Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

elbenja's avatar

Eryo Blue by Yves Rocher

The longevity is poor and it is a bit synthetic-smelling. However, I do get a lot of compliments when I wear it. Good price, as well.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I think everybody on here is overreacting. This is a competent entry into a well worn genre. It isn't terribly unique, but it is a bit unique amongst its "fresh" peers. It has a beverage-like quality not unlike lemonade. In fact, I would say that this fragrance is the lemonade to L'eau par Kenzo Indigo's iced tea. It's quality, like the whole line, and when worn it always makes you think, "gee, that's nice." As people approach you you will be confident that they will like your lemony goodness. Also, even when pressed against the nose and hard-core-huffed, I never detect anything artificial-smelling (but we all know that all perfumes contain artificial ingredients).

If this were gifted to me, I would certainly wear it, possibly often. It definitely has a pleasantly unobtrusive quality, and not once during my testing was I even slightly off put. In fact, pending further investigation, I may snatch me up a bottle.

When a brand does something you're not used to, it's easy to just yell, "sell out," but then you might miss something great, like "Bleeding Me."

pheta's avatar

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Love it. Spice and Apple pie that dries down into a nice woody base. Best for daytime fall and winter. 4 Sprays.

Cerel9's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Let me tell you exactly what this smells like: Take mushrooms, make a dessert out of them by sweetening them, and make this a Japanese style of dessert (i.e. not too sweet and with a little bit of asian spice in there). That is exactly what this smells like: ASIAN DESSERT MUSHROOM. I'm giving a thumbs down, though, because who wants to smell like asian dessert mushroom?

hanna.sunden's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Opium gives me a headache because of the persistent carnations and the peach (a note that has a similar effect on me in Nahema) that go off with a blast from the very start. Other than these two, I picked out the initial citrus, then patchouli, cinnamon, incense (myrrh?), on a heavy base of musk, amber, sandal/cedarwood and vanilla. I do appreciate the fact that it's a well-made, iconic scent with a strong personality – something that's all too rare these days. It does smell very seventies and slightly dated in all its hippy-ish oriental glory.

MissLucy's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I feel that this perfume is the bubbly younger sister to No5. I find it needless to compare the two since they are likely not aimed at the same consumers.

Coco Mademoiselle was a gift to me. I had raved about No5, but when my fiance arrived at the store he could only recall the name Chanel. The lady asked my age, and suggested that I must have wanted Coco Mademoiselle because I am in my twenties. It was the first time I had ever smelled this perfume, but I was not disappointed. However, if you like the classical things in life you may not enjoy this perfume. Its citrus notes are a little strong, so expect to smell young and vibrant all day long.

I honestly give it a thumbs up, because regardless of it not standing up against the originals it is on its own a strong contender in the land of perfumery. It is easily recognizable which in itself is a bad thing, because it is obviously a popular scent. If you want your scent to set you apart and show your personality from others, then I suggest you steer clear of this perfume.

If you are looking for a bubbly, fun & well crafted perfume, this may the one you are looking for.

alfarom's avatar

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

It's actually pretty bizarre how I don't get any sweetness out of Cuir Ottoman. To me this composition is all about an hyper-realistic leather (brand new bags/shoes), a sort of smoky/woody tea note and orris. Vanilla is not enhanced in its sweet aspect, instead is handled in a very similar way to the one in Dzing (smell of paper/books).

Despite being inspired by the Ottoman Empire this is an extremely modern composition. A soft leather that will, more realistically, appeal to fans of Dzing than other popular floral/leathers.

Personally? I love it! One of the most true to life examples of a luxurious leather jacket.

Totally unisex.

muskydusky's avatar

Jovan Black Musk for Men by Jovan

I bought this blind because it was 75% off at CVS, and I can see why they are discontinuing it. I just sniffed the bottle a moment ago and can tell I'm not going to like it nor desire to wear it. It smells like a boring, generic scent drug store aftershave that always makes me think of dads. I've smelled toiletries that had a better added fragrance than this. I won't give it a thumbs down because I reserve that for offense scents. It is not offense per se, just a VERY cheap smelling drugstore cologne. I might even return it even though it was only five dollars. A MAJOR disappointment considering how fantastic the original musk is. If I paid full price I would have been back the same day.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Boss Orange Man by Hugo Boss

A predictably poor offering from Hugo Boss. Sweet, cloying, lightly spiced and ultimately unrewarding.

