Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

SirScent's avatar
    SirScent

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Simply one of the very best Aquatics out there.
    There is Good reason that this has been so popular for so many years.
    Classic, fresh and masculine. Great for warm weather but works all year long for me.
    Complements abound when I wear this. Armani may be a great commercial promoter with his fragrances, but I must say that most of his fragrances do live up to their commercial success. These are not fly by night scents...they are classic and most will stand the test of time. Well done.

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

Escada Homme by Escada

For what this costs these days, it truly is a great bargain. Escada manages to be dense and heavy while at the same time being well-spaced so that there is an illusion of lightness. The bergamot and lime up top do give an almost civet cast to the opening which recedes in the wake of the booze. I get the juniper and vanilla, but the latter is not forceful nor cloying. Don't overdo the trigger on this one; the penalty could be severe.

I get twelve hours of longevity from Escada. All in all, I enjoy it and am glad it's part of my arsenal.

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

Were somebody to describe the strategy that appears to have lead to this perfume, you'd stop them midway and tell them it won't work.

Take something that is defined by its volume, its dissonance, its creativity, its unabashed sense of purpose. In this case, Angel. Take the edges off the deliberately juxtaposed notes, remove all creative intent along with much of the idiosyncracy, fear that you might offend a delicate sensibility. Oh, yeah, keep just one thing: the volume. NdN crystalizes the problem of derivation among the post-Angels. It seeks to repeat Angel's success by throwing cotton candy and flowers at us. It supposes that by copying a few notes, it is like Angel, but by being risk-averse, it becomes the antithesis of Angel. Cheap yet expensive is the only juxtaposition that NdN poses.

Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue by Bond No. 9

I get no sense of purpose from this perfume. It doesn't use genre, style or its notes toward any particular point. A confused start, a quick deflation, an off-putting sweet, musky-gourmand lingering finish.

Without intention, or a strong statement of form, all one can read into a perfume is that the producer imagines that somebody out there will think it smells nice. That's not enough for me, especially at this price.

Serjery's avatar
    Serjery

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

Synthetic garbage. Smells like a strawberry jolly rancher. Sickening.

unklemoses's avatar
    unklemoses

Old Spice Smooth Blast by Procter & Gamble

well, considering identical external execution, i dare to suppose this one is called Kilimanjaro in Europe. if so, my few words refer to this one, too; if not - to Kilimabjaro only. in two words - it's gorgeous! i can't really say what are the notes, exept for orange citrus in the opening i guess, but the overall smell is fantastic. it's got a retro touch to it, which in my oppinion adds to masculinity, though the fragrance is really smooth indeed and doesn't bite at all. The only frag from OS which is worth Classic scent, imho..and worth to become a classic itself. all other new scents of OS seem girly and ephemeral compared to these two. Kilimanjaro makes me feel like i'm standing on a gunpowder clouded field of north Africa in times of WW1, dressed in khaki briefs and short-sleeve shirt and safari hat. an incarnation of manliness. totally thumbs up!

dark phoenix 123's avatar
    dark phoenix 123
    Singapore Singapore

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I really like the original Polo. The new ones smell similar to the vintage one. But I still think the vintage version is the one to die for (which i find is richer, spicier,longer-lasting..etc). seems that younger people generally do not like traditional scents like these, saying they smell like their old uncle or grandfather. personally, i find there is nothing wrong with that at all. grandfathers or uncles are humans and if it appealed to them, there must be something good about it, whether they born today or 50 years ago. for me, maybe it simply brought back wonderful memories of my younger years. polo crest is another wonderful scent. i think people who like polo green will also like polo crest as they are rather similar imo.

LadyDragonFire's avatar
    LadyDragonFire

Jicky by Guerlain

I love this fragrance! It smells wonderful! The version I've tried is the EDT, and it has a pretty dominant lavender note which actually comes out smelling pretty much like natural lavender on me! I almost always love lavender in fragrances so there is just no way I can dislike this one. I also agree with the other people on here that Jicky also has a very sweet, gourmand type of smell as well which I agree smells somewhat like Creme Brulee. Mostly, I'm getting the lavender though. The only thing about this EDT which is perhaps not altogether positive is that it is a somewhat light fragrance on me, and I suspect it won't have great longevity. Aside from that I definitely recommend this one to anyone who is looking for a great lavender fragrance that really smells like lavender!

