Fragrance Reviews from August 2011

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The fragrance has an woody opening chord mixed with notes of rum, giving a semi sweet tone to the fragrance, which in my opinion, is fantastic!

After a few hours, rum aroma gives way to a more resinous scent followed by oak which persists to the end. It lasted 12 hours on my skin.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

An explosive combo of honey / amber accompanied by notes of tobacco. Simply sensational! I finally found the perfect scent for occasions that require a suit and tie, and are not very formal.

It is not a projection monster but the longevity exceeds 20 hours on my skin.
    To conclude: it was worth every penny. I really recommend everyone to at least try this piece of art.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I will speak now, quickly, how, in my point of view, Fahrenheit was created.

Launched in 1988, under the creative direction of Jean-Louis Sieuzac and Maurice Roger, the creation process of this fragrance became clear almost instantly when I felt it today, for the very first time!

Dior executives called these two perfumers, put them in a movie theater and began to exhibit the movie Over the Top. Yes, that movie where Sylvester Stallone incarnates the role of Lincoln Hawk, a trucker whose life was a failure in both personal and professional way, and which at present was carrying loads throughout the United States, while claiming the custody of his son, now in the hands of his rich grandfather. Without forgetting the roadside bars where in his spare time, he earns money with a drop-in-arm challenge.

Well, after the end of the film, the executives turned for both perfumers and spoke: "Did you see this explosion of testosterone in the movie?! It is exactly this atmosphere that we want to catch in our next creation!"

So, months later, in 1988 the fragrance Fahrenheit was launched in the market, a completely innovative scent for the standards of that time! A perfume that when applied, left on my skin for a good two hours, the smell of oil and kerosene. Do you know when someone is working in a car for the whole day and at the end of this day, he's smelling like engine fluids?! Well, this is exactly the smell of this fragrance! Incredible, I had never felt anything like it before!

Over time, the fragrance also develops like the movie Over the top, where the main character decides to take a more peaceful path in his life, and is in this moment that starts to appear in the fragrance, a new character.

We now have Stallone Cobra!
    A fragrance which then acquires a more reserved sense, but without losing 5% of its masculinity.

In this final part of the fragrance, we have the emergence of a fresh floral base, supported by notes of leather. We don't have the Tuff guy from the first movie anymore, but something more reserved, but always maintaining the masculinity, always keeping the law of its initial creation that is the exact power, the surgical precision that distinguish between perfection exaggeration.

And that's how even after restatements, Fahrenheit persists. A fragrance that is not ashamed to show itself. A fragrance made to embody the 80's masculinity. A fragrane which to me, even 22 years after its release, remains unbeaten among the most acclaimed men's fragrance, a true work of timeless art.

Iquitos by Alain Delon

The Foetidus's review is exaustive and clarifying, the soaring and airy effect of aldehydes in a first time and from patchouli later are able to soar higher and higher the influence of spices, citrus, aromatic-coniferous elements and woods in order to push up a wonderful indentend and chaotic initial dust. A central heart of rose-jasmine, spices and woods holds on the chaos. This phase is immediately obscure and in a few time animalic because of the final woodsy base of musk, leather, amber, vetiver and moss. The shadows are dreadful, the sweetness is faint, a touch of smoothness (coconut/vanilla) softens the blend and the dark sultry rose starts finally to stand over the podium. Excellent.

21st August, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

A very disappointing generic smelling scent from Polo. It was as if RL tries to please everyone and instead pleases none fully. I don't get any originality here at all, and if this fragrance-by-poll scent is going to smell similar to every other "sport" scent, why bother? Pass on this one. 2 stars out of 5.

21st August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th December, 2012)

drseid's avatar

Virgin Island Water by Creed

This is what Calypso Homme should have smelled like. Virgin Island Water is a pleasant tropical coconut scent with hints of lime. Limited as to where you can wear it (maybe a tropical island vacation?), but well-made and very pleasant smelling. I can't give this a thumbs up due to its limited usefulness and it is not really my cup of tea, but if you are looking for a high quality tropical scent and money is no object, Virgin Island Water is a good choice with a rating of 3 stars out of 5.