The generic aura is maintained by some impressive longevity, but aside from the very easily pleased, this will impress very few.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Bulgari Man by Bulgari

Bulgari Man reminds me of a multitude of fragrances, none of which would grace my skin on a regular basis. The wafted violet note in the opening leaves give the illusion of a tea presence, but I discern little to connect it to recent Bulgari output.

It is subtle to the point of being invisible, and is perhaps a cogent defence against fears of excessive application. Man operates within such narrow and safe parameters that accusations of mediocrity are all but impossible.

An excessively safe, and ultimately superfluous addition to the Bulgari family.

nonnative's avatar

Quel Amour! by Annick Goutal

While I love Goutal bottles her scents are not my cup of tea. Too light and without great personality. In my opinion they can't become classics, even if I know l'eau d'Adrien is pretty famous and admired. This Quel Amour seems to be divided in two main parts: the first all floral, the second fruity. The first reminds me (I don't know why) of Diorissimo (which is a masterpiece in my opinion) and last only a few minutes. The second part is fruity and sweet without any character. It lasts a little more than the second. I didn't gave QA a thumb down because of the trace of Diorissimo.

MissLucy's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

This perfume has an innocent sweet smell to it. My fiance loves it because it smells playful, but I honestly do not like it as much as I initially thought I would. If I was 16 I would likely be in love with this scent.

I would not advise this perfume to anyone over the age of 16. The first impression from this scent is certainly not one of maturity. Rather, one of innocent youth at play. Mainly because it smells like candy. For the first hour I do not mind this, but after a while it makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. It is not an unpleasant smell, so much as it is not my cup of tea.

If you are looking for a long lasting scent then you will not be disappointed because this scent lasts all day.

Rykiel Woman by Sonia Rykiel

Perhaps it is partly due to the Bedrock-inspired packaging, but RYKIEL WOMAN strikes me as eccentric enough to have been a bespoke perfume commissioned by either Wilma Flintstone or Betty Rubble. It really is both odd and rough-hewn. One thing is clear: it smells like no other perfume familiar to me.

The combination of dates--which smell more like burnt sugar here--and leather, produces a serious source of discord in this composition. It may be an acquired taste, so I'll have to wear this perfume some more in order to decide whether it is ingenious or just a mistake, better suited to the wife of a troglodyte than to someone like me.

Anne Flipo created RYKIEL WOMAN, which provides me with some motivation not to simply give up, and I'm certainly not going to be parting with this wild box and bottle anytime soon. I especially like the pseudo-gold-pebble-encrusted cap, the pattern of which is reproduced on the front and the back of the box as well. Pebbles, lest we forget, was the daughter of Barney and Betty Rubble! Moreover, a version of this very landscape-inspired pebbled pattern may well have used by some of Bedrock's haute couture dressmakers, who, as we know, were frequented by both Betty and Wilma.

Other reviewers, now apparently devoted to RYKIEL WOMAN (one reports having bought out the 13 bottles of remaining stock at a store where it was being discontinued!), have expressed confusion with their early experiences of this perfume as well. Perhaps, then, there really is some method to the neanderthalic madness--the apparent cacophony of what seems to me even after a few wearings to be a fairly random assortment of heavy-handed notes.

Jaïpur by Boucheron

I am always fascinated by the range of responses elicited by the perfumes of the house of Boucheron, and JAIPUR is no exception to the rule. To my nose, this perfume opens with lots of sweet red roses, not unlike Annick Goutal QUEL AMOUR! As it develops, however, JAIPUR follows a very different trajectory from that fruity-floral composition.

Eventually, JAIPUR becomes a smooth, only slightly sweet, light oriental on my skin. To my nose, the famous fruit tart which so many find here is more like a buttery (benzoin) pie crust upon which a few finely ground baking spices have been sprinkled. By the drydown, the discernible rose note has completely disappeared, but it is never really replaced. The clearing out of the roses allows the buttery, lightly spiced pie crust to emerge, but the elusive fruits remain hidden from me.

I was surprised, actually, to learn that this perfume was the work of Sophia Grojsman, because it is quite a bit more subtle than most of her unmistakeable, iconic, tatoo-like creations, and nothing like any of the fruity perfumes from her oeuvre with which I am familiar. I would never, ever have thought to compare JAIPUR to TRESOR, for example.

