Fragrance Reviews from August 2011

Jenniferkg8's avatar

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

This is one of my very favorite fragrances. It is a warm, tropical gardenia. It has more depth and richness than other gardenia's I've tried. My loving it would be enough, however, it is by far and away the most complimented fragrance I own.

melbourne6's avatar

Encens Flamboyant by Annick Goutal

Gorgeous blend of old candles and church incense - I could swim in vats of this stuff...has that old school Catholic feel in the very best of ways. Simply divine and the best thing Annick Goutal has done in ages.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I've had a 10 ml decant of this for over a year now and each time I screw off the top, I keep coming up with the same thing: a chemical-fruity-leather. It smells more like it's trying too hard, via synthetics, to smell like real leather instead of simply smelling like leather and, for me, fruity notes never work well with leather when they're too pronounced. I believe in trying a scent I'm not crazy about at first, several times over a period of time hoping that something will click oneday, but this one hasn't. It smells too thin and linear in that it never evolves beyond the leather and fruit (berries?). On me there are no phases or basenotes to speak of. What goes on in the beginning is what you get all the way through. It's not worth the price as there are more rich and beautiful leather scents out there.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

Green, and refreshing, yet may garner many negative comments. For a man, this smells more feminine. To compare it to something, 212 for women comes to mind. As it dries, it becomes much less feminine, and loud. The opening just reminds me of a really busy make up counter, but it quickly mellows out. Overall effect: Another boring run of the mill fragrance.

odysseusm's avatar

Earthtones #3 - North Woods by Neil Morris Fragrances

Sadly, I have to report my disappointment with this scent. I love coniferous, woody, and herbal scents. Looking at the notes list, I had every reason to hope that North Woods would be that sort of scent. I find that it is not very green, not at all coniferous, and really not woody. To me, it suggests a sunny meadow of sweet grass. That is not a bad image to convey, and the scent is not unpleasant. But in my opinion there is little of any woodland in it.

The scent starts in a promising manner, with lovely green notes hinting at galbanum or clary sage. The scent is soft but fresh. Fig leaf and cut grass are accurately rendered and give a slight herbal chord. Alas, this is a very brief phase. Next to appear is the heather – an outdoorsy floral, a bit hay-like or somewhat like broom. Soapy myrrh appears, and the scent becomes somewhat sweet. The hay-like note increases, at times becoming powdery and at other times suggesting tobacco leaf. Sometimes I detect a cool, tinny-metallic note which reminds me of some patchoulis I’ve encountered. At times, there is an earthy note like soil, and I am reminded of Czech and Speake’s Cuba with the tobacco-earth combination.

To reiterate: this is a pleasant scent, somewhat low-key but in many ways attractive. But I don’t find it substantially green and certainly (for me) there is nothing of the forest about it, either in terms of coniferous or wood notes.

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Casual Friday by Escada

Since I read the review of Casual Friday in the Perfume-Smellin' Things blog I cannot escape this image of a public library in the morning: an urban shrine of serenity. Maybe it's the dry, dusty patchouli, cedar and cotton flower that I associate with old paper. Maybe it's the sweetened coffee with milk that enhances this image. Finally, maybe it's the anise balancing the gourmand aspects that gives this impression of a sunny morning, big windows, an early yet already busy day. It is an urban fragrance by all means and an intellectual one.
    Were Casual Friday a little heavier on vanilla and sugar it would enter the lusty world of gourmands and orientals, yet it chooses another direction. Sweetness is tamed by patchouli and dry woody notes; and and behind anise and cappuccino there's a complex base reminding me partly of a creation form older world, partly of a Comme Des Garcons woody fragrance. By all means, not with the mainstream of its time or any time. There's no big wonder why it was discontinued by Escada. Still, in another world, Casual Friday would be irreplaceable for a busy morning in the big city - a situation currently maintained with all-purpose lightly colognes, speaking irrelevantly about either Italian citrus groves, fresh countryside laundry or seashores, none of them urban in the heart.