21st August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28th December, 2012)

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Arabie, as said, is an exotic and sirupy spicy oriental that grounds its main feature over the influence of the deeply sweet pungency of burnt sugar and dried fruits as dates, figs and candied citrus. The absence of flowers aside the tornado of spices enhances the depth of the smell. This almost gourmand blend is indeed flavoured by a deep dust of spices (nutmeg and cumin the stars) and a touch of smoke that turn the smell as an edible stuff enriched by balsams and resins and pushed in the territories of dark mistery by the final accord of labdanum. The outcome is a luxuriant potion that expresses the changeability of the real royal orientals. Arabie is like an opulent place your are scared to get in while feeling yourself inappropriate to stand inside cause your clothes and the status you represent  hardly fit to the regal ambience. Some initial dry woody and green aromatic notes root the fragrance barely few centimetres before the gourmand territories balancing in part the excess of syrup. The note of cedar on the flank of smoke insert a touch of dry bitterness well combined with the sweety pungency of dried fruits. The featuring intensely sweet but at once candied , cooked and dry-bitter temperament is mainly exuded by the combination of date, burnt syrup, nutmeg and tonka, that's the Arabie's soul, namely an aged, complex, dark kind of rum. I remember to have perceived Arabie, many years ago, as one of the most dreadfully intriguing and obscure Lutens's concoctions, even more than Ambre Sultain and Fumerie Turque. Obvioulsly Arabie is for many oppressive and claustrophobic but this is its role and nothing citric, watery, rooty or breezing is  demanded for that.

21st August, 2011 (Last Edited: 12th March, 2014)

sherapop's avatar

Rose Poivrée by The Different Company

I smell no civet in ROSE POIVREE, but a huge dose of cumin. My references for civet are JOY and FIRST; my references for cumin, well, the kitchen! Perhaps synthetic civet has a cuminesque cast? Or maybe civet + coriander reacts to produce a cumin facsimile? Hmmm...

It's also possible that the names have been confused, and there really is plain old cumin in this composition. Anyway, cumin is never subtle--whether in perfumery or cuisine--and I find the quasi-cumin note so marked in the opening of this composition that it somewhat mangles the rose. Unfortunately, as the cumin fades to the point of being tolerable, the rose pretty much dies out. (Death by cumin?)

Well, this is not something that I have any real desire to smell like, and there's no dearth of rose perfumes out there, so I can safely move on...

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This one opens with a slightly fruity and very velvety aroma guaranteed by damask and suede, this note of animal origin, which is very evident trough the whole life of this fragrance! Also from the opening, I can also smell the scent of iris, but not a very dominant one as in Dior Homme, with that makeup smell. Here, the iris only contributes to give more texture to the obvious aroma of suede.

Over time, the scent does not change much. It just decreases the suede, leaving the scent with it's character more focused on the feminine side.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

This fragrance whispers class, elegance! It has an opening with grapefruit and ginger, but with a tropical vibe into it, with a reminiscent aroma of coconut. An opening that is almost like a drink combining all these notes.

Imagine this drink being taken at the same time you enjoy a good pipe, with a mixture of a not so strong tobacco leafs, something very soft and pleasant. This is the heart of this fragrance, where there is also a very evident amber note giving a sweet aspect to it.

A delight! The only problem with this fragrance is the longevity. After 4 or 5 hours The One drops out of the skin.

Jody's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

So, I went to purchase a COMPLETELY different fragrance at my local fragrance store. I tried chergui again because I really wanted to like it. Well, I didn't like it, I LOVED IT!!! The sample that I got smelled like silly putty ( anyone remember that plasticky nasty smell ) so you can imagine my horror. The shop owner, obviously very schooled in fragrance, explained to me that the samples most companies send are watered down for price, or maybe just old. Whatever the reason, this one was great! So great in fact that the woman shopping next to me loved it too. AND, I do believe this will be my second bottle of SL.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Cerruti Image Fresh Energy by Cerruti

I like this!