JAIPUR refuses to unveil its hidden depths before me, so I'm left, in the end, with a polite, light oriental much closer to a skin scent than the sort of bold, declarative perfume which I have come to associate with its creator.

Darvant's avatar

Caractère by Daniel Hechter

Respectful powerhouse very, very leathery and velvety in its final development. The first blast is moderately green, citrusy and floral. I agree, since the beginning  and going on Caractere smells  less raucous, spicy and angular than the majority of its homologous from the same age and in light of this it is a less bold and brash kind of powerhouse fragrance. Carnation and jasmine start waving around since the beginning while a link of leather, animal notes, moss and jasmine endly projects a sort of vervety brown kind of smell less citrusy, spicy  and green than usual for the powerhouse fragrances of the era, on the contrary more brown, warm, leathery  and nutty of the average. I love the final link of oily patchouli, dusty amber and coconut which enhances the velvet of the leather, the viscosity, the animalism and the nutty sweetness. In its warm, slightly  resinous and animal final link of incensey and a bit resinous patchouli it reminds me more than vaguely the great and unfloral Mazzolari Lui which is a more smouldering, resinous and temperamental  kind of scent. This one smells obviously drier than the Mazzolari one. The projection is very close to the skin.

14th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2011)

Roper-Hall's avatar

Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain

I have worn Bd'A several times now, and although I am not a huge fan of vanilla, I have decided that this fragrance develops the style of vanilla drydown that I enjoy. The oriental accords are heavenly, but what is really pleasing is that after 6 or more hours, after all the the other notes have taken their leave, the basenotes are still warm and comforting; as smooth as a superb single malt scotch or an exquisitely heady cognac.

14th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 15th September, 2011)

Quel Amour! by Annick Goutal

I see red! Wear QUEL AMOUR! and you will too: wild roses, rose geranium, red currants, pomegranates, and cherries. Yes, there's an awful lot of red going on in this rich fruity-floral perfume, and all of it is good! The fruits and florals are well-balanced, each carrying their weight and not being drowned out as is often the case in fragrances of this kind. The other primary virtue of this creation to someone like me, with whom fruit notes are notoriously uncooperative, is that these juicy red fruits really are fresh. They are not plastic or artificially sweetened or rotting or sour or vaguely (or profoundly...) emetic. Not at all.

It goes perhaps without saying that I am not really, in my throbbing red heart of hearts, the fruity-floral type, but QUEL AMOUR! has made a believer out of me (along with Ineke BRIAR ROSE, which is even better...). Yes, it is at least *possible* to create a wearable, enjoyable, fruity-floral perfume for adults. For years, I believed that the sheer possibility might be precluded by some arcane law of perfume logic, but this sort of composition, albeit rare, roundly refutes that hypothesis.

Although QUEL AMOUR! is relatively simple, it's quite nice for what it is and certainly leaps and bounds better than the vast majority of fruity-floral BHT nightmares on the market today, most of which are pointless and some of which I find even painful to wear. The red here is saturated, making this perfume rather assertive. The longevity is also good, like a deep red wine stain on a white linen tablecloth. Even after a full night of sleep, the rose geranium, in particular, lingers on...

14th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 17th September, 2011)

Akahina's avatar

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

OK, there seems to be some mixed reviews of this fragrance, but this is one I really like. To be honest, I am not all that familiar with Oud, the real thing. I have M7 (vintage tester) and love it and have sampled some of Montale's Ouds and love many of them, especially Lime Oud and Black Oud.

This one is different and delicious. I do get that fruity start from the plum and the rose all mixed with the woody oud smell. For me there is a sort of heavy smell, somewhat of a waxy nature and quite delicious; I assume this must be the honey. The rose kicks in quickly and in my opinion is very masculine. When they say it is a 30% concentration I believe them. The spray on my wrist took a long time to dry leaving an oily sheen.

As it dries down it becomes even more complex losing the plum and fruity notes but with a nice rose, vetiver, patchouli and oud combination with the musk coming on shortly thereafter. Delicious and unique, very urban and modern.

This one seems to have a nice strong projection and silage, and it lasts! I could smell the wonderful fragrance 8 hours later as a woody musk, and even the next day there was still a hint of the aroma on my wrist. This fragrance kept me intrigued with it's aroma as I continued to smell my wrist for hours. The scent is a bit mysterious to me and I just could not get enough of it as I tried to figure it out.

