Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

PerfumeCollector's avatar

Mr Blass by Bill Blass

This is a clear case of love at first sight, the moment I ripped the cellophane of the box and a whiff of the scent reached my nostrils I knew I would adore this perfume.
    It smells like all my favorite perfumes from the 80's, Quorum, Azzaro pH, Van Cleef & Arpels pH, Fendi Uomo, etc, but in a gentlemanly way, it is not brash and most important, without the "in your face"attitude of the ones just named, it could be said that is a tamed powerhouse, a powerhouse for the 21st century.
    To me the dominat note is leather, it reminded me of the car smell of a new car with leather seats, or the leather section of your furniture store, and that leather smell is present from the get go and not just in the basenotes.
    Underneath all that leather there is a vetiver note wrapped up in a tobacco leaf and some patchouli, but leather is the king note from begining to end.

MrFragranceReview's avatar

Central Park by Bond No. 9

VERY green with plenty of bitter greens, verbena, lime citrus and plenty of wood.
    It's very pleasant and extremely green and long lasting as typical Bonds. It's not great but it's pretty good. If you love your fragrances super green this is definitely one you should check out.

MrFragranceReview's avatar

Chelsea Flowers by Bond No. 9

A very typical white floral that's slightly more fruity than floral. It's very generic and the price tag does not do it any justice. An easy pass for women and men who don't want their woman smelling like a typical white flower fruity fragrance.

Azel1488's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Great Fragrance the use of lemons in this case are just right i can smell the vanilla the combo
    is perfect i usally do not like CHANEL products but this is going on my favourites shelf ...

Brit for Men by Burberry

The first time I smelled this I just gave a small spray and let it air off for a few minutes before making a decision. It wasn't something I liked, AT ALL. I pretty much had the impression most of the negative raters had.
    I encountered it again when one of my coworkers was wearing the scent. I would say that I could definitely smell the woods and rose much better that time, and I even asked him what it was. I think this is one of those scents you have to use lightly and wait for the dry down before being able to fully appreciate it, and my nose doesn't lie.
    I hate particularly sweet smells, as they tend to give me a headache, but I think used in the right amounts and given enough time to settle down, this is actually one of my favorite scents.

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

The first time I smelled this was with my bf, who at the time smelled very nice. I remember thinking it was exactly like the kind of scent I was looking for.
    It's not a scent you'd risk using too much of... in fact I'd say it has the opposite problem. It doesn't seem to last quite long enough. On my skin it doesn't last very long at all, in fact.
    You have to use it abundantly to give it a good amount of sillage, and when I do I usually spray it on my clothes instead. I haven't had any problems with the scent being overbearing while using it that way.
    The scent itself is very well balanced. The tobacco and the cedarwood are definiely noticeable for me. It's aromatic, woody, smoky in a sweet way, and I've gotten nothing but compliments while wearing it. Not overbearing by any means.
    I mostly wear it because I like the scent, but it's also one of my go-to smells when I want to smell nicer.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Eau d'Été Summer Edition by Issey Miyake

I own both this and the original and I have to say that both are nice scents. This is certainly more subdued than the original Eau D'Issey. They both seem to be built around the same skeleton, except that this scent uses some fresher notes. You don't risk overpowering yourself with this scent like the original. I usually spray it more liberally, especially considering that this is something I love to wear in the heat. The scents are refreshing and last a decent while. I've probably used more of this cologne than any other one I wear. definitely good for a day scent. Not bad for other uses. I don't imagine it'd be everyone's favorite, but you can't go wrong with this one. It's certainly one of my favorites out of the smells I've tried.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is a great scent that I think is just misunderstood by some. This is one of those scents best taken in moderation. Too much can definitely be overpowering. Spray just the right amount and I can smell lots of great things for hours on end. I smell the florals, the woody notes, the citrus notes, the musk, and the spiciness. I would definitely not call this aquatic, but I can definitely see how some people might pick up the citrusy scents and call that aquatic. It's a very complex scent, to be sure, but it works out. I disagree with some of the comments saying this is feminine. The presence of florals doesn't automatically make a scent feminine. It isn't an especially SWEET smell you might expect from more feminine products.

