Fragrance Reviews from August 2011

sherapop's avatar
    sherapop

Fleurs de Nuit by Badgley Mischka

I do not understand the complaints about the name of Badgley Mischka FLEURS DE NUIT. Seems pretty straightforward to me: this is essentially a night-blooming jasmine quasi-soliflore. The jasmine definitely dominates the composition and makes this a white flower lovers-only perfume. FLEURS DE NUIT offers a big, stern, and relatively dry dose of only mildly indolic jasmine. The sillage and longevity are both excellent, and a little goes a long, long way.

I generally prefer more buttery, lush presentations of white flowers, as in MARC JACOBS and MJ ESSENCE, but FLEURS DE NUIT is nice, for what it is. (There is zero tuberose in FLEURS DE NUIT, so there's no point in comparing/contrasting it to FRACAS or CARNAL FLOWER.) Perhaps I should be glad that my 100ml will suffice for the rest of my life, as I would find it very difficult to part with the gorgeous bottle, one of the nicest I've seen. I usually keep my perfumes hidden away in the dark, but this one is so beautiful that I'm tempted to endanger the juice by putting the bottle out on display.

13 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2011)

Larimar's avatar
    Larimar
    Austria Austria

N'Aimez Que Moi by Caron

I feel it is quite a shame that this great classic (nearly 100 years old) enduring the challenges of times (with rather completely different tastes in the perfume market today etc.) gets very little mention and obviously very few reviews.
    It is very easy to dimiss this as musty and dated. Most of all, it has to do with the fact that today we hardly understand the nature of grand classic extraits de parfum that take their time to settle down and notes melting together on our skin, in order to create a dense, complex and rich olfactive experience.
    Violet is certainly an important contributor in here at times while the fragrance shifts, which makes it tricky territory for myself and also adds much to the dated feel. The dark musty rose with a slightly smoky (I can't help but thinking of a component this shares with Tabac Blond) musk don't really help to change the mood of this composition. Actually, this stage in its really long-drawn drydown, where the smokiness is clearly perceptible, is my very favorite. It is the almost nocturnal blend of these exquisite dark rosy facets with a violet candy touch, a distinctive vanilla (not too sweet) and exactly this smoky muskiness that is very alluring.
    N'aimez que moi is an old-world beauty from times bygone with class and eventually less innocence than the first two hours make you believe. Moderate sillage (elegant and comfortable) with very good longevity. Again, I only care for the extraits of the great Caron fountain perfumes. One last comparison: N'aimez que moi is far superior and interesting than Amouage Opus III to me.

13 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 26 August, 2011)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Only The Brave by Diesel

As well as you inhale the first sniff from your wrist you are dreadfully fisted by a pumping geyser of chemical-ozonic lemon plus synthetic suede and prickly spices (clove and cinnamon under my nose). In a while i detect a rising note of cedar that is sweet and salty-bitter at once. At this point of development the chemical link of cedar, spices, may be a touch of incense or galbanum and suede is a bit powdery and talky. Passing time the dust starts fading while the lemon persists stout and the fragrance becomes smoother with its final accord of musk, amber and benzoin (may be vanilla). I detect a touch of pepper in the composition. The final issue is a lemony and spicy woodsy soap too synthetic and artificial to be worn proudly at office or for a night out even if the smell becomes almost pleasant  many hours later when the chemical beat fades and the leathery-spicy touch emerges from the hell. The citrusy-spicy woodsy artificiality of OTB has similarities with the sinthetic contrasts (ozonic-citrusy liquidity against woodsy-soapy or powdery-milky notes) of some fragrances as Ultraviolet, Midnight Poison (which is anyway much more refined and changing) or Bang by Jacobs. The projection is impressive and turns out dangerously the smell of suede for hours and hours.

13 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2011)

Jermel's avatar
    Jermel

Eau Duelle by Diptyque

Hands down my most favorite fall scent. I love the spicy opening which greatly compliments the sweetness of the vanilla. I was actually saving for sublime vanille by Creed which is also beautiful. However, Eau Duelle is more affordable and (in my opinion) slightly better.

13 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2011)

MissMagic's avatar
    MissMagic
    Sweden Sweden

Breathless by Victoria's Secret

This sure is the ultimate clean-straight from the shower-scent for an amazingly good price (75ml for not more than $45) !! Smells like an classical soap with natural citrus-oils and lots of magical linden (lime-blossom). Clean Clean Clean. The most perfect soapy clean scent i've tried. Fresh as early green summer. Clean like the waters of north. A summer-maiden in a white cotton-dress. Pure natural blonde beauty. Like the cleanest linen and cotton-laundry drying in the summer-winds. Very long-lasting too. This was given to me as a gift, i would never had bought it as my experiences with Victoria's Secret-line hasn't been the best (fruity teen-scents). This is like nothing else in their line - and for all ages!! Love it!!