This one is sexy and a favorite. I don't care if the ingredients are artificial and complaints from some about being a chemical concoction may be well founded, but if it smells this good, I simply don't care. This one could be a signature scent for me but at the price of $310 for 100m it is a commitment! I will be looking for a good deal on this one.

Bottom line! I think this one is brilliant, unique and a must have fragrance for me.

Edit: I did find a good deal on this thanks to a wonderful basenoter, and find that I am loving this more the more I wear it. This is not something I will wear every day but when I do wear it I am very happy. A single spray works just fine..OK, two.

14th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 21st October, 2011)

Aredore's avatar

Play Intense for Her by Givenchy

I've kept samples of "Play" and Play Intense for Her in my jewelry box for months. They were freebees when I bought moisturizer at Sephora. "This one" said the SA, dangling the plastic packet of Intense over the bag, "is my favorite. It smells soooo goooooood!" I try not to grimace as I smile and nod.

It's funny how the designers will list all of these exotic sounding florals and woods in their new releases, when in reality they are hawking liquid penny candy. Intense smells for a brilliant split second of blueberry and then devolves into a cloying sweet amber possessing the disturbingly addictive and slightly wrong dichotomy of powdery and chewy sweetness found questionable culinary anomalies like circus peanuts. It smells like the caramelized bottom of a macaroons, like reams of button candies and is purple like the non-latex medical gloves used in dental offices.

Most specifically, this smells of a kind of chalky, candy cigarette I consumed as a child. I used to hold them between my index and middle fingers like a real cigarette, wear an inappropriately haughty expression for an eight year old and slowly gnaw on the end of it, pretending to smoke and imagining myself as a very rich and classy older lady.

A perfect metaphor.

14th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th November, 2011)

Swanky's avatar

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Initially, I missed the boat on this one. It seemed at first to be a variant on the Le Male genre, but actually it is quite different, sharing only a sweet character. Where Le Male is dry and powdered, Eau des Baux is rich and warm.

Indeed, I find this to be a gourmand once the middle and drydown settle in. If you like Play Intense or Rochas Man, this is a well-done take on a similar style. I find it close also to Hypnôse Homme and La Nuit de L’Homme, opening as they do with woody notes. Cedar seems prominent with EdB, but in a more natural fashion than the others I've referenced. Eau des Baux has been called an amber, but to my nose it seems to be a straight-up vanilla fragrance upon drydown with the woody elements decidedly in the background.

I wish I lked this genre more because Eau des Baux is a very well-done rendition. I recommend it heartily to those who seek an affordable yet classy version of the gourmand ilk.

14th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 14th April, 2012)

Roper-Hall's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Approaching Pour Monsieur is like stepping back in time. I well remember standing at the perfume counter in Simpson's (long gone now), trying the Diors, Givenchys, Chanels and YSLs. Even then I disliked certain elements of perfume, and they still trouble me so many years later: powdery drydowns being the main offender.
    I used to consider Pour Monsieur one of those wonderful men's fragrances that just came up short because of the powderiness, but lo and behold, either my sensibilities have changed or the perfume is different. I recently sniffed and even bought a 50ml., and was pleasantly surprised to find Pour Monsieur to be a citrus chypre without a hint of powder! I wear it regularly now and am well on the way to a second bottle. So, better late than never, I guess.

14th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 04th July, 2012)

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

This one I can't say I "hate" but I definitely dislike it and don't want to wear it again. I have no problem with masculine rose scents in general, but No.88 is a bit "in your face" and overpowering at the start with the rose and bergamot notes... then it turned sour and medicinal on my skin making me take pause... Shortly afterwards, the medicinal smell faded and the incense kicked in big time and stayed there to compliment the dry rose. This part is probably the best part of the scent, but it just is too much for me. I can understand the love this one gets, but I think it just is not a fit for my personal tastes and I definitely could see this 2 out of 5 star release being somewhat polarizing. Try before you buy.

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Very nice scent here from Amouage. It is quite powdery, but not over-the-top. It is pretty fresh and somewhat reminds me of freshly cleaned clothes. I just recently smelled another scent that had a similar vibe in Invasion Barbare, but while that highly lauded (and even more expensive) scent left me a bit cold and unimpressed, Silver draws me in and shows its worth. I think the cost of Silver is pretty steep for what you get, but if you have the scratch, you are getting a quality scent that is very versatile and pleasant smelling while setting itself apart from most of the junk being released nowadays. Recommended, with a rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.