Freshman by Truefitt & Hill

Another knockoff from T&H. This one is a straight up aquatic in the likes of Coolwater. A citrusy sweet opening that picks up some mint along the way. A fresh, modern scent that is more reminiscent of department store offerings.

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

T&H’s rendition of a modern synthetic aquatic cologne. A sweet bergamot opening, which fades quickly to a faint oceanic note. A little woods in there, but overall longevity is poor and this one just isn’t that unique or good.

Clubman by Truefitt & Hill

A very modern, somewhat synthetic aquatic fragrance. Some mint notes there, but mainly a sporty type scent probably geared more towards the type that love department store offerings.

Grafton by Truefitt & Hill

Citrus top note that disappears almost immediately. Left with a light herby, green scent in the top notes. Faint Lavender in there as well, but can be picked up if you're looking for it. I get no "spice" at all throughout, despite what is listed in the basenotes. Dries down to a hint of patchouli and woods. Decent stuff and one of the better ones from this house (which isn't saying much), but there are much better ones in this category.

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

A spicy oriental opening that I pick up hints of coriander and cumin. A little cedar and musk there as well. Smoothly transitions into a jasmine drydown. I, like others have noted, get a reverse drydown from how the notes are listed. It is overall probably the most interesting from the T&H line, but nothing from this house really strikes me as great.

Knize Ten by Knize

A diesel blast of an opening that is a bit too much to handle. Quickly becomes leather, leather and more leather. Think straight out of a 1980s Austrian nightclub. This is in my opinion the leather to which all must be compared. Longevity is definitely not an issue and only a sprintz or two are plenty. Not much else to say, other than the definitive leather, hands down and one of my absolute favorites.

Knize Forest by Knize

A piney citrus opening that morphs into a herbal middle. A classic fougere drydown with oakmoss and some sandalwood and musk peeking through. Has good longevity, but is not an overpowering scent ala Knize ten. If you like a good foguere then this is worth a shot.

Bel Ami by Hermès

A spicey, somewhat citrus opening that dries down into a musky leathery accord. I’m not a big spice fan and don’t much like the opening, but it doesn’t last that long. It is decent juice, but when I’m in the mood for leather I’m more apt to reach for the likes of Knize 10 or Parfum d’Habit.

Darvant's avatar

Mistero di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Very similar to the traditional Roma Uomo this flanker is a slightly dustier, more citric and less creamy version of the original. The beginning is more citrusy than the Roma Uomo's one with the main role played by mandarine, bergamot and grapefruits. This link inpresses the traditional fruity smell of the scent while the following central accord of juniper berries and musk is the responsible of the more aromatic approach of the fragrance, even because of the subdued role played by amber, benzoin and vanilla. The following development  is indeed more woodsy, aromatic and less soapy-milky than the predecessor. There is sort of final masculine and a bit sophisticated undertone of bergamot that is deep and intense in its lemony beat and that comes from the top but this stands anyway as a mediocre and over fruited scent in my opinion.

alfarom's avatar

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

A civilized powerhouse. Sounds like an oxymoron? Try and see. Leather, green and herbaceous notes, pine, artemisia and lavender surrounded by a remarkable soapy vibe and laying on the usual musky/mossy base. An elegant chypre. Sort of Yatagan after an haircut.

Great projection, reasonable lasting power.

bebang's avatar

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

My absolute favourite fragrance.
    It is very difficult to describe for an untrained nose like mine but it's the salty sweetness that lingers. It's longevity is outstanding with the sea, soft orange petals and a whiff of fine soap morphing in to your skin. It brings memories back of all the places I would like to be.
    It is unique, there is nothing like it.

09 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2011)

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

A dreadful synthetic opening of hints of citrus and lavender. Smells like a cleaning product. The lavender persists throughout, but isn’t really natural in any way. Hints of musk and tobacco on drydown, but overall a disappointing, synthetic mess.

