Fragrance Reviews from August 2011

Jermel's avatar

Les Nombres d'Or : Vanille by Mona di Orio

This is my most favorite vanilla scent so far. The best part is the dry down. The top notes of bitter orange and rum are super yummy. However, the top notes disappear very quickly revealing a luscious vanilla, vetiver, and amber scent. About 2 hours later, there is just a gorgeous vanilla scent left. I would sample from lucky scents first but I think it's the most sexy unisex vanilla on the market.

nightcutter's avatar

In White by J del Pozo

Great fragrance.

A sharp but creamy vanilla with lovely florals.

Can easily be worn by a guy.

One of my favourites.

Wise Owl's avatar

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

Smells like a low budget Davidoff Echo. Has the same metallic note to it, but isn't quite as sweet. A fairly decent everyday fragrance if you want to smell clean and not draw much in the way of attention to yourself. Not bad, but you can get so much better even at this kind of price.

Buysblind's avatar

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

My favorite gourmand fragrance.

Pure Malt opens with a strong whiskey note at the top, that is slightly fruity as well, and quickly blends into a heart of rich, smooth caramel and chocolate. Beneath the chocolate and caramel one can detect a dark, lush vanilla. This composition creates a unique, sweet fragrance with remarkable depth. Due to its depth and balance the sweetness associated with pure malt does not smell cheap or synthetic in any way. Instead, it may remind you of a lavish dessert served with after-dinner liqueurs in a fine restaurant. As the booze fades the dessert-like composition takes center stage and persists for hours, supported by a background of soft woods (oakmoss and patchouli) which emerge during the dry-down.

This is an extremely inviting fragrance that begs others to get close and bask in its rich, comforting aura. It works wonders in the colder months as a date scent or for nights spent on the couch watching a movie with your S.O. It is not nearly as harsh or abrasive as the original A*Men (no tar or coffee notes, patchouli is reduced considerably) and unless over-applied, it is difficult to imagine Pure Malt offending anyone.

Projection is very good and the longevity is excellent. I can only imagine someone disliking this if they are averse to any kind of sweet fragrances, as it is fairly sweet.

Pure Malt is highly sought after for good reason. Few fragrances are as equally delicious and wearable, unique yet familiar, enticing and comforting. To put it plainly: It just smells good.

Leilahdancer's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

This one is a different fragrance, that's for sure. It started off very nutty to me, like coconut macaroons or hazelnut coffee. I didn't pick up any floral scent at all. That lasted for quite a while, then moved into a more floral tone, but still earthy and a bit nutty yet. Then the base slid into vanilla/chocolate and it's lovely now. The sillage is amazing! I love that someone four feet away gets it, but with three sprays from a sample vial, it's not overpowering.

I really like the final stage, but it took 7 hours to get here! This stuff must last forever!

I really love some gourmands, but I don't prefer to smell like a cookie. Especially for the price of Black Orchid.

I love the sillage, and the longevity. Just wish I like the top and middle better. Neutral from me.

Mr. Smell Great!!!!'s avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

I really love this fragrance. So much that i purchased two 3.4 oz on accident. A little bit of this goes a long way, so be sure not to over do it. I am in the office as i am entering this review and the ladies love it. Its somewhat of a throw back, but trust me you cant do better than Versace Dreamer. Its a mainstay in my collection. If anyone is in the market for a brand new unwrapped box let me know and we can do a swap or payment for it.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Somehow I managed between 1988 and about 2006 not to have to smell Cool Water. I have managed to smell the generations of clones and wanna-be's since, and was just waiting to hate Cool Water. But you know what? This stuff is copied for a reason. It's really spectacular.

I'm in the enviable position Luca Turin refers to in The Guide. I don't have to associate this with half the male population of the 80s-90s. Smelling CW in this context is a great lesson in perfume history. If a new aroma technology is introduced with intelligence and artistry, it changes the status quo. I know that compositionally CW is a contemporary variation on the fougere, but qualitatively I think it's something distinct. This, followed by a slew of copy-cats, means a whole new genre. And I guess like the original Chypre and Fougere Royale, the first can remain the best.