I find this is pretty common that people may spray too much and judge a scent by the initial burst of overwhelming aromas, or on another cologne I saw reviews for, 100% of the complaints were by people who used it to deodorize their bathroom by spraying it in the air! I mean c'mon... really? Almost ANY fragrance used in high enough amounts will smell horrible. In this case it's just easier to use too much. So that would really be my only warning. Less is more. Use in moderation and this will smell MUCH better. Also, the dry down is nice and woody with some musk and spice to it. I suspect many people who rated negatively would like it if they followed this and waited for the dry down.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

You can definitely smell the grapefruit and anise on the initial application, and the wood comes out more as it progresses. I like it for the grapefruit and the woods, but I think the overall sweetness makes it less enjoyable than it could be. It doesn't work well. I bought it and wore it for a while. I wouldn't wear it again now that I have better things to wear. You might like it, you might not. I personally think it's more tolerable than not, but could definitely use some refining.

Cologne pour le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A valid option for anyone who's into softer, lighter, close to the skin fragrances but got sick and tired of "unscented", detergent-like smelling perfumes.

A sophisticated and elegant blend of honeyed rose on a slight smoky frankincense base. Masterfully balanced, consistent but discreet and with a remarkable personality. Good work.

Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne

Comparisons to Eau D'Orange Verte are inevitable, expecially to the Concentre version but where the Hermes stays pretty linear on the unripe effect, this one turns to a sweeter slightly-ambery drydown. Personally? I'm not a fan of either but if you're into true-to-life citruses compositions (actually mandarine and orange), go ahead...

The_Cologneist's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

BLV Notte is virtually the same as the original BLV for men. The only big difference is that it's a little less loud and powdery. The original BLV has a loud ginger note in the opening, while Notte may have it, it's much more subdued and blended with the other notes.

BLV Notte, is extremely smooth, and very hard to categorize. It's floral, aquatic, fresh, oriental, and a little spicy. Those who may not like powdery fragrance, but want something powdery in their arsenal, this is the way to go. A must try for any fragrance lover out there. A complex masterpiece, and one the biggest compliment getters I own.

Other notes: Longevity is above average. Projection is great for the first 2 hours, then it dies down.

MrLenny1979's avatar

Regence by Avon

I wear this and it smells FAB ! I love it, one of my FAVORITE Classic Avon Fragrances...

jimmysmellworld's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Just what i've been looking for. Despite being cautious with regards to purchasing something blind on the basis of favourable reviews, I took the risk with Rive Gauche and I have to say i'm extremely happy. On this occasion I had some criteria for a new fragrance purchase in that I was looking for a long lasting, non generic clubbing fragrance, something classy and fresh as opposed to generic/sweet and it looks like YSL have nailed it with this one.
    My initial impressions were that of the typical 'brut' old school generic scent, something quite cheap and unimaginative which did alarm me slightly as I didn't buy this for nostalgic or retro purposes. Fortunately it dries down (give it some time) to a very smooth, fresh and slightly creamy 'shaving foam' smell; that of a old gents barber but done in a very modern and appealing way, you'll just smell clean and classy which in my opinion is exactly what you should look for in a hot clubbing environment. The A*men and Body Kouros bottles still have their place on a night out but this makes much more of a statement, just in a subtle and refined way.

I'd wear this on any occasion at any time of year/season

The longevity is good, around about 6 hours initially then it sinks in closer to the skin for another 3 hours.

When dried down, forget the 'old man smell' vibes that others talk about. This will get you compliments from all ages.

If you're to test this in a store, spray on your arm and leave it for an hour before jumping to conclusions and buying a bottle of 212 instead - Please.

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A clean, citrusy vetiver that confirms the general high quality of the MPG's offering during the 80's but, at the same time, it doesn't completely satisfy me. Generally I prefer bolder and darker interpretations of the main theme but, if you're into fresher vetivers, you definitely have to try this. In this specific case It's really just a matter of personal taste as this is, objectively, high quality stuff.