A couple years ago I was doing a quick "fly-by" of the Marshalls bargain bin fragrances and I saw this-- it was super cheap, but I'd have to buy it blind. To be honest, I never really thought Image was anything special (and it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth after a few years of relative popularity-- it reminded me a lot of Azzaro Chrome, which is another scent that bores me).

OK, on to this one. I had to run some errands today and I hit myself a few times with Image Fresh Energy before leaving the house. First off, the bottle is tasteful and relaxed looking. The actual nozzle mechanism is one of the coolest-- you depress the lever on the top, which leans sideways to the right and the juice sprays out the left side. It's a very satisfying design.

As to the juice. As with the original Image, this one is very SOFT. I think that's one of the reasons I sometimes thought of it as boring. It has no sharp edges, but it's just gentle, relaxing and cool-- like some soap I used in childhood. As I was doing my errands I kept picking up random whiffs of something amazing, but I didn't think it was me. Finally after smelling this fruity, sweet almost plummy accord in three separate locations throughout the day, I realized that it was definitely from the Image Fresh Energy. Yes, there is something narcotic in there that tickles me like Versace's The Dreamer and Lagerfeld's JAKO (another underrated gem).

This is a very green, mild scent-- and where some scents seem to quicken my pulse and make me hyper-- despite this having the word "Energy" in the name-- I find this to be a very, very relaxing fragrance to wear. It actually calms me down a bit from my usual high-strung state to where I can actually focus and be productive.

Cerruti Image Fresh Energy is not a scent that is ever going to set the fragrance world on fire, but if you have a chance to try it-- or even get it blind at a low price, go for it. It makes a very nice "vacation" scent for those days when you want something a bit low-key and laid back, yet very nice smelling.

Very nice stuff!

Companion Cube's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Love this Stuff... Absolutely the most amazing a*men ever made... If they don't remake this stuff thierry mugger is the dumbest company every... Anyway it starts out like a cherries and whiskey... Then as it drys down the berry starts to fad and a sweet leathery chocolate is in the air... Longevity on this stuff is amazing last all day on my skin which is terrible with longevity.... One of if not the best Fragrance on my fragrance shelf.

Original Vetiver by Creed

Absolutely wonderful. My wife loves this scent-- which says a lot because she usually doesn't form many opinions about my fragrances. OV has a distinct clean scent. Very green, but very satisfying. It is definitely on my "to-buy" list.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

This is a very distinct scent in my opinion. I can pick it out of a room of people--it really makes a scent memory. I really don't like this fragrance, it is robust and overly offensive to my senses. The only way i can describe it is as thick. When I first smelled it, it felt like i was drinking it-- i could feel it in my throat as it lingered. It reminds me of a sweet Schnapps mixed with eggnog. not my kind of scent.

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

A warm spicy, pipe-tobacco like scent. It is comforting. Bought it in Hawaii and tried to tie the memory of the trip to the scent. It worked perfectly. Every time I wear it, my wife and I feel like we're back on the North Shore of Oahu. Highly recommended for its inoffensive intensity. It could make a wolverine purr.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

I do not dislike it, but as hard as I tried, I never could like it either, is totally blah to me, it does not get me enthusiastic about it, it just doesn't do it for me. Too fruity, too subdued, low sillage and longevity is poor.
    If I have to describe as a color I would have said grey.
    On the other hand, is not awful by any means, so a neutral vote from me.

jujy54's avatar

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

This is a review for Mayotte, which some say is Mahora in a new bottle. I don't get a green opening, it is a neroli/floral blast from the get go, but the other notes match

That said, I "like" Mayotte, but for what I paid, I should love it. The tuberose/ylang-ylang/frangipani heart is lovely, causing me to think I like florals more than I realize, but I seem to become anosmic to it in minutes. Can't smell it on my wrist at all, but it lingers under my shirt. Unfortunately, sticking one's nose down the neck of one's own top to get a sniff would be considered horrendously bad manners.