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

This is an incredibly complex scent composed of leather and tobacco notes as well as a gorgeous collections of florals and frankincense...when people speak of it as skanky I really don't get that as much as I get smoky. Chanel really hit it out of the park with Cuir de Russie, and if you like dark heroines from books like Anna Karenina, then Cuir De Russie is for you. This is probably one of the reasons that you came to Basenotes to begin with. Sample this one, this is part of the Chanel legend.

Nomader's avatar

Middle Notes
    Nutmeg, Sweet Lime, Ginger, Cinnamon

Base Notes
    Amber, White Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla

Ok, my first impression of this was a bit odd. I randomly fell upon the other reviews of this cologne, and decided that I loved all the notes in it. I went on eBay and found a SUPER cheap bottle, and crossed my fingers. First let me say that I absolutely LOVE this juice. As for the notes... the top was very much squeezed lemons in the middle of a forest. At first it scared me a bit, my mind mistakenly went to Pine-sol.. but after 1 minute, it quickly did a 180 and came back to the literal sense of lemons in a forest (which is actually quite nice). I'll also point out that the tops on this one are good, yet still my least favorite part of the scent (by the way, I got ZERO kumquat on the top). On we go, after about 45 mins on me, all of the other notes started to poke their heads in and out of the equation, it was kind of exciting. First it was just nutmeg and lemon... then it was nutmeg and ginger... then the best part, it turned into a key lime pie! All the while it carried a very refreshing minty cleanliness. After a few hours, the dry down slowly led to a typical oriental smooth finish. Lots of Vanilla, tonka, and a bit of musk. I would say this cologne is wearable in all seasons and climates. Probably spring/ summer/ fall though more than winter. I don't get too much spice on this one, but again, for some odd reason.. a bit of mint. Not the best cologne ever, but for this price... you can't fail. Cheers!

Ensoleille's avatar
    Ensoleille

New West for Him by Aramis

I love this scent on my husband. Not overly dramatic. The moss & patchouli compliment the calone without becoming overbearing. I am so glad that Aramis decided to bring it back.

Orpheus99's avatar
    Orpheus99

Loma Alta by Excelsis

Loma Alta opens with a lush, slightly sweet lemony citrus. The mid notes are quite nice gender neutral florals with the citrus moving into the background, but not disappearing altogether. The drydown is an ever so slightly spicy (sweet, not peppery spice) light musk. There is moderate projection on the top and middle notes, transitioning into more of a skin scent on the drydown. I can definitely see this working for both men and women. This is a versatile fragrance that is light enough for daytime or office wear, but complex enough to work for evening as well.

I am not a big fan of citrus fragrances, and up until now, the only one that has ever turned my head is Acqua di Parma Colonia. Citrus scents have a tendency to remind me of household cleaning products, particularly when they are of the sharp lemon variety. That's an unfortunate connotation that is really is no one's fault but my own (and the cleaning product industry). Much like Acqua di Parma, Loma Alta softens the sharpness of the citrus with sweet florals that elevate this fragrance far above the mundane realm of the common cleaner. I really like the basenotes on this too; the spice and musk keep things interesting, with the lingering florals preventing a shift too far into masculine territory. Loma Alta does a good job staying gender neutral throughout its evolution.

I clocked the longevity of this one at about 6 hours. By that point, it had faded into a very light powdery sweet smell that was still quite pleasant, although barely detectable.

This is the first fragrance I have tried from Excelsis, and I looking forward to seeing what else this house has to offer. This is quality stuff from beginning to end, many notches above the standard designer synthetic fare. In fact, I would rank this in the same league as some of the top niche fragrances I have tried. Loma Alta is definitely worth checking out. Grade: Solid A.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's avatar
    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Azure Lime by Tom Ford

I was hoping this would be a winner for me but ended up a disappointment. This fragrance lasts less than 3 hours on my skin and the lime scent in this fragrance quickly fades.

shamrocksalono's avatar
    shamrocksalono

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

I would have given this a thumbs up, but I am not in to the sweet scents. Play Intense is a decent fragrance for the younger crowd, but not something to be taken to seriously. It starts out very strong but gets better with the dry down. Overall impression sweet, sweet and sweet..and coffee. I will agree with one other post as well, it smells like oranges covered in chocolate. It is worth a shot, if you have a sweet tooth.

Cerel9's avatar
    Cerel9

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Simple explanation - old man smell.

Longer explanation - starts of with a very wet mix of ginger and tobacco and dries down to a very dry powdery old man smell. I can't quite identify the drydown other than that it is very mature smelling and clean (but old man clean if that makes sense). The other thing I should note is that the transition from opening to drydown (which takes about 30 min to an hour to occur) is very stark. The drydown of this is almost a completely different scent, so make sure you give it time before making your judgment.

divinesoul's avatar
    divinesoul
    India India

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

This gives me a very bad headache.

