Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Redbeard's avatar
    Redbeard

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

I bought a vial, foolishly thinking it would smell like vetiver plus something close to vanilla. It opens much sweeter, more nutty and caramel candy-like than I expected, but right away I can tell that the show's already over for me. It has that rotting fetid ashtray component that overruns Floris Elite...not quite as much as FE but still it's at center stage. From what I can tell, some intrepid florals are struggling to break free of the horrific oppression of the ashtray, but aren't quite able to make it out. There is in fact some vetiver in here, manifesting itself as the greener portion of the mostly light brown sharp sourness. Then, oddly enough, the sour ashiness is almost gone in a very quick transition, leaving a weak, nutty vetiver. This phase in and of itself is OK, reminding me a lot of Black Vetyver Cafe with only a little sourness, but I've already been punished enough by the top and mid notes; I've seriously come across bums that smelled just like that. I can't believe what a racket Hermes has going with this line, though I still like most of their other offerings.

sherapop's avatar
    sherapop

L'Âme soeur by Divine

When I first donned Divine L'AME SOEUR, I had a difficult time placing what precisely it was that this perfume was reminding me of. It wasn't flowers; it wasn't another perfume; it wasn't a cleaning product; and it wasn't a shampoo or conditioner. And then suddenly it popped into my mind: the organic chemistry lab where I did research as an undergraduate! L'AME SOEUR smells to me like the swirling solvents in the flasks clamped at various stations throughout the large laboratory where several graduate students spent virtually all of their working days and I spent a fair amount of time myself. Could it be benzene that I recognize in this composition? Let us hope not, since that solvent has been determined to be carcinogenic. Well, whichever liquid L'AME SOEUR is reminding me of, it's not something that I'd want to wear as perfume.

Although the alkaline quality of this composition is vaguely reminiscent of the Keiko Mecheri LOUKHOUM perfumes and also Stella Cadente MISS ME, here it is not accompanied by nutty turrón and just smells like an organic chemistry solvent to me--not at all like a floral aldehyde perfume (Chanel no. 5, White Linen, Calèche, Fleurs de Rocaille, Arpège...). Désolée.

sherapop's avatar
    sherapop

Badgley Mischka Couture by Badgley Mischka

What happens when you remove the peach from BADGLEY MISCHKA? You get the base, which appears to have been bottled straight up, with the addition only of a dash of pear, as BADGLEY MISCHKA COUTURE. This composition reminds me a bit of Grès CABARET, which showcases a somewhat sweaty muskiness, in complete consistency with its name. I myself have never really understood what people mean when they use the locution “transparent rose,” to be perfectly frank. But perhaps there is “transparent” gardenia, violet, and jasmine in BADGLEY MISCHKA COUTURE as well—in precisely the sense in which the Emperor's New Clothes are “transparent”.

My overall impression is that BM COUTURE was a quick and cheap flanker. Same bottle (dipped in a low-quality gold paint with poor adhesion), same composition minus the top notes plus a touch of pear. As one who never managed to comprehend the effusive outpouring of admiration and even gratitude for what appears in some select cases to have been an eschatological delivery of sorts occasioned by the sniffing of BADGLEY MISCHKA, I cannot muster up much enthusiasm for this flanker either. I don't really think that BM COUTURE is any worse than its namesake, but it's also not really any better.

[Editorial note: should any easily roiled readers feel a welling-up of offense in response to what may seem, judging by phonetics alone, to be my possibly scurrilous use of the word 'eschatological', I humbly exhort them to avail themselves of one of the many free online dictionaries of the English language only a few keystrokes away *before* succumbing to the temptation to press that pesky report button. Thank you for your consideration.]

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

Pleasant but mildly disappointing scent. It is quite restrained and easy to wear, but I kept smelling my wrist expecting more. I really find a hard time describing what it smells like, as it is pretty unique... But the closest thing that comes to mind is the scent of freshly laundered clothes. I really don't mean this in a negative way, but it just smells too subtle for my tastes... To add to the disappointment is the price... Invasion Barbare is quite expensive in relative terms for such a scent, IMO. I am not grading it lower due to this and I have nothing against high ticket scents as a general rule, but I know I will not be buying this one. 3 stars out of 5.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Definitely the best from Bvlgari, IMO. It is unique and well made. I can really appreciate the rubber accord here, as it blends pleasantly with the scent. I am not going to go as far as to claim Black is a masterpiece like many critics (professional and amateur alike), but I like it and recommend it. Just this 3 to 3.5 star out of 5 release first, as it is quite different. Great bottle too, btw.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

I like Mania, but only just. I get a lot of pepper with it even though it is not listed in the notes. That, and cedar. Pretty simple scent and not nearly the best option for either of those notes. That said, I like pepper and cedar, so it is tough for me not to at least like Mania, even if I still see it as a disappointment. 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.