I got the 4.1 oz (125 mL) "bee bottle" with no atomizer, along with a "complimentary" refillable purse spray bottle. I find dabbing some straight from the bottle onto a half a wad of cotton and tucking that into my bra does give the fragrance a little more presence.

Lesson learned: stay away from those scary sales assocs at Bergdorf's, and get a decant of anything pricey from The Perfumed Court and live with it for a few days before deciding on a purchase.

In some ways, Mayotte reminds me of Panthére de cartier, tho a bit creamier, plus PdC has better sillage and staying power. Maybe I'll layer and see what happens.

RicardVonLowen's avatar

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Giorgio caused a sensation when it was launched. I remember my mother coming home from a trip to New York in the mid-eighties. She and her best friend Olivia had both been sprayed at a department store with Giorgio, and I remember she said that EVERYONE would ask her what she was wearing. Even the cab driver, she remarked, asked us what perfume we had on. It was, and still is, a unique fragrance. Flowery to be sure, and yes it can be cloying, but certainly it ranks as one of the most unique and readily recognized fragrances of all time. Right up there with No. 5, Eternity, Opium, and Angel.

dressyguy's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I like it. ( I don't loveit) I like it . for me it sorta smells like a bakery. or a chocolate chip cookie. it is definately one of the better see ones I have.

Red Theodora's avatar

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

I am torn on my opinion of Y. Now, first I must say the sample I have is the current formulation of the edt. I don't get any fruity notes at the top, just a massive whiff of alcohol. But after the alcohol clears away, the heart is very nice. All cool green and fresh. The oakmoss at the base is the star for me (love my oakmoss!).
    Y is a very well-proportioned fragrance and it has the YSL elegance to it, but I still find it spinsterish. Which is odd coming from me because I have been such a fan of perfumes others have considered dated and old-fashioned.

spice's avatar

Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume

So faithful that I got the memory of a place I stayed before recognizing the smell as burning leaves - I didn't register at the time that that was what I was smelling there, this made me realise.

alfarom's avatar

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Bijan for Men is not simply a powerhouse, is more like the Tsar Bomb. It doesn't remarks its presence, it yells at you and after slapping you in your face it asks "so what?"

A loud, intrusive and arrogant concoction of nutmeg, herbs and spices laying on a "chypre-y" structure (oakmoss/bergamot). If moderately applied it's very masculine and (somehow) elegant but one single spray too much and it will be like announcing your presence with a fart.

waftbycarol's avatar

Sirocco by Lucien Lelong

Created by Jean Carles and very much related to his masterpiece Shalimar , Sirocco is very under-appreciated . It opens witha lavender-vanilla accord ( similar to Caron Pour un Homme ( released the same year ) but the rich amber-patchouli base soon comes forward . There is a small floral heart , but this is all about the incensey opopponax and patchouli drydown . It is the patchouli that saves this from becoming too rich and sweet , and the longevity is excellent .
    The older , twisted bottles of dark jus are much richer , the newer , long necked bottles are a little vapid .

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

Indeed a classy fragrance. I do not like to use that word but it just reeks of chique'ness. Very James Bond. A Tom Ford suit, Omega Seamaster watch, pretty lady at your side and killing it at a poker game. Need I say more?

When you need to dress to impress this is what you need to top it all off.

Geldachron's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I wish I was able to get away with wearing this. I'm afraid I'll just have to wait another 20 years or so. I do love it. Vintage but still pretty stylish.

verycharlie's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

When I first spray L'Ombre dans L'Eau I get a really promising and exciting blast of greenness- like I'm walking by the Riverside on a sunny day & suddenly find I'm in a spot of deep tree shade and I've got to bush-bash my way through a rough patch of tall, overgrown weeds and brambles with a stick, getting wet green stains on the bottom of my jeans. I like it.

