Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

EdwardBenton's avatar

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Light, crisp minty notes calm down into a nice woody (yet clean) vetiver. Great on a warm day. On my purchase list.

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Encre Noire by Lalique

This fragrance has an opening recalling the aroma of abandoned houses where the wood has just taken a shower of rain. Very dark and mysterious smell also combined with a wet earth aspect.

After a few hours, we still have the aroma of vetiver but toned down, remembering somehow He Wood Rocky Mountain but without the floral notes. Anyway, an awesome fragrance!

Notreveh's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Passage d'Enfer is the most spiritual fragrance that I've had the opportunity to meet. We don't have here the pure abstraction of the environment inside a church, as in Avignon, but instead, a full transposition to a rite of passage.

L'artisan was able to capture with this scent, the end point of every life, death, especially it's religious aspects.

This scent opens with a cadaverous smell, similar to the smell of bodies as being veiled. That distinctive smell of flowers combined with incense, a mysterious opening where Lily is fully present along with a very characteristic aroma of myrrh.

Named gates of hell, I was expecting the same as knightz expected. A pungent scent, extremely strong, invasive, and even repulsive, representing to me within it's evolution, the nine circles of hell as described by Dante Alighieri in hi's most famous work The Divine Comedy, instead we have in this smooth scent(and no less remarkable), the final part of Purgatory, with the removal of sins committed by Dante in life and thus the subsequent ascension into heaven.

Passage d'Enfer is the embodiment of the liturgical chant Kyrie eleison (Lord have mercy on us). A spiritual masterpiece. Definitely a scent that is not for everyone. When you have the opportunity to smell this fragrance, track it's progress by watching this video on youtube (watch?v=L1lz7JAXe54&feature) and so you will understand the perfect image that Giacobetti Olivia was able to capture with her creation.

distortech's avatar

Cotillon by Avon

A true classic and one of the best that Avon ever put out. It is a true testament of it's time. Lovers of carnation and vanilla need to smell this glorious creation. I love it.

Vasily's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Yet another "modern" frag for the "young man", indistinguishable from all the other "modern young" frags on your local department store's counter. Boring.

Margareta's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Burberry Body by Burberry

This review is for Buiberry Body EdP Intense.

So, Burberry, you finally got me! I haven't been fond of Burberry's perfumes, with the exeption of London, with a nice freschnes, and The Beat, who is nice.

But for this new perfume, Body, I fell at once! It is really, really female, in the same way as Cristobal and Chanel Allure, even if Body is more gentle. (Of course this is on my skin!)

Thumbs up from me! It is worth a try on your skin!

Actionmac's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme by Guerlain

My first review and it is due to the reactions I received from wearing L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme...

L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme WOW. A blast from the start then as it wears it transitions into a very warm sensually seductive fragrance that envelopes you. The sillage draws attention actually causing heads to turn and move with you; not overpowering, subtle but strong it presence. Just amazing.

Through all of that sexiness, L'Instant Extreme's scent is elegant and refined. It's been called a masterpiece, you have to read reviewers that can break down the notes. I am telling you about the experience from wearing this outstanding Perfume. Compliments? more like declarations of desire... The reactions were immediate and DIRECT.

I am loving this perfume..

pepelestinker's avatar

Tomorrow for Him by Avon

I just couldn't get on board with this one. I thought I might like it, but the ambery anise started to clash with the synthetic patchouli aroma, and in the end just turned my stomach. Too spicy to be a smooth gourmand, this dries down on me to a very earthy flat patchouli. Blech!

Trauerkraut's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

I like Fahrenheit 32! A soft, gentle and inoffensive, slightly androgyne delicacy!
    It has the same kind of 'feel good' atmosphere as Beyond Paradise for Men which I really do like as well. Very nice.

10th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 11th September, 2011)

pepelestinker's avatar

7 de Loewe by Loewe

So, I have had to edit my review. Upon seeing all the references to Cacharel PH, I had to revisit it, just to make sure I remembered it correctly, as I didn't find many similarities. Lo and behold, the drydown of cacharel PH is almost exactly like the entire linear Loewe 7. 7 is a simple and synthetic fragrance made up of incense, apple and cedar mainly...with some very strange synthetic smell in the base, but I like it...a lot. I can see how some would be put off by the strangeness of the base, but it's wildly compelling to me, and I wear this often in the fall.

10th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 14 September, 2011)

drseid's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

I originally shunned this when I tried it a decade ago... That was a big mistake, as it actually is a great spicy oriental with ginger as a primary note. I may prefer Floris Eau de Santal and Eau de Santal Extreme that have a similar dry-down, but Gucci was first and deserves credit for paving the way... Oh, and it smells great in its own right. Those who enjoy ginger based spicy orientals can stop here after trying this one. 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5.