Ambre Topkapi / PB by MDCI

A tenuous thumbs up for this one. It is fresh, with just a hint of a "BO" note just after the opening, but nothing offensive at all like some others (maybe the cardamom?). The strange thing is while I get a bit of amber, I do not get a whole lot... Projection is below average and longevity is about average. Overall a B minus from me. A relatively good 3 star out of 5 scent at a relatively expensive price with much better values available.

11th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 December, 2012)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Datura noir, as well as cleared up by my respectful predecessors, is a tropical mix of citrus, flowers ( the hallucinogen Datura and above all the voluptuous tuberose performing a starring role), with a white nutty-vanillic gourmand accord of balsams, heliotrope, almond and coconut. It's a sort of edible floral concoction sophisticated and lush. The link of citrus, some spices (cinnamon?) and almond produces a sort of apricot taste.  A touch of smoke over shadows the juice enhancing the darkness while the dry down is utterly smoothed by a cloud of musk. The gourmand notes are well dosed without overstating the starring floral (grassy/indolic/humid) soul of the fragrance. The strong floral presence, the balsams, the musk and the tropical beat remind me slightly A la nuit but in here the link tuberose-osmanthus-datura takes the place of the Queen jasmine mastering in  A la Nuit. A lush and multifaceted fragrance perfect for a romantic summer night in the course of a regal party in a seventeenth century palace. Longevity and sillage are unfortunately faint on my skin.

11th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 07 April, 2013)

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Adidas Fair Play by Adidas

Nope.
    Don't bother.
    Acqua di Gio clone number 2.29 x 10^4
    Lasts as long as this review.

bejahu's avatar
    bejahu

Rocabar by Hermès

Cedar and Balsam with a little cypress and vanilla to warm up the dry down. Rocabar is a very pleasant, refined, gentleman's fragrance. It is like comfort food, perfect for relaxing at home with a fire, a great book, and a cup of tea. For me, Rocabar is primarily a fall and winter fragrance, with good staying power that stays close to the skin. I enjoy it and recommend it to any one that is looking for a quality, warm, uncomplicated woodsy-oriental. Very nice.

bee hives's avatar
    bee hives

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

this smells exactly like aloe vera gel. like it on my sunburn, not in my private collection. get real, tom ford.

PerfumeCollector's avatar
    PerfumeCollector

Theorema Uomo by Fendi

There is something in the opening of this fragrance that does not agree with me and I think is too much geranium. I've never been much of a fan of geranium and this scent kinda proves it. It smells to me like stale water from old flowerpots. That note tapers off gradually and I do get to smell the nutmeg/vetiver accord (one of my favorite accords) but I do not get to enjoy it too much because that flowerpot is still there (induces a headache on me BTW).
    It is a quality and decent perfumes in all other respects, but that odd opening ruins it for me.

Radium Girl's avatar
    Radium Girl

Stella by Stella McCartney

I love this fragrance! I have been wearing it on and off for the past three years and I get compliments every single time I wear it! It is very long wearing on me, and I love the way it develops over the day.

If you are looking for a pure, simple, vintage-style rose then Stella is the way to go.

Radium Girl's avatar
    Radium Girl

Funeral Home by Demeter Fragrance Library

I am a flower and wood note lover, so Funeral Home is a dream come true for me! While it does last longer than most Demeter fragrances, it still has no where near the staying power one would want from a perfume. For the price this is a great fragrance.

Snifter's avatar
    Snifter

Poppy by Coach

Very sweet on me from top to finish. On the day I sampled this, a friend mistakenly attributed the sillage to fruity bubble gum (& asked if he could have a piece)!

KillerScent's avatar
    KillerScent

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Fruity explosion . You know, when you mix many colors , what do you get? black (or nearly black) .
    Whith this fragrance I have the same feeling , you get a hit of fruits at first splash, hard to distinguish, then it turns into a woody drydown .
    Not manly , it could be perfectly a women's fragrance .
    Disgusting

Klute's avatar
    Klute

White Gardenia Petals by Illuminum

This starts off with a run-of-the-mill waft of white flowers and then turns into plastic. This is not a very well crafted scent at all and I really can't understand the hype.

