Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

mesaboogie's avatar
    mesaboogie

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I own London, Brit, and the Beat. Of the 3, London is by far my favorite. Burberry is very good at making all their colognes different from each other. London reminds me of the holidays. A lot of people say that it smells like Christmas and I agree. It would be perfect to wear on a cold winter day with a button up shirt underneath a warm jacket, walking through a snow covered park. The projection stays pretty close to the skin and longevity is around 5-6 hours. It smells mature and classy. It almost exudes elegance. This is a good casual wear and date scent best reserved for winter/fall. I couldn't imagine sporting this cologne while walking down the Waikiki stip wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals...that's what Acqua Di Gio is for ;)

mesaboogie's avatar
    mesaboogie

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This is a very unique aquatic. It doesn't remind me of walking along the north shore of Oahu on a warm day. It doesn't remind me of sailing on a boat while wearing an unbuttoned dress shirt and drinking champagne. It smells like diving into the cool, dark blue waters of the north pacific on a cloudy, rainy day. It's an aquatic that actually smells like the ocean. It doesn't smell like dirty, smelly ocean either. It smells like clean, salty, and heavenly ocean. It's the most unique bottle I've come across, especially since it doesn't stand up like a traditional bottle of cologne but rather lays on it's back. The sprayer is stealthily hidden in the back and it sprays a very good amount of cologne. This makes an excellent daily wear or date night scent for warm summer days/nights. It projects well and lasts between 6-10 hours depending on the day. Absolutely gorgeous and unique scent from Bvlgari.

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

The opening is very powerful and heavy on the florals. Mainly a white floral note that must be the mimosa. Jasmine soon joins the accord and finally the tuberose comes through in the base. The opening is just too much floral for me and there is a persistent indolic note throughout the entire fragrance. I’ve also come to realize that I’m not a fan of tuberose. At all. I’m not even sure I’d like this on a woman as it is definitely a feminine scent. Might be the worst from the C&S line.

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

A nice citrus opening composed predominately of grapefruit. The coriander begins to make its presence shortly thereafter. The grapefruit remains subtle, but detectable throughout. After a couple hours the oakmoss begins to dominate while the citrus is very subtle. Overall longevity is ok at 4-5 hours. Overall a nice fragrance and well done, but it is something that I like, but not love.

Cuba by Czech & Speake

A sharp blast of limes and bergamot in the opening. Pretty intense for a few minutes, but slowly fades and rum with a hint of mint become apparent. This is actually my least favorite part of this fragrance as I love the opening and the dry down. The tobacco comes through after the rum/mint middle and is fantastic, but on me it doesn’t last long. I’ve given this one several wearings and every time come to the same conclusion about the longevity. If the middle contained no mint to my nose and the dry down lasted longer and was stronger, this would be one of my favorites. As is, I can’t give this one high notes because of this.

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

A tamed down version of Montale’s Black Aoud. This one opens up with oud and roses. The saffron is definitely detectable in the background, while the oud is also light but ever present. As it progresses the dark rose becomes the predominant scent and there may be hints of sandalwood, though hard for me to detect. This one is definitely unisex, but for me I like the more overpowering and darker black aoud that does this scent so much better.

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

A bit dull citrus and woods scent with a background of incense. The opening is a short-lived citrus that is not overpowering or strong. The incense notes and woods take over, but again are oh so subtle. Overall, just a basic citrus/woods/incense fragrance that is both weak and has poor longevity. Much better stuff out there.

Neroli by Czech & Speake

One of those fragrances that does exactly what it says on the bottle. The opening is a bit overwhelming and a blast of orange flowers and neroli. Settles down after a bit and stays pretty linear in its course and slowly fades away. Longevity is great as it lasts 10+ hours on me and is one of the better ones from C&S.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

88 is a complex fragrance that evokes a different, yet wonderful reaction every time I put it on. A mixture of geranium and rose meets a subtle blend of incense notes mixed with faint sandalwood and vetiver. It is a dark and foreboding rose scent and most definitely masculine. A bit more complex than Black Aoud and also a bit more woodier. Comparisons to DC 1913 should not be made as they are quite different, but all three of these are well done masculine rose scents.

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

The ultimate lavender opening of a mix of French and English lavender. Subtle hints of bergamot and mint can be detected as well. After a couple hours the lavender begins to subside and a musky, oakmoss and sandalwood base resonate. Longevity is decent at 4-5 hours and hints of lavender can be detected throughout. A benchmark lavender fragrance to which all should be compared.

