Fragrance Reviews from September 2011

Peegore's avatar

Infusion de Vétiver by Prada

Poor Infusion de Vetiver. It gets no real love on other review sites or even the forums here. And I don't really understand why.

I guess its because it doesn't slap you around the face with a rooty vetiver punch to the nostrils from the first spritz. Yes, Vetiver lovers LOVE their vetiver, and the haters go without. But for people like me, this strikes a perfect middle ground.

On application I get a slight citrus/pepper zing, but this is very fleeting, and immediately the fragrance sets out its stall for the next several hours... a mild, pleasant, even uplifting soapy green vetiver with a hint of a herbal background. To my nose fairly linear but lovely.

The projection is good for up to two hours, then it the sits close to the skin for a further 3 or so hours of it's life.

Like I hinted at earlier, I'm not the biggest vetiver-heavy fragrance fan, and sometimes feel I should at least 'make the effort' now I'm in my early 40's. And in my efforts to try, Infusion de Vetiver hits my sweet-spot. Daniela Andrier I tip my hat to you.

Oh, and for those who say this quickly dries down to Infusion de Homme. Really? I couldn't disagree more.

Vitamin B Complex's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This isn't the best scent in the world but it's a quality scent for two reasons:

- The projection

- The purpose

If you want bang for your buck, if you don't want to spray your fragrance and it be gone after 5-6 hours, if you want compliments, if you want to stand out, if you want to feel 'clean', buy this.

However, due to the wrong type of people bandwagoning this scent, the sort of people who spray fragrances like there's no tomorrow in the hope of guaranteed sex, you will not be unique if you wear this. It's a shame after the amount of fragrances I've researched that I feel horribly generic when I wear this, but it's popular for a reason.

It's a quality fragrance that all fragrances should aim to replicate in terms of lasting power and value for money; it's expensive but it lasts.

Wouldn't recommend for a night out though.

Initial by Boucheron

I am starting to wonder whether the house of Boucheron has a conscious ambiguity agenda going, as INITIAL, like so many other perfumes of this house (with the notable exception of the original powerhouse BOUCHERON) refuses to commit to a category or even to exhibit any sort of consistency from wearer to wearer. To my nose, this creation begins briefly with a tangerine/mandarin-spiciness evocative of the openings of a number of florientals familiar to me.

However, as INITIAL develops, a very strange mid-stage emerges, in which the pepper and cassis leaf (I presume) somehow combine to produce a dry cigarette-ash effect. It does not smell dirty here, as in Givency HOT COUTURE (which I do not like at all--in part because of the artificiality of the raspberries in that composition). Instead of smelling like a dirty ashtray, INITIAL mimics during its mid-stage (which lasts a few minutes) the scent of clean cigarette ashes--as oxymoronic as that may sound.

But wait, there's more: in the drydown, this perfume morphs again--at least on my skin, and according to my nose--into a honeyed-almond layer which lingers on and on and seems to bear no relation to the dry cigarette-ash stage, although it's not completely out of synch with the citrus-oriental opening.

Overall, I'd say that the identity of INITIAL is very difficult to pin down: it capriciously defies categorization and seems to manifest different notes to different wearers and even to the same wearer at different times. Given its manifest elusiveness, I'm not really surprised that this perfume was discontinued. The one thing that I can confidently assert is that INITIAL is both nonlinear and unique!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

A shimmery and restrained composition that is warm and perceptibly rootbeer-like. Myrrh and patchouli is what I got most. No honey, no leather, and certainly no iris. At least that's what my little sampler said to my nose.

To my mind BOIS D'ARGENT recalls Annick Goutal Myrrh Ardente, after a couple of Valiums that is. Kinda hard to get a rise out of this, know what I mean? The composition has surprising tenacity considering its frequency is pitched so low it keeps one guessing as to how much natural ingredients are actually in use. 'Bare minimum' is my guess.

It's not a bad fragrance but at this price-point of perfumery, 'not bad' just doesn't cut it anymore.