10th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2012)

John.G's avatar

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

She said she liked it, so she bought this for me.
    I'd sniffed at a tester before and would not have purchased it for myself. Too synthetic.
    But seeing as it was here i decided I'd wear it occasionally for her sake. Love makes one do things like that.

Soooooooooooooo......... initially as a tester and at full wearing all i got was an eye watering blast of synthetic. Thats why I hate synthetics... I dont give a dammm about the ingredients but calone or whatever makes my eyes water.
    Then one day I got the citrus. Then weirdly enough I got the honey note of Antaeus floating along way at the back. Am I the only one who gets that???

I find this to be undoubtably a creation of the house of Chanel. I get hints of Pour Monsieur and Antaeus at different times in its development and that refined smoothness that always to me is a Chanel hallmark.

Refined, smooth, innocuous. Classier then most of its contemparies without any brash overtones. But it doesnt stand out and say anything either.

Methinks its the perfect accompaniement for a young guy in a suit to work.
    And it aint too bad for the young at heart for a casual saturday either.

mumsy's avatar

Ninféo Mio by Annick Goutal

I'm transported to Greece and I've just broken a branch off a fig tree. Heat, sun and green figgy notes. Delicious and evocative of a garden abroad.

John.G's avatar

Or Black by Pascal Morabito

I've always avoided writing a review of Or Black. I feel that to write a review one should try to maintain some objectivity. And its been a defualt setting in my wardrobe for so long that I can't even pretend to be objective.

Don't know what to wear... Or Black.
    Formal without being stuffy.... Or Black.
    Alone on a chill winters night and wanting to feel held.... Or Black
    Comfort scent.... Or Black.

And its a chameleon. Sometimes I get some notes... sometimes others. Different moods and different weathers bring out multiple facets to me.

Autumn and winter I normally get the leather. Specifically its the smell of new suede. Spring and summer I get the worlds driest rose - imagine a solitary red rose valiantly growing against the backdrop of a Sergio Leone western.

And always that smooth musk and tonka and laubdanum in the far drydown. 24 hours later I still smell it when the hot water of a shower opens my pores. And fall in love with it once again.

Perfume as an art form is about emotion, not objectivity.
    Perhaps it wouldnt hang in the Louvre. But this is what would hang above my bed.

hyblaean's avatar

Barbara Bui by Barbara Bui

Smells like chemicals, metals and the industrial strength baby powder air freshener they use at work (on my skin). Cannot get it off fast enough :(
    Scratching this one off my quest for the perfect heliotrope scent.

hyblaean's avatar

Kiss me Tender by Nicolaï

Currently my favorite scent, and out of the samples I've tried through "The Perfumed Court" the best heliotrope on my skin. I can wear this perfume throughout the month and not get a headache. Perfect.

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

I recalled this being very weak, but I wanted to give it a fair shake again. Initially, I'm getting a lot of coniferous notes, but it's been sweetened and tamed by the addition of fruity notes that seem all too reminiscent of men's designer fruit fragrances. Even a bit of the old dreaded melon is here, and our old friend the Curve ass-leather note, all over synthetic woods. This is very disappointing, and to me seems very uncharacteristic of a respected niche line like AdP (not that any of their others have impressed me very much!). As the base approaches, I'm presented with the same cheap cherry/wood scent as the new version of Dunhill, which to me just feels like an easy cop-out. The sweetness isn't strong, but it's too full of fruits and honey, and ends up being no better than what you'd find in a run-of-the-mill designer scent. It has a bit of the "moneyed" vibe that their Colonia Intensa has, and that helps a bit, but overall I just don't find it to be worth the niche price or the niche brand. Geir does it better, and stronger. Looks like I better move on to their Fig one!

SoleRoc's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This is one of my favorites! Now, I must admit that it DID take a while for it to grow on me. The problem is, many people read waaaaay too many reviews and get into the hype of a fragrance, only to be let down when it comes time to smell. That was definitely me at first sniff with Creed's MI. The truth is that I was actually pretty pissed off! I was expecting waters to part when I applied MI for the first time. Nope, I believed it to be boring and not very unique. Fortunately I gave it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc... chance and have come to absolutely LOVE this fragrance. This is what I like to call a "Creeper." A creeper is a fragrance that you intially don't care for much, but slowly creeps its way up on your list untill it reaches one of the top spots; making you realize that it is a MUST have in your collection.
    Millesime Imperial is DEFINITELY a fragrance you have to grow to love (if you are one of "those" that didn't like it at first spray). The truth is, is that it IS unique. It has been copied and immitated plenty of times, which should tell you that they (Creed) did something right. It is simple & understated but, classy & unique; allowing for the fragrance to speak for itself - just as royalty. It does not take much to convey what one wishes. << Cheesy... lol... I know, but as simple as this fragrance is, it stands above most.
    Many people say they have issues with MI's longevity (actually most of Creed's frags). I can sit here and ramble off a bunch of excuses for why (natural vs synthetic, bad batch, skin type etc...), but I wont. The fact is, this frag is not SUPPOSED to be loud. It was made & designed for royalty and serves its purpose. It smells wonderful and reappears when the body is exerted or heats up. That is its purpose and point. How many people of royalty do YOU know that spend all day at an office?? or constantly around a lot of people that they want to impress?? or even better, around people that they don't want to offend?? How many people of royalty do YOU know that even CARE about impressing or offending strangers??
    Anyhow, these are just my 2 cents. Sorry if I bored you. MI is a very nice and tasteful fragrance. The hefty price tag is its only negative. Fresh, sweet & natural... what more can you ask for?