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Notre Flore Neroli by L'Occitane

A strong neroli accord with an intense white flowers presence followed by widely soaring spices ( cumin, the touch of acidity reports to it), amber, benzoin, sandalwood and musk. The whiff is a bit vintage, opulent and decadent because of the indolence of white flowers. Almost edible. I detect cedar in the composition. The orange blossom presence is impressive while the dry down is a bit milky and powdery. Excellent sillage. Not bad.

nonnative's avatar
    nonnative

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

Apart for the synthetic opening that turns marvellous after a while, this frag is good and airy. It is like open air. I liked the spicy and bitter accords. Good lasting power. Just a bit too masculine for my taste.

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Fantastic opening of fresh mango's with some creme behind it. But, as it dries down, so do the mango's, as they turn more synthetic smelling. They blend into the sandalwood note, which is done poorly in this fragrance IMO. Longevity is usually around the 4 hour mark for me, and projection is below average.

The flanker to this, Double Black, is quite excellent, although it lacks in the longevity and projection departments as well. I certainly see a correlation between the two. But, as far as this one goes, it gets a thumbs up by me. I find that it's okay to have a few designer scents with poor longevity and projection, hell, sometimes, I don't want my fragrance to last all day. Black is a great quick little "pick me up" fragrance. And what it lacks, it makes up for with its uniqueness, and versatility. If you're fortunate enough to have this one on while it's still projecting, you will definitely get compliments. My ex co-worker loved this so much on me, that she bought a bottle for herself. I can see it being unisex as well.

Rais's avatar
    Rais

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Well, right off the bat this is one of the best scents ive ever smelt in my life. Its a little rough up top but the dry down is great. One problem. I have a A*men bottle (purchased from macy's) and i believe its the most recent batch. Its not heavy. Most people it lasts for 24 hours and has crazy sillage. I get about 5 hours. And after 15 minutes, you gotta get right up to me to smell it. Has it been reformulated? I have the 3.4 oz 100m rubber flask. The blue star does seem lighter color than older ones. I'm thinking about returning it because of the horrible longevity. I have dry skin, but i get 8 hours off Pure Malt, and 10 hours of Le Male. Anyone know whats going on?

Final Rating, 6/10 Great smell, horrible longevity

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange

Eldo's politic when it comes to naming frags has always focused on provocation and Charogne makes no exception. So many times we witnessed a launch of one of their fragrances expecting to smell something "out of the world", "extraterrestrial", but too many times we just found that the majority of their compositions where anything but weird (Tom Of Finland, Je Suis Un Homme, Eloge Du Traitre, Antiheros, Fat Electrician etc. etc.). In this context, Charogne definitely makes an exception being one of the very few that lived up to its name (Vierges y Toreros, Secretions Magnifique, Jasmin et Cigarette).

A rancid indolic accord joined by vanilla and animalic leather while white florals fly over very low. The overall effect is pretty odd but at the same time fascinating. There's something very intimate and private in Charogne, something you could only share with your long term partner, like chewing a bubblegum that just came out from his/her mouth.

Not among my favorite fragrances but still a great example of a "weird-composition".

Koi-Sashuu's avatar
    Koi-Sashuu
    Netherlands Netherlands

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Opens very soapy. Dries down to a oriental woody scent.
    Nothing special. For the slightly formal occasions. Gentlemen fragrance.

Projectivity is bad. Longetivity is average.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

1 Million, it reminds me of this cherry scented car spray my brother uses in his car, and also like many others have mentioned, chewing gum, but then there is this sensuality about it that lingers in the background and comes alive in the dry down and I think it's the blonde leather(I don't know the smell many of the notes incorporated in fragrances so I hate picking out individual notes) I'm not sure what blonde leather smells like, but I at least have an idea of the other notes and I know it's not those.