09 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2011)

qwerty82's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Good summer fragrance. My wife loves it. I'm just coming to the end of a 50ml bottle. Although I won't buy another bottle of Allure Homme Edition Blanche, I have enjoyed wearing it and I highly recommend it for summer / office wear.

09 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2012)

döfä91's avatar

Finland Finland

Yatagan by Caron

I don't usually submit negative reviews at all and the fragrance must be something extraordinary horrible if i do - and this one fell below that limit!

This was a blind buy (125 ML edt !) and i expected it to be more like the some of the known 70's - 80's powerhouse fragrances which i generally speaking like.... First i thought that i'll let it develope so that i can smell the middle and the base notes.. but even though i applied just one very short small spray onto my hand the smell was so strong, disgusting and horrible that i HAD to wash it away after 15 minutes from applying. So i never got to know how it would have developed. By the way, I don't know how this one can be washed off, i've already tried soap, Fairy and Chlorine bleacher and still i can smell this odour on my hand!

I have to give this one away to someone who is more sophisticated than me to appreciate this - can't use this even as a toilet washbowl cleaner. I honestly have never smelled this obnoxious odour before.
    =====
    Edit 16.8.2012
    I've done research work and found out the notes that disgusting me so much in Yatagan. It's that certain bittersweet aroma in top notes that comes from Ylang-Ylang flower note combined to celery and wormwood. For some reason, my nose just can't stand that particular smell.

09 August, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2012)

M.Vaillancourt's avatar

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Premier figuier opens with a burst of joyful impressions that come together all at once. It is sunny, bright and juicy. Green and fresh, it manages to be somehow dry while also being sweet. The first note that striked me was coconut, but that is when the fragrance is dabbed. Otherwise, when sprayed, the crushed fig leaves become prominent. Then you get lime, fig and sandalwood. It also has a sunscreen note that I find quite appealing.

Compared with philosykos, I see PF as being warmer, fruitier and I would describe it as more friendly. While Philosykos is an impersonal and objective fig, PF has a spontaneity that the former lacks. Maybe this comes precisely from the fact that, being Giacobetti's first, it perhaps has been composed with less skill, but with greater abandon.

Tip: Sprayed on clothes, I get a decent longevity, but practically no sillage.

Lily from the Forest's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Lola by Marc Jacobs

I wear this when I'm feeling confrontational.
    Usually I like to wear the subtle, soapy, very nice, very pleasent scents. Basically scents my dad would complement me on. But I don't always feel like being nice and innocently pleasent. Enter 'Lola'.
    Some describe this MJ as fun and flirty. On me she smells like a pissed of wife, a girl who used too much eyeliner, a flowery sundress with a black leather jacket. The heart of the scent is confrontational, very THERE. True, Lola starts all fruity and innocent (boring) and after, say, 6 hours the scent dies a (boring) warm vanilla death. But I'm in love with what Lola smells like on me after an hour. Rich, bold and like fat peonies; you don't overlook Lola.

Btw; I bought the 30ml bottle because I thought the bottle was less ugly than the 50 and 100ml. Those bottles are... so ugly! Almost tacky and neon and cheap. But then again; Lola isn't a very classy smell. You wouldn't wear Lola and your hair up at the same time.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Private Collection - Corps et Âmes by Parfumerie Generale

It's a chipper!

"What's that?"

A Chypre. It's a woody, floral, leathery chypre. I feel like it goes a little heavy on the rose (is it rose?), and yet somehow it never crosses that line into femininity. The sillage is "just right" and the scent itself is deep, rich, and dark while it maintaining a soapy cleanliness. It's a little more mature than, say, Aramis, but I'm a big proponent of the "no age limit" for fragrances because, "it doesn't wear you, you wear it." Corps et Ames also has a lot of "personality." All throughout my day while I wore it I was experiencing the smell shift and bend as different aspects of the composition connected with my nose. Everyone reading this should get themselves a sample so they can experience it once. Samples are currently available, but I'm ain't pluggin no website that ain't payin' me, say word.

dapperdonblu's avatar

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

This fragrance is not what you think,or not what i thought.