Patchouli Precieux / Patchouli Antique by Les Néréides

Vanilla and musk tell you exactly the tone Patchouli Antique means to strike. In its favor, it's lovely and smooth, emphasizing the rich, powdery-dusty side of patchouli. The downside for us perfume thrill-seekers is that from the first sniff I felt that I knew exactly where PA was headed. And I was right. Still, if you just want to relax into your patch, PA does the trick.

30th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

This stuff is embarrassingly generic: a copy of a copy of a copy. Violet leaf note? Check. Watery musk? Check. Ultra-artificial citrus? Check.

For once, I'm going to blame the consumer rather than the designer. If we didn't buy this crap, the designers would get the message that they can't get away with merely imitating the fragrance du jour. But buy them we do and they keep on coming. At least copy something good. Apparently the only scents the perfumers have sampled are Acqua di Gio, Curve, Chrome, Fierce and Cool Water.

I've run out of adjectives...

Also, what in the world does this wimpy concoction have to do with New York City, the skyline, the hustle, Downtown, Uptown?

30th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2011)

vilt's avatar

Les Nombres d'Or - Oud by Mona di Orio

After reading all tempting reviews of people who have tried the samples, I was eagerly waiting for mine. After opening a bottle and sniffing it first - I didn't get anything special - just some kind of perfume, which was hard to describe. But....it revealed itself after it touched my skin! Rich, sophisticated, mysterious, erotic, sensual, it's a smell with a character. It also pulses, changes all the time - at first it reminded me of Guerlain Samsara but much lighter or Mona's other perfume - Musc, then it reincarnated itself into osmanthus I guess and at some point it had almost reached the scent that I call quite plastic and at this little moment I was afraid it would stay like that, but it didn't. (Interesting to note that osmanthus revealed itself so powerful only on the first day I was wearing Oud, all other days its scent was quite week, overdominated by musc and oud. And I kind of miss that strong note of osmanthus sometimes, though at first I wished it disappeared quicker. So whether you like it or not, this perfume is the one that builds a relationship with you). It continued to open and get more and more rich with oudth, musc, amber... and at that moment I understood it's mine, that's what I was afraid of most when ordering several samples from Mona - that I would like most the most expensive scent..
    It's longetivity is enormous - even after shower I could smell it on my wrist. And after a night there was still something present there - not really a smell, but more intense sense of warmth on that spot - it's like sensing the warmth of the human body in a chilly weather..
    All my love goes to Mona's Oud.

30th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 06th September, 2011)

Maharanih by Nicolaï

The basic sketch of this perfume (orange, lavender, and amber) could be steered in a number of directions. Those elements would suggest harmony to me. But then again I'm not Patricia de Nicolai. Maharanih is all about angles and contrasts. It's loud and actually rather rough. The contrasts are not so much intriguing as unresolved. The notes struggle against one another and never enhance each other.

The ongoing conflict means there's not a lot of development over the course of Maharanih. Loud and constant. Unfortunately, this gives Maharanih more the feel of a parfum d'ambiance than something you'd want to wear.

I find there's something similar both in tone and in composition between Maharanih and de Nocolai's Patchouli Homme. Their effect is that they sit on you, not that you wear them. I've never quite been able to wear them comfortably, though I've worn each a good number of times.

30th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 08th September, 2011)

Terre de Bois by Miller Harris

If you started an equilateral triangle with Chanel Pour Monsieur and Comme des Garcons Vettiveru, the third point would be Terre de Bois. It's a scratchy, woody take on the eau de cologne. The blustery, citric-sage start is a bit misleading. Terre de Bois goes quiet very quickly, but can be sensed up close for hours. The name nails it though. There's the feel of soil from the patchouli and the woody tone of the vetiver. The herbs enhance both, and the feel is specific; not leafy, not grassy, not mossy. Just dirt and trees.

TdB smells 'natural' in that all of its parts are recognizably botanical, but it has a very balanced use of its elements. Nothing vague or blurred.