So it is a sweet fragrance with good longetivity and great projection, the packaging is also unique and I like it, and the gold theme truly is what you feel like when wearing it(a million bucks) the pricing is also pretty good I payed $76 for a 3.4 oz and it was worth it. I think it is for the younger crowd, great for clubbing because of it's attention grabbing nature and pretty versatile because I can see myself wearing it in Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer nights. I think that it definately deserves a try at the very least.

Projection A
    Longetivity A-
    Overall Smell A

The Dreamer by Versace

The Dreamer in my eyes is underated, as most people don't even know of it's existance. The openig I don't like so much but once you get past that it truely does shine. I think it is a very romantic scent, it's just overflowing with sensuality. And my Mum actually said she liked it...and she rarely likes any of my fragrances.

So the Lily notes add a feminine touch to it but the Tobacco pushes back and balances it out, and the two together= pure seduction power. But it is still very versatile as I once used nothing but this for about two weeks straight and it never failed me, so signature scent capability, check! And about every season, Fall, Winter, Spring, and summer nights/cooler days.It stays pretty close to the skin as the only people that commented on it had just hugged me. I'd say this is a try as I've heard of some not liking it, but please when you do; stick around till the dry down before you make your choice. I've never smelled it on someone else so an added bonus; your the only guy rockin' this at the office/school...

Projection B
    Longetivity A+ (10+hrs)
    Overall Smell A-

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Curve, I'm really surprised that this was released back in 96, as it smells very modern. But Of all my fragrances, even my more expensive ones, this for some reason is the most complimented, from both women and men.

So this is quite loved by the ladies. I have this one lady friend likes it so much she borrows my jacket or scarf just to sniff on it all day. It's really affordable which is a great thing about it because it it has good longetivity, monster projection if you apply carelessly and leaves a killer scent trail; you'll leave the room and people in it will still smell you for a couple minutes, which is rare from cheapies. So I get the most compliments from this, and since it's so cheap, I sometimes just spray it to spice up the air in my room and it lingers for quite a while about 12 hours. I do have to say it is quite sinthetic, which might be a dealbreaker for some and the quality of the bottle, sprayer all of it is quite low; the sprayer is sketchy, it releases varying amounts of juice and the Curve logo on the bottle is like a sticker just slapped on there, but that really doesn't matter much to me anyways. It's not very versatile because I see it as a summer and warmer spring fragrance but you can wear it every day of the warmer seasons with no problem. I think that all should give this a try first, and it might surprise you; wort the money.

Projection A
    Longetivity B
    Overall Smell B (safe, clean, nothing special)

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

Does anybody else see Bond, as a marketing product, as Creed with a different fetish? Both rely on a symbolism of affluence and privilege. Creed's ancestor worship, prestige and mythology-as-history give the air of a quality that only pedigree can grant. Bond relies on neighborhood chic. The brand deals the currency of privilege and exclusivity of NYC real estate in the same manner that Creed manages lineage. (Please just give me one crack in the image of either. Offal Millesime from some disavowed pervy great uncle or Bond's Gowanus Canal Superfund.)

I'm cynical about schtick, and Bond's is ridiculous. But Andy Warhol Silver Factory is a sensational take on the incense/floral. The floral note centers on a beautifully high-pitched iris, and the incense is resinous, not at all smoky, and wonderfully sharp. This doesn't smell like church and it doesn't simply smell like olibanum oil. The shiny metallic note (silver, get it?) is the common link between the iris and the incense.

I find AWSF quite unlike the other incense perfumes of the mid-2000s, an era that gave us some gorgeous incenses. l'Artisan's Timbuktu is a deconstruction/rebuild of incense with woods and fruit. CDG's Avignon and Heeley's Cardinal riffed on the smoky church. Jubilation XXV emphasized frankincense's voluptuousness. I find AWSF closest in approach, though not outcome to CDG 2 Man. Each takes a particular aspect of incense, CDG's smoke and flame, AWSF's metallic chill, and builds a portrait. AWSF also smartly refers to a direct predecessor, taking Bond's Chinatown's cool resinous incense base as a leaping-off point. Which leads me to my ubiquitous fandom of Aurélien Guichard, author of both Chinatown & AWSF. This guy makes some gorgeous perfumes.