Rose by Czech & Speake

Opens up with a nice green and leafy note. The rose begins to creep in, but is a more subtle and lighter rose than used in C&S dark rose. This one stays the course fairly well and doesn’t stray much from the green and light rose vibe. It is enjoyable, though definitely very feminine. While it isn’t something I could wear I think it would be fantastic on a woman. Foe me, thumbs neutral, but for a woman this would be thumbs up.

Acqua Viva by Profumum

Such a really refined and long-lasting citrusy fragrance!!
    Lemon note is dominant, sparkling and bright. The drydown turns on cedarwood note, which is the most perceivable.
    Acqua Viva by Profvmvm is one of the best citrus based fragrances I know and I bought it!
    Just 2 things to say:
    - very expensive fragrance
    - its semi-oily texture, that makes it long lasting as well as all other fragrances of this brand

Aki by Tann Rokka

A somptuous, rich, long-lasting fragrance: its powdery character, due to the rich amber and sandalwood notes make it a warm, sensual, very attractive scent. Vetiver and patchouli give their slight smokiness and some of spicy accent.
    Excellent in winter time, it is a perfect evening and night fragrance, when cold and dark comes...

Leilahdancer's avatar
    Leilahdancer

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Very "artificial" fruit and flowers. Really smells like sour candy on me. All pineapple and sugar. Thank goodness it faded away in a couple of hours.

This may be great on some, but I really don't even like to eat artificial fruit flavors. Certainly don't want to wear them.

Amber & Spices by Montale

Really, I do not understand why Montale called this fragrance "Amber & Spices", as it clearly seems to be rather an aoud one, as it stands as the main note in it.
    Though, I can say that the usual medicamental scent of oud has been "rounded off" by precious woods and delicately heated by spices and an additional softening has been probably due to the amber presence, even if it is not clearly defined.
    Anyway, I like it as a further example of Montale's aoud interpretation.

Sheridan's avatar
    Sheridan

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I was one of those lucky Vogue magazine subscribers back in 1983 who opened up the newest issue and discovered a scented paper sample, impregnated with one of the most remarkable and exceptional fragrances theretofore. It was simply DIVINE; it was flamboyant, it was fun and it was very unusual. It was Giorgio Beverly Hills, and rightfully called "extraordinary cologne". There was nothing else like it.

To kipe a phrase from SJP's Covet ad campaign: "I had to have it". And because it was, back in the day, rather expensive comparatively speaking, I had to budget for it. But pinching my pennies wasn't a hardship at all; I would've cut back on almost everything just to get my hands on that juice.

To obtain it, I had to mail away for it. Yes, one had to send a paper check through the mail, and I waited rather impatiently for the parcel to arrive. But the wait was worth it. Yes, this was heaven!

Potent is an understatement, but I was judicious in how I used it, never more than one mist-and-walk through spray. I would not let it shout, but its presence was delightfuly apparent, and in those days before it became available in department stores, I had many, many appreciative comments and compliments. "What IS that fragrance? It is WONDERFUL!" I don't think I've ever received as many compliments on a fragrance I've worn since. It was absolutely a head-turner, for both women and men.

And so, I was a happy young woman, happy because Giorgio Beverly Hills is, at its heart, a happy, fun-loving fragrance. Happy because my chemistry made this fragrance blossom and sing, and this unique fragrance was "mine" and mine alone, at least for a short while. But soon enough, that all changed.

Everyone loved Giorgio Beverly Hills, and when it became available in department stores, everyone got it, wore way too much of it, and it became a sorry cliche; a cariacature that represented the worst of the 80's decade. Primo, the imposter body spray just magnified and further bastardized the situation. It was no longer "mine", no longer unique. And familiarity, while not breeding contempt, did bring a sense of cookie-cutter clones, the very opposite of my personality.

So, I put it away and moved on to other perfumes.

Gradually, others put theirs away, too, and it's now rather uncommon to catch a whiff of it while out and about. I can't remember the last time I smelled it on someone.

My bottle is now 28 years old and only the last third of it remains. The juice has slightly darkened and a few of the sparkling top notes are gone. But overall, it's still all there, still as fabulous and delightful as it was in the very beginning. And I still wear it now and then, without apology. It still suits me, still elicits compliments, still makes me happy. And that's what it's really all about, isn't it?