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Cannabis Rose by Fresh

All I can say is congrats to the perfumer Jerome Espinette who did an excellent job with this fragrance! We have in Cannabis Rose a new interpretation of this paradoxal flower – without a trace of grandma´s rose - this scent it´s delicious and clean/dirty at the same time.
    It´s technically perfect – structure, projection and longevity. Sure this is not a fragrance to everyone because it´s strangely very audacious and mysteriously fascinating... for me it´s more than exquisite since I love different smells!!! And I sorry but have to tell – it´s much better than a lot of others roses scents made by big houses. Well, it´s a new and extraordinary way to know what can be done with a raw material who has being used untill the edge in all over those past decades... and If this ain´t "art in perfumery"...
    9.5/10.

Roper-Hall's avatar

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

Love at first breath. This opens like a Louis Armstrong song; raspy, deep, and powerful. The caraway,lavender, and rosemary nearly overwhelm, but then the citrus and rose accords start to assert themselves.
    Just after the top notes start to harmonize, the woody aromatics begin to rise up, ever so slowly: a mild growl of an Armstrong riff. The tender sweet lilt of patchouli sustains an exotic rythym as the florals start to swing. The cedar, myrhh, and tea fuse like a jazz trio of bass, sax, and piano, creating an elegant balance where none outshines the other.
    This scent turns sleepy, and then suddenly rises up, the same way that good music swells and surges, keeping in time to your own heat and beat. Hours later, when the lights are low, you can still smell the warm, deep, essence of the basenotes, and vaguely hear that Armstrong "yeah!!".

LadyDragonFire's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

An old friend of mine told me she thought this is one of the best men's fragrances she has ever smelled, so naturally I was curious and wanted to try it. :) I suspect she meant it was one of the best fragrances for a guy, but lately I've been experimenting with some masculine and unisex fragrances so it seemed like a good time to try this. :)
    I am really glad I got a sample, because I agree with my friend 100%. This is definitely one of the nicest masculine fragrances I have ever smelled. I also agree that it reminds me of Irish Spring soap, but I've always loved Irish Spring so for me that's a good thing. I generally find that perfumes that smell like soap are highly wearable and pleasant smelling, and I honestly don't understand why some people seem to dislike them! (Unless maybe the fragrance smells like soap and it's ridiculously expensive. I can see not wanting to spend a fortune to smell like something you can buy for a lot less money.) I believe that this is a fairly inexpensive fragrance though, so I really don't have any problem with it.
    Although the scent reminds me of soap, I can also honestly say that I can differentiate some different notes in it too. I can smell the evergreen (which is really nice and not harsh at all) mixed with something that smells like mint to me but which is probably actually a combination of the lavender, thyme and sage mixed with the citrus. It comes out smelling really minty to me though. It's a really nice fresh, outdoorsy sort of fragrance. I think I would find it extremely sexy and alluring on a guy, but I would definitely wear it too. It gets a big thumbs up from me, and of course I highly recommend it! :)

Dior Addict Shine by Christian Dior

come on girls, there is nothing bad about this other than the longevity.

I would categorise it as a floral fruity with a backbone (that is cedar). Unlike the Escadas and Moschinos this smells playful and elegant at the same time. I can smell raspberries first of all. A little bit of citrus only (myself not a fan of citrus fragrances , which is a sign there is no tangyness overdone here). Gardenia and Cedar to further balance it.

Like I said it is kind of a careless and happy scent yet elegant, a lot less cloying than its sister J'adore. I would say it feels like wearing elegant white designer outfit in summer and no lingerie under.... I know ;)

wirral guy's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Still a great smell but the current formulation of safari(on me)has no real lasting power and fades quite quickly this is the only fragrance in my collection that i have had to respritz on the same day of wearing.The version of safari i had in the 1990s was a lot stronger than the current formulation and its sad to say that the current version of safari is a shadow of its former great self.

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

marshmallow & tabacco. Very original and twisted as well :)

Lily & Spice by Penhaligon's

One of the white flower fragrances that does not turn stale on my skin.

very elegant and feminine and the cinnamon gives a little twist so you wont smell like a flowershop :) It is then one of those warm florals

RuffDawg's avatar

Splendor by Elizabeth Arden

I use this as a "doggie scent". It doesn't work on me, but it's awesome on my PitBull. It's a very fresh, clean, "just bathed" scent. Much better than "oh! My dog" & other pooch scents we've tried.

notmenoeb's avatar

Romania Romania

Parfum Sacré by Caron

I bought it unsniffed and I have been wearing it for three days now, but the first impression that still hovers in my mind is that it is such a disappointment. I expected this to be a true (sweetish, flowery, heavy/heady) oriental (like Coco which I truly love)- and I figure it could only because of the excessive presence of spices( especially the black pepper and myrrh).