But back to Bond as a line. I spent more on Chinatown than I have on any other single perfume. These two perfumes warrant high price points, but the other 10-12 Bond's I've sniffed don't. Not by a long shot.

BetsyMeszaros's avatar
    BetsyMeszaros

Fleur de Corail / Coral Flower by Lolita Lempicka

I got this as a sample when I ordered something for my husband. I absolutely love it and he loves it on me. It is not too floral or sweet. Although it is suppose to have a lot of vanilla in it I really don't detect it too much. This is unusual since I tend to like the vanilla perfumes and although this is one of those the vanilla doesn't come through so strong on me. Which makes it something really different from what I usually wear.

Am I the only one that thinks this has overtones of Opium?

Somehow I feel like someone took the best of Shalimar, Opium and Dune and blended them all together.

I was very disappointed to find out this is a special edition and has been discontinued. I bought 4 bottles of it immediately.

My only complaint it it doesn't seem to last more then a couple of hours on me.

Fleurine's avatar
    Fleurine

Shalimar Parfum Initial by Guerlain

A very very nice fragrance. To me this is a musky aroma-chemical laden very nice fragrance. It could really be the "universal flanker" because it trots out quite a few familiar scents...most obviously Narciso Rodriguez for Her, and Musc for Her, but sweeter. The feel is so different and airier than the grande dame Mme. Shalimar. This pink juice would have a very hard time offending anyone, or making a very distinct impression either. But very nice.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

A major success from Duchaufour. Avignon is exactly what I envision what a perfect pleasant smelling incense should smell like in real life. It has a very natural cedar and frankincense combo that is incredible smelling. The scent is quite linear, getting right down to business and staying there throughout. I can see some versatility issues with Avignon due to the nature of the scent, but the composition and smell are near-flawless. The only minor gripe I have is contrary to many of the other reviews, longevity on my skin is below average at about 5-6 hours. That said, Avignon is completely deserving of the high praise it has received here and elsewhere. Simply sublime. 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.

09 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 02 June, 2012)

VIP for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Very similar to the original Giorgio for Men, but more refined. I just got a sample and immediately fell in love with the top notes. They are just like regular GfM, but less "in your face" and smooth. Then the scent morphed briefly into a mini-mess that had me worried it would go south quickly... That fear was unjust, as the scent quickly recovered into the GfM heart and then dry-down I have come to love, only again more subtle and refined but still with plenty of strength, longevity and projection.

Overall I honestly can't say which version I prefer as they are both classics and top masculine choices in my book. That said, as the original has been re-released and can be had in all its former glory for $20 or less for a 118ml bottle (update: Giorgio for Men now has been reformulated around late 2011/early 2012, so look for the earlier re-release bottles that have a mossy green color to the juice still sold for the same low price on eBay), while VIP has to be acquired for mega bucks to get the discontinued original bottles I guess I would stick to the original at its "steal" price. VIP is great stuff if you can get a bottle at a sane price though. A 5 stars out of 5 powerhouse masterpiece for sure.

09 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2012)

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

One of the best masculine scents and best values... period. The geranium note stays throughout, but blends perfectly with the anise, spice, and the ambergris base. This is a classic in every sense of the word and is just as relevant today as it was in the late 70s. Superb! 4 stars out of 5.

Memoir Man by Amouage

The opening is fresh and really incredible, but all too brief. Then the scent takes a radical change on my skin and just smells like burnt tire rubber. Longevity is rather poor on me as well. Bulgari Black does the tire rubber note much better and for1/8 the price. I wish the opening notes stayed around longer on Memoir, because they really make me want to give this one a better score on their strength alone... Oh well, 2.5 stars out of 5 is all I can muster.

