothing that would grab your attention immediately, the color of the juice is kinda misleading, it's not that strong. it's sweet, subtle, and woody in the gentlest way. excellent for office wear. good longevity.

Ubar Woman by Amouage

I'm taking a detour from my sojourn into Italian fragrances by heading towards Oman with a few generous dabs of Amouage UBAR. Figuratively speaking of course, for in Ubar I found no reference to Middle Eastern styles of perfumery. Ubar is the 'lost' city after all.

The construct leans towards the classical, borrowing more than a few leaves from perfumes of legend but the fragrance itself does not smell dated. Nor vintage. Better noses than mine have deconstructed the fragrance symphony so I shall not go there. In fact, I'm not sure if I could have done it had I tried. Ubar reached in deep into my core, moving me in ways very few fragrances could. Smelling it for the first time was, for lack of a better descriptive, heartbreaking. It made me realize why the disappearance or reformulation of vintage classics causes so much grief to perfume lovers.

Ubar, as it is so aptly named, is a heartaching story of lost but never-to-be-forgotten splendor. If anyone is after an Amouage masterpiece, this is it.

Darvant's avatar

Silver Shadow Altitude by Davidoff

Bracing woody-musky aquatic very airy and a bit incensey. This one is green-aromatic because of some  lovage and juniper berries and a bit spicy due to cardamom and cumin. It combines some balsamic cold elements of mountain with others aquatics and dynamic. Yes, it reminds a bit Cool Water but is airier and more aromatic retaining anyway that same aquatic masculine  pungency of synthetic marine notes-green aromatic notes-grapefruit-cedar-musk-wood. The role of amber in Cool Water here is played by the combination of incense and musk. Not bad.

Endymion by Penhaligon's

A magical scent from the House of Penhaligon. A mysterious castle in an enchanted forest. The old nurse muttering incantations. The ancient chamber of the heir. A whisper of cloves amid the flowered, ethereal gardens? That fairy tunnel through the trees. And, strangely enough, not only highly poetic but also extremely wearable.

Quercus by Penhaligon's

Quercus - soft,warm, and brown. No, not like a sleeping puppy, more like a kinder, gentler, more civilized Quorum. Imagine a retired banker, of the old school, Eton and Oxford bred. Distinguished and masculine but with a slightly subdued sperm count. He potters about in his garden, he potters about in his club, he potters about at the County Show. Fellow says to him in the latrines: "What ho, Reggie, damned fine scent you're wearing! What's it called?" "Quercus, don't you know, well accepted everywhere, quality all the way. Doesn't shout too loud but lets you know it's got the money."

Douro Eau de Portugal / Lords by Penhaligon's

Having created Blenheim Bouquet, perhaps the finest citrus and pine cologne known to the perfumier's art, the House of Penhaligon always has an uphill struggle to match it with any other of its citrus creations. And so it is with Lords [Douro]. In spite of the obvious quality of its ingredients, it strikes my nose as one-dimensional and harsh, somehow combined with a dusty, fusty Englishness.

L'Heure Attendue by Jean Patou

Interesting to see the notes listed. I see no orange flower (absolute) listed, but it smells rather like a straight-up variation on this theme to me. Lush/Gorilla Perfumes has an Orange Blossom that smells quite like this. Neither I find particularly enjoyable in their presentation. There is also a slight off-note in the opening, which is probably due to the vintage sample and lower concentration of the jus. This review is for the EdT!

Divine Folie by Jean Patou

This smells predominantly of cloves/carnation with a comfortable warmth on me. As such it does very little for me showing no real facets. It also reminds me of Colony in feel. This review is for the EdT!

Chaldée (original) by Jean Patou

Interestingly, I found another fragrance of Ma Collection to remind me a lot of suntan lotion and skin. It was Adieu Sagesse. Chaldee here smells very Guerlain to me and clearly reminds me of Vol de Nuit (narcissus, which I smell a lot in the very new Vol de Nuit extrait) in its heart. As Baykat pointed out (due to the opoponax and other notes) this is steering towards Shalimar territory in its drydown, but even more so Caron's Farnesiana, which is also rather sweet. A fantastic fragrance, which slightly loses me in its drydown. This review is for the EdT!

Rose des Bois by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Having sampled or worn numerous fragrances from this house, especially from their Scents of the Soul line, I have to admit I find Rose de Bois underwhelming. Boring even. The rose note goes MIA after 5 minutes. The wood section feels more like the basenotes - a subtle amalgamation of cinnamon, vetiver and sandalwood - soft, creamy with just a hint of spice for warmth. Projection is next to zero. But it is surprisingly tenacious, considering the claims to all-natural ingredients .

But the bone of contention I have with this somewhat skeletal composition is its lack of a distinct voice. I've worn this a few times and on each of those occasions, I simply forgot which attar I had on. I don't know if Rose de Bois unravels much too quick on my skin, but it smells remarkably similar to the drydown in many of Salaam's compositions. The talented perfume composer may have produced some notable hits but I'm afraid this isn't one of them.

odysseusm's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

I like this scent. It has a lovely opening in the style of Eau de Lierre -- namely, crunchy green leaves. I find that very appealing. Then, a delicate green rose note appears. It is translucent, not sweet, almost sappy in style. Very vital and appealing. The rose note deepens but never becomes heavy, and it has good longevity. Finally, the dry-down is slightly dusky and salty and wears very well. A completely unisex scent, in my opinion.