Ciel Man by Amouage

I really am having a tough time isolating the notes here, but I do get a slight briny urine note that seems to permeate the otherwise semi-fresh nature of the scent. I have to give Amouage credit for going in a unique direction here, I just question if it is a direction I or most others would want to join with them in. The scent is not bad, but difficult to wear and in my opinion way overpriced (and that is coming from someone who has purchased one of their other scents, so no high price avoidance issue here... I just call them as I see them). 2.5 stars out of 5.

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Hideous to the extreme is all I have to say here. I do not get blood or semen as some get... I just get a hideous milky metal accord that is absolutely repulsive, making my eyes blur, and is the first scent I have worn that physically makes me sick. I am wearing it as I write this and I really have to wash this off me... NOW. The sample I acquired was an experience that I will be sure never to forget, but I should have avoided it as others have wisely advised several times over. This one gets my vote for worst scent ever... What was Turin thinking in giving it 5 stars?... No way does this deserve any more than one from me!

Sadie's avatar

Venezia (original) by Long Lost Perfume

I still have 1/3 of a large bottle of the original and I still love it!! Why do so many of my favorite perfumes keep being discontinued? As a matter of fact, I cannot even find one of them in this Directory!

Wow - I'm looking at the Ebay listings below this review box, and someone is selling what appears to be the large bottle of the original Biagiotti EDT (and EDT is the strength that you want - trust me) for less than $20!! But I digress . . .

I know that it isn't listed as one of the original ingredients, however I have always smelled leather in the drydown phase of this. Has anyone else also had that experience? I believe that this could very well now be classed as a 'unisex' fragrance. If you find a bottle of the original, at a reasonable price, buy it, if not for yourself, then for your best friend, male or female, who likes to wear strong, adventurous, unisex fragrances. But warn them to use it sparingly the first time.

Picollo30's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

this one is so overrated. everyone and his dog wears le male nowadays. its sickening. i prefer rochas man or my givenchy pi if i want to smell vanilla.

jtd's avatar

Diva by Ungaro

I owe Diva a bit of an apology. It's a heavy rose chypre, an era-specific genre (70s-80s) that I love. In the past I've noted that I like some of Diva's cohorts more than Diva. (Paloma, Knowing, Scherrer, La Perla.) I've tended to point to what I find 'off' in Diva. Too much honey sweetness, not enough green, a bit soft for a chypre.

Well, on reflection, I was wrong. When I see Diva as a hybrid rose chypre/oriental, it comes beautifully into focus. What I used to see as a simple honey sweetness I now recognize as a wonderfully sweet, waxy-honeycomb scent that connects the heartnotes to the spicy amber drydown in a rather lavishly paced transition. I used to want more brash green with more patchouli and moss in the drydown. What was wrong with me? While there is an identifiably chypric drydown, the amber emphasis is both comfortable and stirring.

A few other bits make Diva's evolution so interesting to keep tuning into. Right from the top there is an identifiable rose, but it is woody rather than green or dewy or brightly 'floral.' It calls to mind both rose and rosewood. And there's a slightly acerbic note that balances the honey and ties it to the dry spiciness that lasts through the entirety of Diva's drydown. Also, while I still hold that Diva is a rose chypre, there is an indolic note that suggests white flowers and keeps the rose from reading as strictly dark as in Scherrer or La Perla.

MrFragranceReview's avatar

Bond No.9 Perfume Oud by Bond No. 9

Completely uninspiring, boring and uninteresting. It's hard to remember what it smells like because it's so generic and plain. It's pleasant but thats about it yet it's strong in projection and longevity.
    It's kind of 'gummy', fruity and is slightly rosey with a light hand of our. Quite fit for a woman rather than for a man. It smells rather cheap at times, I'm not against synthetics at all like most people(if it smells good then who cares?) but it doesn't smell all that great. There are so many better options out there.
    The only reason to buy this is if you have deep pockets and you like Bond No.9 as a house. While Bond has many of my favorite scents I buy single fragrances, not because of what house it comes from.

MrFragranceReview's avatar

Bryant Park by Bond No. 9

Being a guy, this is something I would never wear as it's too feminine for me with it's raspberries and rhubarb.
    That said, I would love to smell this on a woman and when I sampled it it was one of those scents I kept going back to my wrist. It's sweet and tart at the same time with a nice lush rosey center and would be great on a woman.