Ambra Aurea by Profumum

A dark, resinous, warm and sensual amber fragrance, probably one of my favourites because of its deep and obscure character, softened by some saline and rounding facets - surely due to
    its high percentage of ambergris that gives this fragrance its wonderful identity.
    As all other Profvmvm fragrances, its quite oily texture add a long-lasting but close-to-skin quality at the same time.
    Really addictive!

Theophani's avatar
    Theophani

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Been wearing this since I was a teenager, still my all time favorite. Sits the best on my skin and blends beautifully

Jovan Musk by Jovan

My mother wore this perfume in the 1970s, and continues to wear it today. I have only worn it a handful of times so far but it has left quite an impression on me.

It is subtle, without going unnoticed. My favorite aspect of this perfume is that if I accidentally apply too much it is not overwhelming. Where other perfumes have failed me in the heat of the summer this perfume has stayed with me without changing its smell. After a long day at work, that is certainly impressive. I love that the smell does not fade throughout the day.

This perfume is quite simple and delicate. I have never had an allergy attack while wearing it. For those who are a bit sensitive to certain perfumes this may be the solution you have been looking for.

Adidas Moves for Her by Adidas

This was given to me as a present years ago. Out of all the perfumes I have worn this one received the most compliments. I no longer wear perfumes like this anymore since it no longer suits me, but I certainly would not complain if anyone near me wore it.

The only thing about this perfume that needs warning is that a little goes a long way unless you want to wreak of it.

I would recommend this perfume for females who do not want an overwhelmingly girly scent. It has a nice balance to it.

English Lavender by Yardley

This perfume is easily one of my favorites. I wear it quite often when im at home because it has a soothing quality to it. I guiltily spray my bed with this perfume since I absolutely love to smell it when I walk into the room.

I rarely wear it out of the house because I find the scent is easily lost in the big city.
    However, if I am going to the theater it is always the first perfume I consider. Even though it is meek next to most other perfumes after the dry down it is still present. I have had numerous compliments from my fiance when I spray it into my hair.

Considering the low price, it is definitely worth the small investment.

MOONB's avatar
    MOONB

Skin Bracer by Mennen

With vague notes of mint, powder, and leather, Skin Bracer smells like Brut without the skank. It's also similar to Clubman by Pinaud, although I find it strange that the much-older Clubman smells more modern than Skin Bracer. For some reason this particular aftershave by Mennen smells stodgier, although if you're looking to capture that barbershop scent, you could do worse. I'm not particularly fond of these crude wetshaver fougeres. They tend to smell sythetic, and Skin Bracer suffers from the same stinky-sweet drydown of its peers. But all things considered, this gets the job done, and all for under $10.

sherapop's avatar
    sherapop

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Fresh, clean, flowery and powdery. As ingenuous and natural as can be, APRES L'ONDEE has no hidden, inner, subterranean depths to penetrate, and thus differs rather radically from my concept of classic Guerlain--especially from compositions such as MITSOUKO and L'HEURE BLEUE. Yet this perfume is beautiful, too, in its own way. My distinct impression is that Prada was trying to capture something like this aesthetic in its Infusion series, especially INFUSION D'IRIS edt, the most recent launch, to which violet has been added. The INFUSION trio is also very clean, but it is far more woody and, in the case of INFUSION D'HOMME, soapy as well. There is no soap in APRES L'ONDEE at all. The cleanness of this scent is that of fresh rainwater-washed purple flowers, no more and no less.

Although APRES L'ONDEE features key notes--violet, iris, heliotrope and anise--in common with a number of other more recent perfumes, here they are presented in an unsweetened state and without other components which tend to muddy the waters somewhat. There is not a single speck of dirt anywhere to be sniffed in APRES L'ONDEE. For that reason, some people may find this perfume simply too simple, more like a nineteenth-century violet soliflore than a masterpiece. However, those who seek out high-quality notes such as are featured in the sometimes simple perfumes of niche lines are bound to appreciate APRES L'ONDEE. In my case, the appeal is overdetermined: I love niche-quality notes, in general, and violet, iris, heliotrope and anise, in particular!