This phase lasts exactly a minute. Then a revolting, shrill, fizzy sweet blackcurrent note drills it's way directly to the migraine centre of my brain...and basically keeps drilling until I wash it off...I appreciate that the green and earthy elements remain in play, but for me they are just a meaningless jarring background to the blinding, screaming laser beam of synthetic blackcurrent fizz. If there is rose I can't smell it.

I am very much with Foetidus on this one, I get relentless 'pinkpurple' and a nasty sweetness, although for me it's fizzy rather than syrupy. Maybe there's one particular note that I react to really badly.....perhaps Angelica as Sherapop says in her review...whatever it is I'd love to know so I can avoid it in future. I did give it a good try and had more than one go at wearing it.

I may be an untrained nose and this may be my first review, however I can confidently say that for me L'Ombre dans L'Eau is a traumatic experience.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Another great exotic-dark amber out there that i place on the side of Ambra Nera Farmacia SS. Annunziata, Ambre Precieux from Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Scent Intense, Ambre Absolute Tom Ford and Shalimar. As already underlined this fragrance, despite turning out  endly dense and warm, is not caramellous or excessively resinous because of the balancing role played by the initial blast of  green, aromatic and camphoraceous elements, because of the dry-balsamic kind of patchouli, because of the taming role of the immediately bursting hand of spices, the absence (or minimal usage of) vanilla, the delicacy of myrrh and benzoin, the central influence of sandalwood and the moderate support of resins and balsams. Finally the note of amber lords all over the elements but the presence of camphoraceous, coniferous, almost mentholated elements (angelica, coriander, bay leaf) still plays a fundamental role on the flank of sharp sandalwood and patchouli and this combination controls the level of sweetness and sultriness reminding me the similar combination of the elements (coniferous-resinous-aromatic) expressed by Ambra Nera, one of my absolute favourites. The link of spices and aromatics-camphoraceous  produces a sort of incensey-woodsy effect persistent till the end. In  the final outcome the green, woodsy and musky notes surround the amber controlling the sultriness and keeping a certain level of boise'. The link of the over mentioned elements with spices and patchouli produces a sort of final slightly bitter-sweety undertone as well as some dates would appear in the composition. Ambre Sultan is surely a less sultry, edible and resinous composition than Arabie and it's able to stop there where Arabie proudly goes beyond with its brew of macerated fruits, its smokey beat, the overdosed resins and the final sugary-gummy  labdanum accord. Ambre Sultan is an opulent fragrance paradoxically versatile, bold and modern (namely neither too modern-chic nor too decadent) and its balancements, the tenacity and changeability render it a great contemporary concoction.

Safetyjon's avatar

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

To my nose, Loewe is a cross between Aramis' Tuscany (which I love) and Bogart PH (which I don't really care for).

Loewe's opening includes the bergamot of Tuscany with the rosemary and lemon of Bogart. All three share geranium in the middle. Loewe shares the patchouli of Tuscany and the leather & moss of Bogart.

While I find Bogart to be much too sharp /green for me to wear comfortably, I can wear Loewe PH. It is a nice fragrance that is wearable. Although it does share some similarities to Tuscany (one of my all-time favorites), it also shares too many similarities to Bogart. Hence, the neutral rating.

lilyboy's avatar

L'Autre by Diptyque

i think this is my first review :)

well, if this humble thumbs up saves this along with l' eau trois from being totally phased out from this earth then so be it..

if you hate curry-like spices you will most probably not like this

otherwise this is a warm comforting weirdly elegant scent

i dont wear it out but it is one of my favorite private comfort scents, or simply said one of my favorites

i ordered this unsniffed and asked my friend who went abroad to bring it home for me and when i opened it to smell, i immediately had two exclamations in my mind, "o shit she's gonna hate this!! <lol>" and the other was "damn, this is everything i read and dreamed and hoped it would be!!"