The flowers in this are really shy and few, thus the coldness, sharpness and harshness of this perfume.The connection to the name is made via the untouchablity feeling it creates - this is a peculiar perfume to be worn by some (I can fully understand why some reviewers mentioned gothic cathedrals, darkness, solitude). It still challenges me to find its beauty. It is similar to Shalimar, but to the point that both share incense - but in Parfum Sacre (on me at least) it is present throughout all the stages, while in Shalimar the vanilla and flowers make it more warm and round. It is a peculiar perfume in which the rose and jasmine are so well used that one can not tell their obvious presence.

I guess it takes some time to fully understand, appreciate and wear it accordingly in contrast to the many modern sugary concoctions. On my skin (which loves Shalimar, Coco, Absolu, Organza, Mitsouko and other true stars) at all stages it smells coldish, harsh in an abrasive sense. The middle notes make way for a powdery feel, while the drydown is a true oriental, but by this time it is really hard to detect on the skin. If it had a longer life then the true oriental would have had a say in this - and in my opinion here is where it loses some ground to other orientals which I prefer much more. I love NU (from Yves Saint Laurent) - which uses many spices, but even that was a lot warmer and it had more spices, so I do not understand.

I have the 3.3 oz/100ml EDP bottle, but this is not as long-lasting as other EDPs (the bottle reads an 87% concentration) which makes this EDP last only 4 maximum 5 hours on my skin (while Absolu lasts for 8 hours in the same edp concentration). This was a surprise too from Caron.

I will surely reconsider buying other Carons, especially unsniffed, despite the sparkling and praising reviews (I was considering Nuit de Noel, Montaigne, Bellodgia and Pour une Femme), but I will rather invest in something else more feminine and less sharp (as the EDPs of other companies last for 6-9 hours while these last only for 4).

16th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 30th October, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Far Away by Avon

Strange fragrance initially herbal-fruity-medicinal-barbershop kind and furthermore a bit aromatic-dusty, floral and vanillic but with an undertone of almond, DDT, violet and peach. The link of coconut, violet, ylang-ylang, peach and orange develops in a powdery-almond sort of smell with an after taste that reminds the apricots, very talky, floral but pungent. The smell since the beginning is dissonant and the final powdery development doesn't stop at all the dissonance and the high level of bitterness, sourness and pungency.

16th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 13th December, 2011)

Darvant's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

In the same vein of Ho Hang and Equipage this smooth lemony-grassy and silky-mossy juice is an absolutely refined and perfectly balanced fragrance that combines in a masterly olfactory harmony a well equiped hesperidic opening with a grassy-spicy heart (ginger, cardamom, coriander) and a mossy-woodsy distinguished base. All the stages of this clean, airy and exotic concoction are compacted by the linear combination and fusion of the merging notes and all the elements are amalgamated by a touch of animalism and by the fluidity of some balsams in the way that the outcome is one of the most worldwide refined, unresistible and subtle smell of indipendent and beyond fashions gentleman. The formula is very complex and despite not listed i detect in it a touch of tobacco, just a touch of delicate floral essence and benzoin-vanilla. A silky-milky-grassy royal lemonade under my nose. Forever.

16th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 22nd December, 2011)

Beauxbatons13's avatar

Burberry Body by Burberry

While this isn't very impressive or unique, I find it beautiful in its' own right with amazing projection. If I have this on my wrist and move my hand to touch my hair or lean my chin on my hands I can smell it instantly. This is a beautiful pretty light scent that has a floral woodiness drying down to almost a weaker less sweet mayotte.I have to say it lasts all day on me 12 hours or more and I've even been able to smell it after showering. One downfall to the longevity is that around 8 hours it begins to take on a smell kind of like a stale sugar cookie and that's when you know it's time for a touch up.

Edit: it has been a fair few years since my first review. Burberry Body is almost a signature scent for Me. I have a small rotation of perfumes but I just like this one on me so much.