Oolang Infini by Atelier Cologne

Oolang Infini opens remarkably interesting with a smooth blend of tea leaves "energized" and refined by a perfectly executed bergamot. Neroli makes its appearance right away joined by a consistent, but never overwhelming, woody note and some vetiver. An extremely delicate suede note winks from the back while the composition evolves into a modern revisitation of the classic Eau De Cologne.

Ollang Infini is a solid candidate to become one of the best interpretation of this classic theme in years. An elegant and interesting option for anyone into lighter fragrances.

Harvitz81's avatar

Alt-Innsbruck Eau de Cologne by Alt-Innsbruck

I use this as an aftershave more than a cologne, but longevity is typical of an EdC and can last for hours. I shave at night, so it never clashes with my cologne for the day. As noted by bokaba, on application there is a strong menthol blast that is probably the best cooling effect I've had from any menthol based aftershave. The scent to me is intoxicating. I get absolutely no tobacco from this. The scent is that of tobacco flower and is much sweeter and powdery. Don't use this thinking you are getting a tobacco scent ala pipe or cigar tobacco. Really basic stuff made from high quality ingredients. Can definitely be used as an EdC in the morning and will last for several hours. I've used a ton of aftershaves though and this one ranks number 1 easily. The several hours before bed are filled with this blissful scent often. This is also very much a love it or hate it scent, and for me it is one I love greatly.

Rain by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is a disturbing and slightly repellent scent for me. It is the scent of someone who has just burst into the house after hiking through the hills all day. That almost indecent wet fresh oxygeny air smell; damp jacket, wind-blown hair. But the part which makes is unpleasant it the hint of wet dog. It makes me jump away from my wrist with a shudder. It's not the smell of 'rain', its the smell of 'rain on things'. I just wish those things had been leaves, rocks or even soil, not barbour jackets, hair and dogs!

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

I tried quite a few vetivers in search of one that suited my taste. I found the Guerlain a little too light and soapy, the Creed too minty fresh and leafy, Encre Noire too heavy and smokey, Vetiver Extraordinaire gorgeous but with an upsetting greasy waxy tinge. Grey Vetiver is not bold or strident; The vetiver is very dry with a touch of smokiness, its density is illuminated by citrus, but the balance is very careful. It's a restrained, sophisticated scent; flat, clean, cool and simple like a slab of aluminium. It doesn't shout; just hovers calmly above the skin. I can imagine the niche-lovers pining for more personality. But this was just what I was looking for.

Azure Lime by Tom Ford

I think this is a seriously underrated fragrance; I love its woozy citrus&floral complexity. It starts out with a huge burst of citrus (lime, lemon, orange, bergamot) But it's not a clean translucent gin and tonic lime, it's a thick complex key lime pie without the cloying sweetness. After about ten minutes, the citrus curtain begins to part and you can begin to detect what's been supporting it. It's gorgeous, heady florals like jasmine and neroli, and something warm and very slightly powdery - perhaps iris. From about fifteen minutes onwards, it's just heavenly. The sillage backs off and the warm citrusy jasmine floats around on a carpet of calm musky wood (sandalwood, patchouli, tonka bean, musk and oakmoss). It smells fresh and sultry at the same time. It isn't sharp or incensey, but a large soft and warmly luxurious hug. I adore it.

As other people have mentioned, the longevity is very poor. I can get a maximum of 4 hours out of it, with the last hour being barely detectable. For the price, this isn't really good enough. Whoever created it needs some tips from Jean-Claude Ellena who seems to have no problem keeping his fresh translucent scents going for hours.

kevinz4444's avatar

Basi Homme by Armand Basi

This was a blind purchase (a tester) and I am really glad I decided to try it. To my nose, this is Jacomo de Jacomo "junior" with a non-linear progression and a few nice wrinkles up to drydown. Jacomo de Jacomo in the black bottle is dominated by cloves, and I like that too; but if you are put off by the strength of the cloves in Jacomo, you might be more pleased with this.