My understanding is that this perfume has been discontinued, and I'm thinking that maybe that's not such a bad thing, since at least if I manage to acquire a bottle it will not (I presume) have been disastrously reformulated.

perfumenut's avatar
    perfumenut

Aria di Capri by Carthusia

Aria is an odd duck. It literally makes me sick when I smell it at the nozzle. The thought of wearing it puts me off. When I initially tested it, I was repulsed with the artificial "peach candle" scent that I detected. However - there it was stuck on my skin, in the heat and....I couldn't stop smelling it (in a good way) after a few minutes! My nose was plastered to my wrist the rest of the sunny afternoon. Day 2 - same thing - hesitant about testing it, but once on my skin - irresistable! Bottom line, warm, sunny peaches, aldehydes and some bitterness (bay leaf?)....won't grab it often, but when I do, it'll be hot and sunny out and I'll just spray it on without thinking about (otherwise I might change my mind)...like I said - an odd duck.

alfarom's avatar
    alfarom

Wild Aoud by Montale

Not as bad as I expected. While Wild Aoud doesn't stand out among the infinite offering by Montale, at the same time it's a quite succesful blend of woods and astringent (sort of citrusy) artemisia/geranium. The oud note is restrained and used to just add some boldness while the strong woody drydown enriched by a slight fruity vibe place Wild Aoud somewhere between Pleasure For Men and Assolo. Nice.

13 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2011)

bonzo's avatar
    bonzo
    Germany Germany

Knize Two by Knize

the roses and the violets are killing me!!!!...................this is a light floral !aldehydic grey flannel in a bed of roses............it reminds me of a feminine perfume ..........was it tresor by lancome ?or even bois des iles by chanel? it´s well done and unique but a better choice for a woman- soft,sensual, warm and too smooth in the drydown.

13 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 16 September, 2011)

Sneki's avatar
    Sneki
    Serbia Serbia

Shalimar by Guerlain

After all tese magnificent reviews, I was wondering if i should write something. Well...here...about perfume of all time. Most perfume created by real nose, remains as perfume for all times. I thik that, perfumery industry turned to FMCG as well by intoducing serials of new parfumes with new molecules and formulas and no real concept or idea, but the tought of earning. Perfumes were always art, so I am wondering why they were turned to this? Perfumes are sensed by the eldest part of the brain: rhinencephalon and only truly freeminded and sensitive people can develop good composition.
    I am sorry for this huge intoduction, but I wanted to express my opinion on the difference of the "old" perfumists who was creating their perfumes with heart and soul, and new trendy FMCG perfumes.
    My flirt with this perfume dates back to 1995. I tried it again, but unfortunately during the summer, when some strange notes developed on my skin. Fortunately, I had a decant with me and tried it again. What to say...perfection made back in 1925.
    It opens with lovely citrus notes wich represent the intoduction to the most beautiful powder I ever sensed. Everything is perfectly done with right measure: sweetnes, citruses, woody and balsamic notes.
    It would be nice if manufacturers does not forget that perfumes are like painting, like music, that someone have to give to them their soul...othewise they would fall into oblivion.
    Shalimar has heart and soul, which provided it with eternety in the perfumery world.

13 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 05 October, 2011)

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

Adidas Originals pour Femme by Adidas

Mediocre though joyful fruity floral, initially sour and pungent but subsequently smooth and woody.  At the beginning you smell the pungency of fruits (orange, grapefruit and above all pomegranate the most notable) but, as well as  the fragrance morphs towards something smoother and soapy, the angular beat of the fruits starts fading and the dalicate changeability of jasmine and magnolia starts soaring. A touch of patchouli and sandalwood imprints a woodsy final stableness and texture to an otherwise too banal juice. Better than a slap.

RobAtSGH's avatar
    RobAtSGH

Clubman Musk by Pinaud

It's simple to describe Clubman Musk - Clubman, except less assertive, less sweet, with a barest hint of synthetic musk instead of oakmoss. As close to the original as anything else in the line. If you own/like Clubman, the musk version is so near as to be essentially redundant. If you don't already own Clubman, this isn't a bad place to start in the line - a powdery barbershop fougere with the slightest of animalic underpinnings. Pleasant, but easy to over-do, so use sparingly. While it's labeled an aftershave, slapping on heaping handfuls will earn you naught but scorn.

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Brezza di Mare by I Profumi di Firenze

Brezza di mare? More like brezza di niente or sumthin, tss tss. What a shame, too. I totally need some Italian in my wardrobe because I can pronounce it.

Anyway, this isn't much more than a heavy dose of white musk and some fruity overtones. There isn't anything aquatic about it, but it is a "fresh" scent. It's also a bit unique, so it has that going for it. Unfortunately, although it's not bad, it leaves me feeling completely indifferent.