bokaba's avatar

Tea/Rose by CB I Hate Perfume

I really like the idea of a scent featuring Moroccan rose absolute and I am not usually a tea note lover, but I think it works well here. The tea is of the Darjeeling type, black, spicy, and full of old world charm not the newer watery green tea accord used by lesser house. The Moroccan rose is quite nice, but more on the lighter, snappier, tea rose type accord--I'd of preferred a Bulgarian rose absolute for a richer, more satisfying accord. One of things I really like about this scent is its ability to show the various facets of both the tea and rose as each is very complex with more notes than just their namesake. Tea/Rose is exactly what it claims--nothing more, nothing less.

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

Note this review is for the vintage Eau de Rochas POUR Homme (look for POUR on the bottle). Rochas' stab at the EdC genre. It's your standard EdC structure - citrus on top, herbs in the middle and musk/wood on the bottom. What makes EdR PH so good is the delicious and high-quality lime on top and an unexpected but delightful myrrh note in the base that sets this apart from the usual EdC fare. Rochas has rejuiced this probably due to the citrus oils but I've not smelled it so I can't really comment. Best to play it safe and go vintage.

Eau de Badian by L'Occitane

L'Occitane men's fragrances are outstanding and Badian is no exception. Badian has a classic opening of grapefruit and anise which is also used in Live Jazz and Must PH Essence to great effect. I can't get enough of this, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a fragrance blind if I know that there's grapefruit and anise in it. Paired together like Bonnie & Clyde, Laurel & Hardy and Yin & Yang. Slowly gives way to a clove and moss drydown. Light and airy, nothing that weighs you down. Perfect for summer evenings in mid-west America dreaming of getting lost in Provencal lavender fields on summer evenings. Elegant and sophisticated.

Aiona's avatar

Jennifer Aniston / Lolavie by Jennifer Aniston

I think Jennifer Aniston by Jennifer Aniston is a lovely floral perfume -- a jasmine, lots of rose, and lily. I don't get the citrus. About 4.5 hours later, it's so very faint, but still there, and mostly jasmine at that point. Sillage is virtually nonexistent on this one. There are so many complaints about its poor longevity and sillage -- that is true. But keep in mind, low projection and its lovely floral smell mean that this would be the perfect scent for Winston Smith. I can see him surreptitiously pulling it out of his drawer in the Ministry of Truth, to give himself a warm reminder of flowers amidst the gloom of his workplace. Or even spritzing it secretively in that corner of his room, where the cameras don't reach, right before he updates his verboten journal. And no one would ever know, because he has no sillage.

There's no patchouli in this one. And I agree with someone else's review I read somewhere that I can't remember, that it smells kind of like a flavor of Tide brand laundry detergent.

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

Grapefruit & anise are usually found in "fresh" fragrances and not in orientals. Here, the path of grapefruit and anise is followed by exquisite trails of vanilla, almond and amber. Novel approach and execution. Kind of smells like Lolita au Masculin but with more complexity of the citrus notes. At times smells like somebody mixed black licorice with marzipan. Unique and certainly worthy of the high price.

Larimar's avatar

Austria Austria

Tubéreuse by Caron

I agree very much with cutypi by saying Caron's Tubereuse was like Haute Couture! I think this is very true for its style and mood.
    Sugandaraja has done a formidable review on this, so I only add a few impressions.
    Tubereuse starts off like a fresh, green, almost slightly mentholated and redux tuberose. This is perfectly alright for me, who has troubles with tuberose as a note that usually is in your face, so to say.
    I absolutely love the slightly smoky, musky facet that is noticeable from one hour into your wearing onwards. There is only a hint of the buttery aspect of tuberose in this Richard Fraysse creation. If violet leaf is in here for the sharper edges, I can't detect it and it is used extremely cleverly. My guess is that geranium is a significant helper here, which would help to explain the fresh, almost mentholated edge mentioned before. Sillage is rather redux after 2-3 hours leaving a very discreet fresh but not cold vibe. I think Tubereuse is one of the creations with the most masterfully achieved balance between obvious contradictory notes. The result is a highly sophisticated, elegant and stylish (haute couture) fragrance that is further proof of Fraysse's good work at Caron.