Nicolaï pour Homme by Parfums de Nicolaï

Disappointing to the extreme. The scent kind of reminds me of a slightly less annoying Cefiro mixed with menthol. It is wearable enough, I guess, but why does someone want to smell like a fresh menthol muscle cream? I bought this one blind, but it was a big mistake. To PdN's credit, they do not run up the tab on their scents and this was no exception. My recommendation is to stick to the line's best masculine targeted scent... New York... Skip this 1.5 star out of 5 terrible one.

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

The epitome of a left back in the past glorious age, the scent of the adventures along the far lands and of the oceanic cruisings, the synthesis of the good taste, the top of the botanic freshness. In the same vein of Blenheim Bouquet, Eau de Rochas Homme, Grey Flannel and the more recent Imprinting this hesperidic cologne is a complex and subtle citric-herbal-floral concoction. The link of citrus-rosemary-basil-rose-jasmine keeps the secret of the classic subtleness and vintage sophistication while the rooty-woodsy classically chypre dry down made of oakmoss and vetiver with a touch of patchouli nails down a masculine and distinctive kind of base. A touch of amber and musk soothens a bit the general crispness of citrus, greens and vetiver enhancing in the meanwhile the durable masculinity. Never cloying or boring this subtle smell ostensibly disappears while holds on to be effectively always present in the air as a discreetly waving ghost. Class and artistry in perfumery.

09 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2013)

Francois Blais's avatar
    Francois Blais

L'Eau Homme by S.T. Dupont

Very nice fresh scent for the summer.
    As stated previously, you get a ghost of Declaration through a more generic aquatic type of scent, but it remains above the competition with a better balance between the elements, and the tea notes which I love.
    Nothing ground-breaking, but much better done than other aquatics.

Appalachianitis's avatar
    Appalachianitis

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

When I first smelled Juicy Couture, I thought, "Eh, it's nice, but too young for me."

I'm 34, I have dark hair, wear glasses, and mostly wear black. I come across as a fairly serious person, and it felt like this was meant for someone younger. And maybe blonde. And more fun.

Yet, I kept returning to it. Every time I saw a tester, I indulged in another spray.

While many people possess the ability to dissect a fragrance down to its very last note, I do not. Some reviews mention this fragrance as being heavy-handed with the fruit, but mostly I just smell that gorgeous tuberose, which reminds me of Fracas (another one that I have deemed "not me.")

Maybe the fact that I look like a gothic librarian-accountant means that I *can* pull this off better than a tracksuit-wearing Barbie doll.

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Costa Mediterranea by I Profumi di Firenze

I would never be one to attack a fragrance for being a "me too" aquatic. I judge all fragrances on their own merits, no matter how brutally tired the genre is. With that stated, I am afraid that this particular "me too" aquatic does it all wrong. Costa Mediterranea is too sharp, and with all of that sharpness sitting on top of that artificial *"thing," the combination becomes a bit annoying. There were times during my wearing that I'd wished I hadn't worn it, and that is pretty much the death knell of a fragrance.

Style in Play and Eternity Summer are two fragrances that I feel have a very similar vibe, but they're done correctly.

I feel that despite my dislike, I should mention that I got a compliment on it, and it was from a refined and well educated woman at work. This puts to rest the theory that only vapid teeny-boopers like aquatics. Of course, this review is about me and my opinion, so it's still a resounding NAY!

*The artificial "thing" I reference above is not an inherently bad thing, but I don't know how to describe those bright, cedery, apple-y, fizzy notes that are found in many aquatics to varying degrees.

odioustoilet's avatar
    odioustoilet
    Antarctica Antarctica

Infusion by Bombay Sapphire

Bombay Sapphire's Infusion.............you are a beauty!

To me it paints a picture of a lite/light sprarkling essence that bubbles upwards and is far from heavy.

The note I pick up on the most is JUNIPER berries(a big exlamation mark here)........

Unfortunately this sweet, but not too sweet, fragrance is gone after a couple of hours.

This may sound dumb but it sort of smells like the color of the Bombay Sapphire drink, a COOL blue and some green somewhere in there.

In closing: Go out and get yourself one of these bottles because I'm guessing they are not making it anymore. I even emailed the company and.............no reply!