At a glance, TdB is autumnal and handsome. I bet it'd be wonderful against type in a frilly-pretty springtime setting.

30th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 08th September, 2011)

Marathon Alchemist's avatar

Aspen for Men by Coty

To me this smells almost identical to Green Irish Tweed.

30th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2011)

mesaboogie's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

If Daniel Craig's version of James Bond in Casino Royale wore cologne, this would be it. He'd be sporting this cologne in his white tuxedo while driving that Aston Martin through the moonlit streets of Italy with beautiful Vesper Lynd riding shotgun. He'd be on his way to a high stakes poker tournament against the evil Frenchman LeChifre (who is probably wearing Le Male). This cologne is classy, yet overtly masculine. There's no powdery softness, vanilla sweetness, or aquatic watery smell to this cologne...just leathery, boozy, suave sexiness. Juicy Couture made sure to let you know that this is for men. And not sissy men either. I asked two girls at work to tell me what they thought about this cologne. One girl said it smelled like a man whore in a good way and the other said it smelled like Collin Farrel. Both acceptable answers in my book.

The bottle itself looks like a bad ass. It's got a bandanna looking leather necklace type charm with faux chains around the cap. Speaking of the bottle, this is one of the coolest bottles I've ever seen. It's HEAVY and feels substantial. It's also classy looking, with that distinct, charm covered cap, which goes on with a nice metallic clink. The cologne itself is a dark scotch color, further alluding to it's masculinity. The most prominent note to me is the leather. The longevity is around 6-8 hours on me and projects pretty well.

To sum it up, this a manly, long lasting, unique smelling cologne. If you are trying to give the impression that you are a faithful, honest, monogamous man who sees women as God's gift to men and not just disposable pleasures, then I suggest you stay away from this cologne. This is Collin Farrel's cologne.

30th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th November, 2011)

Obsession by Calvin Klein

The part that i prefer is the dry down for sure, the stage in which the generic and intensely sweety fruity-floral initial wave (jasmine, orange blossom, rose and peach) starts to be combined and enveloped in a less sweety but warm, spicy and sensual base that reminds a bit the after smell of the womanly sweat mixed with floral deodorants. In the course of the final stage the note of amber is starring, the note of sandalwood impresses woody taste and stableness to the general warmth, a touch  of green exudes from blend, the floral notes go merging and receding in order to let a legacy of sophistication and rosey indolence, the spices start working while a human link of musk-civet gives bodily warmth and a touch of "laundry-cosmetic" to the all whole concoction. Faint longevity. Uncompromisingly feminine.

30th August, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd December, 2013)

CoL's avatar

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

Outstanding 'cologne' type fragrance with a little modern twist. Think of 4711 with more depth and character. It also seems to last and project like and EDT, BONUS!! Just adore the stuff.

weylin's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

An excellent lemon fragrance on par (to me) with Eau Sauvage.
    The oak-moss stands out and gives this great character.
    A true classic.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Citrus and floral top notes, drying down to slightly smoky tea with a bit of musk. This fragrance has a linear dry down, bordering on flat, which I find fresh, masculine and clean. This scent can be worn at any time but it has weak sillage and requires 4-6 sprays to be noticeable to the wearer regardless of the weather. It is perfect when you do not want other people to detect your scent, yet you want to quietly enjoy your own pleasant and comforting smell.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Burberry Brit is a feminine scent currently sold as a male scent. It smells synthetic, powdery and sickly sweet. It has enormous sillage and unfathomably prompts compliments from women. Despite this I must give Burberry Brit a strong negative rating. If you can not find this in stores, sniff baby powder or women's makeup before making a blind purchase to approximate the scent.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Prominent top notes of star anise, lemon and sandalwood.

Base notes are primarily sandalwood and musk, with patchouli lingering to the end.

A hint of spice and dark sugar throughout. There is no hint of powder or soapiness and this is a scent for men of any age. This scent is pleasant for wear at any time or place, but unfortunately it is not a knockout scent nor a hyper-masculine scent that will make ladies fall at your feet.