Not at all for me. Totally endorse SHAHEEN'S review . Please test this before buying

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Any of you eaten at a Chinese restaurant where they provide you napkins that are alike to wet tissues? Le Male smells exactly like those napkins. Horrendous!

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I was trying to find a replacement to my signature scent, which used to be Dunhill Desire Red.

What can i say? Embrace the lipstick notes!

*Pity it lasts only about 3-4 hours on me before becoming a skin scent (that is with 8 sprays, including on clothes)

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Amazing fragrance, power sillage and extreme longevity.

Just that for me myself, i have to be in the mood for this fragrance in order to wear it. Otherwise it could be a little nauseating, probably due to the kumquat.

I also find it hard to wear this frag for more than 3 consecutive days.

That aside, if you want sillage and longevity, this is one you will not regret.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

I'm a sucker for sweet frags. Especially those with good sillage and longevity.

One million is all of that, except it gets a little cloying if you use it consecutively for a few weeks. You will just somehow get sick of the synthetic smell (yes, coming from someone who likes sweet frags).

Then again, this gives you a good excuse to buy other frags.

Let the rotation begin!

Miracle by Lancôme

Good projection, good sillage.

Like many before, how this perfume smells is dependent on the wearer. I personally came across this on a heart-broken lady. It suited her and she brought it off well.

Its a "grey" kind of sweet perfume IMO.

notmenoeb's avatar
    notmenoeb
    Romania Romania

Moonwind by Avon

My encounter with Moonwind was through its fossil (i.e. an old bottle my mother had in the early eighties). The tall dark blue bottle fascinated me. It had a faint smell and I always wanted to try it myself. I finally managed to find two vintage Cologne bottles on ebay and I now have it. The scent does live up to its name - it is coldish, blueish, windy. It is not a sporty fragrance in my view, but an elegant, class one. I would say it is suitable for summer evenings, long walks in the breezy atmosphere right before sunset. If it were available in edp it would be a splendour, unfortunately only the eau de cologne is available. I thought that being an Avon product it were more easily available, but I was wrong. They should relaunch this fragrance and easily eliminate some boring, candy-florals they market nowadays.

ChoppedGarlic's avatar
    ChoppedGarlic
    Greece Greece

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

This is marketed as feminine? What? This is as manly as it gets.

Strong woods/herbal/pepper concoction. Dark but not insufferable, just on the edge. Very Lutenesque imo, as it is original, high quality and difficult to wear for most people. Probably the type of fragrance you admire, but you never get around to wear much.

Mario-K's avatar
    Mario-K
    Poland Poland

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

Great, great scent. It's light, but sooo sexy. I wish similar fragrance for man. If I won't find, will start with woman's version. Love it!

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar
    GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR

Royall Vetiver by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Total unabashed rip off of Guerlain's Vetiver, but at a higher price! i kid you not. Wtf?

Thumbs up becauee it smells great, which is not surprising since they just transferred guerlain vetiver from the modern bottle to the retro royall one...

Notreveh's avatar
    Notreveh
    Brazil Brazil

Metalys / Metallica by Guerlain

Metallica, now called Metalys, due to copyright issues that were confronting the band Metallica, as a friend in here already said, has an opening that goes exactly against his name.

This one starts with a metallic tone, present only in old collectible non polished objects, (very well observed by a person here) which trough time, mixes with carnation, giving the typical feminine floral aspect aspect to this fragrance.

But in my view, the highlight of this fragrance is in the base. After about five hours, we then have a complete aromatic change, with the appearance of iris followed by a soft vanilla tone that reaches an almost creamy aspect, thanks to tonka bean which also makes its appearance.

Wise Owl's avatar
    Wise Owl

Police Dark by Police

Upon first application you get, to my nose, a very strong liquorice-like aroma. This tends to last 3-4 hours before it then settles down into a very pleasant, sweet, but musky kind of smell. The initial blast can be quite off-putting, but if you're prepared to persevere with it the end results are worth it. Definitely a love or hate fragrance though so be sure to try for yourself before you buy.