16th September, 2011 (Last Edited: 27th July, 2014)

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Cuoio by Odori

Despite my allergy to birch tar (which didn't act up too much with this), I still have to give a positive review. Cuoio isn't terribly "leathery," but it is a fine fragrance. It's sort of a leathery, soapy, fruity, smooth, fresh fragrance. The vetiver and patchouli stand their ground, so it never smells like x (I typically make mental comparisons to something when a fragrance has too much of either). It's very wearable, modern, and unisex, but it's never a "me too." Sometimes it resembles one of those fruit filled breakfast bars, and it occasionally bears a slight resemblance to that Angel Men Summer Sunessence (or whatever it's called)

Unfortunately, due to my allergy to birch tar I won't be able to get this, but I will absolutely be trying Odori's other offerings.

And another thing, this could make a good substitution for Helmut Lang's masterpiece.

Fleurine's avatar

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Maybe my favorite tuberose and my favorite orange blossom. A wondrous creation in the classic French style. Heaven on earth.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Fraîche Badiane by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

There's a blurry line between negative and neutral, and there's a blurry line between neutral and positive, but there is a thin line between positive and negative, and this sprints towards that line, trips, and breaks it's ass. Fraîche Badiane has, at its core, a really rough, masculine. herbal smell that could very well be patchouli but I'm not that sure to be honest. This is some outdoorsy stuff that will throw hadukens at everyone in the room if you overspray. It's just as overbearing as any mother-in-law. There's also some nice citrus and anise on top, but they do not conceal the beast at all.

The truth is, it is a pretty good smell, and it's never irritating or unnatural-smelling, but damn if it just doesn't work when worn.

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

Yet another evasive creation from the house of Boucheron, JAIPUR SAPHIR is what I'd call a "via negativa" perfume, by which I mean best described in terms of what it's not:

Not flowery, not sweet, not sharp; not spicy, not aquatic, not dark; neither cologney nor aromatic; not loud, not fruity, not nutty, not woody; not resinous, not musky; neither dirty nor dusty. No relation whatsoever to its namesake and predecessor, JAIPUR.

The only non-negational thing that I can think of to say about JAIPUR SAPHIR edt is that this smells to me like a very subtle unisex niche composition with carefully measured components woven together to form a sort of atmospheric scent which defies deconstruction. I find it impossible to tease out individual distinct notes. It might be very lightly tinged green... then again, maybe not.

Definitely perfume-police approved.

Leilahdancer's avatar

Skin Musk / Bonne Bell Skin Musk by Prince Matchabelli

What can I say? I like it. I agree it has something in common with Shalimar. It's a bit sweeter, but definitely not candy.

For the price, I'll take my spicy, vanilla musk fix in Skin Musk, any day.

cello's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

If you can weather the initial burst, this fragrance is much more than a gourmand, sweet mess. The licorice, anise opening is just verging on cloying, but it never crosses that line for me. The blend of these notes stay deftly balanced, but present. The combination is beguiling.

After 3 - 4 hours, it calms down to a beautiful woody aura with the faint sweet residual notes mixed with vetiver. Whiffs of this beauty will stay with you for hours. In fact, if this fragrance took one step off the pedal in the opening, and one step further on the pedal in the base....I would say perfection for this blend. But still, pretty darn good.

Still around after all these years and worthy of an exploration or a revisit. Extra lovely. Much more serious than the fun bottle would suggest.

Trouble by Boucheron

Here comes TROUBLE! Yet more radical disagreement over a perfume from the house of Boucheron. I really love this one, with its eccentric lemon-cream opening, its clean jasmine and its benzoin-like barely sweet "amber" drydown. I find the entire trajectory of this creation both comforting and slyly seductive. Simple, yes, but luscious all the same.

I'm trying to understand what's not to like here, but maybe it's a case similar to black licorice: some people love it; others hate it. There's nothing more to it than a matter of taste. If you don't like smooth golden benzoin-like amber drydowns and creamy lemon openings and lush jasmine devoid of indoles, then all I can say is: tant pis pour vous!

manicboy's avatar

Sandalo by Etro

Does Etro still make this? Picked up Sandalo a few years back and it's a light woody scent if there ever was one. Is there real sandalwood oil in here? I would seem to think so as sandalwood is a very intricate and multi-faceted material from what I've smelled over the years. Sandalo plays on your nose: is sandalwood this smoky and rubbery or are they ancillary notes that were added to enhance the juice? I would lean toward the former but I'll never know. What I do know is Sandalo is a fine ode to sandalwood and is one of the best out there. The question is: Can you still find it?