This fragrance is fresh and green. Its not a strong tobacco wood smell that I expected like Tom Ford Men , but a fresh heap of tobacco leaves harvested fresh with a mixture of ginger, vetiver, and musk. I use this for daytime wear.

dapperdonblu's avatar

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

This fragrance is not to be played with at all.
    Straight up wood and smoke.
    A strong base of smokey woods.
    I love it but i would only use this for very special occasions because It is so strong and special.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

Riverside drive REALLY reminds me of Creed's Green Valley, except it's slightly better, and lasts a good bit longer. The overall impression is very green and sharp. The evolution is interesting enough, and it sho' do smell of quality, but I just don't really LIKE it. It's just too green. I think the fantasy of an extremely green smell is better than the reality. In reality we need it to be tempered with "extras" that round the smell out nicely...

however, I did get a big compliment when I was wearing this. Still though, I just wasn't "feelin' it" and couldn't seem to bring myself to "feel it" after the compliment. Different strokes I guess. Now the world don't move...

BTW off-Scenter did hit the nail on the head regarding the basil-licorice thing though.

Nomader's avatar

Crave by Calvin Klein

When I was a teenager, my favorite scent was Clinique Happy for Men. Nobody I knew used that scent, and girls seemed to love the citrus notes. I was considering re-buying that cologne simply for nostalgic reasons. As I smelled the scent again, it brought memories rushing back, and I was very nearly ready to pull the trigger. Then I stumbled upon this fragrance "Crave". I HATED the packaging right off the bat. But when I smelled the strip, the top notes smelled almost identical to Clinique Happy. I ended up buying the bottle as a gut reaction, wanting to try something new(ish), to my collection. When I got home I checked out reviews on here, and WOW, you would have thought I purchased a bottle of urine. Which is why I rarely ever use the reviews on this page as a base to make decisions from. The scent plays very young on my skin. Definitely early to mid '20s. But not too young for my age (28) as a scent for the pool, gym, or daytime mall trip. I smell subtle sweet oranges, that doesn't suffocate those around me. Not a knockout cologne, but something nice to throw in your gym bag, or for a day at the boardwalk.

Nomader's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I am not a fan of this cologne. I do own it, and for the first few weeks it did well on me. But it has become my least favorite out of my collection since then. I'm sure this works on many guys, as it is quite popular, but it just wasn't for me. There is such promise in the dry down, after about an hour it smells good.. for about an hour. That gives it such a small window to perform while you're out and about. I'm sort of strange in that I enjoy smelling my collection every day... this bottle is the one I enjoy sniffing the least. BUT, as I said, it doesn't smell terrible, just a bit boring and safe.

smokecat20's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

First of all disregard anyone who says it smells like gasoline, petroleum, angry(!?) or other nonsense. This is a clean, warm, masculine scent. It's horrible to smell in the first 20-30 minutes. This scent is ALL about the drydown. Do not spray this if you're going to a meeting right away or first date, let it sit at least an hour to an hour and a half.

People who thinks it smells bad, or are getting weird reactions by people (i.e I can spray you across the street, etc) are most likely spraying this like a beast. For me I know this is a very strong powerhouse scent, so I spray less, and places that are not my pulse point—making it more of a subtle scent. That's the key to putting this cologne.

This is like the spiderman quote "with more power comes more responsibility". In this case the responsibility to spray LESS.

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

Varvatos Vintage is becoming fast one of my favorites, I am a fan of fougeres and enjoy all powerhouses of the 70's and 80's and very rarely I like the newer fragrances, but this one kinda breaks the mold of "modern aquatic" garbage and really offers a feast for the nose. Coniferous but with a patchouli kick in a very sweet (tonka bean) background that slowly develops into a tobacco/leather base. A winner in my book