The scent ingredients pyramid is not shown for this offering on the Basenotes site, so we are left to guess...but Basi Homme in the rounded-off square bottle seems to have a sort of lemony-clove start, changing to a Kenneth Cole RSVP wood-with-clove middle, and a soft sweetness with a hint of clove during the close-to-the-skin drydown.

I personally find this very enjoyable in its several progressions -- I wish it had greater longevity, but if it had longevity, it would probably be Jacomo de Jacomo....

Izzy's avatar

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

For the people that enjoy the butterscotch drydown of this fragrance you should checkout Robert Cavalli Black that one also has a nice butterscotch drydown.

AZsmells's avatar

Dunhill Custom by Dunhill

I was expecting something similar to Creed Spice and Wood but this one is very different. The apple and black pepper notes do not stand out. There is no sickly sweet apple fruitiness like in the DKNY fragrances. Instead I get something similar to a subdued apple cider mixed with incense. In a way I feel this fragrance could be better with a more distinct apple and black pepper note. There is nothing really spicy about this fragrance. Overall I feel this is one of the better designer fragrances I have tried this year but the quality could have been better.

Overall rating 6.5/10

jtd's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

I had no notion until I smelled Gold Men that I'd formed an image (fantasy) in my mind of what the old-school animalic floral/orientals of the early 20th century were. On smelling Gold Men, I realized that I had, and that this was it.

Sensational, huge powdery animalic fragrance. Now I understand why these old perfumes were both powdery and animalic. If you do it right, it's brilliant.

As spectacular a ride as the top and heartnotes of this perfume are, the drydown is one of the best I've smelled. It's there, softer and quieter than the topnotes, but it remains fully-fleshed and complete. The drydown isn't just a ghost of the heartnotes.

Gold Men is powerful and distinctive. Not for shrinking violets, not for somebody who doesn't want to be identified for his scent. Certainly not for someone who wants to read as contemporary in a pop or trendy sense. Gold Men is more a leader than a follower in this respect. It is one of a very few fragrances that I could wear forever and be utterly happy.

15th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd September, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Hollywood by Playboy

A common recipe, indeed a citrusy-lavender opening with a smoothing rosey heart and a woodsy musky-ambery-vanillic base. Boring and highly synthetic. Close conceptually or in the smell itself to fragrances as Code, La Nuit de l'Homme, 212 Sexy Man, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, One Million and many others, it doesn't add nothing to your personal (eventual) charm nor to the wide olfactory universe. Poor longevity.

15th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 07th March, 2012)

drseid's avatar

LP No.9 for Men by Penhaligon's

LP is a good spicy scent, opening with some nice brief citrus top notes before making a quick transition to plenty of clove, other spices and even a hint of cinnamon in its heart. The only gripe I have with LP is the sweet vanilla and amber dry-down that somehow seems a bit out of place with the rest of the scent. Excellent longevity and sillage here with LP No. 9. 3 stars out of 5.

15th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27th December, 2012)

scent_of_life's avatar

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Much different than many of the other leathers out there! While I can't say it's the best, it is up at the top! To me it comes across a bit dry at first, but at the same time, the top notes are very lively. Has good sillage on me. Yet, after a short while, it does recede to the background and becomes very close to the skin. I like that though! Cozy!!!

Mysticman's avatar

Borsalino by Borsalino

Reminds me a lot of Givenchy's Xeryus, but with a hint of smokiness in the woody base notes. Similar fresh, green, spicy and coniferous opening and middle. Borsalino is a bit more understated, but clearly of the same lineage. I like it!

qwerty73's avatar

Bois des Îles by Chanel

If you have the opportunity to get the parfum version, i would do so but if not, the EDT is just as wonderful. Its lovely.

baldheadjim's avatar

Eau de Verveine by Penhaligon's

Great start. A masculine dry down. I noticed a pencil shaving scent. Is that the sage? Did not even make it in to work from morning commute and it was finished (45 mins) Glad it was a free sample