AussieC's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Brit for Men by Burberry

I have to say this is one of my favorite scents. Okay I agree.. Hints of baby powder at times, but the top notes are amazing. Really.. I enjoy the topnotes of scents... Especially this one. Anyway, do not mind the baby powder myths. Brit only smells like that on paper and from sniffing the cap. Otherwise it's amazing.

Great compliment getter. However you do have to be close to someone for them to smell it's. So I'd say it is kind of an intimate scent. And by the way, in high school right now and this scent works great. I don't smell like another jock with their acqua di gios or fierce. This scent is inoffensive and great for the younger crowd; the opposite of what burberry aimed for but hey.

Starts with a sharp slight peppery sweet smell. Then it gets even sweeter and a bit gourmand. So if you don't like sweet scents. This is a big no. I get the feminine part of this scent but hey the girls like how it smells on me so I can't really complain

Scent life could be longer though. I average 5-7 hours and I want 8-10!

Overall 8

AmateurFragMan's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

I first encountered Brit in a magazine "scent tab" years ago and immediately wanted a bottle of it. I eventually got the bottle later on only to be disappointed. I remember the first blast being a blitzkrieg on my senses. At the time I just thought it was too busy, but the reality of it was my nose just wasn't mature enough to appreciate it yet.

Sensibilities change and my appreciation has grown from mere appreciation to complete enjoyment. This is now one of my signature scents for fall/winter. When I first spray this on I'm hit with a strong dose of ginger, which is what I suspect gives this fragrance that "powdery" feel to it when combined with the florals and tonka bean. I also sense vanilla, though there is no vanilla listed in the note break down.

Brit is a very spicy and woodsy fragrance. In fact, I have to wonder if the perfumer wasn't thinking of Christmas when they were thinking this up. It seems like the perfect fragrance to wear to a Christmas party or Christmas Eve/Day get together. It's certainly tailor made for cool/cold weather. Even though there are florals in this, if I had to pick one color to describe the scent of Brit it would have to be grey.

I absolutely love Burberry Brit and highly recommend it. There will always be a bottle of it sitting in my wardrobe.

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Lonestar Memories smells like an Oilman wearing an amber fragrance at a barbecue (well, sort of). This is quite a challenging composition. It opens with a blast of spicy-smoky leather that smells halfaway between tear gas, tar, burnt rubber and, yes, barbecue. Myrrh and amber make their appearance right away adding a consistent dose of sweetness while the smoky feel remarks its presence throughout.

While Lonestar Memories is anything but easy to wear I'm still compelled by its daring smell. I tend to classify it more as a conceptual fragrance than a body one but it's definitelty a successful example of perfumery as an art.

If you're into pretty/clean fragrances, stay carefully away as this is anything but lovely.

Now I see where Lisa Kirk took the inspiration for her Revolution.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

The smell of silence. Meditation incense, deep amber, spices. Isolationism, immense desertic landscapes, silence.

An extremely rich oriental composition that is incredibly able to mantain a perfect balance between deepness and lightness, opulence and wearability. An intense blend that smells like a successful levitation phenomenon by a trascendental meditation master. Not the masterpiece I expected but surely an evocative fragrance.

No more words, enjoy the silcence.

Vétiver by Piver

A vetiver where freshness is achived with an unripe green apple note in the opneing. It dries down to a retrò woody-fragrance that's still pretty likeable but, maybe, not as interesting as it is during the opening. Nice and inexpensive.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Cellini by Fabergé

Visiting my friend Marcel in his hospital bed the other day, he clutched my arm and whispered hoarsely: "You know, mon cher Nitram, I have such fond memories of the long discontinued Cellini by Faberge! It was the summer that Albertine and I undertook a motoring tour of the Italian countryside, and the smell of Cellini seemed to surround us everywhere - a splendid opening of lemon and herbs and - the thing I remember most - a unique development of such a sunny resinous warmth. I have never known its like in any other scent! It really seemed to sing of the Italian summer, good food, good fortune, happy futures, the promise between Albertine and myself! And to see me now, surrounded by the smells of disinfectant and tapioca pudding, bored nurses and self-important doctors! Albertine gone, Cellini gone, myself almost gone, and you standing there, twitching, unsure how to console me! Empty beds of the dead!"