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

Unbound for Men by Halston

This strong aquatic seemed to have such promise from my sample vial, but only after buying two minis did I start to notice its drawbacks; I think the juice was different. From a mini, the comparisons with Acqua di Gio are obvious; even out of the splash bottle I recognize the same salty sharpness of seaweed-plus-flowers. Here, though, there's a lot of that Cucumber Melon Body Wash thing going on, which makes a noticeable difference--not with any sweetness but with a sickly dose of stagnant rubbery vegetables. I remember less harsh sharpness and more pleasant fruitiness (i.e. more accurate melon) from the sample vial, hence everyone's comments about watermelon. The melon is still here in the mini, but as such a thin, metallic caricature of itself that it's just depressing. By the end, the base is such a sour, sappy mess that I can't believe I bought 15 mL of the stuff at less than $1/mL. And if I'm right in thinking that my vial smelled better than my two minis, such a huge inconsistency should not occur in a low-end designer fragrance because it's built from mostly inexpensive synthetics. If you want AdG, just get AdG...hell, I like it and I admit it. If you want more fruit, get Hugh Parsons Traditional or spring for Millesime Imperial. If you want more storms and seaweed, get Bulgari Aqua. All are great aquatics, and none are super expensive.

Mike's avatar
    Mike

Windsor by Creed

I recently sampled Windsor at Bloomingdale's in the US, as it is not available here in Canada. To put it simply, this is a much more rounded, refined, and well-blended version of Burberry Brit for Men! At 6 times the price of Brit, and due it only being available in the 250 mL flacon, I cannot see myself ever owning this, though it is quite lovely.

moondeva's avatar
    moondeva

Havana pour Elle by Aramis

(provisional review)

Top notes: magnolia, citrus, tagetes, sunflower and queen of the night (the flower of a cactus native to Cuba and Jamaica which only flowers at night);
    Heart notes: Daphne, mango, pineapple and orchid;
    Base notes: (Tobacco leaf), vanilla, amber, (cedar) and sandalwood.

Havana pour elle is an exotic southern fragrance, full of moist warmth. In the Northern hemisphere (cooler climes or A/C environs) this beauty is often misunderstood. In colder weather Havana pour Elle is a very tart astringent woody floriental with the tobacco and stark white woods dominating the olfactory landscape in a manner that sails very close to masculine without ever crossing the line. Other times the fruit seems to dominate... lush moist and in an odd juxtaposition with the tobacco and white florals - close to rotting. An almost candied, caramelised sweetness which is a common aspect of blends featuring tropical fruits like pineapple and mango.

Too youthful, wild and tempetuous to be grouped with the elegant grand dame tobaccos such as Caron Tabac Blond and Gres Cabochard; But at the same time too innately sophisticated and elegant to be brushed off with youth focused tobacco blends like Escada Collection and Cacharel Gloria, poor Havana pour elle has been neglected and overlooked by many because it is so hard to categorise.

Well my one tip for being able to access all the beauty that this little gem has within is to reserve it for one of the warmer days of the year when you will be out and about ... or when you will be in a situation where your body temperature will be raised a little more than normal. If you do this you will be amazed at the transformation. This is the scent of sexy, sensual, seductive senoritas. Lush, floral yet astringent, the tobacco mingled with its balsamic amber vanilla base will lead you into all kinds of amorous adventures and dreams of amour.

I love the Tango and to me Havana pour elle is the olfactory equivalent of my favourite tango piece (The Assassin's Tango by John Powell). Just listen to that and you will understand truly what Havana pour Elle is about. This is not a scent for a painfully elegant, repressed Grande Dame, nor is it a scent for her wilful, immature peer driven granddaughter. This is not even for the woman stuck in suburbia in an endless rat race of carpools, rival yummy mummys and worthy pursuits. This is for the sultry, sensual seductress in us all. Full bodied, lush, passionate with many appetites that are fully explored, enjoyed and indulged.

The sillage is moderate to strong, (best not to apply too generously) and the longevity is much better than average. I wore it day and night for three days straight during a recent warm spell and still crave it even though the current cooler weather will not allow it to shine in all its glory.

Thumbs up up up! 5 out 5

jason_newton's avatar
    jason_newton

Pasha by Cartier

Finally got around to buying this. Its almost twenty years since I last bought it. Still smells wonderful. Maybe the kind of thing an older guy would wear. it smells rich and sophisticated in the way the Cartier fragrances from the 80's/90's typify.

When I last bought this back in 1993, it came in a very expensive (all silver) refillable bottle. That's gone now - a reflection of a new age but luckily the scent smells the same.

Wonderful, heady stuff!

jason_newton's avatar
    jason_newton

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

What can I say about this masterpiece?

This is maybe the best fragrance ever created. A timeless classic.

bookwyrmsmith's avatar
    bookwyrmsmith

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

This fragrance reminds me in the topnotes of Coty Sand&Sable -tuberose and a soft powdered gardinia . Then more powdery notes which I thought were violet -turns out it is a SWEET orange blossom and hyacinth combining .Now it smells more like White Shoulders (not a favorite of mine).
    This is recomended if you like POWDERY ,SWEEEET FLORALS!!
    Tatiana is not to my taste .I passed the bottle to my mother (who does like White Shoulders)and who can sometimes wear scents that won't work on me It's a mystery how skin chemistry and hormone levels play in fragrance wearing.

14 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2011)