The_Cologneist's avatar

Havana by Aramis

Absolutely perfect. Amazing.. words cannot describe how fantastic Havana is. I was a little skeptical in trying this one, because I find many of the overhyped fragrances on BN are just that.. overhyped.

Havana is well worth the hype though. It's spicy, subtly sweet, slightly soapy and very masculine. Few times do I find myself not being able to describe a scent with notes.. and this is one of those times. In a good way, it is so well balanced, that it's hard to say what I smell, when I smell it. All of the notes take centerstage and create one amazing accord.

In terms of comparisons.. I get a little bit of a Michael Kors for men vibe in there, as well as some of the original Aramis. I get all of the notes listed above except for the tangerine, grapefruit and orange. The star notes though, are without doubt the tobacco, birch tar, and spices. Although not listed, I also get quite a bit of dry cinnamon.

The result: One of the most masculine and unforgettable designer fragrances ever made. A must try! But, I recommend it for the more mature crowd.

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

This fragrance pretty much comes out smelling like Christmas candles and "holiday spice" on me. It's really nice and I like it but I don't think I would actually buy a bottle of this and wear it. It gives me too many cravings to eat sweet desserts. However, I agree that it is fairly unisex and could be a nice fragrance for either a man or a woman to wear. It probably should have been given a different name.

Oh_Hedgehog's avatar

Piment Brûlant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Clove, chocolate, and a spicy-vegetal note somewhere between sappy tomato stem and stinging red chilli – let's call it red bell pepper. Piment Brûlant is not shoddily put together, and it has an intriguingly spectral presence, but its quirky ingredients threaten both a head- and stomach ache and I'd recommend it as a curiosity only.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Iris 39 by Le Labo

Ahh, the lure of the Iris... Especially when it beckons you with its seductive charms but stays just out of your reach. Perhaps that's what I love most about Le Labo's IRIS 39. That while it stays predominantly a green floral with warm ylang ylang and bitter violet leaf sitting on opposite ends, it only offers irises' earthy-carroty vibe to add some texture and act as a gossamer-thin bride's veil over what could be just another pretty green floral. No.19 or Diorissimo this is not, nor does it try to be for it simply doesn't need to; Iris 39 holds her own.

The civet note is on the 'neutered' side of things but I thought it is funky enough to placate seasoned, vintage-worshipping noses without alienating others with more contemporary tastes. Projection is ample, lasting 3-4 hours on skin before drying down to a softly sweet yet musky scent. I felt it wears rather similar to Chanel 31 rue Cambon so I suppose technically there is nothing groundbreaking. But Iris 39 is undeniably well-executed and is arguably one of Le Labo's most elegant. I'd wear it myself, conventions be damned.

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is a bit cursory...testing the very end of a manufacturer sample vial. It opens weak with just a little vanilla, and smells remarkably similar to vanilla extract. Only after a few minutes does the vetiver begin to appear, but it's very subtle. This begins the slow transition to a somewhat greener scent than the topnotes suggested, but also heralds further weakening. It's almost as weak as the vague traces I got from their Secretions Magnifiques...I'm anosmic to the really nasty note there, and I almost wonder if I'm anosmic to some notes in FE too. I start to pick up a bit of cinnamon in the base, but that's about the end of the story. It's nice enough, but still rather plasticky.

For practical purposes, there's nothing this could do for me that L'Occitane Vetyver hasn't already done at a low price. I really like the vanilla/vetiver combination and I need to find more examples of it (maybe Vetyver Haiti or the Hermessence?), but already FE is way more synthetic-smelling than the L'Occitane. Or if you're more interested in the cinnamon/vanilla combo, there's a whole laundry list of spicy orientals that do the trick better.

At The Beach 1966 by CB I Hate Perfume

I've never smelled 45-year-old suntan lotion, so I'm going to ignore the fact that this was meant to smell like a particular product. If you told me this was a new Gendarme, I'd believe you; right away it has a similar lush green and floral aspect to my beloved but unpurchased Gendarme Green, or even Kiehl's Forest Rain, but the florals are turned up a notch, which might make this serve well as a women's scent. I agree that the sea air is playing a role here, with a trace of something like Aqua Motu, but I wonder if it's simply because we think the beach "smells like suntan lotion" or vice versa, from being so used to that association. Later, the bright freshness starts to fade and leaves behind more powderiness, though I wonder if the note progression in a "water perfume" should be slower because the solvent sticks around longer. By the base, it's a lot closer to just being a standard women's floral scent, but still hasn't totally crossed over because the standard suntan lotion notes (partially violet?) are relatively sharp and assertive. For those of you who are into masculine or not-too-feminine florals, or fans of the Gendarme line, this is definitely worth a try, though I'm not sure I'd use it myself. Thumbs up for uniqueness!