Darvant's avatar

Blue Jeans by Versace

At the beginning the accord of lavender, herbal elements, citrus, floral notes, musk and cedar reminds me a bit Spazio Krizia but Blue Jeans is less aromatic and a bit darker and sweeter because of the link of patchouli, violets and jasmine. I detect a sort of neroli accord that is not listed and that interacts with nuttmeg in order to enrich the wake. The initial liquorice-herbal-citrus-lavender opening leads the smell, through a floral transition, towards a woody and powdery outcome with a pleasant and smooth musky-sandalwood undertone. The patchouli interacts with anise, aromatic herbs, cedar, woods and creamy musk in order to perform the typical powdery bit woodsy-mentholated after taste changed and and glorified by a valzer of fruits and flowers. Casual and youthful but complex at all.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Sunset Boulevard by Gale Hayman

I've seen Sunset Boulevard described as a unisex perfume (Fragrantica for instance) and as a feminine perfumes (like here in Basenotes) and I can assure you that it is more feminine than anythig else.
    It is basically white flowers, jasmine, some lilly and faintly honeysucle and some others white flowers but jasmine is clearly the dominant note. The honey is subdued and hardly perceived while the orange, although it is unquestionable there while you spray it, it is gone in a few seconds.
    A very pleasant perfume but it may induce headaches to some, it is that class of perfume unfortunately.
    Some men may pull it off, but it is clearly a feminine perfume.
    A very weak thumbs up

eov8b's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

a good alternative to the kouros, a similar nasty but more restrained stink

lebeauche's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This perfume was a pleasant surprise. I received a sample of it and I love the smell, until I bought Azzaro chrome, however regretted. The sample was over and I had realized that he could not do without perfume in my collection. The BLV Pour Homme is a fragrance very sexy, a man makes me feel powerful, sophisticated, beyond good and evil. I like him also for not making "noise", and he is discreet. Therefore, I feel obliged to try the whole line Blvgari. Hugs.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Yohji Homme by Yohji Yamamoto

The bittersweet, brilliant, and now discontinued, Yohji Homme pushes the inedible fougère theme to its very brink and then teeters there with absolute control, eyeing up the gourmand abyss below. This artful pivoting depends on a clutch of grown-up ingredients demanding care and restraint – coffee, liquorice, cocoa, rum – all delicious, but none simply so: liquorice, used so assertively here, is both food and palate cleanser. Likewise, coffee smells wonderful but tastes bad (because bitter) and our enjoyment comes from gathering its aroma in our mouth and exhaling it through our nose via the throat. Yohji Homme’s taut arrangement of notes around the amber glow possibility of food, without ever surrendering its herbaceous-soapy character, is the standout feature of this quiet, dark, and fiercely cerebral scent.

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

I have only been wearing this once so I won't jump to conclusions right away but this is my first impression:

The notes are verry light and it's a close to the skin fragrance. I do like the fragrance I just was wishing it was projecting more. longevity is pretty weak (4 to 5 hours max)

Fleurine's avatar

Sugar by Fresh

If you like sugar this is just like it. With a touch of lemon.

kierroo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

Not a typical Burberry fragrance as said above but it is quite unique for a mainstream fragrance.

Sprayed this one many times, and each time i have done so i'v liked the smell, when first applied you can smell the pepper straight off i can smell a bit of citrus but not alot. As it dries down you can smell Bourbon which too be fair the inclusion of alcohol ( booze Notes) has became a trademark for Burberry Fragrances.

Overall i think this would be perfect for fall and winter in the lower temperatures, i tired it in summer and you could properly get away with it but i feel it will come out even more so in the winter.

One to buy for the coming fall/winter.

Wise Owl's avatar

Autograph Sport by Marks and Spencer

Autograph Sport is very similar not only in packaging, but smell to Chanel Allure Homme Sport. Not really a fan of the latter despite being well put together. However if you're looking for something similar but for less than half the price then this is definitely worth a look.

Mona Lisa by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Much like its more famous namesake, MONA LISA stumps me with her enigmatic charms. I find it tough to peg it down as it switches gears as rapidly as a Formula 1 racer negotiating a series of bends. Spicy indolic floral one moment, soft animalic musk a second later, even dry black tea leaf-like notes at some point. I don't get the fleshy rubbery texture I usually associate with tuberose either. Maybe it is there, maybe it is not. Other than the composer himself, who can really tell what else is in this sniff-worthy fragrance? But I can tell you the civet is rather playful. And this is probably why Mona Lisa smiles the way she does.

Marathon Alchemist's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Anbar by Comme des Garçons

I sampled all three from the cologne series and came home with Anbar. That's not to say that I didn't like the rest, it was a winner above the rest. Citrico's longevity was much too short. Vettiveru's scent was great but much too common. Anbar starts off like Citrico but ends with a character all its own. Creamy orange blossom. Some have said like a jawbreaker but I never liked jawbreakers as a kid so I wouldn't know but the scent does remind me of a candy for sure. However, since this aspect of the cologne reveals itself on the drydown it's not overtly sweet. It's a thoroughly engaging experience and that's why I bought the 500ml bottle.

Izzy's avatar

HisStory by Avon

This is good stuff reminds me of Curve in a way. I've gotten lots & lots of compliments when wearing this fragrance, very versatile. This is great for the outdoors if in an office go easy on on the trigger.