Naed_Nitram's avatar
    Naed_Nitram

Quorum by Antonio Puig

My dark and elder green, surrounded by the brown murmurs of the forest floor, deep masculine shadows, shafts of sunlight through the trees, warmth of subdued but urgent spices. After a while of travelling through a tunnel in the earth - gloomy, musty, warm, profound - I somehow emerged into a chamber of great distinction where a group of gentlemen sat around a large table, discussing matters of great moment. "Messieurs, brethren, cameradoes," I announced, "I assume we are gathered here to discuss the mysteries of the much maligned Quorum. How sad that persons of otherwise good taste and discernment should relegate this fragrant poem, layered with strangeness and with depth, to a universe of sweaty groins and over-muscled machismo! Are they mad or merely prone to overspraying? Ancient of days! Essence of natural nobility! Mystical odour of a forgotten race of Peasant-Kings! Warm and kindly, rough with the earth but purely royal, a tinge of sadness, and such a well of enigmatic depth!" (de Charlus).

Naed_Nitram's avatar
    Naed_Nitram

Cotswold by Dukes of Pall Mall

"I say, Jeeves, I was just about to slap on some of the jolly old lotion, but I can't seem to lay my digits on my Signoricci or my Bowling Green, my Marlborough or my Blenheim Bouquet. Have you seen them?"
    "Indeed I have, sir. I last saw them when I placed them in the rubbish, where I thought it best to deposit them."
    "But, dash it all, Jeeves, those are all deucedly fine scents - essence of the Englishman, skylarks and summer, flannelled fools, country house japes, sauntering through Mayfair with Biffy Montague-Evans, etc."
    "Fine scents indeed, sir, but I fear they all rather fade into insignificance compared with the discontinued and virtually unattainable Cotswold by Dukes of Pall Mall, a bottle of which I have just placed on your dressing table."
    "Cotswold? Dukes of Pall Mall? Never heard of it. Where did you get it, Jeeves?"
    "Well, sir, I believe we owe thanks to the estimable Mr. Good-Life for making it known to Basenotes and for writing a first and excellent review. It so happens that I have managed to secrete a few bottles of this elixir away for my personal use and so it seemed a tad churlish to deny my employer a taste of this olfactory delight. It really does constitute a zenith of unpretentious citrus perfection - pure, unalloyed, simultaneously soothing and uplifting, a veritable epitome of skylarks and summer, flannelled fools, and rolling English hills. And yet there is more. Through some extraordinary artistry, Dukes of Pall Mall succeeded in giving to Cotswold an intricate developing theme that would make most niche perfumiers gnash their teeth with envy. For, melting into the citrus, in the most natural and unassuming way, are ' a jasmine base - it contains Yland and other fleur blanche, whilst a hint of woods binds a fragrance that is both embracing and aromatic.' Yet this added dimension - which would surely make Mr. Oscar Wilde blanch with the beauty of it - is blended so perfectly with the dominant citrus tone that it does not jar in the slightest but remains at all times clean, light, and fresh. Thus it achieves the rare feat of pleasing both aesthetes and sportsmen, eccentricity and convention, Mr. Wilde and the Marquis of Queensbury."
    "It sounds fairly spiffing, Jeeves, but what if my Aunt Agatha doesn't like it? You know how particular she is. If she doesn't like it, she might cut my allowance."
    "I assure you, sir, one whiff of Cotswold and your Aunt Agatha is certain to double your allowance."

Roper-Hall's avatar
    Roper-Hall

Pour Un Homme by Caron

We all have read about taste memory and the madeleines of Proust, or the ratatouille of Anton Ego, food critic, in the film Ratatouille. Of course, taste and smell are two senses inextricably entwined, physically, as well as psychologically. No small wonder that parfumiers blend complex molecules to recreate the delicious odours of bread or chocolate. Well this fragrance had a memory moment for me that was long forgotten, and deeply hidden.
    My first haircut at a traditional barbershop: age 4. Traumatic? Overwhelming? Emotionally charged? All three, and as such, fertile ground for indelible memory. The clipping, snipping, and shearing of my golden locks caused copious tears and wailing upset. Nearby, father was beaming as his regular coiffeur changed ragmop son into miniature gentleman. At the end, as sweet talc and soft brush eased the pain, and dampened comb smoothed and lightly scented the hair, the grand finale was a misting with the fragrance.
    It may or may not have been Caron, but while I was misting my sons' sweaters with Pour un Homme yesterday, suddenly time crumbled, and I was back in that barber chair reliving the moment that I first fell in love with that delightful, splendid lavender.