Azzaro Pour Homme is not a traditional power scent as regularly espoused and wears close to the skin except during warm weather or exercise. I personally use two sprays to the chest, two to the neck, and when I need a bit more scent one on each forearm. Using two to three sprays, except during the first half-hour, women I hug do not detect the fragrance unless instructed to sniff me. 3-6 sprays recommended.

cobolsaurus's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

OH! Kouros.. The fragrance of my younger years... It only brings good memories. Excellent perfume. Recommended if you want to seduce.

dark phoenix 123's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

The initial blast of civet can be quite overpowering. So, lt it settle down a bit before smelling. overall, nice mixture of lavender, civet and citrus. all in all, i find it more "soothing" than jicky (probably due to the prominence of the lavender in MdM) and more interesting than caron's PuH (which is largely lavender plus a bit of vanilla to my nose). Love MdM's drydown which gives a genteel aura...

bookwyrmsmith's avatar

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

Limes and Cedarwood and baby powder .Good training wheels for the excellent Eau Sauvage by Dior or Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligons.Girls (or guys)who like BBW Coconut,Lime,Verbena or Jo Malone Lime Basil Mandarin may also enjoy this .

Jack Hunter's avatar

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

Very complex fragrance that seems to morph on your skin. It opens with a candy type fragrance with lavender and violet notes weaving in and out. After a while it gets very warm and woody on your skin surrounded by that sweet candy smell. A excellent fragrance, is it worth the money? I will let you be the judge of that.lol

memories's avatar

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

I am afraid I agree 100% with Octavian. Throw out the fragrance and I'll have the bottle.

alfarom's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A smoky and spicy combo of dry tobacco and tea. Mr Turin compares this to Indian Chai tea but I've to firmly disagree with him considering that cardamom plays a quite important role in the Chai's original formula while it's completely inexistent in Tea For Two. Spices here, are mainly cinnamon and star anise that play an important role, with some ambery-vanilla, balancing the general dryness with a slight touch of sweetness. Not as complex as others of the Giacobetti's compositions but still an above the average "modern-oriental". Good work.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

WHOAH! Hahah. Hey, does anyone remember Tom Selleck in 1980s' Magnum P.I.? Think thick moustache, dimpled chin, broad hairy chest... Well, for some reason Third Man got me thinking about him.

On my skin the carnation and patchouli work a real treat, with indoles adding a distinctly raunchy/funky element to this spicy fougere. But I wouldn't worry too much about this aspect as the sillage is really more about the woods and spice.

Just when I thought this 'dude' hasn't aged all too gracefully into the new millenium, the drydown came to change my mind: warm, earthy with just a slight touch of spice and musk. Not bad, a little dated perhaps, but just not smooth enough for my taste.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

spice,amber,oakmoos,citrus well put together to an aromatic scent.It reminds me of Tsar,Egoiste Platinum,Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne and Drakkar noir!-very similar.The opening is fresh and spicy-nice.The dry-down is the same : aromatic-fresh-green.I like the fragrance and although it´s quite particular and special in comparison to the fragrances being launched nowadays Duc de Virvins remains very linear all the time-powerful aromatic spicy fresh opening on quite a high level but then nothing else happens: long-lasting,strong and no further progress or evolution.A man´s fragrance- a virile simple but well done scent.The more I smell it the more I want something to happen but this fragrance stays the same all the time.At the end I was bored and bugged- okay, maybe this was never the intention of Duc de Virvins but I expect more-Duc de Virvins: an aristocratic promising sound and a bottle with golden letters- even more promising but this fragrance does not satisfy my expectations.It´s singular but remains on a mediocre level!

Amor Amor Eau Fraîche by Cacharel

Citrus, fruits, water and final powder with the dominant notes of peaches (not my favourite fruit for sure), blackcurrant and cyclamen. Tasty dignified mediocrity.

Flowerbomb Extrême by Viktor & Rolf

A more intense, powdery and initially citrusy version of the original formula that i prefer. Too dust, too much sweetness, few changeability. Overbearing.