B.I.G.'s avatar
    B.I.G.
    Moldova Moldova

Iago by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This is a darker interpretation of Encre Noir. When i smell Iago i imagine burnt forests, smoky air and ashy ground. Longevity and sillage are huge!

baubo's avatar
    baubo

Les Nombres d'Or - Oud by Mona di Orio

First impression? Addict by Dior. I will leave it to those with more attuned noses to appraise fully.

vbs's avatar
    vbs

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Bitter citrus and refreshing, sparkling mint explode off this one when it's first sprayed. Thereafter it morphs into a deliciously sour and grass-green heart that is bolstered by a rich woody base. The vanilla is not overpowering and sweet as vanilla often can be, but instead thrums subtly in the background lending a glowing warmth to the rest of the composition. The first half hour of this fragrance wakes you up; thereafter it is the perfect close-wearing, masculine skin scent. Whenever I am in the mood for a fragrance that not only makes me smell fresh, but also FEEL fresh, I reach for my bottle of Live Jazz.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Montaigne by Caron

A few minutes alone with Caron MONTAIGNE (edp) is time enough to convince me I am in the presence of a stunning beauty. While many floral orientals tend to go heavy on the syrupy sweetness, Caron has managed to keep the saccharine base to more tasteful levels, allowing the heart of the fragrance to blossom in all its splendor.

It makes me smile and I'm not even sure why. There is this certain joie de vivre about this Caron that simply lifts my spirit. Not unlike a secret joke shared between friends with a wink or a knowing smile. The barely concealed tension between powdery and lush floral accords is the cherry on the cake or if one is so inclined to think, the glossy red smacker that leaves a gentleman bewitched, bothered...and bewildered.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Yatagan by Caron

Yatagan, as I learned from a roleplaying computer game, is a curved scimitar with a single edged blade. Now why on Earth would a fragrance be named after a medieval weapon? It was probably random but I have wondered about it often. Until the day I finally obtained some.

Man, this stuff cuts through whatever I've been smelling earlier! Bitter and bracingly herbal, it resets my olfactory nerve. For much of its development it stays this way with patchouli adding a patch of brown earth to the mostly dark mossy green composition but as drydown beckons it grows drier and a little more resinous.

Yatagan's place in fragrance pantheon is assured and I respect that. But I doubt if I'll be wearing it anytime soon. It's a little linear and too one-dimensional for my tastes. And I have never come across a guy who smells this way so I don't quite get the masculine associations that others alluded to. I think I'd rather be intrigued smelling Yatagan on a sultry woman. Someone like Eva Green.

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Dia Man by Amouage

Dia is surely one of the most easy to wear fragrances among the Amouage masculines and, although this aspect is not enough to make of Dia a great composition, there are many other elements that contribute to its status as a "winner".

Yes, Gold is restrained and subtle but at the same time it has an extremely solid and thick structure made of dry woods and frankincense around of wich blooms a floral/citrus accord of incredible beauty. A slight suede note together with spices add an extra touch that sounds like a lash of tail working as a reminder that Dia is definitely a masculine fragrance. The drydown is (moderately) sweet with amber playing a remarkable part.

Overall Dia moves back and forth from powdery to woody via smoky-citrusy and does it with such a non-chalance we can only tolerate from an higher class composition (wich it surely is).

Don't let Dia tricks you as while it may result discreet at the same time it's incredibly long lasting and with a good sillage. A top quality fragrance.

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

Fracas by Robert Piguet

I have to say I am an oriental/gourmand kind of girl and was hesitant about Fracas.

No more! Most florals to me seem watered down, candy childish or hesitant in their composition. Not Fracas. This is a woman with confidence. Not syrupy or old-lady artificial. Just a lovely, unashamed tuberose with citrus for sparkle and a woody warmth.

Now, this is the way to do floral!

silentrich's avatar
    silentrich

Gendarme 20 by Gendarme

Gendarme 20 is a great soapy fresh fragrance that's perfect for a hot day. Starts with the lavender in the opening and settles into a soapy clean, but masculine fragrance. Great for days when you want to take a break from fragrance but still smell good.

jjnhl68's avatar
    jjnhl68

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

Just great! I can't stop smelling it again and again. It is so original and different... And much more for man than original one.

Craftsman's avatar
    Craftsman

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fresh and lemony, to my nose its a very pleasant fragrance. It seems to be quite clear to most here that it is more of a younger persons scent.
    First when had a whiff of it, it reminded of some other scent that ive smelled years ago in
    90`s. Like to hear comments, if there might be a cousin for this?
    I live in Finland "cold north", and regarding to other reviews consider my self a lucky person at least till now. If or when it gets here, I quess its a bomb specially for the younger crowd.